Shady Grove Fertility

804-500-9999
7607 Forest Ave
Richmond, VA 23229
804-256-2986
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Geof Tidey to a friend?

7.3

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Be prepared with your questions because he’s not going to over explain things unless asked. He [Dr. Tidey] will explain everything but he’s not “chatty” so it will be direct and brief...colomid and timed intercourse. After doing that for 3 cycles he told us that it was time to move along. He said we could keep trying but didn’t want us to spend all of our money and emotional currency on a potentially dead end treatment. We did 3 IUIs and none of them worked. I was on the fence about a 4th round and Tidey told me it would be a waste but he didn’t stop me and ultimately allowed me the choice.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Tidey has an awkward bedside manner. He is a little socially awkward and more comfortable talking about the process and the procedure than he is making small talk and putting you at ease. He is very throughout and puts so much care into every decision and suggestion he makes. He puts his patients safety first and is very direct about what your options are. He doesn’t sugar coat the options and is very direct when making his suggestions about your car. He does a great job balancing your right and need as a patient to make your own decisions with not allowing you to spend too much time wasting money and time doing expensive treatments that aren’t going to work. In a truly emotionally overwhelming moment his direct and balanced insight and medical treatment is exactly what I needed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Geof Tidey at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be prepared with your questions because he’s not going to over explain things unless asked. He will explain everything but he’s not “chatty” so it will be direct and brief.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Geof Tidey at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is very matter of fact so while you are very much treated like a human he is incredibly detached in the way he speaks to you. You aren’t a number, everything is tailored to you and he’s very well versed on your case but it’s going to be very clinical.
Describe the protocols Geof Tidey used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I came in with unexplained infertility and so he had us try colomid and timed intercourse. After doing that for 3 cycles he told us that it was time to move along. He said we could keep trying but didn’t want us to spend all of our money and emotional currency on a potentially dead end treatment. We did 3 IUIs and none of them worked. I was on the fence about a 4th round and Tidey told me it would be a waste but he didn’t stop me and ultimately allowed me the choice. Ultimately I agreed with him that IVF was the best option. It was so hard for me to hear but he clearly explained to me while it made the lost sense. He suggested that we do both genetic testing and ICIS given my history of miscarriage. We ended up determining that I had bad egg quality and so out of 18 eggs retrieved 3 made it and only 1 was viable. We implanted that one and gave birth 9 months later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr Tidey’s lead nurse provides all of the compassion and love that Tidey cannot. She is amazing and makes you feel so calm, supported and taken care of. The whole staff is amazing but our nurse knew our name, knew what was going on and always knew the best way to care for us based on the visit. As for the coordination she was also amazing. She is the perfect blend between Tidey and his nursing staff. She is calm, steady, compassionate but also firm and educational. She has to go over all of the information and patiently answers all questions and does an amazing job holding your hand while also making you feel like you’ve got it and you can do it!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It is a little slow and hard to get someone on the phone. However they do a great job managing all aspects of the process. I personally think their business office is amazing as they do all that they can to try and help you figure out the best way to pay for everything.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Geof Tidey at Shady Grove Fertility.
IVF meds- $5000 IVF treatment- $30,000 IUI- $900
Describe Geof Tidey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He doesn’t suggest multiple transfers the first time around. He has concerns about the health of the mother. Said he would honor our decision but wasn’t excited about multiple embryo transfer.
Shady Grove Fertility
Stony Point

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Geof Tidey at Shady Grove Fertility.

We are so thankful for Dr. Tidey. He has a calm, quiet demeanor that is very focused. He is extremely patient and warm and has always answered our questions without ever making us feel that he is hurried or bothered. I have seen many RE’s and he is by far the most gentle and precise and will do all he can to help you succeed.... I have seen many RE’s and he is by far the most gentle and precise and will do all he can to help you succeed. He really is an incredible doctor, an excellent surgeon and strives for excellence. I would highly recommend him!
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
We are so thankful for Dr. Tidey. He has a calm, quiet demeanor that is very focused. While he has a quiet nature it’s not be mistaken for anything but determination. We loved that he isn’t arrogant and just aims to be the best each visit. He is extremely patient and warm and has always answered our questions without ever making us feel that he is hurried or bothered. I have seen many RE’s and he is by far the most gentle and precise and will do all he can to help you succeed. He really is an incredible doctor, an excellent surgeon and strives for excellence. I would highly recommend him!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
If you are one that needs to have a lot of information, get your questions ready, he will answer them gladly and patiently. Trust him! He may not be extremely talkative, but he is an expert and very smart. I have had the most successful retrieval with him after several rounds.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Describe the protocols Geof Tidey used in your cycles at Richmond Center for Fertility and their degree of success.
12 days of stims, Gonal-F + menopur+citrotide with Lupron trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laura Eglin )
Kim Beasley is absolutely an angel on earth! She has made this emotional time so comforting and warm; I just cannot say enough about her. The nursing staff in the OR are also so incredible. Wendy is hilarious and kind and so skilled at what she does. Ruth, the phlebotomist is so wonderful and gentle. I have yet to experience anything, but compassion and professionalism with everyone at VFA/SGF Richmond.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
There is merge/buy out happening with the clinic so they are changing the policies and procedures. But it appears to be a good change for all. There are a lot of hands in the clinic so there is always someone there to help with a specific role.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Richmond Center for Fertility.
Ministering appointments are done by your doctor during morning time slots. I believe 7:30-9:30am.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility.
Shared Risk program $28k which includes PGS testing.
Describe Geof Tidey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Richmond Center for Fertility.
We haven’t gotten there yet.
Richmond

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility.

Dr. Tidey’s bedside manner is not the best and he doesn’t have the most “warm and fuzzy” demeanor. I did get pregnant and had my son under his care, but I felt he was very quick to push us to IVF without exploring other treatment options....Dr. Tidey is very educated in his field and he does care about his patients and it is clear that he is dedicated to his job. However I feel that sometimes I would have to be sure to ask important questions or else I might not find out the information I needed to know. He can be somewhat wishy-washy about what the plan is, and he doesn’t always have a definitive answer to questions about treatment plans.
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Dr. Tidey is very educated in his field and he does care about his patients and it is clear that he is dedicated to his job. However I feel that sometimes I would have to be sure to ask important questions or else I might not find out the information I needed to know. He can be somewhat wishy-washy about what the plan is, and he doesn’t always have a definitive answer to questions about treatment plans. Most of it comes down to bedside manner and the fact that he is somewhat awkward to talk to.
Be your own advocate and ask lots of questions. It is important to do your research before appointments so you understand what is going to happen and what questions are important to ask. Know that he is somewhat socially awkward but he is a very good doctor. If bedside manner is important to you, a different doctor might be a good idea.
When stimming for my retrieval, he was conservative about medication dosages. Our infertility was “unexplained” and I was 28 years old, so he thought I’d be a high responder and wanted to avoid OHSS. We ended up with 6 embryos making it to blast, so this worked for us. We were doing a fresh transfer and we wanted to transfer 2 embryos, but he was insistent on only transferring one. His rationale was that FET’s were slightly more successful at the time so he didn’t want us to waste 2 embryos on a fresh transfer when the odds were better on FET. So we transferred one which resulted in my son. We were glad that we didn’t transfer 2 and followed his advice. Now we are in the process of baby number 2, and we did an FET with 2 embryos. This was successful with one baby but unfortunately resulted in a miscarriage at 6 weeks. He was fine with us transferring 2 embryos on the FET and we will probably do 2 again at our next transfer. He did not recommend PGS testing for us because I was young and he didn’t think we’d have problems with embryo quality.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Valerie )
The nursing staff is wonderful. Valerie takes lots of time to make sure you know what the medication schedule is and how to do the injections. She’s compassionate and caring, and you can tell she loves her job and her patients. She is easy to reach by phone and email.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
Now that they have moved office locations and joined up with some other doctors in the area, they are much more organized. Getting an appointment is easy and they are always able to fit you in depending on how the dates of your cycle fall. The wait times have improved greatly. The office is very nice looking and well taken care of.
Full IVF cycle with fresh transfer and ICSI (no genetic testing), and including medications was about $17,000 in 2016. FET was about $4000, not including medications in 2018 IUI with injectables was about $1000 in 2016
See previous response.

2012 - 2013
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Tidey was amazing. He was always trying to work out a good course of action for us. He did a consult after every single appointment and never made us feel badly about questions. I always felt like everyone in the office cared about me and treated me amazing....We did four donor egg cycles. They were natural cycles so I was only on estrogen and then progesterone during the cycles. He did monitoring ultrasounds throughout the process to ensure the lining was building. At one point, I had to do an estrogen patch as well.
2012 - 2013
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Write down all of your questions. He will take the time to answer them.
Dr. Tidey always consulted with us after every visit. He was very straightforward but listened to our ideas.
Compassionate, caring and always willing to answer your questions. It was always possible to speak to someone or receive a call back shortly. I never had to wait a long time for results.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The only weakness was the my leftover embryos were frozen with a slow freeze process which has caused issues with thawing them and decreased the quality. However, I believe they now use vitrification which is much better.
We spent a lot. 38,000 for donor egg ivf. However, we did the shared risk program so we got six fresh cycles. Because of miscarriages, we had to use two fresh and two frozen cycles.
Richmond

[Dr. Tidey] Clearly very intelligent and answered all questions. Didn't mind breaking complicated medical answers down into language I understood. Very trustworthy. Only saw another doctor when days fell on weekends and had to visit on call doctor. Made sure I was always comfortable and knew about procedures/medicines I was taking, etc....Always made sure my questions were answered. Also greeted me by name. Always asked about anything abnormal/discomfort after treatments.
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Clearly very intelligent and answered all questions. Didn't mind breaking complicated medical answers down into language I understood. Very trustworthy. Only saw another doctor when days fell on weekends and had to visit on call doctor. Made sure I was always comfortable and knew about procedures/medicines I was taking, etc. Only reason I stopped seeing this doctor is because we decided to take another path towards building a family. Overall great experience.
Ask lots of questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility.
Fantastic. Always greeted me by name and asked how I was doing, both as it related to fertility treatments and life in general.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
Everyone is very friendly. Hard to get an appointment in the near future as a new patient, but worth the wait. All doctors are kind, intelligent, and patient, which is important as you may need to see whoever is on call if it is on a weekend.