Medical SchoolU. of Virginia
1300 Hospital Drive
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
7603 Forest Ave
Richmond, VA 23229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Geof Tidey to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Richmond Center for Fertility to a friend?
Dr. Tidey’s bedside manner is not the best and he doesn’t have the most “warm and fuzzy” demeanor. I did get pregnant and had my son under his care, but I felt he was very quick to push us to IVF without exploring other treatment options....Dr. Tidey is very educated in his field and he does care about his patients and it is clear that he is dedicated to his job. However I feel that sometimes I would have to be sure to ask important questions or else I might not find out the information I needed to know. He can be somewhat wishy-washy about what the plan is, and he doesn’t always have a definitive answer to questions about treatment plans.
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Dr. Tidey is very educated in his field and he does care about his patients and it is clear that he is dedicated to his job. However I feel that sometimes I would have to be sure to ask important questions or else I might not find out the information I needed to know. He can be somewhat wishy-washy about what the plan is, and he doesn’t always have a definitive answer to questions about treatment plans. Most of it comes down to bedside manner and the fact that he is somewhat awkward to talk to.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Be your own advocate and ask lots of questions. It is important to do your research before appointments so you understand what is going to happen and what questions are important to ask. Know that he is somewhat socially awkward but he is a very good doctor. If bedside manner is important to you, a different doctor might be a good idea.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Describe the protocols Geof Tidey used in your cycles at Richmond Center for Fertility and their degree of success.
When stimming for my retrieval, he was conservative about medication dosages. Our infertility was “unexplained” and I was 28 years old, so he thought I’d be a high responder and wanted to avoid OHSS. We ended up with 6 embryos making it to blast, so this worked for us. We were doing a fresh transfer and we wanted to transfer 2 embryos, but he was insistent on only transferring one. His rationale was that FET’s were slightly more successful at the time so he didn’t want us to waste 2 embryos on a fresh transfer when the odds were better on FET. So we transferred one which resulted in my son. We were glad that we didn’t transfer 2 and followed his advice. Now we are in the process of baby number 2, and we did an FET with 2 embryos. This was successful with one baby but unfortunately resulted in a miscarriage at 6 weeks. He was fine with us transferring 2 embryos on the FET and we will probably do 2 again at our next transfer. He did not recommend PGS testing for us because I was young and he didn’t think we’d have problems with embryo quality.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Valerie )
The nursing staff is wonderful. Valerie takes lots of time to make sure you know what the medication schedule is and how to do the injections. She’s compassionate and caring, and you can tell she loves her job and her patients. She is easy to reach by phone and email.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
Now that they have moved office locations and joined up with some other doctors in the area, they are much more organized. Getting an appointment is easy and they are always able to fit you in depending on how the dates of your cycle fall. The wait times have improved greatly. The office is very nice looking and well taken care of.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility.
Full IVF cycle with fresh transfer and ICSI (no genetic testing), and including medications was about $17,000 in 2016. FET was about $4000, not including medications in 2018 IUI with injectables was about $1000 in 2016
Describe Geof Tidey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Richmond Center for Fertility.
See previous response.
Richmond
Although Dr. Tidey is not a man of too many words, he will spend all the time in the world with you to answer your questions. He is very gentle and skilled during the procedures. He listens very well and does not have a hurried or arrogant attitude....He did forget about about some things a few times, like getting additional blood work, but all in all I trusted him fully. He takes the time to explain whatever you need.
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
At first I didn’t know what to think because Dr. Tidey is never in hurry and explains everything quite slowly, while being very dry. But as we got to know him we quite appreciated his ways and always felt very confident in his care. He has got to be one of the most gentle doctors I have seen. He did forget about about some things a few times, like getting additional blood work, but all in all I trusted him fully. He takes the time to explain whatever you need. He is not a talkative doctor unless you ask him things, so come prepared and don’t be afraid to ask!
Ask questions as Dr. Tidey is not one to go into detail unless you ask.
Unexplained . Three IUI’s 2x clomid with Gonal F 1x Letrozole with Gonal F
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim Beasley )
Kim Beasley, Dr. Tidey’s nurse is an absolute dream!!! She made the entire experience so wonderful and warm. I don’t think I have ever met such a compassionate and skilled nurse. None of my IM shots ever hurt when she did them! She was always so kind and sweet and showed so much sincerity with my failed cycles. I just love her!
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
They are quite organized and throughough overall. I truly don’t have a single complaint. I do think they are perhaps more expensive than most clinics as they are the only one in town really. They relocated the clinic in 2016, so it’s completely new and modern . Never met a nurse or admin that I didn’t like. One Saturday, over a Holiday , there was only one doctor on call and one nurse so it was quite hectic and we had to wait two hours for our IUI, but that was the only quasi negative experience.
$1200 for IUI $27k for guarantee IVF (under 39 up to 6 cycles ) + meds , each cycle.
2012 - 2013
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Tidey was amazing. He was always trying to work out a good course of action for us. He did a consult after every single appointment and never made us feel badly about questions. I always felt like everyone in the office cared about me and treated me amazing....We did four donor egg cycles. They were natural cycles so I was only on estrogen and then progesterone during the cycles. He did monitoring ultrasounds throughout the process to ensure the lining was building. At one point, I had to do an estrogen patch as well.
2012 - 2013
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Write down all of your questions. He will take the time to answer them.
Dr. Tidey always consulted with us after every visit. He was very straightforward but listened to our ideas.
Compassionate, caring and always willing to answer your questions. It was always possible to speak to someone or receive a call back shortly. I never had to wait a long time for results.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The only weakness was the my leftover embryos were frozen with a slow freeze process which has caused issues with thawing them and decreased the quality. However, I believe they now use vitrification which is much better.
We spent a lot. 38,000 for donor egg ivf. However, we did the shared risk program so we got six fresh cycles. Because of miscarriages, we had to use two fresh and two frozen cycles.
Richmond
[Dr. Tidey] Clearly very intelligent and answered all questions. Didn't mind breaking complicated medical answers down into language I understood. Very trustworthy. Only saw another doctor when days fell on weekends and had to visit on call doctor. Made sure I was always comfortable and knew about procedures/medicines I was taking, etc....Always made sure my questions were answered. Also greeted me by name. Always asked about anything abnormal/discomfort after treatments.
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Clearly very intelligent and answered all questions. Didn't mind breaking complicated medical answers down into language I understood. Very trustworthy. Only saw another doctor when days fell on weekends and had to visit on call doctor. Made sure I was always comfortable and knew about procedures/medicines I was taking, etc. Only reason I stopped seeing this doctor is because we decided to take another path towards building a family. Overall great experience.
Ask lots of questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility.
Fantastic. Always greeted me by name and asked how I was doing, both as it related to fertility treatments and life in general.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
Everyone is very friendly. Hard to get an appointment in the near future as a new patient, but worth the wait. All doctors are kind, intelligent, and patient, which is important as you may need to see whoever is on call if it is on a weekend.