Medical SchoolU. of Texas Houston
Gulf Breeze, FL 32561
D'Iberville
3200 Mallett Road
D'Iberville, MS 39540
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend George Koulianos to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Koulianos is always willing to sit down and answer questions. He does not sugar coat things, which may come off as too blunt at times, but I feel like he truly wants what is best for me. He seemed genuinely upset that he had not helped my husband and I become parents yet, and he apologized for that... I am very grateful to say after 4 cycles of clomid and 3 cycles of gonal-f with only one tube, I am now 11 weeks pregnant and could not be any happier with my treatment from Dr. K!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with George Koulianos at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama?
Dr. Koulianos is great. He is very knowledgeable and thorough. I saw him for almost two years, but I had a couple set backs in treatment, including my husband's lengthy deployment, two ectopic pregnancies (where I lost a fallopian tube), and two chemical pregnancies. He has always been very kind and explains everything very well and adjusts treatment as necessary. I am very grateful to say after 4 cycles of clomid and 3 cycles of gonal-f with only one tube, I am now 11 weeks pregnant and could not be any happier with my treatment from Dr. K!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of George Koulianos at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama?
He's not a very warm, fuzzy type of guy, but I can tell he cares and is a great doctor. I trust him 100%.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with George Koulianos at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama?
Describe the protocols George Koulianos used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama and their degree of success.
He started with clomid and an hcg trigger with timed intercourse because I have slightly irregular ovulation and a short luteal phase. He told me we could start where I felt comfortable and progress as I wanted to with the aggressiveness of treatment options. On all 4 clomid cycles I produced 3 mature follicles, and my monitoring was very thorough. The 4th clomid cycle did result in pregnancy; however, it was my second ectopic, and Dr. K had to remove my left tube. This created further complications in my treatment because I always tended to ovulate from my left side. After the surgery, we moved on to gonal-f injections with an hcg trigger and timed intercourse. The gonal-f was to hopefully produce more follicles on my right side with the tube instead of the left. The first two cycles did not produce mature follicles on my right side, only the left. On my 3rd cycle of gonal-f, Dr. K decided to add in ganirelix injections to prevent ovulation while we waited for the follicles on my right side to mature. I had one mature follicle on the right and two on the left. The one on my right worked, and I am now pregnant!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Christie and Lorna)
Sometimes it was difficult to get through to the nurses because of the answering service that also picked up at strange hours, but I was usually able to get most questions answered in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
Everyone who works there is great, and I have been seen at 3 of their offices in 3 different states. When I go to the main office, I usually have to wait a while past my appointment time, which is annoying because I have to drive an hour to get there. That is my only complaint.
Describe the costs associated with your care under George Koulianos at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
My insurance covers infertility diagnostics, monitoring, and medicine as long as timed intercourse is used, so I have not had to pay much out of pocket for any treatment.
Describe George Koulianos's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
Mobile
Dr. K [Koulianos] is very warm and enthusiastic. I have never seen him upset or frantic. He is very calm during a time that is very stressful for couples. Each time I see him at the clinic it is as if we haven't seen each other in ages. He's so happy to see us and wants to know how life is going!... He has been extremely accommodating to our financial limitations and has been providing us with as many IUI opportunities as our insurance will cover.
Dr. K is very warm and enthusiastic. I have never seen him upset or frantic. He is very calm during a time that is very stressful for couples. Each time I see him at the clinic it is as if we haven't seen each other in ages. He's so happy to see us and wants to know how life is going! Each visit with Dr. K I brought along a list of questions. Usually, by the end of our visit, he would have answered all of my questions without me asking! Occasionally there would be a question or two I would have to ask. I have never felt like I was an inconvenience to him which I have experienced with others doctors in my life. He has been extremely accommodating to our financial limitations and has been providing us with as many IUI opportunities as our insurance will cover. IVF is out of the question for us and he has been taking that into consideration.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. He doesn't think a single question isn't worth asking. It is your mind and body going through this difficult time. He will definitely listen.
With each visit with Dr. K, my husband and I have felt welcomed and cared for. He takes the time to talk with you about life, his life, and why he does what he does. He is very passionate about helping couples create or continue growing their family.
The first protocol was having an HSG and standard blood work. After everything came back normal we began doing IUIs because we were unable to try on our own. We would do 3-4 IUIs if not successful by the third or fourth IUI then I would go in for surgery. I begin my first IUI cycle on Clomid taken Day 3-Day 7. Responded very well. I believe I have 2 follicles mature enough for ovulation. One slightly larger than the other. Took Pregnyl trigger shot to induce ovulation. Husband's numbers were phenomenal. This cycle ended in a negative. I had to wait out a cycle because of a cyst. Begin second IUI cycle with the same protocol. Responded well but ended with a negative. No cyst this time. Third IUI with the same meds but ended with a negative. Fourth IUI I was switched to Femara/trigger shot. I responded well but ended with a negative. Dr. K recommended that I have a laboratory/hysteroscopy surgery to rule out endometriosis or other complications. Everything came back normal except for a small amount of scar tissue on an ovary. We are now currently waiting to begin our next IUI cycle using injectibles, trigger shot, and progesterone.
The majority of the nursing staff that I've worked with have been extremely compassionate, understanding, and informative. There have been a few occasions of not being fully informed but I simply just have to call and ask.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
The office staff is very inviting. They get to know you (mostly because you're in there A LOT) but they genuinely care. Many of the staff have endured infertility themselves so they know what you're going through. My appointments are typically timely. If I have to go in before work for blood work they get me in at the earliest time. Sometimes even earlier if someone is already in. They really try to work with your schedule. Once I had to wait 2 hours for an IUI insemination. My actual doctor was not in that day. A different doctor was performing it. I think we just got lost in the paperwork. As soon as we made it aware to the office staff, they got us back. We shouldn't have let two hours go by without saying something so if you find yourself waiting longer then expected please let the front desk know! They will make it right.
All my of IUIs and surgeries ($150 co-pay) were covered by insurance. Standard bloodwork is $7 per visit. Clomid and Femara were relatively inexpensive with insurance. Trigger shots ranged from $50-$60 a piece with insurance. Injectibles are not covered with insurance and can range from $300 to $900+ depending on the dosage/days needed. $250-$300 for genetic testing.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. K [Koulianos] is a very warm and compassionate doctor. He is also extremely gifted in this specialty-he is published in many studies and is well versed on all the latest treatments.... I do feel that he has too many patients and you don’t see him often and you can completely forget how much you like and trust him between visits because you are so frustrated with the staff.... He explains treatment to you in a way that is both realistic to expectations as well as positive and uplifting.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. K is a very warm and compassionate doctor. He is also extremely gifted in this specialty-he is published in many studies and is well versed on all the latest treatments. He has the ability to give you the treatment you need, while not being so conservative that he misses the mark. He explains treatment to you in a way that is both realistic to expectations as well as positive and uplifting. I feel he is very honest and he truly wants to help give you a family. I do feel that he has too many patients and you don’t see him often and you can completely forget how much you like and trust him between visits because you are so frustrated with the staff.
Be your own advocate for your health, you need to understand your treatment because you will need to stay on top of staff in order to have the best care.
Overworked staff, disorganized and Slow call response, only saw doctor for IUI or surgical procedures so about 4 times in 9 months.
Agonist protocol. IVF, birth control, mini hcg, follistim and menopur. Trigger with Lupron (because of my condition, normally he uses hcg trigger)
I had to fight for good treatment because it started out as a poor experience while doing non-ivf treatment. I felt like a number, they did not want to answer questions without a big eye roll or sigh and treated like you had no ability to comprehend medical information. Hard to reach staff. They are very overworked in their defense. They need more nurses. IVF nurse started out much the same until I voiced my distress. Again, if you don’t advocate for yourself, you will have a poor experience here and be very frustrated. Much better experience after being assigned one nurse and starting treatment. She was warm and kind, but very competent.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
Too many patients, long wait times, under staffed-results in slow response time and short tempers. Until you become an IVF patient, the staff situation is very challenging. Doctors are amazing, but you don’t see them enough. They all truly want to help you get your family here, VERY good success rates. Honest doctors, realistic and positive. Top embryologist in the area!
Insurance covered a lot, but even with great insurance it cost us nearly 10k for 3 IUU with injections and IVF because he was out of network and we had a co-insurance
Strongly recommends eSET for couples under 35. He will listen to your thoughts and consider multiple, but he does a very good job of explaining those risks.
Mobile
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
He is a compassionate doctor, and comes across as honest and genuine. He seems to truly want to help me get pregnant and have a baby. He seems to care about what is in my best interest, and not just in his success rate numbers, etc....Dr. Koulianos is compassionate; and always answers my questions kindly, honestly, and respectfully....Don't hesitate to schedule consultations with him and ask any and all questions you may have. He is very kind, and spends time to answer all questions the best he can.
IVF #1: Lupron Flare protocol --- Birth control, Microdose Lupron, Gonal-f 450 IU per day, drop in Gonal-f to 300 IU per day on day 8 of stims, Human Growth Hormone (Omnitrope) 0.25 mg per day every day of stims (9 days total), DHEA (micronized) capsules 25 mg 3 x per day. 6 eggs, 4 top-graded blastocyst embryos, Freeze-all FET #1: Birth control, Lupron, Estrogen patches, Progesterone in Oil IM injections, Medrol, Baby Aspirin 81 mg. eSET, Positive beta, turned into an early miscarriage, and then a suspected possible ectopic, treated with Methotrexate. FET #2: Birth control, Lupron, Estrogen patches, Progesterone in Oil IM injections, Medrol, Heparin, Baby Aspirin 81 mg. One embryo didn’t survive the thaw. eSET, Negative beta. FET #3: Birth control, Lupron, Estrogen patches, Progesterone in Oil IM injections, Medrol, Baby Aspirin 81 mg, DHEA (micronized) capsules 25 mg 3 x per day (in preparation for next egg retrieval). eSet, Chemical pregnancy. IVF #2: Lupron Flare protocol --- Birth control, Microdose Lupron, Gonal-f 400 IU per day, Human Growth Hormone (Omnitrope) 0.25 mg per day every day of stims (9 days total), DHEA (micronized) capsules 25 mg 3 x per day. 3 eggs, No embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Sabrina Sokolowski)
My IVF coordinator nurse seems somewhat experienced with the medical aspect, as I think she's been a nurse for a while; but she seems stretched pretty thin, sometime takes two or three times of me trying to contact her or asking a question multiple times before she answers, does not respond to at all or address all of my questions some of the time, and doesn't show much care, concern or compassion for me as a person over-all. She is not unkind or rude by any means, just doesn’t seem to be a very warm person. She does respond to me a lot of the time, but it usually takes longer than I hope/expect. This has actually been one of the more stressful parts of the ivf experience for me. She has given me donated meds for both egg retrievals after I asked if they had any available, which I very very much appreciated. One of the other nurses that I have interacted with is very responsive.
Before our 1st embryo transfer, I was informed by our doc/clinic that at my age (at the time I was 37), they generally recommend transferring 2 embryos at a time. I requested an elective single embryo transfer for our first transfer, just to be extra cautious. Doc was fully supportive of this, which showed me that he was looking to my best interest instead of his own success rates, etc. For our 2nd embryo transfer, our doctor suggested another single embryo transfer because he said I did get pregnant the first time, our embryos had a very high grading, and I am petite. For our 3rd embryo transfer, we only had one left to transfer. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, in addition to my age, now 38, the doc, as well as my husband and I, would like to transfer 2 embryos together at a time going forward.
George Koulianos
He [Dr. Koulisnos] took the time to get to know us. He would have conversations with us about the emotional side of this journey, the scientific side, and about outside interests in our lives. He was always warm and personable and tailored our family planning conversations to our personalities and situation...He was extremely intelligent but explained things in the detail I wanted in a way that I could also understand.
European, East Asian, Latino
He was extremely intelligent but explained things in the detail I wanted in a way that I could also understand. I felt confident that he always was doing the most to get us a healthy take-home baby as soon as safely possible. When we retrieved the eggs and things were going well, we planned on doing a fresh transfer. I had a bit of OHSS so he ended up telling me during my next to last ultrasound before the transfer that it would be safer for me and give us a better chance of a healthy baby to freeze the embryos and let my body heal a bit. I was devastated at first but appreciated that he warned me and then did another ultrasound after that to be sure it was the better route compared with a fresh cycle. I trusted him that it was the right thing to do, and he was right.
Ask everything. Dr K is happy to answer every question you have, but he isn’t a mind reader. Let him know your concerns and he will keep them in mind throughout the course of your treatment.
He took the time to get to know us. He would have conversations with us about the emotional side of this journey, the scientific side, and about outside interests in our lives. He was always warm and personable and tailored our family planning conversations to our personalities and situation.
Every staff member at CRM was fantastic. From the phlebotomists to the doctors, every single person was compassionate, patient, and great at their job. They knew me by name despite the high volume of patients, they hugged me when I cried, they cheered our successes. They always made me feel comfortable and heard. I can’t say enough about the entire staff there.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
The clinic was very organized and professional without feeling “clinical.” Patients feel like part of the family. The only negative I can think of was that during my care, the clinic switched computer systems and things got a little confusing during that time with billing.
The clinic was always very upfront about cost and financing options. They provided assistance with figuring out payments, options for meds, etc.
He explained that with the number of twins in my family, my age/health, and the health/grade of my embryos that I had a high chance of success and should only transfer 1 embryo for our first transfer. He said that if it was unsuccessful we could transfer 2 for the next, but that he encouraged us to think of health concerns for mother and babies when twins/triplets come into play.
Mobile
There are not enough positive words that I could use to describe how amazing of a doctor Dr. K is. From first meetint him in which he explains how he cares for his patients to the last when he was able to hug us and say we were pregnant he always made me feel as if I was the only he was taking care of.... My protocol changed with each cycle because my body choose to preselect with the 1st two rounds. Dr. K put me on a a very aggressive dosage of Gonal-F alone with the other fertility drugs.
There are not enough positive words that I could use to describe how amazing of a doctor Dr. K is. From first meetint him in which he explains how he cares for his patients to the last when he was able to hug us and say we were pregnant he always made me feel as if I was the only he was taking care of. He firmly believes in telling you how it is but does it with such an ease and calmness that you know everything will be on as long as he is helping you.
Trust in him and know he wants you to have your family probably more so than even you do!
The entire office goes out of their way to make you feel involved and part of their family during what can be at times a stressful journey. Everyone dedicates their life to helping you get the family you want. No matter the time or day if you need someone they are only a call away and more than likely someone is in the office if you need to see someone as well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Sabrina)
I would have to say that the staff is amazing. They go over and beyond what their titles are to help you in anyway they can. They have hearts of gold and know when you need a laugh or just a simple hug.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
Strength - amazing ability to deal with the levels of stress they do amd still smile and offer help when needed. I have nothing that could be considered a weakness. For a new patient I would just say try and stay calm and trust the staff and Dr’s.
With insurance and out of pocket I would say I spent roughly 40,000.
I
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
He [Dr. Koulianos] was very understanding and positive. He was able to work with my schedule and he wasn't afraid of explaining the science of the procedures. I felt confident in his expertise and he always made me feel like we had a real chance at success...I have PCOS, so we started out on a lower dose of Follistim. He upped the dose and we added menopur. We did a lupron trigger to avoid OHSS, and we also did a freeze-all cycle. My FET was medicated, starting out with Lupron. After transfer I was on estrogen patches and Progesterone suppositories .
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
He was very understanding and positive. He was able to work with my schedule and he wasn't afraid of explaining the science of the procedures. I felt confident in his expertise and he always made me feel like we had a real chance at success.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
I was treated like a human in all my interactions with the staff. After a few visits the staff knew my name and remembered certain things about me.
The nursing staff at the Mobile location was top notch. They were caring, compassionate, and professional. I really appreciated being able to communicate by email.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
Strengths- professional staff, good location, morning appointments Weaknesses- multiple locations, so sometimes I was contacted by a nurse from a different location who was not familiar with my situation
We went with a shared risk program
My doctor strongly encourages eSET.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. K is one of the kindest most humble people we have ever had the pleasure of coming in contact with. He [Dr. Koulianos] showed us great humility and understanding. He is genuine and his bedside manner is unparalleled....Dr. K put me on Follistem injections as we were planning to do and IUI....He started me on the lowest level of Follistem to not overstimulate my ovaries. It worked just as we wanted it to but we had an issues with our insurance and weren't able to do the IUI. Dr. K and his staff worked hard to fix the issue.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. K is one of the kindest most humble people we have ever had the pleasure of coming in contact with. He showed us great humility and understanding. He is genuine and his bedside manner is unparalleled.
I have already referred him to family members and friends. He is a wonderful Physican and Person.
Dr. K's kindness and humility toward our struggles was unparalleled.
Dr. K put me on Follistem injections as we were planning to do and IUI. I had already done 5 rounds of clomid and none of them had worked. I had already had two miscarriages before seeing him. He started me on the lowest level of Follistem to not overstimulate my ovaries. It worked just as we wanted it to but we had an issues with our insurance and weren't able to do the IUI. Dr. K and his staff worked hard to fix the issue. It ended up being a natural cycle with injectables on board.
They were all wonderful and extremely empathetic as well as patient to our needs.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
It was a lovely facility and so was its faculty and staff.
It is all going to depend on the pateiece insurance. I have federal Blue Cross Blue Shield. My copay was $35.00 Ulra Sounds were $30.00 my Follistem I bought from Freedom Fertility I believe for $300 and the Novarel shot was $120
Mobile
Dr K [George Koulianos] was very upfront with us and helped us but in the end no baby which is disappointing. We tried Clomid, IUI and can't afford IVF at the moment.Dr K always I feel had our best interest at heart and always left like we were going to get pregnant and this time it would work... We tried clomid for 6 months and had choice to continue for 3 months or go ahead and try IUI after two rounds of IUI with a double surgery to "clean out" scar tissue and IUI
Dr K was very upfront with us and helped us but in the end no baby which is disappointing. We tried Clomid, IUI and can't afford IVF at the moment.Dr K always I feel had our best interest at heart and always left like we were going to get pregnant and this time it would work
Communication- lots of times he would say something and nurse would tell me something different
Very personable and kind
Like I said earlier sometimes they were great and very compassionate over the phone other times just "sorry didn't work"
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
All meds, procedures, office visits, surgery were out of pocket. Only thing covered by insurance was labs and ultrasounds
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr K [George Koulianos] was such a blessing to my family! He really is the best of the best! He is so friendly and knowledgeable. God has his hand on Dr K and his business. I started my IVF journey in Birmingham and moved to Mobile. My first FET with Dr K was successful.... Dr K was confident that we only needed to transfer one embryo. I insisted that we transfer 2. Well, of course he was right and I had twins but I have never regretted my decision.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr K was such a blessing to my family! He really is the best of the best! He is so friendly and knowledgeable. God has his hand on Dr K and his business. I started my IVF journey in Birmingham and moved to Mobile. My first FET with Dr K was successful.
Trusting Dr K with your fertility journey will be the best decision you could make.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
Dr K has an awesome staff. Everyone that works for him takes their job very seriously. They are all very compassionate and sincere. I always received calls back when expected. Top notch communication
This was a center of excellence for my insurance company and the rates were so affordable!
Mobile
I could not be more pleased with him [Dr. Koulianos] from start to finish. He was transparent, yet human in all of his interactions with us. Would highly recommend him and have already done so with friends. We actually drove over 200 miles to use him....The clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama] is nice and clean. I would reccomend it to a friend...The injection to stop ovulation was not called into the pharmacy. They accommodated me though, and found the drug at a neighboring city’s RE.
I could not be more pleased with him from start to finish. He was transparent, yet human in all of his interactions with us. Would highly recommend him and have already done so with friends. We actually drove over 200 miles to use him.
It’s worth it!
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
The clinic is nice and clean. I would reccomend it to a friend. Arrive early as it can be a bit difficult to find the first time. You can also stay in gulf shores as it is only one hour away from the office.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
I did monitoring out of town
11,000 plus meds
Mobile
He [Dr. George Koulianos] is very kind and always willing to take the extra time to listen and explain things thoroughly. He makes sure to address all our questions each visit. He is also very straightforward with answers and goes over all the options.... Everything has felt catered to my specific issues.... He is thorough and does things the right way.
He is very kind and always willing to take the extra time to listen and explain things thoroughly. He makes sure to address all our questions each visit. He is also very straightforward with answers and goes over all the options.
He is thorough and does things the right way. Feel free to ask questions!
Everything has felt catered to my specific issues.
Very friendly and helpful. Sometimes they are a bit busy.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
The clinic is nice and well organized.
At this stage we have had everything covered under insurance. That may change in the future
Mobile
Every time I see him [George Koulianos] he's warm and friendly, he always asks how school is going for me....He set us at easy immediately he's kind and willing to discuss everything that needs to be done and all the possibilities. I feel like he always has our best interest at heart , and is deeply invested in helping us grow our family...The clinical team [at Ctr for Repro Med - Mobile] is fantastic the receptionist at the main office aren't particularly helpful or friendly
See him immediately
Every time I see him he's warm and friendly, he always asks how school is going for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Peggy)
I spoke to Peggy on the phone half a dozen times before I actually met her. And by the end of the first call I felt like she was an old friend
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
The clinical team is fantastic the receptionist at the main office aren't particularly helpful or friendly
2 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I don't think you will find anyone better in this area to handle your care. He is the best doctor I have ever met. We are still in treatment but regardless of the outcome I will always feel that way.
2 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He is the best doctor I have ever met. We are still in treatment but regardless of the outcome I will always feel that way. He truly cares about his patients and their success in the ART process.
I don't think you will find anyone better in this area to handle your care.
My clinic and Dr K always treated me with respect and knew the specific details of my case. He truly cares about his patients.
They are very prompt about returning calls and emails. It is usually your assigned nurse but if not it's another one who consistently calls back. You don't have to talk to a variety of people.