9.7

Pensacola, FL 32502
D'Iberville
11505 Cinema Drive
D'Iberville, MS 39540

Dr. K [Koulianos] is a very warm and compassionate doctor. He is also extremely gifted in this specialty-he is published in many studies and is well versed on all the latest treatments.... I do feel that he has too many patients and you don’t see him often and you can completely forget how much you like and trust him between visits because you are so frustrated with the staff.... He explains treatment to you in a way that is both realistic to expectations as well as positive and uplifting.
Too many patients, long wait times, under staffed-results in slow response time and short tempers. Until you become an IVF patient, the staff situation [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama] is very challenging.... Much better experience after being assigned one nurse and starting treatment. She was warm and kind, but very competent.... even with great insurance it cost us nearly 10k for 3 IUU with injections and IVF because he was out of network and we had a co-insurance
How was your experience with George Koulianos at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama?
Dr. K is a very warm and compassionate doctor. He is also extremely gifted in this specialty-he is published in many studies and is well versed on all the latest treatments. He has the ability to give you the treatment you need, while not being so conservative that he misses the mark. He explains treatment to you in a way that is both realistic to expectations as well as positive and uplifting. I feel he is very honest and he truly wants to help give you a family. I do feel that he has too many patients and you don’t see him often and you can completely forget how much you like and trust him between visits because you are so frustrated with the staff.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of George Koulianos at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama?
Be your own advocate for your health, you need to understand your treatment because you will need to stay on top of staff in order to have the best care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with George Koulianos at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama?
Overworked staff, disorganized and Slow call response, only saw doctor for IUI or surgical procedures so about 4 times in 9 months.
Describe the protocols George Koulianos used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama and their degree of success.
Agonist protocol. IVF, birth control, mini hcg, follistim and menopur. Trigger with Lupron (because of my condition, normally he uses hcg trigger)
I had to fight for good treatment because it started out as a poor experience while doing non-ivf treatment. I felt like a number, they did not want to answer questions without a big eye roll or sigh and treated like you had no ability to comprehend medical information. Hard to reach staff. They are very overworked in their defense. They need more nurses. IVF nurse started out much the same until I voiced my distress. Again, if you don’t advocate for yourself, you will have a poor experience here and be very frustrated. Much better experience after being assigned one nurse and starting treatment. She was warm and kind, but very competent.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
Too many patients, long wait times, under staffed-results in slow response time and short tempers. Until you become an IVF patient, the staff situation is very challenging. Doctors are amazing, but you don’t see them enough. They all truly want to help you get your family here, VERY good success rates. Honest doctors, realistic and positive. Top embryologist in the area!
Describe the costs associated with your care under George Koulianos at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
Insurance covered a lot, but even with great insurance it cost us nearly 10k for 3 IUU with injections and IVF because he was out of network and we had a co-insurance
Describe George Koulianos's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
Strongly recommends eSET for couples under 35. He will listen to your thoughts and consider multiple, but he does a very good job of explaining those risks.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama?
Mobile
He is a compassionate doctor, and comes across as honest and genuine. He seems to truly want to help me get pregnant and have a baby. He seems to care about what is in my best interest, and not just in his success rate numbers, etc....Dr. Koulianos is compassionate; and always answers my questions kindly, honestly, and respectfully....Don't hesitate to schedule consultations with him and ask any and all questions you may have. He is very kind, and spends time to answer all questions the best he can.
My IVF coordinator nurse [at CRM of AL] seems somewhat experienced with the medical aspect, as I think she's been a nurse for a while; but she seems stretched pretty thin, sometime takes two or three times of me trying to contact her or asking a question multiple times before she answers, does not respond to at all or address all of my questions some of the time, and doesn't show much care, concern or compassion for me as a person over-all. She is not unkind or rude by any means, just doesn’t seem to be a very warm person.
IVF #1: Lupron Flare protocol --- Birth control, Microdose Lupron, Gonal-f 450 IU per day, drop in Gonal-f to 300 IU per day on day 8 of stims, Human Growth Hormone (Omnitrope) 0.25 mg per day every day of stims (9 days total), DHEA (micronized) capsules 25 mg 3 x per day. 6 eggs, 4 top-graded blastocyst embryos, Freeze-all FET #1: Birth control, Lupron, Estrogen patches, Progesterone in Oil IM injections, Medrol, Baby Aspirin 81 mg. eSET, Positive beta, turned into an early miscarriage, and then a suspected possible ectopic, treated with Methotrexate. FET #2: Birth control, Lupron, Estrogen patches, Progesterone in Oil IM injections, Medrol, Heparin, Baby Aspirin 81 mg. One embryo didn’t survive the thaw. eSET, Negative beta. FET #3: Birth control, Lupron, Estrogen patches, Progesterone in Oil IM injections, Medrol, Baby Aspirin 81 mg, DHEA (micronized) capsules 25 mg 3 x per day (in preparation for next egg retrieval). eSet, Chemical pregnancy. IVF #2: Lupron Flare protocol --- Birth control, Microdose Lupron, Gonal-f 400 IU per day, Human Growth Hormone (Omnitrope) 0.25 mg per day every day of stims (9 days total), DHEA (micronized) capsules 25 mg 3 x per day. 3 eggs, No embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Sabrina Sokolowski)
My IVF coordinator nurse seems somewhat experienced with the medical aspect, as I think she's been a nurse for a while; but she seems stretched pretty thin, sometime takes two or three times of me trying to contact her or asking a question multiple times before she answers, does not respond to at all or address all of my questions some of the time, and doesn't show much care, concern or compassion for me as a person over-all. She is not unkind or rude by any means, just doesn’t seem to be a very warm person. She does respond to me a lot of the time, but it usually takes longer than I hope/expect. This has actually been one of the more stressful parts of the ivf experience for me. She has given me donated meds for both egg retrievals after I asked if they had any available, which I very very much appreciated. One of the other nurses that I have interacted with is very responsive.
Before our 1st embryo transfer, I was informed by our doc/clinic that at my age (at the time I was 37), they generally recommend transferring 2 embryos at a time. I requested an elective single embryo transfer for our first transfer, just to be extra cautious. Doc was fully supportive of this, which showed me that he was looking to my best interest instead of his own success rates, etc. For our 2nd embryo transfer, our doctor suggested another single embryo transfer because he said I did get pregnant the first time, our embryos had a very high grading, and I am petite. For our 3rd embryo transfer, we only had one left to transfer. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, in addition to my age, now 38, the doc, as well as my husband and I, would like to transfer 2 embryos together at a time going forward.

2012 - 2014, Unsuccessful
Dr. Koulianos seems to love what he does. He has great ratings and many live births. He was very clear on our chances of getting pregnant. He takes great care of his patients. ... He is a man of faith and treats his patients like humans and not a number. ... My doctor would only transfer 2 embryos maximum. ... I know they [CTR for Repro Med of AL] used ICSI for us because my husband has poor motility and morphology. ...
They keep the communication open between staff and patient. ... The staff is amazing and it has great success rates! The members of this staff are hard working and passionate about what they do. ... My nurse Sabrina was amazing! She was very organized, caring, and had great bedside manner. She was extremely helpful! We still communicate to this day!
Dr. Koulianos seems to love what he does. He has great ratings and many live births. He was very clear on our chances of getting pregnant. He takes great care of his patients. The only thing we weren't super excited about what the news we weren't pregnant. He called and said our results were a bit of a mixed blessing. We got excited and thought maybe one embryo took and the other did not. He said my HCG level was a 5 and it needed to be a 100. He said I would most likely miscarry, but I was still in the ball game. That was a bit misleading to us. We felt as if it were not a blessing and we were not in the ball game. During the transfer he said everything was great and we might be pregnant with twins. It resulted in a miscarriage.
Know that you will be in good hands and he will communicate clearly your success rate. He is a man of faith and treats his patients like humans and not a number.
The nurses were very caring and kind. They would always make sure I felt okay emotionally. Dr. K seems to love his patients.
I know they used ICSI for us because my husband has poor motility and morphology. I took all the shots necessary for IVF to include lupron (15 units daily) and crinone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Sabrina)
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
This particular clinic is awesome! The staff is amazing and it has great success rates! The members of this staff are hard working and passionate about what they do. They keep the communication open between staff and patient. I only wish that they would transfer more than 2 embryos at a time. This might give the patient a higher chance of getting pregnant.
It costs about $13,000 for a fresh transfer and about $7.000 for a frozen transfer.
My doctor would only transfer 2 embryos maximum. He said he didn't like to transfer more than that because it wasn't safe.
2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr K [George Koulianos] was very upfront with us and helped us but in the end no baby which is disappointing. We tried Clomid, IUI and can't afford IVF at the moment.Dr K always I feel had our best interest at heart and always left like we were going to get pregnant and this time it would work... We tried clomid for 6 months and had choice to continue for 3 months or go ahead and try IUI after two rounds of IUI with a double surgery to "clean out" scar tissue and IUI
Communication is not a strong suit [at the Center for Reproductive Medicine of AL]. I would talk to Dr K and get a plan then the nurse would call and say something different. We were all scheduled for a IUI and the nurse read the wrong note and I had paid all this money out of pocket for the meds and so they decided best to cancel then, called back and apologized but we had already missed taking med the 2nd day and then wanted me to continue with IUI I did even though I knew it would result in a negative test because she. Told me to cancel my injection that day. So there was all this money out the door because of a communication error
Dr K was very upfront with us and helped us but in the end no baby which is disappointing. We tried Clomid, IUI and can't afford IVF at the moment.Dr K always I feel had our best interest at heart and always left like we were going to get pregnant and this time it would work
Communication- lots of times he would say something and nurse would tell me something different
Very personable and kind
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
Like I said earlier sometimes they were great and very compassionate over the phone other times just "sorry didn't work"
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
All meds, procedures, office visits, surgery were out of pocket. Only thing covered by insurance was labs and ultrasounds
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Alabama.
Like I have said communication is not a strong suit. I would talk to Dr K and get a plan then the nurse would call and say something different. We were all scheduled for a IUI and the nurse read the wrong note and I had paid all this money out of pocket for the meds and so they decided best to cancel then, called back and apologized but we had already missed taking med the 2nd day and then wanted me to continue with IUI I did even though I knew it would result in a negative test because she. Told me to cancel my injection that day. So there was all this money out the door because of a communication error