Geraldine Ekpo

San Francisco
1700 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94109

1 patient review filtered by:

At first I really liked Dr. Ekpo. She was blunt but kind, and seemed knowledgeable about the the entire fertility field.... I do feel that she mismanaged my expectations... My ultimate dislike and distrust came after my 2nd and 3rd IUI with Laurel Fertility.... My first cycle they measured my lining at around 3.5 mm, but still went forward with the IUI.... I feel it was morally irresponsible for them to perform 3 IUI's on me when my lining was less than 5 each time
The office [Laurel Fertility Care] is small and outdated, the exam rooms could barely fit me and my husband in it together making us feel cramped and uncomfortable.... $490 PER ULTRASOUND! And during all my cycles with Dr. Ekpo, I needed 4-6 ultrasounds before the IUI.... Nurses were lovely and kind people. I had a couple issues with them not updating my calendar in a way that worked for me, but otherwise they returned calls, answered questions, and were very pleasant to be around.
How was your experience with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
At first I really liked Dr. Ekpo. She was blunt but kind, and seemed knowledgeable about the the entire fertility field. My ultimate dislike and distrust came after my 2nd and 3rd IUI with Laurel Fertility. One thing off the bat, the online calendar and app is just terrible. Very difficult to access and with all the medications and timing needs, this was frustrating. My first cycle they measured my lining at around 3.5 mm, but still went forward with the IUI. At the time, I just put my blind trust in the doctors and figured they would do what they thought would be most successful-NOT TRUE. Any other Dr. will tell you that you want your lining to get to 8mm to have a decent shot at pregnancy, and I wasn't even halfway there. I feel it was morally irresponsible for them to perform 3 IUI's on me when my lining was less than 5 each time. Also, my cycles required LOTS of monitoring ultrasound appts, and at $490 per appt, this became ridiculously expensive. These utlrasound appts were 5-10 minutes, for $490!!! insane. They didn't make any attempts to get my insurance to cover it as a diagnostic tool, so I had to pay out of pocket for everything. Dr. Ekpo also straight up lied to me about a certain procedure which is what ultimately makes me feel I would NEVER recommend anyone go there. She told me there was no way to do a HSG dye test in the same cycle as an IUI, and it just isn't true. Many other doctors do this and I believe the only reason she told me I couldn't was to get more money and more visits out of me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
Do your research and don't go with a private clinic because you think you'll receive better care, it just isn't true.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr Ekpo was kind and I didn't have an issue with her personality or her demeanor during our visits. I do feel that she mismanaged my expectations and given what I know now, there is no way she was ever going to get me pregnant so it really feels like it was more of a cash grab, preying on my desire to have a child, while not addressing the reality that my lining was not even close to thick enough to move forward with the IUI's she performed on me. It gave me a lot of false hope without addressing diagnostic issues that they completely skipped over.
Describe the protocols Geraldine Ekpo used in your cycles at Laurel Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Each IUI cycle I was on Letrazole, with lots of monitoring ultrasounds to see how my follicles and uterine lining were developing. The first two were about the same-letrazole, trigger shot, IUI. The third one they added estrogen injections mid cycle to try and boost my lining since I never got past 4mm with previous two cycles, then another trigger shot and another failed IUI. I wasn't given any other alternatives except for IVF which they began pushing on me after the first failed IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Laurel Fertility Care.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
The office is small and outdated, the exam rooms could barely fit me and my husband in it together making us feel cramped and uncomfortable. And while this isn't the clinics fault, the building was under massive construction which made parking impossible and getting into the building a real pain.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care.
$490 PER ULTRASOUND! And during all my cycles with Dr. Ekpo, I needed 4-6 ultrasounds before the IUI. It was absurdly expensive. Around 2k for the actual IUI, and several hundred dollars for medications. My bloodwork was covered by insurance.
Geraldine Ekpo