Available by cell phone
Rockville
9601 Blackwell Road, 4th and 5th floors
Rockville, MD 20850
301.340.1188
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Gilbert Mottla to a friend?

7.1

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
IVF, Donor Eggs
He [Dr. Mottla] had a strong preference for single embryo transfer and essentially told me that multiple embryo transfers were not an option and something that he did not suggest. This was a little disappointing...He has been very hands on throughout the process. Always willing to answer any questions or concerns that I may have. At one point there seemed like there could have been a "miracle" for my situation, and he was very realistic and practical with how often the miracle could happen. It let me know and see that he was hopeful and optomistic, but also being real about the situation.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Go for it- ask all of your "what if" questions- he is a straight shooter.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
He asked myself and my husband about ourselves. how we met, what lead us to him. During the discussion we realized that he went to the same college as my parents and they actually attended school during the same time, though they did not know each other. The conversation was very organic.
Describe the protocols Gilbert Mottla used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
The one thing that initially made me a little sad, was he stated in the beginning that he is a fan of single births and that he would not implant more than one embryo. As someone hoping for twins, I was a little disappointed. He explained the health risks associated with the recommendation, so I knew it was coming from a good place.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The original nurse that I was assigned was not good. She was very unorganized and actually confused my case/situation with another client. I requested a transfer to a different nurse, who is wonderful!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Everyone is extremely friendly, warm and welcoming. I appreciate how communicative they are, including the blog posts recieved via email. When I've been MIA for a few months my clinical coordinator has sent an email just to check in and see if there is anything they can do. There are a few waiting rooms, one seems to be for people doing consultations and the other for women getting checked out quickly in the am- but you can access either. For my process, I was asked to meet with a social worker, that is conveniently located in the same building. I was able to meet with the financial coordinator right after my consultation, thanks to Shady Grove being proactive. At the end of our consultation we were given temporary access into a database to take a look at the various options there and help familiarize ourselves with the process. I found the doctor to be realistic with timeliness, treatments and expectations. Also, the financial coordinator was extremely helpful and patient- my husband and I sat with her for over an hour discussing the various options, pros and cons. She also went above and beyond to speak with the broker for my husbands insurance to determine exactly what, if anything, was covered. Overall, it’s been a great experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
Approximately 42k
Describe Gilbert Mottla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He had a strong preference for single embryo transfer and essentially told me that multiple embryo transfers were not an option and something that he did not suggest. This was a little disappointing.
Annapolis

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.

He gave us a realistic expectation, that it would take a few transfers to get a sticky embryo. ... One thing I struggle with is getting a thick lining and he changed up my medicine protocol unlike my previous doctor who just kept doing the same drugs and said I had a naturally thin lining. Dr. Mottla was able to get my lining at a 9. We've really enjoyed working with him. ... I know he has lots of patients and he's always been super compassionate and positive.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
He gave us a realistic expectation, that it would take a few transfers to get a sticky embryo. We've had two transfers and still lost them both. One thing I struggle with is getting a thick lining and he changed up my medicine protocol unlike my previous doctor who just kept doing the same drugs and said I had a naturally thin lining. Dr. Mottla was able to get my lining at a 9. We've really enjoyed working with him.
Shady grove is a huge practice and the doctors are spread thin; however, when you are with your Doctor they give you 100 percent attention. I recommend CCing him on every email back and forth with nurses.
I know he has lots of patients and he's always been super compassionate and positive. Eager to find a solution.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Townsend)
I haven't particularly loved my nurse at Shady Grove. My nurse at UNC fertility seemed to work around the clock. The nurses at shady grove check out and do not communicate via email or phone past 4pm (mon-Fri).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I've loved the facilities, rockville and Annapolis. I've never had to wait that long at every appointment. Because its so big they work like a machine and are very organized and efficient when you are there. They are very knowledgeable and current with knew technologies and studies.
Efficient well oiled machine. We live in Raleigh so I would fly in and out same day and they always accommodated me. I was also able to do some monitoring at my GYNO locally and my doctors worked very nicely with them.
We paid 30,000 for a package that includes 2 retrievals, as many transfers as we want and covers some PGS testing. Some tests are partially covered by insurance or we had to pay our deductible. Our medicines are very expensive and not covered through insurance and one thing that does frustrate me is that they over prescribe.
I haven't found a doctor that is pro multiple embryo transfer. Everyone has said its too dangerous.
Annapolis

On first consultation he [Dr. Mottla] made observations based off of questions, frequency and regularity of period etc ... Speculated that testosterone/MFI was probably not an issue by looking at husbands muscle and facial hair. ... Come to find out we have MFI and I am fine. Much longer process than simply taking clinic. ... He was friendly enough but has an experience where he was 30 minutes late to appointment and hadn’t reviewed updated tests prior to speaking with us so seemed unprepared for our appt. ..
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
On first consultation he made observations based off of questions, frequency and regularity of period etc and without further testing speculated that our issue was probably irregular ovulation. Said that cloned would probably do the trick. Speculated that testosterone/MFI was probably not an issue by looking at husbands muscle and facial hair. That set hopes and expectations high. Come to find out we have MFI and I am fine. Much longer process than simply taking clinic.
Do research prior to appointment so you know what questions to ask.
All female diagnostic tests. Then male diagnostic. Husband tested positive for genetic condition which causes azoospermia. Was put on medication to increase testosterone level for three months and then underwent Micro-TESE to retrieve sperm.
Nurse was responsive but didn’t seem to fully communicate all the information between us and other doctors. Was good if we pressed for information or answers.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was clean and generally on time with appointments. The staff was mostly friendly and pretty helpful especially when scheduling appointments. Never seemed too busy in the office. They could do a bit more explaining of things for newer patients rather than just assuming that we’d been there before and knew what to do or where to sit etc.
All diagnostics which were mostly covered by insurance for husband and myself totalled about $2K. That included two counsyl genetic carrier tests at $299 each. Surgery for $8500 out of pocket and have not gotten to first IVF cycle yet.

Other, Unexplained
Dr. Matla understood the pain we were going through to conceive and the tough place we were in. He was understanding, patient and explained all the results and procedures so that we could comprehend our treatment. He never rushed through our appointments to get to the next patient...Dr. Mottla wanted to provide us with a child and tried to take our income in to consideration so we didn’t throw money at a treatment that wouldn’t provide us our desired outcome. He let us take our time discussing our treatment so that we were not rushed to a decision.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla wanted to provide us with a child and tried to take our income in to consideration so we didn’t throw money at a treatment that wouldn’t provide us our desired outcome. He let us take our time discussing our treatment so that we were not rushed to a decision. I appreciated his explanations so that we knew what to expect during treatment.
Be aware that he is blunt. He’s not being unkind, sometimes delivering bad news is not easy. He is there to help and understands what you’re going through.
Dr. Matla understood the pain we were going through to conceive and the tough place we were in. He was understanding, patient and explained all the results and procedures so that we could comprehend our treatment. He never rushed through our appointments to get to the next patient. We felt like our infertility was not a problem.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dana)
Dana was the best! I felt she was more of a family member than our nurse. She gave me her cellphone number and let me ask questions whenever I had them. She was quick to return my calls and so compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Everyone is so friendly and kind! They take the time to see you and get to know you! The most intimidating part is meeting with the finance team because the next step becomes real. However, they provide advice to those that have to pay out of pocket so you get the best results of your treatment.
Dana was good to call around to find us the best priced medication which was $423 a cycle. IVF was $30,000 for 6 cycles and a shared risk. If you did not deliver a child after 6 sessions you were fully refunded.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Mottla was the first doctor who actually seemed to care about our recurrent losses. We've had 4 miscarriages, and 1 stillbirth, but other RE's continued to sweep our issues under the rug. Dr. Mottla was completely different. He took time to listen to our story, and treated us with such compassion...Dr. Mottla's strengths are his compassion, bedside manner, attention to detail, and knowledge of research in the RE field.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla's strengths are his compassion, bedside manner, attention to detail, and knowledge of research in the RE field. After 6 months of paltry care from our previous clinic, seeing Dr. Mottla was a breath of fresh air. We finally felt cared for, and our hope in a successful pregnancy was restored.
Go in with high expectations, because he will meet (and even exceed) them!
Dr. Mottla was the first doctor who actually seemed to care about our recurrent losses. We've had 4 miscarriages, and 1 stillbirth, but other RE's continued to sweep our issues under the rug. Dr. Mottla was completely different. He took time to listen to our story, and treated us with such compassion. I'll never forget what he said at our first appointment: "You've been through a lot, and you deserve the best care." He is the embodiment of William Mayo's quote, "The needs of the patient come first."
We haven't started treatment yet, because I had my uterine septum removed. Right now, our plan is to do a monitored cycle, seeing as we haven't had difficulty getting pregnant (knock-on-wood), our problem lies in maintaining a pregnancy. He plans to trigger ovulation, and put me on progesterone to keep my lining thick. I'll also take baby aspirin and Lovenox to combat any clotting factors that may be inhibiting pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Sarah has been fantastic to work with. She is always quick to return my phone calls (usually the same day), and is patient with the numerous questions I usually have.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is absolutely wonderful! All of the staff members are polite, and caring. It's easy to get a hold of whomever I need, and everything happens promptly. The communication of the clinic is stellar, and everyone is always on the same page. I highly recommend Shady Grove!
We had a referral for our initial consult, HSG, baseline blood work, and saline sonogram, so that was all covered. I've switched insurance plans now, so a copay will be associated from here on out. Despite that, the prices seem very reasonable.
Annapolis

The contact I had directly with Dr Mottla was warm and positive..Dr Mottla was great when I did interact with him....Dr Mottla stated at first that he almost always recommends a single embryo transfer, though there are circumstances where multiple embryo transfer is recommended...He was warm and called me personally at a couple stages through my IVF cycle. He was knowledgeable and made good treatment recommendations for me while under his care...
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had a very positive experience with Dr Mottla and would return if I wished to conceive again. He was warm and called me personally at a couple stages through my IVF cycle. He was knowledgeable and made good treatment recommendations for me while under his care.
None
The contact I had directly with Dr Mottla was warm and positive. Shady Grove is a large facility so there are times you feel like a number during the process. But Dr Mottla was great when I did interact with him. He personally called me the day before my embryo transfer and also to congratulate me on my pregnancy.
It’s been awhile since I thought about this! I did an IVF cycle with Dr Mottla, which resulted in a fresh transfer of two average grade embryos—but I had twins! I remember that I took menopur, gonalF, and ganirilex, then a trigger shot before my retrieval. My ultrasounds showed 10 follicles and I remember Dr mottla saying that he would change my medications if I did a second round. However, at my retrieval 9 eggs were retrieved and all 9 fertilized. By day 5 only two embryos were left and of good quality, so dr mottla advised I transfer both for better odds of success. I ended up with twins.
I was an out of state patient and I felt like my nurse did a very good job communicating with me throughout the process and my doctors out of state.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It is a large facility so I recommend keeping on top of your own treatment. I think they do a great job but for peace of mind, stay on top of things and advocate for yourself. It is an emotional and expensive experience.
Seemed like monitoring was done in morning hours and there were a lot of staff seeing people in multiple rooms. It moved quickly and I could tell a lot of people were coming before work.
Ivf is expensive, but I particularly chose to travel to shady grove from out of state because of their financial aid program. I qualified for a 25% discount on my treatment. Also there are different packages at reduced cost for multiple cycles.
Dr Mottla stated at first that he almost always recommends a single embryo transfer, though there are circumstances where multiple embryo transfer is recommended. In my situation because I only had 2 embryos that made it to day 5 and the embryologists felt the quality wasn’t good enough to survive a freeze, dr mottla did recommend I transfer both.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Not sure this site will let me review the other two docs, who I was NOT happy with. But he was my last stop--I thought I would get a chance to even try with my own eggs, but I wasn't. Even with my DOR status, I had gotten pregnant 3 times on my own. I think he knew that despite being at the end of my emotional rope, that I really wanted to use my OEs despite my intense fear of another MC. He said, "he didn't want to put me through all of that" and that DE "was my best chance of a successful pregnancy." I don't know what could have happened, but we went with DE and our first is due in 2 weeks. Got lucky on shot #1. I will say for the very expensive money, if it doesn't work, you get it ALL back through their guarrantee program (6 shots). Dr. Mottla did genuinely care about me, I believe. I did not care for the other doctor and left the clinic the first time because of his demeanor.
I'm not sure there is anything I would tell you about him specifically, only that the fertility road is exhausting, emotional, expensive, and really makes you question everything as a person and what kind of information you can trust. I think Dr. Mottla is completely aware of all this. In the end, I had to trust him. Had to trust somebody.
Dr. Mottla was the 3rd doc I saw. 2nd at Shady Grove. I did not like Dr. McKeeby (my first doc) and transferred up to Johns Hopkins. I did feel like a number there and had no real personal interaction. Dr. Mottla was my last stop and although I didn't like what I heard (and still don't totally believe the actual source of my issue was DOR), I am almost due with my first baby, through the use of DE and couldn't be happier.
Because he would not let me use my own eggs (my AMH was less than 0.01, despite getting pregnant multiple times on my own), none of the treatments I had researched were used. My DE treatment was pretty basic with estrogen/progesterone shots after my cycle had lined up with the donor's. At Johns Hopkins, we were doing natural, medicated cycles using Femara and then the ovidril trigger shot. Only 2 of my 4 cycles cooperated. They had terrible communication up there and I was always confused by what they were telling me. They would have treated me with my OE, but by then the 2 hour round trip ride and the complete lack of communication had thoroughly exhausted me. Mottla felt that while I could have a miracle baby, that any egg my body produced would be far superior to any eggs they could get from me artificially.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Multiple, but ended with Penny)
My first nurse (can't remember her name) answered my endless questions (and I had a lot). She was always kind and helpful, returning calls immediately. Penny was my DE nurse. She was kind of an "all business" lady and by that time, I did not need as much emotional support.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove: They always knew my name when I walked in. They were as prompt as they could be with the many appts they had. By the time I got to DE, I felt pretty special--maybe bc they knew I had coughed up $30k! I love the blood draw ladies. Johns Hopkins: So impersonal, not nice office, never saw the same doc twice. Much more cold hospital setting. JH is great if you have a rare illness (which I had and my care was great), but for fertility stuff, a specialized clinic is better.
My insurance would have paid for 3 rounds of IVF with my own egg. But they wouldn't do it :( I used their most popular program: the 1:3 donor egg match (1 donor to three recipients). $30k for 6 cycles or all of your money back. We did get lucky on try #1.

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Mottla was reassuring during the whole process and made decisions based on our specific needs. He was caring and understanding and we couldn't have asked for a better doctor. ... Dr. Mottla sent me to a surgeon to remove a large endometrioma before IVF. Right before the surgery he put me on lupron so the endometrima couldn't come back before IVF. After my 2 week recovery we jumped right into IVF.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla was reassuring during the whole process and made decisions based on our specific needs. He was caring and understanding and we couldn't have asked for a better doctor. Our nurse was part of the great experience we had.
He will make sure you understand what is happening so don't be shy to ask questions
I broke down in tears in his office and he sat there for as long as I needed to compose myself and told me how he understood and this was a difficult process. When we got our positive pregnancy test he celebrated with us and was excited for us during our first ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jen Lavy)
Jen made sure I had all the answers along the way. I constantly emailed with questions and she made sure to get back to me ASAP.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove sees a ton of patients. They were like a well oiled machine with girls coming in and out very quickly. The wait was never super long and I always was taken care of. Some of the staff is friendlier than others, but at least you didn't have to wait long.
I had to hit my out of pocket max for insurance but then the rest was covered by insurance.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Mottla wants you to succeed in treatments so does not hold back on what he believes will work best for you. After our first meeting we went straight to IUI with clomid and injectables. After 4 failed IUIs he gave us the option to try again, but assured us that IVF was the best route for our situation. He was right, 5+ weeks pregnant with a fresh 5 day hatching embryo transferred!
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla is truly a caring doctor and always makes sure to take time out of his day to call or talk to us at visits. He shows so much compassion with treatment failures and successes, while still being realistic about the next steps.
Make sure to listen to his advice, thoughts, and concerns. He has a lot of experience and is very realistic about plans and options available to you.
Dr. Mottla personally took the time to always call to explain things to us as well as answer any additional questions or concerns we had along the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ann)
All of the nurses at Shady Grove have been very helpful. They are very good at explaining treatment plans and answering all questions or concerns. Ann was always available to answer any crazy question I threw her way!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove has so many different locations available in my area. The hours are great and they have always been able to accommodate every need. The clinics are beautiful and are so welcoming to all patients.
Monitoring appointments are quick and easy. All the staff is very accommodating and they get you in and out super quickly.
Dr. Mottla really wanted us to succeed with IVF treatment, but given my age, I had a 50/50 chance getting pregnant with IVF do transferring one was all we needed. He explained that though I am tall enough to carry twins, it is still a high risk pregnancy and since my chances are high, he advised transferring only one.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He [Dr. Mottla] was amazing and I am so glad he was my doctor. At times I wish he was a little more thorough or “out of the box” but overall I wholeheartedly recommend him. I’ve never had a doctor show so much compassion. Because of how the practice is set up, sometimes you didn’t get to see him or you would have to communicate with him through nurses but that was the only frustrating part...Very compassionate, always felt he cared about me and my goals.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was amazing and I am so glad he was my doctor. At times I wish he was a little more thorough or “out of the box” but overall I wholeheartedly recommend him. I’ve never had a doctor show so much compassion. Because of how the practice is set up, sometimes you didn’t get to see him or you would have to communicate with him through nurses but that was the only frustrating part.
Do your research ahead of time and have plenty of questions to ask him.
Very compassionate, always felt he cared about me and my goals.
Iuis-2cyckes with clomid, 1 with injectibles Ivfs-Lupron stop, then Gonal f and menopur. First ivf cycle, 8 eggs only 6 mature, 3 fertilized, one transferred (ABG), none to freeze 2nd ivf cycle, 8 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 transferred (ABG) none to freeze In both cases had implantation and heartbeat, but miscarried at 7 weeks.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Most in the Annapolis are nice and show compassion. One of the doctors I had for an IUI in Toowson was so mean. One of the phlebotomists in Annapolis was very rude to me during an emotional moment which left me cryin* for hours after an IUI. There is potential to feel l8r just a number but overall the compassion shown by most avoids that.
Ivfs- $18,000 for 2 cycles. Iuis- around $1800 per cycle
I wish he would have considered transferring larger number on day 3, rather than be8ng selective on day 5. I will always wonder if any of the others would have led to a successful pregnancy.

5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Mottla is able to communicate effectively and show compassion. I had a lot of confidence in his recommendations. He monitors all of his patients even though one may not necessarily see him at every appointment...For my first transfer with Donor Eggs, Dr. suggested eSet. My husband agreed with Dr., although I wanted to transfer two. On second transfer, we transferred two embryos and conceived twins.
European, Black or African-American
5 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla is able to communicate effectively and show compassion. I had a lot of confidence in his recommendations. He monitors all of his patients even though one may not necessarily see him at every appointment. I traveled across the country to be treated by Dr. Mottla, based on a friend’s recommendation and SGFC’s reasonable picing and shared-risk program.
You can trust him. He takes his job very seriously.
He provided personalized attention and compassion.
I don’t recall the specific protocols. They were different for every cycle and tailored specifically to me.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic runs like a well-oiled machine, which made me feel very comfortable. The only downside is that all procedures take place in the Rockville office, which was a bit of a trek for me. I experienced a cycle at another clinic on the West Coast—my experience at Shady Grove was completely different from the first clinic I uses.
I used outside monitoring with a RE on the West Coast. I scheduled these appointments easily with the dr.’s medical assistant. They were happy to monitor me because I was paying cash for each monitoring appointment.
Several cycles: Multi-cycle IVF plan (ie one price included 2 cycles): $17,500 (not including any medication) Frozen Donor eggs with Shared Risk Plan: $40,000
Annapolis

[Dr. Mottla was] Very kind, very helpful, and very thorough at our first appointment. Although I did not see him often, he was available for our nurse and answered questions promptly. He was not there for our IUI which was surprising...You won’t see him much, but trust that he is behind all of the big choices and he trusts his staff...Letrozole, gonal f, ovidrel iui was the initial treatment plan. We ended up doing a cyst aspiration and no gonal F but two rounds of letrozole.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
The staff is so friendly, they listen to me, and answer every question with patience. They act like they know me.
So friendly, so patient. She answered every question I ever had. There for me during the hard moments when we had to delay.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Very friendly. They do tend to talk about their children or babies that come to visit frequently which can be difficult to listen to while you’re waiting for an ultrasound. However they work with my schedule and they talk to me while doing blood work and make you forget what you’re there for.
Covered by insurance

2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Mottla was exactly the doctor that my husband and I needed during our infertility journey. He's compassionate, but he's also candid about the realities of your particular case....He was very easy to get in touch with during my cycles (his nurse, Dana, is amazing) and wrote to us when we lost our first son (we got pregnant on our very first IVF/ICSI cycle with him) at birth
2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla was exactly the doctor that my husband and I needed during our infertility journey. He's compassionate, but he's also candid about the realities of your particular case; although we went to him fully expecting to be told there was nothing he could do to help us build our family, his optimism that we would be able to have a child gave us the strength we needed to continue moving forward. He was very easy to get in touch with during my cycles (his nurse, Dana, is amazing) and wrote to us when we lost our first son (we got pregnant on our very first IVF/ICSI cycle with him) at birth - we'd communicated to Dana that we hoped to try again one day, and he wanted us to know he'd be there for us when we were ready. Dr. Mottla is one of the best doctors I've ever had.
Trust him - he knows what he's doing.
Dr. Mottla was amazing. I truly felt like he cared about the outcome of our treatment.
Dana is awesome. We love her!

2009 - 2012
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
I thought he [Dr. Mottla] was very understanding and I liked his approach to things. He was a good listener. He talked through the options carefully and did not discourage me from skipping IUI (due to being age 41) and going straight to IVF...He was great, but the nurse who I mostly worked with was a bit scattered and did not communicate as well as I would have liked... I did not like that they required a meeting with a psychologist that THEY chose.
2009 - 2012
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
I thought he was very understanding and I liked his approach to things. He was a good listener. He talked through the options carefully and did not discourage me from skipping IUI (due to being age 41) and going straight to IVF.
She seemed a bit scattered and it wasn't always clear to me what was coming next.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I don't have any concerns about this clinic. I used it because it was convenient. I did not like that they required a meeting with a psychologist that THEY chose. That person wanted to charge $250, but I talked with someone I know who charged less than half of that.
I paid about $3,000 for medications, plus about $13,000 or $14,000 for one IVF cycle. I can't recall the exact total.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr Mottla was very knowledgable and took the time I needed to process the challenges in my journey. He went above and beyond. He is direct and to the point. He is efficient and on time. His new office is lovely and much nicer and larger than the prior one.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Listen to him.
Dr. Mottla was great. He always made a point to follow up with me and explain the plan. He saw me in the morning for monitoring and modified his schedule to accommodate mine.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Anne Stegner)
Anne and Dr. Mottla were completely on the same page. I heard everything twice.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He [Dr. Gilbert Mottla] is kind, compassionate, and honest. He showed compassion for our journey and where we are while being honest about our treatment and next steps. He has give us realistic expectations but also hope. He has been amazing to work with.... He has gone above and beyond to be present, inform us, and share care at times of need. He has been truly wonderful to work with.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
As mentioned before he is kind, compassionate, and honest. He helped us to better grasp what is going on and gave us realistic expectations. He showed compassion for the struggles we have faced in this journey but provided hope with our next steps. He has gone above and beyond to be present, inform us, and share care at times of need. He has been truly wonderful to work with.
He is kind, compassionate, and honest. He showed compassion for our journey and where we are while being honest about our treatment and next steps. He has give us realistic expectations but also hope. He has been amazing to work with.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Beth)
She has been absolutely wonderful. She has been very compassionate to us and our situation. In addition, she is knowledgeable and available as I've needed her. It is evident that she really cares about her patients.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Everyone that works there is kind and compassionate. They make it a comfortable place to go and feel safe. I wish time was honored better. When you are already overwhelmed with the appointment it is hard to wait for quite some time before being seen. But they do their best I believe to get us back as soon as possible.