6.8

Rockville
9601 Blackwell Road, 4th and 5th floors
Rockville, MD 20850
301.340.1188

He gave us a realistic expectation, that it would take a few transfers to get a sticky embryo. ... One thing I struggle with is getting a thick lining and he changed up my medicine protocol unlike my previous doctor who just kept doing the same drugs and said I had a naturally thin lining. Dr. Mottla was able to get my lining at a 9. We've really enjoyed working with him. ... I know he has lots of patients and he's always been super compassionate and positive.
I've never had to wait that long at every appointment. Because its so big they work like a machine and are very organized and efficient when you are there. ... I was also able to do some monitoring at my GYNO locally and my doctors worked very nicely with them. ... We paid 30,000 for a package that includes 2 retrievals, as many transfers as we want and covers some PGS testing. ... Efficient well oiled machine. [monitoring appointments]
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
He gave us a realistic expectation, that it would take a few transfers to get a sticky embryo. We've had two transfers and still lost them both. One thing I struggle with is getting a thick lining and he changed up my medicine protocol unlike my previous doctor who just kept doing the same drugs and said I had a naturally thin lining. Dr. Mottla was able to get my lining at a 9. We've really enjoyed working with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Shady grove is a huge practice and the doctors are spread thin; however, when you are with your Doctor they give you 100 percent attention. I recommend CCing him on every email back and forth with nurses.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
I know he has lots of patients and he's always been super compassionate and positive. Eager to find a solution.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Townsend)
I haven't particularly loved my nurse at Shady Grove. My nurse at UNC fertility seemed to work around the clock. The nurses at shady grove check out and do not communicate via email or phone past 4pm (mon-Fri).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I've loved the facilities, rockville and Annapolis. I've never had to wait that long at every appointment. Because its so big they work like a machine and are very organized and efficient when you are there. They are very knowledgeable and current with knew technologies and studies.
Efficient well oiled machine. We live in Raleigh so I would fly in and out same day and they always accommodated me. I was also able to do some monitoring at my GYNO locally and my doctors worked very nicely with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
We paid 30,000 for a package that includes 2 retrievals, as many transfers as we want and covers some PGS testing. Some tests are partially covered by insurance or we had to pay our deductible. Our medicines are very expensive and not covered through insurance and one thing that does frustrate me is that they over prescribe.
Describe Gilbert Mottla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I haven't found a doctor that is pro multiple embryo transfer. Everyone has said its too dangerous.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Mottla] was amazing and I am so glad he was my doctor. At times I wish he was a little more thorough or “out of the box” but overall I wholeheartedly recommend him. I’ve never had a doctor show so much compassion. Because of how the practice is set up, sometimes you didn’t get to see him or you would have to communicate with him through nurses but that was the only frustrating part...Very compassionate, always felt he cared about me and my goals.
[Shady Grove ] Most in the Annapolis are nice and show compassion. One of the doctors I had for an IUI in Toowson was so mean. One of the phlebotomists in Annapolis was very rude to me during an emotional moment which left me cryin* for hours after an IUI. There is potential to feel l8r just a number but overall the compassion shown by most avoids that...I got a phone voice message from a nurse saying something about my blood work confirming recent ovulation...I was in the middle of ivf and hadn’t recently ovulated.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was amazing and I am so glad he was my doctor. At times I wish he was a little more thorough or “out of the box” but overall I wholeheartedly recommend him. I’ve never had a doctor show so much compassion. Because of how the practice is set up, sometimes you didn’t get to see him or you would have to communicate with him through nurses but that was the only frustrating part.
Do your research ahead of time and have plenty of questions to ask him.
Very compassionate, always felt he cared about me and my goals.
Describe the protocols Gilbert Mottla used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Iuis-2cyckes with clomid, 1 with injectibles Ivfs-Lupron stop, then Gonal f and menopur. First ivf cycle, 8 eggs only 6 mature, 3 fertilized, one transferred (ABG), none to freeze 2nd ivf cycle, 8 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 transferred (ABG) none to freeze In both cases had implantation and heartbeat, but miscarried at 7 weeks.
Ivfs- $18,000 for 2 cycles. Iuis- around $1800 per cycle
I wish he would have considered transferring larger number on day 3, rather than be8ng selective on day 5. I will always wonder if any of the others would have led to a successful pregnancy.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I got a phone voice message from a nurse saying something about my blood work confirming recent ovulation...I was in the middle of ivf and hadn’t recently ovulated. She was new and I think confused. No biggie. The various branches are not always consistent. For example after ET in Rockville, I was told no lifting over 20 lbs. for 3 days; another nurse said no lifting for 10 days; and my nurse said no lifting for entire pregnancy. Similar inconsistencies with herbal teas, caffeine, etc. didn’t bother me a ton since I know different doctors have different approaches.
Annapolis

On first consultation he [Dr. Mottla] made observations based off of questions, frequency and regularity of period etc ... Speculated that testosterone/MFI was probably not an issue by looking at husbands muscle and facial hair. ... Come to find out we have MFI and I am fine. Much longer process than simply taking clinic. ... He was friendly enough but has an experience where he was 30 minutes late to appointment and hadn’t reviewed updated tests prior to speaking with us so seemed unprepared for our appt. ..
We never heard back from the nurse until we got a phone call from our financial counselor telling us that we had to pay same day or our date/surgery wouldn’t happen. ... The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] was clean and generally on time with appointments. The staff was mostly friendly and pretty helpful especially when scheduling appointments. Never seemed too busy in the office. They could do a bit more explaining of things for newer patients rather than just assuming that we’d been there before and knew what to do or where to sit etc. ...
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
On first consultation he made observations based off of questions, frequency and regularity of period etc and without further testing speculated that our issue was probably irregular ovulation. Said that cloned would probably do the trick. Speculated that testosterone/MFI was probably not an issue by looking at husbands muscle and facial hair. That set hopes and expectations high. Come to find out we have MFI and I am fine. Much longer process than simply taking clinic.
Do research prior to appointment so you know what questions to ask.
All female diagnostic tests. Then male diagnostic. Husband tested positive for genetic condition which causes azoospermia. Was put on medication to increase testosterone level for three months and then underwent Micro-TESE to retrieve sperm.
Nurse was responsive but didn’t seem to fully communicate all the information between us and other doctors. Was good if we pressed for information or answers.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was clean and generally on time with appointments. The staff was mostly friendly and pretty helpful especially when scheduling appointments. Never seemed too busy in the office. They could do a bit more explaining of things for newer patients rather than just assuming that we’d been there before and knew what to do or where to sit etc.
All diagnostics which were mostly covered by insurance for husband and myself totalled about $2K. That included two counsyl genetic carrier tests at $299 each. Surgery for $8500 out of pocket and have not gotten to first IVF cycle yet.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had talked to our nurse about scheduling a surgical procedure and were told that she’d reach out to the doctors assistant to find out what day/times were available. We never heard back from the nurse until we got a phone call from our financial counselor telling us that we had to pay same day or our date/surgery wouldn’t happen. As far as we’d known nothing had been scheduled and we being asked to pay quite a large sum of money within the next 4 hours or so. Communication was lacking from the nurse.

2015, Successful
Shady Grove: They always knew my name when I walked in. They were as prompt as they could be with the many appts they had. By the time I got to DE, I felt pretty special--maybe bc they knew I had coughed up $30k! I love the blood draw ladies...My first nurse (can't remember her name) answered my endless questions (and I had a lot). She was always kind and helpful, returning calls immediately. Penny was my DE nurse. She was kind of an "all business" lady and by that time, I did not need as much emotional support.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Not sure this site will let me review the other two docs, who I was NOT happy with. But he was my last stop--I thought I would get a chance to even try with my own eggs, but I wasn't. Even with my DOR status, I had gotten pregnant 3 times on my own. I think he knew that despite being at the end of my emotional rope, that I really wanted to use my OEs despite my intense fear of another MC. He said, "he didn't want to put me through all of that" and that DE "was my best chance of a successful pregnancy." I don't know what could have happened, but we went with DE and our first is due in 2 weeks. Got lucky on shot #1. I will say for the very expensive money, if it doesn't work, you get it ALL back through their guarrantee program (6 shots). Dr. Mottla did genuinely care about me, I believe. I did not care for the other doctor and left the clinic the first time because of his demeanor.
I'm not sure there is anything I would tell you about him specifically, only that the fertility road is exhausting, emotional, expensive, and really makes you question everything as a person and what kind of information you can trust. I think Dr. Mottla is completely aware of all this. In the end, I had to trust him. Had to trust somebody.
Dr. Mottla was the 3rd doc I saw. 2nd at Shady Grove. I did not like Dr. McKeeby (my first doc) and transferred up to Johns Hopkins. I did feel like a number there and had no real personal interaction. Dr. Mottla was my last stop and although I didn't like what I heard (and still don't totally believe the actual source of my issue was DOR), I am almost due with my first baby, through the use of DE and couldn't be happier.
Because he would not let me use my own eggs (my AMH was less than 0.01, despite getting pregnant multiple times on my own), none of the treatments I had researched were used. My DE treatment was pretty basic with estrogen/progesterone shots after my cycle had lined up with the donor's. At Johns Hopkins, we were doing natural, medicated cycles using Femara and then the ovidril trigger shot. Only 2 of my 4 cycles cooperated. They had terrible communication up there and I was always confused by what they were telling me. They would have treated me with my OE, but by then the 2 hour round trip ride and the complete lack of communication had thoroughly exhausted me. Mottla felt that while I could have a miracle baby, that any egg my body produced would be far superior to any eggs they could get from me artificially.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Multiple, but ended with Penny)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove: They always knew my name when I walked in. They were as prompt as they could be with the many appts they had. By the time I got to DE, I felt pretty special--maybe bc they knew I had coughed up $30k! I love the blood draw ladies. Johns Hopkins: So impersonal, not nice office, never saw the same doc twice. Much more cold hospital setting. JH is great if you have a rare illness (which I had and my care was great), but for fertility stuff, a specialized clinic is better.
My insurance would have paid for 3 rounds of IVF with my own egg. But they wouldn't do it :( I used their most popular program: the 1:3 donor egg match (1 donor to three recipients). $30k for 6 cycles or all of your money back. We did get lucky on try #1.
Annapolis

Ask all the questions you have. He [Dr. Mottla] is always willing to answer...will transfer 1 embryo...He always calls. It’s such a rarity. I’ll send him an email asking him a question and he will pick up the phone and call me. It means so much... I had submucosal fibroids. Well 5 months and 3 surgeries later I am finally ready to get started...After my first failed transfer I’ve started to feel more like a number. He’s still a great doctor but I do often feel rushed...
I haven’t worked with her [nurse] much yet but so far she is very responsive...The office was easy to get to and I never really run into traffic getting there. I love the Annapolis office... the staff is so friendly and warm. I don’t have anything negative to say about the clinic everyone is super friendly and the office is clean and warm environment. Of the shady grove offices in the area Annapolis is my favorite...I am in the beginning stages. I will begin birth control in a week then proceed to injections. I don’t know what meds I’ll be on yet.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
I was recommended by a former patient and decided to send Dr. Mottla an email. I had already gone through 4 iui cycles (1 cancelled) and 1 miscarriage. He responded quickly but asked if it was ok to call me since he was leaving town for a conference. We decided I would come in for a consult for IVF. Turns out I had submucosal fibroids. Well 5 months and 3 surgeries later I am finally ready to get started. Today Dr. Mottla called me to reassure my decision to do IVF and I couldn’t be happier to have him as a doctor. After my first failed transfer I’ve started to feel more like a number. He’s still a great doctor but I do often feel rushed.
Ask all the questions you have. He is always willing to answer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dana White)
I haven’t worked with her much yet but so far she is very responsive.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Mottla will transfer 1 embryo.