Medical SchoolU. of Colorado
ResidencyDuke
FellowshipNIEH / Duke
2601 Lake Dr
Raleigh, NC 27607
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Grace Couchman to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolina Conceptions to a friend?
I would definitely recommend Dr. Couchman because I feel confident that she is an expert in her field and I trust that she did everything in her power to help me become pregnant. She's not always warm and fuzzy but she tells you like it is and I respect that.... You mostly see nurses during office visits (they are great with questions too!). You can email Dr. Couchman, but I feel like I'm being annoying if I do this often or if I have long emails because her answers are short and sweet.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
When you have appointments with her, have your questions ready! You mostly see nurses during office visits (they are great with questions too!). You can email Dr. Couchman, but I feel like I'm being annoying if I do this often or if I have long emails because her answers are short and sweet. She probably means nothing negative by this. She seems like she is super busy!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
I like that Dr. Couchman is realistic, to-the-point, and obviously knows what she is talking about. Sometimes, I feel like it is hard to get thorough answers and explanations about my treatment. I want to know every little detail and would LOVE to be able to look at all of my medication orders, office notes, labs, etc on a patient portal. I appreciate that Dr. Couchman replies to most emails. It would've been nice to have her or a nurse to call or email to check in on me after my egg retrieval because recovery was harder than expected. I had to email with an update on my symptoms to be sure this was normal and there was nothing more I could do.
Describe the protocols Grace Couchman used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
I did 1 round of medicated timed intercourse and 1 IUI each with Letrozole, Gonal-F 150 (I did not need Cetrotide but had it in case), and Ovidrel. With IVF, I was on birth control for a month then did Gonal-F 225 with 2 vials Menopur, added Cetrotide and ended up reducing Gonal-F and Menopur doses, then triggered with Lupron and a low dose of HCG. I have high AMH and am over 35. I had 39 eggs retrieved and 16 embryos made it to freeze. We did PGS testing and ended up with 5 normal embryos. We transferred one and we are pregnant!
The nurses have been wonderful! They return calls promptly, answer questions well, encourage you, and are the ones you see most. If they don't know an answer, they will find out.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths: High success rates!!, friendly front desk and nurses, knowledgeable staff, lab draws always go smoothly and the lab staff is great, embryologists know their stuff and are very nice Weaknesses: Providing details and thorough information about diagnoses, treatment, results-I'm sure this is tough because too much info for some patients may be bad. I am just one that loves to know it all upfront and see it. Having no portal to view my records is a bit of a challenge for me. You have to trust and ask questions along the way.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolina Conceptions.
Well-organized and I was able to ask the nurse questions
Describe Grace Couchman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic has been open about how they prefer single embryo transfer. I agree that this is safest for mom and baby.
2014 - 2018
Dr. Couchman is a phenomenal doctor. She is attentive, compassionate, confident in the work she does, and has instilled confidence and reassurance in me and my husband every step of the way. She has never once been pushy about a treatment and has been patient with us as we have arrived at IVF in our own time.... She has also taught me the best diet and exercise program given that I have PCOS. I don't think I have anything negative to say about Dr. Couchman...
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman is a phenomenal doctor. She is attentive, compassionate, confident in the work she does, and has instilled confidence and reassurance in me and my husband every step of the way. She has never once been pushy about a treatment and has been patient with us as we have arrived at IVF in our own time. It is clear that it is important that her patients understand all procedures and options. She has also taught me the best diet and exercise program given that I have PCOS. I don't think I have anything negative to say about Dr. Couchman; I would recommend anyone in my situation to go to her.
Even with an amazing doctor, it is a tough journey to go through. Trust Dr. Couchman, she will steer you down the right path.
Dr. Couchman has been wonderful through our journey. From the moment we walk in the office to the moment we leave, we feel special and important. The administrators know us and ask about our personal lives, the nurses are involved in our process, and Dr. Couchman has been patient with us as we have made tough decisions. Dr. Couchman also championed our successes and was comforting in times of heartache. I feel lucky to have landed with such an incredible treatment center.
My OBGYN recommended me to Grace Couchman after a few rounds of treatment that were unsuccessful. When I met with Dr. Couchman she went through all of my records and immediately asked me to do a lifestyle change of eating low carb and no sugar because of my PCOS. She then went through all the possible treatments we could try and what will work best for our situation. We tried a combination of oral meds and injections with intercourse. Our next option was IUI, but Dr. Couchman recommended we do IVF because the chances of pregnancy would be much better. We waited until we were ready and discussed it several times with Dr. Couchman until we were ready. It took my husband and me a while to get there. We just finished our retrieval and everything is going extremely well. We are looking forward to the next two months as we move into our preparation for our frozen transfer. I also want to point out that Carolina Conceptions offers education classes on the science behind the treatment. I feel extremely informed and know exactly what is happening with my body.
They are awesome! The nursing staff is always smiling and has made me very comfortable in every interaction.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Again, it's a great place and I feel fortunate to be a patient there. They are friendly and welcoming. They also have a fantastic reputation and have a well thought out process. It is clean and comfortable, and my favorite thing is that they are not pushy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions.
15,000 for IVF, 4,000 for meds, 1,050 for genetic testing, 475 annually to keep frozen embryos
Carolina Conceptions has a strict approach on eSET. There are several criteria that are required in order to qualify for a 2 embryo transfer. Again, they are very thorough in explaining why they do this.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman is to the point and somewhat blunt. Dr.Couchman isn’t the most warm and welcoming however her experience and education are outstanding. Dr.Couchman seems to stay on top of modern treatments...Bedside manner is not as impressive as I think fertility patients desire. Blunt with opinions, news etc...Letroze 2.5 mg days 3-7 Follistim Aq 900 days 8-12 Ovidrel 250 for trigger Ganitelix as instructed
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman is to the point and somewhat blunt. Dr.Couchman isn’t the most warm and welcoming however her experience and education are outstanding. Dr.Couchman seems to stay on top of modern treatments and seems to have high success rates.
I would like future patients to go into the appointment with the understudy Dr.Couchman is a professional at this and though her bedside manner isn’t as warm and fuzzy as you may desire, she is telling you truthful facts and giving you top of the line care.
It is impossible to get in contact with someone is phone. Typically I play phone tag 3 or 4 times before speaking with the person I am trying to reach. The clinic would much rather email and I think that’s very inappropriate as detail is so important in the fertility world.
Letroze 2.5 mg days 3-7 Follistim Aq 900 days 8-12 Ovidrel 250 for trigger Ganitelix as instructed Progesterone suppositories 4 days following Ovidrel for 16 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions.
The staff is different to contact as I stated previously. Once in contact I did feel that I got the answers I needed.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
We’ll start with weaknesses. Reaching the clinic via phone is at times impossible, especially if you have a specific extension that you’ve been transferred to, they prefer email. Bedside manner is not as impressive as I think fertility patients desire. Blunt with opinions, news etc. Strengths. Knowledgeable staff with top of the line technology and procedures. Money back guarantee on IVF (certain requirements must be met) Main clinic is in a great location.
I wish I could remember the costs better. I feel that we paid around $250.00 for monitoring transvaginal ultrasounds. A consultation appointment may be around that as well. My husband is a State Trooper and the clinic does offer a great IVF discount for Law Enforcement officers, military, nurses and others I do believe.
Based on articles provided by Dr.Couchmans clinic I feel they lean towards single embryo transfer as they see it has no significant difference in success rates, they feel it’s equally effective as multiple.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Couchman had great bedside manner... We transferred 2 embryos 4 times. The fifth time, we transferred 3 embryos. Dr. Couchman encouraged us to only transfer 2 embryos each time. I chose to do 3 embryos the fifth time. We ended up with twins. We were very happy with our choice... I have found myself questioning whether or not an egg donor was the way to go, or if we should have tried a few more times with my own eggs, but the cost benefit of using an egg donor was so much lower than repeated failed cycles given my age...and my eggs were only getting older every try. I did wish the amount of time between attempts could be shortened. I sometimes wonder if the extra month between cycles is really warranted.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman had great bedside manner. We were very happy with the results of the treatment we received. I am sure there was a time or two we were less than happy, but the end result was 2 beautiful baby boys...at the ages of 44 and 45. I have found myself questioning whether or not an egg donor was the way to go, or if we should have tried a few more times with my own eggs, but the cost benefit of using an egg donor was so much lower than repeated failed cycles given my age...and my eggs were only getting older every try. I did wish the amount of time between attempts could be shortened. I sometimes wonder if the extra month between cycles is really warranted.
I don't think she is in the clinic full time at this point, so that may be a reason to choose someone else on the team. I met with Dr. Park and Dr. Meyer. While Dr. Meyer was very nice, I felt like he was just "being nice" instead of really listening to me...sort of like he had things he said to everyone, and didn't really treat me like a person. Dr. Park, on the other hand, seemed a little more honest.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Medlin)
She is no longer at CC.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The scheduling staff was fantastic. The phlebotomists were also. Really, overall, no complaints about the clinic. The financial staff did a good job explaining the costs. The embryologists were also great and emailed us photos of the embryos at every transfer.
I think it was ~$25k for transfer of my own embryos. If using donor eggs, they offer a refund program. For ~$25k + "pass through" charges, you get as many transfers as you want from up to 3 egg donors, or until you bring a baby home from the hospital. So, we were on our 4th IVF, having used 2 egg donors, when I became pregnant and delivered healthy twins. So, we fortunately did not receive a refund. The pass through charges were about $6k every IVF cycle.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
I did not feel that Dr. Couchman was compassionate, and did not feel that she was interested in or had time to answer my questions, or consider any alternatives other than the course she thought was best for us. I was very disappointed that I only saw Dr. Couchman twice during our entire course of treatments at the clinic.... My body did not respond to the medication well. Dr. Couchman readjusted the dosages of the same medication for my second IVF cycle.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
I did not feel that Dr. Couchman was compassionate, and did not feel that she was interested in or had time to answer my questions, or consider any alternatives other than the course she thought was best for us. I was very disappointed that I only saw Dr. Couchman twice during our entire course of treatments at the clinic. The first was during our initial consultation and the other was when my body was not responding to the medications, and she just happened to be in the office and the nurse called her into my room to discuss.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, and demand that you be heard. Don't settle for only one option.
I felt more like a number than a human because I only saw Dr. Couchman twice during my treatment at the clinic. I was constantly seeing different doctors and nurses, and never felt any compassion from any of them.
I used Follistim, Menopur, and a growth harmone for my first IVF cycle. My body did not respond to the medication well. Dr. Couchman readjusted the dosages of the same medication for my second IVF cycle. The outcome was a bit better, and I had 3 mature eggs at retrieval. Of the three, none made it to day 5.
The nursing staff were not as compassionate as I would have liked. There was one nurse who was very cold, and would not even return to the room when I had questions during one visit. She had the financial coordinator deliver the answers to me. I was already an emotional wreck, and not being given the time to answer a simple question just made things worse. The nurses would always return phone calls, and call in medications timely, however, you never knew what nurse you were going to get.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic can be very unorganized. There was trouble with my paperwork in the beginning leading to a misunderstanding about my treatment protocol. When I called to make appointments, they weren't sure what type of appointment I needed. I also applied for the refund program and my application was lost. I was told the day before my treatment was to start that I was not approved for the refund program. This lead to having to rethink our financial situation at the last minute. There is already so much stress related to infertility and treatments that having the additional financial related stress is just too much when it can be, and should be avoided.
$15,125 IVF package with PSG testing $480 IUI procedure
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Couchman always has to ask me why I was in instead of checking my chart ahead of time. One time, she even took my husband and I back to her office for a consultation when we were actually there for a follicle scan. When we let her know, she apologized and made us wait in the waiting room for a room to come available.... We did birth control pills for 2 weeks. Then we began Follistim injections along with Menopur. When we had a good number of mature follicles, we started Ganirelix injections until our Ovidrel trigger shot. They retrieved 10 eggs, 8 were mature, all 8 fertilized (4 normal fertilization and 4 abnormal fertilization), no embryos made it to day 5 transfer, so our cycle was canceled.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
We were just another number and when things didn’t work out with our first IVf cycle she just gave up on us and said we needed to do egg donor. She didn’t adjust treatment protocol to try something else the second round. It was like she just gave up and pushed us to the side.
Be your own advocate.
When I went in for most visits, the receptionists knew me by name and exactly why I was there, but Dr. Couchman always has to ask me why I was in instead of checking my chart ahead of time. One time, she even took my husband and I back to her office for a consultation when we were actually there for a follicle scan. When we let her know, she apologized and made us wait in the waiting room for a room to come available.
Some nurses we saw were wonderful. They were friendly, compassionate, understanding, and were patient with any questions we had. Some nurses seemed busy, rushed, not compassionate.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The reception staff and finance staff were top notch. Some of the doctors, such as Meyer and Park were a much better, organized, blunt but with good bedside manner fit for the practice. Our primary doctor was not the best fit for my husband and myself.
Our entire IVF cycle cost around $20,000.
No comments because we had zero embryos to transfer.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman always took the time to sit with us and explain every relevant detail to us concerning our situation. She offered honest advice and spoke to us like intelligent human beings.... She suggested trying IUI at least once or twice, but we feel like so much time has been lost and want to go straight for the IVF since the odds of success are much higher. Additionally, we can't really afford to keep trying different techniques with the odds of success being so low and that's why we want to pursue IVF. She was completely understanding of our needs and frustrations and gave us all the information we needed.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
My wife and I feel that Dr. Couchman is very knowledgeable and compassionate. We have tried to get pregnant several times over 2 years under the direction of a previous doctor. When he transferred us to Dr. Couchman's care, she suggested that we try a very regimented timed intercourse treatment. Unfortunately, our attempt was unsuccessful yet again. We had a follow-up appointment with Dr. Couchman to discuss next steps. She suggested trying IUI at least once or twice, but we feel like so much time has been lost and want to go straight for the IVF since the odds of success are much higher. Additionally, we can't really afford to keep trying different techniques with the odds of success being so low and that's why we want to pursue IVF. She was completely understanding of our needs and frustrations and gave us all the information we needed. We are hoping to schedule it for sometime this summer.
Listen carefully and don't be afraid to ask questions until you fully understand everything you need to know. There will be a lot of information and different factors to consider.
My wife and I underwent a timed intercourse treatment in which she had to take prenatal vitamins. We then had to go in for an ultrasound followed by Letrozole tablets for several days. After that I had to administer Follistim injections for 3 consecutive days. Then, we had to go back in for another ultrasound. We were then instructed to begin taking Ganirelix. Lastly we had to begin the progesterone suppositories nightly until we became pregnant.
They were very informative and helpful and instructed my wife on how to administer the injections that she was to take.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Everyone in the office was very professional, courteous, and helpful from the front desk clerks to the nurses, doctors, and billing staff. They will take the time to answer all of your quesetions and address all of your needs. Everything is handled very efficiently in this office and we highly recommend it.
If I remember correctly, the total cost of the timed intercourse treatment package was around $500.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
When we first met with Dr. Couchman, we immediately knew that she had a lot of experience and knowledge. This was great as we had very little knowledge. She was very direct and to the point with all of her answers, she wanted to make sure we received accurate information when we asked questions. My husband and I like to understand the full scope of what to expect for the full process, but Dr. Couchman was more inclined to go step by step and explain things as we got to the next step. This made it difficult to know what to expect as we moved through the process for the first time. During the second IUI, Dr. Couchman was great at keeping the room friendly and upbeat. It made for a big difference from the first time.
Know that she is going to tell it as it is, in no uncertain terms. If you want someone to sugar coat the truth, she is maybe not the best fit, but if you want someone to get straight to the point, she is great!
On our first IUI, we had no idea what to expect, and during our consultation, we weren't told that our doctor would not be the one completing the IUI. When we went in for the procedure, someone we had never met came in, completed the procedure and then left with little communication. The second IUI went much better as our doctor was the one to complete the procedure. My husband and I are planners, and we have a lot of 'what if' questions. We could tell that the doctor wanted to get our questions answered as quickly as possible and then send us on our way.
The first consultation was to meet with the doctor and decide if we were a good fit. Next, we scheduled an HSG. The HSG showed that I had a uterine septum. We scheduled surgery to correct the uterine setpum and we were able to start the IUI process right away. The treatment had me go in on cycle days 1-3 for an ultrasound. If the ultrasound looked good, then I would start taking Femara for 5 days. Then I went in for a second ultrasound. If that ultrasound looked good, then on cycle day 12, I would inject myself with 1 pre-filled syringe of Ovidrel 250MCG/.5ML syringe. then two lays later, I would go in for the IUI. Then 2 weeks after the IUI, I would take a pregnancy test. The first IUI resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I wanted to wait for one cycle before trying again, but Dr. Couchman advised against that, saying that it was best to do it right away. We tried a second time, and this time along with the Femara pills, I used a Progesterone 50MG suppository. The rest of the treatment was the same. The second IUI resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Nurses were all friendly. A nurse completed our first IUI. We were not confident that she had the experience or knowledge to be performing an IUI on her own. She explained that she was newer to the practice. She didn't talk much during the IUI and then after, she disappeared, so we weren't sure if it was done or what our next steps were. The call coordinator at the front desk was always amazing. Whenever we called, he was always happy to answer any questions that he could, and directed us to the right person. When we arrived at the office, he always knew our names, and what we were there for, and always had a smile on his face.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The location was easy to find, but if you got there before hours, or after a certain time, the elevator would be locked, and there aren't clear signs on how to access the top floor if you can't use the elevator. The elevator opens up to a wall of windows, so it is initially a bit disorienting because usually the elevators open up to the front desk. There is a large waiting room with plenty of seating options. I loved that the bathrooms all had different themes, so it felt like you were at home, and not at a doctor's office.
The initial consultation was $250.00. HSG was $538.00. Ultrasounds were $250.00 per ultrasound (This included $70.00 office visit and $180.00 for Ultrasound). IUI day of procedure was $430.00 (This included Office visit of $90.00, IUI $260.00, Thawing of sperm, $55.00, Semen Analysis $75.00).
N/A. We did not do an embryo transfer.
Raleigh
She [Dr. Couchman] always was familiar with my previous treatment and had a plan for future treatment ready to discuss with me...She always seems very knowledgeable and gets to the point, but she also will take the time to explain and go over things if needed. She's compassionate and will change treatment if needed, and is not afraid to say what she thinks or recommends. She doesn't do a lot of small talk, which was totally fine with me.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She is not going to waste any time, so go to her when you're ready to start discussing treatment.
She always was familiar with my previous treatment and had a plan for future treatment ready to discuss with me.
She started me out on Letrozole, and when I didn't respond as expected (follicles didn't mature on schedule), we moved on to Clomid and Ovidrel. After three unsuccessful IUIs (one resulted in a chemical pregnancy), I did a round with Gonal-F, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel. When that round resulted in a negative pregnancy test (despite several mature follicles prior to trigger), she suggested that we move on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Tammy Enders)
Everyone on staff is professional and compassionate, and all of them, including the receptionists, are very nice. They have always been friendly. I can be hard to draw blood from, and occasionally they have trouble with that, but that's not unusual for me. Usually they do a great job with that too.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Sometimes the clinic can be very busy (especially during walk-in hours at the beginning of the day), and depending on what's going on, sometimes they can be running a little bit behind. The receptionists and nurses are very friendly and return calls, and are happy to answer questions and take the time to make sure you understand what's going on. The doctors seem very experienced and each has a unique personality, but they are all very nice and professional.
Some of my rounds were partially covered by insurance, thanks to a strange loophole. IUI rounds cost a total of around $1000 if paying out of pocket, plus the additional cost for sperm and medications (medicine was usually around $80 for a clomid round, $1600 for a Gonal-F round).
Dr. Couchman STRONGLY recommends only transferring one embryo, citing the higher risks of twins.
Raleigh
We met with Dr. Couchman for an initial consultation, and she was very prepared. She had reviewed our records and made some additional testing recommendations, including some additional blood work and an HSG... . What I most appreciated was, she looked at both of us and assured us that we WOULD get pregnant. She couldn't promise when or how much money it would cost, but she was very confident that it would happen for us. We found this incredibly reassuring.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
We met with Dr. Couchman for an initial consultation, and she was very prepared. She had reviewed our records and made some additional testing recommendations, including some additional blood work and an HSG (we had already had some of the routine testing done - semen analysis, day 21 blood work). Since everything looked good, she recommended a couple trials of IUI. My insurance covered TIC, but not IUI, so we agreed to start with a few rounds of TIC. Those were not successful, so we're now trying IUI with Dr. Meyer. What I most appreciated was, she looked at both of us and assured us that we WOULD get pregnant. She couldn't promise when or how much money it would cost, but she was very confident that it would happen for us. We found this incredibly reassuring. A note: when you go for your baseline ultrasounds for TIC or IUI, and sometimes for your day 12 ultrasound, you will likely see a nurse. If a doctor is available, they may do it, but it can be tough to get your doctor. Truth be told, I have seen Dr. Meyer a lot more than I've seen Dr. Couchman. I think she is probably the more popular doctor, perhaps because women prefer women.
She can be hard to get into, but the other doctors are great as well.
I have never felt like just a number with Dr. Couch man, or anyone else at Carolina Conceptions. She reviewed our prior medical records, recommended additional tests, and recommended a course of treatment.
We are dealing with unexplained infertility. She recommended a couple rounds of IUI, but since my insurance covered TIC, we agreed to try that first.
The one nurse I saw the most often was just ok. She didn't have a very warm demeanor. Other nurses were better.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths: front staff is WONDERFUL, doctors know what they're doing, they are easily accessible. I think they are one of the more popular clinics in the area. Also the financial coordinators are always prepared, and are open and honest. Facility is nice. Weaknesses: can be difficult to see "your" doctor. I have seen Dr. Meyer and the nursing staff more than I've seen Dr. Couchman.
TIC was covered by my insurance, so just had to pay copays for appointments and ultrasounds. Switched to an HSA, so everything is out of pocket now. A visit with a doctor cost me $175. Ultrasounds are about $250, IUI is $500 day of. Total cost for IUI with oral meds is about $1000-$1500. Next month we're going to try IUI with injection medications, and I've been advised that the costs will be $2000-3000.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman is earnest and honest, without coming across as cold or overly clinical. I always felt comfortable in her office. Her warmth and confidence helped to dispel my anxieties (as much as they could be dispelled). She communicated with my partner and I well and I felt good about each decision I made under her care.... My partner and I had initially indicated to Dr. Couchman that we didn't want to do IVF, but I changed my mind after the last IUI. She was supportive of both decisions and did not pressure us toward any additional procedures. She gave us ALL the data we could need and helped us make a truly informed decision to proceed.
Be patient.
Dr. Couchman always responded to my emails personally and my interactions with her were always warm and personable. She was careful to tell me exactly what to expect with each phase and I never felt confused or hopeless as I had with my previous doctor.
With Dr. Couchman, I initially started with timed intercourse coupled with injections (Follistim and Ovidrel? I think). This didn't work, we proceeded to IUI, with injections that were similar to the timed intercourse. We did 2 rounds of IUI (I had already had one unsuccessful IUI with a previous doctor). My partner and I had initially indicated to Dr. Couchman that we didn't want to do IVF, but I changed my mind after the last IUI. She was supportive of both decisions and did not pressure us toward any additional procedures. She gave us ALL the data we could need and helped us make a truly informed decision to proceed. Day after tomorrow I will go do my first implantation. I feel good about it.
I love the nurses. They always remember my name and are friendly in a genuine way, I always felt comfortable and informed
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Everyone here is extremely compassionate and friendly. The atmosphere is calming. They seem to enjoy working there, and together, and I never dreaded an appointment. (I think they put something calming in the air!)
It was definitely a well-oiled machine. I never waited long, and they were always aware that I had a classroom waiting for me!
My copay was $70 when I saw a doctor, and $55 for monitoring with a nurse (I think! It's been a while.) The IVF was a package deal, which was great.
She prefers eSET, which I agree with and understand. I would rather have more than one transfer than risk a pregnancy with multiples.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
I had severe OHSS twice after retrievals. We were terrified and Dr. Couchman took all our calls, emails and appointment requests immediately. She made us feel like we were her own family that she was caring for. Never once did I feel like she thought we were complaining or overreacting. She treated me twice with IV fluids at the clinic so that we could avoid the ER...Dr. Couchman was extremely confident in our treatment plan and explained every step to us. I felt like we were all part of a team, not like there was some doctor-patient hierarchy and we just did whatever the doctor told us.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman was extremely confident in our treatment plan and explained every step to us. I felt like we were all part of a team, not like there was some doctor-patient hierarchy and we just did whatever the doctor told us. There was always a clear explanation and we were given time to consider our next step. We never felt pressured or belittled- just part of a team!
Don't be afraid to ask questions- lots of them! Dr. Couchman is so willing to answer anything and help put you at ease!
I had severe OHSS twice after retrievals. We were terrified and Dr. Couchman took all our calls, emails and appointment requests immediately. She made us feel like we were her own family that she was caring for. Never once did I feel like she thought we were complaining or overreacting. She treated me twice with IV fluids at the clinic so that we could avoid the ER. When we finally got to our first ultrasound after the transfer, she was just as excited as we were to see our little one there, wiggling around! We would recommend her and the entire Carolina Conceptions Clinic to anyone trying to conceive!
After a failed IUI cycle due to OHSS, as a team, we decided IVF would be our only option. We closely monitored my injections, beginning slowly so as not to overstimulate. I was seen my Dr. Couchman or one of her colleagues each time I visited the office for monitoring, at Dr. Couchman's request. This was so we could be hyper-vigilant for OHSS. After the retrieval, 48 eggs were collected, 35 were inseminated, and we ended up with 17 embryos at 5 days. Needless to say, I had OHSS. Prior to the retrieval, I was given a Lupron injection to help with the OHSS. After the retrieval, Dr. Couchman required that I be out of work for at LEAST 2 weeks because I was so ill. My husband called almost everyday to check in with her and the nurses, and we were seen immediately several days for IV fluids. Prior to the retrieval, Dr. Couchman and her team strongly recommended that we do a freeze-all to make sure that my body recovered from the retrieval. We felt that we were given the best treatment plan, tailored to us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Michele Medlin)
Michele was my main nurse coordinator. I was able to reach her daily via phone or secure email. This was excellent and comforting as we had so many questions and concerns, even after a positive pregnancy! If Michele was not available, I felt completely confident in speaking with any of the other nurses!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths: Communication, the best front desk staff (friendly, warm), clean and professional environment, extremely experienced, appointments are on time and you are seen quickly, they have office hours early in the morning and on weekends
In total, including medication, we spent roughly $17,000.
Dr. Couchman recommended that we transfer one embryo but was not opposed to us doing two.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Couchman is extremely qualified in her domain. She was always straight forward and to the point. She always prescribed the appropriate course of action based on our particular situation. She clearly explained the pros and cons and elicited our input into the course of treatment...She always reviewed our charts prior to our visits. She established a relationship with us and was very sympathetic to our issues.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She is very supportive and has the appropriate level of bed side manners while being very straight forward in her assessment and plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
Michelle, was very attentive and was able to effectively communicate the course of treatment. She was always very responsive when we have follow on questions returning our calls same day. Her ability to teach the different protocols such as injections was very helpful to our overall treatment plan. I would highly recommend her as a case nurse.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Kiesha at the front desk was very personable and nice and showed genuine concern for our overall progress. She was a ray of light as we went through several treatment plans. Always providing an uplifting spirit. Kelly from the Finance/insurance department was very dedicated and on top of our case. We felt we were always in great hands with her I would highly recommend you work with Kelly for all of your financial concerns.
$30K over the course of 2 years with several cycles. However, The clinic decided to charge us at in-network even though our provider insurance coverage changed and they were really out-of-network. This was unexpected and very much appreciated. It showed they were there for the long term care and not just the revenue.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Couchman is very blunt. If you're sensitive and your feelings are easily hurt, you may not appreciate this and should consider seeing a different doctor. Personally, this is one of the things I like about Dr. Couchman. She explained my fertility issues and ALL treatment options in great detail. She gave her opinion about which option would work best for us, and she encouraged us to go home and take our time discussing these options. My husband and I never felt like we were being rushed or pressured into choosing one treatment over another.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She is very straightforward. If you have any questions, make a list and come prepared. She's great at reading body language and will be able to pick up on any reluctance or hesitation that you may have. She won't move forward with treatment until she's 100% sure that your ready and that she has your trust.
Dr. Couchman was friendly and had a great bedside manner. She remembered not only details about my past fertility issues, but also details about my personal life that I had shared with her. She took the time to explain ALL treatment options and not just those that she felt would be most successful. Dr. Couchman made sure that all of our questions were answered. If I had any questions after I left the clinic, I was able to email her and get a response.
We tried 3 cycles with Clomid while waiting for test results. None of these cycles were successful. I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve, poor egg quality, endometriosis, and a blocked fallopian tube, which had to be removed. My husband has low sperm count and varicocele. We were told that our best chance of conceiving would be through IVF. Dr. Couchman said that we could try using my eggs, but she felt that we'd have a better chance of conceiving if we used donor eggs. We were told that if we chose to use my eggs that we should be prepared to spend a lot of time and money on the process. My husband and I decided that we had spent more than enough time trying to get pregnant, and we didn't have an unlimited amount of money to spend on something that would more than likely fail. We decided to try IVF using donor eggs. This wasn't an easy decision, but we felt it was the best option for us. I have 3 children from a previous marriage, but my husband has none that are biologically his. I know what it's like to have children that are genetically mine, and I wanted him to experience that same joy. Due to our financial situation, we decided to share a donor with another couple. We selected a donor using the clinic's database, but we waited for another couple for several months with no luck. After growing impatient, we found a donor using a frozen egg bank that we found online. Once we notified the clinic that we had found a donor, things moved very quickly. I found my donor in February, and I started taking birth control pills in March to prepare my body for a transfer in April. I can't remeber the exact timing and details, but I also had to take estrogen pills and progesterone injections at some point. I also had to go in several times for bloodwork and for an ultrasound to check my uterine lining before the transfer. We started with 8 eggs, and 3 of them made it to day 5. We decided to transfer 2 embryos and freeze 1 embryo. Dr. Couchman was not present for the transfer, but Dr. Bowling was. I had to continue the progesterone injections after the transfer, but I can't remember the exact timing. It may have been for about 10 weeks, but I can't remember. I went to the clinic 8 days after the transfer for bloodwork, which revealed that our 1st attempt was successful! We started our journey at Carolina Conceptions in May 2016, and we now have 5 month old twins.
Nothing really stands out about my experience with the nursing staff. I saw a different nurse each time. I didn't have any bad experiences, but I didn't have any that stood out either.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The office is neat and clean. The receptionists are very friendly and helpful. It is difficult to reach anyone when you call. So be prepared to leave a detailed message and wait for someone to call you back. The billing part was a little frustrating at first, but the staff who work in that department are friendly and helpful. I was a little disappointed in the lack of donors available in the clinic's database and also disappointed that no one told me where to find other donors. I had to go online and figure that out for myself. I had to pay a hefty deposit just to get a password to use the database, only to find out that there are only a handful of donors who are qualified to participate in a shared cycle. I was very pleased that Carolina Conceptions was willing to refund that deposit when we decided to use another database to find a donor. For us, the hardest part of our journey was finding a donor and getting our finances together. Once we found our donor, things moved very quickly.
I can't remember the exact costs. I know that I had to pay for a hsg, office visits, an ultrasound, and lab work that wasn't covered by my insurance. I was given a discount for having no insurance. I'm sure that I easily spent a couple thousand dollars on all of that. We found our donor at an online site for a frozen egg bank, and we used a single cycle guarantee that they were offering. Therefore, we didn't directly pay Carolina Conceptions for our IVF cycle.
We were allowed to choose wether or not we wanted to transfer 1 embryo or 2 embryos. Our doctor seemed confident that the transfer would be successful either way. She also made sure that we were well aware of the possible complications associated with carrying and delivering multiples.
PCOS, Unexplained
don't feel strongly one way or the other [about Dr. Couchman]. clinically seemed ok, could be more specific. Ex [example] told me at the beginning we could do one or 2 embryo transfers, but then when go to plan the transfer, told could only do one despite knowing upfront that I'd do PGS testing...Extremely unhappy with clarity around finances and visibility into options... I now question the accuracy of any information provided (it's a slippery slope).
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
don't feel strongly one way or the other. clinically seemed ok, could be more specific. Ex told me at the beginning we could do one or 2 embryo transfers, but then when go to plan the transfer, told could only do one despite knowing upfront that I'd do PGS testing
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Extremely unhappy with clarity around finances and visibility into options. I was told I MUST use Cigna pharmacy for my specialty prescriptions and was never given the option to select my own pharmacy or given my prescription to even do price checking. Turns out Cigna was the most expensive option which results in me being out of pocket by few thousand dollars extra. After calling the doctors office, I'm being told that it's my responsibility to choose which pharmacy. However, I was never given the information to chose and was flat out told I MUST use Cigna! I absolutely get that the dr office can't know what's going on in the gazillion flavors of insurance that are out there, and I certainly don't expect them to be experts in insurance. However, I do expect transparency and accurate information. If it is my responbility to make the choice, they should give me the prescription, or at least confirm that I want my Rx filled by their suggested pharmacy. It's poor practice to make the choice for someone, give no visibility into the options or even what's being ordered, then tell the patient it's their responsibility to choose with ZERO information. Given this experience, I now question the accuracy of any information provided (it's a slippery slope). The office has also said there's nothing they are willing to do from their side (not willing to discount their fees at all).
All up ~$25k
6 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Couchman was completely invested in our treatment. It was clear she wanted the best outcome for us. She was direct and explained things clearly and as many times as we needed. She ALWAYS responded to emails I sent her, even while she was on vacation. She goes out of her way to help us succeed...When I gave birth to my daughter after many years of infertility, she was very invested in seeing pictures and learning about her. It was clear she cared.
6 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman is a great doctor who is very invested in her patients.
Dr. Couchman new me and my situation throughout my treatment. She listened to concerns. And was available via email at nearly any time of day. She would even respond to my questions while on vacation. When I gave birth to my daughter after many years of infertility, she was very invested in seeing pictures and learning about her. It was clear she cared.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Terry Hunter)
Terry Hunter is a wonderful nurse. Compassionate, explains the processes well and as many times as you need. Promptly returns emails and phone calls. Always described what we could expect from each process.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
compassionate, caring, cutting edge treatments. Doctor's and nurses communicated everything we needed to know very well. Quick response time to calls/emails. Can email your doctor directly with concerns or questions and they respond promptly. help guide you in making hard decisions by providing factual statistics and information. Always presented us with different options and the pros and cons of each. I felt like we were easily making informed decisions, even if they were difficult. I saw Dr. Couchman, Dr. Meyer, and Dr. Park, and would recommend each one of these providers. Nursing staff was kind and compassionate. The front desk and office employees knew me by name when walking in. And the finance employees were always warm and helpful.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman was always willing to listen to us first, she heard our story as to why we were seeking out a second opinion without any judgement. She did interject along the way to ask more in depth questions but she showed empathy toward us. She gave us hope even after one miscarriage that we could become pregnant again. Anything we wanted to try she was willing to work with us to come up with the best treatment plan each time. She referred to us by our names and when I would come to the practice for monitoring and was seen by another doctor but saw her in the hallway she would give me a warm friendly smile and say hello!
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Don't be afraid to speak out and share what you really feel is best for you. She will respond with empathy.
I felt like a human because of her empathetic communication style - she was able to understand and share the feelings we were having during each cycle.
Based on my history and lab test results she had me start at a mid range level of IU's for the main drug I took during the first 7 days of the cycle but when I came in for my first monitoring appointment she would readjust it if deemed necessary. In my first cycle I had to order another vial of the second drug to give my follicles a little more time to grow and also to make sure I didn't ovulate to early.
The nursing staff was helpful will the process of ordering the medications, from the call ins to the pharmacy to sending in additional prescriptions to explaining the process of how it all works. Most of the nurses I saw were empathetic during my treatment cycles. They were friendly each time I was there lending a smile or a hello how are you... They were attentive if you needed anything or didn't understand a protocol they would be patient and explain it to you in terms you could understand without any hesitations.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The doctors are competent they are all friendly, knowledgeable and willing to work with each couple on coming up with the best treatment plan. Not once did I feel like I was being pushed into something I didn't want to do. Each time I was seen I was always told to please call them at anytime with any other questions I may have and they would be happy to help me. I was able to reach out to Dr. Couchman by email with questions too and she would always respond in a timely manner. All the doctors want the same thing and that is to help every couple that comes through their doors to take a baby home. It is such a blessing to be in a place where they have the same goals as you do.
I was told insurance would cover up to three cycles of medications, which they were with only co-pays. I also had coverage for monitoring and blood work. The cycle for IUI was out of pocket since this wasn't coverage from the insurance company so we paid for the monitoring and blood work. However we were aware of this thanks to the awesome financial counselors.
2013 - 2017
Dr Couchman has sat and talked with us numerous times and I have never felt rushed or like we were just another patient. I feel like she has a very realistic professional opinion. She doesnt sugarcoat anything but she still has comforting way of talking with you...You won't always see Dr Couchman at every visit. I wasn't used to this at first. But I do feel comfortable with everyone in the practice.
2013 - 2017
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
From the very beginning we have found it easy to talk with Dr Couchman. Going through this process has been mentally exhausting. Dr Couchman has sat and talked with us numerous times and I have never felt rushed or like we were just another patient. I feel like she has a very realistic professional opinion. She doesnt sugarcoat anything but she still has comforting way of talking with you.
Dr Couchman has always taken her time with me and my husband. She has always been very easy to talk to.
We first tried medication (I don't remember what we used) and did timed intercourse. After the negative pregnancy test we decided to do an IUI. We did two IUI's that both resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We tried a third IUI but I had no follicles that time. She told us to proceed with timed intercourse. That ended with a negative pregnancy test. We took some time off after that. We came back and decided to try IVF. We had 9 follicles. From there we had 4 embryos. By day 5 we only had 2 embryos and they were not as developed as they hoped, but still growing. So we transferred 2. We got a negative pregnancy test.
I really like the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions. Some are friendlier than others. But that will be anywhere you go.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I have always had a good experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Insurance paid for up to three IUI's. We had to pay out of pocket for IVF.
IVF, Donor Eggs
She [Dr. Grace Couchman] listened and considered certain reservations I had especially since I've had a slightly conservative upbringing. Also had qualms regarding surgery though she called me about the need and did try to check if it could be avoided, but ultimately had to be done. During our loss, she was very sympathetic and didn't pressure us on whay next step. Advising us to take our time to heal before talking with her again on what we wanted to do next.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She listened and she explained things clearly. Just wish that consistent in who I saw each check up. During our loss she didn't stress us to decide and when asked that's when she told us what options to take depending on what we wanted, consistent with our beliefs. She also advised us to take time to heal before we inform what next step we wanted, to try again or to stop, was pour choice. She didn't say it out, it was obviously implied. She was sensitive and caring.
She's very experienced, but also very busy. You have to specify that she will do all the follow up check ups unless it's ok to get the other doctors.
She listened and considered certain reservations I had especially since I've had a slightly conservative upbringing. Also had qualms regarding surgery though she called me about the need and did try to check if it could be avoided, but ultimately had to be done. During our loss, she was very sympathetic and didn't pressure us on whay next step. Advising us to take our time to heal before talking with her again on what we wanted to do next.
Age was a factor for our decision and time. I have a condition that makes me irregular and if we insisted on own eggs out might not have worked out even given time to try to harvest, if any will. Plus the possibility of disorders.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Michele)
She's perky and quick to reply to any question. As a first time pregnant person, I asked a lot of seemingly idiotic questions that other already with kids people know.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The receptionists keep changing for this year. Unfortunately new receptionists aren't always aware of patient log ins. I had to wait more than 20+ minutes once agent everyone after me was already seen before my log in was seen
A lot
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman has pretty much let us dictate what we want to do. At this point we've only tried medicated IUIs with injectable medications. One cycle I produced a high number of follicles, so she suggest that we use a lower dosage of Follistim for the next round. We are thinking about starting and IVF cycle in the summer and she has been very upfront with the fact that we may not need a lot of medication because I tend to respond well to lower doses.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman has been great. I've sat in her office in her office for several consultations. She has been patient and understanding as we have asked questions and made decisions. Dr. Couchman has made sure that we are well informed. I've never felt dumb asking her questions. She has taught as much as she has supported. While she has recommended specific treatment, she has never been pushy. She has allowed us to walk through this journey at our own pace. I am so appreciate of the care she has provided.
Dr. Couchman is not always warm and fuzzy, but that doesn't mean she doesn't care. She shows that she cares through her knowledge and supportive nature.
She seems to know me and be familiar with my medical history. She made recommendations based on that.
I've mostly seen nurses to check follicles, so there isn't a whole lot to share. They are knowledgeable and if they have questions, they consult the doctor. I've been pleased thus far.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I think Carolina Conceptions does a great job trying to educate their patients. The financial department has been helpful along the way as we have dealt with insurance. The front desk receptionists are always quick to help however they are able. The female receptionist knows my name when I walk in the door. She is always polite and super sweet.
I honestly cannot remember. Some of our IUIs were covered under insurance, and some were not. We were offered a special rate for IVF because they consider me to be a "service worker."
If she has a preference, I'm not 100 percent sure. I imagine that it would be a single due to the lower risk factors. We have not yet crossed that bridge, so we will probably discuss it further in future appointments.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Even though I had suffered a set back, Dr. Couchman always listened to my concerns and ideas for a different protocol. She considered them and allowed me to try different protocols to try to get my endometrial lining thicker...Dr. Couchman was very nice and went over my medical history. I felt very comfortable with her and our discussion of using donor eggs...We tried doing a cycle with follistim with sildenafil which didn't work in getting my lining thicker. Then we tried trental on my last cycle and even though my lining didn't seem to be more than 6mm, we were successful in getting and maintaining a pregnancy.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
All the Doctors at Carolina Conceptions are update on the newest protocols and off label use for fertility treatments. Don't be afraid to suggest a different protocol to be used because we all don't react the same way to a prescribed protocol. Dr. Couchman will listen and discuss your options with you to determine the best protocol to use.
I knew when I walked into Carolina Conceptions that this was the place I would start my journey of becoming pregnant. Dr. Couchman was very nice and went over my medical history. I felt very comfortable with her and our discussion of using donor eggs.
I was using BCP, progesterone Ethyl Oleate, estrogen pills/patches and I became pregnant with the first transfer; however, had a miscarriage After having a D&C, my lining wasn't the same. It just didn't look as thick as it did before the D&C. I was approximately 6 mm when I got pregnant the first time. We tried doing a cycle with follistim with sildenafil which didn't work in getting my lining thicker. Then we tried trental on my last cycle and even though my lining didn't seem to be more than 6mm, we were successful in getting and maintaining a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: I worked with Tammy or Terry)
All the nursing staff was always nice and friendly when I came in for visits. Terry gave me my lessons on how to do the injections 2 times. Tammy or Terry would always response to my emails of questions I had in a reasonable amount of time.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I went to another IVF clinic in Raleigh before going to CC. Once I came off the elevators, I knew this was the right place. The front staff, nurses and doctors all made you feel comfortable and answered any questions I had. I like the fact they are opened early in the AM and I could be seen early so I wouldn't have to take time off of work for my appointments.
I spent approximately $40,000. I decided the best option was the CC Refund Plan ($22, 800). This did not include the egg donor fee of $6,000 and associated drugs approximately $2,000 to $3,000. the first donor there were only 2 viable embryos for transfer and I became pregnant; however, had a miscarriage. I decided to try again and paid another $6,000 plus drugs for a new egg donor. This donor produced 7 viable embryos and had them transferred 2, 2, and 3 for the last transfer. I now have a beautiful baby.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Couchman sat with me and went through every question I had written down--in fact, she welcomed the research I had done ahead of time. At every turn, she was validating and warm and encouraging. My husband and I have both been impressed with Dr. Couchman's bedside manner (office-side manner?) throughout our experiences with her...Dr. Couchman sat with me and went through every question I had written down--in fact, she welcomed the research I had done ahead of time. At every turn, she was validating and warm and encouraging. My husband and I have both been impressed with Dr. Couchman's bedside manner (office-side manner?) throughout our experiences with her.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman has made time for me on every appointment I've had with her (3 within seven months). She would lay out a course of treatment, make sure I understood the plan, and answered each and every question I had. If I needed her input (I changed medications at the recommendation of my thyroid-endocrinologist) I was able to get her voicemail and she called me back personally. She is knowledgeable and patient, and I have always felt informed, empowered, and validated.
She is willing to sit with you and go through your list of questions--come prepared! She will not dismiss anything as a silly question.
I did three cycles of Timed Intercourse with letrozole (femara). I responded to the medication (one large follicle each cycle), and used ovidrel as the trigger shot. Once it was clear that that was not working, we tried one IUI, with the rationale that this has a higher success rate, and that I was responding well to the letrozole (one appropriately sized follicle each cycle). Once that didn't work, the discussion became about the advantages of multiple IUI's vs. the higher odds of IVF (I am a teacher, and will be taking advantage of the teacher discount offered by Carolina Conceptions). My husband and I tried one round of combination oral and injection medications (follistim) but were unsuccessful, despite producing 2 good sized follicles. We are moving on to IVF this summer.
The nursing staff was very positive and encouraging without being overbearing. Every nurse was professional and showed me the screen as she did my ultrasound. It was clear that they wanted me to feel involved and empowered as I went through this un-empowering process (infertility).
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The front office staff is a strength--very positive, compassionate, and professional. Everyone involved with patient care has a calm positive attitude. I have been nothing but happy with the way I've been treated (medically and personally) throughout the time I've been at Carolina Conceptions.
With insurance, monitoring was between $30 and $40 per visit, but I don't remember what it was without insurance. I know that our IUI was around 700 including monitoring.
Raleigh
dr. Couchman invegstated all my symptoms and diagnosed me while keeping in mind the financial and emotional toll of fertility treatment. Finally, to be completely honest Dr. Couchman is the first Doctor I have seen that made me feel like a human with a medical problem and not a mystery of science...Dr. Couchman was the first doctor I went to who didn't dismiss my symptoms and concerns. She was able to clearly explain the problems I was having and did all this while completely recognizing my feels. She often asked how I was feeling and genuinely responded to my thoughts...Dr. Couchman was expremely supportive, providing us with realistic and honest advice.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
I have PCOS and Dr. Couchman and the other physicians at Carolina Conceptions were the first doctors to listen to my concerns and have a collaborative relationship with me and my husband to meet my goals without judgement or pressure. After starting ar the clinic my husband was Diagnosed with low sperm count and later vericosities. Dr. Couchman was expremely supportive, providing us with realistic and honest advice. We were faced with two choices: have my husband have surgery to correct his verbosities and wait 9-12 months to find out if it corrected his sperm count enough to resume trying IUIs or proceed with IVF. She clearly explained the options and advised us to proceed with the surgery option and if that didn't work return to IVF. Well, we are extremely greatful for following her medical advice because my husbands count when from 10,000 to 75,000 in 3 months post surgery and we were able to conceive with me taking fermara/clomid. I had went to quite a few other clinics/doctors looking for medical advice and help before going to Carolina Conceptions. To be honest all the other clinics told me not to worry about my fertility despite being diagnosed with PCOS at 18, the reason being I have atypical PCOS and don't present typically. So most doctors insist I can't have it and since we are both 29 they felt we were too young to worry about fertility treatment. But dr. Couchman invegstated all my symptoms and diagnosed me while keeping in mind the financial and emotional toll of fertility treatment. Finally, to be completely honest Dr. Couchman is the first Doctor I have seen that made me feel like a human with a medical problem and not a mystery of science. I can't say enough good things about Carolina Conceptions and all the doctors and staff there, without them my babies life wouldn't be possible.
Be completely honest with your doctor and commit yourself 100% to the treatment approach you choose.
I had a blue cross pop plan that covered all tx that was not ART and it covered all testing.
Raleigh
I felt like I could trust her [Dr. Couchman] and her opinion and expertise. She tried every option to help us get pregnant before even suggesting IVF, which was our last option. I felt like she understood that IVF was a huge undertaking on us financially, mentally and physically and I appreciate that she took this into consideration. I never felt rushed by her and she always took time to explain things to me...
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman seems to be very experienced in her field. I felt like I could trust her and her opinion and expertise. She tried every option to help us get pregnant before even suggesting IVF, which was our last option. I felt like she understood that IVF was a huge undertaking on us financially, mentally and physically and I appreciate that she took this into consideration. I never felt rushed by her and she always took time to explain things to me.
Make sure you listen to what she has to say and consider her experience and expertise because she knows what she is doing.
Dr. Couchman made sure that my husband and I understood all of our options and took time to explain things to us that we were concerned about. She was very friendly and has a great bedside manner. She also gave us realistic expectations.
We first started with oral fertility meds which did not work. I don't have a period on my own so this caused complications with me ovulating. I did three cycles of IUI. The first cycle included Menopur. I personally don't think this cycle worked at all because I don't even think I got my period after it. The second cycle included Menopur, but with higher dosages. My egg growth was very slow with this cycle, but implantation did not occur. The third and final IUI included Follistim. With this medication, the cycle seemed to go perfect. My eggs responded quickly and as they should have, but I didn't get pregnant. I then had IVF which consisted of Gonal-F and Menopur. My eggs were very slow growing with this cycle, but eventually they were able to retrieve 11 eggs.
I saw Jessalyn James frequently and she was always so kind and helpful. She did a lot of my ultrasounds and called me frequently with lab results. She also did our IVF class. I also saw Michelle and Tammy frequently. They did some of my ultrasounds and I believe Tammy did two of my IUIs. Both Tammy and Michelle were very nice and helpful as well. All of these nurses were very quick to responded to voice messages I left and I always got a call back the same day or early the next day.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
As a strength, I like that they open at 7:30am for ultrasounds and labwork. This was a great help to me because I had to go so often and this kept me from having to take even more time off work because I could get there early and get out quickly. The office runs very quickly and there are very little waiting times.
My insurance covered all three of my IUIs, so I only had to pay for office co-pays and medication co-pays. I ended up having IVF, so overall we spent around $22,000.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I am an extreme case - I have poor egg quality and my husbands MFI is severe. After my first cycle failed (my embryos failed to develop) - Dr. Couchman met with the other doctors to come up with a game plan for my situation. My protocol was completely changed. My second cycle was completely different - my poor eggs made blasts and I was able to biopsy for PGS. Awaiting my first transfer now! She met with me to go over my fears about the FET failing and has been kind during this difficult process.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She is an excellent listener - though I don't know how she'd do with someone who was super emotional - I'm very pragmatic and it is easy to talk straight with her.
Dr. Couchman always answers my questions immediately by email - and often calls - especially if I am upset or have a concern. I always feel like she is in my corner.
My first cycle was antagonist with menopur and follistim - my AMH is very good for my age and I responded great 16 eggs - but the quality was awful everything dead by day 3. For my second cycle, I primed with testosterone patches - used more menopur than last time and used HGH - my eggs still looked ugly to the embryologist but they made blasts - putting a PGS normal back next month!
The nursing staff is great - especially the phlebotomists and the ones who do the baseline scans. Very kind, they all remember my name and are aware of where I am in my cycle.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths are how well the three doctors work together - if you have a procedure on the weekend you won't always get your doctor - but they all know my case and they have been good about carrying across the standard of care. My main gripe is the wait to get an appointment if you are outside a cycle - though I do know that the doctors time is stretched thin. I am just impatient.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
I would tell any prospective patient to feel as comfortable as they can when they meet and discuss their issues with Grace Couchman. She is trustworthy and handles any situation greatly. She is going to be the best fertility doctor anyone can have.
Grace Couchman is a great human being. She listens to you, makes eye contact, makes one feel like they are important and their issue is important to her. She explains the situations and assures one understands what is going on. She never hesitates to help her patients even when she is on vacation. She understands people have another life and does not give them false hopes and makes sure they have a good relationship with their partner. She makes a doctor & patient conversation so easy and without any stress. She is such a down to earth person that anyone fells comfortable talking to her and discussing private issues. I was so happy to see her and work with her during the fertility trials.
She start with doing some test and blood work to start with. She would ask me to report to her any issues I have with my cycle or any questions I might have regarding medication usage and dose. She then would adjust my medication based on labs, my feedback on start of my cycle and such. She would have her nurse available at all time even when she was out of reach to give her the message.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions.
The nurse was available when Grace Couchman was out of town to assure I have my medication during holiday.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The staffs at this clinic were very professional.
I had coverage with my insurance for medications and basic treatments. I don't remember how much but I was only responsible for the co-pay. However, my partner and I would not be able to do IVF or more aggressive treatments as the cost would be out of our budget.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman was patient and good listener. I have PCOS and was over responsive to the injections, which led to canceling a planned IUI. At that point, I felt my affordable options were over. I did some research on my own and found out about ovarian drilling (laparoscopy and covered by my insurance). After speaking with Dr. Couchman, I learned it was a procedure she could perform. I only wish she had presented that as an option to me, as opposed to me spending countless hours searching for where to go next, considering I could not afford IVF.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Have a good understanding of all treatment options and talk with her about them.
She was very kind and I felt comfortable talking with her.
Dr. Couchman was conservative in her approach because of my PCOS. She didn't want to overstimulate my ovaries and called off a planned IUI due to 2 eggs that were close to 17mm and 2 that a were around 14/15. I did not like that decision, but appreciated the precaution she took. Also, after the laporascopic surgery (ovarian drilling), she only prescribed letrozol and did not put me on the injections. I didn't agree with that either, but I did conceive. Although it resulted in a miscarriage at 17 weeks. I do wish she had been aggressive in her precaution before releasing me to a regular OBGYN, as I think I should have been under the care of a Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist considering my medical history.
They were helpful and responsive to my callstop and questions.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I think the clinic should have a partnership with OBGYNs that specialize in high risk pregnancies. CC will help you get pregnant, but that's just one step in the journey. I wish I'd had more assistance with ensuring the pregnancy could be sustained.
Cost incurred for co-pay visits, ultrasounds, medications, surgical procedure, and IUI.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman was very honest and upfront with us from our very first visit. She responded to emails very quickly regardless of the time/day they were sent. I always felt like she cared for us and our dream of having a child. After reviewing all of our records and completing various tests, she provided us with multiple options and assisted us with choosing the most appropriate option for our family.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Explain your goals and financial situation so she can assist you in choosing the best option. She will be honest with you.
Dr. Couchman and the entire clinic felt every emotion with us throughout the entire journey.
I saw various nurses throughout our journey but each one was always knowledgeable of our journey and what step we were currently at. They were all very compassionate and explained everything well. When they were unsure of an answer and felt the doctor needed to provide more information, they would make sure we received an answer from the doctor. They also provided little tidbits of advise along the way regarding medicine, preparations for procedures, etc.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Our experience with Carolina Conceptions was wonderful and I missed the care and compassion from everyone so much after switching back to my OBGYN!!! It was so different to switch to a regular OB clinic after being under the care of Carolina Conceptions for 6-7 months. I always felt that everyone at the clinic was on our side and doing everything possible to assist in helping us get pregnant while also demonstrating compassion towards the emotional struggles of infertility. Everyone was always happy, supportive, and providing hope for us throughout everything. I do not miss the 3 hour drive each time I go to the doctor now, however I never had to wait for an appointment and you worked very well with scheduling appointments to accommodate us and help us to miss as little work as possible.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Couchman is very blunt. She doesn't sugar coat anything which can be hard to hear if you are older. She does give you all the information you need and you don't leave with questions. I would go to her again if I were going to do another treatment. She does take what she learns from each treatment and tries to development a plan based on that information when suggesting future treatments.... She doesn't seem to believe in eastern or naturopathic work which i feel should go along with fertility treatments. Patients should consider "getting their bodies ready" before any fertility treatment.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Just remember that she is blunt. She is very realistic about your chances of having a successful IVF cycle. She doesn't seem to believe in eastern or naturopathic work which i feel should go along with fertility treatments. Patients should consider "getting their bodies ready" before any fertility treatment.
Didn't get huge "warm and fuzzy" feeling, but honestly not much more she could have said or done. The only reason i would lean even slightly towards number is because she is very science based in treatment. Doesn't seem to believe in any holistic treatments to help with increasing the odds of infertility treatments.
we tried clomid for three months which Dr. Couchman did just to put my mind at ease. When doing IVF, i started with 3 weeks of birth control. I then did 10 days of injections with a trigger shot on the 10th day. Thirty-six hours later, we did egg retrieval. The first IVF cycle we did PGS testing on the one egg that survived to day 5. The embryo was considered abnormal. The second IVF cycle we used the same treatment with the addition of a human growth hormone added to my protocol. That cycle we had 2 embryos we could transfer on day 5 (we did not do PGS testing this round). On day 7, we learned that we had 1 more embryo to develop to blastocyst which we froze and have yet to transfer.
Strength - very efficient weakness - so many that they don't really know who you are when you visit the office
paid out of pocket for first treatment and it was around 13,000 for treatment and 5000 for meds. Same for second treatment, but 10,000 was covered under insurance.
Raleigh
From the very first meeting I felt completely at ease with Dr. Couchman. I am not one that like going to doctors and it give me anxiety but I can honestly say that I never felt that way under her care. Yes she gave me news and I information that was hard to hear at time but she always assured me that I would get pregnant. After my failed first round of IVF my husband and I new right away that we wanted to try again asap; Dr. Couchman supported us 100%. She gave us pros and cons of excerpt stpenof the way as well as time for us to think and pray on our decisions. She answered and emails or phone calls we made to her in a timely manner. We felt at ease the entire time under her care. We will be forever thankful for the two miracles she helped us conceive and bring into this world.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Ask questions if you don't understand a certain process or procedure. Every patient is different and what works for some may not be best for others. Going into it I thought IVF was a "last resort" option. But it turns out that it was the safest and most effective choice for me.
The whole time I was under Dr. Couchmans care I felt like I was treated like a human. To be honest that's the first thing my husband and I noticed about the entire practice and all the doctors and nurses. It was truely a wonderful experience. Going through infertilrynis hard and the last thing I would want is to just be treated like a number.
The nursing staff was excellent. The were professional while still showing compassion. Going through treatments you get to know them closely and having them hopeful and compassionate about me and what I was going trough made the process a lot easier. I will never forget the joy on their faces the day I got my positive pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The staff at Carolina Conceptions gives above and beyond For their patients. They make you feel like family. They answer and respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner.
Luckily my husband and I had excellent insurance. The covered most of my treatments completely and cover most of the cost associated with medicine/injections. Complete out of pocket expenses totaled about $6k.
2013 - 2015
Endometriosis, PCOS
Dr. Coachman is an excellent Dr. She really looks into your background and digs into why you are having fertility problems. Based on my history, she discussed her plan and we thought it was excellent. After discovering I have a very high egg count and my husband has a high sperm count we believe IUI was the way to go. Unfortunately, I never fully ovulated. We decided to go to our next step, which was either IVF or embryo adoption. We decided on embryo adoption because that was in our price range. 2 embryos we implanted by another dr and I had a successful pregnancy! Dr. Coachman saw me for my next appointments and was over the moon that we were finally pregnant! I hated to leave Carolina Conceptions.
2013 - 2015
Endometriosis, PCOS
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Be open to all options and be ready to listen. You won't always hear what you want to and that's ok. Dr. Coachman will work out a plan of action to help you have a baby.
Dr. Coachman was excellent. She sat my husband and myself down and discussed what we should expect from completing IUI treatments and what would happen if it did not work. She answered all of our questions and was excellent!
For my IUIs they were very thorough. I would come in when my cycle started on Day 1 to see if everything was good (no cysts, etc). After the nurse completed my ultra sound I was instructed to start my fertility oils, like clomid, on a certain day and start injections on the 3rd day, I believe. After so many days on the injections, I would go in for another ultrasound to see if I was ready to ovulate. I was directed to go home and give myself a trigger shot, have sex, and come back in 2 days to have an IUI done. We were also instructed to obstain on the 2nd day so my husbands count would be good. We did this for 3 cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Tammy)
All of the above were excellent! They were all very compassionate, answered any questions I had, laughed with me, got excited with me, and cried with me.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Carolina Conceptions is an excellent fertility clinic. Everyone there from the secretaries to the doctors are extremely caring and compassionate!! They listen to what your concerns are and are there for you! They have more strengths than weaknesses.
My insurance paid for most of my IUI appointments and medication. I believe we paid out $500 all together. For our embryo, we put down a $300 non refundable deposit, paid for medications, and the transfer which totaled around $5,000 , maybe a little more than that.
When we completed embryo adoption they implanted 2 embryos and believe this would be great. We are very thankful one took!
Raleigh
I completed three rounds back to back of IUI with Clomid and injections. As we were waiting to see the third round of IUI results, I also trained for the IUI with injectables because Dr. Couchman felt that if the third round was not successful, then we would have a higher chance of doing that process without being too invasive. Luckily, the third round was successful and I had my daughter on her due date at the beginning of 2016.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman was extremely knowledgeable, comforting, matter of fact, and supportive. She was never discouraging or negative about the failed IUI attempts and continued to reassure me that everything was normal in the process. If she was unable to do the procedure, she was sure to have another one of the highly trained doctors do so. I have since moved to Georgia, but my partner and I plan on trying to have our second child and have already decided that we are willing to make the trips back to Raleigh to try with Dr. Couchman as our doctor (that is how much we love and respect her).
Trust in the process and in Dr. Couchman and her team.
Dr. Couchman made sure that I was the only thing she was thinking about during our appointments. She was willing to sit and explain in grave detail all of the process that my partner and I were going to be facing throughout our time with her. She also provided me with ample time to ask all of the questions I had and give as much comfort as possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions.
The entire staff at Carolina Conceptions from the receptionist to the top doctors are incredible. I was truly sad to leave the office once I had become pregnant because I wanted to stay working with the team for the entirety of my pregnancy. As I mentioned before, I plan to return to Carolina Conceptions when I am ready to try for baby number two because of their professionalism, support, guidance, relationships with patients, and expertise.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Nothing. We were informed of everything we could be throughout the process and any questions we had were immediately answered.
Apart from the 4 vials of sperm purchased, we spent approximately $2,000. This covered medications, preliminary testing, numerous visits, three inseminations, confirmation testing, and IUI with injectables training.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Grace Couchman was the perfect amount of professional, mixed with compassion, and I could not have asked for a better experience. She always answered my emails, even on the weekends!! I could not believe the level of care she provided. She always seemed genuinely excited for us every step of the way, and her optimism helped me to keep a positive outlook throughout the process. If I had a question, she would always respond in a timely manner. And when one of our twins didn't make it at week 9 of pregnancy, she called me as soon as she got the news. She made sense of it all, and brought so much clarification to the situation. She was factual and realistic about everything. I did not feel like she was trying any treatment that she knew was a waste of time. She knew what it was going to take to get us pregnant and helped us get to that goal.
Always ask questions. If you do no understand the answer given, ask for clarification. Dr. Couchman is extremely knowledgeable and intelligent. When doing something for a long time, we sometimes forget other people do not understand what we are talking about, so if she loses you, ask for clarification and she will lend it.
I do not remember specifics, but I was put on medications to do a fresh IVF cycle, and we used my husbands frozen sperm sample for the transfer with ICSI. I was given progesterone to take in the days leading up the transfer, and for about two weeks after. Because of male infertility we were told ICSI was our best option at conceiving with a fresh cycle.
The nurse on our case Terry Hunter was just as amazing. I wouldn’t always get calls or updates from her, but anyone that called me knew everything about my case and could answer any question I had. Terry was always fast to call me back, or respond to emails and make sure I was being taken care of. I never felt like the nursing staff did not know who I was or knew about my case, they all definitely communicated very well with one another!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Personalization is this clinics strength by far! The front desk staff, operators, financial advisors, lab techs, everyone makes you feel like they know and care about YOU and YOUR case. They always use your first name, and when you call, they make it seem like they were expecting to hear from you, and sound so happy to hear from you. I honestly have no weaknesses to report. this clinic was the most amazing customer service I have ever experienced
We had to do remote monitoring due to living in an area 3 hours away. The doctor’s office they set us up with in Wilmington was just as fantastic. Dr. William Cooper was great!
The cost of this practice was SLIGHTLY more expensive than a few others, but by far exceeds any and all expectations you would have when going through this process. They completely supported my wants and wishes to skip all the in between options that could have made them more money but may not have worked, and never once questioned my determination to go straight to the IVF. All of the other clinics we had talked to wanted us to try a million things that would have cost us an absurd amount of money, only to probably have to do the IVF my gut told me would work.
Both our doctor and the embryologist suggested we only transfer one embryo. They felt our likelihood of conceiving given what the issue was, was an easy fix and would result in a live birth. My husband and I are military, and cannot afford several rounds of IVF... So we went with our gut to transfer two embryos in hopes of getting twins, so we would not have to pay for another treatment and still get the two children we longed for. We felt supported, but they were honest about what that would mean if we had multiples, risks, complications etc. On the day of transfer, they suggested again we only transfer one, but I was adamant. I would say they tried to sway us to eSET, given our age and diagnosis, but ultimately they supported our decision.
2012 - 2014
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Couchman was outstanding. We were not sure what to expect however we had zero complaints or reservations about working with Dr. Couchman. She was incredibly compassionate, listened to us thoroughly at each visit and always gave us plenty of time to meet with her during appointments and even via email during treatment cycles. She is exceptional in her counseling style and offers solid advice to her patients...
2012 - 2014
European, Other
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Be prepared to hear what she has to tell you. The method we ultimately selected was not the first choice but after several meetings with Dr. Couchman was the one that worked best for us. Be open to any and all suggestions, she is an expert in her field.
From the very first meeting, Dr. Couchman was delightful. She listened to our concerns, answered any and all questions and was consistently available for questions and issues throughout out cycles.
All the nursing staff was exceptional. They showed not only compassion and understanding but many times used humor which was a huge relief and breaks up the tension of a difficult situation. I always felt incredibly taken care of while under their care.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Carolina Conceptions has no weaknesses in my opinion. My husband and I remarked at every visit how pleasant the experience was for us. All the staff, from the front desk to the nurses, embryologists and physicians are top notch and make their patients a priority. They are kind, polite, smart and people that feel like family after going through the process.
In total between meds and procedures, we spent approximately $50,000. My husband and I carry the cystic fibrosis gene therefore we had to have genetic testing for all embryos. Insurance did not cover any of our procedures or medications.
2008 - 2011
IUI, 4 IVF, 6 Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
[Dr. Grace] Couchman paid close attention to my responses to medications and protocols in previous cycles. She always pointed out specific things from previous cycles that I failed to remember. I felt cared for by Dr. Couchman. She had my best interest at heart and I could feel it in everything that she did in my behalf as my doctor. And friend.... Facing miscarriages was the hardest experience of my life but I felt like I wasn't alone during those experiences - Dr. Couchman was there every step of the way. We were optimistic but practical about my pregnancies and Dr. Couchman always remained honest. I appreciated her consistent efforts to make such a difficult time so much easier for me.
2008 - 2011
IUI, 4 IVF, 6 Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Rest assured that you are in good hands with Dr. Couchman. She cares about her patients and has every desire to make your dreams come true with a healthy baby. Be honest and candid with Dr. Couchman and she will alleviate your concerns and worries.
Dr. Couchman treated me like a friend, like a mother, and especially as someone who had my best interest in mind. She cared about my feelings but she kept things in perspective and remained realistic and practical.
Dr. Couchman paid close attention to my responses to medications and protocols in previous cycles. She always pointed out specific things from previous cycles that I failed to remember. I felt cared for by Dr. Couchman. She had my best interest at heart and I could feel it in everything that she did in my behalf as my doctor. And friend.
Everyone was very professional and considerate.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
This clinic works as a team and does everything as a whole to provide fantastic patient care. They care very deeply about their patients and it shows in everything that they do.
Monitoring was usually done at a time that was relatively convenient for me most of the time. It was quick and painless most days.
It was a ton of money, that's all I remember!
Dr. Couchman always reminded me of practicalities - even when my head was in the clouds and the thought of sextuplets sounded fun! Dr. Couchman kept me grounded and realistic and for that I am truly grateful.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman does a good job at communicating my courses of treatment. She is very responsive to email messages and is open to consulation appts. ...They dont tend to run extensive testing, but will start you on treatment right away....Dr. COUCHMAN and the entire staff at carolina conceptions are extemely responsive to all questions. Very willing to take the time to speak with us about our treatments.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman does a good job at communicating my courses of treatment. She is very responsive to email messages and is open to consulation appts. The practice is very focused on pregnancy success rates, which is good, but I would also like to know more about my individual diagnosis.
carolina conceptions is very motivated to get you pregnant. They dont tend to run extensive testing, but will start you on treatment right away. Make sure that you ask plenty of questions (around treatment, finances, etc) so you know what to expect
Dr. COUCHMAN and the entire staff at carolina conceptions are extemely responsive to all questions. Very willing to take the time to speak with us about our treatments. Their support staff- nurses, front desk, financial reps- are also amazing!!
1st Ivf was traditional with gonal f, cetrotide, and hcg trigger. It was cancelled b/c I ovulated early 2nd cycle was lupron down-reg. retrieved 8 eggs, which fertilized, 3 made it to blastocyst and were sent for PGS. 2 were normal and frozen.
Very compassionate, communicative, and organized. Excellent patient care and followup. The nurses who teach the ivf and fet classes are excellent and very responsive to questions afterward
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Very organized. Open 24/7...very easy to get appointments once you are an established patient. Front staff is very flexible with appointments, ie, if you are running late for a scan, they can usually still fit you in. Everyone is great!!
$20,000 for ivf
Due to my age, dr couchman will not transfer more than 1 egg at a time. Carolina conceptions has policies in place to prevent pregnancy with multiples.
IVF, Donor Eggs
She [Dr. Grace Couchman] has one f the best patient handling approach I have experienced. Not only she is an expert with specific solid recommendations, she provides a fair explanation on why she recommends something. She listens to what you have to say and never neglects or discards our comments and/or concerns...Dr. was great during the whole process. She always took the time to walk us through the particularities, risks and key milestones of this very sensitive process. She was always very empathic with our particular situation as we had failed treatments in other clinics before and we lost a child due to a congenital disease. Always very open to answer all questions we had in a way it was simple for us to understand. She is just the best!
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She has one f the best patient handling approach I have experienced. Not only she is an expert with specific solid recommendations, she provides a fair explanation on why she recommends something. She listens to what you have to say and never neglects or discards our comments and/or concerns.
Be open and honest...she will listen. Dedicate time to explain your personal situation, she will take all this into consideration for a best treatment for you.
We followed the clinic protocol, she recommended a few adjustments along the way as my wife has a Thyroid affection and she was allergic to some presentations of the hormones needed. she always had a precise adjustment to dosage and/or particular situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Very open, structured, directive and willing to listen. Always responded on a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Very well organized clinic. correct staff in terms of level of training and patient handling.
overall good service, could be more proactive on better explaining Insurance coverage as we are not always very familiar on terminology.
We did a multiple embryo transfer based on her recommendation. which resulted in a successful pregnancy and a healthy little boy. her recommendation was based on the quality and condition of the few embryos we had.
2014 - 2017
I believe Dr. Couchman is very frank in her discussion of what a patient should expect as far as chances for pregnancy. In general, I wish the clinic were more detailed in procedures that need to be followed at home. Often times i felt I needed to ask further or call again to clarify what I needed to do... We had ovarian stimulation for all procedures to increase egg production. I had 3 timed intercourses, 3 IUI's and 1 IVF with my own egg. I will attempt an IVF with donor egg soon
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Be prepared for honesty and be your own advocate as far as your procedures
I realize Dr. Couchman must be frank in her discussing expectations with older patients but I felt there could have been more "empathy". Also, sometimes the procedures of injections were gone through very quickly and I felt a little underinformed during the process
I believe the nurses were all very proficient and kind. My only complaint is that sometimes I felt "rushed" through what I needed to do at home as far as injections, injection schedule.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strength, the staff is very friendly and very good at their jobs. I didnt like that I would have to see other doctor's other than Dr. Couchman at times, since I specifically chose to work with her. It was, however, somtimes unavoidable.
I was covered by insurance for 2 timed intercourses as well as 2 IUI's, I believe. I also had an IVF
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman has been fantastic. This has been a very challenging experience for my husband and I to go through. After several failed treatments, we have decided to start IVF treatment. During the first meeting with Dr. Couchman, this is the treatment that she recommended for me but was willing to help us try other less invasive and less expensive methods first. To be honest, she was right to recommend IVF off the bat but I am still glad she let us try a few other things first and was so supportive all the way through. Every time we have requested to meet with her she has made time for us right away.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman is professional yet very relatable. One visit we spent nearly an hour in her office talking and trying to get an understanding of our treatment. I never felt rushed or pressured at all. We appreciated her kindness and her willingness to answer all of our questions as well as hear our frustrations.
Go with her.
The nursing staff has been wonderful. At every visit and every ultrasound (there have been over 20) they have gone out of their way to make me feel comfortable and also NORMAL. Dealing with infertility can be embarrassing and make you feel ashamed at first. Carolina Conceptions staff made me feel like everything I was going through was normal.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I have not experienced anything negative so far with Carolina Conceptions and I've been with them for over a year.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
In my experience, Dr. Couchman was the absolute epitome of a doctor who deals with very sensitive subjects. She explained everything in detail and answered all of my questions. Because I do not live in the same area as Dr. Couchman, I emailed her frequently and she ALWAYS responded promptly! I definitely felt informed and cared for during each appointment. As a patient, I would recommend Dr. Couchman to anyone!
Ask every single question that you have, no matter how silly/unimportant you think it is because she will answer them all!
Dr. Couchman listened to me, and that made me feel like a human, not just another sad statistic. She welcomed my questions and answered each thoughtfully.
I first had the egg count (via a blood draw) done. Next, I had the HSG completed. Dr. Couchman felt that she needed this information to determine the next steps. The results were that I have plenty of eggs and my uterus is "healthy", but I have recurrent miscarriages for unknown reasons. I am just beginning my IVF journey--I have currently only been prescribed birth control pills.
The nursing staff (that I have only dealt with over the phone as of now), were very helpful and kind. I've asked a LOT of questions, and they were always answered kindly.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic was everything I expected--professional, helpful, and welcoming!
My insurance covered part of the consultations, so I only paid the co-pay which was around $100.
I don't have any experience with this.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman takes time to answer all of your questions. I am the kind of patient who wants to know every detail and every possible outcome. She took the time to explain things carefully. She was also realistic in telling us we didn't have great odds doing timed intercourse, even with me medications...She allowed us to try on our own first through timed intercourse and medications. I overreacted the first 2 cycles and had too many follicles. 3rd time I had 3, so we moved forward with that cycle and will see what happens. She has adjusted the plan of treatment accordingly throughout.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman has been great. She allowed us to try on our own first through timed intercourse and medications. I overreacted the first 2 cycles and had too many follicles. 3rd time I had 3, so we moved forward with that cycle and will see what happens. She has adjusted the plan of treatment accordingly throughout.
Ask questions! She's more than willing to answer them.
1st Cycle: Follistim only (too many follicles...about 9 in total. Cycle cancelled). 2nd Cycle: Lower dose of Follistim and Letrozole (still too many follicles, 4, with a few right behind them. We were given an option to try, but we cancelled this cycle also) 3rd Cycle: Letrozole only cycle days 3-7. 3 mature follicles. Moved forward with timed intercourse.
Nursing staff is FABULOUS. So responsive and compassionate and super knowledgeable. They have done a lot of my monitoring and always take time to explain things...and the clinic has a nurse's line that is also very helpful.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic is great. Even when it's busy, I've never had to wait long.
Co-pay for visits Medications Follistim class
3 IUI, IVF
Dr. Couchman did my second round of ivf after multiple failed fertility treatments elsewhere. She was appropriately compassionate and efficient...day 5 transfer 2 embryos after ICSI and assisted hatching...Dr. Couchman was extremely professional, knowledgeable and caring. She took time to make me comfortable with my treatment plans.
3 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman did my second round of ivf after multiple failed fertility treatments elsewhere. She was appropriately compassionate and efficient. I gave birth to a healthy beautiful baby boy after successful IVF and sent a birth announcement to the office. Dr. Couchman took the time to send me a very nice handwritten congratulations after receiving the announcement.
Don't mistake a quiet demeanor for unfriendliness. She is very warm, but understandably very focused prior to and during procedures.
GonalF and Femara were the mainstays along with injections of lupron and growth hormone..daily follicle checks. Ovidrel when follicle size was appropriate, egg retrieval soon after, day 5 transfer 2 embryos after ICSI and assisted hatching. 10 dates later + HCG. 1st trimester on progesterone. Perfect little baby boy.
Strengths. Very kind courteous and compassionate. Weaknesses. I did not get much teaching about injection regimens., this would have been very stressful were I not a healthcare professional
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Clean, friendly staff front and back. Elevator is pretty slow
I was so so fortunate to have an insurance plan that paid for everything excepting a few meds. Our total out of pocket wasp $3000
I failed my first round with this approach. Only has 2 decent embryos second go round. We discussed and agreed transfer of both was best.
Raleigh
We chose Dr. Couchman because of her expertise, not for her bedside manner. She is very blunt, but in our case was exactly what I needed. We suffered from male factor infertility, but Dr. Couchman was quick to tell me that I needed to lose some weight before our transfer to increase our odds of achieving a pregnancy. She was always quick to respond to emails, and was very thorough when explaining our treatment plans.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Menopur, Gonal F, and Cetrotide injections prior to retrieval to stimulate egg production- ovaries were monitored for follicle growth. I was extremely bloated while getting these injections. HCG, Lupron (trigger shot) Began Z-PAC the day before egg retrieval Progesterone injections (10 weeks)- Began the day after egg retrieval and continued after positive pregnancy test Began Estrace after retrieval
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
ALL of the staff members at Carolina Conceptions are kind, knowledgeable, and compassionate. From the secretary, to the nurses and doctors, the phlebotomists, the embrologists...they go out of their way to know your name and make sure you’re receiving the best care possible!
Between one round of IVF with ICSY and our medications, our grand total was around $19,000. We also have 3 more frozen embryos at CarolinaConceptions that run around $400 a year.
Dr. Couchman was very clear in Explaining the possibility of multiples with a 2-embryo transfer. We transferred 2 embryos in hopes of a twin pregnancy. We were told that the clinic will only transfer more than 2 embryos in very drastic situations after every other route has been tried. Only one embryo “took”.
Raleigh
She [Dr. Couchman] was very professional and didnt not set unrealistic expectations. But she was never present for procedure, nurses did it and nothing was ever adjusted to meet our needs, medicine then iui and no guidance...Ask alot of questions because she does not give information without specifically being asked...She was very quick with us, nurse handles everything during IUI, we didnt even lay eyes on her the day of the IUI she just over saw it
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She was very professional and didnt not set unrealistic expectations. But she was never present for procedure, nurses did it and nothing was ever adjusted to meet our needs, medicine then iui and no guidance.
Ask her to perform the procedure herself, if a nurse was supposed to do it then a doctor wouldnt have to "over see" it. Ask alot of questions because she does not give information without specifically being asked.
She was very quick with us, nurse handles everything during IUI, we didnt even lay eyes on her the day of the IUI she just over saw it. I feel like they could treat people a little more like a human but overall not bad care.
I cant remember the names of medicines but we used a pill, then a shot, then iui and it did not work either time and we were told not to waste money on more than two iui and then use money for ivf
Very sweet and caring, I dont like that they do the procedures themselves but thats not their fault. The nurses were actually the most helpful and likeable part of this whole clinic.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
They do not communicate well and they tell you your plan one time and your just supposed to know and remember, its expensive anywhere but this clinic will not help you file insurance if you are disabled and on medicare.
hsg was $450, iui $1200 not including meds insurance doesnt cover, sperm analysis $150 and past that I cant remember
Raleigh
She was nice and seemed to care but I didn't feel as much compassion from her as I would have wished. This is the hardest thing I've gone through thus far in my life and she was very dry at points. She was informative but was recommending tests for me to go through that I already had done... I had written down a lot of details on initial paperwork that was asked multiple times during first visit. Wish she would have reviewed what was written before which would have made me feel more comfortable or that she had looked into what could be going on instead of being told then
Middle Eastern, Other
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She's nice but at points doesn't seem as sympathetic as I would have hoped.
I didn't start going through infertility treatments. I had a few tests done to determine my egg quality and if my tube was still open. I had one ovary removed and endometriosis on the other so I wasn't sure on where to start with fertility treatments. I'm now deciding what I think would be best for me
Very nice and to the point. Got me right back for my appointments and made sure I knew everything going on
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
This clinic is very accommodating. I had to reschedule appointments due to insurance issues and they helped me out significantly.
I only had to pay my specialist copay under my insurance at the time. Unfortunately I have since lost my health insurance which has put a pause on me being able to continue going.
She said they would not do multiple embryo transfer which upset me. I was hoping that I would be able to transfer a few
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr Couchman took the time to sit down with us on a few occasions and she's followed up with me. Plus, she remembered me from the first time several years ago...has been great throughout our first IUI in 2015 and now that we're back in 2018. She's been straight with us and makes me feel comfortable with the process and where we're going and if changes need to be made...There was a change on my dosage as my body wasn't reacting properly. It was explained to me clearly what the plan and expected outcome was.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman has been great throughout our first IUI in 2015 and now that we're back in 2018. She's been straight with us and makes me feel comfortable with the process and where we're going and if changes need to be made.
Be honest with what you're wanting to achieve and be sure to ask questions, any questions
I've been doing IUI with pills for the first few days and injectables for the rest. There was a change on my dosage as my body wasn't reacting properly. It was explained to me clearly what the plan and expected outcome was.
Very quick to get my appointment started and done, no waiting around for a long time. They're straight forward with what that appointment is for and what they'll be doing. They put me at ease.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Very organized with the check-in and check-out process. They're also quick to get you in and out, I don't recall that I've ever had to wait a long time. They have weekend hours which offer flexibility
Total of 2-3 ultrasounds at 116 each. Other costs around 3-400 as I recall
2012 - 2017
She [Dr. Grace Couchman] is very approachable. She takes the time to listen and explain. She gives her email address and welcomes you to email her with any questions or concerns direct. She remembers you even though it may have been years since she saw or spoke to you last.... Although we haven't had success yet, she always leaves us excited to try the next option. She is very detailed but gets right down to business. I also like that we meet in her office most of the time and just talk...it isn't intimidating. She is very approachable and genuinely concerned, ready to find a solution.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She isn't a miracle worker, but strives to be.
She is very approachable. She takes the time to listen and explain. She gives her email address and welcomes you to email her with any questions or concerns direct. She remembers you even though it may have been years since she saw or spoke to you last.
We have unexplained infertility and have just started working with her. So far we have done all the help and she pre tests. Eggs are good, sperm is good, uterus is good, all levels are normal. We did 3 cycles of 50 mg of clomid without a positive result.
Friendly and compassionate
Welcoming and clean
Copay under insurance for office visits. Clomid was covered, any in office testing was covered, but once we started getting into more complicated procedures nothing was cover under insurance. Iui was about 2-3k and Ivf was upwards to 18k+.
We haven't discussed this in much detail because the cost of treatment was more than we could handle....just not an option.
Raleigh
We visited doctor Couchman for 2 times. After taken all the tests, and everything is fine, she suggested us to take IUI. And explained us how the IUI will work. ... two same IUI, take the baseline utralsound at day2-3, then take the Letrozole from day 3-7, then take another utralsound at day 12, then take a shot at that day night. At last, have the IUI at day 14. But unfortunately, we have the negative results.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
We visited doctor Couchman for 2 times. After taken all the tests, and everything is fine, she suggested us to take IUI. And explained us how the IUI will work. After the 2 unsuccessful IUI, we will see her again to talk about the next step.
If she can explain the reason of my infertility.
She is very nice and explained the process in detail.
I can not remember much. Every time there was a different one.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I think it is a good clinic, all the staff are nice and the doctors are good. But if they can upload the patients' information to a system they can have a chance to look at it, That will be great.
My insurance can not cover any procedure about infertility treatment. So about one time's IUI is $250+$250+$480+medicine, around $1000. Now we will take IVF, I am not sure the price of it. I just worried about that if we can handle the expensive fee.
PCOS, Other
minimal one-on-one time with doctor [Dr. Grace Couchman] ; responses to questions are vague; when asked for where to look for additional research on my diagnosis, dr. was not helpful...My partner and I have gone through 3 rounds of hormone injections. The first two we used Letrozole and Ovidrel; the third we used Follistim and Letrozole. All three have resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr. Couchman was reluctant to move to Follistim right away because of my unicornuate uterus. (Having multiple fertilized eggs would be very risky).
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman appears to be very cerebral; the downside of this is that I often felt like she was withholding essential information from me. I've also been frustrated by the infrequency of actually seeing the doctor.
Get as much face time as possible and ask a lot of questions
minimal one-on-one time with doctor; responses to questions are vague; when asked for where to look for additional research on my diagnosis, dr. was not helpful
The nursing staff is huge! I have almost never seen the same nurse or tech twice; this prohibits any real relationships from forming.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I'm almost always able to schedule an appointment. There is usually minimal wait time in the office. Office-patient communication is challenging and billing is a nightmare.
Fertility treatments are expensive. To date, my partner and I have spent about $3000 out-of-pocket for 3 rounds of hormone therapy.
Raleigh
She [Dr. Grace Couchman] explained all the results to us and helped us understand our options. She made sound recommendations, and I felt much better after leaving because I had a good sense of direction to move forward. She seemed nice and approachable and even gave us her card, which doctors never seem to do. It was nice to interact with her, and I haven't experienced any specific weaknesses that I would highlight.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She explained all the results to us and helped us understand our options. She made sound recommendations, and I felt much better after leaving because I had a good sense of direction to move forward. She seemed nice and approachable and even gave us her card, which doctors never seem to do. It was nice to interact with her, and I haven't experienced any specific weaknesses that I would highlight.
Take all the data in and determine where it is you want to go next
People in the office were really nice. She talked to us in her office and answered all the questions we had.
First, we looked at my egg count and thyroid for possible issues. We also looked into my husband's sperm count and my progesterone levels. They looked to see if my tubes were blocked (which one is), and we talked about next steps from there.
Very pleasant to interact with, helpful when checking in or explaining the basic information, seemed to really know their stuff
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
No weaknesses to speak of, everyone was really nice and helpful
$30 office visit
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman's strengths included her demeanor and honesty. However, with the cost of egg retrieval being so expensive, perhaps sitting down with the "financial person" should occur before the actual visit with the doctor.... Dr. Couchman emailed me to tell me the results of my blood test and wanted to follow up with me with another appointment to talk about the next. I didn't schedule another appointment with her, but at least she was willing to meet with me to talk about my options going forward.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Be prepared for any procedure here to cost an incredible amount of money.
Dr. Couchman was very pleasant in my meeting with her. She explained everything and took into consideration that I was going to have surgery during possible treatment for future egg retrieval.
I didn't really interact with the nursing staff. I only interacted with them when they drew my blood. They were nice and pleasant.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I have not visited other fertility clinics so I have nothing to compare it to.
The initial visit was $150 which wasn't bad. Everything else was typical in terms of costs of procedures at a fertility clinic - exorbitantly expensive.
Raleigh
My husband and I have been trying to conceive for over 8 years and we desperately want to conceive. Dr Couchman helped us to identify the underlying issue and she gave good feedback as to what our options are. She was compassionate and understanding.... She let us know that the best option would be IVF. She let us know the risks and success rates as well as explaining the procedure process. She was a wonderful fertility doctor.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
As a patient of Dr Couchman I went in unsure of what my fertility options were. As stated before my husband and I want to conceive children. She made us aware of what the issue was and she provided us with our different options. She made us feel very comfortable and confidenr with the options. She let us know that the best option would be IVF. She let us know the risks and success rates as well as explaining the procedure process. She was a wonderful fertility doctor.
Be sure to listen to her because she gives very good suggestions.
She first started me out on clomid and gave me dietary changes to make to my diet and encouraged exercise.
The nursing staff was very nice and helpful.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I didn’t see anything in regards to weaknesses but it seemed like a very calm environment. The staff was friendly and professional. They answered any questions and made sure you were made to feel comfortable.
I don’t quite remember the costs associated with care.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
She's [Dr. Couchman] very medical minded and didn't seem super personable at first, but she was always very matter of fact, which we appreciated, and became warmer as she got to know us both. She's easily reachable through email, and she never rushed any of our consultation appointments...In the beginning with my partner, we were treated very much like a number but as the years and treatments continued, we began to get to know Dr Couchman a little better and she became more relaxed and candid with us.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She's very medical minded and didn't seem super personable at first, but she was always very matter of fact, which we appreciated, and became warmer as she got to know us both. She's easily reachable through email, and she never rushed any of our consultation appointments.
If you like this sugar-coated and more concerned about feelings, this may not be the doctor for you. But if you want numbers and facts no matter what, she's the one.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Weakness: they are very very busy. Sometimes your question may not be answered by medical staff, but front desk staff. However their front desk is a strong point. They are very knowledgeable and compassionate, we did not get that elsewhere
We had insurance coverage
She heavily prefers single transfer, as she she feels it's bordering unethical to intentionally introduce the difficulty of multiples.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman is very good. She is very responsive to emails and has a good plan for treatments. Overall, my experience with carolina conceptions has been a good one. I have also seen Dr. Meyer and Dr. Bowling who are very good doctors as well. Dr. Bowling performed my egg retrieval.... First ivf cycle was traditional and was cancelled due to early ovulation. Second ivf cycle was lupron down reg.... Ask lots of questions.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Ask lots of questions. Carolina conceptions is very motivated to help you get pregnant.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Carolina conceptions labs are excellent. My husband and I attended a seminar hosted by the director prior to IVF treatment and it really helped us with our decision to move forward. The lab is well-organized and the staff is very knowledgeable and friendly.
$20,000 for ivf including meds
Raleigh
We began seeing Dr. Couchman during one of her office days in Wilmington since that is where we live. She did a great job explaining how we could get our care coordinated between Wilmington and Raleigh. She was straightforward with how the process could potentially go. She called me to follow up with test results and is always great at answering emails.... We began with just clomid and timed intercourse. Then since my insurance covered some medication we did 2 rounds of injectables with timed intercourse. The third round we turned into an IUI. We are now beginning our round of IVF
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Same for any patient- ask questions! They are there to explain it all.
We began with just clomid and timed intercourse. Then since my insurance covered some medication we did 2 rounds of injectables with timed intercourse. The third round we turned into an IUI. We are now beginning our round of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions.
The nurses were very knowledgeable and caring. They do a great job coordinating care between Wilmington and Raleigh.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
There are 4 doctors and you may see some of them as you go through treatment; but that is a good thing. I feel like you get the benefit of different opinions.
No concerns
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman is easy to talk to, right away my husband and I knew that she is prefect doctor to help us on our fertility journey. We felt comfortable and we could trust her recommendations on our treatment plan. She's compassionate, empathetic and has great bedside manners. When our first treatment failed. She took the time to call us with the bad news. Every appointment we had with Dr. Couchman, we never felted rush. With our next treatment plan she explain our adjust protocol and always made sure we didn't have any concerns.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She's great and an expert in her field. Have an open mind to recommendations and options.
Dr.Couchman took the time to listen and sit down with my husband, to go over our treatment plan. She made sure that all our questions were answered and that if we had any concerns we could just contact her.
Medications, testing, medications about $6,000
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Couchman always delivered her services in a professional manner. She was honest and caring during the treatment. I strongly recommend her together with all her staff. They always made me feel welcome.... My plan for IVF was retrieval of sperm from my husband, eggs from me and transfer. Everything went smoothly just as planned.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Do never give up !
Dr. Couchman always delivered her services in a professional manner. She was honest about the treatment and chances of success. I strongly recommend Dr. Couchman to anyone in need of fertility treatments.
The nursing staff was kind and supportive.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Great hours....7:30 am - 4:00 pm. I used to be the first patient. Had enough time to get to work by 8:30 am. The staff is friendly and helpful.
IVF cycle teacher discount for June & July $10,000 Medication - $ 6800 My husband sperm retrieval - $8000
She recommended the transfer of 2 embryos.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman was kind yet very direct and informative during our first visit. It was nice to hear a straightforward "plan" but it was delivered in a very caring and understanding way. She listened to our many questions and was always respectful and honest.... In an often emotional and uncomfortable situation, it was nice to feel at ease and to be helped by such friendly and understanding people.
Ask questions!
The staff and doctors were all very kind and treated my husband and I very professionally and respectfully. In an often emotional and uncomfortable situation, it was nice to feel at ease and to be helped by such friendly and understanding people.
Everyone that we encountered from the nursing staff was friendly and helpful!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Aside from everything else that I have already noted, the front desk staff was THE BEST! They shaped the whole experience in my opinion!
Roughly $1000 per iui cycle I believe
Did not apply to us
Raleigh
[Dr. Couchman is...] Lovely, honest, and caring. We never waited long for our appointment. If news was bad, such as our first failed IVF, she called me directly to explain things. She gave me her own email and always answered even my smallest questions...So kind and caring. Was always called directly and everyone knew me by name in the office...
Do PGS
Ivf w/ icsi, pgs on day 5 embryos and fet for recurrent pregnancy loss. One failed cycle, current cycle heard the heartbeat of our baby for the first time.
Upbeat and informative
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Caring, but still happy. Knowledgable and up-to-date information and treatment. We went with the most drastic treatment and it worked. Price is high, but you get what you pay for and we would gladly pay it again.
Quick wait each time. In and out with u/s and bloodwork within a half hour even if I was early for my appt
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman was very personable as a very good bedside manner is very knowledgeable and very attentive. She was always available via phone or email and I never felt like I was bothering her. She was willing to listen to my concerns... No matter what my concern was she was always willing to listen and come up with a solution... All of the nurses were very knowledgeable and very willing to answer all my questions
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman was very personable as a very good bedside manner is very knowledgeable and very attentive. She was always available via phone or email and I never felt like I was bothering her. She was willing to listen to my concerns regarding what we were not doing in this cycle that I had done with a previous doctor in another state.
See her
She was always available to answer my questions via phone or email. No matter what my concern was she was always willing to listen and come up with a solution
I'm sorry I do not recall exact protocols
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The entire Clinic is great. The only issue I ever had was having to pay for a nurse class every cycle I did. In my last Clinic I didn't have to pay for a nurse to show me what my injection schedule was going to be.
I had very good insurance. I how to pay for cryopreservation of embryos and nurse classes
Each time we transferred I put into embryos and she had no problem with it
Raleigh
She [Dr. Grace Couchman] is nice and told us what she expects. Once you leave you can't talk to her, and she doesn't answer her emails. She seems to push higher end treatments and I don't feel she does enough testing or listening to me as a patient... Front staff [at Carolina Conceptions] is awesome. They seem to have it together better than the back staff. Better personalities and get you the help you need. They can juggle a lot and you still feel like a person.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She is nice and told us what she expects. Once you leave you can't talk to her, and she doesn't answer her emails. She seems to push higher end treatments and I don't feel she does enough testing or listening to me as a patient.
Get all your questions answered when you meet with her.
Doesn't return emails
Some were strait up rude. One told me my cycle would fail because my eggs were to big.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Front staff is awesome. They seem to have it together better than the back staff. Better personalities and get you the help you need. They can juggle a lot and you still feel like a person. I would call the appt line vs. The nurse line if I had a question
800 iui cycle without meds
Raleigh
Dr couchman tried to help me get pregnant by changing my diet, lifestyle and a little help from clomid. She gave me the motivation to change so I could make my dream of becoming a mother a reality. Thank you!...She was very honest and motivational. A good mix of reality and compassion...Little interaction [with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions]. I saw a phlebotomist and she didn't even speak to me. Dr couchman is great and the front desk was friendly but I was not impressed with the rest of the staff...Dr couchman tried to help me get pregnant by changing my diet, lifestyle and a little help from clomid. She gave me the motivation to change so I could make my dream of becoming a mother a reality. Thank you!...She was very honest and motivational. A good mix of reality and compassion
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Be open minded and don't expect a magic fix
She was very honest and motivational. A good mix of reality and compassion
Weight loss, exercise and 3 rounds of clomid. The 3rd round resulted in pregnancy
Little interaction. I saw a phlebotomist and she didn't even speak to me. Dr couchman is great and the front desk was friendly but I was not impressed with the rest of the staff
Just the cost of the clomid rx
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
She [Dr Couchman] is less interested in the details of your infertility and wants to treat everyone basically the same...Really uncommon and rare things were happening to me and she didn't ever want to talk about possible explanations.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She is less interested in the details of your infertility and wants to treat everyone basically the same.
She was less interested in why I was experiencing infertility, saying that regardless of what is going on with me, the treatment will always be the same. But from my perspective the details of the treatment (type of supplements/meds and dosage) should be different depending on the cause of infertility, etc. Really uncommon and rare things were happening to me and she didn't ever want to talk about possible explanations.
Raleigh
She [Dr. Couchman] took time to explain things and made sure My husband and I understood things.... She is very compassionate and caring. She makes sure you understand things and that your partner understands things as well. She makes herself available to answer any questions that come up. She takes her time and does not rush and you feel at ease with her.... She recommended IVF almost $15,000.... Everyone was caring and friendly.
Never give up hope.
She took time to explain things and made sure My husband and I understood things.
Everyone was caring and friendly.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Clinic is busy but not long wait times. Clinic is very prompt about calling to setup appointment once they receive the referral from your doctor. They make sure to answer any questions that you may have and they do not rush you out of the way when you are asking questions.
She recommended IVF almost $15,000.
2012 - 2013
Her [Dr. Grace Couchman] energy is positive, her knowledge is endless and her ability to show compassion while delivering bad news (that she's already delivered to thousandsof people before) are some of her strengths...She's smart, kind, easy to talk to and compassionate. Her care is excellent.
2012 - 2013
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman is a good doctor. Her energy is positive, her knowledge is endless and her ability to show compassion while delivering bad news (that she's already delivered to thousandsof people before) are some of her strengths.
Ask questions and take notes.
Dr. Couchman is great. She's smart, kind, easy to talk to and compassionate. Her care is excellent.
Kind, smart, personable
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The front desk coordinator is a genuine and loving person. She will brighten your darkest days.
We did 1 IUI with Dr. Couchman for a total of about $3500