6.2

Lexington
One Forbes Road
Lexington, MA 02421
800 858-4832

I was never explained the rationale for the protocol Dr. Lee decided for me, but it was a patch antagonist protocol...She also didn't explain to me at all from the very beginning that she would not be doing all my procedures -- egg retrieval, egg transfer -- which would have perhaps been a determining factor in picking her and her clinic for my first cycle...I found Dr. Lee to be a little misleading more than once...At first she said insurance would probably cover my treatment because my tubes are blocked but then the next time I saw her, she'd done a complete 180 and reversed her stance saying the probability of that happening was low because my husband had had a vasectomy,
There were a few instances of miscommunication/misunderstandings at Dr. Lee's [Harvard Vanguard] office, which made me lose trust in them. It also made me feel like they either lack basic management/coordination skills or simply have too many patients handling at once. It was my first cycle ever so naturally in the beginning I was blindingly trusting they were doing everything right, but then I felt I had to double check and double confirm instructions, since I had little confidence in them.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
I found Dr. Lee to be a little misleading more than once. At first she said insurance would probably cover my treatment because my tubes are blocked but then the next time I saw her, she'd done a complete 180 and reversed her stance saying the probability of that happening was low because my husband had had a vasectomy, which she knew from the beginning. There were other incidents (too long to describe here) that made me lose confidence in her practice. She also didn't explain to me at all from the very beginning that she would not be doing all my procedures -- egg retrieval, egg transfer -- which would have perhaps been a determining factor in picking her and her clinic for my first cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Assume nothing and double check and double confirm every piece of information coming from her office. Also, the proverbial "ask a lot of questions" -- but many people don't even know what questions to ask! Just do a lot of research on IVF cycles and potential protocols and don't be afraid to question or second-guess her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
There were a few instances of miscommunication/misunderstandings at Dr. Lee's office, which made me lose trust in them. It also made me feel like they either lack basic management/coordination skills or simply have too many patients handling at once. It was my first cycle ever so naturally in the beginning I was blindingly trusting they were doing everything right, but then I felt I had to double check and double confirm instructions, since I had little confidence in them.
Describe the protocols Grace Lee used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
I was never explained the rationale for the protocol Dr. Lee decided for me, but it was a patch antagonist protocol. It yielded an amazing amount of eggs: 10 were retrieved. But only 3 of those were fertilized.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Harvard Vanguard.
Conflicting instructions among the nurses, lack of communication on critical information -- which caused a cycle to get canceled.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Again, some conflicting instructions coming from Boston IVF and the doctor's office/nurse, which led me to lose confidence in the whole practice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard.
We paid about $22,000 total for one cycle.
Describe Grace Lee's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
I did not get a good education on the trade offs between multiple embryo transfer vs. single.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
The day of my pregnancy test, the lab didn't even have the order in for it. I was panicking because I thought I had the wrong date. I had to spend some time tracking down the real story which was that they had simply not put it in. Apparently for that delay, it was 4pm and I still had not gotten a call back with the results. Another miscommunication: I was told by one nurse to start on the stimulating hormone on a specific day, only to have another nurse tell me at the last minute that no, I needed to start with a patch, not with the injections. Yet another one: right before my trigger shot, Boston IVF told me to continue with one last dose of the stimulating hormone when the nurse at my doctor's office had told me to skip it.

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
Despite of my clear symptoms of endometriosis. Dr. Lee diagnose us as unexplained. This wrong diagnose lead to 3 failed IUI which could have been avoided if she would send me directly for a Laparoscopy. (Where I later find out the poor state of my tubes). It also lead to 2 failed embryo transfer...Sadly I did not have a good experinece with Dr. Lee. She is a straightforward doctor. She dosen't show passion for her patient. She does not consider the patient's symptoms but will follow a standard procedures. This might not be entirely her fault, be due to the Harvard Vanguard standard procedure and luck of flexibility. She is fast and direct. For some this might work.
Nurse stuff are doing most of the work. They were all good and efficient...When I left Harvard Vanguard to move to another clinic they were very slow to share my data...Sadly I did not have a good experinece with Dr. Lee. She is a straightforward doctor. She dosen't show passion for her patient. She does not consider the patient's symptoms but will follow a standard procedures. This might not be entirely her fault, be due to the Harvard Vanguard standard procedure and luck of flexibility. She is fast and direct. For some this might work.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
To challenge her assumptions. Be informed and prepared ahead.
She followed a standard protocol for all the treatments I had. Without considering my endometriosis (which she denied I had) or my AMH levels.
Despite of my clear symptoms of endometriosis. Dr. Lee diagnose us as unexplained. This wrong diagnose lead to 3 failed IUI which could have been avoided if she would send me directly for a Laparoscopy. (Where I later find out the poor state of my tubes). It also lead to 2 failed embryo transfer. Since the protocol was not adapt for a patient suffering endometriosis. She didn't use a suppressive protocol but a standard antagonist protocol without the use of the pill in the first phase.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Harvard Vanguard.
Nurse stuff are doing most of the work. They were all good and efficient.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Harvard Vanguard is convenient because of its multiple locations in boston and cambridge. This is helpful for blood work and ultrasound. Harvard Vanguard is part of IVF new england. There are not a fertility clinic in their own right.
All costs were covered by the insurance.

2016, Unknown Success
[Harvard Vanguard - Ken] Not all testing is done at Kenmore I also had to drive to Quincy which was not easy during the workday. It was also very difficult to have any medical records forwarded to my new clinic. It took months of back and forth and I still didn’t get my complete record...I only had a few appointments with Dr. Lee but the nurses were always great and compassionate. Also easy to reach and leave messages for...It was very difficult for my new clinic to obtain my medical records.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
She was nice and easy to speak with. She explained the IVF process easily so I understood. After a lot of initial testing I was told I had nothing wrong and to start clomid. I felt like she wanted to put me on medication just to start the process for my insurance company and then move forward to IVF. I didn’t get a great feeling about this since I was in pain monthly on my left side. I also mentioned this to Dr. Lee and was assured it was probably ovulation pain. After my first few appointments I decided to get a second opinion.
She seemed easy to talk to and didn’t speak over our heads with medical jargon I wouldn’t understand.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
It was very difficult for my new clinic to obtain my medical records.

2012, Unsuccessful
Dr. Lee's bedside manner was cold and lacking any humor or warmth. She was very methodical and scientific, and when I tried to lighten the conversation, she was bewildered by my humor... Perhaps it was selective listening on my part, but I heard hope the first time and clarity of no hope the second time. it was heartwrenching and she stared at me blankly.
They [the staff at Harvard Vanguard] remembered me, they were hopeful, they celebrated successful births. [Dr Lee was] cold, formal, qualitative. Unable to connect to emotions. Methodical and scientific.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Cold, formal, qualitative. Unable to connect to emotions. Methodical and scientific.
If you want cold facts, she's great. As the same question in different ways to make sure you get a clear answer. Don't use humor.
Dr. Lee's bedside manner was cold and lacking any humor or warmth. She was very methodical and scientific, and when I tried to lighten the conversation, she was bewildered by my humor. In addition, when I first met with her, she clearly did not indicate "there's no hope for you" with her stats, and a year later when IUI was unsuccessful, her assessment was much clearer but she said "it's no different than what I said a year ago." Perhaps it was selective listening on my part, but I heard hope the first time and clarity of no hope the second time. it was heartwrenching and she stared at me blankly.
I only used IUI because my other option was donor egg, nothing in between.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Harvard Vanguard.
They remembered me, they were hopeful, they celebrated successful births.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
Already explained in a prior question, but the way my situation was assessed and explained 1 year apart were completely different. Although Dr. Lee said the situation was exactly the same, the second time there was a cold finality to her assessment.
Wellesley

Dr Lee is VERY smart. She is kind and compassionate, but she is not super warm and fuzzy. I like her and trust that she knows what she is doing. She changed up all my plans for my second round and though it is not finish yet, I am already having better results than my first round....Dr Lee took time to call after a failed cycle, met with me to discusss plans for a second cycle, and made me feel like she did care.
They are a part of Boston IVF. All procedures are done in the waltham office. I didn’t realize this at first but it was totally fine, easy to get to and a beautiful facility. Even though Boston IVF is so big, I didn’t feel like just a number....[Nursing Staff] They are great...Dr Lee took time to call after a failed cycle, met with me to discusss plans for a second cycle, and made me feel like she did care....Second round I am doing a lupron mocroflare protocol. First round I did traditional IVF.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Come prepared with questions.
They are great.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Insurance covered most of the costs once we hit our deductible
My insurance will only allow one egg to be put back, so Dr Lee didn’t have any feedback on this.