Southern California Reproductive Center

Medical SchoolSt. Louis U.
ResidencyUSC
Bakersfield
100 Old River Road
Bakersfield, CA 93311
661-349-4966
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Hal Danzer to a friend?
6.6

7.1

5.1

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Southern California Reproductive Center to a friend?
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Danzer was kind and personable, but I had very little interaction with him. I also feel that my protocol and care was standardized, not personalized... I was okay with a more straight-forward approach, the results were more important to me than bedside manner. However, I would have liked a bit more personal experience and reflection on our specific case...A couple of times, I had to request to meet with him personally, which was arranged.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Hal Danzer at Southern California Reproductive Center?
As I mentioned, Dr. Danzer was kind and personable, but I had very little interaction with him. I also feel that my protocol and care was standardized, not personalized. I did have great trust in Dr. Danzer, that he knew what he was doing (his history and notariety speak for themselves) and that he would obtain the best results he could for us. I was okay with a more straight-forward approach, the results were more important to me than bedside manner. However, I would have liked a bit more personal experience and reflection on our specific case.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hal Danzer at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Definitely advocate for yourself, especially with his support staff. And I would try to build as much of a relationship with Dr. Danzer as possible early on. Try to get in front of him, when you can. A couple of times, I had to request to meet with him personally, which was arranged. I think that is helpful. Also, find one friend within his team - that helped us immensely.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hal Danzer at Southern California Reproductive Center?
I admit, I did not expect to receive amazing personal care going in to SCRC. I had always been happy with my interactions with the doctors and liked the office when I visited, but I knew it was a popular/busy office and I had heard other feedback that it is a somewhat business-like environment. Dr. Danzer was kind and personable, but I had very little interaction with him. I also feel that my protocol and care was standardized, not personalized. I loved the phlebotomists and the ultrasound technicians! As for Dr. Danzer's nurses, I feel a bit conflicted. They were warm enough, but they made several errors I had to catch and it was somewhat difficult to get a hold of anyone in the office. I will say, I loved the office flexibility and efficiency. They had early morning appointments available, and I could get in and out without having to take time away from work. This was convenient and appreciated.
Describe the protocols Hal Danzer used in your cycles at Southern California Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Danzer used a standardized protocol - birth control pills, followed by an antagonist approach of Gonal F (primary) and Menopur (secondary), with Cetrotide and trigger at time of egg retrieval. We have not moved on to the transfer cycle with him yet, so not sure of his protocol there. I felt pretty fine on the medication. The staff met with me for instruction, and offered a helpful website with videos. Because of my age, he did hit me with higher dosages. I was unsure of this, at the time, but now feel that might have been the right way to go. I ended up having to be on the meds for two extra days, for response growth. I came in for ultrasounds and blood draws every other morning. My egg retrieval went smoothly, however I did end up having slight OHSS about one week later. It cleared up the following week. We were happy with our results at first, then a bit disappointed. Retrieved 20, but less than half fertilized. We did send most off for genetic screening, but the majority were abnormal. Dr. Danzer did offer good education on our results, which I appreciated.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Two primary nurses)
As I mentioned, I feel a bit conflicted about Dr. Danzer's nurses. They were warm enough, and I appreciated their timely email responses. But they made several MAJOR errors I had to catch, once with my calendar and another with calling in the correct dosage of meds to my pharmacy. I have heard many other women complain about this same issue. I'm not sure how there have not been more serious consequences for some of the mistakes. I will say, they were always present and available to speak with me at my appointment times. Initially, it was hard to get a hold of them when outside of the office. But then I built a good relationship with one of the nurses, and I think that made a difference.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Again, I did not expect to receive amazing personal care going in to SCRC, given it is a popular/busy office and I had heard other feedback that it is a somewhat business-like environment. I adored my friendly and competent phlebotomists, and the ultrasound technicians were also great! As mentioned, it is very hard to get a hold of anyone over the phone. I made all of my next appointments in person. And my favorite part was the office flexibility and efficiency. They had early morning appointments available, and I could get in and out without having to take time away from work. This was convenient and appreciated.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hal Danzer at Southern California Reproductive Center.
This was definitely not an inexpensive clinic, but I knew that going in. We were paying for the best. Both Dr. Danzer and the clinic/lab have stellar scores, no question. I was happy with the fact that the clinic did try to find us savings, where possible. I don't know that I would go so far as to say they worked with our budget, but they did try to get us some discounts.
Describe Hal Danzer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Southern California Reproductive Center.
We have not embarked on this part of the process just yet. I believe Dr. Danzer does recommend eSET, which I feel comfortable doing.
Beverly Hills

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Hal Danzer at Southern California Reproductive Center.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. Danzer] is very knowledgeable and changes course as needed based on your response to treatment. I trusted him and felt I was getting the treatment I was expecting. I felt like he knew my case and paid attention to me beyond just the standard protocol. He also was straight forward with me regarding my options and treatment plan. He consulted other doctors in the clinic as well to get their opinions on my treatment.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He is very knowledgeable and changes course as needed based on your response to treatment. I trusted him and felt I was getting the treatment I was expecting. I felt like he knew my case and paid attention to me beyond just the standard protocol. He also was straight forward with me regarding my options and treatment plan. He consulted other doctors in the clinic as well to get their opinions on my treatment.
Have trust in your doctor but be your own self advocate.
Sometimes had trouble reaching his nursing team but Dr. Danzer was always available when needed to discuss treatment plans, progress, results, next steps
For retrievals I did birth control followed by menopur and follistim and added ganirelix part way through. I used an hcg trigger my first retrieval and a lupron trigger for my second retrieval. I did a transfer with birth control, Medrol, estrace, pio injections, and progesterone suppositories. I did the same for the ERA. We changed the injection time for pio for the second transfer to be exact based on the ERA.
The nursing staff often made mistakes to my instructions and were hard to get in touch with. Some of the nurses were great and some were not. I had to be a squeaky wheel to get their attention.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Clinic is great and the surgery center is next to the clinic. Everyone was helpful and friendly. I loved the ultrasound techs and lab techs. So gentle and kind. They had early hours which were really helpful since I was working full time throughout treatment and this allowed me to attend work without interruptions for monitoring appointments.
My doctor preferred to transfer one embryo especially since they were pgd and pgs tested and we did not want to risk multiples so we selected a single embryo for each transfer.
Hal Danzer

Dr. Danzer was very warm and kind. What really stood out was his positive attitude. He kept saying things like “call me in two weeks with the positive pregnancy news!” “WHEN, not if you get pregnant.” I appreciated that. But I don’t feel he was aggressive enough or gave me enough options due to my age....There was a discrepancy with my vitamin D and I was told to take more. Then I was told by another doctor that I had a toxic level of vitamin D in my system.
Be an advocate for yourself- it’s hard to get through to the clinic and if you have questions it’s ok to push for answers. Also, allow a loooooong time in the waiting room!
The waiting room is like a cattle call. I was also left in a room for 45 minutes after my first IUI after I was told someone would come get me. I finally got up, got dressed and walked out only to find all the lights were out and the whole office was having a staff meeting! And left me in a room for nearly an hour. I was very upset.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Debby)
Hard to get ahold of.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Just felt like a cattle call there. Very impersonal and it was so hard to get questions answered in a timely manner. I’m also still getting bills two years later for things I thought were paid in full.
Extremely expensive.
Beverly Hills

Best reproductive doctor I found in Los Angeles, my only regret is not going to him first....Dr Danzer offers patient centered care that is unique to each couple. He gives accurate information, helping people make educated decisions in their treatment.
Research all your options - assisted reproductive technology is not a one size fits all treatment.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Modern, efficient, busy clinic, housing lab, surgery center, and doctor's offices in one location.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Southern California Reproductive Center.
Even though clinic is always busy, ultrasounds and labs go pretty quick.