Medical SchoolMed Col of Virgina
ResidencyCase Western
FellowshipNorthwestern
10150 Petunia Way
Sandy, UT 84092
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Harry Hatasaka to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Care Center to a friend?
1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
I've had both experiences where I've wished that Dr. Hataska's delivery of a message would have been gentler or kinder, as well as moments where has been incredibly sensitive and kind in delivering terrible news. His strength is that he's very analytical and has all the numbers with whatever we're talking. I appreciate having those numbers as it's given us starting point for expectation. He lives by the numbers and some that approach could seem sterile or without hope.
1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Harry Hatasaka at Reproductive Care Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Harry Hatasaka at Reproductive Care Center?
Losing weight will be one of the first things he will recommend. For some, knowing that he won't move forward with treatment until they've lost weight can be demoralizing for many women and he may not be a good fit for those who struggle with this.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Harry Hatasaka at Reproductive Care Center?
Infertility is a rode with ups and downs. Because it is a journey that goes up and down, it can feel like we're not being treated as human because we're scared, tried, stressed, or overwhelmed. No doctor is perfect 100% and able to predict exactly what we may need that day. For us, I have felt like has done his best to be compassionate in that journey and treat me like a human with feelings, questions, fears, joys, and concerns.
Describe the protocols Harry Hatasaka used in your cycles at Reproductive Care Center and their degree of success.
We have done two egg retrieval and 1fresh transfer that ended in a miscarriage. Our first egg retrieval he started low on medication as he wanted to keep me from hyper stimulating. We used a combination of cetrotide, Menopur, and Gonal F. Of the 10-12 eggs they were expecting based on mature follicles, we only ended up with 4 eggs retrieved. All 4 were fertilized. By day 3 we had 2. We transferred one at day three and froze the second good embryo on day 5. At our 7 week appointment the baby's heartbeat was slow. We were told that most likely we'd lose it. At our next appointment a week later, there was no longer a heartbeat. We were anxious to transfer our frozen embryo as soon as we'd had the three months to recover from the miscarriage. In our post-miscarriage consultation, Dr. Hatasaka knew that we wanted more than 1 child and encouraged us to think about doing a second egg retrieval before our FET just in case it was successful to hopefully have better egg quality than a year or two down the road which we decided to do. Due to the small numbers we had the first time, I requested that we go with a more aggressive approach in hopes of having more embryos to freeze. Our medication protocol was Gonal-F and the cetrotide. They got 12 eggs, 10 of which were fertilized. At day 7 we had 1 good, and 6 fair quality embryos. By day 5 we only had 2 fair quality embryos which we sent off for testing. One came back with trisomery 13, while the other had a partial mosaic on chromosome 1. While we are not planning on transferring the trisomery 13, we may transfer the second one at a later date. I did hyper stim with the second egg retrieval and are hoping to transfer our frozen embryo from the first cycle in April.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Care Center.
The nursing staff has been wonderful. They've answered all my questions, including finding the answers when they didn't know them.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Care Center.
Positives: I've never had to wait long for any appointments and they've been good about getting me appointments that work with my schedule. My one complaint would be with the billing department as I've felt they aren't on top of things as the rest of the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Harry Hatasaka at Reproductive Care Center.
IVF with 2 egg retrievals: $18,000; ICSI: $4,100; Hyper-stim insurance: $600
Describe Harry Hatasaka's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Care Center.
No. While he recommended only doing one, he would have transferred two if that had been our preference.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Care Center?
Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
He [Dr. Hatasaka] sat with us for over an hour and went through our entire chart and history and explained everything he wanted to look into and why. He took the time get to know our situation before making a plan of action...He has a very calm demeanor, is chatty, and likes to dive deep into the issue and explain everything as we go so we know what's happening. Goes through the pros and cons of procedures and makes sure we understand.
Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Harry Hatasaka at Reproductive Care Center?
He likes to start with a full spectrum of tests, be prepared for blood, semen, ultrasound, and have your full medical history of both partners, including family history. When doing the tests, you deal with nurses and staff, and have to schedule appointments and pay a copay just to have your blood drawn. You don't see the doctor at these appointments.
He sat with us for over an hour and went through our entire chart and history and explained everything he wanted to look into and why. He took the time get to know our situation before making a plan of action.
We are still working on regulating my cycles, and getting my thyroid and prolactin levels down, going in every 4 weeks to retest until my numbers are within normal, then we will be put on femara for a round of IUI.
Generally kind, not much else stands out.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Care Center.
Have only been here through one full cycle, so far everything had been pretty good, no real strengths or weaknesses come to mind. They give you a packet full of info about the clinic and doctors, with info about local supporters groups, when come in for your first appointment
Over $350 for my initial blood work and ultrasound, $300 for seven analysis, $25 copay at every appointment, even just getting a blood draw, they are going to try and bill insurance for everything, but we will most likely have to cover everything out of pockets.
Sandy
I thought he [Dr. Harry Hatasaka] was very knowledgeable about fertility and was able to explain things clearly, but only if I asked clarifying questions. I was disappointed that he wasn't at every appointment and procedure. He was very absent. He also repeated/rehearsed my file back to me each time he saw me as though he was trying to remind himself of who I was. This was frustrating to me because I didn't need a replay of the failures in the past.
How was your experience with Harry Hatasaka at Reproductive Care Center?
I thought he was very knowledgeable about fertility and was able to explain things clearly, but only if I asked clarifying questions. I was disappointed that he wasn't at every appointment and procedure. He was very absent. He also repeated/rehearsed my file back to me each time he saw me as though he was trying to remind himself of who I was. This was frustrating to me because I didn't need a replay of the failures in the past.
Ask for what you want because if you dont you probably wont get it.
I felt like he had seen so many patients like me and my case was no unique or special. He didn't make it a point to reach out to me after my miscarriage or my failed IUI to talk through what happened or what next steps would be.
I was asked to take femara for my cycles to boost my ovulation. I took it for one cycle and didn't get a positive ovulation indicator on my test. He didnt suggest a trigger shot because I had lab work that showed I ovulated in previous months. So I took femara for another cycle and did the ovulation test at a different time during the day and got a positive. I had an IUI procedure done with my husbands fresh sperm. This resulted in a pregnancy which I miscarried at 6 weeks. The following month I took femara again, with another positive ovulation test and had another IUI procedure done. This one didnt result in a pregnancy. I decided not to pursue treatments after this.
They did a great job explaining when and if I should use the trigger shot. They also were available to me when I had questions. If they didnt know the answer they were honest and called me back later with the answer. Some nurses did this better than others.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Care Center.
I absolutely hated that the nurses call with the results of blood work. This should be the doctors responsibility and duty. I also did not like that a nurse did my IUIs. Again, that should be the doctors job. I felt very much like just another number there and no one treated me as an individual.
We had all of our testing done with my obgyn so my insurance would cover it. We had our semen analysis done through a study so we didnt have to pay for it. We only paid RCC for the IUI and ultrasounds. I think the total for each cycle was $500-600. And we did two cycles.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Care Center?
2010 - 2012
He [Dr. Harry Hatasaka] was really nice and communicated great answering questions and explaining treatment. In retrospect I don't feel that he anticipated problems I would have in my cycle that were easily correctable in subsequent cycles. The stim protocol he had me on was not ideal for my body and that contributed to the yield of live pregnancies I got per embryos produced (1/6). I was The one who had to be proactive about what protocol to change during frozen cycles to figure out how to get a pregnancy to stick.
2010 - 2012
How was your experience with Harry Hatasaka at Reproductive Care Center?
He was really nice and communicated great answering questions and explaining treatment. In retrospect I don't feel that he anticipated problems I would have in my cycle that were easily correctable in subsequent cycles. The stim protocol he had me on was not ideal for my body and that contributed to the yield of live pregnancies I got per embryos produced (1/6). I was The one who had to be proactive about what protocol to change during frozen cycles to figure out how to get a pregnancy to stick.
Be persistent and do lots of research.
I always communicated with the same nurse and doctor for results and questions. They were really responsive.
I don't remember protocol but I used a hcg triggereven though I was at high risk for hyperstimulation which would have warranted a lupron trigger. I was also never put on cabergaline after retrieval to prevent hyperstim as well. I ended up hyperstimulating and having to freeze all embryos unexpectedly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Care Center. (Assigned nurse: Crystal)
Really kind and aware and thorough
Describe your experience with Reproductive Care Center.
Everything is in one spot which is convenient and nice but also limits the ability to be flexible in timing. You have to fit your cycle into the doctors schedule which can be tricky and restrictive. The facility is nice and the staff is welcoming and and thorough with billing.
I had insurance that covered it completely so didn't have to deal a lot with finances.
Sandy
Dr. Hatasaka is the best. I waited a year before deciding on a doctor because I was so scared of getting a bad doctor. I'm very grateful for the recommendation I received to call him....After we did a lot of tests, he knew I had PCOS and started me on letrozole. I still didn't ovulate so he gave me a trigger shot after checking everything with a vaginal ultrasound. Next month, he added dexamethasone and doubled the letrozole. I finally ovulated. Tried this 3 more times and am revising our plan tomorrow.
How was your experience with Harry Hatasaka at Reproductive Care Center?
Be prepared. Eat healthy, exercise, and do what you can before going in, so you can jump in with both feet with what he can offer. Otherwise, you'll end up doing that anyway and paying for the advice.
Explained every detail and listened to all of my worries. Spent time with us without being in a hurry to get to the next patient.
Always call back. Even on Saturdays. Very understanding and kind.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Care Center.
Clean, professional, and understanding.
My insurance covers nothing. They only charge me my copay anyway. I am astounded so far with their understanding.