OU Physicians Reproductive Health

Nurse available by emailNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolVanderbilt
ResidencyU. of Oklahoma
FellowshipUSC
840 Research Parkway
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
405-271-1616
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Heather Burks to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend OU Physicians Reproductive Health to a friend?
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Great physician. I need someone to tell me exact what they think and not sugar coat anything. If we need to do something different tell me and don’t waste my time. Dr. Burks did a great job with telling me exactly what I needed and listening to my concerns and planning a course of action.... We started with monitored Medicated IUI’s.... now we are having to move onto IVF. We had to move onto this after discovering that my husband has double Varicoceles...
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Burks at OU Physicians Reproductive Health?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Burks at OU Physicians Reproductive Health?
Make sure you Ask questions if you don’t understand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Burks at OU Physicians Reproductive Health?
Very helpful and anwsered all questions. Never made me feel like I was stupid for not understanding. Felt as though she was just as disappointed as we were each month of no success, but continued to stay positive and keep trying.
Describe the protocols Heather Burks used in your cycles at OU Physicians Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
We started with monitored Medicated IUI’s. I had been to a previous Physican where we did medicated cycles with clomid and Femara for over a year with out monitoring. I originally saw a different doctor at OU and was transferred to Dr. Butks after he left the practice. She continued with the same protocol for a year and now we are having to move onto IVF. We had to move onto this after discovering that my husband has double Varicoceles and IVF is the best plan after this diagnosis. So in process of saving for this now. On hold until we can save money to go forward.
Wonderful and extremely knowledgeable. Many of the nursing staff were fabulous able to answer my questions and ready to explain why and how for everything. It was really nice to know you had someone in your corner.
Describe your experience with OU Physicians Reproductive Health.
You have to be an advocate for yourself during this time but OU makes everything so much easier. The clinic is working for you and someone is always there to help. There is a lot of time that goes into infertility treatments and people need to know that this may take longer than you anticipated but they are working to help you achieve your goal. Don’t lose hope because they will help you every step of the way.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Burks at OU Physicians Reproductive Health.
I have really good insurance that covers all ultrasound and Bloodwork for every appointment. So most appointments were just our co-pay. I had a HSG Test that was also covered by our insurance. My fertility meds Femara was covered, however our HCG trigger shot and the cost of IUI’s were not covered. Each IUI cycle was $350 and the trigger shot was $100. We are currently saving for IVF which the actual cost is unknown since we haven’t started the treatment. Costs vary greatly from person to person but we have one time IVF benefits with our insurance so it will be much less out of pocket for us than normal.
Oklahoma City
We first went through two monitored and medicated IUIs with Dr. Burks before we moved on to IVF at our direction. Dr. Burks had several conversations with us about ICSI, PGS, and transfer options--she was great at educating us and giving us pros and cons while leaving the final decisions to us.... Dr. Burks was our second reproductive endocrinologist and we saw her at a point when we were feeling very discouraged and weary of the process. She was helpful in every way we asked her to be, while also allowing for us to be decision-makers in my care and our process. When we moved to IVF after 4 failed IUIs and the process became more difficult, we felt more confident than ever that we had chosen the perfect doctor for us.
Investment Banker
Be prepared that the process will likely be harder and longer than you expect, but know that Dr. Burks and her team are in your corner the whole way.
Dr. BUrks goes out of her way to follow up personally and spent the time to answer each of our many questions. She was kind, warm, and compassionate throughout the process.
The nursing staff is exceptional--not a bad one in the bunch and it seemed like they all went out if their way to know us personally, comfort us in the failures, and celebrate with us in the successes.
Describe your experience with OU Physicians Reproductive Health.
OURM is obviously a huge clinic serving many patients, but we never felt like a number. From insurance coverage to scheduling to recovery, everything was exceptional.
We had insurance coverage so merely needed to meet our deductible, but we did have several conversations about costs for the various procedures and I do know they offered a cash price for self-pay patients. However, when I was a monitor-only patient during my time with a long-distance clinic, I did pay a significant fee for my monitoring appointments that went away when I became a patient.
Oklahoma City
Dr. Burks told us that we needed to start this journey by me losing 15% of my BMI. Once I had lost that weight she moved us onto using letrozole during cycle day 3-7 followed by a trigger shot. She told us that this would be the method most likely to help with my anovulation. She told us that she has had better luck with letrozole working with her patients who have PCOS. It did work the first round but unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage.
Dr. Burks has been a very good doctor during this journey. She has answered all of our questions fully and made sure we understood all the risks and success rates with our treatment route. When I conceived off of the first round of meds she made sure I was seen in a timely manner. Even though that pregnancy ended in a loss she has been very compassionate and has talked us through how to proceed on. She has never been pushy in what type of treatment we should pursue.
Do not hesitate to ask questions. She sometimes forgets to tell you all of the details but she will answer any and all questions you have.
Dr. Burks talks with her patients and makes sure that they understand everything that is going on. She does a great job of spending plenty of time with each of her patients and will return phone calls either the same day or the next day.
Dr. Burks nursing staff were awesome. They celebrated with us during every milestone that we accomplished and also showed us tons of compassion when we encountered set backs.
Describe your experience with OU Physicians Reproductive Health.
OU Reproductive Center is very welcoming and the front staff is super friendly. Be prepared for limited parking or having to walk a little distance and sometimes the wait time for your appointment can be a little longer than desired. I think the longest I had to wait was about 30 minutes. Overall it is a great clinic to use.
$1500 - $2000
Other, Unexplained
Dr. Burks has an excellent bedside manner and rapport with my husband and me. She explains things thoroughly and checks in with us to make sure we understand...Once our IUIs were over and we began talking about IVF, she encouraged us to remove the cyst because it had grown and its character had changed over several months. Dr. Burks removed the cyst, which turned out to be a benign dermoid cyst...She did an excellent job on the surgery and I am very confident in moving forward to IVF with her...
Other, Unexplained
At first, we saw the nurse practitioner for 4 IUIs. When those all failed, Dr. Burks became our primary care RE. She had previously done a couple of our ultrasounds for IUI (because the nurse practitioner was on maternity leave), and she was watching a cyst that was growing on my left ovary. Once our IUIs were over and we began talking about IVF, she encouraged us to remove the cyst because it had grown and its character had changed over several months. Dr. Burks removed the cyst, which turned out to be a benign dermoid cyst (containing hair and teeth). She did an excellent job on the surgery and I am very confident in moving forward to IVF with her.
I was terrified of having the laparoscopy, but that anticipation was the worst part. Dr. Burks is very capable and will call you personally to follow up and keep you informed of all of your lab results.
We will be starting IVF with Dr. Burks after my ovary has headed (about 8 weeks).
I have met several nurses at this clinic and they are all excellent. They are friendly, take the time to put us at ease, and always return my calls as soon as possible.
Describe your experience with OU Physicians Reproductive Health.
This clinic is very well-run. Everyone from the receptionist, to billing, to the nurses, to the doctors is kind and communicates well. The costs of treatments have been reasonable; while our insurance does not cover fertility treatments, they have covered some of the medications, and the prices for IUI are lower than what I have heard from other clinics. The doctors here work as a team and will provide the information you need but then let you make your own choices.
We have paid about $550 per IUI cycle, including the Clomid, Pregnyl shot, lab costs, and the procedure itself.
Oklahoma City
She [Dr. Burks] took my concerns to heart and listened and gave advice when needed!...Didn’t see her as often as the nurses. But I felt that she took my concerns seriously and we both cane up with a tentative plan! When I didn’t feel like one of the tests were for me, she didn’t force it and just told me that we would exhaust all other options first...The only treatment option we reviewed and had done was Femara. I had tried clomid before and it didn’t work.
Ask any and all questions! She is there to meet you and make you feel informed
She took my concerns to heart and listened and gave advice when needed!
The nursing staff was absolutely great! I was the one person who always made giving blood difficult! They never got irritated or angry like most places would. They treated me with kindness and respect.
Describe your experience with OU Physicians Reproductive Health.
It might take a bit to get an initial appointment. I think mine was scheduled 3months out. They are pretty prompt on visits and very thorough. Sometimes when scheduling an appointment they will work with you.
I had to pay out of pocket for most of everything. They offered self pay discounts to help offset the costs.