Medical SchoolUSC
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Bluffton
7 Mallett Way
Bluffton, SC 29910
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Heather Cook to a friend?

6.5

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Fertility Specialists to a friend?
After years of "unexplained infertility" it was a breath of fresh air to have a diagnosis within ten minutes of speaking to her, which she then confirmed via ultrasound. ... I was diagnosed with Stage IV endometriosis, and as a result, Dr. Cook offered to skip IUI altogether and go straight to IVF. ... Be direct about your wants/desires, she will listen. ... she started me on CoQ10 to improve egg quality and we saw improvement between my initial ultrasound and my second ultrasound in the number of follicles available.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
We loved our experience with Dr. Cook and are so thankful she helped us conceive our miracle. After years of "unexplained infertility" it was a breath of fresh air to have a diagnosis within ten minutes of speaking to her, which she then confirmed via ultrasound.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Be direct about your wants/desires, she will listen.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook always spoke to us in a way that was easy to understand, and she always laid out all of our options in a nice, but direct way.
Describe the protocols Heather Cook used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with Stage IV endometriosis, and as a result, Dr. Cook offered to skip IUI altogether and go straight to IVF. We weren't financially in a place to try IVF right off the bat, so we opted for two IUI cycles. After the first failed, she adjusted my meds to try and get even more eggs to mature, although it ended up being unsuccessful. We only had to go through one IVF cycle with her, and she was very direct about doing a frozen only cycle, as she believes it's better to allow your body some time to rest after being on all of the hormones for the retrieval. We opted against genetic testing, and transferred one day 5 embryo that was a 5-AA rating. Also, at the beginning of my initial treatment with her, she started me on CoQ10 to improve egg quality and we saw improvement between my initial ultrasound and my second ultrasound in the number of follicles available.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
Becky was always very responsive and caring.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The medical staff is outstanding, but like most offices the administrative staff has their weaknesses. We had a few billing hiccups that were frustrating, but eventually got taken care of. I believe the quality of embryologists makes a big difference in outcomes, and I believe the embryologists at Coastal are second to none. All of the nursing staff, ultrasound techs, etc. make a point to get to know you and make you feel at home.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
IVF cost between 15,000 and 20,000; IUI was between 3000-5000
Describe Heather Cook's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Due to my age, she felt confident we would have good quality embryos and, therefore, only needed to transfer one at a time. Furthermore, she believed it would be difficult for me to carry multiples and did not want to run the risk of transferring more than one embryo and one of the embryos splitting.
Mount Pleasant

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

I feel as if she [Dr. Cook] hasn't taken individual circumstances into consideration. I feel like she's not attempting to dig deeper into why I'm not conceiving. I don't feel like she really cares if I get pregnant and maintain pregnancy. I've brought up health concerns she doesn't feel the need to address. I feel more as if I'm just a way to get more money, via IVF. She hasn't been all bad though, she is nice enough and returns calls when asked.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I feel as if she hasn't taken individual circumstances into consideration. I feel like she's not attempting to dig deeper into why I'm not conceiving. I don't feel like she really cares if I get pregnant and maintain pregnancy. I've brought up health concerns she doesn't feel the need to address. I feel more as if I'm just a way to get more money, via IVF. She hasn't been all bad though, she is nice enough and returns calls when asked. But I just don't feel as if she is "in my corner" on my conceiving and maintaining a pregnancy to a live birth.
Give her a try but if you're not 100% comfortable then find someone who will be a good fit for you
I feel she has not individualized my care. I feel she has not tried to be very aggressive with getting me pregnant. As if she feels I'm hopeless due to my age and weight and has not dug deeper into why it might not be working.
Letrozole cycle and a gonal-f cycle to encourage follicle growth. Trigger shot (Ovidrel) to induce ovulation prior to IUI. Both were unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky Welch)
My primary nurse was not always good about returning emails or phone calls. She started out great but soon after I constantly had to call again or email again to get answers. She was always nice when I did talk to her, though. Nurses and ultrasound tech at the monitoring office I went to (Columbia office) were excellent. Also, when I had to speak to another nurse when my primary nurse was away, they were always great as well.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic itself is clean, efficiently ran from what I can tell, and has good success rates. I've had good experiences overall. The only weaknesses I've experienced are the ones already described. Communication with patient concerns could use improvement. The billing needs to be linked between the different offices better. Had a small issue with billing, but did get it resolved with a phone call. However, I caution new patients to pay attention to your bill, and make sure you aren't getting charged for tests or procedures you didn't actually have.
It's expensive, but probably only slightly more than average. IUI itself was $650, but that doesn't include meds, ultrasounds, labs, or donor sperm. It was slightly less expensive at another clinic.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
She [Dr. Cook] is the most patient, empathetic doctor I’ve been to. Makes all the difference when you’re going through something as difficult as infertility/recurrent pregnancy loss.... She’s empathetic, extremely intelligent, confident, and gentle. I couldn’t ask for a better RE. I have experienced 6 losses, have had 4 surgeries and 3 D&C’s, and have gone through infertility for 3 years.... Blood work to rule out other causes of miscarriage. Saline infusion sonogram and HSG- was diagnosed with one blocked tube. Hysteroscopy- diagnosed with Asherman’s syndrome post-uterine septum removal. IUI- failed.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She’s empathetic, extremely intelligent, confident, and gentle. I couldn’t ask for a better RE. I have experienced 6 losses, have had 4 surgeries and 3 D&C’s, and have gone through infertility for 3 years. My previous RE was less than ideal. I have no doubt in my mind that she will give us our baby. Zero.
Ask as many questions as you want to. She will listen and answer for as long as it takes for you to leave feeling knowledgeable and comfortable.
She is the most patient, empathetic doctor I’ve been to. Makes all the difference when you’re going through something as difficult as infertility/recurrent pregnancy loss. Her confidence gives ME confidence that it will happen for us.
Blood work to rule out other causes of miscarriage. Saline infusion sonogram and HSG- was diagnosed with one blocked tube. Hysteroscopy- diagnosed with Asherman’s syndrome post-uterine septum removal. IUI- failed. Another hysteroscopy to check for scarring- no scarring but she removed a little more septum. Am currently in the process of taking stim meds for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub Hutto)
Cherub Hutto is very knowledgeable and helpful. Easily reachable. She can be a little dry at times.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic itself is set up like a day spa. The staff is extremely nice and accommodating. The whole experience is wonderful. The Charleston office is bigger than the Lexington office. I prefer the Lexington office.
It’s a little pricey. For our one FET cycle, it’s almost 15 thousand dollars. This does not include medications, ERA biopsy, or PGS testing.
Dr Cook strongly believes in only transferring one embryo unless she and medical history dictate it to be completely necessary to transfer two.
Mount Pleasant

She [Dr. Heather Cook] took time to talk to me, got me the tests I needed quickly, and called me herself when we got a positive pregnancy test with a high HCG...She told me the tests they do for RPL, we did those as quick as we could, and got the results back with really no explanation as to why I had the two miscarriages. I had read about low progesterone could cause it which was something we weren't really able to test, and asked it I could take that while trying. She allowed me to, and wanted me to start at ovulation. I did this and was pregnant the second month with the baby I'm carrying now. We are halfway through! I would say her just ruling out what could be wrong was great for my confidence. She was very knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I thought she was very competent and compassionate. She told me the tests they do for RPL, we did those as quick as we could, and got the results back with really no explanation as to why I had the two miscarriages. I had read about low progesterone could cause it which was something we weren't really able to test, and asked it I could take that while trying. She allowed me to, and wanted me to start at ovulation. I did this and was pregnant the second month with the baby I'm carrying now. We are halfway through! I would say her just ruling out what could be wrong was great for my confidence. She was very knowledgeable.
Continue to be your own advocate and read, ask questions, but know she is on your side!
She took time to talk to me, got me the tests I needed quickly, and called me herself when we got a positive pregnancy test with a high HCG. I felt like they really wanted me to succeed and knew how much it meant to me/my husband.
All I ended up being on was progesterone suppositories at ovulation through the first trimester. I was discharged after my baby was 8 weeks. She ran the whole RPL panel on me, and nothing came out that would be causing my RPL. That is why I asked to use progesterone. I also was told I could take a daily baby aspirin. I was lucky enough not to have to do any further in depth treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky Welch )
She was great, answered my questions, and didn't make me feel crazy for asking a lot of questions.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Just like with any doctor/physician be your own advocate still - but they were knowledgeable, compassionate, and I felt that they really wanted to see us succeed. We didn't have any reasons for our losses, and progesterone suppositories seemed to do the trick for us, so we didn't have to undergo extensive treatments here. But we were happy with our experience.
My insurance covered a good bit of the tests we had run, so we just had to pay my co-pays, and then % after that until we reached deductible. I didn't think the costs were astronomical.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Cook explained each procedure in detail, gave handouts, and even drew the process when the explanation became overwhelming. She always allowed plenty of time for to discuss any concerns and she encouraged questions. Sometimes when meeting her, the session could feel rushed. Patients can combat that by being as prepared as possible. I wish I had the opportunity to see her face-to-face more often, I am a patient at one of their satellite offices.
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She is very kind and warm. Don't be afraid to ask questions, she encourages them and is very detailed in her responses.
Dr. Cook and her staff were attentive and walked us through the process throughly. Infertility is such an emotional process, there were some times I felt like a number instead of a human. That could have been due to all of the hormones, lack of patience, or the unknown. The wait times were often aggravating--that's when it felt like you were a number and not a human.
Three IUI attempts with varying medication protocols before moving to IVF. First IUI was just oral medication, with the second and third IUI requiring oral and injectable medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
I dealt with the nursing staff the most. Some days they were really busy and rushed, other days they were attentive with sometime showing favorites with patients. Heather was very knowledgeable but at times was very flat in her compassion. Emotions run high through this process so it's important to have self-awareness.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
If there is one thing I could change about Coast Fertility, the billing department would it. Honestly, it's awful--in all of their offices. The Charleston office told me I had a $600 credit then sent me a bill for $800. The Columbia office billing specialist was just charging me random amounts, when confronted she said she didn't know how much to charge me. Bills would come often with varying costs. I always paid same day of service so I'm not sure why the charges were so different/high. They always had excuses on why billing was never accurate. Was also told that they wouldn't discuss a loan option with me since insurance paid for some parts of treatment which is an unfair decision since they didn't know what insurance would pay and my financial situation. Honestly, the billing department would be the main reason I would not go to Coastal. It's too stressful in an already stressful enough situation.
Billing was never accurate or straightforward. I would say IUI without medication was around $1700.
Dr. Cooks approach is multiple embryo transfer (FET)
Myrtle Beach

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
She made me feel important when other doctors didn’t and she went out of her way to find a plan that worksh best for me. She was very understanding when I needed emotional support. She has always been with me from the beginning...She was very down to earth and made me feel like it was important for me to be a mom ...Dr. Cook started me off with a unmedicated iui and when that didn’t worked we started on the clomid for iui
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
That she is a very good doctor and if she needs help trying to figure out the correct plan for you to be on she will ask one of the other doctors.
She was very down to earth and made me feel like it was important for me to be a mom and she would do everything she could to make me a mom
Dr. Cook started me off with a unmedicated iui and when that didn’t worked we started on the clomid for iui and once that failed we started on clomid and ovidrel. We was able to conceive our daughter through this and now for baby number two we did 6 medicated iui and they all failed now we are moving on to ivf
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan Missildine )
She went out of her way to answer all my questions and give me the emotional, physical support that I needed
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They are very caring and treat you with respect. When you walk into their facility it is almost like walking into a spa just very relaxing and peaceful. They also have good financial resources and will help you out in anyway to become a parent
Each iui was 525 not counting donor sperm or the ultrasounds and blood work needed. Ivf is 6100 up front
Mount Pleasant

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Cook was a very good communicator She explained all risks associated with every step of the process. She explained what the numbers meant and what we were shooting for. She remained very positive through the process even when I had had huge doubts. She personally called me several time throughout the process to see how I was doing...Ask all of the questions you can possibly think of, she takes her time answering each one.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
The office staff and Dr Cook were very compassionate and caring at every visit. They knew mine and my husbands names every time we went. They asked about our lives outside for feritlity and remembered everything we said.
We used gonal -f, ganarelix, human growth hormone, HCG. We ended up with 14 eggs retrieved 7 of which made it to day 5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather Clayton)
Heather is one of the most compassionate people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She constantly checked up on me, didn't get annoyed at my 500 emails daily and my constant phone calls.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Everything runs like a well oiled machine. I cannot speak highly enough of Dawn Sadorf the financial coordinator. We were never hit with unexpected costs that she had not discussed with us. They were very upfront about the financial aspect as well as the emotional toll that this would take.
total cost for our two cycles was around $14,000
Our Dr only does one embryo on the first transfer due to the risk of a multiples pregnancy. Our first transfer ended in miscarriage so we were given the opportunity to transfer two embryos the second time so we did.
Lexington

Dr. Cook was the first fertility specialist I saw. She explained everything and was very eager to help us. We left her and went to another doctor for a second opinion. A year later I went back to Dr. Cook because I wanted to try IUI. She explained to me why IUI would not be a good option for me. She explained IVF in a very great detail. We are saving our money now for IVF and I plan to go back to Dr. Cook when I'm ready.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She's very nice. She will not make you feel like your stupid.
Dr Cook is wonderful! She is fun and very nice. She treated me like a person. She answered my questions. She explained my treatment very well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Becky)
Nurse Becky is amazing!!! Very caring. She shows compassion. I remember during my first appointment I was so sad and couldn't stop crying. She gave me a hug and said everything is going to be ok. She always return my call the same day or next day.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is great! The front desk staff are friendly. All the nurses were nice. My nurse Becky is the absolute best. The only thing I hated was some time there was a wait. Dr. Cook is super nice and explains everything.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Cook was extremely helpful in explaining the IUI procedure and why she thought that was the best route to go. She had a very positive attitude and made us feel like she really cared. I would recommend her to friends. Coastal is a very busy clinic, because they are so successful.... Coastal is a very busy clinic, just felt I got lost in the shuffle.... Coastal was very upfront and informative about the cost of everything. They make it very easy to understand.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Be patient
Coastal is a very busy clinic, just felt I got lost in the shuffle.
Mount Pleasant

I really liked Dr. Cook. She was caring and compassionate, and patient when answering my many questions. I did not have any successful cycles, but I don't think that had anything to do with her. I will probably go back to her once my finances bounce back a little bit.... Coastal fertility clinic has a very organized, professional, and compassionate team, from doctors and nurses to the administration staff. They remembered our names and treated us like old friends every time we came in.
European, Latino
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Know what you want going in.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal fertility clinic has a very organized, professional, and compassionate team, from doctors and nurses to the administration staff. They remembered our names and treated us like old friends every time we came in. It helped to make the disappointment in needing to be there a more comfortable experience.
Lexington