Medical SchoolUSC
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Bluffton
7 Mallett Way
Bluffton, SC 29910
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Heather Cook to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Fertility Specialists to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
She [Dr. Cook] is the most patient, empathetic doctor I’ve been to. Makes all the difference when you’re going through something as difficult as infertility/recurrent pregnancy loss.... She’s empathetic, extremely intelligent, confident, and gentle. I couldn’t ask for a better RE. I have experienced 6 losses, have had 4 surgeries and 3 D&C’s, and have gone through infertility for 3 years.... Blood work to rule out other causes of miscarriage. Saline infusion sonogram and HSG- was diagnosed with one blocked tube. Hysteroscopy- diagnosed with Asherman’s syndrome post-uterine septum removal. IUI- failed.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She’s empathetic, extremely intelligent, confident, and gentle. I couldn’t ask for a better RE. I have experienced 6 losses, have had 4 surgeries and 3 D&C’s, and have gone through infertility for 3 years. My previous RE was less than ideal. I have no doubt in my mind that she will give us our baby. Zero.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Ask as many questions as you want to. She will listen and answer for as long as it takes for you to leave feeling knowledgeable and comfortable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She is the most patient, empathetic doctor I’ve been to. Makes all the difference when you’re going through something as difficult as infertility/recurrent pregnancy loss. Her confidence gives ME confidence that it will happen for us.
Describe the protocols Heather Cook used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
Blood work to rule out other causes of miscarriage. Saline infusion sonogram and HSG- was diagnosed with one blocked tube. Hysteroscopy- diagnosed with Asherman’s syndrome post-uterine septum removal. IUI- failed. Another hysteroscopy to check for scarring- no scarring but she removed a little more septum. Am currently in the process of taking stim meds for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub Hutto)
Cherub Hutto is very knowledgeable and helpful. Easily reachable. She can be a little dry at times.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic itself is set up like a day spa. The staff is extremely nice and accommodating. The whole experience is wonderful. The Charleston office is bigger than the Lexington office. I prefer the Lexington office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
It’s a little pricey. For our one FET cycle, it’s almost 15 thousand dollars. This does not include medications, ERA biopsy, or PGS testing.
Describe Heather Cook's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Dr Cook strongly believes in only transferring one embryo unless she and medical history dictate it to be completely necessary to transfer two.
Mount Pleasant
She [Dr. Heather Cook] took time to talk to me, got me the tests I needed quickly, and called me herself when we got a positive pregnancy test with a high HCG...She told me the tests they do for RPL, we did those as quick as we could, and got the results back with really no explanation as to why I had the two miscarriages. I had read about low progesterone could cause it which was something we weren't really able to test, and asked it I could take that while trying. She allowed me to, and wanted me to start at ovulation. I did this and was pregnant the second month with the baby I'm carrying now. We are halfway through! I would say her just ruling out what could be wrong was great for my confidence. She was very knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I thought she was very competent and compassionate. She told me the tests they do for RPL, we did those as quick as we could, and got the results back with really no explanation as to why I had the two miscarriages. I had read about low progesterone could cause it which was something we weren't really able to test, and asked it I could take that while trying. She allowed me to, and wanted me to start at ovulation. I did this and was pregnant the second month with the baby I'm carrying now. We are halfway through! I would say her just ruling out what could be wrong was great for my confidence. She was very knowledgeable.
Continue to be your own advocate and read, ask questions, but know she is on your side!
She took time to talk to me, got me the tests I needed quickly, and called me herself when we got a positive pregnancy test with a high HCG. I felt like they really wanted me to succeed and knew how much it meant to me/my husband.
All I ended up being on was progesterone suppositories at ovulation through the first trimester. I was discharged after my baby was 8 weeks. She ran the whole RPL panel on me, and nothing came out that would be causing my RPL. That is why I asked to use progesterone. I also was told I could take a daily baby aspirin. I was lucky enough not to have to do any further in depth treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky Welch )
She was great, answered my questions, and didn't make me feel crazy for asking a lot of questions.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Just like with any doctor/physician be your own advocate still - but they were knowledgeable, compassionate, and I felt that they really wanted to see us succeed. We didn't have any reasons for our losses, and progesterone suppositories seemed to do the trick for us, so we didn't have to undergo extensive treatments here. But we were happy with our experience.
My insurance covered a good bit of the tests we had run, so we just had to pay my co-pays, and then % after that until we reached deductible. I didn't think the costs were astronomical.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Cook explained each procedure in detail, gave handouts, and even drew the process when the explanation became overwhelming. She always allowed plenty of time for to discuss any concerns and she encouraged questions. Sometimes when meeting her, the session could feel rushed. Patients can combat that by being as prepared as possible. I wish I had the opportunity to see her face-to-face more often, I am a patient at one of their satellite offices.
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She is very kind and warm. Don't be afraid to ask questions, she encourages them and is very detailed in her responses.
Dr. Cook and her staff were attentive and walked us through the process throughly. Infertility is such an emotional process, there were some times I felt like a number instead of a human. That could have been due to all of the hormones, lack of patience, or the unknown. The wait times were often aggravating--that's when it felt like you were a number and not a human.
Three IUI attempts with varying medication protocols before moving to IVF. First IUI was just oral medication, with the second and third IUI requiring oral and injectable medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
I dealt with the nursing staff the most. Some days they were really busy and rushed, other days they were attentive with sometime showing favorites with patients. Heather was very knowledgeable but at times was very flat in her compassion. Emotions run high through this process so it's important to have self-awareness.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
If there is one thing I could change about Coast Fertility, the billing department would it. Honestly, it's awful--in all of their offices. The Charleston office told me I had a $600 credit then sent me a bill for $800. The Columbia office billing specialist was just charging me random amounts, when confronted she said she didn't know how much to charge me. Bills would come often with varying costs. I always paid same day of service so I'm not sure why the charges were so different/high. They always had excuses on why billing was never accurate. Was also told that they wouldn't discuss a loan option with me since insurance paid for some parts of treatment which is an unfair decision since they didn't know what insurance would pay and my financial situation. Honestly, the billing department would be the main reason I would not go to Coastal. It's too stressful in an already stressful enough situation.
Billing was never accurate or straightforward. I would say IUI without medication was around $1700.
Dr. Cooks approach is multiple embryo transfer (FET)
Myrtle Beach
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
She made me feel important when other doctors didn’t and she went out of her way to find a plan that worksh best for me. She was very understanding when I needed emotional support. She has always been with me from the beginning...She was very down to earth and made me feel like it was important for me to be a mom ...Dr. Cook started me off with a unmedicated iui and when that didn’t worked we started on the clomid for iui
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
That she is a very good doctor and if she needs help trying to figure out the correct plan for you to be on she will ask one of the other doctors.
She was very down to earth and made me feel like it was important for me to be a mom and she would do everything she could to make me a mom
Dr. Cook started me off with a unmedicated iui and when that didn’t worked we started on the clomid for iui and once that failed we started on clomid and ovidrel. We was able to conceive our daughter through this and now for baby number two we did 6 medicated iui and they all failed now we are moving on to ivf
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan Missildine )
She went out of her way to answer all my questions and give me the emotional, physical support that I needed
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They are very caring and treat you with respect. When you walk into their facility it is almost like walking into a spa just very relaxing and peaceful. They also have good financial resources and will help you out in anyway to become a parent
Each iui was 525 not counting donor sperm or the ultrasounds and blood work needed. Ivf is 6100 up front
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Cook was extremely helpful in explaining the IUI procedure and why she thought that was the best route to go. She had a very positive attitude and made us feel like she really cared. I would recommend her to friends. Coastal is a very busy clinic, because they are so successful.... Coastal is a very busy clinic, just felt I got lost in the shuffle.... Coastal was very upfront and informative about the cost of everything. They make it very easy to understand.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Be patient
Coastal is a very busy clinic, just felt I got lost in the shuffle.