Medical SchoolHarvard
ResidencyHarvard
FellowshipHarvard
499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Heather Huddleston to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UCSF to a friend?
I read in a previous review to bring detailed questions when meeting with Dr. Huddleston, and so I always do this. She is happy to take the time to answer all of my questions, and makes sure I understand her answers. She gives me advice when I ask and also empowers me to make decisions about the process when possible. She's warm and personable and also logical and down to earth. I'd also like to call out that I have a disability and I have been happy with the accommodations Dr. Huddleston has provided me with.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
It is hard to reach her between appointments, and in my experience the RNs don't always pass on messages so keep a list of questions to ask her when you have her in the room.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is great - a perfect balance of empathetic and logical. She's very down to earth and takes the time to answer my questions in detail. I feel like she treats me like a human. The front desk staff are also great. My interactions with the other staff at the clinic (coordinator and RN) so far have not been great - I often feel like a number when interacting with them.
Describe the protocols Heather Huddleston used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I have DOR and do not have a partner with sperm so am using donor sperm. I am early in the process still - just started my first cycle. As part of the process pre-cycle I had labs done and a saline sonogram and attended UCSF's IVF orientation and injection class. I am on estrogen patches and will be doing ganirelix acetate, gonal-F, and menopur injections with an HCG trigger shot. They will be doing ICSI, and PGS testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittney and Anne)
My original primary nurse Brittney is not there right now, so I didn't have one for a while and then I was assigned to Anne. She is difficult to reach via email and phone, but when I do get ahold of her she answers my questions and is supportive. My coordinator Janlyn initially was not very responsive but recently has been better. She is easy to reach but it often takes her a while to get answers to my questions if she needs to talk to other team mates. I think they both try hard and probably just have too much to do.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The IVF orientation is very thorough and the lab has an excellent reputation. I did not get information from the financial navigators until I had called and emailed several times, and I wasn't told that I could have an in person consultation with them until after the fact. They do not have payment plans at all - they do bucket the costs though, so if a cycle is cancelled you may get some of your money back. If you don't have fertility coverage through your insurance they will not run tests and labs for you just to check - you have to choose ahead of time to either pay the self pay rate or have them submit it to insurance and then pay the insurance fee if it isn't covered. Parking is really expensive and the clinic is right next to several major construction projects. It is two blocks from a MUNI light rail station though. The people who draw blood at the clinic are excellent.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
One cycle including retrieval, ICSI, and FET is going to be about $15,000 not counting medication costs.
Describe Heather Huddleston's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
I feel educated on the options, and have not had to make this choice yet.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Huddleston is fabulous — I loved her bedside manner, her ability to make recommendations, and her willingness to customize treatment. She was willing to fit me in early mornings for extra tests like saline sonograms and laparoscopies just to make sure that we could hit our goal transfer dates.... I think she's lovely. I don't love that I didn't get to work with her more directly, but UCSF is a group practice and we knew that going in.
European, Latino
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is fabulous — I loved her bedside manner, her ability to make recommendations, and her willingness to customize treatment. She was willing to fit me in early mornings for extra tests like saline sonograms and laparoscopies just to make sure that we could hit our goal transfer dates. However, we are yet to be successful, so I don't know how much any of that matters. Also, the lead-in times for treatments felt extremely long (6-8 weeks for a transfer); I'm not certain if that was just Huddleston or a UCSF rule. But it did make everything feel like it took forever.
This is a hard one. I think she's lovely. I don't love that I didn't get to work with her more directly, but UCSF is a group practice and we knew that going in.
Dr. Huddleston is incredibly kind and bright. After meeting with countless doctors she felt like a breath of fresh air. Throughout our treatments she listened to our concerns and tried to customize protocols to fit within our desired timelines or requirements.
During retrieval, I was on Gonal-F and Menapur. There were some specific drugs that I trigged with, but I don't recall those. During the transfer, there was a month of birth control followed by several weeks of Estridol patches with Letrazol and then progesterone in oil shots (IM) for 5 days leading into the transfer. PIO was continued until the Beta HCG blood test. I didn't seem to have any negative side effects or reactions to the medications. During retrieval I had 20 mature eggs, so stims seemed to work well. I didn't love taking so many drugs for so long during the transfers, but I didn't necessarily have adverse effects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittney)
Brittney was the nurse coordinator and she has been amazing. She recently left on leave, and so far I don't have a single point of contact but the team is good at getting back to me quickly. The remaining nurses and staff are kind, funny, nice and thorough.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: top-notch, everything is brand new and the technology is superb. We always felt like we were getting the highest level of care. Weaknesses: it's group care, which can feel like you don't have one person to be your "point person." Also, getting new appointments can take forever, and the protocols for treatments are extremely long (6-8 weeks for a transfer and just 8+ weeks for a retrieval).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
Retrieval = Approx $16K Meds = $200 (UCSF has a grant with the government for self-pay people) Transfers = $5k each
Dr. Huddletson always went with the default of 1 embryo based on my age. But when we pressed her to consider two, she had no issue with letting us choose. We ultimately decided on one, but the decision was ours to make.
San Francisco
As a doctor, I really liked her [Dr. Heather Huddleston] candor and willingness to treat our case specifically to our diagnosis. We didn't have many eggs or embryos to work with, but she never made us feel like it was an uphill battle to conceive and bring home a healthy child. 2 previous REs were much more negative about our situation. I think it took someone like Dr. Huddleston, with a ton of experience, who was willing to tailor our protocol exactly to our situation.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
As a doctor, I really liked her candor and willingness to treat our case specifically to our diagnosis. We didn't have many eggs or embryos to work with, but she never made us feel like it was an uphill battle to conceive and bring home a healthy child. 2 previous REs were much more negative about our situation. I think it took someone like Dr. Huddleston, with a ton of experience, who was willing to tailor our protocol exactly to our situation.
Just be prepared that you may not see her beyond the first consult, but she is in charge of your protocol and monitoring your cycle, and her nurses are exceptional.
UCSF is a very large clinic, so often "your doctor" isn't the doctor you get to see regularly for monitoring, retrievals, or transfers. I got lucky with my first cycle in that Dr. Huddleston was on call for monitoring, but she didn't do my retrieval or either of my transfers. During our consults though, she was very up front and pragmatic about our odds of success, and treated my case with a protocol very specific to my diagnosis, which neither of my previous doctors did. She was the only doctor who ran a morphology-specific test on my husband, which uncovered that this may have been a bigger issue than we thought.
She used a "low and slow" approach to my DOR diagnosis. I can't remember the exact dosage of FSH/Menopur, but the goal was not to overstimulate my ovaries to the point of getting a lead follicle, which I think is often the case with doctors who deal inappropriately with DOR diagnoses. We also did estrogen-priming and ICSI.
At UCSF you are assigned a specific nurse to work with during your cycle, which I really appreciate. I actually never met either of mine in person, but they were really wonderful in communicating via email and phone when I needed them to. They are extremely organized.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: really amazing, experienced doctors. I have seen 3 between my initial consult, retrievals and transfers. Excellent nursing and coordinating staff. The new facility is very nice, though a bit cold (it just felt less intimate that their previous location). As far as treatment, they are top notch. Not a "one size fits" all type of clinic. They really look at your case individually. Weaknesses: The financial coordinating team wasn't super responsive the second time around. If you are paying OOP, it can be tricky to navigate cost and how to use your insurance coverage in the best way.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
We used a package through ARC for our fresh cycle. It was around $12,000 for a fresh and frozen transfer (the frozen being a backup that we didn't need). 3 years later (this year) we paid $4,000 for an FET cycle.
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Investor
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston was extremely knowledgeable and professional. She listened closely and gave us a pragmatic course of action, which we appreciated very much. I would note that I felt she changed her assessment of our chances (and her assessment of the quality of our results) regularly. For example, she’d say on one call that the results were entirely in line with expectations - and then on the next call that she was disappointed with the results. None of this changed the quality of care or outcomes, but it left us feeling a little confused about how to interpret the experience.
Make a complete list of questions to ask her - she’ll make the time with you during your visit, but hard to get her after that. Really try to push her for specifics around timing, probabilities, etc.
She took the time to get to know me and really paid attention to our experience.
Fantastic, responsive nursing staff. Excellent.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Beautiful and brand-new clinic. Excellent nursing staff, great attention to me as a patient. Every experience at UCSF felt both cutting-edge and caring. Saw range of doctors during my care, which I had initially been concerned about, but all seemed fully-informed and compassionate. Overall an excellent experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
Insurance paid for first round. Second round will be out of pocket and roughly $13K before medicine
Froze embryo - did not transfer
San Francisco
The Drs seem pretty busy but our initial sit down meeting went well and she [Dr. Heather Huddleston] gave me a clear path...For each IUI procedure, I had a different doctor/nurse which was as expected...She spoke from the heart and gave experiences of her own. She asked the right questions...I was pregnant on my very first IUI so when I went back to UCSF to try for #2, I met with Dr. Huddleston. She had more availability than Dr. Rosen at the time. She recommended 3 IUI cycles since she felt I could get pregnant but rather it was a timing issue of the egg meeting the sperm. After 3 cycles (waiting on results on the 3rd now), I am going to meet with Dr. Huddleston again to determine the next course of action. I scheduled my meeting with the Dr. when I started the 3rd IUI cycle so I can see her asap.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
The Drs seem pretty busy but our initial sit down meeting went well and she gave me a clear path. After 3 IUI attempts, we should sit down and discuss alternatives. The difficulties would be scheduling an appointment with her for the follow up. For each IUI procedure, I had a different doctor/nurse which was as expected. Some are more articulate than others. The nurse practitioner that did each ultrasound exam was pleasant and showed compassion.
Be proactive in making your appointments and following up.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Good facilities but very busy. Not very personal. It seems like they have very experienced doctors but you don't actually see your own doctor much or talk to them. Most nurses are friendly and so far billing has been okay.
2006 - 2010
She is smart, sensitive, and knowledgable -- when we asked a question about genetic testing of embryos pre-transfer, she explained in clear, not-dumbed down language why this was not a great choice for us.
2006 - 2010
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
If you don't get pregnant it's not your fault!
I transferred my fertility care to Dr. Huddleston after a bad experience with another San Francisco doctor (she was incredibly un-caring when I had a miscarriage). Dr. Huddleston talked to my partner and I like intelligent humans; she was sympathetic to our loss, clear about our needs, and sensitive to our questions about how to minimize the risk of future miscarriages. When I did miscarry under her care, she was very, very sympathetic - polar opposite of the treatment I received at CPMC.
1 cycle of Femara (miscarriage of identical twins) with IUI, two cycles of Clomid (negative pregnancy test) with IUI, a few other cycles of unmedicated IUIs. Had an HSG and a saline sonogram along the way. (We were using donor sperm so the IUI was a given.) After 18 cycles, 2 years, and two miscarriages, we went to IVF without ICSI. Got pregnant with twins after transferring 2 embryos in my first and only IVF procedure; one stopped developing at 11 weeks. Carried the other to term. I was 36 at the time. I also did a lot of acupuncture but this was not Huddleston-directed.
Sorry, can't remember much other than they were nice.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Busy and successful clinic.
I had amazing insurance.
San Francisco
Dr. Huddleston really sat with me and wanted to hear the full context of my story: why I was there, what motivated me, and my concerns. She was frank about the possible risks but told me she felt like this was a good choice for me, and gave me specific reasons why. I felt very comfortable with and heard by her....I would have liked more follow-through and explanation of every step and what to expect, though.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
I love how compassionate, clear, and real Dr. Huddleston is. I trust her great track record, especially with some of my close friends. I would have liked more follow-through and explanation of every step and what to expect, though.
Know that you may not have total clarity at every step about what comes next, but trust that Dr. Huddleston has good instincts and experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittney Bates)
Brittney helped me with all of my concerns from the logistical to the emotional to the explanatory. She was compassionate, well organized, and timely in her responses.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
You'll get great care, but you often see and hear from different people every time. However, they are very timely in their appointments and everyone you meet there is positive and kind. I did sometimes feel rushed and like things were not fully explained, but when I pushed for clarity it was always offered gladly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
I haven't paid yet in full, but it was estimated about 15K.
2013
Infertility is daunting and can leave you questioning everything...Dr. Huddleston was a great. She has a direct and no-nonsense personality...
2013
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston was a great. She has a direct and no-nonsense personality, but her confidence in my treatment made me feel positive about the possible outcomes. When dealing with infertility, how you feel about your treatment and the confidence in the treatment is important. Infertility is daunting and can leave you questioning everything -- a positive attitude is important and finding a doctor that can help foster that is critical. Thanks to Dr. Huddleston I was able to get pregnant!
In my experience, she wasn't the type of doctor who would give out the "warm and fuzzy" vibe. Don't let that deter you from her seeking her as a doctor.
The entire care team at UCSF was great. In addition to the care from Dr. Huddleston, patients are assigned a nurse who are there for you at all times. Any question I had, I simply called my nurse -- any question she wasn't able to answer, she would consult with Dr. Huddleston. I truly felt like I had a solid care team behind me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Susan Craigg)
Susan Craigg was just very attentive and sensitive to my needs. She understood the stress that comes with fertility treatment so she was very patient with anyswering my questions and providing insight to any concerns I had.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She explains everything in detail (even drawing us pictures of basic anatomy!). Her style is not overly aggressive but seems rational. Her bedside manner is excellent... She ran tests early that seemed appropriate for our situation and really informed the process, but avoided other tests that didn't seem necessary for us.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr Huddleston is wonderful. We had a fantastic experience with her. She explains everything in detail (even drawing us pictures of basic anatomy!). Her style is not overly aggressive but seems rational. Her bedside manner is excellent - warm and caring while still being professional. I have nothing but good things to say about her.
Everyone certainly seemed to care about the outcome. Response time on questions was fast and I always felt like the team was taking my situation into account. She ran tests early that seemed appropriate for our situation and really informed the process, but avoided other tests that didn't seem necessary for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Susan Kregg)
She always responded to our questions quickly. She was always available by phone. She was very patient.
2012 - 2013
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Huddleston] was the right doctor for me. Direct, smart, caring, ready to take the next steps. She spends time with you, explains as much as you need and feels like she's doing everything she can to get you results. [UCSF] is an IVF clinic, they are going to want to do IVF. If you don't want that, you're going to need to talk about going slowly, trying other things first.
2012 - 2013
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
She was the right doctor for me. Direct, smart, caring, ready to take the next steps. She spends time with you, explains as much as you need and feels like she's doing everything she can to get you results.
It's an IVF clinic, they are going to want to do IVF. If you don't want that, you're going to need to talk about going slowly, trying other things first.
I felt like my care mattered, that she was paying attention to my case and coming into my appointments having reviewed my charts.
They were available on the phone, called back and were sweet.