Medical SchoolHarvard
ResidencyHarvard
FellowshipHarvard
499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Heather Huddleston to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UCSF to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Huddleston is extremely sympathetic and kind. ... But she is quite conservative in her treatment protocols. ... My greatest critique of Dr. Huddleston however, was her insistence that we did not need to test my husbands sperm before Femara cycles with timed intercourse ,because I had had 2 pregnancies (and miscarriages). As it turns out, his sperm motility and count were quite low, but we didn't find this out until much later, wasting a ton of time.
a few tests that were supposed to be ordered were left off of the lab request. And in one case the wrong test was ordered ... Overall the clinic [UCSF] seems to have decent, if conservative, doctors. ... The administration and nursing staff were chaotic. ... I would double check everything you are told, or you may end up wasting a lot of time. I only had medicated cycles with this clinic. When it came time to move on to IVF, I went elsewhere. There are just too many moving parts with IVF to risk administrative errors.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is extremely sympathetic and kind. She is also knowledgeable in the field of recurrent pregnancy loss. But she is quite conservative in her treatment protocols. For example, while other doctors might try metformin, a blood thinner or immune treatment speculatively, Dr. Huddleston strictly follows the research literature. This could be a good or a bad thing depending on your outlook. She was willing to try metformin for my mild case of PCOS, after I delivered her a bunch of my own research. My greatest critique of Dr. Huddleston however, was her insistence that we did not need to test my husbands sperm before Femara cycles with timed intercourse ,because I had had 2 pregnancies (and miscarriages). As it turns out, his sperm motility and count were quite low, but we didn't find this out until much later, wasting a ton of time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
She is not likely to think very far outside of the box. So do your own research and advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is very nice and has a good bedside manner. However, her nursing and administration team was a nightmare. It was difficult to get in touch with anyone. At one point they ordered the wrong tests for blood work, and left out other tests. If I wasn't constantly double checking their work major things would have been missed.
Describe the protocols Heather Huddleston used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We did 2 cycles of Femara with timed intercourse. The second cycle we also had ultrasound monitoring, at my request. Dr. Huddleston believed that I could get pregnant on my own and that my 2 miscarriages were likely "bad luck." So, we just tried Femara to get a "stronger ovulation" which would hopefully trigger a more robust hormonal response. Neither cycle resulted in a pregnancy.
The administration and nursing staff were chaotic. They are juggling a lot of patients, and things often seemed to fall through the cracks. I had to follow up with them constantly to clarify instructions. Once they ordered the wrongs tests, and I had to get blood drawn multiple times. If I hadn't been double checking things they never would have caught this on their own
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Overall the clinic seems to have decent, if conservative, doctors. But the administration needs a lot of improvement. I would double check everything you are told, or you may end up wasting a lot of time. I only had medicated cycles with this clinic. When it came time to move on to IVF, I went elsewhere. There are just too many moving parts with IVF to risk administrative errors.
+ Read more- Read less

My husband was concerned about me becoming the new Octomom and our doctor [Dr. Huddleston] reassured us that she would only be transferring one embryo because multiple embryos means more chance for complications...was very kind and understanding . She answered all of my husband and my questions with great care...was very intelligent and broke down the whole process of IVF even drew pictures so we completely understood what was going on she was very empathetic to our situation and also offered to enroll us into a case study if we wanted to because it could possibly be a little less expensive route . She was very patient and gave detailed explanations to us and asked if we had questions along the way.
Parking was a little expensive [at UCSF]...it is a beautiful facility very clean and warming...you are instantly greeted when you walk in . We didn’t have to wait to be seen we were seen exactly on time!!...Our care coordinator was awesome explained everything answered all my what if questions and worked with our schedule ...My husband was concerned about me becoming the new Octomom and our doctor [Dr. Huddleston] reassured us that she would only be transferring one embryo because multiple embryos means more chance for complications
Latino, Native American
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr.Huddleston was very intelligent and broke down the whole process of IVF even drew pictures so we completely understood what was going on she was very empathetic to our situation and also offered to enroll us into a case study if we wanted to because it could possibly be a little less expensive route . She was very patient and gave detailed explanations to us and asked if we had questions along the way.
To be open and honest with her and due to her willingness to explain come in with a list of questions prepared.
Heather was very kind and understanding . She answered all of my husband and my questions with great care.
I am currently undergoing treatment with Dr.Huddleston. She did explain in our first appointment why we needed to do the sonogram because my husband and I were hesitant due to us not having coverage for it and did not want to pay for something that was unnecessary at the time but she explained the reasoning why we needed it which was Because she needed to get an initial look at the female reproductive System as well as a current egg count to know an approximation of how many eggs could be produced in retrieval and to see if there were any anatomical abnormalities.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Janlyn kong)
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Parking was a little expensive and there is construction around the area currently so it was a little difficult getting there but the contractors were very nice and gave directions but other than that it is a beautiful facility very clean and warming the security helped us find what floor to get to and you are instantly greeted when you walk in . We didn’t have to wait to be seen we were seen exactly on time!!
So far nothing yet but looking over the bill it’s going to be +$10,000
Describe Heather Huddleston's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
My husband was concerned about me becoming the new Octomom and our doctor reassured us that she would only be transferring one embryo because multiple embryos means more chance for complications and she wants us to have a healthy pregnancy so she transfers only one embryo at a time. Unless your over 40 and your egg quality is lower she only does o e embryo.

1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Generally when I saw Dr. Huddleston I was treated very well. However, I often saw other doctors or residents and sometimes they were not aware of my specific situation until I brought them up to speed. ... Almost all of my interactions with Dr. Huddleston were excellent. She is a good listener, is calm and explained things in great detail when I asked. ... she presented pros and cons of both and I elected to transfer one embryo
UCSF CRH is a big clinic. People won't remember you from visit to visit and you are essentially moved through the process without many personal touches. ... The financial coordinators are very difficult to reach, and I was not told that I could have an in person meeting with them until after I'd already started treatment. ... My first nurse was Anne who I had several negative experiences with. My second nurse (I asked to be switched) was Olga and she was great and a very good communicator.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Almost all of my interactions with Dr. Huddleston were excellent. She is a good listener, is calm and explained things in great detail when I asked. She was also fairly responsive when I asked my nurse or coordinator to ask her questions between visits. She was also willing to work with me to accommodate my disability.
Go with a list of questions prepared ahead of time. Advocate for yourself - you are your own best advocate and you have the most invested in your treatment.
Generally when I saw Dr. Huddleston I was treated very well. However, I often saw other doctors or residents and sometimes they were not aware of my specific situation until I brought them up to speed. That made me feel more like a number. Also my interactions with the front desk staff and clerical staff and some of the nurses and coordinators made it obvious that I was more of a number to them.
Dr. Huddleston treated my DOR and recommended ICSI since I was using donor sperm (not related to infertility but because I do not have a partner with sperm). We also did PGS testing on the embryos that were created.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Janlyn, Anne, Olga)
My coordinator was Janlyn. She got more responsive as my treatment progressed. My first nurse was Anne who I had several negative experiences with. My second nurse (I asked to be switched) was Olga and she was great and a very good communicator. I should note that Dr. Huddleston's main nurse (I think her name is Brittany) was out while I was in treatment.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I was paying out of pocket and I looked at UCSF's statistics and prices and compared to other local clinics they are impressive. The clinic is also near my office and I was able to get early morning and lunchtime visits for monitoring. UCSF CRH is a big clinic. People won't remember you from visit to visit and you are essentially moved through the process without many personal touches. I was able to participate in a few interesting research studies (two of which that saved me a bit of money). The financial coordinators are very difficult to reach, and I was not told that I could have an in person meeting with them until after I'd already started treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
I paid about $25,000 for one retrieval and one transfer. I had two PGS normal embryos, transferred one, it split, and am pregnant with twins.
I did not get the sense that Dr. Huddleston had a strong preference. She presented pros and cons of both and I elected to transfer one embryo (that split into twins). She supported me in transferring one.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF.

1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
He l[Doctor Sauer] leaved the clinic [UCSF] in the middle of the process but we continue with doctor Heather Huddleston and she was very professional too, the change was not an issue for us. ... Please bring her all questions and discuss possible scenarios with her. She is very professional, once she did her assessment her team will handle your case, trust them, they are awesome!
Appointments were ON TIME in ALL cases. Nurses, admin and rest of professional were very professional and yet nice. Facilities are top-notch. The only cons is financial services, I know it is the same in all clinics...in my case I am still following up charges more than one year later, it is impossible to contact financial coordinators, etc... There were several nurses during the whole process, one for diagnosis, another for treatment, another at the end...quite confusing but all of them answered or refer to proper contact.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Doctor Sauer was very professional, understood our situation and explained our options dedicating necessary time. There was not much detail of the process, nurses were later very explicative about that. He leaved the clinic in the middle of the process but we continue with doctor Heather Huddleston and she was very professional too, the change was not an issue for us.
During my whole journey in UCSF we felt very comfortable knowing 1) experts were handling our case 2) procedures and protocols were very clear 3) Drs were taking into account our specific case. Although I never met the same person twice (except for the nurse coordinator) everyone was very polite, understanding and explain in detail every step.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittney Bates)
The nurse staff was very professional, they explained all details and answered all my questions. It was easy to find them and they responded by email or phone within hours. There were several nurses during the whole process, one for diagnosis, another for treatment, another at the end...quite confusing but all of them answered or refer to proper contact.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic is amazing! Appointments were ON TIME in ALL cases. Nurses, admin and rest of professional were very professional and yet nice. Facilities are top-notch. The only cons is financial services, I know it is the same in all clinics...in my case I am still following up charges more than one year later, it is impossible to contact financial coordinators, etc...
Around 30k USD
Doctors preferred and suggested elective single embryo transfer.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Huddleston is fabulous — I loved her bedside manner, her ability to make recommendations, and her willingness to customize treatment. She was willing to fit me in early mornings for extra tests like saline sonograms and laparoscopies just to make sure that we could hit our goal transfer dates.... I think she's lovely. I don't love that I didn't get to work with her more directly, but UCSF is a group practice and we knew that going in.
Billing [UCSF] is a nightmare... We'd often get emails at 7 pm the night before a procedure that had our bill (typically for thousands of dollars) and the bill would be due early the next morning or else they would discontinue the cycle.... Strengths: top-notch, everything is brand new and the technology is superb. We always felt like we were getting the highest level of care. Weaknesses: it's group care, which can feel like you don't have one person to be your "point person."
European, Latino
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is fabulous — I loved her bedside manner, her ability to make recommendations, and her willingness to customize treatment. She was willing to fit me in early mornings for extra tests like saline sonograms and laparoscopies just to make sure that we could hit our goal transfer dates. However, we are yet to be successful, so I don't know how much any of that matters. Also, the lead-in times for treatments felt extremely long (6-8 weeks for a transfer); I'm not certain if that was just Huddleston or a UCSF rule. But it did make everything feel like it took forever.
This is a hard one. I think she's lovely. I don't love that I didn't get to work with her more directly, but UCSF is a group practice and we knew that going in.
Dr. Huddleston is incredibly kind and bright. After meeting with countless doctors she felt like a breath of fresh air. Throughout our treatments she listened to our concerns and tried to customize protocols to fit within our desired timelines or requirements.
During retrieval, I was on Gonal-F and Menapur. There were some specific drugs that I trigged with, but I don't recall those. During the transfer, there was a month of birth control followed by several weeks of Estridol patches with Letrazol and then progesterone in oil shots (IM) for 5 days leading into the transfer. PIO was continued until the Beta HCG blood test. I didn't seem to have any negative side effects or reactions to the medications. During retrieval I had 20 mature eggs, so stims seemed to work well. I didn't love taking so many drugs for so long during the transfers, but I didn't necessarily have adverse effects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittney)
Brittney was the nurse coordinator and she has been amazing. She recently left on leave, and so far I don't have a single point of contact but the team is good at getting back to me quickly. The remaining nurses and staff are kind, funny, nice and thorough.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: top-notch, everything is brand new and the technology is superb. We always felt like we were getting the highest level of care. Weaknesses: it's group care, which can feel like you don't have one person to be your "point person." Also, getting new appointments can take forever, and the protocols for treatments are extremely long (6-8 weeks for a transfer and just 8+ weeks for a retrieval).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
Retrieval = Approx $16K Meds = $200 (UCSF has a grant with the government for self-pay people) Transfers = $5k each
Dr. Huddletson always went with the default of 1 embryo based on my age. But when we pressed her to consider two, she had no issue with letting us choose. We ultimately decided on one, but the decision was ours to make.
+ Read more- Read less

As a doctor, I really liked her [Dr. Heather Huddleston] candor and willingness to treat our case specifically to our diagnosis. We didn't have many eggs or embryos to work with, but she never made us feel like it was an uphill battle to conceive and bring home a healthy child. 2 previous REs were much more negative about our situation. I think it took someone like Dr. Huddleston, with a ton of experience, who was willing to tailor our protocol exactly to our situation.
Strengths [for UCSF]: really amazing, experienced doctors. I have seen 3 between my initial consult, retrievals and transfers. Excellent nursing and coordinating staff. The new facility is very nice, though a bit cold (it just felt less intimate that their previous location). As far as treatment, they are top notch. Not a "one size fits" all type of clinic. They really look at your case individually. Weaknesses: The financial coordinating team wasn't super responsive the second time around. If you are paying OOP, it can be tricky to navigate cost and how to use your insurance coverage in the best way.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
As a doctor, I really liked her candor and willingness to treat our case specifically to our diagnosis. We didn't have many eggs or embryos to work with, but she never made us feel like it was an uphill battle to conceive and bring home a healthy child. 2 previous REs were much more negative about our situation. I think it took someone like Dr. Huddleston, with a ton of experience, who was willing to tailor our protocol exactly to our situation.
Just be prepared that you may not see her beyond the first consult, but she is in charge of your protocol and monitoring your cycle, and her nurses are exceptional.
UCSF is a very large clinic, so often "your doctor" isn't the doctor you get to see regularly for monitoring, retrievals, or transfers. I got lucky with my first cycle in that Dr. Huddleston was on call for monitoring, but she didn't do my retrieval or either of my transfers. During our consults though, she was very up front and pragmatic about our odds of success, and treated my case with a protocol very specific to my diagnosis, which neither of my previous doctors did. She was the only doctor who ran a morphology-specific test on my husband, which uncovered that this may have been a bigger issue than we thought.
She used a "low and slow" approach to my DOR diagnosis. I can't remember the exact dosage of FSH/Menopur, but the goal was not to overstimulate my ovaries to the point of getting a lead follicle, which I think is often the case with doctors who deal inappropriately with DOR diagnoses. We also did estrogen-priming and ICSI.
At UCSF you are assigned a specific nurse to work with during your cycle, which I really appreciate. I actually never met either of mine in person, but they were really wonderful in communicating via email and phone when I needed them to. They are extremely organized.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: really amazing, experienced doctors. I have seen 3 between my initial consult, retrievals and transfers. Excellent nursing and coordinating staff. The new facility is very nice, though a bit cold (it just felt less intimate that their previous location). As far as treatment, they are top notch. Not a "one size fits" all type of clinic. They really look at your case individually. Weaknesses: The financial coordinating team wasn't super responsive the second time around. If you are paying OOP, it can be tricky to navigate cost and how to use your insurance coverage in the best way.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
We used a package through ARC for our fresh cycle. It was around $12,000 for a fresh and frozen transfer (the frozen being a backup that we didn't need). 3 years later (this year) we paid $4,000 for an FET cycle.
+ Read more- Read less

The clinic is very clean, quiet and comfortable. They do a nice job of creating a calm and quiet space. The people at reception are nice. You see different doctors and nurses because it’s a teaching hospital, but I knew this going in and was fine with it. My doctor was still the person who determined my protocols and treatment. ... I don’t remember the name of the care coordinator we were assigned, but she was great. Immediately after our consultation she took us to another room and started to book blood work and organize paperwork. My nurse was Rachel - I don’t know if she is still with the clinic - but I thought she was fantastic. She easy to reach, always responsive, had a great demeanor and was really helpful with getting my medications and going over my treatment protocols.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
I saw Dr. Huddleston twice - once at my initial consultation and again for my first pregnancy ultrasound after one round of IVF and a successful FET. I also had one phone appointment with her following my egg retrieval. I found her to be personable and thought she did a great job explaining all the procedures, her reasoning behind protocol decisions, and answering our Qi questions. She doesn’t sugar coat things, but I liked this because I wanted direct answers and for my expectations to be reasonably set. She did not perform my retrieval or my FET, but I knew going in that UCSF’s model would mean that I would likely see other doctors throughout my treatment. We were incredibly fortunate that we didn’t encounter many setbacks and had a successful transfer after one IVF cycle so the level of interaction and communication I had with Dr. Huddleston was completely satisfactory. And I trusted her treatment protocol.
No matter who your doctor is, be a self-advocate. Never be afraid to ask questions and push for answers if you’re not getting them. Dr. Huddleston was great with us, and if you like a straight shooter, you’ll probably like her.
I felt the clinic did a very good job of organizing my care. After our initial consultation with Dr. Huddleston, who was kind and sympathetic but also direct and help set realistic expectations, we were assigned a care coordinator who explained and facilitated the next steps/tests that we needed to take before we could start treatment. We were also assigned a nurse who was very kind, communicative and responsive. UCSF is a teaching hospital and even though you see different doctors and residents throughout your treatment, everyone we encountered was kind and positive.
I don’t remember exactly what our protocol was, but my diagnosis prior to seeing Dr. Huddleston was anovulation. I did I believe 10-11 days of stims followed by a trigger shot and we retrieved 19 eggs of which 14 were mature and 11 fertilized using ICSI. By day 3 we still had 11 embryos so we opted to continue to grow those embryos to see how many blastocysts we could get in order to do PGS testing. By day 6 we had 3 remaining embryos which we biopsies and then froze. Of the 3, 2 were PGS normal. About 2 months later I started the FET process, beginning with birth control pills then followed by Lupron shots, estrogen patches and progesterone in oil shots. Dr. Rosen at UCSF performed by single FET and that resulted in pregnancy and the live birth of our son. We have one PGS normal embryo left that we hope to transfer in the next year.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
We purchased a two cycle package through ARC fertility that was also part of their success program. The two cycle package included two retrievals and four fresh/frozen transfers. One cycle was considered one retrieval and 2 transfers; you couldn’t move on to the next cycle until you used up all the embryos you had from the first (meaning, no embryo banking before doing a transfer). If the first cycle results in a live birth, you get a partial refund (this was the success program piece). I don’t remember the exact costs, but I think the package was about $29K and since we did have a life birth after the first cycle, we were refunded about $11K. I should note that the $29K included ICSI, which was an add-on. Medications were not included, but since we didn’t have any insurance to cover IVF we qualified for a government discount program and our medications only totaled about $700.
Going into treatment, we knew we wanted to only transfer one embryo and Dr. Huddleston supported this decision. She said that at my age, if we had a PGS tested normal embryo her recommendation would be to transfer one. If we didn’t have enough embryos to test, then she would recommend transferring two.

Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Beautiful and brand-new clinic. Excellent nursing staff, great attention to me as a patient. Every experience at UCSF felt both cutting-edge and caring. Saw range of doctors during my care, which I had initially been concerned about, but all seemed fully-informed and compassionate. Overall an excellent experience.... Fantastic, responsive nursing staff. Excellent.... Second round will be out of pocket and roughly $13K before medicine
Investor
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston was extremely knowledgeable and professional. She listened closely and gave us a pragmatic course of action, which we appreciated very much. I would note that I felt she changed her assessment of our chances (and her assessment of the quality of our results) regularly. For example, she’d say on one call that the results were entirely in line with expectations - and then on the next call that she was disappointed with the results. None of this changed the quality of care or outcomes, but it left us feeling a little confused about how to interpret the experience.
Make a complete list of questions to ask her - she’ll make the time with you during your visit, but hard to get her after that. Really try to push her for specifics around timing, probabilities, etc.
She took the time to get to know me and really paid attention to our experience.
Fantastic, responsive nursing staff. Excellent.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
Insurance paid for first round. Second round will be out of pocket and roughly $13K before medicine
Froze embryo - did not transfer
+ Read more- Read less

The Drs seem pretty busy but our initial sit down meeting went well and she [Dr. Heather Huddleston] gave me a clear path...For each IUI procedure, I had a different doctor/nurse which was as expected...She spoke from the heart and gave experiences of her own. She asked the right questions...I was pregnant on my very first IUI so when I went back to UCSF to try for #2, I met with Dr. Huddleston. She had more availability than Dr. Rosen at the time. She recommended 3 IUI cycles since she felt I could get pregnant but rather it was a timing issue of the egg meeting the sperm. After 3 cycles (waiting on results on the 3rd now), I am going to meet with Dr. Huddleston again to determine the next course of action. I scheduled my meeting with the Dr. when I started the 3rd IUI cycle so I can see her asap.
Good facilities [at UCSF] but very busy. Not very personal. It seems like they have very experienced doctors but you don't actually see your own doctor much or talk to them. Most nurses are friendly and so far billing has been okay... For each IUI procedure, I had a different doctor/nurse which was as expected. Some are more articulate than others. The nurse practitioner that did each ultrasound exam was pleasant and showed compassion.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
The Drs seem pretty busy but our initial sit down meeting went well and she gave me a clear path. After 3 IUI attempts, we should sit down and discuss alternatives. The difficulties would be scheduling an appointment with her for the follow up. For each IUI procedure, I had a different doctor/nurse which was as expected. Some are more articulate than others. The nurse practitioner that did each ultrasound exam was pleasant and showed compassion.
Be proactive in making your appointments and following up.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Good facilities but very busy. Not very personal. It seems like they have very experienced doctors but you don't actually see your own doctor much or talk to them. Most nurses are friendly and so far billing has been okay.

2006 - 2010
She is smart, sensitive, and knowledgable -- when we asked a question about genetic testing of embryos pre-transfer, she explained in clear, not-dumbed down language why this was not a great choice for us.
She [Dr. Huddleston] is smart, sensitive, and knowledgable -- when we asked a question about genetic testing of embryos pre-transfer, she explained in clear, not-dumbed down language why this was not a great choice for us.
2006 - 2010
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
If you don't get pregnant it's not your fault!
I transferred my fertility care to Dr. Huddleston after a bad experience with another San Francisco doctor (she was incredibly un-caring when I had a miscarriage). Dr. Huddleston talked to my partner and I like intelligent humans; she was sympathetic to our loss, clear about our needs, and sensitive to our questions about how to minimize the risk of future miscarriages. When I did miscarry under her care, she was very, very sympathetic - polar opposite of the treatment I received at CPMC.
1 cycle of Femara (miscarriage of identical twins) with IUI, two cycles of Clomid (negative pregnancy test) with IUI, a few other cycles of unmedicated IUIs. Had an HSG and a saline sonogram along the way. (We were using donor sperm so the IUI was a given.) After 18 cycles, 2 years, and two miscarriages, we went to IVF without ICSI. Got pregnant with twins after transferring 2 embryos in my first and only IVF procedure; one stopped developing at 11 weeks. Carried the other to term. I was 36 at the time. I also did a lot of acupuncture but this was not Huddleston-directed.
Sorry, can't remember much other than they were nice.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Busy and successful clinic.
I had amazing insurance.
+ Read more- Read less
I expected a very brief consultation on the first visit and a standard protocol, but Dr. Huddleston and her team spent an hour and 20 minutes with me discussing my case before we proceeded...She was very friendly and patient. I didn't feel rushed at all, and I felt that she was really looking at me and my situation uniquely and deliberating on a course of action that she thought would be best rather than simply applying a formula...As lining prep for an FET, we used estrogen patches, gradually increasing from 1 to 4 patches, then adding vaginal estrogen. This was followed by progesterone vaginal suppositories as I did not need progesterone injections because we did not do a transfer.
It took quite a while to get in as a new patient [at UCSF], but once established there, the care was excellent and getting follow-up appointments was easy and convenient. I always found the nursing staff, phlebotomists, and medical assistants to be very kind and friendly...Brittney [nurse] is an excellent and efficient communicator. She was always very prompt in responding to emails and phone calls with clear instructions...As lining prep for an FET, we used estrogen patches, gradually increasing from 1 to 4 patches, then adding vaginal estrogen. This was followed by progesterone vaginal suppositories as I did not need progesterone injections because we did not do a transfer.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Book ahead. There was a 3-month wait for an appointment with her.
Brittney is an excellent and efficient communicator. She was always very prompt in responding to emails and phone calls with clear instructions.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It took quite a while to get in as a new patient, but once established there, the care was excellent and getting follow-up appointments was easy and convenient. I always found the nursing staff, phlebotomists, and medical assistants to be very kind and friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
My insurance covered everything but the $25 office visit co-pays.

1 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Huddleston is clear and honest but if you prefer an empathetic “bedside manner,” she might not be the right choice. ... Aside from an initial consult in each round, we did not see Dr. Huddleston during the retrievals or transfer. This was fine for us - but if the 1:1 relationship is key to you, might not be a good choice. ... She was patient, clear and frank - I appreciated her approach tremendously.
UCSF is a cutting-edge practice and made us feel that we had access to the most advanced approaches in the field. The facility is excellent and the care team is superb. We also had the opportunity to defray the cost of treatment by participating in research during our treatment. ... The care coordinator was pretty disorganized - critical that we were organized on our own behalf. The nursing staff on-site are universally excellent.
1 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is clear and honest but if you prefer an empathetic “bedside manner,” she might not be the right choice. UCSF is also a group practice, so you see whichever doctor is on rounds that day, not your own provider. Aside from an initial consult in each round, we did not see Dr. Huddleston during the retrievals or transfer. This was fine for us - but if the 1:1 relationship is key to you, might not be a good choice.
Write everything down, particularly about logistics / details of treatment. Ask lots of questions and take the time to ensure you are clear on the answers.
Dr. Huddleston took the time I needed to understand my options and likely outcomes. She was patient, clear and frank - I appreciated her approach tremendously.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is a cutting-edge practice and made us feel that we had access to the most advanced approaches in the field. The facility is excellent and the care team is superb. We also had the opportunity to defray the cost of treatment by participating in research during our treatment. Overall, I would highly recommend this clinic.
UCSF strongly prefers eSET and spends time explaining their rationale to prospective patients. We had no concerns.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Huddleston really sat with me and wanted to hear the full context of my story: why I was there, what motivated me, and my concerns. She was frank about the possible risks but told me she felt like this was a good choice for me, and gave me specific reasons why. I felt very comfortable with and heard by her....I would have liked more follow-through and explanation of every step and what to expect, though.
You'll get great care [at UCSF], but you often see and hear from different people every time. However, they are very timely in their appointments and everyone you meet there is positive and kind. I did sometimes feel rushed and like things were not fully explained, but when I pushed for clarity it was always offered gladly...Brittney helped me with all of my concerns from the logistical to the emotional to the explanatory. She was compassionate, well organized, and timely in her responses.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
I love how compassionate, clear, and real Dr. Huddleston is. I trust her great track record, especially with some of my close friends. I would have liked more follow-through and explanation of every step and what to expect, though.
Know that you may not have total clarity at every step about what comes next, but trust that Dr. Huddleston has good instincts and experience.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
You'll get great care, but you often see and hear from different people every time. However, they are very timely in their appointments and everyone you meet there is positive and kind. I did sometimes feel rushed and like things were not fully explained, but when I pushed for clarity it was always offered gladly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
I haven't paid yet in full, but it was estimated about 15K.
2013
Infertility is daunting and can leave you questioning everything...Dr. Huddleston was a great. She has a direct and no-nonsense personality...
I truly felt like I had a solid care team behind me...Susan Craigg was just very attentive and sensitive to my needs.
2013
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston was a great. She has a direct and no-nonsense personality, but her confidence in my treatment made me feel positive about the possible outcomes. When dealing with infertility, how you feel about your treatment and the confidence in the treatment is important. Infertility is daunting and can leave you questioning everything -- a positive attitude is important and finding a doctor that can help foster that is critical. Thanks to Dr. Huddleston I was able to get pregnant!
In my experience, she wasn't the type of doctor who would give out the "warm and fuzzy" vibe. Don't let that deter you from her seeking her as a doctor.
The entire care team at UCSF was great. In addition to the care from Dr. Huddleston, patients are assigned a nurse who are there for you at all times. Any question I had, I simply called my nurse -- any question she wasn't able to answer, she would consult with Dr. Huddleston. I truly felt like I had a solid care team behind me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Susan Craigg)
Susan Craigg was just very attentive and sensitive to my needs. She understood the stress that comes with fertility treatment so she was very patient with anyswering my questions and providing insight to any concerns I had.

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She explains everything in detail (even drawing us pictures of basic anatomy!). Her style is not overly aggressive but seems rational. Her bedside manner is excellent... She ran tests early that seemed appropriate for our situation and really informed the process, but avoided other tests that didn't seem necessary for us.
Everyone certainly seemed to care about the outcome. Response time on questions was fast and I always felt like the team was taking my situation into account... She [my nurse] always responded to our questions quickly. She was always available by phone.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr Huddleston is wonderful. We had a fantastic experience with her. She explains everything in detail (even drawing us pictures of basic anatomy!). Her style is not overly aggressive but seems rational. Her bedside manner is excellent - warm and caring while still being professional. I have nothing but good things to say about her.
Everyone certainly seemed to care about the outcome. Response time on questions was fast and I always felt like the team was taking my situation into account. She ran tests early that seemed appropriate for our situation and really informed the process, but avoided other tests that didn't seem necessary for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Susan Kregg)
She always responded to our questions quickly. She was always available by phone. She was very patient.

2012 - 2013
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Huddleston] was the right doctor for me. Direct, smart, caring, ready to take the next steps. She spends time with you, explains as much as you need and feels like she's doing everything she can to get you results. [UCSF] is an IVF clinic, they are going to want to do IVF. If you don't want that, you're going to need to talk about going slowly, trying other things first.
[UCSF] is an IVF clinic, they are going to want to do IVF. If you don't want that, you're going to need to talk about going slowly, trying other things first...I felt like my care mattered, that she [Dr. Huddleston] was paying attention to my case and coming into my appointments having reviewed my charts.
2012 - 2013
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
She was the right doctor for me. Direct, smart, caring, ready to take the next steps. She spends time with you, explains as much as you need and feels like she's doing everything she can to get you results.
It's an IVF clinic, they are going to want to do IVF. If you don't want that, you're going to need to talk about going slowly, trying other things first.
I felt like my care mattered, that she was paying attention to my case and coming into my appointments having reviewed my charts.
They were available on the phone, called back and were sweet.