Fertility Institute of New Orleans

Medical SchoolLouisiana St U.
FellowshipBaylor
8585 Picardy Ave
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
(225) 726-2031
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Heber Dunaway to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Institute of New Orleans to a friend?
He [Dr. Dunaway] always started with the most conservative treatment suggestions however listened to you concerns and you and your partners expected time line...Every consult with dr dunaway in person was detailed and amazing, he is great. He replies to emails promptly...Dr Dunaway has compassion for his patients. I’ve never felt rushed in a consult with him. He thoroughly explains procedures. He has years of experience. You are able to communicate with him through personal email and he promptly answers ANY questions the best he can. I would recommend Dr Dunaway.
How was your experience with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Do you research first to know what questions to ask. You are your biggest advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Every consult with dr dunaway in person was detailed and amazing, he is great. He replies to emails promptly. Anytime I met with the nurse early in the process about taking medication cycles or iui cycles, I felt like I was just a number, I always had to figure things out on my own, frequently frustrated with the lack of detail and had surprise cost at check out. The last month has been different, we decided to do invocell/invitro and I got a whole packet of information, cost and an organized folder. It was not just on the process and procedures but on infertility in general. I wish i would have had info with iui cycle. The nurse I saw was very detailed. She answered questions I didn’t even know to ask.
Describe the protocols Heber Dunaway used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
He always started with the most conservative treatment suggestions however listened to you concerns and you and your partners expected time line.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The sooner you start the sooner you start getting answers. The receptionist is amazing, the clinic would not be the same without her. The nurse Cindy always gives so much detail, wish I could have seen her more. Dr Dunaway is exceptional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Wish I would have got a price sheet of consult and standard procedure cost.
Baton Rouge
Dr dunaway is very personable. Laid back and easy to talk to. Will answer questions honestly, even if it is tough to hear. Delivered bad news in a compassionate way. Thinks out loud in front of you, so you know he’s doing his best to come up with a solution.... Started with injectable IUI with no success. Moved on to ivf, stimulation did not go as planned and we found out I am a poor responder and converted to IUI. Attempted ivf with different protocol and retrieved 2 mature eggs. 1 fertilized and the other did not. Fertilized egg grew perfectly to day 3 then arrested. We were left with no embryos to attempt transfer.
He is very laid back but very serious about getting you the results you want.
Dr Dunaway would take the time to answer questions. He was compassionate but also honest. Even if I was there for monitoring and needed to ask him something he would be available and happy to help.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
Jackie was great. She often talks fast and I remember thinking, I’m glad I’m a medical professional because otherwise I would be totally lost. She’s honest about chances but does it in a nice way. Always returns your phone calls.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Office is clean and quiet. Mrs Audrey at the front desk is amazing. Greets you by name on your way in and your way out every single time. Weakness would be that they do monitoring appointments from 7:30-9:00 on first come first serve basis. So if you’re not there very early in the morning you could be waiting a while.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Monitoring is from 7:30-9:00 on a first come first serve basis. Some days you got lucky and got in and out quick. Other days you may be there for a few hours.
Approx $20,000
Baton Rouge
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
After a failed medicated cycle, He [Dr. Heber Dunaway] walked in and immediately started showing us a new type of procedure where they will put the egg and the sperm in a jar and put it inside of you. My husband and I got really excited, until I brought up the fact that I had DOR, and then he said oh yes sorry with the DOR this wouldn’t work. Then, after my laparoscope, he told my husband I have now we would have a regular chance like everyone else.
This doctor was recommended to me by everyone I know, and he was said to be the best. This doctor was full of knowledge and he did everything he could at the time. I did feel like we didn’t research the underlining cause enough to where we could correct it. Sometimes I felt he had lost his passion for this job and that I was doing just standard protocol for people couldn’t get pregnant. He is a great doctor he is very intelligent and he’s helped so many people but for my specific case, I think I may have needed to see someone who specializes in ovarian reserve.
If you were trying to get pregnant he can absolutely help, but if you are searching for answers to explain you’re in fertility, if it is not basic and you need a lot of testing in research and compassion, then you may need to find another doctor
The reason I felt like a number was because each appointment, we went in and it was almost like our doctor did not remember who we were. For example, after a failed medicated cycle, He walked in and immediately started showing us a new type of procedure where they will put the egg and the sperm in a jar and put it inside of you. My husband and I got really excited, until I brought up the fact that I had DOR, and then he said oh yes sorry with the DOR this wouldn’t work. Then, after my laparoscope, he told my husband I have now we would have a regular chance like everyone else. My husband got really excited until I went to my appointment to find out why he had told him that and if this was true and he said well, you have DOR as I just looked up so no maybe not. I kind of felt like he had way too many patients and couldn’t remember our case.
I did four rounds with my OB/GYN of Clomid because I was not getting a positive ovulation test and my progesterone was always low. All of those cycles failed and I was referred to an endocrinologist. This RE ran my blood panel and discover that my FSH was at a 12 and my AMH was at .7. We also discovered my husband had mild morphology issues. After all of these test, we decided to do a medicated round of injections using Gonal-F and then doing an IUI. We did this in November 2017 and the cycle failed. Once the cycle failed, I demanded a HSG to see if my tubes were blocked. My doctor decided to do a laparoscope Tuesday to be able to go in And put eyes on everything. In January 2018 I was diagnosed with stage to endometriosis. My uterus my ovaries and everything looks good my tubes weren’t blocked and he remove the endometriosis. Currently, I am waiting to see if I can get pregnant on my own for month or two and if this fails, I will try one more medicated round and then go to CYN to do IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
I know that nurses have to have a hard exterior to work in this profession especially having to see the heart ache day by day. With that in mind, I found the nurses to be lacking compassion but very knowledgeable. My particular nurse always answered my calls always came back with answers never left me hanging, which I was grateful for. Sometimes another nurse would be there and I just found that I was not comfortable I felt like they really didn’t care. My sister is a nurse, so I know this is part of the job.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This is a business and it is treated like a business. Be prepared to have money discussed upfront and you won’t get much help or advice on how to finance things. Dr. Dunaway is extremely intelligent he’s to the point and he does not tend to dig too much on your specific issues facing this is a business and it is treated like a business. Be prepared to have money discussed upfront and you won’t get much help or advice on how to finance things. Dr. Dunaway is extremely intelligent he’s to the point and he does not tend to dig too much on your specific issues. He is good at what he does, but I think if you have immune issues or diminished ovarian reserve, you may need to see a specialist. He’s going to keep trying if you allow.
Consult was $500, IUIS were 500 and my medicated cycle cost with meds around $4,000
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Dunaway shoots from the hip and remains realistic while also being very kind and personable. Even when delivering bad news you know he is in your corner and willing to explore other options.... Dr. Dunaway used a Lupron Microflare protocol on me because I did not respond incredibly well (had empty follicles and poor grade embryos) from my previous cycle with another doctor. I stimmed very well and my 3 embryos (from 15 eggs) looked great.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Dunaway shoots from the hip and remains realistic while also being very kind and personable. Even when delivering bad news you know he is in your corner and willing to explore other options. He also listened to all of my questions even if he did not feel they were relavent to my situation or treatment. He was also available by cell phone and email. I feel he goes above and beyond.
Ditch the huge paper charts and start using electronic medical records. This would save the nurse’s time when going over things like medications. They would only need to click that things were the same instead of writing things out every time. Also, this would allow for lab results to be easily viewed and compared at all times.
The staff is always pleasant and makes you feel as though time is being made for you to be seen. They do not rush you out, and Dr. Dunaway will always listen to your concerns.
Dr. Dunaway used a Lupron Microflare protocol on me because I did not respond incredibly well (had empty follicles and poor grade embryos) from my previous cycle with another doctor. I stimmed very well and my 3 embryos (from 15 eggs) looked great. However, they were all chromosomally abnormal, so we did not move on to transfer.
My nurse is helpful and kind, but she is not warm. She can be a bit blunt and/or desmissive at times as well. Sometimes the nurses seem a bit disorganized.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths: Nice office environment, friendly staff, prompt appointment times. Weaknesses: Huge paper files and lack of computer charting used. Bedside manner can be lacking sometimes with support staff. It would be nice if they had a portable for patients to actually view and/or save lab results as well. Mine were mostly only verbally told to me.
Although a good number of people moved in and out, I felt the monitoring appointments were handled well and went fairly quickly.
I do not remember specific costs. However, after our failed cycle, Dr. Dunaway did give us a price break for our donor egg FET. Every little bit helps being that we are totally self-pay.
Describe Heber Dunaway's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
My doctor is open with patients. He feels this is their decision (within reason). However, now with the new guidelines his clinic is most likely exclusively doing single transfers except for in the case of older women.
Baton Rouge
He [Dr. Dunaway] is kind & compassionate. The first times I went he seemed rushed, but now he seems to take his time & he always asks if I have any questions before he ends the consult. He has a good sense of humor too, and only uses it when appropriate. I am overweight & I worried how he would treat me because of that, but he has been nothing but compassionate. Even when talking about my weight, he is able to do it in a way that doesn't make me feel like a horrible person! I am so happy he is my doctor. I trust him 100%.
He is kind & compassionate. The first times I went he seemed rushed, but now he seems to take his time & he always asks if I have any questions before he ends the consult. He has a good sense of humor too, and only uses it when appropriate. I am overweight & I worried how he would treat me because of that, but he has been nothing but compassionate. Even when talking about my weight, he is able to do it in a way that doesn't make me feel like a horrible person! I am so happy he is my doctor. I trust him 100%.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. Even if it seems like he is finished with your consult, he will absolutely stop & answer any questions that you have.
They genuinely care about you, it is very noticeable. Since fall of 2016 when I became a patient there, I have never felt rushed or that the nurse/doctor was annoyed with me in any way. My doctor was waiting when I was wheeled out after my egg retrieval & gave me a high-five. Another time, I started crying when I realized I didn't owe as much money as I thought I did & the receptionist came around the desk & hugged me. And I can hear the sadness in my nurse's voice when she calls with bad news. They seem to get it & they rejoice with you when you get good news, and they are sad with you when you don't. I definitely feel like they want this for me, too.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie )
I love Mrs. Jackie! She definitely makes me feel like she cares about me & about the outcome of my procedures. She's so nice, and I can hear the sadness or excitement in her voice when she calls with bad or good news. I love the entire nursing staff, though. I have worked with Holly, Simone & Cindy, and they've all been so sweet. I worked with Jackie & Simone the most. Angela is the one who draws your blood, and I always laughed & talked with her. Love the staff!
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The only complaint I have ever had is that they don't set appointments for labs/ultrasounds. They just tell everyone to come within a certain time frame in the morning. Because of this there is often a wait. At my last RE office, you had an appointment for everything, and I don't think I ever waited longer than 10 minutes, and it was usually less than that! For procedures the wait wasn't bad, but it could be awhile for the monitoring appointments. That being said... they make up for this one thing in every other area!
It did run smoothly as far as you being called to the back, getting your labs done, getting your ultrasound done, and checking out - however, the wait before you were called to the back could be a bit long.
For my IVF cycle, I chose Single Cycle Plus which included an egg retrieval and two transfers (the second transfer is included if your first transfer doesn't work or results in a miscarriage). The cost was $12,950. This didn't include the consult which was around $210. It also didn't include some tests/labs that add up to be about $1200 (although you don't have to do these if they've been done already at a previous clinic within the last year). And it doesn't include meds which can range from $5-$7k (or more if you do not respond to the meds). Plus we chose to do ICSI which was another $1200.
For me, he always transferred 2 at a time, that was his stance & his protocol for a long time unless the individual situation caused him to only transfer one. However, now he can only transfer one due to Louisiana regulations, unless you are over a certain age (I think 38).
Baton Rouge
We have only met with Dr. Dunaway a few times but every time I have been more than satisfied with our experience. He takes the time to answer your questions, thoroughly explains everything, and treats you as an individual.... We are still early on in our treatment and plan but Dr. Dunaway did suggest that we use IVF w/ ICSI due to our severe male factor. He also suggested that we see a Urologist that specialized in male infertility before we begin and we have been doing that. I loved that he didn't just have us jump right into treatment.
We have only met with Dr. Dunaway a few times but every time I have been more than satisfied with our experience. He takes the time to answer your questions, thoroughly explains everything, and treats you as an individual. I feel 100% confident in continuing our treatment with Dr. Dunaway!
I would make a list of all questions you may have, no matter how small you think they are. Dr. Dunaway will take the time to sit with you and go over your entire list.
Dr. Dunaway is wonderful, he truly cares about you as a patient and will spend as much time as you need answering any of your questions.
Overall the nursing staff has been great, they are compassionate and you can tell they really care about each patient and understand how sensitive and emotional this process can be. Every time I have called with a question or concern I get a call back very quickly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The FINO clinic in Baton Rouge is fairly small but only one doctor is practicing out of this location. My only real complaint is that before I scheduled our first consultation I had called to make sure it would be coded as a consultation because that is the only way my insurance would pay for the visit and they assured me it would, when we went to check out they had coded it as "infertility" which my insurance would not cover and I was required to full pay for that visit on the spot which I wasn't really prepared for. We have also gotten bills in my husbands name that were for me which can be confusing. Dr. Dunaway and his staff are really wonderful, I would just make sure you understand all the financial aspects of your visits.
We haven't fully began treatment yet but when we asked how much IVF w/ ICSI would cost we were told roughly 15k plus medication costs. OUr full pay cost for just a consultation was somewhere around $250 (there was an issue with how this visit was coded so insurance didn't cover)
Dr. Dunaway did educate us on single embryo transfer and explained not only the benefits but how the government in our state has set restrictions on how many you can transfer based on your age.
Baton Rouge
So far, we have only done one IUI cycle with Dr. Dunaway. My IUI fell on a Saturday, which only one location was open so another doctor performed the IUI. I have not seen Dr. Dunaway since our consultation. I assume this is routine with IUI cycles. We have been very satisfied with the nurse we see each visit....Our first IUI cycle we used 100 mg of Clomid. I had used 50 mg in the past so he felt a higher dosage was needed. Two rounds of IUI were suggested due to our male factor infertility of low motility and morphology.
So far, we have only done one IUI cycle with Dr. Dunaway. My IUI fell on a Saturday, which only one location was open so another doctor performed the IUI. I have not seen Dr. Dunaway since our consultation. I assume this is routine with IUI cycles. We have been very satisfied with the nurse we see each visit. We plan to move on to IVF if this second IUI is unsuccessful so I know we will see Dr. Dunaway again at that time. I feel he will address all of our concerns and explain the IVF process thoroughly should we decide to take that route.
Go see him! He is very knowledgeable and stays up to date on all the latest technology and advances in fertility treatments. Very kind and caring doctor.
Although the clinic is very busy, I feel all of my questions are answered and I don't usually feel rushed.
Our first IUI cycle we used 100 mg of Clomid. I had used 50 mg in the past so he felt a higher dosage was needed. Two rounds of IUI were suggested due to our male factor infertility of low motility and morphology. The first IUI was unsuccessful and I developed cysts from the Clomid. This next cycle, he switched me to Femara 7.5 mg, which I start today! I was prescribed the hcg trigger shot for both cycles, and this time we are adding progesterone suppositories.
Holly is very informative in the field and answers all of our questions each visit. We feel comfortable with her and think she's really nice and caring.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
We have been very impressed with the wait time. We are in and out in no time, which is a huge plus since we drive over an hour away and have to get back to work. The receptionist is very sweet and always makes us feel welcome. The ultrasound techs are very knowledgeable in their field and answer any questions we have. I can't think of any weaknesses!
We were told the cycle fee would be $850 for IUI. Medications cost about $175, ultrasounds/monitoring cost about $350 (insurance covered some) and we had a credit on our account from previous services so we only had to pay $385 the day of the procedure. So the estimate they gave was pretty close, no surprises.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Dunaway knows his stuff....Friendly, easy to talk to, although he may simplify the process when explaining. I wasn't always sure what to expect next, if my side effects/symptoms were normal, if my results were as expected, etc...Bring someone to appointments to make sure you both understand his explanations. He is very friendly and can easily bustle in and out of the room before you realize you did ask the questions you intended to!
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Dunaway knows his stuff. He is worth going to just by his success rate alone. Friendly, easy to talk to, although he may simplify the process when explaining. I wasn't always sure what to expect next, if my side effects/symptoms were normal, if my results were as expected, etc.
Trust his opinion, but if you are detail-oriented, have all questions ready to go! Bring someone to appointments to make sure you both understand his explanations. He is very friendly and can easily bustle in and out of the room before you realize you did ask the questions you intended to!
The clinic and Nurses were easy to get in touch with. They recognized me by site, and they were always friendly. On occasion, I did feel like maybe they were a little jaded to the process. They would explain things so matter of factly, at times skipping over the mental or emotional Aspect of the process.
I should have kept notes. Lots of Lupron. Gonal and menopur for retrieval--doses changed often based on ultrasound and labs. A few oral meds to avoid OHSS after retrieval. I wanted to try a fresh transfer but they did not allow it due to my lab levels. For transfer, estradiol IM and patches, then added in IM progesterone. After transfer, added baby aspirin for a while. Switched IM progesterone to vaginal suppository. Stopped all meds at 10 weeks. Weekly ultrasounds until I "graduated" to regular ob at 10 weeks.
Jackie has been doing this forever. Very organized, straight forward, calm. Go in to appointments with questions ready to go so she isn't in and out. Very clear on directions, but can skim over side effects and emotional aspects of fertility treatment. Overall impression, they aren't there to baby you-they are there to get you pregnant.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Organized, friendly staff. Good location in central Baton Rouge. Expensive but they are the best in our area, so I do not regret going to them first.
Ultrasounds and labs were scheduled in the mornings. Quick and efficient. Ultrasound and lab techs are very friendly. I always picked up new information from the ultrasound techs during my ultrasounds. (Sometimes they mentioned things I feel like I should have known about from the nurse! I wish I remember a good example of this.)
1 egg retrieval with 2 transfers cost about 12,000. ICSI was another $2000, roughly. Med cost was not included in this. I paid half up front, then the other half later on, I believe close to my transfer date.
Standard for my age was 2 embryo transfers, which I was fine with.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Dunaway actually takes the time to plan a path for you and your partner while explaining his reasoning and then asks your opinion. I felt like I had a say so in what they were doing...Dr. Dunaway is caring and compassionate, but not clueless. He gives you the results straightforward, but also has a plan to follow...Fertility pills for our first cycle which resulted in a negative pregnancy test, but wanted to see my body's reaction to the pills.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
My statement from the human vs number will be the same answer. He is caring and compassionate, but straightforward with issues. He always has a plan ready if one plan didn't work out the way we hoped.
Don't waste your time seeing a OB/GYN. Let Dr. Dunaway help you get where you want to be quicker. He is amazing!
Dr. Dunaway actually takes the time to plan a path for you and your partner while explaining his reasoning and then asks your opinion. I felt like I had a say so in what they were doing. The staff has also went out of their way to help my situation when needed by squeezing me in at the last minute. Dr. Dunaway is caring and compassionate, but not clueless. He gives you the results straightforward, but also has a plan to follow.
Fertility pills for our first cycle which resulted in a negative pregnancy test, but wanted to see my body's reaction to the pills. IUI with shots- my body didn't react enough to the pills. First time with shots I ovulated early which resulted in a negative pregnancy test and another medicine being added the next go around. 2 more cycles both with a negative pregnancy test. Surgery followed to see if their were blockages or other issues. IVF is our next step. Unfortunately, we have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly and then Jackie)
Absolutely wonderful. Caring and always a pleasure to see even though infertility is extremely hard to deal with.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
It's not going to be perfect, but the clinic does everything they can to help you. Every person has different issues and I believe Dr. Dunaway and staff do everything they can to assist and care for you and your future pregnancy.
I have no cover under insurance for infertility and unexplained infertility. It has been expensive, but when Dunaway can he will help you.
Baton Rouge
I really like Dr. Dunaway. His communication and personality are a very good fit for me. I prefer direct and to the point communication. I like that he kind of thinks out loud when we talk...that lets me know he's weighing different options about the protocol he's giving me and not just sticking to a cookie-cutter plan. He tells me the truth, asks me questions, asks if I am comfortable with what he's telling me to do or medicine to take. I feel like he communicates clearly and that is very important.
I just "graduated" from the clinic and am 10 weeks pregnant! Dr. Dunaway is an excellent doctor. He's the second RE that I've seen, and I trust him. Still ask questions if there's something you don't understand, but he explained things before I even needed to ask most of the time.
The staff at the Fertility Institute-BR are SO precious! I live 4 hours away from the clinic and they are so sweet and accommodating. They know my name, ask me how I'm doing, talk about real life, etc.
I was on Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, and the medicine used for trigger just completely left my brain. I'm thinking it was Bravelle? I cannot remember, sorry! It was a very straightforward protocol. They provided me with a calendar so that I could fill it in with the info from each visit - this was super helpful. My egg retrieval was in June 2016 and my transfer was supposed to be in September 2016. We started FET protocol, but my body went crazy with estrogen and my transfer had to be cancelled because my lining was too thick. My lining was a 17 for my first monitoring appointment. Ideally they want it to be around 9-12 by the time you transfer, so mine was WAY too thick. Dr. Dunaway personally came to chat with me and the IVF coordinator, Jackie. He specifically said that he hated to cancel my transfer, but that I have really good embryos and he doesn't want to waste my embryos on not-ideal lining. I was disappointed, but I trusted that he was doing what was best for me and my embryos. I was instructed to stop all meds and call when my cycle started. It didn't start for 4 weeks, so I just went back for them to check me, and they gave me Provera to make my period start. Dr. Dunaway adjusted my meds from estrogen injections & patches to just an oral dose of Estrace twice a day. My lining was looking good, but a little on the thicker side, so they moved my transfer date one day sooner. We transferred 2 embryos and I stayed on PIO injections for 6 weeks, then switched to Endometrium inserts for another 3 weeks (until I was 10 weeks pregnant). I was also still taking Estrace twice a day up until 10 weeks.
Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is the one that I talk to the most. She is kind, caring, and gentle in her delivery of information. She does kind of talk fast, but when I ask her to repeat something she will even say, "I'm sorry I'm talking so fast..." then she will repeat or answer whatever question I have. The ultrasound girls are super sweet. They always talk to me, ask me how I'm doing, talk about the day, etc. I probably ask them the most questions while they are doing my ultrasound, "what's that? is that a good thing? why does that look like that? how do you know that the blob is a follicle and not a cyst?" they are always SO sweet and answer every single question...and they don't make me feel like I'm bothering them by asking. Another nurse that I've seen is Simone. She was there on my retrieval day & transfer day. She was really kind and caring. I don't remember the names of the other nurses who were there for my pre-op and post-op retrieval, but they were very sweet.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic participated with an organization called Sarah's Laughter. SL hosts a Baby Steps fun run every year where they give away a $10k grant to one couple, and The Fertility Institute gave away a FREE IVF cycle. At Baby Steps 2015, Dr. Dunaway saw how many people had participated, so he gave away an additional half off IVF, 2 free IUIs, and a few free consultations. I signed up for Baby Steps and created a "race team". My name was chosen for the half off IVF cycle. Without Dr. Dunaway's generosity, I don't think I would be pregnant right now. At this point, I really cannot think of any weaknesses. They are all so kind, everyone on staff seems very knowledgeable, their office, exam rooms, operating facilities, lab, etc. are all state of the art fantastic. The receptionist, Ms. Audrey, she is absolutely precious. She was always very upbeat and encouraging every time I saw her. I am very impressed and grateful for the care I received.
They prefer for you to be there between 7-9am. I live 4 hours away and would leave my house around 5am to get there at least by 9am. They were very understanding if I was late and were able to see me immediately. One time I completely slept through my alarms. I got on the road as fast as I could and called when they opened and told them what happened. They said it wasn't a big deal and as long as I was there by 11:30, it wouldn't be a problem. I was there at 10:50 and they called me right to the back. Even with the flooding in Baton Rouge, they didn't close and still saw patients as scheduled.
Since I won the half off IVF, I was charged half of the costs. My total was around $7,500 - that included freezing all embryos and 1 transfer, so I would guess the costs would be around $14-15k (plus medicine). The ultrasounds that I had after my positive pregnancy test were paid separately.
New Orleans
Dr. Dunaway was always cheerful and friendly. He spent as much time as we needed during each appointment and I never once felt rushed to leave. He made me feel as though I was his only (and favorite) patient. Dr. Dunaway went above and beyond to answer questions and explain treatment protocol. His confidence helped ease any anxiety I had.... We elected to transfer two embryos based on preference and statistics and it resulted in a single pregnancy.
Trust him and don't be afraid to ask questions. He is extremely compassionate while quickly getting to the point. He's not going to waste your time or money.
Dr. Dunaway and his staff were always personable and friendly! They made me and my husband feel like we were part of their family.
Dr. Dunaway began with an HSG to ensure my tubes weren't blocked and proceeded with an IUI with injectables due to my history of failed response with Clomid and letrozole. We used Gonal-F and Cetrotide that matured five follicles but the IUI was not successful. We decided to go to IVF with ICSI and after a saline sonogram I began stim protocol using Follistim, Menopur and lupron. I had monitoring appointments almost every day due to medication adjustments before my egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie, Simone, Holly)
All of the nurses and coordinators were very quick to call me with lab results and answer all of my questions. They were very thorough and spent as much time with me as I needed.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I love this clinic and have nothing negative to say! Expect friendly faces and personal dialogue from everyone involved from the moment you check in to the time you leave. The clinic is state of the art, professional and very inviting.
Monitoring appointments for ultrasounds and labs are done in a two hour window first thing in the morning. They provided hours before work so schedules were not inconvenient.
Of the the 8 eggs fertilized, 2 were frozen on day five and 2 more were frozen on day six. We elected to transfer two embryos based on preference and statistics and it resulted in a single pregnancy.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
I had high natural killer cells so once we got pregnant we had to undergo testing [with Dr. Dunaway] to see how high my natural killer cells were and then complete three rounds of IVIG treatment to keep my body from fighting off the fetus until my placenta took over... was very aggressive with his plan for my treatments. He also did a great job of laying out all the options and talking through possible scenarios. Dr Dunaway was present for every appointment and ultrasound. He clearly set expectations for my next appointment and was honest on what to expect!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
Dr Dunaway was very aggressive with his plan for my treatments. He also did a great job of laying out all the options and talking through possible scenarios. Dr Dunaway was present for every appointment and ultrasound. He clearly set expectations for my next appointment and was honest on what to expect!
Be prepared for complete honesty. He is warm and kind but does not sugar coat anything.
We did not use any treatment to get pregnant. I had high natural killer cells so once we got pregnant we had to undergo testing to see how high my natural killer cells were and then complete three rounds of IVIG treatment to keep my body from fighting off the fetus until my placenta took over.
On my initial visit I wished that the nurse would have done a better job of breaking down the tests that needed to be run. I felt overwhelming and confused. After that visit, the nurses were great. They called quickly with test results and helped me understand what they meant. They were also fabulous once we got pregnant throughout visits and ultrasounds!
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The whole process was a positive one for me despite the reason we had to be there. Some of the nurses could have taken more time to explain things but as a whole they were encouraging and helpful. If also felt like they were truly rooting for you!
I paid for most of my initial testing out of pocket. After that, his office did a great job coding my visits so that they were covered.
Baton Rouge
Dr Dunaway was very kind and informative. He seemed to care about trying to figure of my unexplained secondary fertility of 4 years. Good bed side manner, much better than previous doctors. He was quick to suggest surgery but I believe he really thought it would help my situation...Iui with oral medications...All 3 ended in negative pregnancy tests...Office visits are fairly time consuming, longer waits then expected on a few occasions.
Dr Dunaway was kind and very informative. Good bed side manner, much better than previous doctors. He was quick to suggest surgery but I believe he really thought it would help my situation. Unfortunately, 4.5 years of infertility and we are still not pregnant
Office visits are fairly time consuming, longer waits then expected on a few occasions. If you are doing a iui, have your husband collect the sample at the office and not off premise. The wait to collect my husbands sample was extremely long and I feel it may have cost us a successful cycle
Dr Dunaway was very kind and informative. He seemed to care about trying to figure of my unexplained secondary fertility of 4 years. His nurse is nice but is a bit dry and not overly helpful.
Iui with oral medications. It was our third iui and medications where champagne increased each cycle. All 3 ended in negative pregnancy tests
Nice but not overly helpful or caring. Felt more like a number with the nurse staff
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Clean and accommodating Sometime long wait times My fourth cycle was cancelled due to Zika, the problem with this was I had to go in for an appointment, charged for an ultrasound, waited 20 minutes to speak with the nurse, to then only be told th cycle would have to be cancelled. I feel that this information should have been discussed prior to my appointment
Approximately: Ultrasounds- $200 x 4-5 Blood work- $1,000 Medications- $1,000 IUI- $700 Sperm testing- $400
Baton Rouge
Dr. Dunaway was a lifesaver. He did every test to figure out what was wrong with me- and he was incredibly confident in my treatment. I had never seen a male doctor before, and I instantly felt comfortable with him. His warm demeanor, years of knowledge and expertise, and sense of humor helped us get through the tough times. I would recommend him and his staff without hesitation.
JUST GO.
Everyone always greeted me by name. Super kind and caring staff. Felt comfortable day 1.
Frequent blood tests to see my thyroid and prolactin from my tumor. Medicated cycles with trigger shots and IUIs. He gave us the option of IUIs, but we wanted to do them. Got pregnant on the second round.
Absolutely loved Holly!!! So sweet and kind. Saw a couple of others at the office and they were all wonderful.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Great staff. Friendly and warm. Make appointments ahead of time- be prepared. Didn’t have to wait long. Very efficient and professional. Loved everyone- Ms. Audrey was super sweet and kind. Ms. Angela (who took the blood) was the absolute best!!! She helped me feel calm and cared for.
$1100 each round of IUI with meds
Baton Rouge
As a patient, I felt that he [Dr. Dunaway] was extremely intelligent and that there were many options that he wanted to try. As far as showing compassion, I found a lot of the times it was more about money than digging deep into our case.... I felt like my wife was treated as a number simply because a lot of the times we got information before the doctor remembered that we were a couple with morphology issues and low ovarian reserve
As a patient, I felt that he was extremely intelligent and that there were many options that he wanted to try. As far as showing compassion, I found a lot of the times it was more about money than digging deep into our case.
This doctor has a very good reputation for achieving pregnancies, in my case it was not very good.
We did a few months on Clomid, then we did a few months just are you IUIs and then we did a medicated round all resulting in negatives.
I don’t feel like the nursing staff was very friendly or showed a lot of compassion. If anything, I felt uncomfortable as a husband.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The front desk lady is extremely nice, the nurses are OK and the good thing is that they will return your calls promptly, you won’t see your doctor that often the nurses do most of the work. When you do see him he is extremely intelligent and has been in the field for a very long time.
$4000 for medicated cycle with Gonal F and then 500 per IUI
Baton Rouge
The Doctor [Dr. Dunaway] wants to see everyone have a baby. He has worked very hard to do that for our family. The week we completed stims he stopped my wife taking one of her medications and we were freaking out a little. If he did not tell us to stop that medication then we would have had OHSS. We are glad to know that he was monitoring us that closely. We recently transferred out first embryo and still waiting to see if we carry the baby to full term.
The Doctor wants to see everyone have a baby. He has worked very hard to do that for our family. The week we completed stims he stopped my wife taking one of her medications and we were freaking out a little. If he did not tell us to stop that medication then we would have had OHSS. We are glad to know that he was monitoring us that closely. We recently transferred out first embryo and still waiting to see if we carry the baby to full term.
Don't be afraid to ask question if you don't understand.
The staff at The Fertility Institute has always been compassionate to our needs.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
All of the staff personnel is very professional at this location. The staff is very compassionate. They are almost like family you see them so much while completing IVF. We drive 90 mins both ways to see them.
The insurance paid most of it.
Baton Rouge
He [Dr. Dunaway] explain very well what we have to do and what next. He on top with things. He get things in order and on a roll. He gave us some options of what we can do and what to do. I got a lot of people tell me he very good and thrust worthy of how to go with fertility. He sat their and explain what he think wrong.... He explain what we will probably have to do. I been trying to get pregnant for 9 years and can’t afford a ivf, and that what he said we probably have to do
He explain very well what we have to do and what next. He on top with things. He get things in order and on a roll. He gave us some options of what we can do and what to do. I got a lot of people tell me he very good and thrust worthy of how to go with fertility. He sat their and explain what he think wrong.
He explain things very good
They made us feel very welcome, kind and warmly. They helped us with questions we had and explain things we asked
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
When u walk in the clinic u feel so welcome. The nurses very friendly and make u feel comfortable. They explain what is next and what to look forward to. They listen to you while u talk and answer with good advice.
$500 so far
Baton Rouge
My experience as a patient has been very personable. We are seeing dunaway for Invocell and I am completely confident in his work. He [Dr. Dunaway] was thorough about what we needed to do to get there and how we could get there....From the moment I walked into the office, my experience felt so personable. I felt like I was exactly where I needed to be....Let him do what he knows how to do and don't stress... We are currently going through Invocell process.
My experience as a patient has been very personable. We are seeing dunaway for Invocell and I am completely confident in his work. He was thorough about what we needed to do to get there and how we could get there.
Let him do what he knows how to do and don't stress ;)
We are currently going through Invocell process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Simone & Jackie)
The nursing staff and coordinators are AWESOME! They know my voice when I call and always deal with my constant questions!
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is wonderful from the moment you walk in. Mrs. Audrey is a wonderful first face to see! They are quick to pull you back to your appointment and you always know exactly what you're in for for each appointment.
Our insurance covers infertility 90% up until diagnoses. They are very good with explaining what your out of cost will be up front
Baton Rouge
He's [Dr. Dunaway] a wonderful doctor. Sometimes "too" enthusiastic but always honest. He performs every procedure and is very informative. Only negative is sometimes you feel a little mislead...He was enthusiastic yet realistic....We did long lupron protocol with 150 of each follistim and menopur. Also 10 units of lupron about a week prior. My amh is good, but we didn't get a ton of eggs...I would definitely recommend him to a friend...
He's a wonderful doctor. Sometimes "too" enthusiastic but always honest. He performs every procedure and is very informative. Only negative is sometimes you feel a little mislead. I would definitely recommend him to a friend
Do your homework ahead of time. Be prepared with questions
He was enthusiastic yet realistic.
Jackie is wonderful. She has been doctor Dunaway's nurse for 30 years. The scheduling is always clear cut and always organized. She is always on top of her calls. Sometimes she sounds "sad" when she calls which freaks me out
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Clean and organized clinic, but always a long ivf wait list
Super organized and clean. State of the art facility
I have insurance coverage, so only $4000
Generally he is pro 2 embryo transfer
Uterine Fibroids, Other
He [Dr. Dunaway] was very friendly and he was able to diagnose my problem right away...so I had surgery...but he didnt explain well what he saw wrong with my tubes...just mentioned scarring after my recovery period...and when it was time for the actual iui's barely heard or got a response on how to proceed...He is a good doctor just not a good one for me
Uterine Fibroids, Other
He was very friendly and he was able to diagnose my problem right away so I had surgery but he didnt explain well what he saw wrong with my tubes just mentioned scarring after my recovery period and when it was time for the actual iui's barely heard or got a response on how to proceed.
He is a good doctor just not a good one for me
Only to inform them when the start of your cycle was so they could schedule the sis
I hated the nurse she always had an attitude like I was bothering her I don't know if it was because she was pregnant or because I was gay but I didn't like her vibe and lack of communication and care so I went with another doctor
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is nice and the other staff members were very friendly. Kind if hard to get in for an appointment because of there popularity but spends a lot of time going over things in consultation. My surgery went well also
My insurance covered most and I only paid copays and 1,000 toward my out of pocket as the doctor fee before surgery
1 IUI, IVF
Endometriosis, Male Factor
I felt that Dr. Dunaway was the first Dr. to look further than an unexplained diagnosis after 5 years and two prior doctors he found that I had stage 3 endometriosis and removed it, now planning to do IVF due to additional male factor with husband. I appreciate his thorough exploration of things before more time was wasted!...He is very personable but specific and to the point. He puts you at ease during procedure. Offers a personal viewpoint.
1 IUI, IVF
Endometriosis, Male Factor
He is very personable but specific and to the point. He puts you at ease during procedure. Offers a personal viewpoint. Nurses could be more friendly and sympathetic to patients with questions about processes.
To write down any questions he will look over your questions with you
Laparoscopy to remove stage 3 endo & post op check up IVF consult Repeat semen analysis verified male factor infertility Recommended to do IVF/ICSI Began IVF work up sonogram /blood work /packet Will soon go back
Very vague not compassionate or sympathetic
Patient scheduling very friendly
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
He is a great Dr that is very determined to figure out what is going on in your body and to fix it in any way possible I left out being very positive when I went in very negative he also found the source of my bleeding and help to quickly stop it...He is a very good doctor that explains everything to you and is very determined to figure out what is going on and help fix it...The doctor and his staff are the best they will help you in any way possible to get you the family you always wanted they are very caring and loving people I will never go to another doctor I love Dr Dunaway
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
You will not be sorry you went to him
Everyone that works in his office is great