Available by cell phone
Doctor personal cell phone
Medical SchoolLouisiana St U.
FellowshipBaylor
8585 Picardy Ave
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
(225) 726-2031
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Heber Dunaway to a friend?

6.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Institute of New Orleans to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Immunological
After analyzing a previous canceled IVF cycle (with another doctor), he [Dr. Herber Dunaway] decided to try a micro-flare protocol with me. I don't remember all of the specifics of that cycle. The end result was, I got canceled again because my ovaries love to grow cysts. After that cycle, we discussed and agreed to go back to what worked in the past. We switched back to 25 mg of Clomid & IUI, adding in IVIg infusions. The clomid + IUI by itself had previously gotten me 2 viable pregnancies that were lost in 2nd trimester due to an incompetent cervix. That combination has been successful since then, but has ended in chemical pregnancies and an 8 week miscarriage. We're waiting on a cyst to resolve so we can try it again.
The entire staff [at Fertility Institute of NO-Baton Rouge] is pretty great. They have always been very compassionate with me & seems genuinely invested in my success. The sonographers are so great & gentle; any one that's had a rough scan at the fertility office should appreciate this! If I had to pick one weakness for the clinic as a whole, I would say that it's punctuality. What office doesn't have issues with that, though? I think many of the delays are due to Dr. Dunaway &/or his staff spending extra time with patients. They get backed up. I would rather wait extra time for my appointment than be rushed through like I didn't matter, though.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Immunological
How was your experience with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I think that Dr. Dunaway is pretty unique as a fertility doctor. In my experience, it's very common for doctors to look at a diagnosis & have a pretty rigid "plan of attack." Dr. Dunaway has shown extreme flexibility & a willingness to try an unconventional approach to my treatment. I fully believe this will lead to my eventual success. My current treatment plan is absolutely NOT typical for a woman with my set of diagnoses, but it's getting me very close to success. He is incredible warm with his patients & has never once made me feel rushed through an appointment. He patiently answers the million questions I have and, maybe more importantly, when I ask something he doesn't have the answer to, he does the appropriate research and gets an answer. I honestly can't say much about any weaknesses he has as a clinician, he's by and far the best doctor I've ever had.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Ask lots of questions! He will take as much time as is needed to make you feel comfortable about what your plan is. If you think of a question after you leave, call them! You will always get an answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I have always been treated with respect by Dr. Dunaway and his staff. They consistently listen to my treatment ideas and are always willing to have an open, honest, realistic conversation with me about my treatments & prognosis. Dr. Dunaway does not treat each patient the same, which I have seen in the past; we are all treated as individuals with our own set of obstacles.
Describe the protocols Heber Dunaway used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
My case is complicated and our strategies have changed a few times. After analyzing a previous canceled IVF cycle (with another doctor), he decided to try a micro-flare protocol with me. I don't remember all of the specifics of that cycle. The end result was, I got canceled again because my ovaries love to grow cysts. After that cycle, we discussed and agreed to go back to what worked in the past. We switched back to 25 mg of Clomid & IUI, adding in IVIg infusions. The clomid + IUI by itself had previously gotten me 2 viable pregnancies that were lost in 2nd trimester due to an incompetent cervix. That combination has been successful since then, but has ended in chemical pregnancies and an 8 week miscarriage. We're waiting on a cyst to resolve so we can try it again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
Jackie knows her patients. She knows that I need a little (ok, a lot) of extra hand holding. She knows that I'm always armed with way too many questions. She is always patient with me, she explains things multiple times, & never makes me feel like a burden. I know that I'm not an easy patient, but she has never made me feel that way.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The entire staff is pretty great. They have always been very compassionate with me & seems genuinely invested in my success. The sonographers are so great & gentle; any one that's had a rough scan at the fertility office should appreciate this! If I had to pick one weakness for the clinic as a whole, I would say that it's punctuality. What office doesn't have issues with that, though? I think many of the delays are due to Dr. Dunaway &/or his staff spending extra time with patients. They get backed up. I would rather wait extra time for my appointment than be rushed through like I didn't matter, though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I do not remember specifics about the costs of any of my procedures.
Describe Heber Dunaway's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Dr. Dunaway almost exclusively does SETs. Regardless of his stance, I did not have the option for transfer of multiple embryos due to my loss history.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.

Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Heber Dunaway is very caring, considerate and compassionate to his patients. I can recall prior to my surgery, he said some very encouraging words to my husband and I, and it felt like my father was talking to me. He's an amazing Physician...For my initial blood work, the levels were low for a specific component, Dr. Dunaway prescribed compound DHEA 3× per day and over the counter Qunol Co Q 10 2x per day and my levels were great.
Mrs. Jackie [nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is a very helpful, caring nurse, who considers the patients feelings. She patiently answers all of my questions completely, so that I could fully understand...The staff is very friendly, they're always very nice and display pleasant attitudes. They all are team players and cheer their patients on. FINO is a very encouraging environment. The nurses are very knowledgeable and have great communication skills, they're also very supportive, and return your call promptly. Honestly, I have no complaints about the clinic, doctor or staff. The clinic, Dr. Dunaway, his nurses and staff are phenomenal!!!
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Heber Dunaway is an amazing doctor. Hurry and go before he retires.
I felt like a human because Dr. Dunaway is very caring and considerate. He takes time to thoroughly explain and answer all of my questions and concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mrs. Jackie )
Mrs. Jackie is a very helpful, caring nurse, who considers the patients feelings. She patiently answers all of my questions completely, so that I could fully understand.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Initial consultation $215 2-4 day hormones $573 2-4 day ultrasound $170 Infectious disease testing $205 Saline Sonogram $420 Sperm Isolation $265 Infectious disease testing for my husband $ 180 IVF with ICSI will be $15,450
He explained to us the state law requires 40 year old and older can transfer 2 embryos. Under 40 years old, 1 embryo can only be transferred.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Dunaway makes an effort to explain things in laymen’s terms, but like all doctors he doesn’t always succeed, and I’ve learned to keep pushing until I understand...He’s also pleasant and kind...He was thorough in his preliminary testing, and he started us on the least invasive treatments rather than rushing us into things. We did a laparoscopy to correct my tilted uterus, and while in there he discovered unexpected scarring from an old surgery, which he also removed.
The nursing staff in the Baton Rouge Office [of the Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is remarkably responsive and communicates well. I typically am in contact with one nurse, Holly, who seems to be in charge of my file, although occasionally I speak to a different nurse...The first 3 IUIs with the simpler protocol were about $1800 each including medications. The more intensive protocol is about $3000 including medications...
Dr Dunaway has been practicing reproductive endocrinology for many many years and is very knowledgeable. He’s also pleasant and kind, and I trust him to make the right decisions for us in our treatments. He was thorough in his preliminary testing, and he started us on the least invasive treatments rather than rushing us into things. We did a laparoscopy to correct my tilted uterus, and while in there he discovered unexpected scarring from an old surgery, which he also removed. He has been patient and listened to our concerns along the way. When we told him we wanted to try IUI again after 3 failed rounds, he increased our protocol rather than talking us into IVF - and it worked! That round ended in miscarriage, but it was a very encouraging outcome after 1.5 years of trying. Also, we live in New Orleans, which is over an hour from Baton Rouge, and he is very accommodating in letting us get most things done at the local branch of the Fertility Institute.
Do not be afraid to ask questions, including clarification if you don’t understand something. Dr Dunaway makes an effort to explain things in laymen’s terms, but like all doctors he doesn’t always succeed, and I’ve learned to keep pushing until I understand.
Dr Dunaway always makes himself available to me and takes his time answering my questions.
We did 3 IUIs using just Letrozole and a trigger shot followed by progesterone suppositories. All resulted in negative pregnancy tests. The 4th IUI combined Letrozole with Menopur and Ganirelix plus a trigger shot followed by progesterone suppositories, which I responded wel to and get pregnant. I miscarried around 8 weeks due to a blighted ovum. I chose not to do a D&C and my body passed the sac naturally. Dr Dunaway was supportive of my choice.
The nursing staff in the Baton Rouge Office is remarkably responsive and communicates well. I typically am in contact with one nurse, Holly, who seems to be in charge of my file, although occasionally I speak to a different nurse.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
For the most part the Baton Rouge nursing staff is helpful, organized, and compassionate. They are also very responsive. I find that sometimes they are less compassionate than I would like, and sometimes I feel like a number more than a human. But they clearly communicate everything I need to know in terms of medications, appointments, etc.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Dunaway is warm and compassionate. He takes his time with us. My patient experience has been as good as can be expected when going through this journey. I always feel comfortable and in great hands. He was just as upset as we were when our first transfer failed... we did Invocell, not IVF. They go for quality over quantity.... I was monitored carefully and adjusted when needed.
Strengths [of Fertility Inst of NO]: surgical nurses and facilities are amazing. Ive always been comfortable. Weaknesses: the girls that answer the phones that sound like they hate their jobs. I also didn’t like having to walk back and forth from my room to the ultrasound room and then to the surgery room. Not really a big deal, it was just odd.... My nurse was nice and always took care in answering my questions and returning my calls.
Dr Dunaway is warm and compassionate. He takes his time with us. My patient experience has been as good as can be expected when going through this journey. I always feel comfortable and in great hands. He was just as upset as we were when our first transfer failed. We came up with a game plan and are waiting to start the next transfer.
Don’t be discouraged by the girl at the front desk. They aren’t the greatest, but Dr Dunaway is. And don’t go to the Metairie location. They are all over the place.
Dr Dunaway greets me by name, always smiles, takes his time answering my questions and just makes me feel completely comfortable. He is an amazing human.
I don’t know the name of the protocol. I was on Lupron, follistim and Menopur. I was monitored carefully and adjusted when needed. We had 10 follicles, retrieved 9 eggs and ended up with 2 embryos. (It’s important to know we did Invocell, not IVF. They go for quality over quantity).
My nurse was nice and always took care in answering my questions and returning my calls. The staff in the surgical wing is AMAZING, especially the older grey haired woman (I can’t remember her name but it’s something unique). The front desk girls that answer the phone always sound like they hate being at work but they literally just patch you through so I don’t really care about them.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths: surgical nurses and facilities are amazing. Ive always been comfortable. Weaknesses: the girls that answer the phones that sound like they hate their jobs. I also didn’t like having to walk back and forth from my room to the ultrasound room and then to the surgery room. Not really a big deal, it was just odd.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Monitoring was done first thing in the morning. I never had to wait very long except for once when the computers at the Metairie location were down and they basically forgot I was there. Just don’t go to that location. The main BR office was much better and much more efficient.
Our state mandates when you can start transferring multiple. If this next FET fails, we will be allowed to transfer multiples.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
I do feel incredibly comfortable putting my situation in his hands because this doctor really knows his stuff. ... Even when my cycle was heading downhill, he never called me. ... You will never speak to Dr. Dunaway, even via e-mail, unless you make a consult. ... He will not string you along and feed you lies-he knows the business and he researches to stay on top of things. You will have to push a little to find answers for your issues, because he is there to give you difference ways to try and conceive, not really "fix you". ...
The major issue with this clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is the financial aspect. NO ONE will go over the cost and options because a quick IVF consult. So you have a lot of hidden cost that will pop up during a IVF cycle and then you will have no one to talk to about the bills. ... Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is on top of her game with her paperwork, returning calls and giving you information. ... I REALLY wish this clinic has someone that you could meet with before IVF to go over all of your benefits and hidden cost.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
I do feel incredibly comfortable putting my situation in his hands because this doctor really knows his stuff. He will not string you along and feed you lies-he knows the business and he researches to stay on top of things. You will have to push a little to find answers for your issues, because he is there to give you difference ways to try and conceive, not really "fix you". You will not get to see or talk to him often, so be sure to get all your questions out when you have a consult.
I would tell them to always be a advocate for yourself! Ask a million questions and push for what you want to see happen. He knows so much and has been in this business for 35+ years - use him!
Each time I needed a question answered, I would have to only go through his nurse or make a consult, which cost a lot. Even when my cycle was heading downhill, he never called me. Now, when I went to the office for a consult, he was always very informative and up on the latest protocols, which we appreciated. The only real issue I had was lack of connection to the patients. You will never speak to Dr. Dunaway, even via e-mail, unless you make a consult. I have friends at other clinics who have access to their doctor the entire IVF cycle.
We started with IUI's with injectable hormones. We used Gonal F and Menopur and both were failed cycles. Between that, I pushed for a laparoscope to see if I had silent endometriosis because of my low AMH. Turns out, I did have silent stage two endometriosis. I had a chemical the next month and no luck from there. Now, we are in a IVF cycle using the Lupron flare Protocol and my cycle is about to be canceled due to no response.
Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is on top of her game with her paperwork, returning calls and giving you information. She will not show you that much compassion and some answers can be "matter-of-fact" but that is how the infertility game goes.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The major issue with this clinic is the financial aspect. NO ONE will go over the cost and options because a quick IVF consult. So you have a lot of hidden cost that will pop up during a IVF cycle and then you will have no one to talk to about the bills. You will go to checkout and they will tell you that you owe thousands and that is about it. I REALLY wish this clinic has someone that you could meet with before IVF to go over all of your benefits and hidden cost.
IVF was $13,000 and IUI's were $500. He will only use one pharmacy that is pretty expensive, but he feels they are the best quality.
Dr. Dunaway will only do frozen single transfers. The laws in Louisiana are difference from every other state, so you are unable to discard any eggs for any reason.
+ Read more- Read less

We have only seen Dr Dunaway once during our consultation (as we haven’t started treatment yet) but we immediately felt like we were in good hands! He was so willing to help us achieve our goal to have children and answered all questions we had. My husband loved that he showed us around their facility and knew all the details it takes to run such a clinic and shared that with us!
Fertility institute [of New Orleans] has been wonderful so far during our process! I have no question as to why my ob/gyn referred us to them. IVF can seem like a scary process when you don’t know much about it. They have made sure that we are well informed on what will happen, what treatment they think will be best for us, and what steps will be next. I think the thing I have liked most about them is I do always know what step comes next. I’m never left guessing when my next appointment with be or when I will next hear from them! This has been so important as you want to feel like someone is taking this as serious as you are.
Make sure any questions you have about IVF are written down. When getting to the appointment we were so excited to hear what Dr Dunaway was saying and then receiving all the information, we couldn’t remember any of the questions we had. If it is your first time with IVF, like it was for us, it can be a lot of info to absorb at one time.
They have always taken the time to explain everything that goes on during IVF and test results we have had. It is such a huge decision to try IVF and they have made us feel so hopeful and secure.
We have only had our first consultation and tests so I am unfamiliar with the specifics after that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie )
Jackie was the one to call me back about my results for my hormone test. She was very thorough with me about the information and explained any information I wasn’t familiar with.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Fertility institute has been wonderful so far during our process! I have no question as to why my ob/gyn referred us to them. IVF can seem like a scary process when you don’t know much about it. They have made sure that we are well informed on what will happen, what treatment they think will be best for us, and what steps will be next. I think the thing I have liked most about them is I do always know what step comes next. I’m never left guessing when my next appointment with be or when I will next hear from them! This has been so important as you want to feel like someone is taking this as serious as you are.
Our insurance only covers the diagnoses of infertility. They explained to us what that might cover and then gave us a sheet to explain the other cost of IVF.
N/A at this time
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Dunaway] has diagnosed me with high natural killer (NK) cells ... We have met with him 3 times now and I admit that each time gets better and the last time, prior to our first IUI, he did take the time to answer every concern. ... I find him to be pretty frank but can sometimes seem impatient when explaining things - uses acronyms when full words would be more appropriate, rushes through things. ...
it [Fert Inst of NO] still uses paper charts and has no online portal so you have to ask to get your actual numbers for all the routine blood work. My biggest complaint though is that they have no designated billing department designed to talk to patients during their visits ... it is impossible to get an idea of what anything costs. ... I interact primarily with Holly [nurse] and have always found her to be knowledgeable and available
Just a bit of background, Dr. Dunaway is our second RE and we came to him after we moved to the area. We initially sought treatment after two back to back miscarriages. I will readily admit I would prefer my RE to be a woman but due to location, insurance and success rates, he seemed like a decent choice. I find him to be pretty frank but can sometimes seem impatient when explaining things - uses acronyms when full words would be more appropriate, rushes through things. When filling out my paperwork, I put my occupation was a biologist (but I mainly deal with invertebrates and my husband is a professor) so I am not sure if us having a science background influences the way he talks to us. We have met with him 3 times now and I admit that each time gets better and the last time, prior to our first IUI, he did take the time to answer every concern. He has diagnosed me with high natural killer (NK) cells but having done my own research am not fully convinced this a true cause of recurrent miscarriage. He was definitely willing to engage me in a conversation about my concerns, acknowledges that the treatment for high NK cells is experimental and his evidence is largely anecdotal - but he believes it works. I do have to mention, prior to tipping me back in the chair right before he performed my first IUI (only so far), he did ask if I was "ready for my ride?" I found this extremely inappropriate (and see my original comment about preferring a female RE) but what are you going to say to someone who is holding a syringe of your husbands sperm? Do I think he will get us pregnant? Yes. Would I have him over for dinner? Nope.
Brace yourself...and do your homework.
While the nurses (who I interactive the most) are very attentive and my primary nurse definitely knows who I am, there is no doubt that this clinic is pumping woman and couples through with what feels like pretty regimented steps - medicated cycles, IUI, IVF. I feel like you are sorted into a box and if that box doesn't work, you get moved to the next one with little reflection on whether this is really the right box for you. Part of this may come from my own insecurities regarding making the right decisions for my family, but I still feel like a human number.
We came to Dr. Dunaway on letrozole + timed intercourse cycle 3 of 4 that our previous RE had started us on after 2 miscarriages in 3 cycles. That month in addition to the 5mg for 7 days of letrozole we added 4mg/day of Estradiol starting day 12, an 10,000 iu Novarel shot on day 13 after labs and ultrasound looked good and 200 mg/day of Estrase. No pregnancy. The next cycle was anovulatory and I was told I did not respond to the letrozole. I do not have any known issues with ovulation and I really wanted to discuss that it may have been the estrogen, HCG or progesterone that that contributed to the off cycle, but no one was particularly receptive. After weighing our options with Dr. Dunaway, we decided to to try 1-2 IUI cycles before moving on to IVF. My day 3 US did show that that I had a 12mm follicle that they predicted was a cyst but they decided to move forward anyways. We did with 150 iu of Gonal F on days 5-7 and at my day 8 US, I had one follicle at 22mm. My blood work suggested this was not an overstimulated follicle and so I triggered that night with 5,000 iu of Novarel and the IUI was scheduled for the next day, cycle day 9. We are currently 7 days past trigger and 6 days past IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
This practice would not exist without the nursing staff! I interact primarily with Holly and have always found her to be knowledgeable and available when I inevitably forget to to ask something and have to call her back. She is very professional but has expressed genuine support for my husband and I. I have also seen Simone on one occasion and she also took the time to answer all of my questions and gave me as much time as I needed. I have never had an unpleasant interaction with the nurses here.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is nice and well organized but as other reviewers have mentioned, it still uses paper charts and has no online portal so you have to ask to get your actual numbers for all the routine blood work. My biggest complaint though is that they have no designated billing department designed to talk to patients during their visits, so aside from a packet with the IVF costs we were given, it is impossible to get an idea of what anything costs. And even with the packet, that does not put it into the context of your insurance. Our previous RE would not let you leave the office without a trip to the patient billing coordinator and so you never had any surprise costs. The idea is brilliant and shows so much respect for patients. We are fortunate to have good fertility coverage from my employer but I still want to know what everything costs.
Every time I go to the office, I have a copay of $23.90 - $30 per visit and every few visits I have to pay for 2-3 visits (I would prefer to pay each visit). For prescriptions, I pay $10 for 60 pills of Estradiol, and the first cycle I paid $120 total for 24 100mg progesterone suppositories and 10,000 iu of Novarel but the second cycle it was only $60 for both. I paid $35 each for the Gonal F and Centrotide (which I did not end up using). They have yet to process my IUI claim. If we are to get pregnant from the IUI (or IVF in the future) the treatment for the high NK cells is $2500 per bag of immunoglobin which we have been told by Dr. Dunaway insurance will not cover. He recommends 3 bags.
My understanding is the law (not sure if this is federal or Louisiana state) now states that you can only transfer 2 embryos if you are 38 or over and forgo genetic testing (PGS). Prior to this I believe he was pro multiple transfer.
+ Read more- Read less

I’m very early on in treatment but I loved that Dr Dunaway wanted to use Letrozole rather than Chlomid (what my OB suggested) because he knows Letrozole is better for PCOS. I also liked that he suggested an HSG before IUI which I had never even thought of but it makes so much sense!... One of my favorite moments with Dr Dunaway was after my HCG. There I am, sitting up on the table still in the hospital gown, listening to what he has to say and he just gives a quick rub on my foot and pats my leg reassuring me that everything is going to be ok. Like, “Hang in there. We are with you.”
They [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are QUICK. So quick. It amazes me how short the wait is throughout the visit. The staff makes you feel like you are the first person they’ve seen with infertility meaning they sympathize with your story. They are confident and caring.... I can’t speak highly enough of his staff. The ultrasound tech taught me more about PCOS than my OBGYN!... IUI process will be around $1700. HCG was $227 but I think insurance covered it. That’s it so far other than copays (first visit was $120) and medication (no more than $10).
Only reason I rated a 9 was because I’m still pretty new in this process. So far I am very happy. One of my favorite moments with Dr Dunaway was after my HCG. There I am, sitting up on the table still in the hospital gown, listening to what he has to say and he just gives a quick rub on my foot and pats my leg reassuring me that everything is going to be ok. Like, “Hang in there. We are with you.”
Be prepared with your questions.
I felt like Dr Dunaway could have sat there with me for hours YET he didn’t overwhelm me with information nor did he discuss irrelevant information. Also, his staff is unbelievable. The nurse that checked me in told me “just know you have a special place in my heart and I’m praying for you.” She May say this to everyone but I needed to hear it!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly )
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
They are QUICK. So quick. It amazes me how short the wait is throughout the visit. The staff makes you feel like you are the first person they’ve seen with infertility meaning they sympathize with your story. They are confident and caring.

Anovulation, Other, Unexplained
My only hesitation about referring people to Dr.Dunaway is that he didn’t offer ERA procedures as an exploration into recurrent implantation failure. ...I also believe Dr. Dunaway is truly committed to saving patients money and this may play a role in the rationale for this decision. I still strongly recommend him. I think he is brilliant, ethical, and frankly fun to be around. His sympathy with our unexplained failures was evident
[Fert Inst of NO] There is an open 1.5 hour period for labs and cycle related ultrasounds. The wait can take minutes or hours.. Ms. Audrey at reception and Nurse Cindy are exceptionally kind people...All staff are truly wonderful...The only (minor) issue I had was one nurse (who I loved) assuming Dr.Dunaway would do one thing when in fact he would do another. In some cases, before I heard Dr. Dunaway’s actual plan, this caused me unnecessary anxiety.
Anovulation, Other, Unexplained
My only hesitation about referring people to Dr.Dunaway is that he didn’t offer ERA procedures as an exploration into recurrent implantation failure. After several unexplained failed transfers I wanted to turn over every stone, though I also believe Dr. Dunaway is truly committed to saving patients money and this may play a role in the rationale for this decision. I still strongly recommend him. I think he is brilliant, ethical, and frankly fun to be around. His sympathy with our unexplained failures was evident. He was serious about helping us achieve our goal. He took my input seriously and supported my return to iui which finally led to success.
Ask many questions! He will take the time to answer. He seems to appreciate you playing an active role in your care and won’t fault you for being cautious. His opinion will sometimes differ from what his staff will assume it will be, so be vigilant about that.
Dr. Dunaway is so warm and personable. He had a great sense of humor and was candid about some of his own vulnerabilities. My case was frustrating and his joy when we succeeded was evident, as was his pain when we did not succeed. His staff is warm and wonderful.
We were looking to have one more child (after one successful natural pregnancy). He started ivf with medium stimulation to increase our chances of enough viable embryos to create a pregnancy but without many if any leftover embryos. We did follistim and menopur both times. The first cycle he increased my dose to 150 menopur from 75 and kept it at 150 for the second. We stayed with 225 follistim both times. Prior to ivf we did clomid and letrozole iuis. 1 of each drug resulted in chemical pregnancies while another of the clomid iuis was a negative. Our first ivf resulted in 1 high grade PGS normal embryo and our second resulted in 2. All transfers failed. The first two were a standard FET estrogen and PIO transfer protocol. My lining grew thinner by transfer day so for our third we used Gonal-f instead of the standard protocol and my lining cooperated but the transfer failed. We did iui with letrozole and menopur because I had menopur to get rid of and it failed. Our next step was iui with Gonal-f (150 units) and pregnyl trigger and I’m now 6 months with a healthy single baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie and Holly (for different procedures).)
I loved all the nurses especially Jackie and Holly who I worked closely with.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
There is an open 1.5 hour period for labs and cycle related ultrasounds. The wait can take minutes or hours depending on who else shows up on that day. It could be difficult to balance this with your job. It bears asking Dr.Dunaway things you may have asked the nurses- in one instance we learned I was taking a medication unnecessarily. Ms. Audrey at reception and Nurse Cindy are exceptionally kind people who keep the faith for their patients despite bearing witness to their pain. All staff are truly wonderful.
Pleasant waiting area. Great lab and ultrasound staff. My only qualm is the variable wait.
It’s all a blur but I believe we spent about $30 thousand total for 5 iuis, 2 ivfs and 3 transfers.
Dr. Dunaway seemed to favor multiple transfer on the cycle when we had the chance but we chose eSET, primarily because I didn’t want to risk 2 embryos when we had an unexplained failed transfer in our history but also because one of us passionately didn’t want twins.
+ Read more- Read less

We have only met with Dr. Dunaway a few times but every time I have been more than satisfied with our experience. He takes the time to answer your questions, thoroughly explains everything, and treats you as an individual.... We are still early on in our treatment and plan but Dr. Dunaway did suggest that we use IVF w/ ICSI due to our severe male factor. He also suggested that we see a Urologist that specialized in male infertility before we begin and we have been doing that. I loved that he didn't just have us jump right into treatment.
We have only met with Dr. Dunaway a few times but every time I have been more than satisfied with our experience. He takes the time to answer your questions, thoroughly explains everything, and treats you as an individual. I feel 100% confident in continuing our treatment with Dr. Dunaway!
I would make a list of all questions you may have, no matter how small you think they are. Dr. Dunaway will take the time to sit with you and go over your entire list.
Dr. Dunaway is wonderful, he truly cares about you as a patient and will spend as much time as you need answering any of your questions.
Overall the nursing staff has been great, they are compassionate and you can tell they really care about each patient and understand how sensitive and emotional this process can be. Every time I have called with a question or concern I get a call back very quickly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The FINO clinic in Baton Rouge is fairly small but only one doctor is practicing out of this location. My only real complaint is that before I scheduled our first consultation I had called to make sure it would be coded as a consultation because that is the only way my insurance would pay for the visit and they assured me it would, when we went to check out they had coded it as "infertility" which my insurance would not cover and I was required to full pay for that visit on the spot which I wasn't really prepared for. We have also gotten bills in my husbands name that were for me which can be confusing. Dr. Dunaway and his staff are really wonderful, I would just make sure you understand all the financial aspects of your visits.
We haven't fully began treatment yet but when we asked how much IVF w/ ICSI would cost we were told roughly 15k plus medication costs. OUr full pay cost for just a consultation was somewhere around $250 (there was an issue with how this visit was coded so insurance didn't cover)
Dr. Dunaway did educate us on single embryo transfer and explained not only the benefits but how the government in our state has set restrictions on how many you can transfer based on your age.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Dunaway] always started with the most conservative treatment suggestions however listened to you concerns and you and your partners expected time line...Every consult with dr dunaway in person was detailed and amazing, he is great. He replies to emails promptly...Dr Dunaway has compassion for his patients. I’ve never felt rushed in a consult with him. He thoroughly explains procedures. He has years of experience. You are able to communicate with him through personal email and he promptly answers ANY questions the best he can. I would recommend Dr Dunaway.
Anytime I met with the nurse early in the process about taking medication cycles or iui cycles [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], I felt like I was just a number, I always had to figure things out on my own, frequently frustrated with the lack of detail and had surprise cost at check out. The last month has been different, we decided to do invocell/invitro and I got a whole packet of information, cost and an organized folder. It was not just on the process and procedures but on infertility in general. I wish i would have had info with iui cycle. The nurse I saw was very detailed. She answered questions I didn’t even know to ask.
Do you research first to know what questions to ask. You are your biggest advocate.
Every consult with dr dunaway in person was detailed and amazing, he is great. He replies to emails promptly. Anytime I met with the nurse early in the process about taking medication cycles or iui cycles, I felt like I was just a number, I always had to figure things out on my own, frequently frustrated with the lack of detail and had surprise cost at check out. The last month has been different, we decided to do invocell/invitro and I got a whole packet of information, cost and an organized folder. It was not just on the process and procedures but on infertility in general. I wish i would have had info with iui cycle. The nurse I saw was very detailed. She answered questions I didn’t even know to ask.
He always started with the most conservative treatment suggestions however listened to you concerns and you and your partners expected time line.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The sooner you start the sooner you start getting answers. The receptionist is amazing, the clinic would not be the same without her. The nurse Cindy always gives so much detail, wish I could have seen her more. Dr Dunaway is exceptional.
Wish I would have got a price sheet of consult and standard procedure cost.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr dunaway is very personable. Laid back and easy to talk to. Will answer questions honestly, even if it is tough to hear. Delivered bad news in a compassionate way. Thinks out loud in front of you, so you know he’s doing his best to come up with a solution.... Started with injectable IUI with no success. Moved on to ivf, stimulation did not go as planned and we found out I am a poor responder and converted to IUI. Attempted ivf with different protocol and retrieved 2 mature eggs. 1 fertilized and the other did not. Fertilized egg grew perfectly to day 3 then arrested. We were left with no embryos to attempt transfer.
Office [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is clean and quiet. Mrs Audrey at the front desk is amazing. Greets you by name on your way in and your way out every single time. Weakness would be that they do monitoring appointments from 7:30-9:00 on first come first serve basis. So if you’re not there very early in the morning you could be waiting a while.... Jackie was great. She often talks fast and I remember thinking, I’m glad I’m a medical professional because otherwise I would be totally lost. She’s honest about chances but does it in a nice way. Always returns your phone calls.
He is very laid back but very serious about getting you the results you want.
Dr Dunaway would take the time to answer questions. He was compassionate but also honest. Even if I was there for monitoring and needed to ask him something he would be available and happy to help.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Office is clean and quiet. Mrs Audrey at the front desk is amazing. Greets you by name on your way in and your way out every single time. Weakness would be that they do monitoring appointments from 7:30-9:00 on first come first serve basis. So if you’re not there very early in the morning you could be waiting a while.
Monitoring is from 7:30-9:00 on a first come first serve basis. Some days you got lucky and got in and out quick. Other days you may be there for a few hours.
Approx $20,000

2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Dunaway shoots from the hip and remains realistic while also being very kind and personable. Even when delivering bad news you know he is in your corner and willing to explore other options.... Dr. Dunaway used a Lupron Microflare protocol on me because I did not respond incredibly well (had empty follicles and poor grade embryos) from my previous cycle with another doctor. I stimmed very well and my 3 embryos (from 15 eggs) looked great.
The staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is always pleasant and makes you feel as though time is being made for you to be seen.... Strengths: Nice office environment, friendly staff, prompt appointment times. Weaknesses: Huge paper files and lack of computer charting used.... It would be nice if they had a portable for patients to actually view and/or save lab results as well.... Although a good number of people moved in and out, I felt the monitoring appointments were handled well and went fairly quickly.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Dunaway shoots from the hip and remains realistic while also being very kind and personable. Even when delivering bad news you know he is in your corner and willing to explore other options. He also listened to all of my questions even if he did not feel they were relavent to my situation or treatment. He was also available by cell phone and email. I feel he goes above and beyond.
Ditch the huge paper charts and start using electronic medical records. This would save the nurse’s time when going over things like medications. They would only need to click that things were the same instead of writing things out every time. Also, this would allow for lab results to be easily viewed and compared at all times.
The staff is always pleasant and makes you feel as though time is being made for you to be seen. They do not rush you out, and Dr. Dunaway will always listen to your concerns.
Dr. Dunaway used a Lupron Microflare protocol on me because I did not respond incredibly well (had empty follicles and poor grade embryos) from my previous cycle with another doctor. I stimmed very well and my 3 embryos (from 15 eggs) looked great. However, they were all chromosomally abnormal, so we did not move on to transfer.
My nurse is helpful and kind, but she is not warm. She can be a bit blunt and/or desmissive at times as well. Sometimes the nurses seem a bit disorganized.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths: Nice office environment, friendly staff, prompt appointment times. Weaknesses: Huge paper files and lack of computer charting used. Bedside manner can be lacking sometimes with support staff. It would be nice if they had a portable for patients to actually view and/or save lab results as well. Mine were mostly only verbally told to me.
I do not remember specific costs. However, after our failed cycle, Dr. Dunaway did give us a price break for our donor egg FET. Every little bit helps being that we are totally self-pay.
My doctor is open with patients. He feels this is their decision (within reason). However, now with the new guidelines his clinic is most likely exclusively doing single transfers except for in the case of older women.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Dunaway] is kind & compassionate. The first times I went he seemed rushed, but now he seems to take his time & he always asks if I have any questions before he ends the consult. He has a good sense of humor too, and only uses it when appropriate. I am overweight & I worried how he would treat me because of that, but he has been nothing but compassionate. Even when talking about my weight, he is able to do it in a way that doesn't make me feel like a horrible person! I am so happy he is my doctor. I trust him 100%.
The only complaint I have ever had is that they [Fert Inst of NO - BR] don't set appointments for labs/ultrasounds. They just tell everyone to come within a certain time frame in the morning. Because of this there is often a wait. ...I love Mrs. Jackie! She definitely makes me feel like she cares about me & about the outcome of my procedures....For my IVF cycle, I chose Single Cycle Plus which included an egg retrieval and two transfers (the second transfer is included if your first transfer doesn't work or results in a miscarriage). The cost was $12,950.
He is kind & compassionate. The first times I went he seemed rushed, but now he seems to take his time & he always asks if I have any questions before he ends the consult. He has a good sense of humor too, and only uses it when appropriate. I am overweight & I worried how he would treat me because of that, but he has been nothing but compassionate. Even when talking about my weight, he is able to do it in a way that doesn't make me feel like a horrible person! I am so happy he is my doctor. I trust him 100%.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. Even if it seems like he is finished with your consult, he will absolutely stop & answer any questions that you have.
They genuinely care about you, it is very noticeable. Since fall of 2016 when I became a patient there, I have never felt rushed or that the nurse/doctor was annoyed with me in any way. My doctor was waiting when I was wheeled out after my egg retrieval & gave me a high-five. Another time, I started crying when I realized I didn't owe as much money as I thought I did & the receptionist came around the desk & hugged me. And I can hear the sadness in my nurse's voice when she calls with bad news. They seem to get it & they rejoice with you when you get good news, and they are sad with you when you don't. I definitely feel like they want this for me, too.
I love Mrs. Jackie! She definitely makes me feel like she cares about me & about the outcome of my procedures. She's so nice, and I can hear the sadness or excitement in her voice when she calls with bad or good news. I love the entire nursing staff, though. I have worked with Holly, Simone & Cindy, and they've all been so sweet. I worked with Jackie & Simone the most. Angela is the one who draws your blood, and I always laughed & talked with her. Love the staff!
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The only complaint I have ever had is that they don't set appointments for labs/ultrasounds. They just tell everyone to come within a certain time frame in the morning. Because of this there is often a wait. At my last RE office, you had an appointment for everything, and I don't think I ever waited longer than 10 minutes, and it was usually less than that! For procedures the wait wasn't bad, but it could be awhile for the monitoring appointments. That being said... they make up for this one thing in every other area!
It did run smoothly as far as you being called to the back, getting your labs done, getting your ultrasound done, and checking out - however, the wait before you were called to the back could be a bit long.
For my IVF cycle, I chose Single Cycle Plus which included an egg retrieval and two transfers (the second transfer is included if your first transfer doesn't work or results in a miscarriage). The cost was $12,950. This didn't include the consult which was around $210. It also didn't include some tests/labs that add up to be about $1200 (although you don't have to do these if they've been done already at a previous clinic within the last year). And it doesn't include meds which can range from $5-$7k (or more if you do not respond to the meds). Plus we chose to do ICSI which was another $1200.
For me, he always transferred 2 at a time, that was his stance & his protocol for a long time unless the individual situation caused him to only transfer one. However, now he can only transfer one due to Louisiana regulations, unless you are over a certain age (I think 38).
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Dunaway is a brilliant physician and surgeon. ... I did a cycle of Invocell. It's basically a mini IVF with fewer medications and the goal is less eggs retrieved. ... The whole process seemed very easy on my body and easy overall. The goal is to produce a lower amount of embryos which was important for me since I do not want to have to decide what to do with any remaining embryos.
My clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is very patient oriented and you do not feel like just a number when you are there. ... During procedures the entire team made me feel at ease and relaxed. ... The only thing I could suggest to better my experience is to have a patient portal where I could see results or send messages to the staff ... I could come in [for monitoring] when it was best for me and I could go right into work afterwards. It was great. ...
Dr. Dunaway is a brilliant physician and surgeon. He is also an innovator and pioneer of the field of fertility. This is what initially drew me to Dr. Dunaway. He offered a new and more cost effective treatment that was the first of it's kind in Louisiana.
Trust the process and trust your doctor. He has been around for a while and truly cares and knows what he is doing.
Dr. Dunaway and his team are very warm and answer any questions I may have and always promptly return any calls. During procedures the entire team made me feel at ease and relaxed.
I did a cycle of Invocell. It's basically a mini IVF with fewer medications and the goal is less eggs retrieved. The incubation happens within a device that the patient Carrie's around inside. The whole process seemed very easy on my body and easy overall. The goal is to produce a lower amount of embryos which was important for me since I do not want to have to decide what to do with any remaining embryos.
Jackie is quick to respond to any questions I may have and explains everything to me when I have doubts. She is absolutely compassionate and knowledgeable in her field.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
My clinic is very patient oriented and you do not feel like just a number when you are there. The only thing I could suggest to better my experience is to have a patient portal where I could see results or send messages to the staff.
I could come in when it was best for me and I could go right into work afterwards. It was great.
The cost for my care was inclusive of the ivf treatment and meds and monitoring. It was about half the cost of traditional ivf.
I was strongly in agreement with Dr. Dunaway's recommendation to only transfer knee embryo at a time. I believe this significantly reduces risks to mother and child as well as reduces the risk of multiple pregnancies.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Dunaway always seemed like he wanted the best and to give our last donor egg IVF cycle the best chance we could. He seemed genuinely upset and shocked when we miscarried and told us a personal story of how his daughter miscarried at the same stage and assured me I did nothing wrong and tested me right away instead of waiting for multiple miscarriages.... He also saw things my previous clinic had not, he found my uterus was covered in polyps and my old clinic never saw them and transferred an embryo anyway.
The staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is wonderful, they are all very good at their unique individual jobs. They’re knowledgeable, caring and attentive to details. A new patient may want to know that bloodwork and ultrasounds are first come first serve in the morning so get there early!!... Ms. Jackie and all of the other staff here are incredible here! Ms. Jackie has been with Dr. Dunaway for over twenty years and has invaluable experience. She is extremely thorough and fully explains the process and makes sure that you are comfortable and fully know what to expect.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
After our very first consultation with Dr. Dunaway I looked at my husband and told him I wished we had found him sooner. He has a plethora of experience and a great bedside manner. He is thorough and determined in what he is doing and it shows in the work that he does.
My advice would to be to go see him with any fertility concerns as soon as possible. He will be honest and give you the best options with how to navigate through your infertility issues. He sees you as a person and his ultimate goal is to see you succeed! He also saw things my previous clinic had not, he found my uterus was covered in polyps and my old clinic never saw them and transferred an embryo anyway.
When we came to see Dr. Dunaway we had made the decision to use donor eggs, we had had two failed IVF’s prior with our previous Doctor. We had 6 donor eggs which resulted in 2 beautiful embryos. Prior to transfer I was on birth control for about 5 weeks, then Lupron for two weeks, estradiol valetate injections twice a week, baby aspirin, estrogen patches and we started progesterone in oil injections 6 days before transfer. We kept the PIO injections going up until I was 8 weeks pregnant, then switched to protestors suppositories 3x a day. We also had stopped the estrogen injections by week 7 and switched to an oral tablet once a day. His protocol had worked and we were pregnant but unfortunately we lost the baby the week we were supposed to be released from his care at 10 weeks. He tested me for immune disordes, blood clotting disorders but everything came out normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Jackie)
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The staff is wonderful, they are all very good at their unique individual jobs. They’re knowledgeable, caring and attentive to details. A new patient may want to know that bloodwork and ultrasounds are first come first serve in the morning so get there early!!
Luckily I had good insurance and had to only cover a deductible and max out of pocket, which totaled $4000. This was our third IVF and have now exhausted all of our benefits.
Dr. Dunaway advises to transfer one embryo, we only had two to start with. At first I wanted to transfer two but I was so thankful in the end that I only transferred the one.
+ Read more- Read less

So far, we have only done one IUI cycle with Dr. Dunaway. My IUI fell on a Saturday, which only one location was open so another doctor performed the IUI. I have not seen Dr. Dunaway since our consultation. I assume this is routine with IUI cycles. We have been very satisfied with the nurse we see each visit....Our first IUI cycle we used 100 mg of Clomid. I had used 50 mg in the past so he felt a higher dosage was needed. Two rounds of IUI were suggested due to our male factor infertility of low motility and morphology.
We have been very impressed with the wait time. We are in and out in no time, which is a huge plus since we drive over an hour away and have to get back to work. The receptionist [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is very sweet and always makes us feel welcome. The ultrasound techs are very knowledgeable in their field and answer any questions we have. I can't think of any weaknesses!... We were told the cycle fee would be $850 for IUI. Medications cost about $175, ultrasounds/monitoring cost about $350 (insurance covered some)
So far, we have only done one IUI cycle with Dr. Dunaway. My IUI fell on a Saturday, which only one location was open so another doctor performed the IUI. I have not seen Dr. Dunaway since our consultation. I assume this is routine with IUI cycles. We have been very satisfied with the nurse we see each visit. We plan to move on to IVF if this second IUI is unsuccessful so I know we will see Dr. Dunaway again at that time. I feel he will address all of our concerns and explain the IVF process thoroughly should we decide to take that route.
Go see him! He is very knowledgeable and stays up to date on all the latest technology and advances in fertility treatments. Very kind and caring doctor.
Although the clinic is very busy, I feel all of my questions are answered and I don't usually feel rushed.
Our first IUI cycle we used 100 mg of Clomid. I had used 50 mg in the past so he felt a higher dosage was needed. Two rounds of IUI were suggested due to our male factor infertility of low motility and morphology. The first IUI was unsuccessful and I developed cysts from the Clomid. This next cycle, he switched me to Femara 7.5 mg, which I start today! I was prescribed the hcg trigger shot for both cycles, and this time we are adding progesterone suppositories.
Holly is very informative in the field and answers all of our questions each visit. We feel comfortable with her and think she's really nice and caring.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
We have been very impressed with the wait time. We are in and out in no time, which is a huge plus since we drive over an hour away and have to get back to work. The receptionist is very sweet and always makes us feel welcome. The ultrasound techs are very knowledgeable in their field and answer any questions we have. I can't think of any weaknesses!
We were told the cycle fee would be $850 for IUI. Medications cost about $175, ultrasounds/monitoring cost about $350 (insurance covered some) and we had a credit on our account from previous services so we only had to pay $385 the day of the procedure. So the estimate they gave was pretty close, no surprises.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Dunaway knows his stuff....Friendly, easy to talk to, although he may simplify the process when explaining. I wasn't always sure what to expect next, if my side effects/symptoms were normal, if my results were as expected, etc...Bring someone to appointments to make sure you both understand his explanations. He is very friendly and can easily bustle in and out of the room before you realize you did ask the questions you intended to!
The clinic and Nurses [at Fert Institute of NO] were easy to get in touch with. They recognized me by site, and they were always friendly. On occasion, I did feel like maybe they were a little jaded to the process. They would explain things so matter of factly, at times skipping over the mental or emotional Aspect of the process....Organized, friendly staff. Good location in central Baton Rouge. Expensive...Jackie has been doing this forever. Very organized, straight forward, calm.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Dunaway knows his stuff. He is worth going to just by his success rate alone. Friendly, easy to talk to, although he may simplify the process when explaining. I wasn't always sure what to expect next, if my side effects/symptoms were normal, if my results were as expected, etc.
Trust his opinion, but if you are detail-oriented, have all questions ready to go! Bring someone to appointments to make sure you both understand his explanations. He is very friendly and can easily bustle in and out of the room before you realize you did ask the questions you intended to!
The clinic and Nurses were easy to get in touch with. They recognized me by site, and they were always friendly. On occasion, I did feel like maybe they were a little jaded to the process. They would explain things so matter of factly, at times skipping over the mental or emotional Aspect of the process.
I should have kept notes. Lots of Lupron. Gonal and menopur for retrieval--doses changed often based on ultrasound and labs. A few oral meds to avoid OHSS after retrieval. I wanted to try a fresh transfer but they did not allow it due to my lab levels. For transfer, estradiol IM and patches, then added in IM progesterone. After transfer, added baby aspirin for a while. Switched IM progesterone to vaginal suppository. Stopped all meds at 10 weeks. Weekly ultrasounds until I "graduated" to regular ob at 10 weeks.
Jackie has been doing this forever. Very organized, straight forward, calm. Go in to appointments with questions ready to go so she isn't in and out. Very clear on directions, but can skim over side effects and emotional aspects of fertility treatment. Overall impression, they aren't there to baby you-they are there to get you pregnant.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Organized, friendly staff. Good location in central Baton Rouge. Expensive but they are the best in our area, so I do not regret going to them first.
Ultrasounds and labs were scheduled in the mornings. Quick and efficient. Ultrasound and lab techs are very friendly. I always picked up new information from the ultrasound techs during my ultrasounds. (Sometimes they mentioned things I feel like I should have known about from the nurse! I wish I remember a good example of this.)
1 egg retrieval with 2 transfers cost about 12,000. ICSI was another $2000, roughly. Med cost was not included in this. I paid half up front, then the other half later on, I believe close to my transfer date.
Standard for my age was 2 embryo transfers, which I was fine with.

Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Dunaway actually takes the time to plan a path for you and your partner while explaining his reasoning and then asks your opinion. I felt like I had a say so in what they were doing...Dr. Dunaway is caring and compassionate, but not clueless. He gives you the results straightforward, but also has a plan to follow...Fertility pills for our first cycle which resulted in a negative pregnancy test, but wanted to see my body's reaction to the pills.
It's not going to be perfect, but the clinic [Fert Inst of NO] does everything they can to help you. Every person has different issues and I believe Dr. Dunaway and staff do everything they can to assist and care for you and your future pregnancy...[Nursing staff] Absolutely wonderful. Caring and always a pleasure to see...he staff has also went out of their way to help my situation when needed by squeezing me in at the last minute... It has been expensive, but when Dunaway can he will help you.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
My statement from the human vs number will be the same answer. He is caring and compassionate, but straightforward with issues. He always has a plan ready if one plan didn't work out the way we hoped.
Don't waste your time seeing a OB/GYN. Let Dr. Dunaway help you get where you want to be quicker. He is amazing!
Dr. Dunaway actually takes the time to plan a path for you and your partner while explaining his reasoning and then asks your opinion. I felt like I had a say so in what they were doing. The staff has also went out of their way to help my situation when needed by squeezing me in at the last minute. Dr. Dunaway is caring and compassionate, but not clueless. He gives you the results straightforward, but also has a plan to follow.
Fertility pills for our first cycle which resulted in a negative pregnancy test, but wanted to see my body's reaction to the pills. IUI with shots- my body didn't react enough to the pills. First time with shots I ovulated early which resulted in a negative pregnancy test and another medicine being added the next go around. 2 more cycles both with a negative pregnancy test. Surgery followed to see if their were blockages or other issues. IVF is our next step. Unfortunately, we have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly and then Jackie)
Absolutely wonderful. Caring and always a pleasure to see even though infertility is extremely hard to deal with.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
It's not going to be perfect, but the clinic does everything they can to help you. Every person has different issues and I believe Dr. Dunaway and staff do everything they can to assist and care for you and your future pregnancy.
I have no cover under insurance for infertility and unexplained infertility. It has been expensive, but when Dunaway can he will help you.
+ Read more- Read less

I really like Dr. Dunaway. His communication and personality are a very good fit for me. I prefer direct and to the point communication. I like that he kind of thinks out loud when we talk...that lets me know he's weighing different options about the protocol he's giving me and not just sticking to a cookie-cutter plan. He tells me the truth, asks me questions, asks if I am comfortable with what he's telling me to do or medicine to take. I feel like he communicates clearly and that is very important.
Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is the one that I talk to the most. She is kind, caring, and gentle in her delivery of information...Since I won the half off IVF, I was charged half of the costs. My total was around $7,500 - that included freezing all embryos and 1 transfer, so I would guess the costs would be around $14-15k (plus medicine). The ultrasounds that I had after my positive pregnancy test were paid separately..... They are all so kind, everyone on staff seems very knowledgeable, their office, exam rooms, operating facilities, lab, etc. are all state of the art fantastic. The receptionist, Ms. Audrey, she is absolutely precious. She was always very upbeat and encouraging every time I saw her. I am very impressed and grateful for the care I received.
I just "graduated" from the clinic and am 10 weeks pregnant! Dr. Dunaway is an excellent doctor. He's the second RE that I've seen, and I trust him. Still ask questions if there's something you don't understand, but he explained things before I even needed to ask most of the time.
The staff at the Fertility Institute-BR are SO precious! I live 4 hours away from the clinic and they are so sweet and accommodating. They know my name, ask me how I'm doing, talk about real life, etc.
I was on Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, and the medicine used for trigger just completely left my brain. I'm thinking it was Bravelle? I cannot remember, sorry! It was a very straightforward protocol. They provided me with a calendar so that I could fill it in with the info from each visit - this was super helpful. My egg retrieval was in June 2016 and my transfer was supposed to be in September 2016. We started FET protocol, but my body went crazy with estrogen and my transfer had to be cancelled because my lining was too thick. My lining was a 17 for my first monitoring appointment. Ideally they want it to be around 9-12 by the time you transfer, so mine was WAY too thick. Dr. Dunaway personally came to chat with me and the IVF coordinator, Jackie. He specifically said that he hated to cancel my transfer, but that I have really good embryos and he doesn't want to waste my embryos on not-ideal lining. I was disappointed, but I trusted that he was doing what was best for me and my embryos. I was instructed to stop all meds and call when my cycle started. It didn't start for 4 weeks, so I just went back for them to check me, and they gave me Provera to make my period start. Dr. Dunaway adjusted my meds from estrogen injections & patches to just an oral dose of Estrace twice a day. My lining was looking good, but a little on the thicker side, so they moved my transfer date one day sooner. We transferred 2 embryos and I stayed on PIO injections for 6 weeks, then switched to Endometrium inserts for another 3 weeks (until I was 10 weeks pregnant). I was also still taking Estrace twice a day up until 10 weeks.
Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is the one that I talk to the most. She is kind, caring, and gentle in her delivery of information. She does kind of talk fast, but when I ask her to repeat something she will even say, "I'm sorry I'm talking so fast..." then she will repeat or answer whatever question I have. The ultrasound girls are super sweet. They always talk to me, ask me how I'm doing, talk about the day, etc. I probably ask them the most questions while they are doing my ultrasound, "what's that? is that a good thing? why does that look like that? how do you know that the blob is a follicle and not a cyst?" they are always SO sweet and answer every single question...and they don't make me feel like I'm bothering them by asking. Another nurse that I've seen is Simone. She was there on my retrieval day & transfer day. She was really kind and caring. I don't remember the names of the other nurses who were there for my pre-op and post-op retrieval, but they were very sweet.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic participated with an organization called Sarah's Laughter. SL hosts a Baby Steps fun run every year where they give away a $10k grant to one couple, and The Fertility Institute gave away a FREE IVF cycle. At Baby Steps 2015, Dr. Dunaway saw how many people had participated, so he gave away an additional half off IVF, 2 free IUIs, and a few free consultations. I signed up for Baby Steps and created a "race team". My name was chosen for the half off IVF cycle. Without Dr. Dunaway's generosity, I don't think I would be pregnant right now. At this point, I really cannot think of any weaknesses. They are all so kind, everyone on staff seems very knowledgeable, their office, exam rooms, operating facilities, lab, etc. are all state of the art fantastic. The receptionist, Ms. Audrey, she is absolutely precious. She was always very upbeat and encouraging every time I saw her. I am very impressed and grateful for the care I received.
They prefer for you to be there between 7-9am. I live 4 hours away and would leave my house around 5am to get there at least by 9am. They were very understanding if I was late and were able to see me immediately. One time I completely slept through my alarms. I got on the road as fast as I could and called when they opened and told them what happened. They said it wasn't a big deal and as long as I was there by 11:30, it wouldn't be a problem. I was there at 10:50 and they called me right to the back. Even with the flooding in Baton Rouge, they didn't close and still saw patients as scheduled.
New Orleans
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Dunaway was always cheerful and friendly. He spent as much time as we needed during each appointment and I never once felt rushed to leave. He made me feel as though I was his only (and favorite) patient. Dr. Dunaway went above and beyond to answer questions and explain treatment protocol. His confidence helped ease any anxiety I had.... We elected to transfer two embryos based on preference and statistics and it resulted in a single pregnancy.
I love this clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans-Baton Rouge] and have nothing negative to say! Expect friendly faces and personal dialogue from everyone involved from the moment you check in to the time you leave. The clinic is state of the art, professional and very inviting.... All of the nurses and coordinators were very quick to call me with lab results and answer all of my questions. They were very thorough and spent as much time with me as I needed
Trust him and don't be afraid to ask questions. He is extremely compassionate while quickly getting to the point. He's not going to waste your time or money.
Dr. Dunaway and his staff were always personable and friendly! They made me and my husband feel like we were part of their family.
Dr. Dunaway began with an HSG to ensure my tubes weren't blocked and proceeded with an IUI with injectables due to my history of failed response with Clomid and letrozole. We used Gonal-F and Cetrotide that matured five follicles but the IUI was not successful. We decided to go to IVF with ICSI and after a saline sonogram I began stim protocol using Follistim, Menopur and lupron. I had monitoring appointments almost every day due to medication adjustments before my egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie, Simone, Holly)
All of the nurses and coordinators were very quick to call me with lab results and answer all of my questions. They were very thorough and spent as much time with me as I needed.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I love this clinic and have nothing negative to say! Expect friendly faces and personal dialogue from everyone involved from the moment you check in to the time you leave. The clinic is state of the art, professional and very inviting.
Monitoring appointments for ultrasounds and labs are done in a two hour window first thing in the morning. They provided hours before work so schedules were not inconvenient.
Of the the 8 eggs fertilized, 2 were frozen on day five and 2 more were frozen on day six. We elected to transfer two embryos based on preference and statistics and it resulted in a single pregnancy.
+ Read more- Read less

This is the first doctor, we've seen for infertility, that actually dug deep to find out what was wrong with me & didn't treat us with a "standard" ivf cycle. ... Dr Dunaway discovered that I have immune deficiencies. He ordered an IV therapy session before my embryo transfer ... I could see his passion for wanting to help couples become families. ... Dr Dunaway follows the law to a t. Although, he understood our desire to transfer 2 embryos, the law dictates that (in our situation) we can only do 1 at a time.
I feel that the clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is filled with a ton of very knowledgeable team members, who really want to see each couple bring home a baby. They treat each couple on an individual basis, which is super important, since no two cases of infertility are the same. From the receptionist to the Dr's, everyone is top knotch. ... The entire staff are very helpful & compassionate.
I met Dr Dunaway at an infertility support group meeting, where he came to speak about Invocell. I don't qualify for Invocell, but through his speech, I could see his passion for wanting to help couples become families. It was at that moment, I knew we needed to meet with Dr Dunaway.
Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want. He'll not only give you his time, but he'll dig deeper to find out the root of your problem & find a solution.
Dr Dunaway discovered that I have immune deficiencies. He ordered an IV therapy session before my embryo transfer, which helps increase the success of a transfer (it's not 100%, but can increase the odds). Unfortunately, it didn't work for me & I'm currently in the middle of my 2nd miscarriage.
The entire staff are very helpful & compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I feel that the clinic is filled with a ton of very knowledgeable team members, who really want to see each couple bring home a baby. They treat each couple on an individual basis, which is super important, since no two cases of infertility are the same. From the receptionist to the Dr's, everyone is top knotch.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
I had high natural killer cells so once we got pregnant we had to undergo testing [with Dr. Dunaway] to see how high my natural killer cells were and then complete three rounds of IVIG treatment to keep my body from fighting off the fetus until my placenta took over... was very aggressive with his plan for my treatments. He also did a great job of laying out all the options and talking through possible scenarios. Dr Dunaway was present for every appointment and ultrasound. He clearly set expectations for my next appointment and was honest on what to expect!
The whole process [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] was a positive one for me despite the reason we had to be there. Some of the nurses could have taken more time to explain things but as a whole they were encouraging and helpful. If also felt like they were truly rooting for you!...On my initial visit I wished that the nurse would have done a better job of breaking down the tests that needed to be run. I felt overwhelming and confused. After that visit, the nurses were great. They called quickly with test results and helped me understand what they meant. They were also fabulous once we got pregnant throughout visits and ultrasounds!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
Dr Dunaway was very aggressive with his plan for my treatments. He also did a great job of laying out all the options and talking through possible scenarios. Dr Dunaway was present for every appointment and ultrasound. He clearly set expectations for my next appointment and was honest on what to expect!
Be prepared for complete honesty. He is warm and kind but does not sugar coat anything.
We did not use any treatment to get pregnant. I had high natural killer cells so once we got pregnant we had to undergo testing to see how high my natural killer cells were and then complete three rounds of IVIG treatment to keep my body from fighting off the fetus until my placenta took over.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The whole process was a positive one for me despite the reason we had to be there. Some of the nurses could have taken more time to explain things but as a whole they were encouraging and helpful. If also felt like they were truly rooting for you!
I paid for most of my initial testing out of pocket. After that, his office did a great job coding my visits so that they were covered.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Dunaway was very kind and informative. He seemed to care about trying to figure of my unexplained secondary fertility of 4 years. Good bed side manner, much better than previous doctors. He was quick to suggest surgery but I believe he really thought it would help my situation...Iui with oral medications...All 3 ended in negative pregnancy tests...Office visits are fairly time consuming, longer waits then expected on a few occasions.
[Fertility Institute of New Orleans is] Clean and accommodating...Sometime long wait times...My fourth cycle was cancelled due to Zika, the problem with this was I had to go in for an appointment, charged for an ultrasound, waited 20 minutes to speak with the nurse, to then only be told th cycle would have to be cancelled. I feel that this information should have been discussed prior to my appointment
Dr Dunaway was kind and very informative. Good bed side manner, much better than previous doctors. He was quick to suggest surgery but I believe he really thought it would help my situation. Unfortunately, 4.5 years of infertility and we are still not pregnant
Office visits are fairly time consuming, longer waits then expected on a few occasions. If you are doing a iui, have your husband collect the sample at the office and not off premise. The wait to collect my husbands sample was extremely long and I feel it may have cost us a successful cycle
Dr Dunaway was very kind and informative. He seemed to care about trying to figure of my unexplained secondary fertility of 4 years. His nurse is nice but is a bit dry and not overly helpful.
Iui with oral medications. It was our third iui and medications where champagne increased each cycle. All 3 ended in negative pregnancy tests
Nice but not overly helpful or caring. Felt more like a number with the nurse staff
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Clean and accommodating Sometime long wait times My fourth cycle was cancelled due to Zika, the problem with this was I had to go in for an appointment, charged for an ultrasound, waited 20 minutes to speak with the nurse, to then only be told th cycle would have to be cancelled. I feel that this information should have been discussed prior to my appointment
Approximately: Ultrasounds- $200 x 4-5 Blood work- $1,000 Medications- $1,000 IUI- $700 Sperm testing- $400

Endometriosis, Other
I met Dr. Dunaway on a Friday and he performed a laparoscopy/hysteroscopy on Monday. He told my husband different findings than he told me as it relates to my endometriosis and ashermans syndrome. I went to New York to do IVF as it was the only affordable option for me at the time. I was monitored by Dr. Dunaway's office. Once they found out IVF failed, they sent me a certified letter dismissing me from his care.
The nursing staff [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans-Baton Rouge] was overall kind and tried to be helpful. Dr. Dunaway's nurse was very slow and unorganized. She kept getting my medical records confused with someone else.... The clinic was clean and organized. However you will be dismissed from Dr. Dunaway's care if you have a failed IVF on your record. You are a number to him, not a person. Friends and other doctors are appalled when I tell them what he did.
Endometriosis, Other
Don't tell Dr. Dunaway if you get a second opinion or do a procedure elsewhere as he won't accept due to it affecting his numbers.
Dr. Dunaway treated me like a number. Once I had a failed IVF done in New York, Dr. Dunaway sent me a certified letter releasing me from his care. Dr. Dunaway performed a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy well for me but we never got to IVF due to the above reason.
The nursing staff was overall kind and tried to be helpful. Dr. Dunaway's nurse was very slow and unorganized. She kept getting my medical records confused with someone else.
$2000 for hysteroscopy and laparoscopy and it was covered by insurance

PCOS, Unexplained
We’ve only met with Dunaway during our consultation and procedures. Every other time I only see or speak to nurses. When test results are called in, it’s always by his nurses. He seemed to be very positive and compassionate about our situation, but I felt like he just puts all the information to the nurses... Expect to speak to nurses more than him, but that he’s ALWAYS present during appointments
[Fertility Institute of New Orleans] Organized, friendly to time constraints, available after hours (weekends especially). Assign only specific nurses to certain procedures (IUI vs IVF), which is nice to know exactly who you’re dealing with... Approximately $1500 for an IUI, including all costs of tests, procedures and medication... When test results are called in, it’s always by his nurses....No social skills or compassion, but extremely organized
PCOS, Unexplained
Our history was known before we even met for our consults and our cycles three months in advanced were planned out day by day
Increasing my Letrozole dosage (three time as high) and including progesterone suppositories and a hormone injection, all before proceeding with IUI
No social skills or compassion, but extremely organized

2014 - 2019
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Dunaway is very knowledgeable. He has completed several procedures for me where I’ve felt very comfortable and he’s given me some hope in my fertility journey. I would definitely recommend him to others...We haven’t began cycles yet as we are waiting for my husband motility to increase. But talking to Dr. Dunaway has given us hope that we will be able to conceive through IUI or IVF...tells you your options using research and statistics. I felt like he was talking to me and not at me.
The nurses [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are very nice, but I feel like I didn’t get a lot of explanations for certain things and I would have to call back several times to ask questions...I have paid $160 for consultations because my insurance doesn’t cover fertility. I haven’t received any billing from them from my ultrasound and bloodwork that was completed last month...The clinic as a whole is awesome. From the lab tech to the ultrasound tech and the receptionist, they are all very friendly. The office is welcoming and inviting. I also like the fact that I know what I have to pay upfront or possibly pay.
2014 - 2019
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Take a list of questions that you would like to ask him and his nurses.
Dr. Dunaway tells you your options using research and statistics. I felt like he was talking to me and not at me.
The nurses are very nice, but I feel like I didn’t get a lot of explanations for certain things and I would have to call back several times to ask questions.

Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Dunaway took time to listen to our concerns and really look through our file. We went through where we were and what we wanted our next steps to be. He understands that financial impact and has not pushed us to start the process and let us go at our own pace. ... He is ready when we are but understands that we are seeing a urologist for the male factor before we take another step.
Calming entrance and nurses and staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are suoer nice. They return phone calls ina timely fashion and are understanding when giving you news that is hard to accept. I would fully recommend them to anyone and already have a few people checking them out. Dr Dunnaway and staff also participate in sarahs laughter walks and donate many funds and treatments to winners of the raffles.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Relax. The process of infertility is stressful and we found him calming. It was nice to be seen as we are and not just another patient get through the door.
He took tome to talk to each of us and listen to us like we are people.
We are still in the process of finding funding for the projected ivf with isci. I went through the bloodwork testing and the ultrasounds. He works with obgyn as I had a surgery to correct a potential problem. He is ready when we are but understands that we are seeing a urologist for the male factor before we take another step.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Calming entrance and nurses and staff are suoer nice. They return phone calls ina timely fashion and are understanding when giving you news that is hard to accept. I would fully recommend them to anyone and already have a few people checking them out. Dr Dunnaway and staff also participate in sarahs laughter walks and donate many funds and treatments to winners of the raffles.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Dunaway] is a great doctor. He means well in all he does. He is sometimes quick and to the point but if you ask questions he will explain with as much detail as you like. He has always treated me kindly. He was very concerned when we had our miscarriage and did several test to see if he could find a reason why it didn't work. ... Ask questions of you don't understand. He sometimes uses big words/terms and I would ask what they meant.
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] has a great staff. They are always helpful and polite and compassionate. They go put of their way to help you if you need it. Sometimes they are quick to answer your questions so it is necessary to make sure you fully understand what they are saying. ... The nurses are sometimes quick tone point when you meet with them or talk on the phone. Make sure to ask questions so you know exactly what's going on with your cycle.
He is a great doctor. He means well in all he does. He is sometimes quick and to the point but if you ask questions he will explain with as much detail as you like. He has always treated me kindly. He was very concerned when we had our miscarriage and did several test to see if he could find a reason why it didn't work.
He is very warm hearted and wants everyone to be able to go home with a baby.
Don't remember specific details.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie and Simone)
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic has a great staff. They are always helpful and polite and compassionate. They go put of their way to help you if you need it. Sometimes they are quick to answer your questions so it is necessary to make sure you fully understand what they are saying.
We had some insurance coverage so things were more affordable for us.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Dunaway is very knowledgeable and always seemed to be understanding with every obstacle we encountered. He knows us by name and I always feel like he truly cared on a personal level. We have done 3 IUIs with him and all have failed, with each failed attempt, he has come back with a different game plan.... We do ultrasound on day 2, letrozole on 3-7. Another ultrasound on CD 10 and IUI on CD15-17... Be open to his opinions, do your research, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
The staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is amazing. They are quick to answer questions and always show compassion. The receptionist, Audrey, has come around the counter hugged and prayed with me. I can;t say enough good things about the staff.... Dr. Dunaway is very knowledgeable and always seemed to be understanding with every obstacle we encountered. He knows us by name and I always feel like he truly cared on a personal level. We have done 3 IUIs with him and all have failed, with each failed attempt, he has come back with a different game plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Simone)
The staff is amazing. They are quick to answer questions and always show compassion. The receptionist, Audrey, has come around the counter hugged and prayed with me. I can;t say enough good things about the staff.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
As a new patient I went in very prepared with a folder I made of all previous workups and tests. Dr. Dunaway immediately looked into my results and gave me a game plan from day one of meeting him. We talked about what I was/wasn't comfortable with and I left feeling confident.
iui-500 medicated cycle-885
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Dunaway was a lifesaver. He did every test to figure out what was wrong with me- and he was incredibly confident in my treatment. I had never seen a male doctor before, and I instantly felt comfortable with him. His warm demeanor, years of knowledge and expertise, and sense of humor helped us get through the tough times. I would recommend him and his staff without hesitation.
$1100 each round of IUI with meds [at Fertility Institute of New Orelans]...Great staff. Friendly and warm. Make appointments ahead of time- be prepared. Didn’t have to wait long. Very efficient and professional. Loved everyone- Ms. Audrey was super sweet and kind. Ms. Angela (who took the blood) was the absolute best!!! She helped me feel calm and cared for...Absolutely loved Holly!!! So sweet and kind. Saw a couple of others at the office and they were all wonderful.
JUST GO.
Everyone always greeted me by name. Super kind and caring staff. Felt comfortable day 1.
Frequent blood tests to see my thyroid and prolactin from my tumor. Medicated cycles with trigger shots and IUIs. He gave us the option of IUIs, but we wanted to do them. Got pregnant on the second round.
$1100 each round of IUI with meds
+ Read more- Read less
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
As a patient, I felt that he [Dr. Dunaway] was extremely intelligent and that there were many options that he wanted to try. As far as showing compassion, I found a lot of the times it was more about money than digging deep into our case.... I felt like my wife was treated as a number simply because a lot of the times we got information before the doctor remembered that we were a couple with morphology issues and low ovarian reserve
The front desk lady [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is extremely nice, the nurses are OK and the good thing is that they will return your calls promptly, you won’t see your doctor that often the nurses do most of the work. When you do see him he is extremely intelligent and has been in the field for a very long time.... I don’t feel like the nursing staff was very friendly or showed a lot of compassion. If anything, I felt uncomfortable as a husband.
As a patient, I felt that he was extremely intelligent and that there were many options that he wanted to try. As far as showing compassion, I found a lot of the times it was more about money than digging deep into our case.
This doctor has a very good reputation for achieving pregnancies, in my case it was not very good.
We did a few months on Clomid, then we did a few months just are you IUIs and then we did a medicated round all resulting in negatives.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The front desk lady is extremely nice, the nurses are OK and the good thing is that they will return your calls promptly, you won’t see your doctor that often the nurses do most of the work. When you do see him he is extremely intelligent and has been in the field for a very long time.
$4000 for medicated cycle with Gonal F and then 500 per IUI
+ Read more- Read less
Dr Dunaway offered his email for us to send in any additional questions and was very ready to answer and and all we asked. ... When we met for the consultation he seemed very knowledgeable and concerned as to why we have not had success. He truly seemed like he wants to put together a plan based on previous attempts to help us conceive. ... We haven’t started the actual IVF cycle yet, but the initial appointment and workup was very smooth.
Great office [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] and atmosphere. Friendly staff and knowledgeable doctor [Dr. Dunaway]. ... You feel as if you are somewhere where they know what they are doing. It has a warm, welcoming tone and smiling faces to greet you. ... The nursing staff I was in contact with were all very attentive and nice. Very personable and seemed to be willling to help. ...
We haven’t started the actual IVF cycle yet, but the initial appointment and workup was very smooth. Great office and atmosphere. Friendly staff and knowledgeable doctor. Dr Dunaway offered his email for us to send in any additional questions and was very ready to answer and and all we asked.
Ask questions
We are in the process of potentially starting an IVF cycle, more details to come on this!
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The atmosphere of the waiting room and office itself is very calm and professional. You feel as if you are somewhere where they know what they are doing. It has a warm, welcoming tone and smiling faces to greet you.
The consultation fee was $215
We have not reached this point yet in the process here
+ Read more- Read less

In the initial consultation Dr. Heber is personal yet honest. He never set false hope. His suggestions were guarded. He never performed any of the IUI’s because we utilized donor sperm. We went to the clinic in New Orleans for each procedure... Dr. Heber is a very practical doctor. He is learned and doesn’t take too many risks. His experience helps him offer the best choice for his patients. He was not aggressive with our treatment because we already knew our chances were minimal.
It’s like any doctors office, but the actual care is great. Expect bloodwork and ultrasounds at almost every appointment. Be candid with the nurses and doctors and give honest answers. How you respond to their questions may affect your treatment.... My nurse called me constantly. She answered any and all questions... It was roughly $2500 for each iui... He and his staff saw the hurt and cared for me like family
European, Prefer not to answer
Tell him all of your concerns
He and his staff saw the hurt and cared for me like family
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
My nurse called me constantly. She answered any and all questions
It was roughly $2500 for each iui
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Herber Dunaway] is funny and polite! Great bedside manner! He always had a smile on his face and is very welcoming! He never made ya uncomfortable for feel bad about our situation! He is wonderful to work with! Everything we have gone through so far has been smooth and easy, even when we haven’t got the results we were hoping for!... We have taken birth control and letrozole for a iui cycle and are starting injections of lupron now
Everything about this clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans-Baton Rouge] is amazing! This could communicate a little better but overall they are great! Everyone is very nice and really friendly! The office is very clean! You feel welcome from the moment you walk in!... The nursing staff was very friendly and helpful! They could communicate a little better with patients and what the next steps are
He is funny and polite! Great bedside manner! He always had a smile on his face and is very welcoming! He never made ya uncomfortable for feel bad about our situation! He is wonderful to work with! Everything we have gone through so far has been smooth and easy, even when we haven’t got the results we were hoping for!
Trust Dr. Dunaway and his staff! They are amazing!
The whole staff of friendly and caring
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Everything about this clinic is amazing! This could communicate a little better but overall they are great! Everyone is very nice and really friendly! The office is very clean! You feel welcome from the moment you walk in!
So far our total is around 11,900
None
+ Read more- Read less

The Doctor [Dr. Dunaway] wants to see everyone have a baby. He has worked very hard to do that for our family. The week we completed stims he stopped my wife taking one of her medications and we were freaking out a little. If he did not tell us to stop that medication then we would have had OHSS. We are glad to know that he was monitoring us that closely. We recently transferred out first embryo and still waiting to see if we carry the baby to full term.
The staff at The Fertility Institute has always been compassionate to our needs...They are almost like family you see them so much while completing IVF. We drive 90 mins both ways to see them...The Doctor [Dr. Dunaway] wants to see everyone have a baby. He has worked very hard to do that for our family. The week we completed stims he stopped my wife taking one of her medications and we were freaking out a little. If he did not tell us to stop that medication then we would have had OHSS. We are glad to know that he was monitoring us that closely.
The Doctor wants to see everyone have a baby. He has worked very hard to do that for our family. The week we completed stims he stopped my wife taking one of her medications and we were freaking out a little. If he did not tell us to stop that medication then we would have had OHSS. We are glad to know that he was monitoring us that closely. We recently transferred out first embryo and still waiting to see if we carry the baby to full term.
Don't be afraid to ask question if you don't understand.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
All of the staff personnel is very professional at this location. The staff is very compassionate. They are almost like family you see them so much while completing IVF. We drive 90 mins both ways to see them.
The insurance paid most of it.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Dunaway] explain very well what we have to do and what next. He on top with things. He get things in order and on a roll. He gave us some options of what we can do and what to do. I got a lot of people tell me he very good and thrust worthy of how to go with fertility. He sat their and explain what he think wrong.... He explain what we will probably have to do. I been trying to get pregnant for 9 years and can’t afford a ivf, and that what he said we probably have to do
They made us feel very welcome, kind and warmly. They [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] helped us with questions we had and explain things we asked... When u walk in the clinic u feel so welcome. The nurses very friendly and make u feel comfortable. They explain what is next and what to look forward to. They listen to you while u talk and answer with good advice.... $500 so far
He explain very well what we have to do and what next. He on top with things. He get things in order and on a roll. He gave us some options of what we can do and what to do. I got a lot of people tell me he very good and thrust worthy of how to go with fertility. He sat their and explain what he think wrong.
He explain things very good
They made us feel very welcome, kind and warmly. They helped us with questions we had and explain things we asked
$500 so far
+ Read more- Read less
My experience as a patient has been very personable. We are seeing dunaway for Invocell and I am completely confident in his work. He [Dr. Dunaway] was thorough about what we needed to do to get there and how we could get there....From the moment I walked into the office, my experience felt so personable. I felt like I was exactly where I needed to be....Let him do what he knows how to do and don't stress... We are currently going through Invocell process.
The clinic [Fert Inst of NO] is wonderful from the moment you walk in. Mrs. Audrey is a wonderful first face to see! They are quick to pull you back to your appointment and you always know exactly what you're in for for each appointment....The nursing staff and coordinators are AWESOME! They know my voice when I call and always deal with my constant questions!...They are very good with explaining what your out of cost will be up front
My experience as a patient has been very personable. We are seeing dunaway for Invocell and I am completely confident in his work. He was thorough about what we needed to do to get there and how we could get there.
Let him do what he knows how to do and don't stress ;)
We are currently going through Invocell process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Simone & Jackie)
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is wonderful from the moment you walk in. Mrs. Audrey is a wonderful first face to see! They are quick to pull you back to your appointment and you always know exactly what you're in for for each appointment.
Our insurance covers infertility 90% up until diagnoses. They are very good with explaining what your out of cost will be up front
+ Read more- Read less

He's [Dr. Dunaway] a wonderful doctor. Sometimes "too" enthusiastic but always honest. He performs every procedure and is very informative. Only negative is sometimes you feel a little mislead...He was enthusiastic yet realistic....We did long lupron protocol with 150 of each follistim and menopur. Also 10 units of lupron about a week prior. My amh is good, but we didn't get a ton of eggs...I would definitely recommend him to a friend...
Clean and organized clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans], but always a long ivf wait list...[Monitoring Appointments] Super organized and clean. State of the art facility...Jackie is wonderful. She has been doctor Dunaway's nurse for 30 years. The scheduling is always clear cut and always organized. She is always on top of her calls. Sometimes she sounds "sad" when she calls which freaks me out...He [Dr. Dunaway] performs every procedure and is very informative.
He's a wonderful doctor. Sometimes "too" enthusiastic but always honest. He performs every procedure and is very informative. Only negative is sometimes you feel a little mislead. I would definitely recommend him to a friend
Do your homework ahead of time. Be prepared with questions
He was enthusiastic yet realistic.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Clean and organized clinic, but always a long ivf wait list
Super organized and clean. State of the art facility
I have insurance coverage, so only $4000
Generally he is pro 2 embryo transfer

1 IUI, IVF
Endometriosis, Male Factor
I felt that Dr. Dunaway was the first Dr. to look further than an unexplained diagnosis after 5 years and two prior doctors he found that I had stage 3 endometriosis and removed it, now planning to do IVF due to additional male factor with husband. I appreciate his thorough exploration of things before more time was wasted!...He is very personable but specific and to the point. He puts you at ease during procedure. Offers a personal viewpoint.
Patient scheduling [Fert Inst of NO- BR] very friendly....Nurses could be more friendly and sympathetic to patients with questions about processes....Very vague not compassionate or sympathetic...I felt that Dr. Dunaway was the first Dr. to look further than an unexplained diagnosis after 5 years and two prior doctors he found that I had stage 3 endometriosis and removed it, now planning to do IVF due to additional male factor with husband.
1 IUI, IVF
Endometriosis, Male Factor
He is very personable but specific and to the point. He puts you at ease during procedure. Offers a personal viewpoint. Nurses could be more friendly and sympathetic to patients with questions about processes.
To write down any questions he will look over your questions with you
Laparoscopy to remove stage 3 endo & post op check up IVF consult Repeat semen analysis verified male factor infertility Recommended to do IVF/ICSI Began IVF work up sonogram /blood work /packet Will soon go back
Very vague not compassionate or sympathetic
Patient scheduling very friendly
+ Read more- Read less

I felt like he [Dr. Herber Dunaway] was very qualified and knew exactly what my issue was and how to treat me, but after my initial consultation I never saw him or heard from him...Weaknesses - not very face to face, doesn't explain the reasoning behind all of the treatment options. I felt like I was being pushed toward extremely aggressive treatment too early while being dismissive of my concerns...I did one cycle with oral medicine and times intercourse.
I felt like they [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] could have run more tests and diagnostics initially. I had to request certain procedures and blood work. They also didnt forward my paperwork to my new clinic...An oral medicine cycle cost $850. A treatment cycle with iui cost $1500...State of the art equipment and facilities. A lot of qualified doctors. Weaknesses are you definitely know that they have a ton of patients. The staff seem very busy. They do have good hours. I felt like they were in a rush to push people through lower cycles of treatment.
Strengths - experienced and qualified Weaknesses - not very face to face, doesn't explain the reasoning behind all of the treatment options. I felt like I was being pushed toward extremely aggressive treatment too early while being dismissive of my concerns
Ask a lot of questions
I felt like he was very qualified and knew exactly what my issue was and how to treat me, but after my initial consultation I never saw him or heard from him.
I did one cycle with oral medicine and times intercourse.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Good communicator in that they returned phone calls promptly. Could have had a better bedside manner and explained things more thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
An oral medicine cycle cost $850. A treatment cycle with iui cost $1500.
I did not do IVF

Uterine Fibroids, Other
He [Dr. Dunaway] was very friendly and he was able to diagnose my problem right away...so I had surgery...but he didnt explain well what he saw wrong with my tubes...just mentioned scarring after my recovery period...and when it was time for the actual iui's barely heard or got a response on how to proceed...He is a good doctor just not a good one for me
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is nice and the other staff members were very friendly. Kind if hard to get in for an appointment because of there popularity but spends a lot of time going over things in consultation. My surgery went well also...I hated the nurse she always had an attitude like I was bothering her I don't know if it was because she was pregnant or because I was gay but I didn't like her vibe and lack of communication and care so I went with another doctor
Uterine Fibroids, Other
He was very friendly and he was able to diagnose my problem right away so I had surgery but he didnt explain well what he saw wrong with my tubes just mentioned scarring after my recovery period and when it was time for the actual iui's barely heard or got a response on how to proceed.
He is a good doctor just not a good one for me
Only to inform them when the start of your cycle was so they could schedule the sis
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is nice and the other staff members were very friendly. Kind if hard to get in for an appointment because of there popularity but spends a lot of time going over things in consultation. My surgery went well also
My insurance covered most and I only paid copays and 1,000 toward my out of pocket as the doctor fee before surgery
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
He is a great Dr that is very determined to figure out what is going on in your body and to fix it in any way possible I left out being very positive when I went in very negative he also found the source of my bleeding and help to quickly stop it...He is a very good doctor that explains everything to you and is very determined to figure out what is going on and help fix it...The doctor and his staff are the best they will help you in any way possible to get you the family you always wanted they are very caring and loving people I will never go to another doctor I love Dr Dunaway
The doctor and his staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are the best they will help you in any way possible to get you the family you always wanted they are very caring and loving people...[Nursing Staff] Everyone that works in his office is great...He [Dr. Dunaway] is a very good doctor that explains everything to you and is very determined to figure out what is going on and help fix it... I will never go to another doctor...You will not be sorry you went to him
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
You will not be sorry you went to him
Everyone that works in his office is great
+ Read more- Read less
I did an injectable IUI [with Dr. Herber Dunaway]. I used Letrozole, Menopur, Ganirelix, Pregynl, Estrace, and Endomentrin. After the normal three days of Menopur and Ganirelix, my follicles weren't as big as expected. I had two more days of each. My lining also wasn't a thick as he was wanting so I began Estrace (estrogen). I had a cyst that remained the same, but he said my bloodwork was still good and I ended up with two large follicles.
The nursing staff [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] seemed to just go through a routine like you were just another number. I did like that they call in the afternoon after speaking with the doctor and verified everything that was said after the monitoring visit. I feel like I didn't retain much so I'm glad they called...Detailed Semen Analysis= $265, Injectable Monitoring= $995 (bloodwork, ultrasounds), Insemination= $535... I asked for an Endometrial Scratch for an IUI and he said he hadn't done it for an IUI but he was willing to. The clinic isn't open on Saturdays so if you need a monitoring appointment or IUI on the weekend, it'll be at the Metairie clinic.
Dr. Dunaway has always treated me with respect. I have never felt like my PCOS would be a problem with treatment. He listened to my concerns and when i asked for something a little different, he listened and agreed.
Be honest with your concerns. Don't expect an immediate fix.
Dr. Dunaway has always been understanding and wants to help us make a baby. When he greeted us, I felt it was genuine. Sometimes I feel the nursing staff makes me feel like a number because they are just going through their normal protocol and rarely seems genuine or concerned.
I did an injectable IUI. I used Letrozole, Menopur, Ganirelix, Pregynl, Estrace, and Endomentrin. After the normal three days of Menopur and Ganirelix, my follicles weren't as big as expected. I had two more days of each. My lining also wasn't a thick as he was wanting so I began Estrace (estrogen). I had a cyst that remained the same, but he said my bloodwork was still good and I ended up with two large follicles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The nursing staff seemed to just go through a routine like you were just another number. I did like that they call in the afternoon after speaking with the doctor and verified everything that was said after the monitoring visit. I feel like I didn't retain much so I'm glad they called. I just didn't like feeling like just another patient. During my consultation, I did meet an older nurse that was super warm, genuine, and compassionate. I loved her.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I'm a fan of FINOBR mainly because of the success rates. Dunaway listens to what you want and won't push anything that you don't want. I asked for an Endometrial Scratch for an IUI and he said he hadn't done it for an IUI but he was willing to. The clinic isn't open on Saturdays so if you need a monitoring appointment or IUI on the weekend, it'll be at the Metairie clinic.
+ Read more- Read less

I felt he was candid yet sympathetic... We have not yet been successful but I have been very pleased with Dr. Dunaway. He is to the point yet sympathetic. He immediately diagnosed me with a pituitary tumor, which my gyno had overlooked.... Once I was cleared we started Letrozol plus trigger shots and IUI. I had cysts both times so I was put on birth control for 2 weeks to suppress growth before Letrozol was started.
I have been very pleased. They [Fertility Institute of New Orleans - Nursing Staff] answer all my questions and have helped in every way possible.... $895 cycle fee for Letrozol, does not include cost of medication, $575 for IUI, plus cost for additional ultrasounds of bloodwork needed outside of the cycle....With me, due to having cysts, I needed additional blood work and ultrasounds that we’re not included in my cycle fee so that was a bit upsetting but it is what it is.
We have not yet been successful but I have been very pleased with Dr. Dunaway. He is to the point yet sympathetic. He immediately diagnosed me with a pituitary tumor, which my gyno had overlooked. We are on my second round of Letrozol plus IUI now.
I felt he was candid yet sympathetic
Diagnosed with a pituitary tumor, went to see eye dr., endocrinologist, and neurosurgeon to ensure i didn’t currently need the tumor removed. Once I was cleared we started Letrozol plus trigger shots and IUI. I had cysts both times so I was put on birth control for 2 weeks to suppress growth before Letrozol was started.
I have been very pleased. They answer all my questions and have helped in every way possible.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I would just say that it always ends up costing more than you originally expect. With me, due to having cysts, I needed additional blood work and ultrasounds that we’re not included in my cycle fee so that was a bit upsetting but it is what it is.
+ Read more- Read less

I truly believe [Dr. Herber Dunaway] wants to help each and every patient to get pregnant. He has a kind and warm spirit and is detailed and willing to give answers to all questions. I really wanted to have a follow-up call, but I haven't yet received one. I'm not sure if it's customary for their office to give one...I went through the InvoCell procedure. There were blood tests, ultrasounds, and low-dose hormone meds, etc...Ask everything you want to ask and bring something to write it down with/on.
They are very fast, efficient, and clean [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans]. The nurse who draws blood is amazing. I had some timely call-back issues in the beginning, but that seemed to work out toward the end of my treatment. I felt pressed/rushed through the process at times, and that gave me anxiety...I felt that the bedside manner of the nurses with whom I dealt with during the egg retrieval was amazing versus the bedside manner of the nurse I dealt with for the preliminary testing phase.
I truly believe Dr. Dunaway wants to help each and every patient to get pregnant. He has a kind and warm spirit and is detailed and willing to give answers to all questions. I really wanted to have a follow-up call, but I haven't yet received one. I'm not sure if it's customary for their office to give one.
Ask everything you want to ask and bring something to write it down with/on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: I saw Jackie and Simone/Holly.)
I felt a bit rushed in dealing with Jackie.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
They are very fast, efficient, and clean. The nurse who draws blood is amazing. I had some timely call-back issues in the beginning, but that seemed to work out toward the end of my treatment. I felt pressed/rushed through the process at times, and that gave me anxiety.

2013 - 2018
They [nurses at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] relayed information promptly. She wasn't as compassionate as I would have liked during my losses...They have recently started doing single embryo transfers. I very much dislike this! It makes it more expensive for patients...He [Dr. Heber Dunaway] was very kind and had a positive attitude that we would get pregnant and deliver healthy babies. He never got discouraged...He was great except that we didn't see him during the cycle. All commication was done through the nurse. I didn't like that. I was always called with results at an appropriate time frame but wish he would have checked in with me leading up to IUI...Started BC the month before the cycle. We did gonal f and Lupron. Then usually triggered with ovidrel. Stayed on progesterone until a positive pregnancy test.
2013 - 2018
Have patience and trust that he knows what he's doing. He wants you to get pregnant too.
He was very kind and had a positive attitude that we would get pregnant and deliver healthy babies. He never got discouraged
They relayed information promptly. She wasn't as compassionate as I would have liked during my losses.
They have recently started doing single embryo transfers. I very much dislike this! It makes it more expensive for patients. It also reduces your chances of a pregnancy. It might be a reason to seek treatment elsewhere.