Available by cell phone
FellowshipBrigham & Women's Hosp
259 E. Erie Street
Chicago, IL 60611
312-695-7269
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Helen Kim to a friend?

4.5

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northwestern Medicine to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I've met with Dr. Kim (only 3 times, I mostly deal with her nurses), she's had to refresh her memory on my case in front of me. I know she sees a lot of people, but it would be nice if she did that before coming in the room to see me. ... Dr. Kim is very no nonsense. She's doesn't come off as the most compassionate person, but she knows her stuff. She's very black and white. I appreciate it because I don't need someone to sugar coat things, but other people may not appreciate her abrupt style.
As someone with an office job, I appreciated the early monitoring hours for ultrasounds and blood work. And they [Northwestern Medicine] really get you in and out as quickly as possible. ... The receptionists are always really friendly. ... They are very upfront on all the costs when you meet with the financial consultant. ... The nurses are GREAT!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at Northwestern Medicine?
She's going to tell you like it is, whether you want to hear it or not.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at Northwestern Medicine?
Northwestern in general sees a lot of patients, so it feel like a lot of the time you're one of many. But each time I've met with Dr. Kim (only 3 times, I mostly deal with her nurses), she's had to refresh her memory on my case in front of me. I know she sees a lot of people, but it would be nice if she did that before coming in the room to see me.
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
I've done 2 IUIs with Dr. Kim. Both were 100 mg of Clomid with monitoring and Ovidrel trigger shot. My insurance doesn't cover fertility treatment, and since I'm older, with unexplained fertility, she advised 2 IUIs before moving on to IVF. I've only had the consult for IVF with her to date.
The nurses are GREAT! They are the ones you communicate with the most, so they are really responsive and easy to talk to and very understanding.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Northwestern sees a lot of patients. A lot of people will mention the "cattle call" feel of it. I didn't feel that way. As someone with an office job, I appreciated the early monitoring hours for ultrasounds and blood work. And they really get you in and out as quickly as possible. The waits aren't long at all, even on the weekends. And that they do that 7 days a week. The receptionists are always really friendly. The clinic itself is good.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at Northwestern Medicine.
My insurance doesn't cover anything, so it's all out of pocket. They will bill insurance, but most is not covered. IUIs are $700. The self-pay for IVF is $10,000, which doesn't include meds and PGS testing. They are very upfront on all the costs when you meet with the financial consultant.
Describe Helen Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Medicine.
In my consult, she's told me about multiple transfer vs. single and has told me the risks and the odds, based on my age.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Medicine?
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Medicine.

Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. ... View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps. ... She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks. ...
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university [Northwestern Medicine], staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them. ... The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal.
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks.
Make sure you have thought through your fertility journey ahead of time because she will ask you a lot of questions (i.e. timing, OPKs, tests you've had, history, etc). View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps.
Dr. Kim's consultation with myself and my husband was very thorough and rooted in facts, which I appreciate. She has a kind manner, but is very straightforward about the science behind fertility. I have only tried one cycle of IUI with Dr. Kim, and the only time I've seen her was at my consultation. I understand that this is how Northwestern's clinic works, but it does make the overall experience less personal.
My husband and I had a complete fertility work-up (HSG, bloodwork, ultrasound, SA, etc) and were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Kim recommended a few cycles of medicated IUI. She said it could help with some problem they haven't been able to identify. She let us know it had about a 9% success rate per cycle, but on our own we likely only had 3% chance per cycle. I took Clomid (50 mg) for 5 days with monitoring. When I had a follicle large enough (mine was 23 mm) I took an HCG trigger shot, and did an IUI 36 hours later. My husband produced a sample of 11 million post-wash, which is considered great. Unfortunately, my IUI was unsuccessful.
The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal. A nurse performed the IUI. She was very thorough in making sure I checked over the info on the sample and explained my husband's pre- and post-wash numbers to us. She was very kind and explained every step of the process as she was doing it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university, staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them.
My insurance covers fertility treatments. I had already met my deductible going through my fertility testing. For the IUI I paid approximately $40, labs about $30, Clomid was $10, HCG shot (generic) was $30.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. ... The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
Some of the US techs [At Northwestern Medicine] are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. She was very knowledgeable, drawing from medical literature/data, and transparent about our options and chances. The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
Don't be afraid to voice your concerns and opinions up front.
Dr. Kim candidly talked me through options, even when those changed given my results from various treatments. She looked through my testing and explained the various options in detail.
For my IUIs, we used 100 mg of Clomid for 5 days, triggered with Ovidrel. I did produce 2 follicles each time. For my first IVF cycle, we started with Follistim at 300 mg and Menopur at 75 units for 3 days which is the standard start IVF regimen for the clinic from what I understand. I was then increased to Menopur 150 units along with the same dose of Follistim for 5 days. Despite the increase, my cycle ended up getting converted to IUI because of poor response (only 2 follicles).
Excellent nurses all around. Responsive to messages, detailed, helpful. Some had more difficulty with my IUI than others, but they sought out help.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Clinic is a beautiful space, comfortable, efficient. Some of the US techs are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
I have fertility benefits which covered my IUIs and medications thus far. I do have a copay for labs, US, office visits which have equaled out to about $500-$800 thus far.
We have yet to make it to transfer. But our plan is for PGS testing and transfer of 1 embryo.
+ Read more- Read less

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
She [Dr. Helen Kim] was always willing to collaborate on action plan when I needed more information. She was willing to consult with other doctors, and was supportive of myself and my husband... was thorough and kind. She explored all avenues regarding why I might not be getting pregnant, but always kept us moving forward. I felt informed and was a participant in my care. She called me back on the same day whenever I called with a question.
Monitoring [at University of Chicago Hospitals] was first come first serve. The longest I ever waited was 30 minutes but that was rare. I generally waited less than 15...I did PGS testing and frozen transfers and therefore she [Dr. Kim] only wanted to implant one embyro which I was fine with...Their strength is that as a small practice they can give wonderful personalized care. It can be hard to get an initial appointment but once you are working with them they are extremely helpful with scheduling.
European, Latino, Native American
How was your experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Hospitals?
Dr. Kim was thorough and kind. She explored all avenues regarding why I might not be getting pregnant, but always kept us moving forward. I felt informed and was a participant in my care. She called me back on the same day whenever I called with a question. She was always willing to collaborate on action plan when I needed more information. She was willing to consult with other doctors, and was supportive of myself and my husband.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at University of Chicago Hospitals?
It may take awhile to get in because they are a small practice, but it's worth the wait. Remember, one month is only one missed cycle. You will be glad you chose them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Hospitals?
The people who work in the UCM fertility office are the kindest, most caring group of health professionals. I highly recommend them to anyone seeking treatment in Chicago.
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at University of Chicago Hospitals and their degree of success.
She is analytical and conservative. She looks at all the data before coming up with a plan. She does not take a one size fits all approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Chicago Hospitals. (Assigned nurse: Gayle)
The team overall is extremely compassionate and responsive. I could always count on a prompt reply to a telephone or MyChart inquiry.
Describe your experience with University of Chicago Hospitals.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Chicago Hospitals.
Monitoring was first come first serve. The longest I ever waited was 30 minutes but that was rare. I generally waited less than 15.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at University of Chicago Hospitals.
I don't remember.
Describe Helen Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Chicago Hospitals.
I did PGS testing and frozen transfers and therefore she only wanted to implant one embyro which I was fine with.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Hospitals.

We've met with Dr. Kim twice in the very short time we have been seeing her. When we first met with her she spent almost two hours reviewing all of our results. She is very investigative as my husband's described. We have been given no real reasons for our infertility or two miscarriages and she seems like she is willing to do the work to find out why and to get us pregnant...I don't get the feeling she will sugar coat bad news so if you want the information in a very straightforward way then you will get it. If not, be ready for it...
You see the same people every time (for blood and ultrasound) [at U Chicago -MD Ave]. Dr. Kim has also performed the IUI (when it was a holiday weekend)...Results are provided electronically via MyChart. I've spoken to the nurse when I had questions about the results and she was somewhat helpful...
How was your experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Hospitals?
Dr. Kim is willing to sit down with you and have a conversation and review all past results and clearly explain your options. So far, we really like her.
Since Letrazole plus IUI did get my pregnant previously with our first doctor and there was no reason discovered for my miscarriage she thought starting with that again made sense before graduating to IVF. First cycle, we moved forward with Letrazole plus IUI. We did not get pregnant. Second cycle, we did Letrazole plus an IUI. My lining was questionable so we also added Estrace before the IUI. Mid cycle now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Chicago Hospitals. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Describe your experience with University of Chicago Hospitals.
Coming from FCI, this is so much smaller in a good way. You see the same people every time (for blood and ultrasound). Dr. Kim has also performed the IUI (when it was a holiday weekend).

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Kim is very knowledgeable about fertility. She gives you all possible outcomes and a plan of action before leaving her office to make u feel like there is an attainable solution. Dr. Kim is very thorough in reviewing your medical records and making sure all details are included in your chart...Ultrasounds and procedures to diagnose and treat fertility issues...Ask any and all questions you may have
The clinic [University of Chicago Hospitals] is very clean and welcoming. The rooms are designed for optimal comfort. The staff is very timely. You do not spend a lot of time waiting for your appointment to begin. You work with the same staff on a daily basis and they take time to get to know you and help ease the stress of on going procedures...Learning patients names was a plus. It made me feel like i was more than a patient coming in for a procedure.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Hospitals?
Ask any and all questions you may have
The staff at the clinic greeted me by name and were personable and friendly as well as professionally.
Ultrasounds and procedures to diagnose and treat fertility issues
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Chicago Hospitals. (Assigned nurse: Gary)
Describe your experience with University of Chicago Hospitals.
The clinic is very clean and welcoming. The rooms are designed for optimal comfort. The staff is very timely. You do not spend a lot of time waiting for your appointment to begin. You work with the same staff on a daily basis and they take time to get to know you and help ease the stress of on going procedures.
Because of my insurance plan, i had a very low co pay. i am unsure of the total cost
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Kim was nice but felt she didn’t take the time to get to know us on a personal level. ... Dr Kim knows seems to know her stuff. ... She powered through results, never stopping to ask what we thought or felt comfortable with. She pushed IVF and wanted to get treatment started right after the consultation. It felt somewhat pushy and sales-like during a really hard time ... She did not show compassion and getting to know us as a couple and what treatment plans we felt comfortable with ... Dr Kim came in and powered through the consultation. It felt very scientific, blunt, and impersonal ...
Nice clinic [Northwestern Medicine] but will continue to research others in the area. Seemed more like a business where they pushed IVF heavily. Initial consultation appointment was very expensive. We decided not to go back as it didn’t feel like the right fit ... [nursing staff] Nice and compassionate ... Very expensive. We were shocked by the consultation fee when we have excellent insurance
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr Kim was nice but felt she didn’t take the time to get to know us on a personal level. She powered through results, never stopping to ask what we thought or felt comfortable with. She pushed IVF and wanted to get treatment started right after the consultation. It felt somewhat pushy and sales-like during a really hard time
Dr Kim knows seems to know her stuff. She did not show compassion and getting to know us as a couple and what treatment plans we felt comfortable with
IVF with ICSI
Nice and compassionate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Nice clinic but will continue to research others in the area. Seemed more like a business where they pushed IVF heavily. Initial consultation appointment was very expensive. We decided not to go back as it didn’t feel like the right fit

2012
I do feel that Dr. Kim and her staff cared about the outcome of my treatment but not that they were prepared to treat me individually or look beyond the standard reasons for what might be going on. After two miscarriages, they basically told me there wasn't anything else they could do for me and I should consult another doctor.
2012
How was your experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Hospitals?
Dr. Kim was very matter-of-fact and professional but not especially warm or compassionate.
Do not expect warmth or compassion.
They were all very nice but I did not get the feeling they knew me as an individual.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Kim] made sure she talked in a nice respectful manner and made me feel like a daughter...She’s a loving doctor that’s there for your every need I came in not understanding and left feeling like nothing could stop me she explained what I needed to do even if I didn’t have the insurance. She made sure I understood that I wasn’t the only person going thru this and that’s it is possible for me to conceive
Everything was perfect [at University of Chicago Hospitals] just the wait time will have you on the edge of your seat. They make sure your comfortable and understanding. The people that work there are very nice and helpful and you can get them to understand what you need and they make sure your ok at all times...[the nurses were] Very very compassionate...She [Dr. Kim] made sure she talked in a nice respectful manner and made me feel like a daughter.
How was your experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Hospitals?
She is a going to help you every step of the way
She made sure she talked in a nice respectful manner and made me feel like a daughter
Very very compassionate
Describe your experience with University of Chicago Hospitals.
Everything was perfect just the wait time will have you on the edge of your seat. They make sure your comfortable and understanding. The people that work there are very nice and helpful and you can get them to understand what you need and they make sure your ok at all times
I came thru emergency room sooo a lot of money