6.9

Helen Kim works in 1 office at

259 E. Erie St
Chicago, IL 60611

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Kim would call me back when I had questions and show empathy for bad news...I felt like a thorough examination of my condition was not monitored early on and could have saved me a lot of resources and energy...I would like to have all information and make my own decision in regards to my treatment. There was another time I had to point out that my medication dosage was to be increased for the 2nd iui according to our treatment plan
NW is reputable and the clinic is very popular. Communication with easy with mychart. Virtual office visits were good. The attention to detail is lacking and treatment plans should be more thorough before a patient invests a lot of time and resources...I spent approximately $1900 for IUIs and medication (plus another HSG). Each IUI was $700 out of pocket and my medications were about $120. My monitoring procedures were covered by my insurance.
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kim would call me back when I had questions and show empathy for bad news. However, I was upset that I completed two IUIs and was told that a cyst and fluid would be monitored. It wasn’t until my second IUI failed and I contacted her that she mentioned the cyst and fluid were still present. Because of the cyst and fluid, she was concerned my tubes were blocked and recommended I have another hsg completed. Previously, my obgyn said my tubes were open when I first took a hsg and I attempted to retrieve the images for Dr. Kim as she said she could not locate them. I completed another hsg and was diagnosed with Hydrosalpinges. I felt destroyed because I felt like a thorough examination of my condition was not monitored early on and could have saved me a lot of resources and energy. In addition, I felt like I had to review notes and ask questions in order to get my “plan”/“”case” reassessed. For example, I asked about being placed on birth control to try to prevent the cyst from growing further. Dr. Kim informed me that she did not tell me about this treatment as most clients want to try naturally when they take time off. I would like to have all information and make my own decision in regards to my treatment. There was another time I had to point out that my medication dosage was to be increased for the 2nd iui according to our treatment plan. I lost a lot of trust and confidence with Dr. Kim after these instances and the failure to get a hsg completed or request/retrieve the prior hsg images before having me complete any IUIs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you review all notes and do your research beforehand. Do not be afraid to advocate for yourself and speak up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
The people in the office were nice and would have conversations with me. Most of my interactions were with the nurses or other staff members.
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
The plan was to do 3 IUIs, then IVF. After two failed IUIs, I messaged Dr. Kim and she decided to do further testing to determine why I continued to have a cyst and fluid in my ultrasounds. I had to redo an HSG as she could not locate the previous HSG that was completed at NW.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They were nice but failed to consult after visit notes about dosage for my 2nd IUI cycle. Not sure if this was a missed part on behalf or the nurses or Dr. Kim.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe Helen Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Upon intake, there should have been a request for images of my hsg test before having me complete any IUIs. I should have been informed about the progress of the cyst and fluid.

2012, Unsuccessful
I do feel that Dr. Kim and her staff cared about the outcome of my treatment but not that they were prepared to treat me individually or look beyond the standard reasons for what might be going on. After two miscarriages, they basically told me there wasn't anything else they could do for me and I should consult another doctor.
How was your experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Medicine?
Dr. Kim was very matter-of-fact and professional but not especially warm or compassionate.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at University of Chicago Medicine?
Do not expect warmth or compassion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Medicine?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Chicago Medicine.
They were all very nice but I did not get the feeling they knew me as an individual.
University of Chicago Medicine
Chicago - Hyde Park

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Kim is knowledgeable and competent, but sometimes it didn't feel like she listened to why we were pursuing these specific fertility services. She seems less versed in LGBTQ+ care and somewhat unwilling to understand the ways in which gender identity may influence a person's decision to be pregnant or not...We are doing reciprocal IVF, meaning my spouse was going to have her eggs retrieved to freeze embryos that would then be transferred to me
Northwestern is a high-volume practice, so be prepared to keep track of what should be happening and when—you are ultimately responsible for your care. It's very much like an assembly line, and despite bragging about their LGBTQ+ bona fides, the forms are heteronormative and no effort has been made to make them more inclusive.
If it's important to you, be confident in how you'd like to approach things. Dr. Kim won't lead you astray, but you may need to advocate for yourself a bit.
Dr. Kim is knowledgeable and has excellent credentials. However, at times it felt like she was unwilling to acknowledge our specific situation. We are doing reciprocal IVF, meaning my spouse was going to have her eggs retrieved to freeze embryos that would then be transferred to me. My spouse has low ovarian reserve, and several times Dr. Kim suggested that my spouse simply get pregnant because the likelihood of my spouse being able to get and stay pregnant was likely better than the likelihood of retrieving enough eggs for fertilization. My spouse has no interest in being pregnant. If it had come up only once, I don't think I would have been as bothered by it, but it came up several times. The practice itself is a high volume practice, and there were several occasions where labs or diagnostics weren't ordered accurately or at all, leading to delays in care.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
No strong preference, but it ended up not being relevant to us because we had only one embryo to freeze.
They failed to order appropriate tests and call in the medication at one point. It didn't impact the outcome, but it added to an already stressful situation and degraded our faith in the medical team.