5.4

Helen Kim works at

259 E. Erie St
Chicago, IL 60611
312-695-7269

Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. ... The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
Some of the US techs [At Northwestern Medicine] are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. She was very knowledgeable, drawing from medical literature/data, and transparent about our options and chances. The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Don't be afraid to voice your concerns and opinions up front.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kim candidly talked me through options, even when those changed given my results from various treatments. She looked through my testing and explained the various options in detail.
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
For my IUIs, we used 100 mg of Clomid for 5 days, triggered with Ovidrel. I did produce 2 follicles each time. For my first IVF cycle, we started with Follistim at 300 mg and Menopur at 75 units for 3 days which is the standard start IVF regimen for the clinic from what I understand. I was then increased to Menopur 150 units along with the same dose of Follistim for 5 days. Despite the increase, my cycle ended up getting converted to IUI because of poor response (only 2 follicles).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Excellent nurses all around. Responsive to messages, detailed, helpful. Some had more difficulty with my IUI than others, but they sought out help.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is a beautiful space, comfortable, efficient. Some of the US techs are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I have fertility benefits which covered my IUIs and medications thus far. I do have a copay for labs, US, office visits which have equaled out to about $500-$800 thus far.
Describe Helen Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We have yet to make it to transfer. But our plan is for PGS testing and transfer of 1 embryo.
Chicago

Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. ... View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps. ... She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks. ...
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university [Northwestern Medicine], staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them. ... The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal.
Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks.
Make sure you have thought through your fertility journey ahead of time because she will ask you a lot of questions (i.e. timing, OPKs, tests you've had, history, etc). View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps.
Dr. Kim's consultation with myself and my husband was very thorough and rooted in facts, which I appreciate. She has a kind manner, but is very straightforward about the science behind fertility. I have only tried one cycle of IUI with Dr. Kim, and the only time I've seen her was at my consultation. I understand that this is how Northwestern's clinic works, but it does make the overall experience less personal.
My husband and I had a complete fertility work-up (HSG, bloodwork, ultrasound, SA, etc) and were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Kim recommended a few cycles of medicated IUI. She said it could help with some problem they haven't been able to identify. She let us know it had about a 9% success rate per cycle, but on our own we likely only had 3% chance per cycle. I took Clomid (50 mg) for 5 days with monitoring. When I had a follicle large enough (mine was 23 mm) I took an HCG trigger shot, and did an IUI 36 hours later. My husband produced a sample of 11 million post-wash, which is considered great. Unfortunately, my IUI was unsuccessful.
The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal. A nurse performed the IUI. She was very thorough in making sure I checked over the info on the sample and explained my husband's pre- and post-wash numbers to us. She was very kind and explained every step of the process as she was doing it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university, staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them.
My insurance covers fertility treatments. I had already met my deductible going through my fertility testing. For the IUI I paid approximately $40, labs about $30, Clomid was $10, HCG shot (generic) was $30.
Chicago

I've met with Dr. Kim (only 3 times, I mostly deal with her nurses), she's had to refresh her memory on my case in front of me. I know she sees a lot of people, but it would be nice if she did that before coming in the room to see me. ... Dr. Kim is very no nonsense. She's doesn't come off as the most compassionate person, but she knows her stuff. She's very black and white. I appreciate it because I don't need someone to sugar coat things, but other people may not appreciate her abrupt style.
As someone with an office job, I appreciated the early monitoring hours for ultrasounds and blood work. And they [Northwestern Medicine] really get you in and out as quickly as possible. ... The receptionists are always really friendly. ... They are very upfront on all the costs when you meet with the financial consultant. ... The nurses are GREAT!
She's going to tell you like it is, whether you want to hear it or not.
Northwestern in general sees a lot of patients, so it feel like a lot of the time you're one of many. But each time I've met with Dr. Kim (only 3 times, I mostly deal with her nurses), she's had to refresh her memory on my case in front of me. I know she sees a lot of people, but it would be nice if she did that before coming in the room to see me.
I've done 2 IUIs with Dr. Kim. Both were 100 mg of Clomid with monitoring and Ovidrel trigger shot. My insurance doesn't cover fertility treatment, and since I'm older, with unexplained fertility, she advised 2 IUIs before moving on to IVF. I've only had the consult for IVF with her to date.
The nurses are GREAT! They are the ones you communicate with the most, so they are really responsive and easy to talk to and very understanding.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern sees a lot of patients. A lot of people will mention the "cattle call" feel of it. I didn't feel that way. As someone with an office job, I appreciated the early monitoring hours for ultrasounds and blood work. And they really get you in and out as quickly as possible. The waits aren't long at all, even on the weekends. And that they do that 7 days a week. The receptionists are always really friendly. The clinic itself is good.
My insurance doesn't cover anything, so it's all out of pocket. They will bill insurance, but most is not covered. IUIs are $700. The self-pay for IVF is $10,000, which doesn't include meds and PGS testing. They are very upfront on all the costs when you meet with the financial consultant.
In my consult, she's told me about multiple transfer vs. single and has told me the risks and the odds, based on my age.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I self-pay and no one told me that I had to pay for the IUI up front. It's not an insignificant amount of money and to be told that as you're getting ready for the procedure was jarring. I wish they would be more upfront with those kinds of things. I also had lost paperwork on one monitoring ultrasound and ended up waiting a lot longer than normal. But once I spoke up, I was taken right back and told if it ever happens again in the future, to speak up sooner.
Chicago

Dr Kim was nice but felt she didn’t take the time to get to know us on a personal level. ... Dr Kim knows seems to know her stuff. ... She powered through results, never stopping to ask what we thought or felt comfortable with. She pushed IVF and wanted to get treatment started right after the consultation. It felt somewhat pushy and sales-like during a really hard time ... She did not show compassion and getting to know us as a couple and what treatment plans we felt comfortable with ... Dr Kim came in and powered through the consultation. It felt very scientific, blunt, and impersonal ...
Nice clinic [Northwestern Medicine] but will continue to research others in the area. Seemed more like a business where they pushed IVF heavily. Initial consultation appointment was very expensive. We decided not to go back as it didn’t feel like the right fit ... [nursing staff] Nice and compassionate ... Very expensive. We were shocked by the consultation fee when we have excellent insurance
Dr Kim was nice but felt she didn’t take the time to get to know us on a personal level. She powered through results, never stopping to ask what we thought or felt comfortable with. She pushed IVF and wanted to get treatment started right after the consultation. It felt somewhat pushy and sales-like during a really hard time
Dr Kim knows seems to know her stuff. She did not show compassion and getting to know us as a couple and what treatment plans we felt comfortable with
IVF with ICSI
Nice and compassionate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Nice clinic but will continue to research others in the area. Seemed more like a business where they pushed IVF heavily. Initial consultation appointment was very expensive. We decided not to go back as it didn’t feel like the right fit