5.4

Chicago
259 E. Erie St
Chicago, IL 60611
312-695-7269

[Dr. Helen Kim is] very willing to answer questions, so ask all the questions you have...Compassionate, knowledgeable, experienced. Able to assess situation and offer course of action, adapt it as needed, and offer recommended courses of action...since we were doing genetic testing and freezing [she] suggested eSET...We did multiple rounds of IVF. The dosages of the shots, and supplements were adjusted during various cycles
[Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine is] Very organized, well-run, clean, meticulous attention to detail. Have 1 location in downtown Chicago and 2 suburban locations in the north and northwest suburbs. Made life easier to have flexibility regarding locations for monitoring...nurses help you through the process with compassion and care...reception staff remember your name and chat with you when you arrive for your appointment...Through the use of Northwestern’s medical app they have a very short response time to all kinds of questions
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Compassionate, knowledgeable, experienced. Able to assess situation and offer course of action, adapt it as needed, and offer recommended courses of action. She was recommended by multiple friends from different circles, all of whom also happen to be in the medical field. Highly recommend Dr. Kim and her team.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She’s very willing to answer questions, so ask all the questions you have. If you have exhausted your questions ask what else she thinks you should know.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kim, her colleagues, nurses and staff have been wonderful. They go out of their way to be kind and compassionate while providing medical care. They tailor your care to your specific needs. They provide information and keep you up to date. Through the use of Northwestern’s medical app they have a very short response time to all kinds of questions.
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Wish I could be more specific but it all blurs together. We did multiple rounds of IVF. The dosages of the shots, and supplements were adjusted during various cycles. We also did genetic testing. We’re still in the process but so far highly recommend them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jessica )
As I said earlier, amazing, compassionate, caring kind. It’s the little things along the way that make a difference, like how delicate the needle pokes are for your blood test, or how gentle the ultrasound technician is during your test, the way nurses help you through the process with compassion and care, or how the reception staff remember your name and chat with you when you arrive for your appointment. We could not have chosen a better team. Thank you all!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Very organized, well-run, clean, meticulous attention to detail. Have 1 location in downtown Chicago and 2 suburban locations in the north and northwest suburbs. Made life easier to have flexibility regarding locations for monitoring. Again, highly recommend.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This will be case specific based on someone’s insurance coverage, so for this one contact the clinic and ask their finance counselors to check your insurance coverage and let you know your specifics.
Describe Helen Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This will be patient and situation specific, but in our situation, especially since we were doing genetic testing and freezing Dr. Kim suggested eSET.
Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine
Chicago

She [Dr. Helen Kim] was always willing to collaborate on action plan when I needed more information. She was willing to consult with other doctors, and was supportive of myself and my husband... was thorough and kind. She explored all avenues regarding why I might not be getting pregnant, but always kept us moving forward. I felt informed and was a participant in my care. She called me back on the same day whenever I called with a question.
Monitoring [at University of Chicago Hospitals] was first come first serve. The longest I ever waited was 30 minutes but that was rare. I generally waited less than 15...I did PGS testing and frozen transfers and therefore she [Dr. Kim] only wanted to implant one embyro which I was fine with...Their strength is that as a small practice they can give wonderful personalized care. It can be hard to get an initial appointment but once you are working with them they are extremely helpful with scheduling.
How was your experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Medicine?
Dr. Kim was thorough and kind. She explored all avenues regarding why I might not be getting pregnant, but always kept us moving forward. I felt informed and was a participant in my care. She called me back on the same day whenever I called with a question. She was always willing to collaborate on action plan when I needed more information. She was willing to consult with other doctors, and was supportive of myself and my husband.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at University of Chicago Medicine?
It may take awhile to get in because they are a small practice, but it's worth the wait. Remember, one month is only one missed cycle. You will be glad you chose them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Medicine?
The people who work in the UCM fertility office are the kindest, most caring group of health professionals. I highly recommend them to anyone seeking treatment in Chicago.
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at University of Chicago Medicine and their degree of success.
She is analytical and conservative. She looks at all the data before coming up with a plan. She does not take a one size fits all approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Chicago Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Gayle)
The team overall is extremely compassionate and responsive. I could always count on a prompt reply to a telephone or MyChart inquiry.
Describe your experience with University of Chicago Medicine.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Chicago Medicine.
Monitoring was first come first serve. The longest I ever waited was 30 minutes but that was rare. I generally waited less than 15.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at University of Chicago Medicine.
I don't remember.
Describe Helen Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Chicago Medicine.
I did PGS testing and frozen transfers and therefore she only wanted to implant one embyro which I was fine with.

2016, Unknown Success
We've met with Dr. Kim twice in the very short time we have been seeing her. When we first met with her she spent almost two hours reviewing all of our results. She is very investigative as my husband's described. We have been given no real reasons for our infertility or two miscarriages and she seems like she is willing to do the work to find out why and to get us pregnant...I don't get the feeling she will sugar coat bad news so if you want the information in a very straightforward way then you will get it. If not, be ready for it...
You see the same people every time (for blood and ultrasound) [at U Chicago -MD Ave]. Dr. Kim has also performed the IUI (when it was a holiday weekend)...Results are provided electronically via MyChart. I've spoken to the nurse when I had questions about the results and she was somewhat helpful...
How was your experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Medicine?
Dr. Kim is willing to sit down with you and have a conversation and review all past results and clearly explain your options. So far, we really like her.
Since Letrazole plus IUI did get my pregnant previously with our first doctor and there was no reason discovered for my miscarriage she thought starting with that again made sense before graduating to IVF. First cycle, we moved forward with Letrazole plus IUI. We did not get pregnant. Second cycle, we did Letrazole plus an IUI. My lining was questionable so we also added Estrace before the IUI. Mid cycle now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Chicago Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Describe your experience with University of Chicago Medicine.
Coming from FCI, this is so much smaller in a good way. You see the same people every time (for blood and ultrasound). Dr. Kim has also performed the IUI (when it was a holiday weekend).
Chicago - Hyde Park

She was very informative, my partner and I had questions and she answered them all with no issues. Overall it was pleasant and she helped to make us feel optimistic. We had travel plans and Dr. Kim also suggested potential risks and how to stay safe due to our attempt at conception ... I recall starting with at home insemination and then moving to medication and in-office iui after a suggested 3 cycles
They [UCH] are very good at compassion and setting a nice environment during a stressful time. No weaknesses. I wish that a baby resulted from working with them but unfortunately, that wasn't the case. No fault of the clinic. We will try again after this year and will be moving so it is a bit un nerving to have to start the process again without their support.
How was your experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Medicine?
Do your research so you are well informed before starting the process. Knowing what questions to ask made the process better for us.
She was very nice and warm throughout the process
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Chicago Medicine.
The nurses always remembered us and were very nice and made jokes and kept us smiling. I remember a gentleman in the back who did the blood work and consulting and the nurse up front at the desk who was bi-lingual
Describe your experience with University of Chicago Medicine.
They are very good at compassion and setting a nice environment during a stressful time. No weaknesses. I wish that a baby resulted from working with them but unfortunately, that wasn't the case. No fault of the clinic. We will try again after this year and will be moving so it is a bit un nerving to have to start the process again without their support.
5,000-7,000 from I recall
I don't think that applied to us yet so it did not come up.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Kim is very knowledgeable about fertility. She gives you all possible outcomes and a plan of action before leaving her office to make u feel like there is an attainable solution. Dr. Kim is very thorough in reviewing your medical records and making sure all details are included in your chart...Ultrasounds and procedures to diagnose and treat fertility issues...Ask any and all questions you may have
The clinic [University of Chicago Hospitals] is very clean and welcoming. The rooms are designed for optimal comfort. The staff is very timely. You do not spend a lot of time waiting for your appointment to begin. You work with the same staff on a daily basis and they take time to get to know you and help ease the stress of on going procedures...Learning patients names was a plus. It made me feel like i was more than a patient coming in for a procedure.
How was your experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Medicine?
Ask any and all questions you may have
The staff at the clinic greeted me by name and were personable and friendly as well as professionally.
Ultrasounds and procedures to diagnose and treat fertility issues
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Chicago Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Gary)
Describe your experience with University of Chicago Medicine.
The clinic is very clean and welcoming. The rooms are designed for optimal comfort. The staff is very timely. You do not spend a lot of time waiting for your appointment to begin. You work with the same staff on a daily basis and they take time to get to know you and help ease the stress of on going procedures.
Because of my insurance plan, i had a very low co pay. i am unsure of the total cost
2014, Consult
She [Dr. Kim] made sure she talked in a nice respectful manner and made me feel like a daughter...She’s a loving doctor that’s there for your every need I came in not understanding and left feeling like nothing could stop me she explained what I needed to do even if I didn’t have the insurance. She made sure I understood that I wasn’t the only person going thru this and that’s it is possible for me to conceive
Everything was perfect [at University of Chicago Hospitals] just the wait time will have you on the edge of your seat. They make sure your comfortable and understanding. The people that work there are very nice and helpful and you can get them to understand what you need and they make sure your ok at all times...[the nurses were] Very very compassionate...She [Dr. Kim] made sure she talked in a nice respectful manner and made me feel like a daughter.
How was your experience with Helen Kim at University of Chicago Medicine?
She is a going to help you every step of the way
She made sure she talked in a nice respectful manner and made me feel like a daughter
Very very compassionate
Describe your experience with University of Chicago Medicine.
Everything was perfect just the wait time will have you on the edge of your seat. They make sure your comfortable and understanding. The people that work there are very nice and helpful and you can get them to understand what you need and they make sure your ok at all times
I came thru emergency room sooo a lot of money