Available by cell phone
FellowshipCornell
1300 Franklin Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
1305 York Avenue
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Hey-Joo Kang to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Weill Cornell Medical College to a friend?
she [Dr. Kang] thought our previous clinic overstimulated us and she was confident we could have more success with less aggressive medication regimens to stimulate eggs. The first cycle we had 4 embryos, but only 1 was viable on testing. The second cycle was cancelled. However, when we met with her for the next cycle to discuss the treatment plan, she was much colder. We stated that due to insurance, this is our last cycle and we want to optimize it. She looked at us and said, "well we go into all of our treatment cycles thinking that."
Most times the wait [at Weill Cornell] is over an hour, though recently it has been under 15 minutes. Basically very variable...Unnecessary hoops for "veteran IVFer's" to jump through, like their IVF class, retrieval class in the city, etc. Its like they have unrealistic expectations on the amount of time their demands waste on the patients lives. For instance, a trigger shot may be administered at 12 midnight, then they expect the patient to come into the city for a 6am class - regardless of where you live so you may be coming from hours away, need to drive (awful parking) or take a train (horrible schedule at that time). Meaning you get 1 hour of sleep and they just tell you to deal with it.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Kang is sometimes warm and smiley, sometimes no nonsense, sometimes appears not invested. She is by the book (doesn't believe the research supports supplements, acupuncture, etc). I completed 1 egg retrieval, had 1 cancelled cycle, and about to begin another egg retrieval.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Come prepared with questions and research.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
We have done a couple of rounds of IVF retrievals with Dr. Kang. Prior to working with her, we were at RMA for 4 timed intercourse cycles, 3 IUIs, and 3 rounds of IVF. Dr. Kang started by treating us like a human at the beginning of the treatment. During the first cycle she stated that she thought our previous clinic overstimulated us and she was confident we could have more success with less aggressive medication regimens to stimulate eggs. The first cycle we had 4 embryos, but only 1 was viable on testing. The second cycle was cancelled. However, when we met with her for the next cycle to discuss the treatment plan, she was much colder. We stated that due to insurance, this is our last cycle and we want to optimize it. She looked at us and said, "well we go into all of our treatment cycles thinking that." When we asked for advice she wouldn't give us any suggestions and instead said, "Well what do you want to do?" I tried giving ideas based off of treatments I heard of through other support groups, online research, friends such as using Clomid on the male, procedures on myself, etc. She shook her head at all of them and said, "what else are you thinking?" So finally I responded, "Well, you are the professional and this is your area of expertise, I'm only telling you the little research I've done, why don't you give us some ideas based on your knowledge?" She was reluctant to come up with more suggestions but finally agreed to do a check up and after some time came up with a plan. I felt discouraged like I had to do the work on my own. Also felt as though she was not invested in our treatment after hearing we were running out of funds in our insurance plan.
Describe the protocols Hey-Joo Kang used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
1. Egg retrieval using an estrogen priming protocol (20 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 4 blastocysts, PGS testing 1 normal). 2. Same protocol for round 2, cycle cancelled due to poor response. 3. Will begin shortly, estrogen priming with microdose lupron flare to see if it controls eggs better.
Overall, its hit or miss. Seems like they are usually in a rush to call or se the next patient and its hard to stop them to ask questions.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Weaknesses: The billing team and clinic are very separate and they don't communicate with one another. Unnecessary hoops for "veteran IVFer's" to jump through, like their IVF class, retrieval class in the city, etc. Its like they have unrealistic expectations on the amount of time their demands waste on the patients lives. For instance, a trigger shot may be administered at 12 midnight, then they expect the patient to come into the city for a 6am class - regardless of where you live so you may be coming from hours away, need to drive (awful parking) or take a train (horrible schedule at that time). Meaning you get 1 hour of sleep and they just tell you to deal with it.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Most times the wait is over an hour, though recently it has been under 15 minutes. Basically very variable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Insurance covered but responsible for many copays, some medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
During the first retrieval, they changed the trigger and didn't explain why. It was after hours so I couldn't get in touch with my doctor and they were annoyed I was requesting more information about this. Also, the billing team expects patients to do all the pre-authorizations for them (my previous clinic did all this work for you). Then when medications change, they don't explain if they don't have pre-auth for it. You're expected to keep track of all of that. If you don't have strong knowledge in billing, etc. then good luck figuring it out. Also, through my insurance this clinic is considered a "center of excellence", which means no copays etc. However, they will send their tests etc to the hospital, which is out of network. So you have to constantly fight about billing. At the previous clinic I was at, no matter what was done and sent to external labs etc, you weren't responsible for even a penny. It shows the difference in the billing teams and their investment in helping their patients. then, to top it all of, you'll get mailings every few weeks asking for donations to their hospital for their "top notch care" they gave you....
Long Island

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College.

2020
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I felt very comfortable with her [Dr. Hey-Joo Kang]. She really is a no nonsense doctor and does not give false hope, yet, gives you all options available...She will give you options from the start and proceed with treatment quickly...Due to my diagnosis of POF, Dr. Kang started me off immediately with trying to level my hormones. She put me on a low-dose 0.05 mg of estradiol to help with hot flashes. I was given thyroid medication 0.05 mg to help my thyroid. I was given progesterone during my first IUI.
Cost for the first IUI was $800 [at Weill Cornell Medical College]...They operate very efficiently. Very organized. The receptionist is a very knowledgeable and helpful. She’s on top of her game when it comes to rescheduling or scheduling an appointment. She knows the medications and works with insurances to give you the best options. It was very pleased with how organized and helpful this establishment was...Nursing staff were all very nice. Very quick and to the point.
2020
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I felt like she was on time, to the point, and really well spoken. I felt very comfortable with her. She really is a no nonsense doctor and does not give false hope, yet, gives you all options available.
She’s very to the point. She does not waste your time. She will give you options from the start and proceed with treatment quickly.
I felt like a human because she was willing to listen to me. She was very straightforward, but very kind. Right before my first IUI, she turned to me and actually said “let’s hope for a miracle.” I felt like that was more than a doctor had to say to a patient. She was kindly letting me know not to get my hopes up too high but was a small chance. This is more than any other doctor has said to me.
Nursing staff were all very nice. Very quick and to the point.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cost for the first IUI was $800. All medications up to and throughout the first are you why were approximately $200.

2019 - 2020
Dr Kang is easily the best doctor I’ve ever been to. She is unbelievably smart, friendly, and professional. She was able to diagnose my issue right away and get me the proper course of action. When I had a failed pregnancy, she diagnosed it early on, was very straightforward about a course of action and gave me no false hope. She helped me move on from that and get me pregnant again Soon after with a healthy pregnancy...Having irregular cycles, I started with a few rounds of clomid with timed inter course. I had 1 success but it was ultimately an early MC due to an implantation issue. She caught it right away. We moved on to IUI with clomid for first round second round (successful) gonal F shots with IUI.
The nursing staff [at Weill Cornell Medical College] was amazing. Test results were given promptly on the same day and they responded to all questions within 30 min of leaving a message...With offices in NYC and garden city it was very convenient...Every office was clean and every staff member was extremely helpful. Every office was able to take on many patients at once, all while giving indivualized care...office staff is unbelievably organized. Diana or a nurse typically called back within 30-60 minutes of leaving a message with even the smallest question. This included days when the office was closed. Test results were always given promptly on the same day and the process of bloodwork and ultrasound was completed quickly no mat
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr Kang is easily the best doctor I’ve ever been to. She is unbelievably smart, friendly, and professional. She was able to diagnose my issue right away and get me the proper course of action. When I had a failed pregnancy, she diagnosed it early on, was very straightforward about a course of action and gave me no false hope. She helped me move on from that and get me pregnant again Soon after with a healthy pregnancy. Her office staff is unbelievably organized. Diana or a nurse typically called back within 30-60 minutes of leaving a message with even the smallest question. This included days when the office was closed. Test results were always given promptly on the same day and the process of bloodwork and ultrasound was completed quickly no matter how many people were ahead of me. I can not recommend Dr Kang and this office enough. If you are considering or on the fence 100% absolutely use her!
Just be patient!!!! Not everything will happen in your first round but she knows what she is doing!
Dr Kang is absolutely amazing. She gave results and was straightforward about possible treatment plans and outcomes. She took time to answer questions and explain everything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Sarah & Amy)
The nursing staff was amazing. Test results were given promptly on the same day and they responded to all questions within 30 min of leaving a message. Dr Kang’s assistant Diana is the most organized and professional person I have ever dealt with. She ensured every prescription was on time. She dealt with insurance no problem, scheduled appointments, and returned frantic phone calls within minutes, even when the office was closed.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell is an amazing practice. With offices in NYC and garden city it was very convenient. Everyone I spoke to or dealt with was amazing. I can not recommend Cornell enough. Every office was clean and every staff member was extremely helpful. Every office was able to take on many patients at once, all while giving indivualized care.
I have great insurance so I only had to pay lab fees and co pays when pregnant.

2016 - 2019
6 IVF, 6 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
I appreciate that she [Dr. Kang] is straightforward and she showed compassion for our unique medical hurdles that made genetic testing necessary. She might come across as blunt and by the book to some patients. Out of three failed cycles, with very high dose medication, she lowered it only once.... I feel like she does not deviate from Cornell's playbook.... I only saw my doctor once or twice during the actual monitoring for all three cycles.
Too much of a factory atmosphere. You feel like you see the entire Cornell staff for visits and retrieval. I only saw my doctor once or twice during the actual monitoring for all three cycles.... We required PGD/PGS testing and was very disappointed that Cornell would not/could not work with the company that was covered by insurance. I had to go with their lab and pay $4000 (2016) out of pocket for a probe that I never got to use with Cornell.
2016 - 2019
6 IVF, 6 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I appreciate that she is straightforward and she showed compassion for our unique medical hurdles that made genetic testing necessary. She might come across as blunt and by the book to some patients. Out of three failed cycles, with very high dose medication, she lowered it only once.
I think she is a very smart doctor, she is very straightforward, maybe too blunt for the liking of some people. I feel like she does not deviate from Cornell's playbook.
The facility was huge and I felt like another body there. It felt very clinical. At the time, I thought that was what I wanted and that being a part of a hospital clinic was the best route to go to ensure proper treatment and results.
Roughly wahat I can interpret from my records: Cycle #1- 450 Follistim, 150 Menopur- 13 days to yield 5 eggs, 5 mature and none made it to Day 5 Cycle #2- 150/225 Follistim, 75/150 Menopur- 16 days to yield 11 eggs, 8 mature and none made it to Day 5 Cycle #3- 225/300 Follistim/75/150 Menopur- 18 days to yield 5 eggs, 4 mature-- only 1 viable for Day 3 transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I always encountered a positive experience with the nursing staff during my monitoring visits as well as pre/post-retrieval monitoring.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Too much of a factory atmosphere. You feel like you see the entire Cornell staff for visits and retrieval. I only saw my doctor once or twice during the actual monitoring for all three cycles. She never performed my retrievals. I think there is some patient card to use for check in-- never offered me a card or explained what it would be used for. We required PGD/PGS testing and was very disappointed that Cornell would not/could not work with the company that was covered by insurance. I had to go with their lab and pay $4000 (2016) out of pocket for a probe that I never got to use with Cornell.
Monitoring hours was a well-run cattle call although sometimes waiting for an ultrasound could take a while.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had a concern about a particular medication and spoke to the doctor on call and being an IVF patient I was understandably panicked but was never disrespectful the doctor during the conversation...he was completely rude, nasty and condescending to me I made a complaint about him but still had to interact with him during various visits.
Upper East Side

Weill Cornell has a large volume of patients, and it's not cheap. But hopefully you get top notch treatment and that will make it all worthwhile. For daily monitoring, come as early as you can (ideally before 7 AM) to get in & out more quickly.... Thus far in my treatment at CRM, I have not felt like I had one particular assigned nurse or clinical coordinator. Would be really helpful for them to establish a single point of contact up front for clinical questions/issues, and in particular if you could communicate
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Kang has been great thus far - I appreciated that she did not immediately push us to IVF and instead took a more pragmatic approach of trying IUI. She did my first IUI, and then the 2nd cycle I asked to do a double IUI, both of which were performed by nurse practitioners. One thing I will say is I feel like the timing of the IUIs may not have been ideal. First cycle was only 22 hours post trigger (which seemed early), and 2nd cycle had IUIs at 26 & 51 hours (2nd seemed really late). I would prefer they teach you how to administer the trigger shot at home on your own so you can get the timing closer to 36 hours (my IUIs were all in the morning about 9:30-11). We're still awaiting results of 2nd cycle, but if it didn't work I'm going to push for that.
The clinic is busy and they talk fast. Be prepared with questions for each visit with her, or you can call & talk to her assistant (Diana) or the nursing staff. Especially when it's your first cycle I feel like you need to do this or you may wish later on you'd done things differently (it's expensive you want to maximize your odds of success each round).
Based upon the process thus far, we are happy we chose Dr. Kang. She has a nice demeanor, and is very easy to talk to but also professional & clinical. I've been fortunate to see her for all my monitoring ultrasounds at CRM except one (which was with an RE fellow). Given the volume of patients they have at the clinic, she is good with remembering our specifics and has been helpful in keeping our spirits up during what can be an emotional, difficult process.
First cycle, I went in for baseline bloodwork & ultrasound on Day 2, then took 100 mg Clomid/day for Days 2-6, monitoring bloodwork & ultrasound Days 12, 13 & 15, and trigger shot on Day 15 with IUI next morning (22 hours after trigger; 2.25 hours post collection). Had 3 mature follicles (16, 20, & 21) on day of trigger. Did not work and Dr. Kang said afterward that clomid had resulted in thinning of the uterine lining (endometrial stripe was 6.8 when triggered), so we would try letrozole/femara next round. Second cycle did baseline bloodwork & ultrasound on Day 4, with 5 mg letrozole/day for Days 4-8, monitoring bloodwork & ultrasound Days 11 & 15, and trigger shot on Day 15 with double IUI next 2 mornings (26 hours after trigger, 1.5 hours post collection, & 51 hours after trigger, 2 hours post collection). Had only 2 mature follicles (21 & 14) on letrozole but better uterine lining (9.4), but given my age if this cycle doesn't work she recommended going back to clomid to increase our odds with more follicles.
Thus far in my treatment at CRM, I have not felt like I had one particular assigned nurse or clinical coordinator. Would be really helpful for them to establish a single point of contact up front for clinical questions/issues, and in particular if you could communicate with them more directly via email, secure message etc. Sometimes you are not in a workspace conducive to being on the phone talking about your treatment, and at those times having an alternate method by which to communicate with their staff would be invaluable.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Weill Cornell has a large volume of patients, and it's not cheap. But hopefully you get top notch treatment and that will make it all worthwhile. For daily monitoring, come as early as you can (ideally before 7 AM) to get in & out more quickly. Also, it seems in 2019 they have enhanced their financial collection efforts - I had not even invoiced yet for coinsurance from my 1st cycle and they were asking me to pay the balance prior to starting my 2nd cycle.
Our insurance has a $30K lifetime max for infertility treatment so I've been tracking costs of everything really carefully. Would recommend putting it in a spreadsheet right away because there will be A LOT of insurance claims and it can get very confusing. Here's how it breaks down thus far (total for both husband & myself): o Diagnosis (physician consult, bloodwork/ultrasound, semen analysis & HSG test) = Billed charges ~$5,700; after discounts our insurance paid ~ $3,200; our cost sharing (deductible & coinsurance) ~ $900. o Genetic Testing (through Mt. Sinai Genomics/Sema4) = Billed charges ~$20,500; after discounts our insurance paid ~ $1,400; our cost sharing ~ $500 ** I think the billing staff at CRM said if the genetic testing was not covered by insurance it would only cost a few hundred dollars each, so was completely shocked by the enormous amount billed to our insurance. Wish they would have told us about that in advance (and fortunately our insurance confirmed genetic testing would not go toward our $30K lifetime maximum).** o IUI cycle #1 (medical) = Billed charges ~$4,600; after discounts our insurance paid ~ $3,300; our cost sharing ~ $300; o IUI cycle #1 (Rx-clomid & ovidrel) = after discounts our insurance paid ~ $70; our cost sharing ~ $130 o IUI cycle #2 (medical-estimate) = Billed charges ~$4,700; after discounts our insurance paid ~ $3,500; our cost sharing ~ $400; o IUI cycle #2 (Rx-letrozole & ovidrel) = after discounts our insurance paid ~ $50; our cost sharing ~ $120
Describe Hey-Joo Kang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
N/A - have not discussed since we are only doing IUI so far.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
For my 1st cycle it was a bit of a scramble to get the trigger shot (ovidrel) in time. CRM's prior authorization team did not submit the request to my Rx insurance when they should have, and it resulted in me having to spend a lot of time on the phone with CVS Caremark mail order specialty pharmacy trying to ensure I could get it in time from them or someplace else & pay out of pocket. At the end of the day it worked out (and absolute worst case you could pay for script in-house at CRM) but it was a lot of stress that could have been avoided if they acted in a more timely fashion. Just be sure to keep on top of them, and call Dr. Kang's assistant, Diana, if you run into a problem.

Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Kang was very honest and direct. She discussed all options and their potential risks. My husband often accompanied me to my appointments and she included him in the conversation (my previous doctor spoke down to my husband). She was warm and caring when we were struggling, and kept our optimism alive when we needed it most. Because there are so many patients at WC, there are times when other doctors cover the routine visits, but you mostly see Dr. Kang. I highly recommend her.
The clinic offers early morning hours so you can do routine daily visits before work. However, it is a popular clinic so the early morning waiting room can get very full very quickly. WC is well organized and the staff is knowledgeable. ... Dr. Kang recommend transferring 3 embroys for our second transfer. This was due to my age and underlying health conditions. It gave us the best possible chance and ended up in the birth of our son.
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be very clear with your intentions and hopes. When things get tough, know that Dr. Kang is very good at adjusting the protocol to get the desired results.
When expressing interest in natural therapies in addition to clinical, I was quickly dismissed. Also, at times, my appointments felt rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Jennifer and all the nursing staff are absolutely wonderful. So compassionate, caring, attentive, and organized.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
An IVF treatment, retrieval and transfer (sans medication) cost approximately $18,000
We didn't have a choice in our first transfer because only on egg made it to day 5. Dr. Kang recommend transferring 3 embroys for our second transfer. This was due to my age and underlying health conditions. It gave us the best possible chance and ended up in the birth of our son.
Upper East Side

She [Dr. Hey-Joo Kang] is very knowledgeable about her field. She is pleasant and takes her time to speak with you especially when you might feel emotional and stress about the process. Even when you do not get to speak with her directly, her staff always call back...She is very smart and pleasant. She takes her time to speak with me and validates my concerns. She is human and always present
I like the fact that all of them [nurses at Weill Cornell] are on the same page. I did not have a preference because I was confidence in all three of them. They always return my calls and explain the next step...It's clean and welcoming....The wait is not bad especially in the morning...Jessica is very pleasant too. she takes my blood for each visit...She [Dr. Hey-Joo Kang] is very knowledgeable about her field. She is pleasant and takes her time to speak with you especially when you might feel emotional and stress about the process. Even when you do not get to speak with her directly, her staff always call back.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She is very knowledgeable about her field. She is pleasant and takes her time to speak with you especially when you might feel emotional and stress about the process. Even when you do not get to speak with her directly, her staff always call back. I have gone to another provider for fertility treatment and my experience with her makes me want to complete this treatment. I a m having a very good experience.
Stay on top of your treatment. No such thing as stupid questions. The good thing is Dr. Kang and her team are quick to answer all questions.
She is very smart and pleasant. She takes her time to speak with me and validates my concerns. She is human and always present...It may not be her, but someone from her office always call back.
Coming from a bad experience, I just feel refresh with her and I understand my options better than the last experience. One thing I will never forget that she said to me was "have confidence in your body". By the time I saw her, I had given up on my body's ability to produce anything. Now my view of my body is so positive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Amy Sarah Jenifer- All 3 of them are pleasant people)
I like the fact that all of them are on the same page. I did not have a preference because I was confidence in all three of them. They always return my calls and explain the next step
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It's clean and welcoming. I am still not clear about the computer in the lobby, because I have never been introduce or told what to do. The wait is not bad especially in the morning. I think Dr. Kang is a super woman because every time I go for my visits, she is there...I always see her by herself and I don't know she does it. The amazing this even though, she is by herself, you do not waste time. By the way, Jessica is very pleasant too. she takes my blood for each visit
My insurance does not cover my treatment, so I will be responsible to the bill. Blood work and regular visits are covered. I will be responsible to pay between $11000-$15000
Long Island

The hours and location [of Weill Cornell] were convenient for me. Monitoring hours are from 7-9am on weekdays. I was able to stop in before starting my work day, and usually in and out within 30 minutes. Diana, the patient coordinator is super knowledgeable and extremely efficient. Vanessa, the nurse who draws your blood, is probably the best at what she does. Whenever a different nurse drew my blood it always hurt. Vanessa was always quick and painless.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I was referred to Dr. Kang by my regular OB whom I trust completely. When I first met Dr. Kang, I felt she was confident with her abilities to address my issues and I had no reason no to trust her. She first gauged my expectations, and I was okay with a more moderate approach (starting with Clomid and TI before moving to Clomid + IUIs, then injectables + IUIs, and finally IVF), since we weren't sure what exactly was keeping me from getting pregnant. Each cycle was adjusted to see how my body would respond. In the end, we found that I respond better to lower dosages of meds than higher ones. I think that Dr. Kang made the correct calls regarding my protocol.
Don't expect for her to spend a lot of time with you if you have no questions or concerns. However, if you do have questions or concerns she will make time for you and make sure you're comfortable with the information/procedures. I was a more "go with the flow" type of patient and didn't ask too many questions.
Weill Cornell Reproductive Medicine is a very large clinic. I mainly saw Dr Kang at the Long Island office so I mostly felt like I was treated like a human. It was only when I had to report into the UES office where you realize the sheer number of patients that go through that office a day, and feel like just a number.
When Clomid + TI didn't work, we moved to Clomid + IUI. We found that when I was on Clomid 100mg, I produced the same number of eggs as when I was on Clomid 50mg. For my 3rd IUI cycle, I was taking 150 Gonal-f injectables, which was also unsuccessful. My first IVF cycle, I was taking 300 Gonal-f + 150 menopur, which resulted in only 2 follicles and a canceled IVF. We ended up doing another IUI instead, which was also unsuccessful. For my second IVF cycle, my dosage was reduced to 225 Gonal-F, and 75 menopur, later adding cetrotide before retrieval. I produced 4 follicles, 3 mature, 1 immature, with 2 fertilizing, but only 1 making it to transfer.
I worked with Amy and Sarah. Amy is the NP at the Long Island office and Sarah is the NP at the NYC location. Amy led the IVF teach class and showed me how to use and administer my medications, as well as walked me through my protocol. She was always available to answer any questions I had, and if not, I would leave messages for Sarah, who would return my calls within a few hours in the same day. They were both very understanding when my insurance cap for medications ran out, and adjusted my prescription orders where necessary. Without them, I think I would have been so lost.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The hours and location were convenient for me. Monitoring hours are from 7-9am on weekdays. I was able to stop in before starting my work day, and usually in and out within 30 minutes. Diana, the patient coordinator is super knowledgeable and extremely efficient. Vanessa, the nurse who draws your blood, is probably the best at what she does. Whenever a different nurse drew my blood it always hurt. Vanessa was always quick and painless.
I would describe monitoring hours like a well-oiled machine. There was only one instance when there was a line for check-in, and the office should better explain how to use the kiosk to check in without cards. Once you are checked in, however, you don't wait more than 15 mins to get blood drawn and another 15 before your U/S.
My insurance covers 70% of infertility services, up to a certain amount. Infertility medications were also covered, up to a certain amount. I did have to pay for 30% of each blood test, ultrasound, and whatever balance was left from my IVF cycle + ICSI after my insurance allowance ran out.
Depends on your age. We would have liked to transfer 2, but I only have 1 viable to transfer on Day 3.

IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Kang is caring and compassionate and always treats us with respect....Dr. Kang is forward with information if asked and will always include me in the decisions. For example, when making a decision about how many embryos to transfer. Dr. Kang is caring and I feel like I'm more than just a number...I'm being referred to a hematologist before another transfer as Dr. Kang feels there may be an issue with adequate blood flow to the developing fetus.
So far one DER [atWeill Cornell] and two transfer puts us around $35,000....However, billing through insurance takes a very long time so I am unclear right now of the exact totals...The only complaints I have is the door slams and startles me and it is super quiet.i would prefer some light music in the waiting room. Otherwise, it is a pleasant and cleanly office. I am usually in and out for monitoring within 30 minutes and the early morning hours allow me to go prior to my work schedule.
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be ready to hear the whole truth--good or bad.
Dr. Kang is caring and compassionate and always treats us with respect.
My first transfer I took all the meds as prescribed (progesterone injections and vivelle patches) and had a negative beta. The second transfer, I was advised to take a baby aspirin and I received a positive beta. Now, I'm being referred to a hematologist before another transfer as Dr. Kang feels there may be an issue with adequate blood flow to the developing fetus. I feel as though each step gets me closer to a successful pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Christine Zotto)
Christine always calls with my levels and ensures I follow the protocol for my medications.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
So far one DER and two transfer puts us around $35,000. We do have some insurance coverage and are hoping this overall cost is much less. However, billing through insurance takes a very long time so I am unclear right now of the exact totals.
Dr. Kang advised just one embryo at a time for me due to the percentages and risks associated with multiples. I trust in Dr. Kang's professional advice.

Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Kang is very warm and does take the time to answer my questions when I have them. My appointments are usually very short since they are mostly monitoring and there are always a lot of people so it is easy to feel rushed. I had a few HSGs with her, which were painful for me and she was always very understanding and encouraging. She was also able to spend more time with me when I had an appointment as opposed to the monitoring visits. I do wish I had more time to spend with Dr. Kang, but she did encourage me with my personal situation from the get-go.
The place [Weill Cornell] is definitely a factory, so the face-to-face time is usually quite short...Monitoring hours are between 6:30 and 8:30 am so the waiting room is usually crowded. The staff is good about getting everyone checked in quickly and the nurses are constantly calling patients in so there is movement in the "line", but you just have to wait. The nurses drawing blood are quite skilled so the blood work is usually quick and painless. ..Jennifer (IUI nurse) was great. She was usually available when I called or at least gave me a call back that same day. Super organised and willing to answer my questions without rushing me off the phone.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Don't expect to have long appointments with her.
The place is definitely a factory, so the face-to-face time is usually quite short. Dr. Kang, however, is very good at still making me feel like she knows who I am. She's always very warm.
I started with natural IUIs because I have regular cycles and had good ovarian reserve etc. My "advanced" age is a factor we considered throughout as well as being single. I tried IUIs three times and all failed. I used donor sperm so my egg quality was seen as a factor. I had a blocked Fallopian tube as well, but after repeating the test, it eventually opened. To help with egg quality, she recommended I try CoQ10. We were going to try a medicated IUI, but based on my attempts, my age and egg quality, we went to IVF after failed IUI #3. I am just starting that cycle but it is much more complicated.
Jennifer (IUI nurse) was great. She was usually available when I called or at least gave me a call back that same day. Super organised and willing to answer my questions without rushing me off the phone. Diana, the care coordinator was also super helpful and she worked pretty seamlessly with Jennifer to schedule my IUIs and other appointments. The IVF team is different and I am just getting started there. The nurse I was assigned, Sarah, is different from Jennifer and a bit less warm and more "rushy". While I haven't had many interactions with her yet, so far I am not as satisfied as I was with the IUI nurse.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It's so busy. Monitoring hours are between 6:30 and 8:30 am so the waiting room is usually crowded. The staff is good about getting everyone checked in quickly and the nurses are constantly calling patients in so there is movement in the "line", but you just have to wait. The nurses drawing blood are quite skilled so the blood work is usually quick and painless. The system works like clockwork. The IUI scheduling didn't work out that great for me. They tell you to arrive by 8:30am, which is when the andrology lab opens. From there, if you are using frozen sperm, it is an hour-long thawing process, but it can be a long wait. For one IUI, I didn't actually get into the room for the IUI until after 10:30am (which I did not expect) so I was stressed out. I saw at least two other women in the waiting room who were also complaining about waiting for a long time. I don't know what they were in for, however. I would recommend that if you have other obligations, try to reschedule those obligations for hours later or another day if you go for an IUI. It takes much more time than they tell you.
My insurance covered most of my IUI appointments so I just had to pay co-pays.
Upper East Side

She [Dr. Kang] responded to my results with changes in protocol. Each round was more successful than the one before. Although we did not have success, we stuck with her because we felt the continuity of treatment was important. A kind and familiar face, Dr. Kang was a comfort during a challenging and stressful period of my life...She has good bedside manner. She always knew my medical history when I saw her. She throughly explained her recommendations. She was optimistic, perhaps overly so.
If you want a small clinic, this place [Weill Cornell] is not for you. I once counted 60+ patients in the waiting room on a Sunday morning. This said, I was rarely late for work due to morning appointments. The monitoring process is surprisingly fast. You will not always see your doctor; your doctor may not do your procedure...There were two or three nurses assigned to Dr. Kang. They were all kind and responsive, although you always have to leave a message when you call.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Kang was recommended to me by a friend. She has good bedside manner. She always knew my medical history when I saw her. She throughly explained her recommendations. She was optimistic, perhaps overly so. She responded to my results with changes in protocol. Each round was more successful than the one before. Although we did not have success, we stuck with her because we felt the continuity of treatment was important. A kind and familiar face, Dr. Kang was a comfort during a challenging and stressful period of my life.
Dr. Kang is very personable. From the beginning, she knew who I was and my medical history, without referencing notes or charts.
She felt that my first cycle was too long. She shortened the second cycle. After I reacted poorly to the second cycle as well, she put me on a low dose protocol. On a low dose protocol, I had 13 eggs retrieved. 7 were mature. 4 fertilized. 3 were good quality. They transferred 3 embryos on day 3, each of the three cycles. Each cycle was better than the preceding cycle, in terms of egg quality. Apparently, the meds were damaging the eggs. According to Dr. Kang this is due to poor egg quality. None of my remaining embryos made it to freezing. None of the transfers resulted in pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
I was generally pleased with Weill Cornell. They are very efficient given the volume they deal with. The staff members were always pleasant. If you want a small clinic, this place is not for you. I once counted 60+ patients in the waiting room on a Sunday morning. This said, I was rarely late for work due to morning appointments. The monitoring process is surprisingly fast. You will not always see your doctor; your doctor may not do your procedure. However, I did see Dr. Kang more often than not. I found Weill Cornell to be easier and more pleasant to deal with than NYU.
There were always tons of people in the waiting room. However, monitoring was a very efficient process.
Based on embryo quality and my medical history, she transferred 3 embryos each cycle. I felt this approach was appropriate.

3 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Kang has always made each decision a collaborative one... She is straightforward in presenting recommendations and tries to set realistic expectations. She makes an effort to do all of the transfers herself. I have found her to be very approachable, supportive, and thoughtful in planning out next steps along this journey... She presents the options and alternatives openly and honestly. She shares her recommendations but has always remained open to my wishes and preferences. I believe that she cares a great deal about her patients as people and wants the best for them medically and personally...
CCRM is extremely organized and efficient...I primarily went to the Garden City office which was small. The waits were generally ~ 10 min, and I always saw the same staff, so it felt quite friendly....~14,000-18,000/cycle (includes anesthesia, ICSI, clinic visits, egg retrieval, and transfer)... [Nursing staff] Excellent. They seem very well informed of my history and the calls always feel very personal...
European, Prefer not to answer
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at CCRM New York?
Dr. Kang is warm, caring, and honest. She is straightforward in presenting recommendations and tries to set realistic expectations. She makes an effort to do all of the transfers herself. I have found her to be very approachable, supportive, and thoughtful in planning out next steps along this journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hey-Joo Kang at CCRM New York?
My advice is not to be afraid to ask questions. She is very willing to answer them, and you are paying a lot, so you should ask whatever you need to in order to feel like you understand everything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hey-Joo Kang at CCRM New York?
Dr. Kang has always made each decision a collaborative one. She presents the options and alternatives openly and honestly. She shares her recommendations but has always remained open to my wishes and preferences. I believe that she cares a great deal about her patients as people and wants the best for them medically and personally.
Describe the protocols Hey-Joo Kang used in your cycles at CCRM New York and their degree of success.
I used an agonist/antagonist protocol for all of my cycles. I did a fresh transfer on all three during which I was trying to conceive. I got pregnant each time, although I unfortunately miscarried all of them, one of which we know was genetically normal.
Describe your experience with CCRM New York.
CCRM is extremely organized and efficient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at CCRM New York.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hey-Joo Kang at CCRM New York.
Describe Hey-Joo Kang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM New York.
I did two day three transfers where I transferred three embryos. I also did one day 5 embryo where I transferred two embryos.
CCRM New York

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Hey-Joo Kang at CCRM New York.

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Hey-Joo Kang] was hesitant about transferring multiple embryos due to the higher risk for multiple babies. We wanted to transfer 2 and she agreed knowing our history...She made sure to explain all the risks and such but she was open to what we wanted...She always made me feel so comfortable, and I saw her every appointment. If she couldn’t see me she made sure to ask me if I was ok seeing her colleague. She always gave me the time I needed and answered all my questions and never rushed me. Kept rooting for us during a cycle and always made us feel confident. I would highly recommend her to anyone and everyone!
They [nurses at Weill Cornell Medical College] were all amazing, warm and caring...Monitoring is done early in the morning and you sign in. Everyone is called according to when the signed in. It goes by very quickly...They are very well organized for a very busy clinic. You feel like you’ll wait forever but it goes very quickly. The clinic is clean and nice. It is also easy to find and get to. They are always available for any questions you may have and are polite.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She was extremely helpful every treatment and cycle. Always took the time to explain everything and answervall my questions and never rushed me. She was compassionate and understanding and made us feel very comfortable. She didn’t overwhelm us and wasn’t rude or harsh, she spoke to us with respect and care. I couldn’t say enough good things.
I went to a previous clinic where I met with a doctor, she wrote up a plan and than I never saw her again in that year I instead saw someone new every time I went. I switched to Cornell with Dr. Kang and was immediately happy that I did. She always made me feel so comfortable, and I saw her every appointment. If she couldn’t see me she made sure to ask me if I was ok seeing her colleague. She always gave me the time I needed and answered all my questions and never rushed me. Kept rooting for us during a cycle and always made us feel confident. I would highly recommend her to anyone and everyone!
We did clomid and iui for 3 cycles and planned to do gonal-f injections if those cycles didn’t work. They didn’t so we did one cycle of the injections and got pregnant, we heard a heartbeat but then at 8 weeks it was gone. We ended up doing a d&c. We decided to go straight to IVF after that being our 3rd loss.
They were all amazing, warm and caring.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Monitoring is done early in the morning and you sign in. Everyone is called according to when the signed in. It goes by very quickly, there are a bunch of nurses on staff to help it go quickly and amoothly so you wait at most a half an hour.
They take most insurances but mine only covered a few cycles.
She was hesitant about transferring multiple embryos due to the higher risk for multiple babies. We wanted to transfer 2 and she agreed knowing our history ofblosses. She made sure to explain all the risks and such but she was open to what we wanted.
Upper East Side

She [Dr. Kang] definitely knows what she's doing and has all the protocols down that she uses and can troubleshoot as the cycle progresses to get you where you need to be. She's very professional and quick when she needs to be during those morning appts when there are so many women waiting for their bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. You can feel rushed when you're with her but that's not totally her fault if the clinic takes on so many patients. I realize she's very busy but sometimes I would have preferred to talk to her directly instead of the nurse when they'd call with results and the instructions for the upcoming days...
There were set hours [at Weill Cornell] every morning that you would show up, first come first served so some days took longer than others. You'd sit in a large waiting area that was most of the time full, sometimes with limited seating. It was convenient because the hours were so early before I had to be at work.... I felt confident in their medical knowledge, services, etc. It was very convenient to where I lived and worked and that was a major strength since I spent so much time there, especially very early in the morning before work. A weakness would be so many patients and feeling like a number/assembly line. It's very expensive if you don't have insurance to cover any of the charges...
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She definitely knows what she's doing and has all the protocols down that she uses and can troubleshoot as the cycle progresses to get you where you need to be. She's very professional and quick when she needs to be during those morning appts when there are so many women waiting for their bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. You can feel rushed when you're with her but that's not totally her fault if the clinic takes on so many patients. I realize she's very busy but sometimes I would have preferred to talk to her directly instead of the nurse when they'd call with results and the instructions for the upcoming days.
Relax and go with the flow, realizing the clinic is very busy and can seem overwhelming while you wait each morning in the waiting room.
It's hard not to feel like a number when there are many women seen at this clinic, and they have to get through all those patients each morning, but I did feel a connection with her. There were times when we would get caught up in conversation and a nurse would come in to move her along to the next patient.
For the first 2 cycles with IUI, I think because of my advanced age I was on injectable fertility drugs vs oral. The first cycle was one IUI but the second cycle I did back to back day IUIs with 2 different sperm donors. Dr Kang recommended trying this in case there was an issue with the sperm, kind of a "why not" to cover all bases, though if it worked I wouldn't know who was the donor. If I remember correctly I took birth control pills for a little while to reset my ovaries before starting the next cycle. Had about a month off I think before starting injectables again for the IVF. With that cycle also gave daily progesterone injections after the transfer and for several weeks once I knew I was pregnant. I only had 4 embryos make it to day 3 so didn't have options of testing/sexing them. Utilized ICSI and transferred all 4. I think I was given <10% chance of getting pregnant, and of that <10%, <10% chance of having twins. I delivered fraternal b/g twins Nov 2016.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
For the most part they were to the point and quick. You could tell that had many patients to deal with and didn't have a lot of time to spend with you. They did their job well but lacking some bedside manner.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
There were set hours every morning that you would show up, first come first served so some days took longer than others. You'd sit in a large waiting area that was most of the time full, sometimes with limited seating. It was convenient because the hours were so early before I had to be at work.
For every dr appt or monitoring appt there was a copay coinsurance to pay, plus copay/coinsurance for blood work, andrology services. For the IVF there was a set fee that was pretty inclusive for the cycle.
My doctor stuck with the recommendation for my age which was 4 since I only had 4 anyway. She was hoping I'd have more than 4 so I could freeze some embyros. I have a feeling she may have transferred more if I had them and I consented since she really wanted this to work for me.
Upper East Side

I mistakenly paid out of pocket for two cycles [at Cornell] which were actually covered by my insurance. This was later credited back to me after I spotted the error and complained...Clinic is a zoo. No point-person designated from nursing team to your case. No means of contacting your doctor directly...Dr. Kang was very well-meaning, but she completely missed the mark in diagnosing my case with her cut-and-dry approach to my two late first-trimester losses. She concludes, based on my losses, thar my egg quality was more poor than my age of 32 would suggest, and chalked it up to genetics. What she failed to discover was that I do indeed have a mild case of PCOS. She was aware that my younger sister had a strong case of PCOS and never bothered to run any additional diagnostic blood work (testosterone levels, hemoglobin a1c), which are suggestive that I have it. If she had not been so dismissive, my issues might have been treated simply with metformin. Instead, I had 5 unsuccessful cycles with her over the course of a year. Complete waste of time. In addition, when it came to my thyroid, which was slightly elevated, she started me off on too high of a dose. When we later dialed it back, my body had become resistant to the lower dose. She should have been more measured in treating this condition. Similarly, with her dosage suggestion on my first injectable cycle, my estrogen skyrocketed and I was at risk of hyperstimulation. She never cautioned me not to exercise and should definitely have kept me on a more conservative dose.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
If yours is a very clear-cut case, you'll be okay. If there's the slightest ambiguity, however, you would be better served by a different RE.
I saw Dr. Kabg frequently during the course of monitoring, which helped me feel more connected to her.
As a means to address what she decided was poor egg quality, my treatments aimed to produce superovulation, thus increasing the possibility of releasing a healthy egg. I released multiple eggs with each treatment, and only had one pregnancy--a chemical pregnancy--resulting on the 5th cycle of treatment. This, after having gotten pregnant naturally relatively easily prior to seeing her.
No real point-person. One particular nurse was lazy, would have me coordinate directly with pharmacy to obtain contact info and to confirm they received the prescription.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
I mistakenly paid out of pocket for two cycles which were actually covered by my insurance. This was later credited back to me after I spotted the error and complained.
Upper East Side

She [Dr. Khang] talked about doing IVF at each meeting. She wouldn't give IUI a chance even when there was no medical basis for assuming IUIs would fail and IVFs would succeed. All my IUIs and IVFs with her failed, even though she told me I had a 50% chance for a take-home baby with my IVFs. She was amazed at the number of eggs retrieved and the visual quality of the embryos, and yet did not bother to explain or phone with a theory as to why my IVFs failed...In a HSG, she's too rough and doesn't succeed in threading the catheter into my uterus so instead she uses a pliar-like device that causes a lot of pain and damage/blood loss to the cervix. She instructs me to do an IUI 48 hours after the HCG trigger shot, even her nurse told me the timing was wrong...
It's an efficient clinic [Weill Cornel], they "process" hundreds of patients each morning. Most staff are friendly and remember you on a personal name basis if you cycle for several months. Because there are so many patients, it seems the doctors don't recall what you did in prior cycles - sometimes I find myself needing to remind them that I did X and it didn't work so let's try something else. There seems to be a lack of continuity of care, and that they don't care about whether IUI cycles succeed because they don't report those to the CDC...A nurse phoned in progesterone to a pharmacy, pharmacy told her they didn't have any that night, and she didn't bother to contact me to ask for an alternate pharmacy, she just went home for the evening...
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She makes up things (for example: my ovaries are "too small") to manipulate a patient to do the AMH blood test to push a 36 year old to do IVF after only 1 failed IUI. In a HSG, she's too rough and doesn't succeed in threading the catheter into my uterus so instead she uses a pliar-like device that causes a lot of pain and damage/blood loss to the cervix. She instructs me to do an IUI 48 hours after the HCG trigger shot, even her nurse told me the timing was wrong.
Try other doctors at Cornell. Avoid Dr. Kang.
At the Long Island office there was more time for questions versus the NYC office.
She talked about doing IVF at each meeting. She wouldn't give IUI a chance even when there was no medical basis for assuming IUIs would fail and IVFs would succeed. All my IUIs and IVFs with her failed, even though she told me I had a 50% chance for a take-home baby with my IVFs. She was amazed at the number of eggs retrieved and the visual quality of the embryos, and yet did not bother to explain or phone with a theory as to why my IVFs failed. She doesn't feel accountable or responsible to the patient after pushing me to do IVF for so long, to have good prospects, and then no pregnancy / very early miscarriage.
Nurse would contradict doctor's rationale as to IUI timing or timing and safety of mock trial transfer (do it during an IUI cycle after the IUI without caring about introducing an infection into the uterus while I might be pregnant).
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It's an efficient clinic, they "process" hundreds of patients each morning. Most staff are friendly and remember you on a personal name basis if you cycle for several months. Because there are so many patients, it seems the doctors don't recall what you did in prior cycles - sometimes I find myself needing to remind them that I did X and it didn't work so let's try something else. There seems to be a lack of continuity of care, and that they don't care about whether IUI cycles succeed because they don't report those to the CDC.
My insurance paid for blood work and ultrasounds but not for IUIs and IVFs.

Male Factor, Other
My primary doctor was Dr. Kang. I really liked her. She called me at important points of our cycle. Dr. Kliegman performed one of my ultrasounds and then my egg retrieval and I felt he was a little rough and did not have a warm bedside manner. When Dr. Kang called me the evening of my retrieval, she apologized for him. She was at another location on the day of my planned transfer and went out of her way to see me after her clinic and perform the transfer herself. She also trained/residency with my local ob-gyn, so maybe she felt like she needed to go out of the way to be more personable
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Expect to interact with multiple doctors in addition to Dr. Kang
Dr. Kang personally was fabulous and gave me a lot of personal attention, but she practiced in a very busy academic clinic setting. I didn't see the same doctor for monitoring appointments and she did not perform my egg retrieval. She did go out of her way to ensure she performed my embryo transfer. She personally called me with important developments throughout the cycle and I liked all the nurses and coordinators.
antagonist protocol (?) Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix. 2 weeks of suppression with OCPs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Amy, and ?)
Always answered phone calls and emails within a few hours. Very personable and approachable.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Truthfully, we cycled at Cornell because we were supposed to time with TESE. That being said, I was there as a tourist, so a busy clinic didn't bother me - I was just along for the ride and it was my first IVF so I didn't know what to expect. I was seen at the Upper East Side clinic, which was very clean, updated, and efficient. Monitoring appointments are performed early in the cycle by fellows in training, which I didn't min. My husband is in his fellowship and I work at a hospital, so I understand the necessity of learning/teaching. Later in the cycle all monitoring will be done by attending physicians - never technicians/nurses. All IVF coordinators were friendly and answered questions by email/phone within a few hours. Despite my recollection of having good communication with the IVF team, we actually had better communication on behalf of the urology staff. Some other patients I met seemed annoyed that they had to come to the Upper Eastside location on weekends for monitoring and procedures if they were otherwise being followed at another office location. We were paying completely out of pocket; payment was required in full within the first few days of monitoring. Also had to pay in full upfront for saline sonogram, retrieval anesthesia and facility fee since performed in an OR. There were extra embryology fees as well, since we had to use ICSI.
I had traveled for this cycle, so I was at the will of the clinic regardless of wait times. I would typically check in early and be done by 9 am. there were always a ton of women in the waiting room and all seemed to move pretty quickly.
~$11K for the cycle (not meds) and ~$2k for ICSI. $14K for micro-TESE and a surgeon stand by fee. Out of pocket for meds was about ~$5k Egg retrieval performed in an OR, so anesthesiologist and facility fee also required. Maybe covered by insurance if local.

2013 - 2014
I really feel like Dr. Kang and her team knew me and were invested in me getting pregnant. It's hard to believe with such a crowded waiting room - you know they have a lot of patients. But I never felt rushed, I felt like we were real partners in the whole journey. We felt like she gave us all the information we needed to make decisions and keep moving forward; she didn't confuse us, and she was able to relay info and options to us in a way that we completely understood, even if it was complicated. She thoughtfully answered every question we ever asked, no matter how silly or basic.
They [the nurses] called back quickly, delivered news with compassion, whether good or bad. They kept everything organized and got you answers when you needed them... I never found myself waiting excessively, even when it was especially crowded.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I was referred to Dr. Kang by a friend, and I will be forever grateful to her. I have since recommended Dr. Kang to numerous friends dealing with infertility. Because of her, not only do I have my beautiful twin boys, but I stopped feeling so sorry for myself during the process of trying to get pregnant. It was a process, and my husband and I felt like Dr. Kang was on our team. When the first IVF transfer took but then ended in a chemical pregnancy, we were sad and frustrated, but Dr. Kang made us feel like there was always a plan, always a goal to focus on, and we would just keep adjusting the plan until we reached our goal. She is incredibly straightforward, not super warm and fuzzy, but neither are we. I wasn't looking for a therapist or a friend, I was looking for a doctor who would guide us through this process and work with us until we got there. She didn't sugar coat things, but (different from a past experience with a different doctor) even when she was delivering bad news, I felt like she was our partner and that we would get through it. We felt like she gave us all the information we needed to make decisions and keep moving forward; she didn't confuse us, and she was able to relay info and options to us in a way that we completely understood, even if it was complicated. She thoughtfully answered every question we ever asked, no matter how silly or basic. And when we finally got pregnant with our twins (we transferred 2 embryos the second time during a natural/frozen cycle), and we heard the heartbeats, we cried, and Dr. Kang hugged us both, and it was a real celebration of finally achieving our common goal. We did not feel like we were just another medical chart. I still think of her often, and look forward to the day I return to her when we're ready for baby #3. I cannot speak more highly of her.
Listen to her, and remember that you're not looking for a BFF or therapist, you're looking for someone who will be your true partner in achieving your goal of getting pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Diana)
It was what you would expect from a top-notch facility. They called back quickly, delivered news with compassion, whether good or bad. They kept everything organized and got you answers when you needed them.
There were "monitoring hours," but since I was working full time, the early morning window didn't bother me. It was a pretty crowded waiting room, but organized and serene. Check-in was done by a personalized card with a barcode each patient had, which was really efficient. I never found myself waiting excessively, even when it was especially crowded.

1 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
With a small practice out in Garden City, LI, it never felt crowded and there was rarely anyone waiting in the waiting room. NP's also gave us the proper amount of attention. The only time it felt like an IVF factory was at the Cornell facility in the city for blood draws and procedures... Dr. Kang's practice, itself, felt very small and personal.
1 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Very nice, very sweet but very thorough and direct. Did a great job keeping us informed of our different protocols and the reasoning behind them. Also did a great job keeping our spirits high. As a fellow Asian American, my wife found it very easy to trust and relate to Dr. Kang. She was the perfect balance of warmth and bluntness. Compared to our previous doctor (Dr. Hershlog) and clinic, the difference was almost night and day. Dr. Kang's practice was efficient, organized, and didn't feel as much like a "IVF Factory" like other clinics.
Trust in the protocol that she develops for you and try your best to relax and stay confident. Save your stress for when dealing with your inevitable insurance issues (no fault of Dr. Kang or her practice). And when it comes time for the weekly/daily blood tests in the city, get to the hospital as early as you can since it gets crowded quickly since everyone is trying to squeeze it in before work.
With a small practice out in Garden City, LI, it never felt crowded and there was rarely anyone waiting in the waiting room. NP's also gave us the proper amount of attention. The only time it felt like an IVF factory was at the Cornell facility in the city for blood draws and procedures. But that is expected since it's a huge hospital. Dr. Kang's practice, itself, felt very small and personal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Nothing stood out negatively or positively. They performed their job and we had no qualms. They were helpful when called upon and we never felt like we were being brushed off.
2012 - 2013
If you express your distress/anxiety/disappointment clearly when things don't happen right away [Dr. Kang] will make adjustments.
It's large operation and clinic, which can make it feel impersonal...Nurse was very knowledgeable and accessible. Diana from records was extremely diligent and helpful in navigating the paperwork etc.
2012 - 2013
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I really liked Dr. Kang and her enjoyed her bedside manner. She is very knowledgeable and gives full detail and info of what is happening. I felt well educated under her care. She explained what were the first steps, then what we move to next if those don't work, and we were successful after injectables. That said, if you need more personal or emotional support she might not be right for you. I recommended her to a friend who did not have a positive outcome and has since moved to a different practice. I believe her choice has more to do with the overall size of Weill Cornell than Dr. Kang specifically, and she has moved to a smaller/more personal setting.
Speak up if you are uncomfortable or unhappy with how things are going - she will respond but if you don't say anything she will move through the steps in a fairly straightforward and methodical manner. If you express your distress/anxiety/disappointment clearly when things don't happen right away she will make adjustments. In general, it's the hardest advice to take to heart, but patience is truly key from one month to the next - be proactive but understand it can take many months.
It's large operation and clinic, which can make it feel impersonal. However that is also what makes it work well operationally and be efficient. I thought Dr. Kang brought the personal touch up quite a bit once she saw how upset I was after the first couple of times not working. Prior to that it was much more clinical, maybe too much so for some people.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Diana with records, Irene for nurse)
Upper East Side

First, she [Dr. Kang] made an extremely rude and insensitive comment when diagnosing my wife with endometriosis. She said "now you can be one of those women on the commercials". She spent very little time on initial visit and hardly explained anything. Every other visit afterwards she would come in the room, do what she wanted to do and leave. She'd roll her eyes and get agitated if we tried to ask questions.
The billing department [Weill Cornell Med College] is unprofessional; was constantly sent bills for services that were already paid and they did nothing to rectify even after calling them about it. Never returned calls either. Even the medical records department gave me attitude for simple matters. ... The over charge and do not have professional billing staff.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She is rude and superficial. She explained very little, spent very little time and mishandled our needs. We ended up seeing other physicians who actually spent time with us, explained everything and have had the results we hoped for originally. Our experience was more stressful than it should have been all because she did not take the time to explain things. Like that she wouldn't be doing the actual IUI but a resident instead. I work with physicians. I come from a family of physicians and her bedside manners are deplorable.
Choose another doctor at a different institution.
First, she made an extremely rude and insensitive comment when diagnosing my wife with endometriosis. She said "now you can be one of those women on the commercials". She spent very little time on initial visit and hardly explained anything. Every other visit afterwards she would come in the room, do what she wanted to do and leave. She'd roll her eyes and get agitated if we tried to ask questions.
Mediocre.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The billing department is unprofessional; was constantly sent bills for services that were already paid and they did nothing to rectify even after calling them about it. Never returned calls either. Even the medical records department gave me attitude for simple matters.
The over charge and do not have professional billing staff.
Upper East Side

Dr. Kang was a real person who communicated well. She did not sugar coat things but was sure to present both the positive and negative information related to each step of the process. I appreciated her thoroughness and also her ability to guide our decision process throughout...Be sure to ask questions and set expectations of how you'd like to receive information -- which is my guidance for the process generally for any doctor while going through this process...
It was a fairly efficient process of first come, first serve for monitoring appointments [at Weill Cornell - U East], which seemed to work well and you knew what to expect -- if you got there late, it would typically be more crowded and you would have to wait longer...Payments were required for the monitoring, egg retrieval, hospital fee for egg retrieval, ICSI, and transfers. My insurance covered up to a certain amount and thereafter for the procedures the clinic required full payment in advance...
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Generally the nursing staff was helpful and well informed, but sometimes did not seem to have all of the latest information.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
There are so many resource available to the patients and a range of expertise from the best doctors and fertility specialists in the industry. The clinic also tries to be very efficient with everyone's time and is understanding and courteous in their communications.
It was a fairly efficient process of first come, first serve for monitoring appointments, which seemed to work well and you knew what to expect -- if you got there late, it would typically be more crowded and you would have to wait longer.

4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Kang is a lover of numbers, and often communicates using statistics and percentages. She has had a lot of experience, and draws on that experience when speaking to patients about their treatment plan. While some people might find this comforting, I often became frustrated with Dr. Kang for what felt like a lack of a personalized approach. I sometimes had press her for her real opinion- it sometimes felt like she was being wishy washy about the treatment plan, or reluctant to give advice. Of course patients need to decide what's best for them , but Dr. Kang wasn't really willing to even participate in the weighing of options. She just gave us the facts and told us to decide what to do.
The nursing staff at Cornell are what make it a great clinic. My experience with each of the nurses/PAs was exceptional. These are the people who call you to give you results (sometimes daily) and who you call in a panic, so I think in some ways they become more important than your doctor...Dr Kang always seemed confused about why I was experiencing upset, and didn't want to hear about the circumstances surrounding my treatment (financial stress and so on). I didn't expect her to provide mental health services, but some empathy would have gone a long way.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Ask as many questions as you need. She tends to go very fast, but will respond well if you ask her to slow down and explain things.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Christine )
Hey-Joo Kang
She [Dr. Hey Joo Kang] seemed to care but had low hopes that my ovaries would produce enough eggs each time. She also was not supported of my plan to use a midwife during the pregnancy once I was discharged from the IVF clinic. Also I wish I could have spoken to her more - whenever I had a question and left a message for her, it was rarely her who called me back...Understand that she is part of a very big system and you have to play by their rules. It's not a personalized and intimate experience.
They [Cornell] function like a well oiled machine. But that means that the personal approach is out the window. Billing department takes their job very seriously and doesn't let bills slide. There's a bill for everything! Wait times are long especially if you arrive after 7am. But I felt that I was in expert hands throughout the entire experience...They [nursing staff] were more like educators and coordinators. Their schedules were very confusing, difficult to figure out who to call when.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She seemed to care but had low hopes that my ovaries would produce enough eggs each time. She also was not supported of my plan to use a midwife during the pregnancy once I was discharged from the IVF clinic. Also I wish I could have spoken to her more - whenever I had a question and left a message for her, it was rarely her who called me back.
Office visits were with her or more often with the on call doc. Had to go to the city and wait in huge waiting room with tons of other patients for blood draw and ultrasound.
Sorry I don't really remember.
They were more like educators and coordinators. Their schedules were very confusing, difficult to figure out who to call when.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
They function like a well oiled machine. But that means that the personal approach is out the window. Billing department takes their job very seriously and doesn't let bills slide. There's a bill for everything! Wait times are long especially if you arrive after 7am. But I felt that I was in expert hands throughout the entire experience.
Just took a very very long time and felt like I was a number to them. One in a million.
Around 10,500 each time.

Anovulation, Unexplained
Often felt like a number, she [Dr. Kang] practices evidence based medicine but could use a little more empathy. My husband thinks she is very robotic about her practice, I trust her skills. Have not yet had the outcome we desire but am still under her care because we do trust her.... 5 IUI with one chemical pregnancy IVF: Excellent results with gonal f / menopur stim cycle. FET with estrogen patches and PIO which resulted in an 8 week miscarriage
Many patients but everyone [at Weill Cornell] works quickly and fluidly. Phlebotomy is good, Andrology lab is in the same building. Wait times are reasonable and the monitoring hours are 6:30 to 8:30am daily Would recommend them to others but the waiting room does sometimes have children or reading material related to pregnancy... Often felt like a number, she [Dr. Kang] practices evidence based medicine but could use a little more empathy. My husband thinks she is very robotic about her practice,
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Often felt like a number, she practices evidence based medicine but could use a little more empathy. My husband thinks she is very robotic about her practice, I trust her skills. Have not yet had the outcome we desire but am still under her care because we do trust her.
Ask questions - she will tell you as much as you are interested in but otherwise will tell you next steps and does not always mentally prepare you for how long the process may be
Can expect calls with results with regularity. Easy to reach if needed
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Many patients but everyone works quickly and fluidly. Phlebotomy is good, Andrology lab is in the same building. Wait times are reasonable and the monitoring hours are 6:30 to 8:30am daily Would recommend them to others but the waiting room does sometimes have children or reading material related to pregnancy
Age based recommendations consistent with guidelines. Willing to to transfer 2 in age &lt;35 after long conversation