Weill Cornell Medical College

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolSUNY
ResidencyCornell
FellowshipCornell
1300 Franklin Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
1305 York Avenue
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Hey-Joo Kang to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Weill Cornell Medical College to a friend?
Dr. Kang is very knowledgeable and took time to go through each step and potential options with me and my husband. We could tell that she really cared about helping to make us parents. The only frustration was trying to talk with her about diet and supplements. She gave the impression that supplements and diet played no role in helping our chances of conceiving. I wish doctors would take a more holistic approach to treatment.
European, Other
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I would say to expect that Dr. Kang gets right to the point and will work with the patient to find the best course of treatment. But if the person is looking for her to seek the root of the infertility problem, Dr. Kang may not be the right choice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Kang was very caring and took time to explain every step to me and my husband. The only time I felt like a number was when she would ask if we had any questions and that's because it felt like she was ready to leave the room at that point and hurriedly answered our questions.
Describe the protocols Hey-Joo Kang used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
Prior to working with Dr. Kang, we had worked with another reproductive endocrinologist who had us go through two rounds of IUI. Dr. Kang explained that we had the option of trying more IUIs or going straight to IVF. We decided to do more rounds of IUI and Dr. Kang suggested we use Clomid with a trigger shot. The first round didn't work. Dr. Kang noticed that I only produced one egg with Clomid so she wanted to switch over to a more aggressive prescription (the name escapes me now). My insurance rejected covering the prescription, though, so instead Dr. Kang increased the dose of Clomid. The second round of IUI worked and we learned we were pregnant. Unfortunately, my HCG levels were not doubling as they should; we learned that there were two blighted ovums. I miscarried at twelve weeks. Dr. Kang saw me getting pregnant as positive and decided to try another round of IUI. The third round didn't work. At this point, Dr. Kang said it was time to move on to IVF. Unfortunately, my insurance didn't cover IVF, but my husband's did. We had to wait until December 2017 to enroll in his insurance (this was around Sept of 2017). While we were waiting, we decided to continue with IUIs and we started another round. Right before we went in to do the procedure, we learned that my insurance wasn't going to cover the IUIs anymore so we ended covering the costs for it and unfortunately that round didn't work either. Since my insurance declined to cover any more rounds, we decided to keep trying on our own while we waited to join my husband's insurance. In December, my husband learned that his company was joining a new insurance provider and that they do not cover IVF at all. We were devastated. We don't have $15K so we're currently saving up and in the meantime trying on our own. Once we have the money saved, we'll get going with IVF but we're not sure it will be with Dr. Kang because I have just switched jobs and am now up in the Bronx -- a little tough to get down to Weill Cornell in NYC on a daily basis.
I talked and dealt with a few different nursing staff throughout my time with Dr. Kang and they were all great. Very kind, compassionate, and knowledgeable. Any time I had a question, they would get back to me that same day.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The strengths of this clinic are in organization, care, available hours, knowledgeable staff, respect of patients. It weaknesses are in not working to understand the root of the issue and also in not recognizing and recommending holistic treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Most costs were covered by insurance so it was mostly the co-pay of $40 plus co-pay of medications which was around $15 for Clomid and $75 for the trigger shot. When my insurance didn't cover one of the IUI treatments, everything (sperm washing, IUI procedure, medications, co-pays, etc.) cost around $900.
Upper East Side
She [Dr. Hey-Joo Kang] is very knowledgeable about her field. She is pleasant and takes her time to speak with you especially when you might feel emotional and stress about the process. Even when you do not get to speak with her directly, her staff always call back...She is very smart and pleasant. She takes her time to speak with me and validates my concerns. She is human and always present
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She is very knowledgeable about her field. She is pleasant and takes her time to speak with you especially when you might feel emotional and stress about the process. Even when you do not get to speak with her directly, her staff always call back. I have gone to another provider for fertility treatment and my experience with her makes me want to complete this treatment. I a m having a very good experience.
Stay on top of your treatment. No such thing as stupid questions. The good thing is Dr. Kang and her team are quick to answer all questions.
She is very smart and pleasant. She takes her time to speak with me and validates my concerns. She is human and always present...It may not be her, but someone from her office always call back.
Coming from a bad experience, I just feel refresh with her and I understand my options better than the last experience. One thing I will never forget that she said to me was "have confidence in your body". By the time I saw her, I had given up on my body's ability to produce anything. Now my view of my body is so positive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Amy Sarah Jenifer- All 3 of them are pleasant people)
I like the fact that all of them are on the same page. I did not have a preference because I was confidence in all three of them. They always return my calls and explain the next step
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It's clean and welcoming. I am still not clear about the computer in the lobby, because I have never been introduce or told what to do. The wait is not bad especially in the morning. I think Dr. Kang is a super woman because every time I go for my visits, she is there...I always see her by herself and I don't know she does it. The amazing this even though, she is by herself, you do not waste time. By the way, Jessica is very pleasant too. she takes my blood for each visit
My insurance does not cover my treatment, so I will be responsible to the bill. Blood work and regular visits are covered. I will be responsible to pay between $11000-$15000
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I was referred to Dr. Kang by my regular OB whom I trust completely. When I first met Dr. Kang, I felt she was confident with her abilities to address my issues and I had no reason no to trust her. She first gauged my expectations, and I was okay with a more moderate approach (starting with Clomid and TI before moving to Clomid + IUIs, then injectables + IUIs, and finally IVF), since we weren't sure what exactly was keeping me from getting pregnant. Each cycle was adjusted to see how my body would respond. In the end, we found that I respond better to lower dosages of meds than higher ones. I think that Dr. Kang made the correct calls regarding my protocol.
Don't expect for her to spend a lot of time with you if you have no questions or concerns. However, if you do have questions or concerns she will make time for you and make sure you're comfortable with the information/procedures. I was a more "go with the flow" type of patient and didn't ask too many questions.
Weill Cornell Reproductive Medicine is a very large clinic. I mainly saw Dr Kang at the Long Island office so I mostly felt like I was treated like a human. It was only when I had to report into the UES office where you realize the sheer number of patients that go through that office a day, and feel like just a number.
When Clomid + TI didn't work, we moved to Clomid + IUI. We found that when I was on Clomid 100mg, I produced the same number of eggs as when I was on Clomid 50mg. For my 3rd IUI cycle, I was taking 150 Gonal-f injectables, which was also unsuccessful. My first IVF cycle, I was taking 300 Gonal-f + 150 menopur, which resulted in only 2 follicles and a canceled IVF. We ended up doing another IUI instead, which was also unsuccessful. For my second IVF cycle, my dosage was reduced to 225 Gonal-F, and 75 menopur, later adding cetrotide before retrieval. I produced 4 follicles, 3 mature, 1 immature, with 2 fertilizing, but only 1 making it to transfer.
I worked with Amy and Sarah. Amy is the NP at the Long Island office and Sarah is the NP at the NYC location. Amy led the IVF teach class and showed me how to use and administer my medications, as well as walked me through my protocol. She was always available to answer any questions I had, and if not, I would leave messages for Sarah, who would return my calls within a few hours in the same day. They were both very understanding when my insurance cap for medications ran out, and adjusted my prescription orders where necessary. Without them, I think I would have been so lost.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The hours and location were convenient for me. Monitoring hours are from 7-9am on weekdays. I was able to stop in before starting my work day, and usually in and out within 30 minutes. Diana, the patient coordinator is super knowledgeable and extremely efficient. Vanessa, the nurse who draws your blood, is probably the best at what she does. Whenever a different nurse drew my blood it always hurt. Vanessa was always quick and painless.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I would describe monitoring hours like a well-oiled machine. There was only one instance when there was a line for check-in, and the office should better explain how to use the kiosk to check in without cards. Once you are checked in, however, you don't wait more than 15 mins to get blood drawn and another 15 before your U/S.
My insurance covers 70% of infertility services, up to a certain amount. Infertility medications were also covered, up to a certain amount. I did have to pay for 30% of each blood test, ultrasound, and whatever balance was left from my IVF cycle + ICSI after my insurance allowance ran out.
Describe Hey-Joo Kang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Depends on your age. We would have liked to transfer 2, but I only have 1 viable to transfer on Day 3.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Kang is very warm and does take the time to answer my questions when I have them. My appointments are usually very short since they are mostly monitoring and there are always a lot of people so it is easy to feel rushed. I had a few HSGs with her, which were painful for me and she was always very understanding and encouraging. She was also able to spend more time with me when I had an appointment as opposed to the monitoring visits. I do wish I had more time to spend with Dr. Kang, but she did encourage me with my personal situation from the get-go.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Don't expect to have long appointments with her.
The place is definitely a factory, so the face-to-face time is usually quite short. Dr. Kang, however, is very good at still making me feel like she knows who I am. She's always very warm.
I started with natural IUIs because I have regular cycles and had good ovarian reserve etc. My "advanced" age is a factor we considered throughout as well as being single. I tried IUIs three times and all failed. I used donor sperm so my egg quality was seen as a factor. I had a blocked Fallopian tube as well, but after repeating the test, it eventually opened. To help with egg quality, she recommended I try CoQ10. We were going to try a medicated IUI, but based on my attempts, my age and egg quality, we went to IVF after failed IUI #3. I am just starting that cycle but it is much more complicated.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Jennifer (IUI nurse) was great. She was usually available when I called or at least gave me a call back that same day. Super organised and willing to answer my questions without rushing me off the phone. Diana, the care coordinator was also super helpful and she worked pretty seamlessly with Jennifer to schedule my IUIs and other appointments. The IVF team is different and I am just getting started there. The nurse I was assigned, Sarah, is different from Jennifer and a bit less warm and more "rushy". While I haven't had many interactions with her yet, so far I am not as satisfied as I was with the IUI nurse.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It's so busy. Monitoring hours are between 6:30 and 8:30 am so the waiting room is usually crowded. The staff is good about getting everyone checked in quickly and the nurses are constantly calling patients in so there is movement in the "line", but you just have to wait. The nurses drawing blood are quite skilled so the blood work is usually quick and painless. The system works like clockwork. The IUI scheduling didn't work out that great for me. They tell you to arrive by 8:30am, which is when the andrology lab opens. From there, if you are using frozen sperm, it is an hour-long thawing process, but it can be a long wait. For one IUI, I didn't actually get into the room for the IUI until after 10:30am (which I did not expect) so I was stressed out. I saw at least two other women in the waiting room who were also complaining about waiting for a long time. I don't know what they were in for, however. I would recommend that if you have other obligations, try to reschedule those obligations for hours later or another day if you go for an IUI. It takes much more time than they tell you.
My insurance covered most of my IUI appointments so I just had to pay co-pays.
Upper East Side
She [Dr. Kang] responded to my results with changes in protocol. Each round was more successful than the one before. Although we did not have success, we stuck with her because we felt the continuity of treatment was important. A kind and familiar face, Dr. Kang was a comfort during a challenging and stressful period of my life...She has good bedside manner. She always knew my medical history when I saw her. She throughly explained her recommendations. She was optimistic, perhaps overly so.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Kang was recommended to me by a friend. She has good bedside manner. She always knew my medical history when I saw her. She throughly explained her recommendations. She was optimistic, perhaps overly so. She responded to my results with changes in protocol. Each round was more successful than the one before. Although we did not have success, we stuck with her because we felt the continuity of treatment was important. A kind and familiar face, Dr. Kang was a comfort during a challenging and stressful period of my life.
Dr. Kang is very personable. From the beginning, she knew who I was and my medical history, without referencing notes or charts.
She felt that my first cycle was too long. She shortened the second cycle. After I reacted poorly to the second cycle as well, she put me on a low dose protocol. On a low dose protocol, I had 13 eggs retrieved. 7 were mature. 4 fertilized. 3 were good quality. They transferred 3 embryos on day 3, each of the three cycles. Each cycle was better than the preceding cycle, in terms of egg quality. Apparently, the meds were damaging the eggs. According to Dr. Kang this is due to poor egg quality. None of my remaining embryos made it to freezing. None of the transfers resulted in pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
There were two or three nurses assigned to Dr. Kang. They were all kind and responsive, although you always have to leave a message when you call.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
I was generally pleased with Weill Cornell. They are very efficient given the volume they deal with. The staff members were always pleasant. If you want a small clinic, this place is not for you. I once counted 60+ patients in the waiting room on a Sunday morning. This said, I was rarely late for work due to morning appointments. The monitoring process is surprisingly fast. You will not always see your doctor; your doctor may not do your procedure. However, I did see Dr. Kang more often than not. I found Weill Cornell to be easier and more pleasant to deal with than NYU.
There were always tons of people in the waiting room. However, monitoring was a very efficient process.
Based on embryo quality and my medical history, she transferred 3 embryos each cycle. I felt this approach was appropriate.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She [Dr. Hey-Joo Kang] was hesitant about transferring multiple embryos due to the higher risk for multiple babies. We wanted to transfer 2 and she agreed knowing our history...She made sure to explain all the risks and such but she was open to what we wanted...She always made me feel so comfortable, and I saw her every appointment. If she couldn’t see me she made sure to ask me if I was ok seeing her colleague. She always gave me the time I needed and answered all my questions and never rushed me. Kept rooting for us during a cycle and always made us feel confident. I would highly recommend her to anyone and everyone!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She was extremely helpful every treatment and cycle. Always took the time to explain everything and answervall my questions and never rushed me. She was compassionate and understanding and made us feel very comfortable. She didn’t overwhelm us and wasn’t rude or harsh, she spoke to us with respect and care. I couldn’t say enough good things.
I went to a previous clinic where I met with a doctor, she wrote up a plan and than I never saw her again in that year I instead saw someone new every time I went. I switched to Cornell with Dr. Kang and was immediately happy that I did. She always made me feel so comfortable, and I saw her every appointment. If she couldn’t see me she made sure to ask me if I was ok seeing her colleague. She always gave me the time I needed and answered all my questions and never rushed me. Kept rooting for us during a cycle and always made us feel confident. I would highly recommend her to anyone and everyone!
We did clomid and iui for 3 cycles and planned to do gonal-f injections if those cycles didn’t work. They didn’t so we did one cycle of the injections and got pregnant, we heard a heartbeat but then at 8 weeks it was gone. We ended up doing a d&c. We decided to go straight to IVF after that being our 3rd loss.
They were all amazing, warm and caring.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
They are very well organized for a very busy clinic. You feel like you’ll wait forever but it goes very quickly. The clinic is clean and nice. It is also easy to find and get to. They are always available for any questions you may have and are polite.
Monitoring is done early in the morning and you sign in. Everyone is called according to when the signed in. It goes by very quickly, there are a bunch of nurses on staff to help it go quickly and amoothly so you wait at most a half an hour.
They take most insurances but mine only covered a few cycles.
She was hesitant about transferring multiple embryos due to the higher risk for multiple babies. We wanted to transfer 2 and she agreed knowing our history ofblosses. She made sure to explain all the risks and such but she was open to what we wanted.
Upper East Side
She [Dr. Kang] definitely knows what she's doing and has all the protocols down that she uses and can troubleshoot as the cycle progresses to get you where you need to be. She's very professional and quick when she needs to be during those morning appts when there are so many women waiting for their bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. You can feel rushed when you're with her but that's not totally her fault if the clinic takes on so many patients. I realize she's very busy but sometimes I would have preferred to talk to her directly instead of the nurse when they'd call with results and the instructions for the upcoming days...
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She definitely knows what she's doing and has all the protocols down that she uses and can troubleshoot as the cycle progresses to get you where you need to be. She's very professional and quick when she needs to be during those morning appts when there are so many women waiting for their bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. You can feel rushed when you're with her but that's not totally her fault if the clinic takes on so many patients. I realize she's very busy but sometimes I would have preferred to talk to her directly instead of the nurse when they'd call with results and the instructions for the upcoming days.
Relax and go with the flow, realizing the clinic is very busy and can seem overwhelming while you wait each morning in the waiting room.
It's hard not to feel like a number when there are many women seen at this clinic, and they have to get through all those patients each morning, but I did feel a connection with her. There were times when we would get caught up in conversation and a nurse would come in to move her along to the next patient.
For the first 2 cycles with IUI, I think because of my advanced age I was on injectable fertility drugs vs oral. The first cycle was one IUI but the second cycle I did back to back day IUIs with 2 different sperm donors. Dr Kang recommended trying this in case there was an issue with the sperm, kind of a "why not" to cover all bases, though if it worked I wouldn't know who was the donor. If I remember correctly I took birth control pills for a little while to reset my ovaries before starting the next cycle. Had about a month off I think before starting injectables again for the IVF. With that cycle also gave daily progesterone injections after the transfer and for several weeks once I knew I was pregnant. I only had 4 embryos make it to day 3 so didn't have options of testing/sexing them. Utilized ICSI and transferred all 4. I think I was given <10% chance of getting pregnant, and of that <10%, <10% chance of having twins. I delivered fraternal b/g twins Nov 2016.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
For the most part they were to the point and quick. You could tell that had many patients to deal with and didn't have a lot of time to spend with you. They did their job well but lacking some bedside manner.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
I felt confident in their medical knowledge, services, etc. It was very convenient to where I lived and worked and that was a major strength since I spent so much time there, especially very early in the morning before work. A weakness would be so many patients and feeling like a number/assembly line. It's very expensive if you don't have insurance to cover any of the charges.
There were set hours every morning that you would show up, first come first served so some days took longer than others. You'd sit in a large waiting area that was most of the time full, sometimes with limited seating. It was convenient because the hours were so early before I had to be at work.
For every dr appt or monitoring appt there was a copay coinsurance to pay, plus copay/coinsurance for blood work, andrology services. For the IVF there was a set fee that was pretty inclusive for the cycle.
My doctor stuck with the recommendation for my age which was 4 since I only had 4 anyway. She was hoping I'd have more than 4 so I could freeze some embyros. I have a feeling she may have transferred more if I had them and I consented since she really wanted this to work for me.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Kang was very well-meaning, but she completely missed the mark in diagnosing my case with her cut-and-dry approach to my two late first-trimester losses. She concludes, based on my losses, thar my egg quality was more poor than my age of 32 would suggest, and chalked it up to genetics. What she failed to discover was that I do indeed have a mild case of PCOS. She was aware that my younger sister had a strong case of PCOS and never bothered to run any additional diagnostic blood work (testosterone levels, hemoglobin a1c), which are suggestive that I have it. If she had not been so dismissive, my issues might have been treated simply with metformin. Instead, I had 5 unsuccessful cycles with her over the course of a year. Complete waste of time. In addition, when it came to my thyroid, which was slightly elevated, she started me off on too high of a dose. When we later dialed it back, my body had become resistant to the lower dose. She should have been more measured in treating this condition. Similarly, with her dosage suggestion on my first injectable cycle, my estrogen skyrocketed and I was at risk of hyperstimulation. She never cautioned me not to exercise and should definitely have kept me on a more conservative dose.
If yours is a very clear-cut case, you'll be okay. If there's the slightest ambiguity, however, you would be better served by a different RE.
I saw Dr. Kabg frequently during the course of monitoring, which helped me feel more connected to her.
As a means to address what she decided was poor egg quality, my treatments aimed to produce superovulation, thus increasing the possibility of releasing a healthy egg. I released multiple eggs with each treatment, and only had one pregnancy--a chemical pregnancy--resulting on the 5th cycle of treatment. This, after having gotten pregnant naturally relatively easily prior to seeing her.
No real point-person. One particular nurse was lazy, would have me coordinate directly with pharmacy to obtain contact info and to confirm they received the prescription.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Clinic is a zoo. No point-person designated from nursing team to your case. No means of contacting your doctor directly.
I mistakenly paid out of pocket for two cycles which were actually covered by my insurance. This was later credited back to me after I spotted the error and complained.
Male Factor, Other
My primary doctor was Dr. Kang. I really liked her. She called me at important points of our cycle. Dr. Kliegman performed one of my ultrasounds and then my egg retrieval and I felt he was a little rough and did not have a warm bedside manner. When Dr. Kang called me the evening of my retrieval, she apologized for him. She was at another location on the day of my planned transfer and went out of her way to see me after her clinic and perform the transfer herself. She also trained/residency with my local ob-gyn, so maybe she felt like she needed to go out of the way to be more personable
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Expect to interact with multiple doctors in addition to Dr. Kang
Dr. Kang personally was fabulous and gave me a lot of personal attention, but she practiced in a very busy academic clinic setting. I didn't see the same doctor for monitoring appointments and she did not perform my egg retrieval. She did go out of her way to ensure she performed my embryo transfer. She personally called me with important developments throughout the cycle and I liked all the nurses and coordinators.
antagonist protocol (?) Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix. 2 weeks of suppression with OCPs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Amy, and ?)
Always answered phone calls and emails within a few hours. Very personable and approachable.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Truthfully, we cycled at Cornell because we were supposed to time with TESE. That being said, I was there as a tourist, so a busy clinic didn't bother me - I was just along for the ride and it was my first IVF so I didn't know what to expect. I was seen at the Upper East Side clinic, which was very clean, updated, and efficient. Monitoring appointments are performed early in the cycle by fellows in training, which I didn't min. My husband is in his fellowship and I work at a hospital, so I understand the necessity of learning/teaching. Later in the cycle all monitoring will be done by attending physicians - never technicians/nurses. All IVF coordinators were friendly and answered questions by email/phone within a few hours. Despite my recollection of having good communication with the IVF team, we actually had better communication on behalf of the urology staff. Some other patients I met seemed annoyed that they had to come to the Upper Eastside location on weekends for monitoring and procedures if they were otherwise being followed at another office location. We were paying completely out of pocket; payment was required in full within the first few days of monitoring. Also had to pay in full upfront for saline sonogram, retrieval anesthesia and facility fee since performed in an OR. There were extra embryology fees as well, since we had to use ICSI.
I had traveled for this cycle, so I was at the will of the clinic regardless of wait times. I would typically check in early and be done by 9 am. there were always a ton of women in the waiting room and all seemed to move pretty quickly.
~$11K for the cycle (not meds) and ~$2k for ICSI. $14K for micro-TESE and a surgeon stand by fee. Out of pocket for meds was about ~$5k Egg retrieval performed in an OR, so anesthesiologist and facility fee also required. Maybe covered by insurance if local.
2013 - 2014
I really feel like Dr. Kang and her team knew me and were invested in me getting pregnant. It's hard to believe with such a crowded waiting room - you know they have a lot of patients. But I never felt rushed, I felt like we were real partners in the whole journey. We felt like she gave us all the information we needed to make decisions and keep moving forward; she didn't confuse us, and she was able to relay info and options to us in a way that we completely understood, even if it was complicated. She thoughtfully answered every question we ever asked, no matter how silly or basic.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I was referred to Dr. Kang by a friend, and I will be forever grateful to her. I have since recommended Dr. Kang to numerous friends dealing with infertility. Because of her, not only do I have my beautiful twin boys, but I stopped feeling so sorry for myself during the process of trying to get pregnant. It was a process, and my husband and I felt like Dr. Kang was on our team. When the first IVF transfer took but then ended in a chemical pregnancy, we were sad and frustrated, but Dr. Kang made us feel like there was always a plan, always a goal to focus on, and we would just keep adjusting the plan until we reached our goal. She is incredibly straightforward, not super warm and fuzzy, but neither are we. I wasn't looking for a therapist or a friend, I was looking for a doctor who would guide us through this process and work with us until we got there. She didn't sugar coat things, but (different from a past experience with a different doctor) even when she was delivering bad news, I felt like she was our partner and that we would get through it. We felt like she gave us all the information we needed to make decisions and keep moving forward; she didn't confuse us, and she was able to relay info and options to us in a way that we completely understood, even if it was complicated. She thoughtfully answered every question we ever asked, no matter how silly or basic. And when we finally got pregnant with our twins (we transferred 2 embryos the second time during a natural/frozen cycle), and we heard the heartbeats, we cried, and Dr. Kang hugged us both, and it was a real celebration of finally achieving our common goal. We did not feel like we were just another medical chart. I still think of her often, and look forward to the day I return to her when we're ready for baby #3. I cannot speak more highly of her.
Listen to her, and remember that you're not looking for a BFF or therapist, you're looking for someone who will be your true partner in achieving your goal of getting pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Diana)
It was what you would expect from a top-notch facility. They called back quickly, delivered news with compassion, whether good or bad. They kept everything organized and got you answers when you needed them.
There were "monitoring hours," but since I was working full time, the early morning window didn't bother me. It was a pretty crowded waiting room, but organized and serene. Check-in was done by a personalized card with a barcode each patient had, which was really efficient. I never found myself waiting excessively, even when it was especially crowded.
1 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
1 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Very nice, very sweet but very thorough and direct. Did a great job keeping us informed of our different protocols and the reasoning behind them. Also did a great job keeping our spirits high. As a fellow Asian American, my wife found it very easy to trust and relate to Dr. Kang. She was the perfect balance of warmth and bluntness. Compared to our previous doctor (Dr. Hershlog) and clinic, the difference was almost night and day. Dr. Kang's practice was efficient, organized, and didn't feel as much like a "IVF Factory" like other clinics.
Trust in the protocol that she develops for you and try your best to relax and stay confident. Save your stress for when dealing with your inevitable insurance issues (no fault of Dr. Kang or her practice). And when it comes time for the weekly/daily blood tests in the city, get to the hospital as early as you can since it gets crowded quickly since everyone is trying to squeeze it in before work.
With a small practice out in Garden City, LI, it never felt crowded and there was rarely anyone waiting in the waiting room. NP's also gave us the proper amount of attention. The only time it felt like an IVF factory was at the Cornell facility in the city for blood draws and procedures. But that is expected since it's a huge hospital. Dr. Kang's practice, itself, felt very small and personal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Nothing stood out negatively or positively. They performed their job and we had no qualms. They were helpful when called upon and we never felt like we were being brushed off.
2012 - 2013
If you express your distress/anxiety/disappointment clearly when things don't happen right away [Dr. Kang] will make adjustments.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I really liked Dr. Kang and her enjoyed her bedside manner. She is very knowledgeable and gives full detail and info of what is happening. I felt well educated under her care. She explained what were the first steps, then what we move to next if those don't work, and we were successful after injectables. That said, if you need more personal or emotional support she might not be right for you. I recommended her to a friend who did not have a positive outcome and has since moved to a different practice. I believe her choice has more to do with the overall size of Weill Cornell than Dr. Kang specifically, and she has moved to a smaller/more personal setting.
Speak up if you are uncomfortable or unhappy with how things are going - she will respond but if you don't say anything she will move through the steps in a fairly straightforward and methodical manner. If you express your distress/anxiety/disappointment clearly when things don't happen right away she will make adjustments. In general, it's the hardest advice to take to heart, but patience is truly key from one month to the next - be proactive but understand it can take many months.
It's large operation and clinic, which can make it feel impersonal. However that is also what makes it work well operationally and be efficient. I thought Dr. Kang brought the personal touch up quite a bit once she saw how upset I was after the first couple of times not working. Prior to that it was much more clinical, maybe too much so for some people.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Diana with records, Irene for nurse)
Nurse was very knowledgeable and accessible. Diana from records was extremely diligent and helpful in navigating the paperwork etc.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Kang is caring and compassionate and always treats us with respect....Dr. Kang is forward with information if asked and will always include me in the decisions. For example, when making a decision about how many embryos to transfer. Dr. Kang is caring and I feel like I'm more than just a number...I'm being referred to a hematologist before another transfer as Dr. Kang feels there may be an issue with adequate blood flow to the developing fetus.
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be ready to hear the whole truth--good or bad.
Dr. Kang is caring and compassionate and always treats us with respect.
My first transfer I took all the meds as prescribed (progesterone injections and vivelle patches) and had a negative beta. The second transfer, I was advised to take a baby aspirin and I received a positive beta. Now, I'm being referred to a hematologist before another transfer as Dr. Kang feels there may be an issue with adequate blood flow to the developing fetus. I feel as though each step gets me closer to a successful pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Christine Zotto)
Christine always calls with my levels and ensures I follow the protocol for my medications.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The only complaints I have is the door slams and startles me and it is super quiet.i would prefer some light music in the waiting room. Otherwise, it is a pleasant and cleanly office. I am usually in and out for monitoring within 30 minutes and the early morning hours allow me to go prior to my work schedule.
So far one DER and two transfer puts us around $35,000. We do have some insurance coverage and are hoping this overall cost is much less. However, billing through insurance takes a very long time so I am unclear right now of the exact totals.
Dr. Kang advised just one embryo at a time for me due to the percentages and risks associated with multiples. I trust in Dr. Kang's professional advice.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Kang has always made each decision a collaborative one... She is straightforward in presenting recommendations and tries to set realistic expectations. She makes an effort to do all of the transfers herself. I have found her to be very approachable, supportive, and thoughtful in planning out next steps along this journey... She presents the options and alternatives openly and honestly. She shares her recommendations but has always remained open to my wishes and preferences. I believe that she cares a great deal about her patients as people and wants the best for them medically and personally...
European, Prefer not to answer
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at CCRM New York?
Dr. Kang is warm, caring, and honest. She is straightforward in presenting recommendations and tries to set realistic expectations. She makes an effort to do all of the transfers herself. I have found her to be very approachable, supportive, and thoughtful in planning out next steps along this journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hey-Joo Kang at CCRM New York?
My advice is not to be afraid to ask questions. She is very willing to answer them, and you are paying a lot, so you should ask whatever you need to in order to feel like you understand everything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hey-Joo Kang at CCRM New York?
Dr. Kang has always made each decision a collaborative one. She presents the options and alternatives openly and honestly. She shares her recommendations but has always remained open to my wishes and preferences. I believe that she cares a great deal about her patients as people and wants the best for them medically and personally.
Describe the protocols Hey-Joo Kang used in your cycles at CCRM New York and their degree of success.
I used an agonist/antagonist protocol for all of my cycles. I did a fresh transfer on all three during which I was trying to conceive. I got pregnant each time, although I unfortunately miscarried all of them, one of which we know was genetically normal.
Excellent. They seem very well informed of my history and the calls always feel very personal.
Describe your experience with CCRM New York.
CCRM is extremely organized and efficient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at CCRM New York.
I primarily went to the Garden City office which was small. The waits were generally ~ 10 min, and I always saw the same staff, so it felt quite friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hey-Joo Kang at CCRM New York.
~14,000-18,000/cycle (includes anesthesia, ICSI, clinic visits, egg retrieval, and transfer)
Describe Hey-Joo Kang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM New York.
I did two day three transfers where I transferred three embryos. I also did one day 5 embryo where I transferred two embryos.
CCRM New York
Dr. Kang was a real person who communicated well. She did not sugar coat things but was sure to present both the positive and negative information related to each step of the process. I appreciated her thoroughness and also her ability to guide our decision process throughout...Be sure to ask questions and set expectations of how you'd like to receive information -- which is my guidance for the process generally for any doctor while going through this process...
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Generally the nursing staff was helpful and well informed, but sometimes did not seem to have all of the latest information.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
There are so many resource available to the patients and a range of expertise from the best doctors and fertility specialists in the industry. The clinic also tries to be very efficient with everyone's time and is understanding and courteous in their communications.
It was a fairly efficient process of first come, first serve for monitoring appointments, which seemed to work well and you knew what to expect -- if you got there late, it would typically be more crowded and you would have to wait longer.
Payments were required for the monitoring, egg retrieval, hospital fee for egg retrieval, ICSI, and transfers. My insurance covered up to a certain amount and thereafter for the procedures the clinic required full payment in advance.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Kang is a lover of numbers, and often communicates using statistics and percentages. She has had a lot of experience, and draws on that experience when speaking to patients about their treatment plan. While some people might find this comforting, I often became frustrated with Dr. Kang for what felt like a lack of a personalized approach. I sometimes had press her for her real opinion- it sometimes felt like she was being wishy washy about the treatment plan, or reluctant to give advice. Of course patients need to decide what's best for them , but Dr. Kang wasn't really willing to even participate in the weighing of options. She just gave us the facts and told us to decide what to do.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Ask as many questions as you need. She tends to go very fast, but will respond well if you ask her to slow down and explain things.
Dr Kang always seemed confused about why I was experiencing upset, and didn't want to hear about the circumstances surrounding my treatment (financial stress and so on). I didn't expect her to provide mental health services, but some empathy would have gone a long way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Christine )
The nursing staff at Cornell are what make it a great clinic. My experience with each of the nurses/PAs was exceptional. These are the people who call you to give you results (sometimes daily) and who you call in a panic, so I think in some ways they become more important than your doctor.
Hey-Joo Kang
She [Dr. Hey Joo Kang] seemed to care but had low hopes that my ovaries would produce enough eggs each time. She also was not supported of my plan to use a midwife during the pregnancy once I was discharged from the IVF clinic. Also I wish I could have spoken to her more - whenever I had a question and left a message for her, it was rarely her who called me back...Understand that she is part of a very big system and you have to play by their rules. It's not a personalized and intimate experience.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She seemed to care but had low hopes that my ovaries would produce enough eggs each time. She also was not supported of my plan to use a midwife during the pregnancy once I was discharged from the IVF clinic. Also I wish I could have spoken to her more - whenever I had a question and left a message for her, it was rarely her who called me back.
Office visits were with her or more often with the on call doc. Had to go to the city and wait in huge waiting room with tons of other patients for blood draw and ultrasound.
Sorry I don't really remember.
They were more like educators and coordinators. Their schedules were very confusing, difficult to figure out who to call when.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
They function like a well oiled machine. But that means that the personal approach is out the window. Billing department takes their job very seriously and doesn't let bills slide. There's a bill for everything! Wait times are long especially if you arrive after 7am. But I felt that I was in expert hands throughout the entire experience.
Just took a very very long time and felt like I was a number to them. One in a million.
Around 10,500 each time.
Long Island
Dr kang was very personable and compassionate. after examining me she assured me that i would be pregnant in no time and i was roughly 3 weeks later. although that pregnancy resulted in miscarriage she showed empathy but was also a confidence booster.... I had 2 rounds of Chlomid and Ovidrel (trigger shot). After measuring eggs every other day she used Ovidrel 2days before the IUI. first 1 resulted in pregnancy but 6 week MC. 2nd time resulted in pregnancy so far this one is healthy.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr kang was very personable and compassionate. after examining me she assured me that i would be pregnant in no time and i was roughly 3 weeks later. although that pregnancy resulted in miscarriage she showed empathy but was also a confidence booster. she was great at encouraging me to keep going and assuring me that things was going to be ok and it was. i was pregnant again 6 weeks later. This time with a healthy pregnancy. so thanks to her.
Sometimes if the clinic is really busy you may not get to spend a lot of time with her.
straight forward they called your name when it was your turn.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
very nice and would answer questions no issues here.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Be prepared that sometimes the waiting room is packed during monitoring hours. however they move pretty fast. I've never been in the office a full hour. They get you in and out during those hours (630-830).
my insurance covered everything. i was only responsible for copays. however the frequency in which you see the dr results in 100s spent on just copays.
Upper East Side
She [Dr. Hey-Joo Kang] was an amazing doctor who was very compassionate and very knowledgable. I felt very safe and comfortable in her care....Just be aware that you don't always see her for every single visit and may not always have her for procedures...When that didn't not work twice I went onto ivf...I thought it was a little extreme but while I took a month off I got pregnant with a chemical pregnancy and decided right then that I agreed with dr.kAng and went thru with ivf.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She was an amazing doctor who was very compassionate and very knowledgable. I felt very safe and comfortable in her care.
She was very compassionate and remembered me and my husband each visit
I was diagnosed with egg quality issues so after a failed clomid cycle I went straight to injectables. When that didn't not work twice I went onto ivf...I thought it was a little extreme but while I took a month off I got pregnant with a chemical pregnancy and decided right then that I agreed with dr.kAng and went thru with ivf.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Sarah,Irene )
I was very nervous to go thru fertility treatments and the nurses I dealt with were very patient and kind.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
If you live on Long Island you can only be monitored 7-9 in garden city. If u need to be seen on weekends it is in Manhattan. Also all procedures are in Manhattan.
The garden city office was great and I was always seen quickly.
We spent around $25,000 out of pocket
Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I felt like a human because of the experiences I had communicating with Hey-Joo and things she remembered and questions she would ask me....Hey-Joo is an excellent communicator. She is positive, and energetic but also calming and empathetic. Hey-Joo was warm, friendly, funny, caring and supportive. I felt like she was my greatest advocate. She kept my spirits high but was also realistic. She knew when to be sensitive of my feelings and when to be real and honest. I completely trusted her and felt very taken care of.
Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Hey-Joo is an excellent communicator. She is positive, and energetic but also calming and empathetic. Hey-Joo was warm, friendly, funny, caring and supportive. I felt like she was my greatest advocate. She kept my spirits high but was also realistic. She knew when to be sensitive of my feelings and when to be real and honest. I completely trusted her and felt very taken care of. I highly recommend Hey-Joo to others.
Be prepared with questions to ask.
I had my right fallopian tube removed due to a hydrosalpinx, went on 50 mg and then 100 mg of clomid, injectable and two IUIs.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Clinic is well organized, quick to communicate, comfortable, clean, and supportive.
Around $2000
2012 - 2013
Dr. Kang was extremely compassionate and was the perfect physician for me as she explained all the details but did so in a very sensitive manner... She didn't want to be too aggressive in my initial treatments so it took me a few months to get pregnant but I appreciated that she only gave us the treatment plan that she thought was absolutely critical.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Kang was extremely compassionate and was the perfect physician for me as she explained all the details but did so in a very sensitive manner. Her demeanor and confidence made me trust her completely. She didn't want to be too aggressive in my initial treatments so it took me a few months to get pregnant but I appreciated that she only gave us the treatment plan that she thought was absolutely critical.
Be your own advocate and if you feel like you need additional support or testing, ask for it. She is very receptive to questions and requests.
Dr. Kang was incredible in making sure that I felt very comfortable with my treatment plan. There was a period of time when I was panicked that we would have to cancel a cycle and she personally called me at 10pm to go over our options. When I did great pregnant and she released me from her care, she got tears in her eyes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Irene)
It wasn't as easy to develop a relationship with the nursing staff since I never saw them in person.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
[Dr Kang was] very blunt. Difficult to get a hold of. After each negative beta, she never called first- I always had to get a hold of her. In the beginning she was fine, I had faith In Her but as I got to know her and after 4 failed attempts it seemed she gave up...It's [Cornell Reproductive Medicine] a factory! But they are very efficient and have good success rates. It's about finding a more experienced Doctor. The clinic is top notch and you just have to get over the factory like feeling.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Go to a more experienced Doctor
Very blunt. Difficult to get a hold of. After each negative beta, she never called first- I always had to get a hold of her. In the beginning she was fine, I had faith In Her but as I got to know her and after 4 failed attempts it seemed she gave up
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It's a factory! But they are very efficient and have good success rates. It's about finding a more experienced Doctor. The clinic is top notch and you just have to get over the factory like feeling. You get used to it after a while and it's not a big deal.
15k per cycle
Upper East Side
She [Dr. Kang] was very pleasant, up front, and comforting. The only downside is that they're always running late and each appointment I've waiting over an hour to be seen... So long as the office is convenient to your work/home and you have time to wait for your appointment, I'd definitely recommend seeing her.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Only downside is how long it takes to see her. She's really busy.
She was very pleasant, up front, and comforting. The only downside is that they're always running late and each appointment I've waiting over an hour to be seen.
Professional, quicky, compassionate
2009 - 2010
1 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
2009 - 2010
1 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She was always there for us. She cared.
Be honest with her about your situation. Make sure you spend time talking together, not just at her
She sat down with my regularly, answered emails and ALWAYS returned every call i made to her personally. We had discussions about what was best and she said I could always continue she would support whatever we wanted to do.
We did them ALL. You name it, we tried it.
they were kind
Mass of women, but orderly.
Total, all in: $100,000
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
She was warm, compassionate and understanding yet blunt and informative.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
She was warm, compassionate and understanding yet blunt and informative.
Upper East Side
As many times as I called she [Dr. Hey-Joo Kang] was right there with us. She is sensitive to our needs and I feel her compassion in each visit. We have been working with her for two years and I would recommend her to anyone...High dosages of medication while stimming, aware of changes in mood, communicated all with doctor and clinic. We were all on the same page as far as protocol.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
As many times as I called she was right there with us. She is sensitive to our needs and I feel her compassion in each visit. We have been working with her for two years and I would recommend her to anyone.
See her! Let her do her work and discuss options, be your own advocate, do your research and have some trust in the process.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Results come back later on in the day. Waiting for blood results often were after 5pm. I was sent bills without having my insurance run, and the mismanagement of some coding is a pain to get fixed. Signing in in the AM should be seamless and the machine to sign in isn’t always working or accurate
First come, first serve.