6.6

443.825.3340
Glen Burnie
203 Hospital Drive
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

There wasn’t much rationale [from Dr. Howard McClamrock]. I was just told what to do. I did 3 IUI cycles. One with clomid, one with femara, one with injectables. I requested using injectables...He is clearly well-read and knowledgeable. He is competent. He is not at all warm or personal/personable. There were several ultrasounds when he said absolutely nothing to me. I didn’t feel he was invested in my success. He made a few comments like “it’s no big deal” or “it doesn’t matter”. Those are hurtful because it matters tremendously to me. He didn’t offer any real insight into why we weren’t successful and he didn’t recommend altering our plan. If he spent 5 minutes explaining what he recommended changing and how it might improve our likelihood of success I would have continued treatments. While he may be knowledgeable, his lack of communication and interpersonal skills (and I don’t expect warm and fuzzy) was what made me leave that clinic.
The initial consult [at Shady Grove Fertility] was about $250. The labs associated with that consult were about $300. Each iui cycle was $1500...Nice facility. Convenient location. Efficient check in/check out. Had to pay $6 for parking at each visit - every lab draw or US! Weekend procedures were performed at a different office, which was annoying. And each iui was performed by a different physician...There wasn’t much rationale. I was just told what to do. I did 3 IUI cycles. One with clomid, one with femara, one with injectables. I requested using injectables.
How was your experience with Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do your own research first. Don’t expect explanations or reassurance. I think his approach is fine for a couple doing timed intercourse. You don’t need him - just his US results and meds. But for more complex treatments you want someone to explain things to you properly.
Describe the protocols Howard McClamrock used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The coordination here at first was absolutely lousy. I was totally misguided by a nurse, resulting in a month delay in treatment. I was made to feel like this was my fault. After that incident it was much better. But that initial bad communication made it a negative experience.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility.
The initial consult was about $250. The labs associated with that consult were about $300. Each iui cycle was $1500. We used my husband’s frozen sperm so that was $500 initially plus approximately $120 per cycle to thaw it.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
They were disorganized. Prescriptions were called in late a few times. And I had to remind them to call. Different nurses would call with results and they were unfamiliar with what type of cycle I was on (iui vs TI) or whether or not I was using a trigger or progesterone. They would ask me for that info when I was never informed!
Treated 2016
Dr. McClamrock is a man of few words unless you come to him with questions/concerns. My husband liked his personality since he was candid, and often referred to statistics - concrete information. I would have prefered more anecdotal information, as going through a fertility experience can be very isolating...I didn't feel as if he was reporting results to ME and MY case, but rather going through the motions of his evaluations.
Danielle [Nurse at Shady Grove Fertility] is very nice, and our communication is mainly when she provides test results...For my husband and I, the clinic location was a strong reason why we selected Shady Grove over Johns Hopkins. With the amount of visits that need to happen throughout a cycle it was very convenient for us. That being said, Shady Grove Harbor East is very easy to reach. Mersedie answers the phone, and is familiar with patients names and faces over time. This creates a less sterile experience.
How was your experience with Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. McClamrock is a man of few words unless you come to him with questions/concerns. My husband liked his personality since he was candid, and often referred to statistics - concrete information. I would have prefered more anecdotal information, as going through a fertility experience can be very isolating. I would visit his office for my Day 3 bloods and monitoring throughout the cycle. He would enter the room, perform the U/S and tell me things looked good, and the number of follicles. I would need to ask if my number was sufficient, should it be more/less, etc. I would respond better to a physician that would be willing to sit and paint the picture of the appointment and the meaning. During the journey there is a lot to learn!
Ask questions to get answers. He won't overwhelm you with information if you don't seek it out.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. McClamrock is very candid and thorough when asked detailed questions. Without questions he will not dive into detail. I found if I didn't ask questions, he wouldn't offer explanation. I didn't feel as if he was reporting results to ME and MY case, but rather going through the motions of his evaluations.
My husband and I were both tested, and diagnosed with "unexplained fertility". The first line of treatment for us was IUI. This treatment with Clomid and trigger should ideally help the the sperm close to the egg, and result in pregnancy. We are hopeful it will work although we understand IUI cycles only have approximately a 20% chance of working.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Danielle is very nice, and our communication is mainly when she provides test results.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance is pretty good, so I pay a $20 co-pay per visit and all of our infertility testing has been covered 100%. If I ever had a billing issue Mersadie would resolve it right away.