5.8

1919 Midwest Road
Oakbrook, IL 60523
630 916 8630

2013 - 2018, Successful
He [Dr. Tur-Kaspa] has always showed compassion in my case but is mostly straight to the point kind of doctor. He did advise against transferring 2 embryos but of course it was my decision & he respected that. He did try to talk me out of it at one point. In the beginning when I was new to infertility & IVF I would have preferred him to explain the process a little bit more.
The lab [at IHR-Chicago] is always upbeat & friendly even though it is so early in the morning. I like how they operate. The front desk staff is ok, they could be friendlier in my opinion, although i have to say Vicki, who has been there since I have started going there is very friendly & personable. The ultrasound tech priya I wanna say her name is, I hope, is very friendly & knows what she is doing. Marissa could use some customer service skills & is never friendly when I go in. It seems like she hates her job. The office space is really nice & updated compared to the old office on the north side. I do dislike that there is no patient parking lot though. I also don't like that surgeries are done offsite downtown. It would be more easy & conveinient if everything could be done in the same office in my opinion.
How was your experience with Ilan Tur-Kaspa at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr Tur-Kaspa is a nice doctor, he knows what he's doing for sure because he helped me to conceive my twin boys. He has always showed compassion in my case but is mostly straight to the point kind of doctor. He did advise against transferring 2 embryos but of course it was my decision & he respected that. He did try to talk me out of it at one point. In the beginning when I was new to infertility & IVF I would have preferred him to explain the process a little bit more. Going in not knowing if you are ever going to conceive you just kind of go with the flow & trust the doctor. If I had known what I know now I would have skipped IUI & went straight to IVF after 1 failed attempt. As a patient I am pretty satisfied & have decided to go back to him for further treatment because I am comfortable & trust him as my doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ilan Tur-Kaspa at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Do your research & have your questions ready to ask. It is so overwhelming to go to a fertility doctor & there is a lot of information that will be given to you. I wish that I had done more research & asked more questions at first after being diagnosed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ilan Tur-Kaspa at Institute for Human Reproduction?
At times I felt like a number when the nurses would call with results. Sometimes it seemed like they just read from a script. Also there is a ultrasound tech there that is not very friendly who I dread getting when I am there. Most of the times I feel good and like a human though.
Describe the protocols Ilan Tur-Kaspa used in your cycles at Institute for Human Reproduction and their degree of success.
I don't remember the protocols because they were done in 2013 but I do have a timeline for my next IVF cycle which includes labs & ultrasound at day 3 & then birth control & metformin for 2 to 3 weeks, hsn & if all goes well I will start IVF injections.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Institute for Human Reproduction.
In 2013 there was a nurse coordinator that I dealt with was named Vernita. She was an ok nurse but sometimes would not get back to me in a timely manner. In 2018 when I went back she is no longer there & there are a few new nurses that I have dealt with. It is never just one nurse & I feel that it is not so personable right now. I am sure they all can read the notes & access the same records but I feel that sometimes without having one nurse with you the whole time it is not ideal. I have never even met any of the nurses in person despite asking to meet one at one of my visits.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
The lab is always upbeat & friendly even though it is so early in the morning. I like how they operate. The front desk staff is ok, they could be friendlier in my opinion, although i have to say Vicki, who has been there since I have started going there is very friendly & personable. The ultrasound tech priya I wanna say her name is, I hope, is very friendly & knows what she is doing. Marissa could use some customer service skills & is never friendly when I go in. It seems like she hates her job. The office space is really nice & updated compared to the old office on the north side. I do dislike that there is no patient parking lot though. I also don't like that surgeries are done offsite downtown. It would be more easy & conveinient if everything could be done in the same office in my opinion.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Human Reproduction.
I love the monitoring hours there. It is very convenient in my opinion because you can go anytime between 6 and 9 or 9:30am especially if you work you can get it done before work usually. It is pretty well run & in an organized matter. The visits usually are no longer then 10-15 minutes which I like. The lab department loves their job, they are always friendly & upbeat so early in the morning.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ilan Tur-Kaspa at Institute for Human Reproduction.
I have insurance so my costs were minimal in my opinion. I don't recall the specifics. I do want to add his office is pretty pricey to store your embryos compared to friends who have theirs stored at other facilities. I think that it should be a bit more affordable.
Describe Ilan Tur-Kaspa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Yes he strongly advised me against transferring 2 embryos at a time. He still suggests that I only transfer 1 embryo due to my young age.
Chicago
I like the doctor [Dr. Ilan Tur-Kaspa] a lot, he’s honest and open and candid about his method of treatments. His accent is a bit hard to understand sometimes but I was ok with that. He was compassionate and understanding in several situations. He called personally many times when I felt upset or frustrated with the nurses...We did 3 egg retrievals and never changed protocol because I responded well each time during stims. He has suggested several things that weren’t originally discovered - genetics test, HSN, removal of a large polyp. He does more testing to prevent heartache and I appreciate his thoughral approach.
It’s a small, boutique office [IHR - Chicago] and everyone knew me by name, including the other doctor who treated me several times. Friendly staff...They completely disregarded how taking steroids could significantly impact my glucose levels and didn’t make me aware what I’m taking which resulted in very high (almost 300) blood glucose levels, a mild panic attack and adjustment in an insulin regiment to get those levels down prior to transfer - which resulted in a chemical...We didn’t originally start on a good note and I had to switch nurses but then went back to the original nurse after things settled down. Their worst human is their financial lady, she’s not nice at all. I like their phlebotomist a lot, very patient and kind.
I like the doctor a lot, he’s honest and open and candid about his method of treatments. His accent is a bit hard to understand sometimes but I was ok with that. He was compassionate and understanding in several situations. He called personally many times when I felt upset or frustrated with the nurses.
See a second opinion and compare.
It’s a small, boutique office and everyone knew me by name, including the other doctor who treated me several times. Friendly staff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
They need to be more organized. It’s fristrating when you’re being asked “what are we doing today”... open my file and read why I’m here. It’s upsetting when there is a major medical issue and it’s in my chart but overlooked almost at every ultrasound and I have to remind them. It’s frustrating when their front end staff doesn’t pick up calls and let it go to vm. Their waiting room needs captions on TV. They need to offer wipes in the bathroom for better after consult/US cleanup.
Super convenient and very organized. They had a sign Jon sheet between specific hours and I never had to wait long as I went during less busy time 9-9:30am.
Expensive! We spent $48K (30 insurance paid but we maxed it) and that’s NOT including meds. Absolutely ridiculous, Especially the PGS part with freezing and biopsy was $5790! $3500 transfer, $1,000 - ERA test.
He will not transfer multiple embryos if they’re PGS tested.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Chicago

Dr. Tur-Kaspa always had a great attitude and sense of humor and treated me warmly. I could tell he was personally determined. During the few times you'll get to consult with him, he is patient and lets you take to your time, but you need to be prepared with questions. I also really got along with most of the staff and nurses as well...Dr. Tur-Kaspa performed a hysteroscopy, an egg retrieval, and a transfer. I never experience any discomfort or pain, not even after the hysteroscopy, which I thought was amazing. (I had another hysteroscopy earlier on, and that was performed by Dr. Cohen of IHR.) One egg retrieval plus PGS resulted in 9 embryos down from 16 (which is a really great number), and after just one transfer, I was pregnant. While the IUIs were very frustrating, I don't know if I can complain much now that I had such great IVF results.
My first nurse [at Institute for Human Reproduction], which I had most of the time i was there, was very difficult to talk to, it was difficult to get a hold of her to ask questions. I had to think of and ask a lot of questions. My second nurse that took over after the first nurse left IHR seemed much more professional and was easier to talk to....For the IUIs, I took one or two doses of clomid for five days, then ovidrel trigger after b/w and u/s monitoring, and a couple days after IUI, started progesterone support. Sometimes also included estrace/estradiol. For IVF, injections of menopur, follistim (adjusted as necessary based on ultrasounds), and then ganarellix, and finally, before the retrieval, leuprolide injection. In prep for the transfer, I was on estrace, progesterone, and medrol. Also, always lots of antibiotics. On estrace and progesterone until week 10. As far as I know, there was nothing particular about this protocol tailored to me as there weren't any special circumstances. This retrieval resulted in 34 eggs though I never had any symptoms at all; I felt perfectly normal the whole time, no discomfort whatsoever.
Do you as much as your own independent research as possible and ask a lot of questions so that you understand the process and timeline, whether IUI or IVF. For example, with my partner and my busy work/travel schedule, I had to understand the timelines very well to be able to plan or postpone certain treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
My first nurse, which I had most of the time i was there, was very difficult to talk to, it was difficult to get a hold of her to ask questions. I had to think of and ask a lot of questions. My second nurse that took over after the first nurse left IHR seemed much more professional and was easier to talk to.
The PGS testing (which was outsourced to a lab) was $4,500 for up to 8 embryos and $250 for each additional.
Because we did PGS testing, it wasn't a question for him whether we would take the risk of multiple because doctor said he had a 70% success rate with single embryo transfers after PGS testing.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?