Medical SchoolAlbert Einstein
FellowshipU. of Pennsylvania
9850 Genesee Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037
858-552-9177
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Irene Su to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Partners Fertility Center to a friend?
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr Su is a great communicator, she is very honest and also very real. She was sweet and hopeful, but told us like it is. ... My partner and I did reciprocal IVF; I carried her egg. Her follicle count was low, so her medications were adjusted according to her needs, and there were specific instructions for her multiple injections every night. After her eggs were retrieved, Dr Su got me ready for the transfer
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Irene Su at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center?
Dr Su is a great communicator, she is very honest and also very real. She was sweet and hopeful, but told us like it is. We had a 12% chance of having a viable egg, and we ended up with a healthy baby boy! She was up front about everything and always explained the steps we were going through. She listened to our concerns and answered every question. I was afraid I was miscarrying very early on, and they got us in right away, a day before our appointment even, and made sure everything was okay.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Irene Su at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center?
Definitely see Dr Su!!! She is our favorite person ever. She is such a great doctor and all around amazing person.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Irene Su at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center?
Dr Su was so personable and really showed that she cared about me and my partner. She talked to us like we were family; she was very honest but also hopeful. She was always happy to see us and always helped us with any questions we had and never rushed us.
Describe the protocols Irene Su used in your cycles at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center and their degree of success.
My partner and I did reciprocal IVF; I carried her egg. Her follicle count was low, so her medications were adjusted according to her needs, and there were specific instructions for her multiple injections every night. After her eggs were retrieved, Dr Su got me ready for the transfer. I had to wear estrogen patches on my stomach, which gave me a very bad rash (I looked like a human Connect 4 board), so she switched me to vaginal suppositories (so much better). I had to do progesterone injections in my butt every night, which was difficult, but I did it. We were worried I had an ovarian cyst before we started my cycle, but it went away on it’s own after following up with my OBGYN, so we didn’t have to do anything about that. She did say my uterus is slightly heart-shaped, so if I miscarried we would see if something needed to be done to prevent any future issues, but luckily I carried to term with no issues.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Brittnie Heatherington)
Brittnie was AMAZING! She was so sweet, always listened to our concerns and answered our questions thoroughly. I probably called her every single day in the first few weeks of treatment and even after pregnancy. She was great about returning calls and emails.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
Everyone is so caring and so compassionate. They all remembered our faces and our names. I even had to go in on Christmas Eve to have blood drawn and get more medications and people were there, every single day. They would not take days off because “cycles dont take days off.” I really appreciated their dedication to their patients. I would recommend RPFC to everyone I know.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Irene Su at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
It was expensive because we chose to do reciprocal IVF, using my partners eggs and I carried.
Describe Irene Su's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
Dr Su only does eSET because she does not want to risk having multiple embryos grow, as these pregnancies are much harder and more high-risk. I am so glad we only transferred one embryo because I couldn’t imagine if I was pregnant with twins and something went wrong because of that.
La Jolla

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Irene Su at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Su was responsive to the emotional roller coaster of the process and always available to take my calls. ... She is knowledgeable, straight forward, but also incredibly compassionate and hopeful regardless of the situation. She took time outside of an appointment to speak with me and even did not charge me after a difficult appointment. ... Dr. Su started me with IUI since my infertility was really unexplained.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I have recommended her to everyone I know seeking fertility support. She was amazing. She is knowledgeable, straight forward, but also incredibly compassionate and hopeful regardless of the situation. She took time outside of an appointment to speak with me and even did not charge me after a difficult appointment.
To ask lots of questions since she does an excellent job of thoroughly explaining the process and answering all questions.
Dr. Su was responsive to the emotional roller coaster of the process and always available to take my calls. The first few weeks of my pregnancy were really rough and she was available when I needed her
Dr. Su started me with IUI since my infertility was really unexplained. I had a ruptured appendix as a child so scar tissue is likely the culprit as well as the fact that I have only one ovary due to the appendix rupturing. I also had fibroids that were removed followed by 2 failed IUIs. She recommended a third IUI, but as we were paying out of pocket she was fine with our decision to move straight to IVF. I met with her to review the entire process, received my drug list, and an outline of the timeline. I ordered the drugs and called the clinic the first day of my period to start the egg retrieval process. They sent me a calendar with a list of the drugs and quantities I needed to take daily. My hormones have always been normal, so the protocol was textbooks. Egg retrieval was scheduled on day 13 or 14. The clinic collected 17 eggs, 13 fertilized, and 3 made it to blastocysts. Two were good quality and one was fair. All were frozen and we transferred on the following cycle. It worked the first time and I have a daughter that is now 4. I did bleed on and off from 6-12 weeks during the pregnancy. We transferred the other two at later dates, but neither one took. Only later did I find out that my uterus now has a defect and did not heal properly after my c-section.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: I had multiple coordinators )
The nursing staff are top quality and extremely empathetic to what there patients are experiencing.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
This is the best place in San Diego with some of the highest success rates. The clinic is great, but they will tell you it is mostly due to the lab staff and embryologists. The only thing I would say is a weakness is that some of the doctors have a very different approach and may not be completely informed on where you are and your needs. There are a couple of reasons it is unrealistic to think you will always see the same doctor - every appointment is based on your cycle, doctors are human and need time off on occasion, and being hopped up on hormones makes you sensitive the fact that some doctors have colder hands than others!
I took out a $20,000 loan that covered egg retrieval and two transfers. Drugs were at an additional cost and were about $3,000-4,000.
She’s pretty strict if you are healthy and have a good shot at getting pregnant. She didn’t even really give us an option to do anything else! My safety was the priority and to her the reward is not worth the risk if you have your chances are high.

2015 - 2019
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Tubal Blockage
Dr Su, while very matter of fact and somewhat robotic in nature, has an incredible ability to relate to her patients and takes a true interest in them and their experience. I felt like she cared and put us first at all times. She wanted it as bad as we did. I always felt comfortable because she created comfort. She explained everything clearly to us, answered our questions and gave us honest opinions when prompted.
2015 - 2019
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Tubal Blockage
Ask lots of questions and don't be shy asking her to dumb things down for you.
I don't remember specifics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Brittnie Hetherington)
Strength - She was very thorough and compassionate. She made us feel comfortable. Weakness - Not the best at drawing blood from someone with small veins.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
Strength - They are excellent at explaining options, walking you through the process, giving feedback, empathizing with you in tough times and celebrating any good news. They are also very organized, timely and consistent in their performance. Weakness - Billing process was slow and difficult to understand at times as bills lagged and weren't as consistent. They would work with us on billing, but you needed to follow closely.
Don't remember exactly. Much of it was covered by insurance.
I appreciated her approach in explaining both options and what they would consist of. She made it clear what either could result in mating it clear for us to decide on eSET.
La Jolla

DR. Su has always made me feel like its always possible. She never made me feel like its not possible because of my age or whatever reasons we are seeing her. She is always encouraging and always available for any questions... Dr Su makes you feel special. She cares about every step and cheers you on... Dr. Su decided that on my second egg retrieval if I had more than two embryos then we would freeze 2 or under
be patient and believe
Dr Su makes you feel special. She cares about every step and cheers you on
Dr. Su decided that on my second egg retrieval if I had more than two embryos then we would freeze 2 or under. I currently have two frozen now (they were frozen on day three) and we are doing the transfer in about three weeks
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Charlene)
she is patient with me with my questions. there is a lot of unknown in this process and Charlene always made me feel like no question is a dumb question
Describe your experience with Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
the strengths are that it is a lovely waiting room. this is important when you are waiting for this sort of situation. you need a warm nice environment. there is a fish tank. the music is nice and all the front desk staff are warm, friendly and always eager to help. even if you want a glass of water they always go above and beyond
12,500 per cycle. plus around 6k for medication per cycle
Dr. Su recommended that we transfer two embryo. They did talk to me about Single embryo transfer...but I didn't really ask questions when she suggested to transfer two
La Jolla

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Su was my fertility doctor and during the initial ultrasound found a giant tumor and was the person who ordered the MRI. ... Through the whole experience she was realistic, communicative, accessible, compassionate, and always inspired confidence that I was in good hands. ... I was on very high dosage of meds to produce results. I had very differently sized ovaries so the timing was critical. She had predicted 0-2 embryos and I ended up with 1.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Su was my fertility doctor and during the initial ultrasound found a giant tumor and was the person who ordered the MRI. She was also the person who was able to offer me fertility preservation options due to the possible hysterectomy due to the tumor. Through the whole experience she was realistic, communicative, accessible, compassionate, and always inspired confidence that I was in good hands.
She is top-notch, and will always be direct with you.
Dr. Su always took the time to explain everything to me. She is direct and doesn't dance around issues, and I appreciated that.
We had a random start because of the cancer surgery date. I was on very high dosage of meds to produce results. I had very differently sized ovaries so the timing was critical. She had predicted 0-2 embryos and I ended up with 1.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Britt and Natalie)
THey are a wonderful team. They are on top of their schedules, attentive, responsive. The service couldn't be better.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
I arrived to this clinic because I am a UCSD patient in their OB/GYN office. The clinic was highly recommended, especially because of the lab. I have since only heard excellent things about the office, and I'm so glad I chanced upon it, mostly through the high-caliber network of doctors whose care I was under for cancer. They are organized and provide top human-to-human contact and care. I heard that IVF is only as good as the lab is--and that this lab is excellent.
Drugs, embryo freezing, egg retrieval, monitoring = around $20,000
I only had one embryo so this is n/a.