Medical SchoolU. of California Davis
FellowshipUCSF
55 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
415-834-3095
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Isabelle Ryan to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific Fertility Center to a friend?
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Ryan is very present and was very responsive to all of our questions and concerns.... My partner and I were trying a second transfer with an embryo created using his sperm and a donor's egg. Unfortunately, it resulted in a negative pregnancy result... Dr. Ryan was very caring, however when I pressed her about next steps and diagnostics, she stated that she did not think anything was "wrong" with me, and that she would want to do 4-6 more transfers before doing any diagnostic procedures.
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
I like Dr. Ryan a lot. I've read some reviews critiquing her "bedside manner" but I only experienced her positively. My partner and I were trying a second transfer with an embryo created using his sperm and a donor's egg. Unfortunately, it resulted in a negative pregnancy result, which was deeply disappointing, as it was our final option at PFC for transfer. Dr. Ryan was very caring, however when I pressed her about next steps and diagnostics, she stated that she did not think anything was "wrong" with me, and that she would want to do 4-6 more transfers before doing any diagnostic procedures. This, of course, sounded crazy to us - from both an emotional and financial point of view.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Even though we did not get the desired result, she seems like an excellent doctor and was very caring.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Isabelle Ryan used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We did one IVF transfer, with a tested, euploid embyro created with my partner's sperm and a donor egg. I took estrogen and progesterone leading up to, and for a couple weeks after, the transfer. There was no pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Alvi)
All of the nursing staff and care coordinators at PFC that I dealt with were great.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
PFC is a boutique clinic, and you will be well treated and attended to. They are responsive and clear about logistics and protocols. That said, I feel like I just threw away a bunch of money after two transfers (with donor eggs) that did not work. Given that the numbers are supposed to be so much better with donor eggs, and the fact that no one has given me any reason that we would not be successful going this route, I don't have the most positive feeling about PFC. Of course, there are probably many people who have had successful outcomes there, so this is just my experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center.
San Francisco
Dr. Ryan was very encouraging even when it felt like a long never ending road, but in the end she was right on and set clear expectations and met them...Although she may not make small talk, she is always there to answer questions and never rushes you...Dr. Ryan was excellent. Although her fist impression on the phone was not the best, in person she explained everything clearly. She proceeded to be very caring, very thorough and I trust her immensely. I would highly recommend her. C
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Ryan was excellent. Although her fist impression on the phone was not the best, in person she explained everything clearly. She proceeded to be very caring, very thorough and I trust her immensely. I would highly recommend her. Communication with the nurses was also easy over email and the online portal kept everything very organized. At times fertility treatment can be overwhelming but the staff, nurses and doctors all make it as easy as it can be.
I was diagnosed with annovulation a and possible PCOS. I had tried letrozole for several months prior to seeing Dr. Ryan (with my ob/gyn). We tried IUI with letrozole twice without any success. I then had a very successful egg retrieval (34) and had the eggs tested and then frozen (20). We then did the first transfer with only a brief chemical pregnancy, but the second time it worked and I'm now 10 Weeks pregnant.
They were always very clear on what to do next with calendars and always took time to explain all the injections and procedures. They were also very responsive by email and phone.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
It's a nice space with kind people. They were always on time. The cost were always straightforward. I just wish I had had more assistance coordinating with my insurance company.
I don't remember this off hand but it is all clear on the website. It was straightforward.
2013
2013
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Isabelle Ryan has a very direct, succinct, blunt manner. That didn’t bother me at first, but at a later stage in my care I realized that many crisply communicated statements really glossed over important nuances, and areas of uncertainty. Our meetings were always very quick, and I left thinking I had gotten all the information I needed, but it’s hard to know what you don’t know. As a small example, I was a first-time patient, and it was never communicated to me that at PFC my doctor likely wouldn’t be performing my retrieval surgery. I now know this is very common, but this shouldn’t be communicated to a patient the first time in the middle of a stimulation cycle. Most importantly, I feel she handled my case poorly from a medical standpoint, and made critical errors which, subsequent doctors pointed out, introduced unnecessary risk. She and her care team overlooked disturbing symptoms that I had and, in retrospect, gave me a treatment which was dangerous rather than helpful. This aspect of my case would not apply to most patients, but I think it speaks to a lax attitude about complications, and an unwillingness to take the time to think beyond the obvious norms. Finally, she was coordinating care with an outside specialist, and the communication about the status of this coordination was bad -- I realized months later that the tests from the outside specialist had actually given me the opposite results that Dr. Ryan had used in her assumptions and care.
I probably would see a different doctor unless you are ready to go home and independently fact check what you hear, and almost act as your own secondary doctor.
It was somewhere in the middle. The clinic is not an over-crowded factory type atmosphere, but I sometimes felt like a number because important details of my care often slipped through the cracks. I felt that Dr. Ryan’s care team, in particular nurse coordinator Doris Dalida at the time, didn’t do a good communicating clearly about my specific case, but would speak more generically meaning important details were left out.
Before cycling she had my husband and I do prophylactic antibiotics (zithromax and cipro). First cycle (which ended in a cycle cancellation with no retrieval): 3 weeks birth control pills, started 200 IU Follistim & 75 IU Menopur, this was increased but not sure to what levels. Never triggered because cycle was canceled for poor response. Second cycle: Removed IUD; no birth control pills. Estrace priming before cycle start (4 mg daily). At baseline ultrasound start micro-dose lupron (10 units, twice per day); then starting dose 300 IU Follistim and 150 IU Menopur. Trigger 10,000 IU hCG. Resulted in 19 eggs retrieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Doris Dalida)
I found Doris, Dr. Ryan’s nurse coordinator to be very underwhelming. She wasn’t very helpful in providing the information I needed and was not helpful in organizing my overall care. There were other nurses who was nice, but I never felt that I had someone really competent, who cared, who was on top of things for me.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic definitely feels like a spa, so physically it’s a nice place to be considering the number of appointments involved in a cycle. I didn’t feel that people at the clinic were on the same page or coordinated in an organized way. They have different coordinators for everything (e.g. clinical nurse coordinator, financial coordinator), which made me assume there would be a lot of individual subject matter expertise, but the reality was they were rarely in sync and I found myself repeating a lot.
Not sure how much we paid for the first canceled cycle. Second cycle where we did a retrieval was about $12,000, though they gave us a $1,500 discount because of issues in our first cycle, and because we were self-pay patients. This did NOT include all of the lab tests and drugs, which added several thousand dollars, or the $1500 to Natera which is the outside reference lab used for PGS testing.
Describe Isabelle Ryan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
Recommended eSET with PGS, but did not do a transfer at PFC so it wasn’t a lengthy discussion.
2009 - 2011
13 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
I did feel certain Dr. Ryan was on my team through the process. She was supportive and kind and professional. I didn't want to hear the news she was ultimately able to convince me of (that my lack of success was "120% due to egg quality") so I think I continued too long with attempting each method of treatment. Not sure what else she could have done to get through to me, but I do wish I hadn't put my body through so many medicated IUIs, for example.
2009 - 2011
13 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Really listen and ask questions to make sure you aren't just hearing what you want to hear. She will help you make a plan.
She showed compassion and support. I really felt like she was rooting for me.
My treatments were so long ago ... I don't remember specifics. I did 10+ IUI. #7 resulted in a pregnancy that was not viable. 1 IVF and 1 cancelled IVF.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
At my first appointment, the receptionist asked if my partner would be joining me. I was single. That was agony and hard to get past. Otherwise, I remember feeling pretty welcome.
I've blocked out the specifics - the costs were high.
I do remember she was very helpful on advising the number to transfer. I understood the pros and cons.
2006 - 2009
She was very thorough in describing the processes involved in IVF and I appreciated that. My only complaint was her failure to warn me of all the risks with the ectopic pregnancy. Perhaps she thought I knew how dangerous they are, but I did not. I had no idea.
2006 - 2009
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
i would say that she was blunt, but i didn't mind blunt. some people might be put off by her somewhat cold bedside manner but i didn't mind. she was very thorough in describing the processes involved in IVF and i appreciated that. my only complaint was her failure to warn me of all the risks with the ectopic pregnancy. perhaps she thought i knew how dangerous they are, but i did not. i had no idea.
If you want Dr. Ryan to be very thorough in how much information she gives you, ask for it, and i think she will oblige.
i really liked most of the staff at PFC. They were efficient and kind. There was one nurse who gave us incorrect medical information, which i reported to Dr. Ryan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center.
She was very good and patient. I asked a lot of questions to make sure I got everything right and she answered all of my questions with great compassion. Also, if I remember correctly, think the scheduling sheet (for my IVF cycles) was much easier to follow and understand than the one I had at Cornell.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Although I only had one pregnancy at PFC and it was an ectopic pregnancy, i can't help but think that the fact that I was able to get pregnant at all, led me to be able to get pregnant again.
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Dr Isabel Ryan is smart and patient she knows that this is a difficult situation and clarified any questions we had. She was open about what the next steps would be and did not sugar coat anything. She asked us to call her anytime we had any questions and when my husband needed further clarification we received it by talking to dr Ryan.... She informed me that with previous doctors results she does not see me naturally using my own eggs
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
To ask lots of questions and write down anything you may forget.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: A team of people )
Everyone was nice and understood that we were there because of something difficult that was happening.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic is. Lean and everyone is friendly. The weaknesses would be trying to get a quick appointment is a little difficult. You would need to wait at least 2 weeks to get in all of your appointments in.
Just going in to see the doctor is $350 every time. We have the cost for the genetic counselor any medications from $10-500 any blood work is around $200 and so much more
2 Eggs Frozen
1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
I felt no warmth from Dr. Ryan. The one positive thing she did was encourage me to start the process ASAP, but it felt more like because she wanted to get more cycles and patients under her belt versus it being in my best interest. Because of her approach, I delayed starting and almost didn't move forward at all.... She did not come across as sincere to me. It felt like this was a job to her and she did not truly care about my results and the outcome. When explaining the details of egg freezing, she seemed bored having to go through the materials with me.
2 Eggs Frozen
1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
If you like a straight-up, less warm doctor, Dr. Ryan is a good choice.
Responsive but perhaps not good at getting back to me with Dr. Ryan's feedback and thoughts on a particular question.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Organized, responsive and professional. Very well staffed. Facilities are extremely new, but almost too nice. Great location and view in San Francisco. Great injection training classes, access to nurses, and recommendations to acupuncturists.
San Francisco
She is a great doctor; smart, conservative, and compassionate. I would recommend her to my friends. Only thing you won't get from her is non-traditional medical advice. She is strictly by the book...DR. Ryan is a perfect mix of a doctor that will give it to you straight and be compassionate at the same time.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
She is great and will answer all your questions. Bring everything you want to the table, she'll get you the answers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Alvi )
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Pacific Fertility Center.
Egg Retrieval costs were close to 9K; Making the embyro's were about 6K; transfer was 2,500; and icsi was about 2K.
We were highly recommended to only put in one single embryo for our transfer because we did chromosomal testing.
San Francisco
She [Dr Ryan] is great and explains all details, science and probabilities. I like data and stats - so it was what I was looking for....I travel a lot for work so we [Pacific Fertility Center] worked around my travel schedule and insurance company policies. That was perfect for my situation. We did egg counts, several rounds of blood work, diet recommendation, in order to prepare. 13 eggs harvested and 9 healthy viable eggs frozen. Great numbers for a 37 yr old.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
She is great and explains all details, science and probabilities. I like data and stats - so it was what I was looking for.
She's very thorough - and great with details and data
Very thorough with explanation and situation. Went thru all possibilities
I travel a lot for work so we worked around my travel schedule and insurance company policies. That was perfect for my situation. We did egg counts, several rounds of blood work, diet recommendation, in order to prepare. 13 eggs harvested and 9 healthy viable eggs frozen. Great numbers for a 37 yr old.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Rosalyn)
They always answered my questions quickly
State of the Art. Clean. Accommodating
$2500 retrieval $100 per visit $800 all meds $300 blood work $9000 total
2011 - 2012
She [Dr. Ryan] is professional and very kind. It's obvious she knows what she is doing and you trust her for that. She is wonderful and very reassuring. She is always gentle and explains things completely. I saw her every visit and she always made time for me....I found the drugs and dosage prescribed and used very effective....You're in good hands....Gorgeous facility [Pacific Fert Ctr], in a beautiful location right on the bay. The staff was always so happy and welcoming.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
She is professional and very kind. It's obvious she knows what she is doing and you trust her for that. She is wonderful and very reassuring. She is always gentle and explains things completely. I saw her every visit and she always made time for me.
You're in good hands.
I found the drugs and dosage prescribed and used very effective.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Gorgeous facility, in a beautiful location right on the bay. The staff was always so happy and welcoming. I especially loved the fairy mobiles they had hanging in each exam room. It was soothing and very relaxing.
I can't recall
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
Dr Ryan was clear, warm and the right combo of optimistic/realistic...Know that she operates in a team environment so even if she's your preferred doc, you won't always get her.
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
know that she operates in a team environment so even if she's your preferred doc, you won't always get her
Dr Ryan was clear, warm and the right combo of optimistic/realistic
Dr. Herbert's nursing staff was outsanding. Ryan's was working out some kinks but still good
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
Dr. Ryan although colder at first warmed up as we got to know her better.
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
Ask dr. Ryan all the questions you need answers to.
Very warm staff, calling you by your first name and understanding the challenges of my situation. Dr. Ryan although colder at first warmed up as we got to know her better. She delivers the news very matter of fact which may not be everyone's preference. I appreciated that,
Very compassionate and very nice. Good understanding of the procedures you are going through.