7.3

Isabelle Ryan works at

55 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
415-834-3095

Be willing to hear the hard truth, this is not a doctor [Dr. Ryan] that will sugar coat it for you. ... She warmed up the more I met with her. And she tailored each cycle to me. ... She advised starting with IVF, but due to financial my husband and I did IUI to start with Letrozole. She adjusted my dosage as we went. Then we switched to IVF, with 300 Folistim and 150 menopur, I just had a canceled cycle due to poor responding (3 folicles- 1 mature), so we did another IUI. I am currently in 2ww
You never want to know the staff at a fertility clinic, but every time I was there [Pacific Fertility Center] they were so nice and even started to recognize me. ... Scheduling with them is pretty easy, I love that they are open on the weekends and early mornings before work. My doctor and team was always available to answer questions and I liked that I could email them.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
I had read that she was not the most warm of doctors. But I really appreciate information, and I know she had the latest facts and was very up front with my husband and I on what to expect and I appreciate that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Be willing to hear the hard truth, this is not a doctor that will sugar coat it for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
She warmed up the more I met with her. And she tailored each cycle to me. At this clinic sometimes you can see different doctors and I had an ultrasound with one and she followed up with me the same day and changed a protocol based on the fact she knew my history.
Describe the protocols Isabelle Ryan used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Fertility Center.
You never want to know the staff at a fertility clinic, but every time I was there they were so nice and even started to recognize me.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center.
Ultrasounds cost $330 iui cost $495 IVF round without medications about 19,000

Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Dr. Ryan is very present and was very responsive to all of our questions and concerns.... My partner and I were trying a second transfer with an embryo created using his sperm and a donor's egg. Unfortunately, it resulted in a negative pregnancy result... Dr. Ryan was very caring, however when I pressed her about next steps and diagnostics, she stated that she did not think anything was "wrong" with me, and that she would want to do 4-6 more transfers before doing any diagnostic procedures.
PFC is a boutique clinic, and you will be well treated and attended to. They are responsive and clear about logistics and protocols.... All of the nursing staff and care coordinators at PFC that I dealt with were great.... Given that the numbers are supposed to be so much better with donor eggs, and the fact that no one has given me any reason that we would not be successful going this route, I don't have the most positive feeling about PFC. Of course, there are probably many people who have had successful outcomes there, so this is just my experience.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
I like Dr. Ryan a lot. I've read some reviews critiquing her "bedside manner" but I only experienced her positively. My partner and I were trying a second transfer with an embryo created using his sperm and a donor's egg. Unfortunately, it resulted in a negative pregnancy result, which was deeply disappointing, as it was our final option at PFC for transfer. Dr. Ryan was very caring, however when I pressed her about next steps and diagnostics, she stated that she did not think anything was "wrong" with me, and that she would want to do 4-6 more transfers before doing any diagnostic procedures. This, of course, sounded crazy to us - from both an emotional and financial point of view.
Even though we did not get the desired result, she seems like an excellent doctor and was very caring.
We did one IVF transfer, with a tested, euploid embyro created with my partner's sperm and a donor egg. I took estrogen and progesterone leading up to, and for a couple weeks after, the transfer. There was no pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Alvi)
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
PFC is a boutique clinic, and you will be well treated and attended to. They are responsive and clear about logistics and protocols. That said, I feel like I just threw away a bunch of money after two transfers (with donor eggs) that did not work. Given that the numbers are supposed to be so much better with donor eggs, and the fact that no one has given me any reason that we would not be successful going this route, I don't have the most positive feeling about PFC. Of course, there are probably many people who have had successful outcomes there, so this is just my experience.
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Dr Isabel Ryan is smart and patient she knows that this is a difficult situation and clarified any questions we had. She was open about what the next steps would be and did not sugar coat anything. She asked us to call her anytime we had any questions and when my husband needed further clarification we received it by talking to dr Ryan.... She informed me that with previous doctors results she does not see me naturally using my own eggs
The clinic [Pacific Fertility Center- San Francisco] is. Lean and everyone is friendly. The weaknesses would be trying to get a quick appointment is a little difficult. You would need to wait at least 2 weeks to get in all of your appointments in.... Everyone was nice and understood that we were there because of something difficult that was happening.... Just going in to see the doctor is $350 every time. We have the cost for the genetic counselor any medications from $10-500 any blood work is around $200 and so much more
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
To ask lots of questions and write down anything you may forget.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: A team of people )
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic is. Lean and everyone is friendly. The weaknesses would be trying to get a quick appointment is a little difficult. You would need to wait at least 2 weeks to get in all of your appointments in.
2015, 9 Eggs Frozen
I wish she [Dr. Isabelle Ryan] would've explained a bit more about the number of eggs actually needed in order to conceive a child. I would've done another round or two of retrievals to be safe. Other than that she provided me with a lot of knowledge of how everything worked, the process, what was to be expected with the injections, side effects, etc. There were no surprises...Ask questions until you fully 100% understand every detail of the process...Sometimes I waited longer than expected...
[Pacific Fertility Center has a] Great location, clean, minimal, trendy, and upscale. Theres a coffee and water machine in reception and you can make a tea. The front desk associates are usually pretty friendly. Sometimes I waited longer than expected...$9000 for egg freezing and meds...I wish she [Dr. Isabelle Ryan] would've explained a bit more about the number of eggs actually needed in order to conceive a child. I would've done another round or two of retrievals to be safe. Other than that she provided me with a lot of knowledge of how everything worked, the process, what was to be expected with the injections, side effects, etc. There were no surprises...A
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
I wish she would've explained a bit more about the number of eggs actually needed in order to conceive a child. I would've done another round or two of retrievals to be safe. Other than that she provided me with a lot of knowledge of how everything worked, the process, what was to be expected with the injections, side effects, etc. There were no surprises.
Ask questions until you fully 100% understand every detail of the process.
$9000 for egg freezing and meds

2009 - 2011, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
I did feel certain Dr. Ryan was on my team through the process. She was supportive and kind and professional. I didn't want to hear the news she was ultimately able to convince me of (that my lack of success was "120% due to egg quality") so I think I continued too long with attempting each method of treatment. Not sure what else she could have done to get through to me, but I do wish I hadn't put my body through so many medicated IUIs, for example.
At my first appointment, the receptionist [at Pacific Fertility Center] asked if my partner would be joining me. I was single. That was agony and hard to get past. Otherwise, I remember feeling pretty welcome.... I had one cancelled cycle for damaged sample, but I do not think it was the clinic's fault. It happened during shipping. I also had some miscommunication between me, the clinic and my OBGYN about when to restart treatment after recovering from a D & C. As a result, I "wasted" treatment on a cycle. I wish I had had a written protocol or direct communication between the 2 doctors. Relying on me to convey information to each doctor wasn't foolproof.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Really listen and ask questions to make sure you aren't just hearing what you want to hear. She will help you make a plan.
She showed compassion and support. I really felt like she was rooting for me.
My treatments were so long ago ... I don't remember specifics. I did 10+ IUI. #7 resulted in a pregnancy that was not viable. 1 IVF and 1 cancelled IVF.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
At my first appointment, the receptionist asked if my partner would be joining me. I was single. That was agony and hard to get past. Otherwise, I remember feeling pretty welcome.
I've blocked out the specifics - the costs were high.
Describe Isabelle Ryan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
I do remember she was very helpful on advising the number to transfer. I understood the pros and cons.
What specific things went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.

2006 - 2009, Unsuccessful
She was very thorough in describing the processes involved in IVF and I appreciated that. My only complaint was her failure to warn me of all the risks with the ectopic pregnancy. Perhaps she thought I knew how dangerous they are, but I did not. I had no idea.
I really liked most of the staff at PFC. They were efficient and kind. There was one nurse who gave us incorrect medical information, which I reported to Dr. Ryan.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
i would say that she was blunt, but i didn't mind blunt. some people might be put off by her somewhat cold bedside manner but i didn't mind. she was very thorough in describing the processes involved in IVF and i appreciated that. my only complaint was her failure to warn me of all the risks with the ectopic pregnancy. perhaps she thought i knew how dangerous they are, but i did not. i had no idea.
If you want Dr. Ryan to be very thorough in how much information she gives you, ask for it, and i think she will oblige.
i really liked most of the staff at PFC. They were efficient and kind. There was one nurse who gave us incorrect medical information, which i reported to Dr. Ryan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center.
She was very good and patient. I asked a lot of questions to make sure I got everything right and she answered all of my questions with great compassion. Also, if I remember correctly, think the scheduling sheet (for my IVF cycles) was much easier to follow and understand than the one I had at Cornell.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Although I only had one pregnancy at PFC and it was an ectopic pregnancy, i can't help but think that the fact that I was able to get pregnant at all, led me to be able to get pregnant again.
What specific things went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
On my third IVF, I got pregnant, but the embryo implanted in my Fallopian tube (ectopic pregnancy), I don't think the team looked closely enough during my first ultrasound to see if there was something in the tube, when they realized there was nothing in the uterus. Especially since I later learned that women who undergo IVF have a higher chance of ectopic pregnancies. It is possible it would not have been visible, but if it could have been visible in the uterus, why not in the tube? so a week later when the ectopic pregnancy became a large blood clot and threatened to rupture the tube, they gave me a drug to abort the non-viable pregnancy and told me i would be experiencing severe cramping over the next two days and that i had to stay in bed. On the way out the door, I asked, "is there anything i should look out for?" and she said, "yes, if you start having really severe pain and it lasts for 5 minutes, go to the emergency room immediately." That advice that was only given once prompted by question, saved my life later that night when the pregnancy did rupture causing massive internal bleeding that would have been fatal if I had not gone immediately to the hospital and had emergency surgery. Perhaps I would have gone anyway when the pain continued, but perhaps not. Regardless, it was something she should have told me without me asking the question.