Bethesda Fertility Center

Medical SchoolOhio State U.
ResidencyTriHealth Ob/Gyn
FellowshipU. of Cincinnati
10506 Montgomery RD
Cincinnati, OH 45242
513-865-1675
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Isela Robertshaw to a friend?
9.7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Bethesda Fertility Center to a friend?
2019 - 2020
Because she [Dr. Robertshaw] never rushes patients through appointments, things can sometimes go over -since I've certainly been the one prolonging things, I was more than happy to wait patiently for my turn, and she never rushed through my appointments to get "back on track" like other doctors do... all were frozen because during retrieval Dr. Robertshaw identified an issue that required surgery. Immediately after surgery I started estrogen to begin a frozen embryo transfer procedure...was very clear that a single embryo would probably be successful given my age and no history of failure to implant, and said that she'd recommend one embryo. Nevertheless, she recognized that we were a-ok with the possibility of twins (it's been 5 years... we figured we'd have 2 by now, anyway) and let us go for it.
All of the staff [at Bethesda Fertility Center] were incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, the facilities were clean and many of the offices and bathrooms were nicely decorated. They use an app to communicate treatment information and for "non-urgent" communication, and at first I thought it was maybe overkill, but I actually really enjoyed it -it gave me easy access to ask questions and especially when dosage instructions are changing daily, it was very handy...we got something like 20 eggs, which was expected from the estimates with the ultrasounds. 19 were mature. Because of my dude's morphology, we used ICSI to fertilize, and 16 ended up fertilizing. The clinic was clear that typically only half of fertilized eggs make it to blastocyst, and that they only freeze high quality embryos, but we ended up with 14 embryos.
How was your experience with Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center?
When we first met Dr. Robertshaw we were entering our 5th year of TTC, and Bethesda was our third clinic. We'd been to a huge clinic where I described most of my visits as "cattle calls", and to a smaller clinic where I still felt as though the doctor never really heard or understood me or my questions. Within minutes of meeting Dr. Robertshaw we knew that things would be different -she listened carefully and responded thoughtfully. Throughout treatment (1 cycle IVF) she let us have our way where we felt strongly about things and helped us make decisions when we were unsure. She never *ever* rushed through an appointment, and will always take the extra few minutes to answer every last question or to celebrate with good news.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center?
Sometimes (but not always, maybe 10-20% of the time) you may have to wait a bit. Because she never rushes patients through appointments, things can sometimes go over -since I've certainly been the one prolonging things, I was more than happy to wait patiently for my turn, and she never rushed through my appointments to get "back on track" like other doctors do.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center?
Dr. Robertshaw was the third doctor we saw. I showed up in her office with guns blazing, ready to skip all the niceties and get straight to the point. Right from the get-go she seemed to fully understand our experience, and she answered all of my questions thoughtfully. She didn't just treat me like a person, she treated me like an *intelligent* person with agency, never brushing off a single concern, never seeming distracted or hurried.
Describe the protocols Isela Robertshaw used in your cycles at Bethesda Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We went through one cycle of IVF. I used GonalF for ovarian stimulation and had regular ultrasounds during the cycle to check progress, then something-that-starts-with-a-C to induce ovulation. Then the egg retrieval -we got something like 20 eggs, which was expected from the estimates with the ultrasounds. 19 were mature. Because of my dude's morphology, we used ICSI to fertilize, and 16 ended up fertilizing. The clinic was clear that typically only half of fertilized eggs make it to blastocyst, and that they only freeze high quality embryos, but we ended up with 14 embryos. They all were frozen because during retrieval Dr. Robertshaw identified an issue that required surgery. Immediately after surgery I started estrogen to begin a frozen embryo transfer procedure, then injectable progesterone. My husband and I insisted on 2 embryos, even though Dr. Robertshaw was very clear about the likelihood of twins. We had a positive blood test, then another to confirm, and we had two teeny heartbeats on ultrasound a couple weeks later. We've been discharged to an ob. So in conclusion, one round of IVF, one pregnancy with twins resulting, 12 embryos remaining in storage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Bethesda Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Lynzie)
Lynzie was very organized and an excellent communicator. She was a kind and warm face to interact with throughout the experience. Though everyone we interacted with was kind and professional, it was very nice to see the same face consistently.
Describe your experience with Bethesda Fertility Center.
All of the staff were incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, the facilities were clean and many of the offices and bathrooms were nicely decorated. They use an app to communicate treatment information and for "non-urgent" communication, and at first I thought it was maybe overkill, but I actually really enjoyed it -it gave me easy access to ask questions and especially when dosage instructions are changing daily, it was very handy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center.
I've met my insurance out-of-pocket maximum, which is 5500, plus another 3000 or so in medication. This is for a round of IVF with one FET, and includes required diagnostic tests such as the SIS, as well as an MRI with contrast and an outpatient surgery.
Describe Isela Robertshaw's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Bethesda Fertility Center.
Dr. Robertshaw was very clear that a single embryo would probably be successful given my age and no history of failure to implant, and said that she'd recommend one embryo. Nevertheless, she recognized that we were a-ok with the possibility of twins (it's been 5 years... we figured we'd have 2 by now, anyway) and let us go for it.
Cincinnati

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center.

2020
1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
She [Dr. Robertshaw] took all the time in the world to answer my questions and to make sure I was making the right choice for me, which had a huge impact on me and let me know I was in the right hands. I didn't feel pressured at all, and she got me in the next day know my situation. She is an amazing doctor...Dr. Robershaw and Dr. Reynolds are both amazing, each one treated me as a doctor and helped me with the situation I was going threw, they never made me feel like I was stuck in anything and that the choice was ultimately mine...pulled me in and let me know how soon I would have to start treatments based off of my situation, from there she was on hand for questions at anytime. Dr. Reynolds did my surgery, and changed my trigger shots and surgery date when it was discovered I was producing eggs and they were growing at a good rate. She really paid attention to my body and what it was doing and made a plan that was suited for me.
Every single one of the nurses here [at Bethesda Fertility Center] are beyond wonderful and really care about their patients. Lynzie Hogan, went beyond and above for all the questions I had, and answered all of my calls (bless her for doing so). Liz Wilson helped me find funding to help discount the medications when my insurances backed out. Colleen Brooks is unbelievable at her job and is one of the nicest human beings I have ever met, she really cares. My insurances has been giving them a hard time and she has been going back and forth on the process and letting me know updates. She is beyond wonderful.
2020
1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
How was your experience with Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center?
feel comfortable enough to ask all questions that you have. no question is a dumb one in her eyes, she will take the time and be honest and speak with you about any questions or concerns you may have, and leave the choice ultimately up to you.
She took all the time in the world to answer my questions and to make sure I was making the right choice for me, which had a huge impact on me and let me know I was in the right hands. I didn't feel pressured at all, and she got me in the next day know my situation. She is an amazing doctor.
Dr. Robershaw pulled me in and let me know how soon I would have to start treatments based off of my situation, from there she was on hand for questions at anytime. Dr. Reynolds did my surgery, and changed my trigger shots and surgery date when it was discovered I was producing eggs and they were growing at a good rate. She really paid attention to my body and what it was doing and made a plan that was suited for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Bethesda Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Every single one of the ladies that works here are AMAZING, Lynzie Hogan went beyond and above for my treatment)
Every single one of the nurses here are beyond wonderful and really care about their patients. Lynzie Hogan, went beyond and above for all the questions I had, and answered all of my calls (bless her for doing so). Liz Wilson helped me find funding to help discount the medications when my insurances backed out. Colleen Brooks is unbelievable at her job and is one of the nicest human beings I have ever met, she really cares. My insurances has been giving them a hard time and she has been going back and forth on the process and letting me know updates. She is beyond wonderful.
Describe your experience with Bethesda Fertility Center.
This clinic strengths: Your questions will be answered, a plan will be tailored to you, you will be listed to, every worker here cares about what they do and you. Even for just a consult they will listen and let you know facts, and courses of treatment, and they want to be sure they you pick the best course of treatment for your self, even if you decide this is not for you. I cannot think of any weakness.
this is still pending, with my insurance.

2017 - 2020
Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
my last transfer she [Dr. Isela Robertshaw] did an immune protocol after running a recurrent loss panel and still not finding anything besides testing positive for the MTHFR Gene and I was put on a folate supplement. She wanted to do this protocol in case there was something microscopic being missed. It’s working so far and I’m now 10 weeks pregnant...was warm and compassionate, she even took the time on a few occasions to personally call and check on me. Her staff of wonderful nurses answered any questions I had, and treated me with that same compassion, it really made this whole process easier.
I never had an issue reaching someone [at Bethesda Fertility Center] which was really wonderful. All of my questions or concerns were always answered in a timely manner. My only complaint, if you can call it that would be with billing. I always paid my invoices as soon as I received them, but towards the end, they stopped sending invoices and billing acted like we were past due, which I didn’t appreciate...wonderful nurses answered any questions I had, and treated me with that same compassion, it really made this whole process easier. I don’t feel like we would have received that treatment at any other fertility clinic. I will be forever grateful for the wonderful care we received at Bethesda Fertility Center.
2017 - 2020
Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center?
Dr. Robertshaw took her time to explain all our options and set our expectations. I couldn’t be happier with the experience she gave us. Infertility is so emotional and hard and the fact that she was so warm and compassionate meant a lot to me. I’m forever grateful for her.
From our first appointment I could tell we were going to be treated like people instead of just another number. Dr. Robertshaw was warm and compassionate, she even took the time on a few occasions to personally call and check on me. Her staff of wonderful nurses answered any questions I had, and treated me with that same compassion, it really made this whole process easier. I don’t feel like we would have received that treatment at any other fertility clinic. I will be forever grateful for the wonderful care we received at Bethesda Fertility Center.
I can’t remember all the specifics, but my last transfer she did an immune protocol after running a recurrent loss panel and still not finding anything besides testing positive for the MTHFR Gene and I was put on a folate supplement. She wanted to do this protocol in case there was something microscopic being missed. It’s working so far and I’m now 10 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with Bethesda Fertility Center.
I never had an issue reaching someone which was really wonderful. All of my questions or concerns were always answered in a timely manner. My only complaint, if you can call it that would be with billing. I always paid my invoices as soon as I received them, but towards the end, they stopped sending invoices and billing acted like we were past due, which I didn’t appreciate.
Cincinnati

She [Dr. Robertshaw] answered all my questions but when it came down to doing the things she said she was going to do, that just didn't happen. She told me to email her anytime but I never got responses. ... She was very kind and understanding. ... My dr wanted to just do 1 embryo because I was young and healthy but we ended up doing 2. ... My dr wanted to just do 1 embryo because I was young and healthy but we ended up doing 2. First because it was a different doctor that did my transfer and secondly, because I only had 2 good looking embryos.
They [Bethesda Fertility Center] are friendly and welcoming. They really need to do better with getting back with their patients. Especially when a patient has just had an incredibly devastating experience. They said nice things and promised to help but then didn't get back to me for months. ... I didn't know there was something called a guarentee program and I feel like I got screwed. ... I had quite a few different nurses. Most were very kind and communicated well.
How was your experience with Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center?
She was very kind and understanding. She answered all my questions but when it came down to doing the things she said she was going to do, that just didn't happen. She told me to email her anytime but I never got responses.
Make sure you go into it knowing all the possible outcomes. I didn't know there was something called a guarentee program and I feel like I got screwed. I took out a personal loan to afford 1 round of IVF and now that that didn't work I have to figure out how to come up with a ton more money.
She took the time to answer any questions and showed compassion during emotional times.
I started with taking birth control. Then had my baseline ultrasound. Things looked good so I started my injectable medications and did that for 9 days. I wasn't growing very many follicles about half way in so she upped my dosage and I started to respond better. I triggered on day 10 and then had my retrieval on day 12. Another doctor completed that procedure as Robertshaw was out of town. I was updated the day after retrieval, day 3 and day 5 as to how everything was progressing. I had a 5 day fresh transfer of 2 embryos. And then found out that none of my other embryos made it to freeze. I did not get pregnant and was left heartbroken and broke.
I had quite a few different nurses. Most were very kind and communicated well.
Describe your experience with Bethesda Fertility Center.
They are friendly and welcoming. They really need to do better with getting back with their patients. Especially when a patient has just had an incredibly devastating experience. They said nice things and promised to help but then didn't get back to me for months.
Each IUI was about $300. And the IVF all together was about $13,000. That's minus the meds for the IUI's and the donor sperm that I was using.
Cincinnati

First cycle [with Dr. Isela Robertshaw]- fresh transfer with ICSI - hyperstimulated with 50+eggs, two day 3 embryos transferred Second cycle- frozen transfer with ICSI, hyperstimulated 50+ eggs, two day 3 transferred...Great bedside manner, you really felt like she was on your team and felt everything you were feeling...I feel like she didn’t adjust enough after the 1st failed cycle. I feel like the second was rushed. I don’t think my meds were lowered enough. Each cycle I hyperstimulated. I believe the high number of eggs really effected the quality of them.
[Billing at Bethesda Fertility Center is a] major weakness. We would pay monthly and she would forget we paid. Price kept changing. They also seem very unorganized. But their major strength is their nurses!!!! So wonderful. Their waiting room was always jammed packed...Nurses here are AMAZING expeciialy heather. Heather was so warm and compassionate and the best at explaining everything.
How was your experience with Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center?
Her bedside manner is a big strength of hers but I feel like she didn’t adjust enough after the 1st failed cycle. I feel like the second was rushed. I don’t think my meds were lowered enough. Each cycle I hyperstimulated. I believe the high number of eggs really effected the quality of them.
Make sure you speak up and voice any concerns or confusion. Also make sure you are clear on all instructions before heading into your trigger. Don’t feel bad for calling after hours even if they make it seem like you are a hassle.
First cycle- fresh transfer with ICSI - hyperstimulated with 50+eggs, two day 3 embryos transferred Second cycle- frozen transfer with ICSI, hyperstimulated 50+ eggs, two day 3 transferred
Describe your experience with your nurse at Bethesda Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Heather! )
Describe your experience with Bethesda Fertility Center.
BILLER!!!!!!!! Is their major weakness. We would pay monthly and she would forget we paid. Price kept changing. They also seem very unorganized. But their major strength is their nurses!!!! So wonderful. Their waiting room was always jammed packed.
16,000 for once cycle
I pushed for multiple and I’m glad I did even though the outcome was negative. She is really into only transferring one.

2019 - 2020
[Protocol with Dr. Isela Robertshaw] First was cleaning fallopian tubes. Then ultrasound to see uterine thickness. Started hormones. Did iui per her suggestion. After 3 failed she suggested ivf. Started hormones for that. Did egg retrieval, with a fresh transfer. After positive pregnancy test, did ultrasounds of baby every week until released to ob...She was kind, energetic and always so positive... Polite and professional. She always knew every answer to every question. I would see her again if we decide to do it again. I have already suggested to a friend to go to Bethesda
they had payment plans [at Bethesda Fertility Center]...No weaknesses. Highly suggest to anyone wanting to take this step. Professional and polite. Gave you all the information you need and allowed you to make decisions with suggestions along the way. Always available...First was cleaning fallopian tubes. Then ultrasound to see uterine thickness. Started hormones. Did iui per her [Dr. Robertshaw's] suggestion. After 3 failed she suggested ivf. Started hormones for that. Did egg retrieval, with a fresh transfer. After positive pregnancy test, did ultrasounds of baby every week until released to ob
How was your experience with Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center?
She was amazing. I highly suggest seeing her. Polite and professional. She always knew every answer to every question. I would see her again if we decide to do it again. I have already suggested to a friend to go to Bethesda.
Be prepared for anything. Relax she knows what she is doing. Give her all your trust
She was kind, energetic and always so positive
Describe your experience with your nurse at Bethesda Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Tracey and liz)
Polite and professional
Describe your experience with Bethesda Fertility Center.
I was lucky to have great insurance that helped pay. Otherwise they had payment plans
She gave me the option

4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr Robertshaw is a great listener, seeks to understand any/all symptoms to help discuss treatment options. She takes the time to answer all questions and is candid in her responses and opinions. She took the burden of stressing about infertility off of my shoulders, and I truly trusted that I was in good hands with her recommended treatment.
Nursing staff [at Bethesda Fertility Center] was very attentive and gave the feeling that they were personally invested in your success.... Great staff, very friendly and helpful. Walking through the financing with someone that knew the details was great. The only con was that sometimes appointment wait times were long (~15-20 min), as they prioritize the IVF and IUI patients given the urgent needs that they have during their cycles.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center?
Personally called to check up on me, I never felt rushed, very empathetic and thorough with every appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Bethesda Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Deanna)
Nursing staff was very attentive and gave the feeling that they were personally invested in your success.
Describe your experience with Bethesda Fertility Center.
IUI and IVF procedures, embryo freezing, monitoring ultrasounds, doctor visits, blood work.
She did not want to transfer more than 2 embryos, which is what we ended up doing. If PGS had been used, she prefers to transfer only 1 to minimize risk but is open to patient input.

2018 - 2020
Following the laproscopy [with Dr. Robertshaw] we learned that one tube is partially blocked and one tube fully blocked. I was not ready to undergo IVF so we started a brief treatment of Clomid...We started birth control followed by stimulating hormones however I produced too few eggs again so we cancelled the cycle....At every stage of my treatment, Dr. Robertshaw demonstrated that she cared deeply about achieving a healthy preganancy and my related fears. She listened intently to my questions and responded with not only her research knowledge but with what she would advise a woman to another woman. She hugged me when I needed a hug, encouraged me when I needed a cheerleader, and rejoiced with me when we achieved pregnancy.
Lynzie [nurse at Bethesda Fertility Center] was kind and patient with me! I can't say enough good things. She thoroughly explained every step of every medication and made sure I understood every step of the process in detail...billing lead changed and I found the new lead to be disorganized and unresponsive. Also, she was unnecessarily combative and defensive. There is no reason the billing experience cannot be pleasant. The numbers are what they are. No need for negative emotions on the part of the billing department.
2018 - 2020
How was your experience with Isela Robertshaw at Bethesda Fertility Center?
Dr. Robertshaw was recommended to me by another physician, a friend who I confided in explaining the horrible bedside manner of a fertility doctor from whom I initially sought treatment. My first meeting with Dr. Robertshaw was appropriately lengthy because I had a ton of questions. She explained my suggested treatment protocol at length and the reasons for her suggestions. My journey with Dr. Robertshaw lasted over two years because I paused my treatment a few times to psychologically deal with the arduous fertility process. In that time, Dr. Robertshaw treated me with emotionally intelligent empathy and followed-up or allowed me space appropriately. You can't teach this type of genuine care and empathy. It felt like a blessing and I certainly appreciated it immensely.
I would advise a prospective patient to feel free to ask questions, even the ones that seem stupid. I would also advise prospective patients to disclose their concerns and fears so that Dr. Robertshaw can do her best to address them. Embrace her kindness and stick with it! She knows what she's doing!
Initially, I was diagnosed by another fertility doctor with fallopian tube blockage via a very painful HSG. I wanted a second opinion so Dr. Robertshaw and I decided that rather than having me endure another excrutiating HSG, I should under go a laproscopy. Following the laproscopy we learned that one tube is partially blocked and one tube fully blocked. I was not ready to undergo IVF so we started a brief treatment of Clomid. When that was unsuccessful, I took a break from fertility treatments. A year later, I returned. Dr. Robertshaw was on maternity leave so I saw Dr. Kasey. We began the full IVF protocol starting with birth control, followed by ovary stimulating hormones, I produced only 3-4 eggs so we cancelled the cycle. When I returned for the next try, Dr. Robertshaw had returned from maternity leave so I went back to her for treatment. We started birth control followed by stimulating hormones however I produced too few eggs again so we cancelled the cycle. My understanding is that because I pressed to have this cycle result in a December retrieval, I wasn't given the full stronger protocol. Finally, we started a new cycle with the stronger stimulating hormones and I produced 12 eggs. These resulted in 7 embryos. The embryos had to be frozen because my progesterone levels were too high. We waited one menstrual cycle and I was prescribed progestorone regulating medications for about two weeks when finally my embryo transfer was scheduled. Two embryos were transferred, resulting in my current singleton pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Bethesda Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Lynzie Hogan)
Lynzie was kind and patient with me! I can't say enough good things. She thoroughly explained every step of every medication and made sure I understood every step of the process in detail. She was always extremely responsive to my many questions. The thing that impressed me most was her patience with my many tears and my occasional anger. She used compassion and humor to allay by emotions. I appreciate that Lynzie is a straight shooter but always optimistic.
Describe your experience with Bethesda Fertility Center.
The clinic runs well. The front desk staff and nurses are warm and inviting. The embryologist could use some training on bedside manner. I found her report on my embryos was just a report to her while to me she was describing the condition of my potential babies. Just a disconnect there. Also, no one ever enjoys the billing department but BFC's billing lead changed and I found the new lead to be disorganized and unresponsive. Also, she was unnecessarily combative and defensive. There is no reason the billing experience cannot be pleasant. The numbers are what they are. No need for negative emotions on the part of the billing department.
In total greater that $20K
Dr. Robertshaw strongly advised against transferring more than two embryos. We transferred two embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Bethesda Fertility Center?