Medical SchoolUCSF
FellowshipU of Colorado Denver
Redwood City
570 Price Avenue
Redwood City, CA 94063
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Isiah Harris to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Spring Fertility to a friend?
Dr. Harris was personable and spoke in terms I understood...He was very clear on his thoughts on IUI vs. IVF up front but mentally, I wasn't ready to go straight to IVF w/o trying IUI. He respected my decision and supported me. He is very optimistic and always tells me everything "looks great" which is ironic because I feel like I'd be pregnant already if everything was truly "great" but when going through fertility treatment someone needs to remain positive, so in this case I guess it is Dr. Harris.
I preferred interacting with Dr. Harris [at Spring Fertility] directly to discuss my treatment plan. Nanette [nurse] is difficult to reach via e-mail and sometimes I didn't understand her recommendations. Additionally, I had one chemical pregnancy and she didn't provide the level of compassion I expected from a nurse. I have also never met her in person which I find odd...My cycle coordinator does not treat me as a person (Michelle). I feel like she is dealing with 1000 other clients and it shows, feeling like this is a factory operation instead of a fertility experience. She has made typos in emails and sent incorrect information so I second guess every email she sends which is unfortunate.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Harris was relatable and easy to talk to; in the few visits where my husband joined me, he provided a place that was comfortable for a man going through this process. He was very clear on his thoughts on IUI vs. IVF up front but mentally, I wasn't ready to go straight to IVF w/o trying IUI. He respected my decision and supported me. He is very optimistic and always tells me everything "looks great" which is ironic because I feel like I'd be pregnant already if everything was truly "great" but when going through fertility treatment someone needs to remain positive, so in this case I guess it is Dr. Harris.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility?
Take advantage of the time you have with him and ask a lot of questions. During each treatment I would ask him the questions I had instead of trying to schedule calls thru the clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Harris was personable and spoke in terms I understood.
Describe the protocols Isiah Harris used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
I have "undiagnosed infertility", before trying I visited him to get the full work up to ensure my reproductive system was working as expected. At that time, I decided to try naturally for 6mo before introducing IUI. When that didn't work, I came to Dr. Harris for my first IUI. I did that during a Letrozole cycle. He was supportive but said I'd have better success with IVF. After the second failed IUI, I am headed towards IUI, so in a way I feel like he was right all along but it took me awhile to get there emotionally/mentally.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nannette)
I preferred interacting with Dr. Harris directly to discuss my treatment plan. Nanette is difficult to reach via e-mail and sometimes I didn't understand her recommendations. Additionally, I had one chemical pregnancy and she didn't provide the level of compassion I expected from a nurse. I have also never met her in person which I find odd.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring clinic is conveniently located in Redwood City, San Francisco and Oakland. Their clinics are state of the art and have a clean aesthetic with coordinating decor which is welcoming. They are very timely with their appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility.
100% covered by Progyny insurance after meeting my insurance deductible
Describe Isiah Harris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
I wouldn't mind twins but Dr. Harris said he would only transfer one embryo at my age.
What specific things went wrong at Spring Fertility?
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility.

Dr. Harris has a warm demeanor and is really invested in success for his patients...At the beginning there was some miscommunication, but when I expressed my concern Dr. Harris was apologetic and made up for the initial misunderstanding...He was always sure to ask at each visit how things are going, whether you have experienced any side effects, etc...is openly optimistic and enthusiastic, and the result is that you can get swept into the optimism and expect more from your treatment than it can realistically deliver.
Strengths [at Spring Fertility]: - great staff - clear communication - transparent - very clean Weaknesses: - they use a surgical center that is out of network for all insurance - some procedures can only be done at the SF office so if you are going to the RWC office expect to have to go downtown occasionally...She [nurse] was warm, friendly, and followed up quickly when I had questions. Her e-mails with the course of treatment were always detailed and clear.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility?
At the beginning there was some miscommunication, but when I expressed my concern Dr. Harris was apologetic and made up for the initial misunderstanding. He truly wants to see his patients succeed and does what he can to that end. He was always sure to ask at each visit how things are going, whether you have experienced any side effects, etc. He explains the options clearly, and is thorough in describing the treatment plan.
Dr. Harris is openly optimistic and enthusiastic, and the result is that you can get swept into the optimism and expect more from your treatment than it can realistically deliver. The result is that a failure can hit harder than it might have otherwise. I'm ultimately happy with our choice of doctor, but just be realistic with yourself,
We used Clomid with an Ovidrel trigger shot followed by IUI three times. We have just started our first IVF cycle with Dr. Harris. Given our severe male factor infertility, he originally suggested we skip IUI and go directly to IVF, but that was not financially feasible for us at the time so we attempted IUI anyway despite the probable negative outcome. The first IUI cycle I had some spotting pre-period, which is unusual for me, and a positive pregnancy test long after the Ovidrel should have dissipated so we suspect the possibility of a chemical pregnancy. Dr. Harris was thorough with his description of the different approaches we could take with IVF and explained clearly why he felt the approach we went with was best for us. We're using birth control for 2 weeks followed by injectables for egg retrieval at the end of the month.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Chicas)
She was warm, friendly, and followed up quickly when I had questions. Her e-mails with the course of treatment were always detailed and clear.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Strengths: - great staff - clear communication - transparent - very clean Weaknesses: - they use a surgical center that is out of network for all insurance - some procedures can only be done at the SF office so if you are going to the RWC office expect to have to go downtown occasionally
The self-pay cost for IUI is $1600 and it's $18,375 for IVF. With insurance, we paid ~$600 for the first two IUI cycles and nothing for the second as we'd hit our max out of pocket. IVF is going to cost around $3000 and most of that is the out-of-network surgical center. I don't yet know what additional there will be on top of that for the genetic testing, anesthesiologist, etc.
We didn't discuss this as I had decided in advance that I wanted to do single embryo transfer.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. Harris] was over 30 minutes late to our 60 minute consultation... I was very disappointed with his time management skills and felt very rushed by how quickly he was taking. He sounded very optimistic for our chances of getting pregnant, but did not describe our options well.... I was switched to letrozole as a result of negative side effects from clomid. He then encouraged us to do IUI with ovidrel to trigger ovulation to time the insemination to increase our chances since my cycles are so inconsistent and at times I have anovatory cycles.
Prescriptions are given quickly, responsive by email, and clean facilities [Kaiser Sunnyvale]. Weaknesses include feeling like a number, no assignment to a primary nurse so you work with different people all the time, and no 24 hour on call nurse should something come up after hours or on the weekend.... I had a really great experience with the NP Carla Schouten, where she walked me through my baseline ultrasound and my IUI.
European, South Asian
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Give yourself extra time to be at the office in case he runs late.l and don’t be afraid to interrupt him to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He was over 30 minutes late to our 60 minute consultation, talked very fast and talked as if I was dumb or ignorant.
Describe the protocols Isiah Harris used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I had a really great experience with the NP Carla Schouten, where she walked me through my baseline ultrasound and my IUI. I also had a really negative experience with NP Deborah Pluckhan during my follow up ultrasound where she did not explain the number of follicles or give me my lining measurements. Additionally, she gave me the options to my new treatment and was did not provide me with information to make an informed decision about my care
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Prescriptions are given quickly, responsive by email, and clean facilities. Weaknesses include feeling like a number, no assignment to a primary nurse so you work with different people all the time, and no 24 hour on call nurse should something come up after hours or on the weekend.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
60 minute consultation was covered by our insurance at 50% and cost $170 for us. Ultrasounds were also covered at 50% cost and were $117. IUI was covered st 50% and cost $172.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Harris has great bedside manners. I can trust him because he gives me all the information I need and warns me about risks. For example, he warned me that I am at risk for OHSS and confidently told me he would closely manage my medication to prevent OHSS as much as possible.... I was diagnosed with PCOS. My husband was diagnosed with non-obstructive azoospermi (NOA). We knew we’d be using donor sperm and Dr. Harris said we could try IUI cycles or IVF ICSI. We are paying out of pocket so we opted for IUI.
The front office staff [Kaiser NorCal] is amazing. The team is professional and patient. They swiftly get me checked in and ready for my appointment. Some patients attended the appointment with their baby and the staff would naturally congratulate them, but it stung a little bit. It felt inconsiderate for the staff to celebrate a baby in the wait room around patients who are there because we cannot get pregnant. Maybe the can have blank cards at hand saying: congratulations! Instead of talking about the baby’s arrival in front of patients.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Harris is friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and funny. I can ask him any question and he will promptly have an answer. I can book a consultation, request a phone call, or my personal favorite: email through kp.org. He answers within 1 working day and makes notes for his team (in case they have to follow-up with me).
Dr. Harris has a warm personality. He always greets me with a smile and listens to my questions/concerns.
I was diagnosed with PCOS. My husband was diagnosed with non-obstructive azoospermi (NOA). We knew we’d be using donor sperm and Dr. Harris said we could try IUI cycles or IVF ICSI. We are paying out of pocket so we opted for IUI. We knew the chances were slim (5-8%), but we had to try before seriously considering IVF ICSI. Before starting the IUI cycles, Dr. Harris and his team of Nurse Practitioners helped regular my thyroid hormone by taking Levothroid once a day. It took about 3 months to get my thyroid under control. Each IUI cycle consisted of: Femara 3 times a day for 5 days, vaginal scan to see if I was ovulating soon (periods are irregular), trigger shot in my belly (Ovidrel). All of this was painless and mildly uncomfortable. The vaginal scans and inseminations are uncomfortable. All 3 IUI resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We decided to move forward and try IVF ICSI. We have our date booked for January 6, 2019 and we’re looking forward to be under Dr. Hariss’ care.
Three different Nurse Practitioners did my IUIs. It wasn’t ideal, however, between managing both our work schedules and the NP’s availability, we had to work with what was available to us. Before, I was very receptive about who I would book my appointments with. Now, I am happy to take an appointment that works with our schedules and gets me pregnant! :)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The front office staff is amazing. The team is professional and patient. They swiftly get me checked in and ready for my appointment. Some patients attended the appointment with their baby and the staff would naturally congratulate them, but it stung a little bit. It felt inconsiderate for the staff to celebrate a baby in the wait room around patients who are there because we cannot get pregnant. Maybe the can have blank cards at hand saying: congratulations! Instead of talking about the baby’s arrival in front of patients.
For the 3 IUI cycles we spent about $3,000 (including medication: insurance covered 50%). Plus, another $4000 for 3 vials of donor sperm. Currently we placed a deposit for $13,000 for IVF ICSI (cost of medications not included).
Describe Isiah Harris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
This question isn’t applicable because we haven’t done IVF, but Dr. Harris did stress to me that he wants to do a single embryo transfer. We’re okay with that decision because we want to do what will be most safe for myself and the baby.
Fremont
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.

Dr. Harris is warm, friendly, knowledgable, and really partners with you...He did every monitoring ultrasound during IVF, and would make adjustments as he saw you...Dr. Harris is really incredible. He talks very fast, but he is so well versed in the research and gives rationale for why he wanted to do a protocol...He doesn't recommend lifestyle changes (ie supplements, diet, etc). However, he fully supports you if you want to do them... he always manages to light up the room with his infectious smile and laughter.
Kaiser does not assign you a primary nurse for IUIs or IVF. The IUIs are all done by rotating NPs-- all of whom are competent, kind, and engaging...For IUIs, they don't perform them on Sundays, so they'll do it a little early or late if the ideal time was a Sunday...They also made you pay to reserve your spot... I was surprised that it was the nurse who gave the results; not Dr. Harris...When the nurse called me with my beta, she told me I wasn't pregnant. However, I did have a low positive pregnancy test (17).
European, Middle Eastern
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Harris is really incredible. He talks very fast, but he is so well versed in the research and gives rationale for why he wanted to do a protocol. He did every monitoring ultrasound during IVF, and would make adjustments as he saw you. He tried to set expectations about how many he expected to retrieve and why he was making adjustments to the protocol. He batches patients so that he can do every ultrasound-- so he'll go from retrieval to ultrasound to transfer to ultrasound all day long. I'm pretty sure he doesn't sleep for 3 weeks at a time. However, he always manages to light up the room with his infectious smile and laughter.
He doesn't recommend lifestyle changes (ie supplements, diet, etc). However, he fully supports you if you want to do them. He knows how out of control this feels and will support you if want to try to find some control. So please be honest with your supplements; he'll give you an honest opinion about when to start/stop them during your cycle.
Dr. Harris is warm, friendly, knowledgable, and really partners with you. He shares pieces of his life with you, knows who you are, and asks about partner/life/work.
I did a couple of injectable IUIs where the lead follicle stopped growing with a step-down approach (meaning I started at higher doses and then decreased the dose). Based on this data, he made some adjustments to my IVF protocol. We did the antagonist protocol. We started with 150 follistim/150 menopur and then added in the ganirelix after day 6 or 7 of stims. We increased the dose of one or the other med at each appointment, with my max being 375 for both meds by the end. We did ICSI just as a precaution and I'm glad we did; it just took the guesswork out of it. We expected 12 mature eggs, but only ended up with 8 (this was a huge blow!). 7 fertilized and all 7 were growing well at day 3, so we opted for a day 5 transfer. When we got to transfer, we spoke with Dr. Harris and the embryologist who informed us that we had an early blast and a morula. Both of these were a little behind where they "should" have been. All the rest had already arrested or were so far behind they most likely wouldn't make it. They encouraged us to transfer both despite our terror of twins. He did the transfer and then he has a little dance/ritual he does over all his patients after transfer (waving his hands over your abdomen-- maybe a little prayer?) I loved it; as I really felt he was giving us extra love (even if medically it doesn't make a difference). Unfortunately we did not have anything to freeze and our transfer ended in a chemical pregnancy.
Kaiser does not assign you a primary nurse for IUIs or IVF. The IUIs are all done by rotating NPs-- all of whom are competent, kind, and engaging. The IVF nurses reinforce what Dr.Harris just told you when he did your ultrasound. I was surprised that it was the nurse who gave the results; not Dr. Harris. Unfortunately, they informed me I was not pregnant (beta 17) and to stop all meds. I now understand that while the chance of sustaining the pregnancy is almost nothing; I was technically pregnant. I wish they would have told me to continue meds and re-test in 2 days (rather than stop and re-test a week later) I'm 99% sure the outcome would have been the same, but I wish they would have given it a shot. And I didn't know enough to push for it.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Kaiser is a well oiled machine. For all fertility workup, it's pretty standardized, meaning they do initial blood work, semen analysis, saline sonogram, HSG, and hysteroscopy regardless of diagnosis (I think). I never felt like diagnostic testing was hard to get or was missed. For IUIs, they don't perform them on Sundays, so they'll do it a little early or late if the ideal time was a Sunday. For IVF, it's a full 7 day/week system. They batch patients as the Dr does every ultrasound and you see him at every visit. Unfortunately, that meant a pretty long wait in between cycles. But, that does mean a ton of face time with your dr and consistent scans. They also made you pay to reserve your spot. This meant we paid almost 6 months before cycling (which was a nice break), but now I wish we had gone somewhere else or paid for IVF while still doing IUIs to not have that long break. We ended up switching clinics simply because we couldn't do another 6 month break before cycling again. If we could have cycled more quickly, we would have stayed with Dr. Harris and Kaiser.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The monitoring could take 10 mins or 3 hours. Since Dr. Harris does all of his own monitoring, he would go from retrieval to ultrasound to transfer to ultrasound. It was great that you always saw your doctor, but it could lead to some very LONG waits. Additionally, you're given a specific time for monitoring, but it's actually first come/first serve. So ignore the time you're given and just show up as early as possible.
Fertility workup, IUIs were all covered under insurance, so very minimal. IVF was completely out of pocket. I believe it was about 12k for IVF + ICSI. Meds were separate and ended up at about 6k.
He favors eSET, but since both of our embryos were a little behind (early blast and morula) he felt that the morula would probably NOT make it, so it was less risky.
Fremont

6 IUI, IVF
Dr. Harris is very warm and has made me feel very comfortable. He responds immediately to emails and answers all of my questions. However, there are times when I'm directed to speak to someone else in Dr. Harris' staff rather than Dr. Harris himself...I have seen Dr. Harris for our initial consult and for my saline sonogram. At each of those appointments he answered all of my questions thoroughly. He was warm and kind. We have not started STIMming, but I have been informed that once that starts, I will see him for each appointment...
The front desk [at Kaiser - Santa Clara] is very personal and warm. The medical assistants can be kind, but often seem stressed. They can sometimes be rude when you call in for information or to make changes to your appointment. They have made me cry. The nurses are knowledgeable. There are many of them at this clinic. You may get a different nurse for each of your appointments. Each nurse has her own style, and so you will have to adjust according to who you have...
South Asian, Other
6 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I have seen Dr. Harris for our initial consult and for my saline sonogram. At each of those appointments he answered all of my questions thoroughly. He was warm and kind. We have not started STIMming, but I have been informed that once that starts, I will see him for each appointment. He answers his emails promptly and gives me next steps and reassurance when needed.
Ask a lot of questions and have Dr. Harris explain what is happening and what is going to happen to your body. It will save you the research time later and he is thorough and easy to understand.
I did 3 rounds of Femara with Menopur injectables, along with HCG trigger shot and IUI. All 3 cycles resulted in negative pregnancy tests. One cycle was cancelled due to too many follicles and the staff feared that I would have OHSS.
The nurses were kind and warm, and I had the genuine feeling that they were "on my side." However, there was a large team of them, and I had different nurses rotating through my different appointments. The nurses didn't know me personally and they didn't seem to communicate among one another. There were times when I had to update nurses on what had happened during my previous cycle, or even my previous appointment (which often was just a few days before).
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The front desk is very personal and warm. The medical assistants can be kind, but often seem stressed. They can sometimes be rude when you call in for information or to make changes to your appointment. They have made me cry. The nurses are knowledgeable. There are many of them at this clinic. You may get a different nurse for each of your appointments. Each nurse has her own style, and so you will have to adjust according to who you have. Dr. Nixon made me very uncomfortable. He talked about his personal life a lot and didn't give me or my husband clear answers. After my initial appointment with him for infertility, I never saw him again. Dr. Harris has been very kind, knowledgeable, and thorough. He has a warm bedside manner. He answers questions promptly via email. I met with him for our initial IVF consult and he performed my saline sonogram and mock transfer. When I begin STIMming, I will see him for every appointment.
$11, 500 for IVF $1900 for ICSI ~$4000 for medications ~$96 for ultrasounds (out of pocket cost) ~$136 for IUI (out of pocket cost)

2013 - 2015
Dr Harris always had a smile for me and/or my husband, but was also sympathetic to setbacks and disappointments. He was appropriately physical, like a pat on the hand prior to draining a cyst or polypectomy. He even gave me a [well-received and appreciated] hug when I started crying after learning about an ovarian cyst.
Two of the 3 NPs [at Kaiser Sunnyvale] were wonderful - compassionate, open, empathetic. One was a bit more clinical and the one that told me, without hesitation or apology, to stop taking progesterone when it was discovered that the short-lived pregnancy was ending.... Most of the clinic's support staff - front desk and back desk - were excellent. They were compassionate and caring, offering a cup of water and early check-in when my emotions got the better of me. Even when I often ran late, due to traffic or emotional delay, they accommodated me.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Enjoy his humanity and write down all the info and options he shares with you.
He was friendly every time, as well as compassionate, never cold or "clinical".
Because of both male factor infertility (high abnormality) and diminished ovarian reserve, we started immediately with IUIs. They were delayed due to an occlusive ovarian cyst, about the size of a large kiwi. It was first treated with birth control, then with 2 different drainings, and finally a cystectomy. The cyst remains. We were told early on that IVF would be more successful, and that using donor eggs would provide still higher chances of success. Due to emotional and financial stress, we decided to try 7 IUIs over 2 years, interspersed with other procedures like a polypectomy and cyst-related procedures.
Two of the 3 NPs were wonderful - compassionate, open, empathetic. One was a bit more clinical and the one that told me, without hesitation or apology, to stop taking progesterone when it was discovered that the short-lived pregnancy was ending.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Our insurance covered 90% of the treatments associated with IUIs, so each cycle was $50-$200, depending on injectables.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Harris is an amazing doctor. He always made me feel like he actually cared about my results personally, not that I was just another patient ...The first embryo retrieval, Dr. Harris did not use an HcG trigger because of the number of eggs that I was likely to release, and the worry of hyperstimulation. However, the injection I did take did not release the eggs as expected (and this is not a normal thing to happen; 99% of the time this works), and so that cycle was basically a wash. Dr. Harris changed the protocol for the next cycle, doing an HcG trigger instead, which worked fine.
I love Nurse Colombo (and everyone in the office [Kaiser]). I know they see a lot of unhappy people all day as that's the nature of the job, and they always managed to be kind and nice to me even at my worst...There was one instance where I was not informed of a cancelled appointment because my doctor was not in the office that day...I do wish I hadn't done as many IUIs as we did and had gone straight to IVF; however, I don't think that's the fault of the clinic since I think it's standard protocol.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I love Dr. Harris. He is one of the best doctors I have ever had. He helped me through an extremely difficult time in a way that was always kind and compassionate, even when I was neither of those things. I feel that he went way above and beyond his job for my husband and me.
Ask all questions that you have. Always think of questions beforehand and come with a list. Dr. Harris does a great job of explaining everything but he's not a mind reader, of course.
Dr. Harris is an amazing doctor. He always made me feel like he actually cared about my results personally, not that I was just another patient (though I do think he actually cares about all his patients, not just me!). I cried a lot in his office and he was always extremely kind and sympathetic to my situation, and never gave up hope even when I had almost given up myself.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Marion Colombo)
I love Nurse Colombo (and everyone in the office). I know they see a lot of unhappy people all day as that's the nature of the job, and they always managed to be kind and nice to me even at my worst, since by the end I was basically already in tears before I'd even begin my visits.
$10,000 IVF + around $2,000 for ICSI, + meds which I don't recall exactly
I am glad we did the eSET, even though the first two transfers did not take. It was probably the only way we could have afforded as many transfers as we did.
+ Read more- Read less

Despite (or perhaps because of) being newer to the field than the other doctors in the office, Dr. Harris was extremely thorough and made the entire process manageable and transparent, reassuring us every step of the way and giving honest and candid advice...Retrieved 7 eggs, 3 fertilized, all 3 embryos transferred. Dr. Harris told us it was unlikely we'd have triplets, but good chance we'd have twins. Positive pregnancy test, and now we have twin boys!..He remembered details about our personal lives and would ask us about them from time to time.
My care coordinator [at Kaiser Permanente] was friendly and bubbly. Sometimes seemed frazzled but ultimately I got the information I needed from her in a timely manner. She gave me really helpful color coded calendars and called to remind me about each step in the process. I saw nurses for all my medicated IUI tranfers, and all of them were warm, kind, and professional...They knew me by name, gave me great advice for dealing with insurance, and were always optimistic and sympathetic during my failed attempts.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Harris is one of the most warm and friendly doctors I have ever had. Going into this process, my husband and I were anxious, desperate, and uninformed. Dr. Harris seemed a bit young when we first met him, and didn't seem to have tons of experience. However, after reading some of his past research papers and obviously from the detailed nature of our conversations, my concern proved to be unfounded. I feel extremely fortunate that we got Dr. Harris as our doctor (though our first choice didn't have availability to see us as early as we would have liked). Despite (or perhaps because of) being newer to the field than the other doctors in the office, Dr. Harris was extremely thorough and made the entire process manageable and transparent, reassuring us every step of the way and giving honest and candid advice. After our 2nd IVF cycle, we were blessed with twins. My husband and I tried for a 3rd last summer, unfortunately with another doctor since he had different insurance coverage, and I wished we could have gone back to Dr. Harris for that attempt.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - and make sure to tell him about all supplements you're taking and whether that interferes with any of the medication. Also, just a piece of general advice with any provider - make sure you ask your insurance company what medications they do or don't cover. Dr. Harris prescribed Follistim, which wasn't initially covered by my insurance. After almost a year of painful interactions with my insurance company (and having Dr. Harris write 2 letters), we were finally reimbursed for the medication, which we had to pay for out of pocket. Double check to make sure you get pre-authorization of procedures and meds once Dr. Harris tells you your protocol.
Dr. Harris was warm and friendly right from the start. He encouraged all of our questions and took the time to patiently explain all the steps in the process, never making us feel rushed and always giving us his full attention. He remembered details about our personal lives and would ask us about them from time to time. His bedside manner is outstanding.
3 cycles of Clomid + IUI, 2 to 3 follicles each round, negative pregnancy tests. 1 cycle of Femara + IUI, 3 follicles, negative pregnancy test. 1st round of IVF after 1 month priming with birth control. Antagonist protocol (Follistim and Menopur to stimulate egg growth, Ganirelix to suppress growth for larger follicles). Retrieved 8 eggs, 4 fertilized. Transferred 2 embryos on Day 3, chemical pregnancy. The other 2 embryos did not survive until Day 5. 2nd round of IVF with 3 months priming with birth control (more because we had to wait until Dr. Harris had an available slot for this second round). Antagonist protocol with slightly increased dosage of Follistim and Menopur. Retrieved 7 eggs, 3 fertilized, all 3 embryos transferred. Dr. Harris told us it was unlikely we'd have triplets, but good chance we'd have twins. Positive pregnancy test, and now we have twin boys!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Day Reed)
My care coordinator was friendly and bubbly. Sometimes seemed frazzled but ultimately I got the information I needed from her in a timely manner. She gave me really helpful color coded calendars and called to remind me about each step in the process. I saw nurses for all my medicated IUI tranfers, and all of them were warm, kind, and professional.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I really liked the staff at the Santa Clara location. They knew me by name, gave me great advice for dealing with insurance, and were always optimistic and sympathetic during my failed attempts.
Dr. Harris advocated for transfer of 2 embryos the first round of IVF, and 3 embryos the 2nd (successful) round of IVF. On the 2nd round, we had 3 viable embryos on Day 3. The embryologist said she'd probably transfer 2, while Dr. Harris asked us how we would feel about multiples. After we said we'd be fine with twins, he recommended transferring all 3 embryos, saying there was a small likelihood we'd have triplets, but good chance we'd have twins. And as Dr. Harris described, I was relatively young and healthy enough (no major medical issues or history of family illnesses) to carry multiples if that's something we were comfortable with. He said he'd feel better about us having twins than no kids at all, the latter being more likely if we transferred only 2 embryos that failed and the remaining one didn't make it to Day 5. Both cycles had Day 3 transfers since there were not many embryos in either cycle. I know many doctors like to wait until Day 5 and perform frozen embryo transfers, but I like that Dr. Harris was willing to do Day 3, as he believed that there was a better chance of the embryos surviving in the uterus than outside, especially since there weren't many to begin with. Whether this is true or not, I liked having the choice, as I have several friends who weren't given the choice for Day 3 transfer at all, and had to adhere to their clinic policy of transferring on Day 5, or FET of blastocysts.

4 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
I think IVF doctors forget that its hard for people going through infertility. Very emotional experience and a very pricy one. I did 3 rounds of IUI before meeting Dr Harris. When I did finally meet him I didn't feel like my meds were strong enough so in return my body didn't produce follicles...They have more control over things that I think I should be able to weigh in or have more control over. Appointments were always rushed.
Love the staff and specifically Marion Columbo. I really established a relationship with her since I spent 9 months with her. She was amazing. Quick to answer questions, very clear on what she was doing....I feel like everyone is just a number to Kaiser. Maybe it's because they are so large. Don't feel like they care about each person. I don't like how controlling Kaiser is either. I also don't like communication with Kaiser. You can't just call Dr office and schedule a call.
4 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Ask questions, speak up, don't take no for answer, it's your body, your money and your future child, so don't be afraid to speak up on what you want to do or questions.
Felt in the middle. Kaiser is very different from other clinics. They have more control over things that I think I should be able to weigh in or have more control over. Appointments were always rushed.
Menopure and Follistim
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Marion Columbo)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I feel like everyone is just a number to Kaiser. Maybe it's because they are so large. Don't feel like they care about each person. I don't like how controlling Kaiser is either. I also don't like communication with Kaiser. You can't just call Dr office and schedule a call. You either have to call a generic number and leave a message and hope someone calls you back. Most days they don't and they respond through a secure site that I then can't respond to their message. Very frustrating.
This is the one area I don't agree with Kaiser on. They don't allow you to put more than one embryo in AND they don't allow you to select the sex if you pay for genetic testing. I still struggle with both

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Harris always took the time to fully explain my options and the treatment plan that he thought was best. Sometimes it felt like a like a lot of information, but he would take the time necessary to make it as simple as possible for me. ... Dr. H is incredibly kind, compassionate and knowledgeable. As busy as he was (I think he had 30 other IVF patients the same week he took care of us) he was always patient and cheerful to be around. I can't say how appreciative and fortunate I am for all that he did for us.
I had a great experience with the nursing team and all the points of contact at Spring Fertility. ... The clinic is very well organized, and modern. the lab appears very high tech. Everyone we met was very friendly and genuine ... I had a great experience with the nursing team and all the points of contact at Spring Fertility. ... he [Dr. Harris] is a strong believer in having one baby at a time.
European, Latino
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility?
I don't have any particular advice. Don't be afraid to ask him questions because he does not mind and wants you to understand as much as possible.
I used Aygestin priming with antagonist cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nanette)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is very well organized, and modern. the lab appears very high tech. Everyone we met was very friendly and genuine.......................................................................
covered by my insurance.
he is a strong believer in having one baby at a time.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Harris is a great guy and a good doctor. He is up to date on all of the new technologies and will clearly communicate with you about where you stand and what should happen next. After several cycles failed, he recommended us to get a second opinion before moving on to a new cycle because he wanted to make sure he wasn't missing anything...he has such good bedside manners. Always welcomes you with a smile, lets you ask any questions you might have and takes the time to answer them thoroughly in a pleasant but direct way
Amazing staff. They always made sure I was comfortable and were very patient...An IVF cycle costs about 11,000. For ICSI we paid an extra 2,000 or so. Medications were around 3,000...Strengths: very clean and well organized. The staff is very nice and professional Weaknesses: there were procedures that were not covered by them such as pipelle or IMSI...After several cycles failed, he [Dr. Harris] recommended us to get a second opinion before moving on to a new cycle because he wanted to make sure he wasn't missing anything.
Ask questions
Amazing staff. They always made sure I was comfortable and were very patient

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. Harris listened analytically and sympathetically. He always carried a warm smile and excitement every visit and procedure. He not only was with us through an IVF but also a uterine polyp removal, a D&C after a natural pregnancy with miscarriage and through the decision to rest for 6 months with counseling resources. Unfortunately we moved otherwise would have continued with him....Dr. Harris is with Kaiser, IVF monitoring is done in the morning on a first come basis, there are other couples in cycle with you so plan on not getting to work until noon these days. Take adequate time off work during the monitoring phase on the cycle.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained

PCOS, Unexplained
1. Small clinic, appointments were easy to get 2. Staff was friendly, treated us well...IVF was $10,000 per cycle IUIs were $85 Ultrasounds were $100...We always felt comfortable talking to Dr Harris. He responded quickly by email to test results, answering any questions we might have. He walked us through what an IVF would mean, including giving us realistic odds of actually getting pregnant after 1 cycle. We decided to pause all fertility treatments for a month before we started IVF and shocklingly got pregnant in that cycle.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Ask questions! He answers any questions you might have.
Dr Harris always took time to answer any questions we had about the process
Marion was very compassionate and patient.
IVF was $10,000 per cycle IUIs were $85 Ultrasounds were $100
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Harris is incredibly thoughtful and compassionate. ... Everyone should have the care and expertise that Dr. Harris provided. He is simply the best. I was so fortunate to have him as my doctor. He made sure we understood every step of the process and was always straightforward with us when things were not going ideally. ... He always has your best interest at heart. ... He was a very strong advocate of eset.
[Kaiser Permanente NorCal] The ivf process is very challenging both physically and emotionally. The most important thing you can do is find a team that you trust and then trust them to do what is best for you. ... [Cost of treatment] ~20k ...[Monitoring appointments] I had a great experience overall. ... He [Dr. Harris] was a very strong advocate of eset. ... Dr. Harris is who I would recommend to my family or friends.
European, East Asian
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Trust his expertise. He always has your best interest at heart.
Dr. Harris is incredibly thoughtful and compassionate.
Antagonist cycle
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The ivf process is very challenging both physically and emotionally. The most important thing you can do is find a team that you trust and then trust them to do what is best for you. Dr. Harris is who I would recommend to my family or friends.
I had a great experience overall.
~20k
He was a very strong advocate of eset. We are glad we listened to him.