Medical SchoolBrown
39141 Civic Center Driv
Fremont, CA 94538
2238 Geary Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94115
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ivan Huang to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente NorCal to a friend?
He [Dr. Ivan Huang] was understanding and very direct in his explanations. He is soft spoken and made us feel comfortable all the time. He will call us back as soon as he can and will stay on the phone until he's sure that he answered all our questions. He never rushed our appointments. He was honest and we felt like we gained another friend. He responds to email promptly...Dr. Huang is a compassionate doctor. He knows our names and he knows our history every time we visit him. He doesn't need to go back to the computer to remind him what treatments we had. If another nurse practitioner or doctor will see us, he will communicate to them to let them know where we are in the process. I will never forget the time when I was so distress in my email because of a negative result, he immediately called me to follow up and explain our next steps and answered all our questions. He was giving us different options without being pushy. He is very personable and we felt that we gained another friend.
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Be trustful because he will be honest with your situation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He was understanding and very direct in his explanations. He is soft spoken and made us feel comfortable all the time. He will call us back as soon as he can and will stay on the phone until he's sure that he answered all our questions. He never rushed our appointments. He was honest and we felt like we gained another friend. He responds to email promptly.
Describe the protocols Ivan Huang used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
He put us on Clomid with IUI for 3 cycles then Letrozole with IUI for 3 cycles. Unfortunately, all were unsuccessful.
We had different nurses when we visit. Some worked there for a while some are new to the job. Some are very short when answering questions, some are very warm. Most of the time, they are willing to answer our questions, and will try to make us feel comfortable. One of the things that I like about them, is that they always wants us to think positive and be happy.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic is clean and they have all the supplies needed during my treatments. They have inviting waiting room, and very accommodating staff. The rooms are organized and directions are very clear.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
We are lucky that most of the treatment fees are covered by our insurance. We only need to pay the copay for a very reasonable price.
San Francisco
He [Dr. Ivan Huang] was amazing honestly I have no complaints...He answered my emails that seemed ridiculous sometimes after hours and on he weekends and listened o all my concerns as crazy as they may have seemed.. supported my decision to be a mom even though I ended up doing it alone and they supported me every step of the way...he changed protocol to 5mg over 5 days rather than 3 and I chose to have 2 iui procedures rather than 1 and it resulted in my now 11 week old twins.
European, South Asian, Latino
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He was amazing honestly I have no complaints. This clinic gave me my rainbow twins and that’s exactly what I wanted. They supported my decision to be a mom even though I ended up doing it alone and they supported me every step of the way.
Definitely don’t hesitate to go as big as you feel you want. Unfortunately fertility isn’t always covered and it can be expensive. This team went for it when I asked for a higher chance of success faster and never questioned m.
I had a natural cycle first with iui, then 2.5mg femara which resulted in no ovulation, we changed to 5mg for 3 days and it resulted in early ovulation unfortunately and we missed the window, then he changed to 7.5mg and this resulted in a negative pregnancy test after iui so he changed protocol to 5mg over 5 days rather than 3 and I chose to have 2 iui procedures rather than 1 and it resulted in my now 11 week old twins.
They were amazing. These are the people who usually saw me for ultrasounds and my iui procedures and they were so amazing I actually go back and visit now. They comminuted great and we’re 100% on board with my treatments plan
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic is amazing honestly I never waited longer than 5 minutes to be seen. Just be very diligent on what you want and need and they will be on board! Thy really listen to the patient and their needs and will give good advice but also move forward with whatever plan makes you most comfortable
For me everything was covered under my insurance I was very lucky. But I was told without my insurance coverage the cost of the iui would have only been about 300$ and each ultrasound may have been maybe 100$ I was not told exact amount. I did have to pay for donor sperm though.
Describe Ivan Huang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
San Francisco
I was young with unexplained, so Dr. Huang was conservative. He told us to try naturally for 6 more months, but I only made it 3 before I asked to try medication. Then we did 3 cycles of Clomid trying naturally for three months, and 3 cycles of Letrozole with 2 IUIs for two months. 1 IUI was cancelled due to early ovulation. No babies produced... He allowed me to help make decisions and be an advocate and he was honest when he saw that we needed to take the next steps. It was my job to reach out to him when I was ready to move forward, but when I did, he was always quick to answer and make a plan. I even forgot my meds at home during a vacation, and he made sure I could pick them up at a local Kaiser.
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He's warm and personable. During our consultation, right before I started to tear up he handed me a tissue with no hesitation. I could tell he knew this is a hard journey. I could always count on him to communicate in a timely manner. I wished that I could have seen him during my baseline appointments and IUIs, but I knew timing was key and he was often booked far in advance.
Set expectations by asking how often you will see him. Not just communicate over the Kaiser portal, but if he will be treating you. I would also ask the if he's willing to prescribe more than just the lowest dose of clomid or letrozole. I found that he was very conservative.
Dr. Huang was gentle and kind, but direct and informative. He allowed me to help make decisions and be an advocate and he was honest when he saw that we needed to take the next steps. It was my job to reach out to him when I was ready to move forward, but when I did, he was always quick to answer and make a plan. I even forgot my meds at home during a vacation, and he made sure I could pick them up at a local Kaiser.
Most were kind, one was on the rougher side. Overall, they were organized.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Strengths - Since it's Kaiser, everything is done in house. Online communication is easy. Pharmacy is easy. They saw how distraught I was about my fertility journey and they paired me with a "chronic pain therapist" which was caring. Weaknesses - It's REALLY, EXTREMELY hard to get anyone on the phone which led to multiple breakdowns and tears. When you leave a message, they give one call back. Then you have to call them and leave another message. If you miss another call back, you have to wait another 24 hours until they call you back. If you miss that call.....good luck. It was worrisome how frustrating their phone system is. Also, don't expect dim lighting during your baseline and IUI. VERY bright and feels......exposing.
$150 for each ultrasound and IUI, and around $200 for Saline Sono and HSG.
I did not do IVF through Kaiser.
San Francisco
Dr. Huang is a kind and gentle doctor. I am very glad we went to him for our IUIs. Unfortunately, we have had to move on to IVF due to unexplained infertility. Dr. Huang was very hopeful since we have a lot of eggs and sperm that IUI would work. I am very disappointed that that my eggs were not stimulated more since I could have gotten more eggs than 2 in a cycle. But he is very conservative and errs on the cautious side with minimal drugs.
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Do not be afraid to ask him questions, he is very patient and understanding.
I chose to travel far, past other Kaisers, to work with Dr. Huang because he is extraordinarily kind. His bedside manner is superb. He was always calm, informed, and present with us. He responded to all my emails and calls quickly. I appreciate him so much!
I completed 4 IUIs - one with letrozole (2 eggs), one with clomid (1 egg and it thinned my lining), one with letrozole and injectables (1 egg), and one with injectables only (2 eggs). I have a very high number of eggs so they kept saying they were concerned I would overstimulate. It is frustrating I only got 1-2 eggs with this cautiousness, but understand the risks of being too aggressive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Christiane Peters)
Nurse Peters seems competent and confident. She is not as warm and as personable as Dr. Huang.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Kaiser SF was wonderful to us after an awful experience at Kaiser Oakland RE. They always called us back the same day and we were able to get our medicine and lab results quickly. They were wonderful!
My job covered IUI so I very gratefully only had co-pays. If only IVF was!
N/A (IUI only)
San Francisco
Dr. Huang was not initially our assigned doctor; however, over time, we came to trust him as we completed several rounds of IUI. Dr. Huang kept tabs on our progress and encouraged our efforts when it was time to move on to IVF and chose another clinic. The only negative experience was during the wait for the miscarriage and managing my expectations of the experience - which, unfortunately, were mired with fear and pain.
European, East Asian
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Make sure you feel confident understanding what to expect. Surprises are usually not a good thing.
Dr. Huang is a nice person who means well and tries hard. You can tell in his bedside manner that you matter and he cares.
Lots of clomid fueled IUIs - hardly a change in dosage over the course of 7 rounds including 1 miscarriage.
A team effort and supportive during the admitting and appointment process.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
It's part of Kaiser so if your insurance covers anything, it's worth trying IUIs with the team. It's an older facility and you're surrounded by pregnant people so that can be a drag emotionally. They have you answer abuse questions at, almost, every appointment, which seems like a waste of time when you're going in often.
There was a co-pay with each visit and the overall cost of the procedure totaled around $500 per IUI. Meds were available at the Kaiser pharmacy.
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
6 IUI, 6 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
I saw Dr. Huang for IUIs due to diminished ovarian reserve. I ended up doing 6 cycles of IUI in part because it was covered by my insurance, and also because I had some canceled IVF cycles that were converted to IUI with Kaiser. He had me taking Letrozole and then trigger for IUI...Dr Huang was super sweet and a great listener. He always responded to my emails promptly and kindly....Dr Huang is the kindest, loveliest man. He was so compassionate and I wish he could have done my IVF but his clinic didn’t offer it
6 IUI, 6 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr Huang was super sweet and a great listener. He always responded to my emails promptly and kindly. I’ve since seen several other REs as we moved on to IVF, and no one was as compassionate or responsive. I never felt like he was in a hurry to get to the next patient and he is the only RE that wasn’t uncomfortable with crying:)
Don’t feel shy to email with questions. The practice is great except Kaiser SF doesn’t do IVF if you must move on to more treatment.
The nurses were responsive and communicated well. The only hitch was that it was difficult to speak with them directly because you have to leave a message first to initiate a communication.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Kaiser is fantastic because all of your care is coordinated under one roof. Your providers can see all of your labs from other providers, plus order labs/meds for your partner easily. The facility itself is a bit crowded but the rooms are nice and the waiting time wasn’t too bad
We were lucky that infertility services were covered by Kaiser at the time, so only had 30$ co-pays per procedure
We never discussed this as I wasn’t seeing him for IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
He’s [Dr. Huang] kind and can be a bit in a rush with you. Seems to treat each cycle as a new one not being informed by the last cycle to make adjustments. Very conservative on treatment options and not willing to think out of the box...Very conservative on treatments. Very hesitant to listen to patient needs. Kind and calm. Irritating to work with as he won’t get ‘cerative’ In his treatment ideas. Very much a protocol for all and if that doesn’t work then he can’t help
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He’s kind and can be a bit in a rush with you. Seems to treat each cycle as a new one not being informed by the last cycle to make adjustments. Very conservative on treatment options and not willing to think out of the box.
If you don’t need some creative out of the box thinking kind of treatment, then he’s fine.
1st cycle was 7.5 mg letrozole, IUI 2nd cycle was 10.5 mg letrozole, IUI 3rd cycle was 10.5 mg letrozole , IUI 4th cycle was 150 mg Clomid, IUI 5th cycle was 150 mg Clomid, IUI 6th cycle was 150iu Gonal F, 75 Menapour, IUI- Over stim- bust 7th cycle, EPP, 150 Gonal F 75 Menapour, IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Peters)
Kind and hopeful with us. Very patient
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
All staff take time with you sand are personable. Can be busy. Not open on Sunday’s
10k total includes meds
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?