6.3
6.3

6.5

U. Central Del Este (Uce)
Jackson Mem Hosp

nurse available by email
J. Ricardo Loret de Mola works at

751 North Rutledge Street
Springfield, IL 62702
217.545.2229

2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Loret de Mola] does a very good job of reaching you on your level. He will sit and talk/explain until you have an understanding. Also what stood out-he gave a hug or touched your hand during the hard times... We did a fresh cycle/transfer and had six embryos. We were so excited - but over a years time not one of those six embryos and 4 transfers later turned into a successful pregnancy. We had one miscarriage but all the rest were failed transfers. After all this he said we could "try again" but did not mention what to do differently or how we could increase our odds.
just continual bad luck [at Southern Illinois University]. Six embryos, four transfers and no baby. We are looking elsewhere...A fresh cycle of IVF was about $10,000 plus meds $5-6,000. Every FET was $4,000 plus meds $1,500-2000... It's weakness is that there is only one doctor and one embryologist. So there is no team experience. What they think is what they do. I would prefer to have a bigger clinic next time.
How was your experience with J. Ricardo Loret de Mola at Southern Illinois University?
Dr. LDM gave us our twins in 2014. We only had two embryos from our retrieval so we transferred both. We were due with a boy and a girl but unfortunately they came early at 23 weeks. We lost our daughter after 17 hours but now our son turned 4 and we have been trying for the last 3 years to give him another sibling. We had no doubt that returning to SIU for another cycle of IVF would do the trick. We did a fresh cycle/transfer and had six embryos. We were so excited - but over a years time not one of those six embryos and 4 transfers later turned into a successful pregnancy. We had one miscarriage but all the rest were failed transfers. After all this he said we could "try again" but did not mention what to do differently or how we could increase our odds. Just try again doing the same thing that resulted in six lost embryos and a year of our time. Needless to say we are not returning but now looking for a new clinic with a different approach. We did have success our first round and I also know a handful of women who had successful pregnancies with him as well.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of J. Ricardo Loret de Mola at Southern Illinois University?
Do labs and ultrasounds early in the morning! Less wait time then. :)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with J. Ricardo Loret de Mola at Southern Illinois University?
He does a very good job of reaching you on your level. He will sit and talk/explain until you have an understanding. Also what stood out-he gave a hug or touched your hand during the hard times.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Southern Illinois University.
Their staff has gone through so many changes! Over our year of treatment the nurses, aids and ultrasound techs all changed. The one constant was Mayjen. She coordinated everything at the desk and knew what was going on and how to help you.
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
It's a good clinic in the central IL area. It has better statistics than the dr's in Peoria which is why we choose to drive the hour and a half to come here. It's weakness is that there is only one doctor and one embryologist. So there is no team experience. What they think is what they do. I would prefer to have a bigger clinic next time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under J. Ricardo Loret de Mola at Southern Illinois University.
Describe J. Ricardo Loret de Mola's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Southern Illinois University.
Because of our previous history with 23 week twins, we did eSET for the first three transfers in 2017/8. And then for our last transfer we put in two because there were only two embryos left and our history of failed transfers. Again, it didn't work.
What specific things went wrong at Southern Illinois University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Southern Illinois University.
Not wrong-just continual bad luck. Six embryos, four transfers and no baby. We are looking elsewhere.
Springfield

I felt he [Dr. J. Ricardo Loret de Mola] was very educated and had a great bedside manner. I just needed more time to understand the process because I do have a healthcare background. There was just not enough time to explain things to me as I needed them explained and other than the appointment times, I could not get questions answered by Doctor or other staff. See staff/nurse comments. I will say that things did get better once a PA was added to the staff.
I was not at all confident in the nursing staff [at SIU]. I had a lot of trouble with the nurse not calling me back even if I left multiple messages. I also had an issue with the nurse scheduling my HSG without verifying that the insurance will cover the procedure. I do not know if this was a breakdown in communication between the insurance personnel and the nurse or what, but I have the procedure done and then got a denial from the insurance company AFTER I have the procedure. I am not confident in the nursing staff to refer a friend to this facility.
I liked Dr. Loret de Mola. My experiences with the clinic as a whole would deter me from recommending him to anyone. I had multiple problems with others. I felt he was very educated and had a great bedside manner. I just needed more time to understand the process because I do have a healthcare background. There was just not enough time to explain things to me as I needed them explained and other than the appointment times, I could not get questions answered by Doctor or other staff. See staff/nurse comments. I will say that things did get better once a PA was added to the staff.
Have your questions written out and make sure you are able to ask them at appointments because you may not get another chance to ask them.
I had a lot of trouble with the clinical staff more than once I was able to see Dr. Loret de Mola.
Describe the protocols J. Ricardo Loret de Mola used in your cycles at Southern Illinois University and their degree of success.
I had dysfunctional/occluded tubes (Hydrosalpinx dx) and had to have them removed before I could even start IVF procedures. Hydrosalpinx tube contain embryo toxic fluid. Once removed I started meds for egg retrieval, folicle and blood level monitoring, and had egg retrieval. I only had 3 eggs (1 mature and 2 immature). They fertilized the only mature egg and implanted 2 days later. The procedure was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern Illinois University. (Assigned nurse: Tara)
I was not at all confident in the nursing staff. I had a lot of trouble with the nurse not calling me back even if I left multiple messages. I also had an issue with the nurse scheduling my HSG without verifying that the insurance will cover the procedure. I do not know if this was a breakdown in communication between the insurance personnel and the nurse or what, but I have the procedure done and then got a denial from the insurance company AFTER I have the procedure. I am not confident in the nursing staff to refer a friend to this facility.
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
The clinic is attached to a hospital. It is a teaching facility, which I am pro teaching as I have been a healthcare student. The staff gradually improved, but I did have to send a letter to Quality Management before I saw an improvement. The Embryologist was the QM and I had to refer to him multiple time during my treatment to get questions answered or to get a call back. The improvements continued with the addition of a PA. I felt trapped into staying with the facility since there is no other close choices. I live in Woodson, IL and the other two options I found where Chicago (4 hr) and St. Louis (2 hr) from my residence.
There was an IVF "package" of $9500, Egg Donor/Surrogacy/Donor Clinic are extra, Genetic Testing Facility are extra, Embryo Bx are extra, Meds are extra, ect. We spent close to $20,000.00 and I only produced 1 mature egg that was not even optimal. I was told there was no indication by my blood work that would indicate the results I got. If we can raise the funds to try again, I will have to have an egg donor which will increase our costs $14,000-$20,000 more.
I did not have multiple embryos, so this does not pertain to me.
What specific things went wrong at Southern Illinois University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Southern Illinois University.
I had multiple issues with the insurance department. They did not get approvals before exams, did not advocate for me on insurance issues, charged me for portions of my "self pay package" that I already paid for, and neglected to call me back when I left one or multiple messages. I had to call my insurance company to advocate for myself and find out how things needed to be coded to be covered and let the insurance department know to re-code.