Medical SchoolYale
215.654.1544
833 Chestnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
215.922.1556
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jacqueline Gutmann to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of Philadelphia to a friend?
Dr. Gutmann and the staff have been great in communicating and answering questions. For our current treatment cycle she has agreed to do a mock Natural FET which is something she normally doesn't do but has agreed to let us try. She is willing to collaborate with us while giving us her professional recommendation.... She is very blunt and straightforward, but underneath there is a wicked sense of humor, which both my husband and I appreciate. Her personality fits well with us and we appreciate her ongoing collaboration in our treatment.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is very candid and thorough. She is very blunt and straightforward, but underneath there is a wicked sense of humor, which both my husband and I appreciate. Her personality fits well with us and we appreciate her ongoing collaboration in our treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She is very thorough and knowledgeable. She is a straightshooter and is very clinical in her assessments. Some people not like or appreciate that, but I do.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Jacqueline Gutmann used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
We started with clomid and timed intercourse. I did not like clomid and the side effects that occurred with it and we quickly moved on to injectable meds with timed intercourse. She was very candid about her treatment plan and why she recommended moving on to IVF when she did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Melissa is the glue that holds the Mechanicsburg office together. She is extremely knowledgeable, compassionate, and caring.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I like that the location I go to is small. I see either the nurse practitioner or doctor every visit. Monitoring on weekends is convenient, I'm lucky to live 10 minutes from the office and hospital (where weekend monitoring appointments are). For major procedures like egg retrieval, FET, etc we had to travel to the King of Prussia office but other than that all procedures were done locally.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of Philadelphia.
It was very smooth, they take patients for sonograms on a first come, first serve basis. Bloodwork can take a bit more time since it is done in the outpatient lab but is not usually too long of a wait. RMA patients are expedited in the outpatient center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia.
Our treatment leading up to IVF was covered under insurance. I appreciate that she did not recommend IUIs (which would not be covered under my insurance). Stating that they don't produce good outcomes and we would most likely end up needing IVF. Total cost of IVF cycle with medication cost approximately $16k
Describe Jacqueline Gutmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
She prefers to transfer one embryo at a time due to the risks multiples create. I wanted to have a discussion about transferring two, which she happily obliged.
Mechanicsburg
For such a personal process I consider Dr. Gutman and her team very impersonal and not very caring.... She sent most of her messages through her nurse. Spoke to me via phone one time because it was protocol. If the process was successful or unsuccessful. You still expect your doctor to show some tact and not be so cold. Dr. Gutman was very knowledgeable but very, very cold in her delivery of any news. I guess it makes it easier to give people info.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
None supportive, None caring. She sent most of her messages through her nurse. Spoke to me via phone one time because it was protocol. If the process was successful or unsuccessful. You still expect your doctor to show some tact and not be so cold. Dr. Gutman was very knowledgeable but very, very cold in her delivery of any news. I guess it makes it easier to give people info. that way, but it's very weird none the less. Poor bedside manner overall.
Don't let them(the RMA Team) push you into purchasing medication right away so that you still have the option of getting out of there and finding another Doctor.
For such a personal process I consider Dr. Gutman and her team very impersonal and not very caring. When you first go to RMA the entire team, from the receptionist to the doctors to the finance team advises you, "We will take care of you"."Once you pay, you can come through anytime you want" However, it seems that as soon as you hand over your money, they forget you literally. A nurse is assigned to you when you go to RMA who is supposed to provide info. to Dr. Gutman about your case. However, everytime except for once when I have called I have spoken to a different nurse and every time they seem to somehow kinda conveniently forget that you are a patient. Dr. Gutman may know her medical stuff but, she seems to only want to deal one on one with patients when a check is involved. When there is not there is no follow-up, no explanation, and no support.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
My nurse was very interested and seemed caring when it came to making sure t the paperwork was signed by me for the procedure. However, after that, I was bounced around from nurse to nurse which made the whole process seem to be very unorganized because I would have to explain myself over and over again to the new nurse.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The Hematologist at RMA Center City are fantastic. Caring, let you know exactly what was going to happen step by step. The Hematologist at RMA King of Prussia are dry and seem not to be that interested in their patients.
I paid $16,000 for IVF treatment which was never received
Philadelphia
I really like Dr Gutmann. She's present when I'm with her, I think she definitely considers me as an individual in my treatment, she answers my questions, she has a sense of humor, and she's empathetic. My only issue is it's hard to actually see her. An appointment takes a while to get if I want to talk to her/reassess. I usually end up seeing one of the other Drs on call when I go due to my cycle and the Drs schedules... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
I feel like I did this a few questions ago... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc. I wish I could see her for all of my appointments for continuity, but I usually end up seeing a different Dr due to my cycle and the schedules of the Drs on call.
That FYI, you won't be dealing with just her, you get whichever Dr is in. Which isn't bad, they're all good. It would just be nice for continuity and questions.
I started out the first cycle without drugs because I got pregnant easily the first time. Second cycle I used Letrosol because there is supposedly a slightly lower risk of multiples than Clomid. Didn't like the side effects of Letrosol. Next 3 cycles with Clomid and Ovedril. 5 cycles total of IUI. About to start trying with IVF.
Really like the nursing staff here, they're all sweet. In the beginning I had some confusion- I guess they're used to people coming in for multiple cycles and knowing the routine, but at first I didn't know what the steps were and not everything was fully explained. Once I got used to the basic routine, it was fine.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I like it, but I wish the same Dr were available at the location each time I went (more or less). They rotate locations though so I saw the 2 other drs more than my primary. Staff is nice and helpful. They seem to understand that fertility is a stressful/touchy subject so they make the visits nice. Waiting room is nice. Clinic is clean. I've brought my 4 year old daughter to most visits with me and they always welcome her and give her stickers.
$1200 per cycle for IUI, then additional cost of buying donor sperm online.
We haven't really dealt with this yet.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Gutmann has been very invested in giving me the best possible chance of success. She has always gone the extra mile to respond to my questions and anxieties. She has called and emailed me directly, and she has helped me when I miscarried....she may be a bit conservative in her approach....She had me undergo a hysteroscopy prior to beginning the cycle... Even though this delayed the cycle it gave me the beatbox chance of having success and peace of mind.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is a wonderful physician. She is knowledgeable, compassionate, understanding and patient. She is very empathic. She always explained what to expect. If there were any complications or concerns, she would explain what they were and the best course of action. She didn't hesitate to ask her colleagues for their opinion in my care, when needed which I respect and consider a sign of confidence in her abilities. She doesn't allow pride to keep her from getting answers for her patients to obtain the best care possible for them.
Understanding that she may be a bit conservative in her approach.
Dr. Gutmann has been very invested in giving me the best possible chance of success. She has always gone the extra mile to respond to my questions and anxieties. She has called and emailed me directly, and she has helped me when I miscarried. She's been encouraging without sugar coating the odds. She's always been honest.
She had me undergo a hysteroscopy prior to beginning the cycle. A fibroid was found and surgery was advisedly. On repeat scope, another possible fibroid was found which wasn't clear and so an MRI was recommended and showed that there were two small fibroids which wouldn't interfere in pregnancy given their location. Even though this delayed the cycle it gave me the beatbox chance of having success and peace of mind. I did become pregnant with that first cycle
There were two primary nurse practitioners who worked with me since I was using donors. They were both very responsive to my questions. The other nurses were also responsive to my questions. I felt confident in their knowledge. They were all very compassionate and also invested in the success of their patients.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Their physicians and staff are their biggest strengths. The multiple locations are another strength. The facilities are well designed and comfortable. Their surgery center is extremely well run. Weaknesses- I can't think of any.
Last year, I had a different insurance which covered most of my expenses. However, this year, my insurance isn't willing to cover more than 1 IVF cycle and only if done before April 29th. So, I'm not sure of out of pocket costs
I completely agreed with her reasoning for single embryo transfer given the increased risk to me and any potential fetus with multiples. MFM agreed as well.
Philadelphia
I felt complete trust in her [Dr. Jacqueline Gutmann] and felt very respected and 100% included as the non-gestational partner (my wife carried our child). Dr. Gutmann made herself very available to us over email at any time. We had a difficult situation regarding a non-viable pregnancy through the course of our journey, and though Dr. Gutmann was aware early on that it would almost certainly end up as non-viable, she gave us the information but didn't pressure us at all in making our own decision as to how to proceed. She is very, very queer-competent, and was super respectful in her language. I could not be happier in our choice to work with her, and hope to do so again when the time is right to try for a sibling!
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann was very clear, thorough, and extremely knowledgeable. She was instantly able to answer every question we asked with specifics. Was is a bit blunt and will absolutely "tell it like it is" but I felt complete trust in her and felt very respected and 100% included as the non-gestational partner (my wife carried our child). Dr. Gutmann made herself very available to us over email at any time. We had a difficult situation regarding a non-viable pregnancy through the course of our journey, and though Dr. Gutmann was aware early on that it would almost certainly end up as non-viable, she gave us the information but didn't pressure us at all in making our own decision as to how to proceed. She is very, very queer-competent, and was super respectful in her language. I could not be happier in our choice to work with her, and hope to do so again when the time is right to try for a sibling!
I would strongly advise people to work with her, particularly if you are queer or trans!
Dr. Gutmann was a godsend. She did a fantastic job of communicating with us throughout a very long and draining process. She was extremely responsive, including replying to emails outside of business hours, and answered all of our many detailed questions.
We used Letrozole to regularize ovulation, plus bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring to track the process of ovulation. Then, when the follicles looked good, we would use an HCG trigger shot to trigger ovulation, followed by an IUI. After the IUI we used progesterone suppositories.
The nursing staff was so supportive and seemed very up to date on our specific needs and situation each visit.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Highly queer competent, they do a lot of outreach in the community. We saw all the doctors in the practice at different times over the year we worked with RMA, and though Dr. Gutmann was in charge of our care and was our point of contact, we didn't have a problem with any of the other doctors on staff. Overall, RMA does a great job of being extremely clear in all forms of communication, and they are great about letting you know exactly what is happening and what will happen next.
Bloodwork only monitoring visits were free, ultrasound monitoring visits, IUIs, and longer personal meetings with Dr. Gutmann were a $35 copay.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Guttman is very knowledgeable and up to date on latest research. I trust her medical advice but her communication is not good. She does not explain things in detail. For example, she just says "looks good". Other REs that I have seen in the same practice actually explain to you the ultrasound, what they see on the screen, not just "looks good"...Each person reacts differently to the medication and there are things that should change after reflecting or taking into account what worked and didn't work last cycle. Unfortunately, I didn't feel that this was being done. It felt like a one size fits all kind of approach.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Guttman is very knowledgeable and up to date on latest research. I trust her medical advice but her communication is not good. She does not explain things in detail. For example, she just says "looks good". Other REs that I have seen in the same practice actually explain to you the ultrasound, what they see on the screen, not just "looks good". It is important to know for yourself what is going on because how else will you be able to make a decision.
If you need hand holding find another doctor. If you go, you'll need to be a very strong advocate of your options.
Most nurses are great and feel for you. Some prefer to give you their advice instead of having the doctor call you about your concerns but if you ask to speak with the doctor they will do that. As with everything, make sure to stay on top of your treatment, ask questions and be clear about your steps because they will miss things and forget to tell you things.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They are very organized, follow the rules and try to have a good system in place. The rooms are always clean and waiting rooms are quiet. As a new patient, if you need hand holding see Dr. Freedman, he has great empathy and explains things well. If you want someone direct, data driven, and up to date on research see Dr. Castelbaum. Unfortunately, they work out of the other locations not center city.
Strong preference for eSET not multiple.
Philadelphia
Dr. Gutmann remembers details about your life and is very personable. She's blunt, but very caring...Dr. Gutmann is clearly very knowledgeable and skilled in this area....I was really thankful for her honesty when we hit an unexpected delay with our sperm donor. She let us know what to expect, and then gave us space to make some decisions. At times, her blunt responses were initially shocking, but it doesn't take you long to realize that she truly cares and also is quite funny!
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is clearly very knowledgeable and skilled in this area. She helped us make a plan that fit our lives and was very honest with us. I appreciated this because I just wanted to know what to expect. I was really thankful for her honesty when we hit an unexpected delay with our sperm donor. She let us know what to expect, and then gave us space to make some decisions. At times, her blunt responses were initially shocking, but it doesn't take you long to realize that she truly cares and also is quite funny!
Be prepared to be told the absolute truth. If you're somebody that needs any potentially tough information given "sugar-coated," you may be surprised by Dr. Gutmann's blunt repsonses; just remember it comes from a caring and knowledgeable place.
Dr. Gutmann remembers details about your life and is very personable. She's blunt, but very caring. While going through a procedure, I was visibly uncomfortable, and she had amazing bedside manners. She ensured I was ok, and definitely tended to me until she knew I was comfortable again.
We are still in process with Dr. Gutmann and needed to have a change of course, so I don't have current specifics.
The nurses were all very efficient during appointments, which was appreciated when rushing to get bloodwork done in the morning before work! The nurses remember the patients and are usually very warm. When calling to talk to a nurse, they always respond quickly and have thorough answers.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
This clinic is clearly very skilled in reproductive medicine; I describe them as a "well-oiled machine." Almost all staff were warm and caring, while being very thorough. Another big strength and appeal for us was their inclusivity of the LGBT community. Some weaknesses would be that every now and then, another doctor would do the vaginal ultrasounds, and they weren't as warm as Dr. Gutmann. Also, we did have a frustrating conversation with a financial planner when we made the decision to go from IUI to IVF. She didn't know our situation and actually was almost pressuring us to go with an anonymous donor over our known donor due to cost.
2014 - 2017
Dr. Gutman has a dry sense of humor and can be very brusque...Her personality demystified treatments and made the whole fertility process seem more "normal." She's honest about what to expect and what statistics around pregnancy are for each treatment type. When planning your treatment she takes multiple factors into consideration including your fertility Heath, of course, but also your finances, your reaction to drugs, and your access to sperm, for example. I've always felt very taken care of by the doctor.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman has a dry sense of humor and can be very brusque. I found this to be a positive about her personality - she never made the fertility treatments feel precious. Her personality demystified treatments and made the whole fertility process seem more "normal." She's honest about what to expect and what statistics around pregnancy are for each treatment type. When planning your treatment she takes multiple factors into consideration including your fertility Heath, of course, but also your finances, your reaction to drugs, and your access to sperm, for example. I've always felt very taken care of by the doctor. I have no complaints - I wish she were my primary physician, too.
Don't be turned off by her brusque-ness! She's actually a really warm and caring person.
Dr. Gutman was always clear about what to expect from the fertility treatments - she has a positive outlook without ever giving me false hope. She also had an air of authority while still making me feel comfortable to ask questions. At my last consultation I asked her what I felt was a stupid question about cervical mucus and she answered me without a hint of condescension and said, "Don't hold back your questions until a consultation. If there is something worrying you, you can call anytime." Her dry sense of humor makes me laugh every time I see her, but I never feel like she is holding something back that I need to know. Most importantly​, I always feel like she is tailoring my treatment to my specific fertility and financial needs. This has never felt like a one-size-fits-all process with Dr. Gutman.
Dr. Gutman first worked with me to identify if I could ovulate normally on fertility drugs since my PCOS kept me from ovulating normally naturally. She proscribed me Letrozole (after explaining the risks, giving me literature about the risks, and having me sign a consent form​ for the drug). I took two 5mg tablets (I think) of Letrozole on cycle days 4-9. After coming in for monitoring it was clear that I responded well to the Letrozole, so we started IUI cycles thereafter. I've been through 4 IUI cycles so far. I start with Letrozole, I'm monitored throughout the cycle, I take a trigger shot of Ovidrel when I have mature follicles and come in for insemination ~36 hours later. After 3 unsuccessful cycles I had a consultation with Dr. Gutman where we went over my body's responses to each cycle according to the monitoring. After reviewing each cycle she gave me multiple options for moving ahead which included more expensive and less expensive options - at no point did I feel pushed toward one option over another. I decided to continue with the Letrozole IUI cycles for the time being. We're still trying at the moment.
The RMA nurses in Center City are warm and inviting. They are good at every part of their job - from taking blood to showing compassion when you have a negative test. I love seeing the nurses when I arrive at the clinic. I was on a first-name basis with many of them after only a few appointments. I have felt less warmth from the nurses in King of Prussia, but that is not my normal clinic, so I don't feel like I can really speak to the atmosphere there.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA is a fantastic clinic. All the doctors are knowledgeable and friendly. The space is clean and warm. The connection to Jefferson Hospital makes procedures like the hysterosalpingogram easy. The one big downer to RMA is that the only clinic open on Sundays is in King of Prussia, so if you need to see a doctor on Sunday you must travel to the suburbs. It's highly inconvenient if you do not have a car.
$1200 per monitored IUI cycle
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
We met wth Dr. Gutmann on a handful of occasions, although we rarely saw her for monitoring appointments or heard from her otherwise (all communication is through the nursing staff). Dr. Gutmann is an intelligent physician with exceptional training and expertise in the field. Unfortunately, she lacks a warm bedside manner. Her reaction to our miscarriages at the practices was robotic and jarring. Ultimately, we decided to switch practices because of this. As our case became more complicated, we needed someone with a more gentle touch and we wanted to have more contact with a single physician.
Dr. Guttman is a highly trained and experienced physician. She would be a good fit for couples or individuals trying to conceive who are interested in simply receiving clinical care and who do not need additional support.
The way that RMA of Philadelphia works is that, while you have one doctor overseeing your care, you are part of a practice with five locations in the area. The doctors switch locations every day. When I first I went to RMA at the beginning of 2016, there were 7 doctors. By the time we finally decided to switch practices 13 months later, 3 had left and there were only 4. Suffice it to say, 4 doctors cannot cover all 5 practice locations. As a result, you are seen by different doctors at each appointment, rarely see "your" doctor, often see a sonographer, and (in addition) you don't have an assigned nurse. I would receive updates on pregnancy monitoring and next steps by personnel I had never met at locations I had never been to. As a result, you feel like you are part of a machine instead of like a human being.
We did Clomid + IUI cylcles with Dr. Gutmann and one Clomid alone cycle. Neither the dosage was ever changed nor was the protocol. Our result was multiple miscarriages and we ultimately switched practices and doctors after searching for a second opinion.
The nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia are the glue that holds the practice together. The nurses work very hard to answer your questions and address any concerns. Unfortunately, however, you are not assigned a primary nurse at this practice, so every phone call come be from a different person - often someone with no knowledge of your case and someone you have never met. This lack of continuity can be challenging as you relay your story and details over and over to new people. In our case, multiple clerical errors occurred, such as a blood test once being "lost." I don't blame the nurses, as I believe they are working very hard. But there is clearly a lack of cohesion at this practice that I believe would be improved by assigning patients to a single nurse or team who can keep track of details in a single place.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The strengths of RMA of Philadelphia include multiple locations across the Philadelphia area, weekend hours at their King of Prussia location, and a strong and devoted nursing staff. Weaknesses include not seeing your physician regularly, seeing sonographers for monitoring appointments, and not having an assigned nurse to oversee your care.
We incurred few costs with this practice as IUI was covered under our insurance. We did pay out pocket for medications, but these were inexpensive.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Gutmann was patient, caring, compassionate, and encouraging. Her wet sense of humor helped us through even the darkest of days, and her clear and concise communication style helped us understand our current plan. There aren't words to express how thankful we are to have had her guidance and expertise as we worked through each failure and ultimately found success...Dr. Gutmann will have a lot of answers and information...sometimes all at once, and it won't always be easy to remember everything that was said. That's ok. She's also open to your suggestions and will guide you...don't be afraid to advocate for yourself! In a best-case scenario, you'll feel an active part of the "team" at RMA.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
My husband and I went through over two years of fertility treatment before welcoming our daughter. This included an IUI cycle that resulted in the premature birth and loss of a son at 22 weeks of pregnancy, three ectopic pregnancies during subsequent monitored and/or IUI cycles, removal of my Fallopian tubes, and one cycle of IVF. Through it all, Dr. Gutmann was patient, caring, compassionate, and encouraging. Her wet sense of humor helped us through even the darkest of days, and her clear and concise communication style helped us understand our current plan. There aren't words to express how thankful we are to have had her guidance and expertise as we worked through each failure and ultimately found success.
Don't be afraid to take notes. You will have questions, and Dr. Gutmann will have a lot of answers and information...sometimes all at once, and it won't always be easy to remember everything that was said. That's ok. She's also open to your suggestions and will guide you...don't be afraid to advocate for yourself! In a best-case scenario, you'll feel an active part of the "team" at RMA.
Dr. Gutmann individualized treatment each cycle. Each time we failed, she would call - no matter the time of day or the day of the week - to review what had happened and plan next steps. She was sympathetic and helped us maintain a positive attitude through some very difficult losses. She never once made us think she she didn't believe we'd ultimately find success.
For my IUI cycles, I took 5 mg of Femara on days 4-8 and was monitored via bloodwork and ultrasound before IUI. For my IVF cycle, I underwent an antagonist protocol with follistim and menopur before freezing my embryos and surgically removing my tubes. My FET cycle involved orsl and vaginal estrace, as well as baby aspirin, estrogen patches, and eventually both progesterone in oil injections and Crinone. Adjustments were made after each monitoring appointment as we went.
The nurses at RMA are excellent! They respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner, explain bloodwork results fully, and provide emotional support like no other medical practice. They literally and figuratively held my hand through every setback, and even came in early one Saturday morning to administer methotrexate so that I could spend the rest of that weekend regrouping and trying to stay positive after being diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I wouldn't have made it through treatment without their excellent support.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Treatment at RMA is flexible and individualized. They open early at 7 am each morning for monitoring, and will readily call back even if you try to get in touch after hours or on weekends. They're open 365 days per year and will work with you to design treatment plans that cater to your specific situation.
Monitoring innthe mornings was well-run. Rarely would I wait more than 15 minutes, and rarely were patients overscheduled, but if I required and early-morning appointment they were always able to squeeze me in during a convenient time. The clinic strikes a great balance between giving patients their time and making sure everyone is seen.
The clinic offers various treatment package, including a shared-risk program for IVF. For us, we were lucky that insurance covered most of our testing and procedures. We only paid co-pays and coinsurance.
Due to my age and history of pregnancy loss due to cervical insufficiency, Dr. Gutmann and I both agreed to transfer only one embryo at a time.
King of Prussia
Dr. Gutman was fantastic. She was very direct, which I appreciated, and she did a great job of managing my expectations. She also managed to explain complicated things clearly and in non-medical terms. I truly felt like I was in the best hands...Upon initial testing, I started taking synthroid for hypothyroidism. For the first cycle, we used letrozole and waited for me to ovulate on my own which occurred very late. I also had a short luteal phase that month. In the following cycle, I used letrozole, ovidrel and progesterone to lengthen my luteal phase.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Trust her. She is extremely thorough but if you have questions that are unanswered, ask!
Dr Gutmann was always realistic but hopeful. She was empathetic when we were sad and frustrated but also helped us to set realistic expectations.
Upon initial testing, I started taking synthroid for hypothyroidism. For the first cycle, we used letrozole and waited for me to ovulate on my own which occurred very late. I also had a short luteal phase that month. In the following cycle, I used letrozole, ovidrel and progesterone to lengthen my luteal phase. I became pregnant but unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. Based on my testing, dr gutman felt that we should try that protocal a few more times and I became pregnant on the second cycle after my miscarriage.
THe nurses were phenomenal. They really got to know me and were extremely supportive.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Everythign was very easy. I was seen on time, received lab results on time and making appts was easy. I would have preferred to have spoken to only nurses that I saw in my regular office rather than nurses from other offices which happened from time to time. I was concerned that they werent as familiar with the ins and outs of my treatment and didn't always feel as comfortable.
I paid a copay of $40 for ultrasounds. I also had to pay a copay for medications. Nothing else.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Gutman was compassionate, but realistic, which we appreciated. In a good way, there was no sugarcoating. She was patient with us as we slowly accepted our need for more aggressive fertility treatments in order to have the family we imagined. All the while, she provided clear explanations about procedures and helped us understand our options... She knows what her science can do for families, bringing love into this world, and I felt she was honestly disappointed when things didn't go the way we all wanted them to.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
We thought Dr. Gutman was terrific, and she will always hold a special place in our hearts for bringing us to a place where we now have the family we desired. Along the way, we appreciated her no-nonsense, upfront explanations of the way things were, step by step, good or bad. That might not work for everyone.
There was conversation between Dr. Gutmann and us, not just dry clinical conversation. She also genuinely seemed to be on the ride with us, wanting us to succeed. When our first cycle failed, she called with condolences and I believe she truly was heartbroken for us. She knows what her science can do for families, bringing love into this world, and I felt she was honestly disappointed when things didn't go the way we all wanted them to.
We were at another clinic first, but felt the care was lacking, so when we came to Dr. Gutman we had already been through the first steps of trying to overcome fertility, which was artificial insemination for us. It failed. With Dr. Gutman, we went right into egg retrieval, which was, unfortunately, not successful. We felt she was responsibly prudent with her dosages of the fertility medications, which included Bravelle and others I can't remember at this time. Something else--during initial conversations with Dr. Gutman, once we revealed we were hoping to have two children and transferring multiple embryos would be welcome, she (once again, responsibly) declined to participate such treatment, for the sake of baby's health and mom's health. As much as we really would have loved a two-for-one, we knew she was right and stuck with her and her professional opinion that we trusted.
They were all very friendly, professional, and sensitive. We always felt welcomed, warmly received, and like they were interested where we were on our journey. (Part of the reason we left the first clinic we tried was because of the nursing staff. Indifference and insensitivity come to mind in thinking about them.)
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We love that that clinic is inclusive and helps same-sex families achieve the families they desire. Location was a big plus for us with RMA--two of the offices were convenient for us when it came to blood draws, etc. Having the acupuncturist on-site was convenient as well. The facility was clean and always spotless. The staff gave very good, clear instruction about how to administer the medications and shots. They were also very helpful with suggesting rebate programs, etc., for the expensive medications. One dark spot in all the wonderfulness we experienced with Dr. Gutman and RMA came from the billing director out of the Willow Grove office. When our IVF cycle was canceled because there weren't any eggs to retrieve, the refund process was explained to us by the woman who handed billing in King of Prussia (she was wonderful). When it came time to enact the refund, her supervisor (that would be the woman in Willow Grove) got involved and was very abrupt and unfriendly with us, seemingly because either we misunderstood how we would be refunded, or because the woman in King of Prussia explained it to us incorrectly. We've always wondered if the King of Prussia woman got into trouble for either offering to give us a refund in a way that wasn't allowed, or for misleading us.
$18,000 for the failed IVF and egg retrieval $6,000 for the medications $3,000 ICSI genetic testing for the embryos Don't remember how much the frozen egg and embryo transfer process cost
IVF, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Dr. Gutmann has a matter-of-fact manner, which is not quite warm, but conveys her impressive intelligence and experience. She was always upfront and honest with us. She explained everything we needed to do clearly, and was always on top of our care. She was also completely willing to help us conceive in the manner we desired; we wanted to use my partner's eggs and donor sperm and I wanted to carry out the pregnancy. She was completely supportive of our wishes and was able to help us conceive as we planned...
IVF, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Don't expect someone who is touchy-feely. Dr. Gutmann is matter-of-fact, but she will be honest with you, will always take the time needed to explain your treatment, and is excellent at what she does.
I am part of a same-sex couple, and my spouse and I wanted to use her eggs and donor sperm to conceive, and then transfer to me to carry out the pregnancy. Dr. Gutmann was open, informative, welcoming, and non-judgmental throughout this process. She understood our situation and worked with us to achieve the family we wanted.
We did IVF, using 5-day embryo's from retrieved from my wife and inseminated me via ICSI with donor sperm from a cryobank. We then implanted the fresh embryo into me and did 12 weeks of progesterone injections. We had a normal, successful pregnancy. We froze the remaining embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
It was good to have one point of contact for questions about the various injections, the drugs we needed, the timings, etc. She provided us both with calendars to track our drug regimen and did demonstrations of the various products we needed to use. We also were provided with comprehensive, well organized paperwork describing all the drugs and procedures in detail, so we knew what to expect and could reference them during treatment.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths are organization and scheduling. Fertility treatment requires a huge amount of coordination of appointments, drugs, testing, and procedures. RMA, the clinic, was very organized and on top of our treatment plan. They also had appointments at convenient times and I never waited more than 15 minutes for a scheduled appointment. A weakness, if you can call it that, is that you will not see the same doctor every time you go in. This would be impossible, given that your appointments are based on your cycle and treatment milestones, so unless your doctor worked 7 days a week, it would be impossible to see him or her every time you went in. They are organized, however, so whatever doctor you see will know what you need at a particular visit. The only (unavoidable) downside is that we loved the doctor who oversaw our treatment, and who saw us most of the time, but didn't always connect with the other doctors who we only saw occasionally.
Our costs were minimal, as both my spouse and I had insurance that covered the vast majority of our drugs and procedures. I think we spent between $2,500-$4,000 out of pocket. But this was unique to us, due to our unusually generous coverage. RMA did a great job, however, of liaising with our insurance carriers to determine and confirm coverage.
2011 - 2012
None, Unexplained
She [Dr. Gutmann] is a competent physician. She is well read, very thorough and doesn't rush. Her wait time is minimal. She explained everything thoroughly. She is good with procedures. You want 200 characters but I can't think of anything else..At first, I felt that she really wanted to help me. After I didn't get results and my lack of insurance to cover injections, I felt like I was a less interesting patient. Also, one time she said it was because I waited too long. That was a very unfair statement.
2011 - 2012
None, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She is a competent physician. She is well read, very thorough and doesn't rush. Her wait time is minimal. She explained everything thoroughly. She is good with procedures. You want 200 characters but I can't think of anything else
Be a young patient with financial resources
At first, I felt that she really wanted to help me. After I didn't get results and my lack of insurance to cover injections, I felt like I was a less interesting patient. Also, one time she said it was because I waited too long. That was a very unfair statement. I didn't wait too long to try infertility treatment on purpose. I didn't have insurance and I had other personal issues that interfered with pursuing fertility. I still believe I can get pregnant. I am also disappointed that she didn't recommend acupuncture early on or start me on metformin
My cycle is fairly regular. We used medicine like cloud and letrizole to induce ovulation along with hug injection to facilitate ovulation before undergoing IUI. This was followed by topical progesterone as I had a little dip in mid cycle progesterone level. I was never told I had poor eggs. We wanted to do IVF but I couldn't afford it. All of my blood work was ok. I also had a removal of uterine polyp which was small but she wanted to make sure that there was no problem with embryos implantation
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
Everyone was on time, focused on my protocol and comfort, as well as communicated in a timely fashion.
No negative comments
Co pays were in line with my insurance. There was one fee associated with ICI that was charged to me because I wasn't using my husbands sperm/ I had to rely on donor sperm. I complained to the clinic, they said it was an insurance issue. It really upset me. I was a single mother and this felt like discrimination and I didn't really care if is an insurance issue or not. My insurance would have paid for the injectable medication if it were given in a medical short procedure unit. They said they didn't do it that way. I was not able to get full benefit of IVF due to these hurdles. I work in healthcare. I am able to be responsible for my own care. The drug cost was out of my control and I guess it was out of their control. I decided to pursue embryos donation. RMA had slim pickings when it came to donor embryos. She didn't refer me to the competing local clinic who I found out had a much more ample supply of donor embryos
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She [Dr. Gutmann] was very kind and understanding about our frustrations during the fertility process. We were frustrated at our lack of success, but we stuck it out and she never gave up on us. Ultimately, we were successful and we loved having Dr. G as our physician the entire time.... Dr. G was a huge asset to our care. If we had a doctor that we liked less, we might have been tempted to change, but she was kind and realistic. She was clear and accessible. She is extremely knowledgable and is an expert in the field.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
The infertility process is hard. We went through it for many years and had to adjust course a number of times. Dr. G was a huge asset to our care. If we had a doctor that we liked less, we might have been tempted to change, but she was kind and realistic. She was clear and accessible. She is extremely knowledgable and is an expert in the field.
If she got us pregnant, she can get you pregnant.
She was very kind and understanding about our frustrations during the fertility process. We were frustrated at our lack of success, but we stuck it out and she never gave up on us. Ultimately, we were successful and we loved having Dr. G as our physician the entire time.
I do not recall
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
Excellent nurses overall. Knowledgable and friendly. Very sensitive.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Clinic has hours everyday and on holidays. Very responsive to phone calls. Staff helps to look into insurance issues, which was very helpful. Early office hours allow for appointments before work. You have one primary doctor, but you will see multiple doctors based on who is scheduled. Ultimately, your doctors make all of the decisions. Our doctor was even making decisions and communicating decisions with us when she was on vacation abroad.
I do not remember. Insurance covered most IUI, IVF was out of pocket
RMA is very clear about wanting to avoid multiples. I appreciated this approach.
19 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Gutmann is amazing. Personal, but straight forward and no nonsense...If you want someone with the education and experience of a true fertility leader, she's your doc. She tells it like it is..never ambiguous, never harsh, but doesn't sugar coat either. She is so intelligent without making her patients seem dumb... she always explained her rationale and I always tusted her
European, Other
19 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She's just the best! Really knows her stuff, explains it well, doesn't sugar coat, but isn't harsh. Personable without being unprofessional. I was at RMA 219 times in my time there and everytime i knew she was in the office I felt relived and happy to know i was under her care and that I got the chance to talk with her.
If you want someone with the education and experience of a true fertility leader, she's your doc. She tells it like it is..never ambiguous, never harsh, but doesn't sugar coat either. She is so intelligent without making her patients seem dumb. Always has your best interest in mind and I'm pretty sure sheworks 23/7
Dr. Gutmann is amazing. Personal, but straight forward and no nonsense. we also discussed personal lives and she got to know us
23 cycles too many too list but she always explained her rationale and I always tusted her
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA is always open...holidays and weekends. they are very responsive, helpful, and the staff is great
IUIs the most expensive part was teh donor sperm. copays each visit and my shots weren't covered. they were $99 a cycle. during IVF i got into a package deal that was roughly $20,000 and meds were close to $5,000 each cycle. No insurance coverage with IVF. My Wife started IVF and her meds were mostly covered with a small copay. We received grants from Hasidah and JFCS. that helped. overall we spent about $80,000 for 3 years of infertility
2012 - 2015
She [Dr. Gutmann] is a good advocate, competent with both medical and procedural aspects of infertility medicine. My success was limited in part to the fact that my insurance coverage was limited and affordable injection medicine was not available to me...She never used the term unexplained infertility but I suspect that is what I have. We planned on injections but insurance would only cover it if the medicine was given in a medical short procedure unit. When I informed her of that , she didn’t think it was a good idea
2012 - 2015
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She is a good advocate, competent with both medical and procedural aspects of infertility medicine. My success was limited in part to the fact that my insurance coverage was limited and affordable injection medicine was not available to me
Start your infertility journey early and don’t mess around with IUI. Go straight to IVF, donor eggs, whatever. I personally believe that if you cannot get pregnant naturally IUI is not enough to get you pregnant. Be more aggressive in pursuing pregnancy
She was very determined and committed to helping me get pregnant
We used Clomid, letrozole and IUI. I have regular cycle, normal uterus and endometrial lining. Tubes were patent. She never used the term unexplained infertility but I suspect that is what I have. We planned on injections but insurance would only cover it if the medicine was given in a medical short procedure unit. When I informed her of that , she didn’t think it was a good idea
Pretty knowledgeable and thorough
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Efficient, accessible, comfortable. 200 words? Really? Parking was good. Business staff helpful. Place is clean, modern equipment. Short wait time for appointment booking. Short time in waiting room. Good magazine selection
I had HRA plan. I had expected costs. My pharmacy plan did not cover injections. I had to pay out of pocket for sperm
No experience
Anovulation, Unexplained
She [Dr. Gutmann] was very thorough on what was best for me and my husband, not what most people do. She would personally call me with results vs a front desk girl...She was very open and honest with our chances of conceiving, we hit a few bumps and she was very assuring everything would work out. She is very gentle and soft speaking. Listens to what I want to do next within a cycle....I first had an hsg to makesure there were no blockages...
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
If you are unsure about anything, ask questions!
She was very thorough on what was best for me and my husband, not what most people do. She would personally call me with results vs a front desk girl
I first had an hsg to makesure there were no blockages, there weren't! Next we started provera to bring on my cycle. Took femara and then monitored, a little late ovulator and then used the trigger shot ovidrel
I honestly haven't dealt with any face to face, usually just speak with on the phone and they are always kind and considerate
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I love everything about it, it's a smaller, more personal clinic! You truly feel like a patient and not a number . It's very clean, quiet and calming. They are great with fitting you in for last minute monitoring!
My insurance has covered a lot for IUI but I do know my trigger was mailed to me overnight and it was $73
Mechanicsburg
She [Dr. Gutmann] spent almost an hour going over our previous treatments. She answered our questions throughly and never once rushed us through any of our appointments...So far it has been an excellent experience. She has been very thoughtful and has been ordering tests for issues that were not previously followed up on by my prior doctor. She has been excellent with communicating with me and her office always follows up within 24 hours
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She spent almost an hour going over our previous treatments. She answered our questions throughly and never once rushed us through any of our appointments
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I have not been with this clinic long but the nurses have been great at following up so far. The staff has been organized and they have done an excellent job in scheduling. The one thing that has so far not been a problem but I am aware of is that often times I get duplicate calls from the nursing staff regarding the same test results etc
Philadelphia
Dr. Guttman is very smart and very thorough but she is not very warm or empathetic and seems to lack an appreciation for how emotionally challenging this process can be.... As I said, I am confident in her skills as a doctor, but her lack of empathy is very problematic. She also doesn't seem to understand how expensive treatment is, and how stressful that can be. She has clearly done this a lot knows her stuff. She responds to emails in 1-2 days.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
If you need someone warm and empathetic she is not the right person.
I am doing monitored cycles so I have ultrasounds every few days, take clomid and then do trigger shots. After this is do iui procedure. This is done to maximize the potential of getting pregnant with the iui.
Lovely, supportive, attentive and empathetic. They also are excellent at returning phone calls.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Very efficiently run. Front desk staff is great.
Costs are very high. I believe they are on par with other clinics but my insurance coverage is bad.
Philadelphia
Dr. Gutmann is stats driven; she sticks to what has shown to be probable to work and explains things on what is probable to be happening. In the end, it was effective and worked. I definitely felt empathy and appreciated her style.... Always have a list of questions prepared and bombard Dr. Gutmann with them whenever given the opportunity to see her. The way the practice is run, oftentimes patients see other doctors or only nurses, and they are not as well informed.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Whenever we had the opportunity to speak with Dr. Gutmann, she always took the time to answer our questions and encouraged us to ask even the questions that felt most absurd. I appreciated the time she took to help us feel informed. However, common practice was for a nurse to be the one calling us with important test results or treatment instructions, and oftentimes they were not able to answer basic questions or, sometimes, we were given incorrect information.