Medical SchoolU. of Antioquia
ResidencyHosp San Vincente (Col)
FellowshipJohns Hopkins
10753 Falls Road
Baltimore, MD 21093
410-583-2753
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jairo Garcia to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Johns Hopkins Medical Institute to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Dr Jairo’s education is definitely a strength... Communication across the clinic [Johns Hopkins] is a weakness. You kind of have to be an advocate for yourself regarding your own healthcare...our doctor prefers a single embryo transfer for donor egg transfers....Limited amount of time the doctor is able to see each patient and the amount of women using the clinic services....we tried to perform an egg retrieval using my remaining ovary but the endometriosis returned in the right ovary
How was your experience with Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
Dr Jairo’s education is definitely a strength. The clinic operation is the weakness. Which is less to do with doctor and more to do with management. Communication across the clinic is a weakness. You kind of have to be an advocate for yourself regarding your own healthcare but that is the way the healthcare industry operates as a whole.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
Be your own advocate. Know what is going on with your body and don’t be afraid to speak up and ask questions as this is a large investment and undertaking.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
Describe the protocols Jairo Garcia used in your cycles at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute and their degree of success.
Due to the fact that I have endometriosis and my having had surgery in 2015 to remove my left tube and ovary we knew there was a huge chance we would have to use donor eggs. However we tried to perform an egg retrieval using my remaining ovary but the endometriosis returned in the right ovary and in my pelvic cavity due to the stims so I had a subsequent surgery July 25th 2018 to remove my remaining right ovary and tube, and endometriosis from the pelvic cavity. However my uterus is fine and has no endometrisis with in. We meet with our doctor on September 17th 2018 to move forward with the process for donor egg transfer.
Describe your experience with Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
This clinic is highly knowledgeable in areas of infertility. The clinic is clean and the staff is organized and available to patients at all hours. Weakness is lack of time for extremely personalized care due to the number of patients
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
My insurance paid for much of the services. Donor eggs however cost $15,000.00 and the storage for one year cost $500.00.
Describe Jairo Garcia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
our doctor prefers a single embryo transfer for donor egg transfers.
2014 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
I know that Dr Garcia does truly care about me, but at times I have felt like he was rushing. This was moreso in the beginning. Now that we've been through an awful lot together, I feel that our questions are answered with more patience. He has always been excellent about responding to emails, although I have kept those to a minimum out of respect for his very busy schedule....Dr Garcia has been very open to listening to what our preferences have been all along. He offers suggestions about treatment or procedures and then let's the patient decide. He doesn't push us one way or another. I believe he doesn't push donor eggs as a first option, which I have heard from other clinics. I never get the feeling that he is concerned with his clinic's annual statistics. They take patients that have failed elsewhere. He has taken my thoughts and suggestions into account. I had 4 IUI (the most he will do before IVF). The last one was positive but ended in a miscarriage. Dr Garcia performed my d&c. We did another five IUI hoping for a positive. After those we moved to IVF but I had some false starts and my meds needed to be tweaked. Unfortunately that took some time and in the end the IVF failed. He had offered a laproscopy after IUI and prior to ivf but at that time I wasn't interested. After our failed IVF I was almost out of insurance money for treatments. So we did the laproscopy and Dr Garcia found. Oth Fallopian tubes blocked. He opened one up and got rid of lots of adhesions as well. We went back to IUI- and had success the second month. Unfortunately that also ended in a miscarriage and again Dr Garcia performed my d&c. I am currently waiting for the genetic analysis of the conception tissue in order to determine our next step.
2014 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
Understand the he does truly care, he has a HUGE amount of expertise and experience. Sometimes he is not he best communicator, go in with questions written so you can ask them all.
First we started stims (gonal f and menopur) immediately after a failed IUI. I didn't make many follicles which we were all surprised by (I respond well to Clomid). He stopped the cycle and I was to use ganerelix prior to my next period. Unfortunately it came early and I only got a few doses in, and that wasn't enough suppression. Next time we got enough doses of the ganerelix prior to my period starting and were able to make it to retrieval. I didn't produce many eggs. Next time we will add Clomid three times a day on cd2-5. It's frustrating to think that cheap old Clomid could have helped us in the last ivf cycle. It's so inexpensive and with two previous false starts I wish that we had done it in our full IVf cycle last year.
Good about returning phone calls same day. Would have been good to learn some tips about how to maximize insurance benefit. I used $12k of my $30k lifetime benefit on meds that would have cost me less than $6k out of pocket (it would have been smarter for me to pay oop for the meds and save the $12k of insurance coverage). The nurses were aware of this but no one warned me. They do a 2 hour mandatory IVF class which was informative. I am a nurse so some of it was redundant to me but I was glad my husband could go and learn about it. The nurses on a whole are excellent. On a few occasions I have felt like they were very rushed but usually they are great.
Describe your experience with Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
The morning scan system is painful. I usually arrive there at 6am in order to be first in line. By 645 there are usually at least 15 people in line. The clinic opens at 7. If you are one of the first 2-3 people, you can be in and out quickly. If not, it can take well over an hour to be seen- then you have to go for labs downstairs. If I arrive at 6 am and am first in line, I am usually only one hour late to work (supposed to be there at 7am). It's exhausting though. The insurance/financial folks have been truly excellent. Dr Garcia's office coordinator (Melony) has been helpful- she fbelped me with my FMLA forms and was able to schedule procedures quickly when I needed them. I would have liked for someone to speak with me about counseling. When I asked about it, I was first given the contact of someone no longer practicing. Then it was suggested I go to a free support group- but the doctor running it wasn't offering them any longer. I found some resources in my own instead.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
See previous comments. This is not an ideal system.
Using insurance through my employer. I have received 11 IUI, one full ivf, and two false start ivf for about $30k. We paid about $3k or so for some IVF meds due to the false starts.
We were comfortable with multiple embryo transfer. No real comment here.
Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. Garcia is very knowledgeable and I trust his experience and treatment. We've already established what is wrong with me and we are now working to increase my chances. I've been very happy with my experience so far even though I am not pregnant yet. His accent makes it difficult to understand but he takes the time to make sure I understand him...Probably the hardest advice any fertility patient could hear but to have patience and understanding that English is not his first language. Despite the language barrier, he is very knowledgeable and experienced...
Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
It's easy to get frustrated with a doctor due to fertility. He can only assist you in increasing your chances. He can't cure every fertility issue. Every body works differently and each doctor has to use their expertise to help you conceive. With that in mind, I can't blame my doctor for how my body works. Dr. Garcia is very knowledgeable and I trust his experience and treatment. We've already established what is wrong with me and we are now working to increase my chances. I've been very happy with my experience so far even though I am not pregnant yet. His accent makes it difficult to understand but he takes the time to make sure I understand him.
Dr. Garcia always answered my questions and was always attentive. He has a thick accent but still explained things well and repeated himself if I asked for clarification. He was very apologetic when I would get a negative pregnancy test.
I started seeing Dr. Garcia because my husband and I were having trouble trying to conceive after 6 months of trying on our own. I had a feeling it was because I had spotting for a week before my menses began. The first test I received was a biopsy to confirm that I had low progesterone. We tried a few cycles of Femara and timed intercourse. I took 2 Femara tablets from day 2-6 of my cycle. When that did not work, we moved on to three cycles of IUI with Femara. A couple of times I needed a booster shot to force ovulation. The IUIs were not successful and I decided to have an HSG test done. It showed that one tube had some resistance (probably due to a mucous plug) but was now open. The left tube had no dye going through. I then decided to get a laparoscopy done. They found a rare congenital defect hanging over my tube which was pinching it closed. The defect was removed and my tube was open after that. My tubes are now both open but I still have low progesterone. I am now on my 4th IUI. I just finished my Femara medication and will be going in for an ultrasound next week and then will try another IUI. If that does not work, we will try one more IUI before moving on to IVF.
The nursing staff has been absolutely incredible. Each one of them has been understanding, sweet, showed compassion, were patient, answered any questions I had and were very reassuring. They always called me back to make sure I knew what the next step was and made sure I was on track.
Describe your experience with Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
Probably the only weakness this clinic has is that they get super busy. If you work or do not live nearby, the appointments could be tricky to keep. The waiting room is always packed with patients waiting to get ultrasounds. If you're not there early enough, be prepared to wait over an hour.
My insurance pretty much covered everything. The only thing insurance did not cover was going in to receive my diagnosis. All the medications and procedures were covered and I paid $30 copays for most of it. My most expensive procedure so far was my laparoscopy that cost $1400 but I only was responsible for paying $30.
2010 - 2016
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Dr. Garcia has a very kind bedside manner. He listens to concerns, and considers them even if he ultimately disagrees with a change. He also was willing to try different protocols and adjust the protocol when not working well. In addition, he never discouraged us from trying with my own eggs.
2010 - 2016
European, South Asian
How was your experience with Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
Dr. Garcia is very experienced and willing to try out of the box protocols. He is willing to take on older patients and still allows them to try IVF with their own eggs (multiple times) without refusing to cycle. His bed manner is kind. He can be a little distant when dealing with very emotional times (for instance he seems interested in looking forward rather than backward at losses or failure), but in general is very kind and patient with his patients.
He comes with tons of knowledge and hands on experience. He generally wants you to succeed and will be flexible if something isn't working.
We tried once cycle with birth control suppression and then antagonist cycle- this resulted in no growth and canceled cycle. We then did antagonist cycles without prior literal phase suppression and also with antagonist literal phase suppression- both of these yielded eggs that were viable- the ones without suppression had more variability.
Most nursing staff were great and very compassionate. There was some miscommunication of information with one of my cycles (for my 2nd). The nurses are not in charge of cycles or changes, however, and if you want something changed, you need to talk to your doctor!
Describe your experience with Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
The financial staff is awesome and helps you navigate the horrible expense and insurance hoops. The nurses are great, but will not generally be flexible with your treatment and or blood draw dates. The morning clinic times work well for working ladies and the earlier you can get there the better. (There's usually a line before they open).
Clinics started at 7:00. There was usually a line waiting for the nurse to open the door by that time. Blood draws opened at 6:30a, but were a mix of patients so wait was sometimes long.
Primarily Covered under insurance - 20% copay and standard prescription drug coverage applied to meds (except PGS testing and biopsy- which was OOP).
IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
I never felt like anybody at the clinic knew who I was and after 4 cycles, I only saw the same doc [Dr Jairo Garcia] once...Dr. Garcia has a fairly thick accent, so that was an initial struggle...My gut was telling me that I could not take the 2+ hours of travel time and disorganization of the clinic [Johns Hopkins Fertility] any more. It was a PT job and often I was given misinformation (like, you are ovulating 2 days into your period, when in fact, I had the very common condition of having left over cysts from previous eggs. That necessitated multiple visits in a week and should not have been that confusing). So, go with your gut and don't push yourself to the bitter edge.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
How was your experience with Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
Dr. Garcia has a fairly thick accent, so that was an initial struggle. He told me that 85% of the women who could get pregnant on their own, with DOR, with his treatment, had success with getting pregnant. I asked him why the other docs had me jump straight to DE and he told me that they over-medicalize, which is pretty much what I wanted to hear. During the time I was waiting to see him (about 4 months, and we specifically avoided getting pregnant during that time period) and the subsequent 4 months of treatment, my AMH went from super low to negligible and my FSH went high (so pretty much full into peri-menopause--yes, it can happen that fast). He still thought the next step was IVF with my OE and genetic testing. However, bc my experience there had been so confusing and the travel time so intense, I went back to SG with the intent of doing OE IVF (which they wouldn't do with my #s). By that time, I was emotionally exhausted and we decided it was in the best interest of our family to cough up the money, and let go of the idea of me having my own genetic child.
Like any fertility story, some things work for some people. Who knows if I had kept on. My gut was telling me that I could not take the 2+ hours of travel time and disorganization of the clinic any more. It was a PT job and often I was given misinformation (like, you are ovulating 2 days into your period, when in fact, I had the very common condition of having left over cysts from previous eggs. That necessitated multiple visits in a week and should not have been that confusing). So, go with your gut and don't push yourself to the bitter edge.
I never felt like anybody at the clinic knew who I was and after 4 cycles, I only saw the same doc once.
They had me come in for an U/S on Day 2 of my cycle, if it looked good, they had me take Femara for 5 days, then check me again on Day 8 (I ovulated early), and then do the trigger shot, then sex within 24 hours. Only 2 of my 4 cycles even worked and they wouldn't let me do the trigger shot on that first cycle bc I had 4/5 eggs and they didn't want me to get pregnant with high order multiples. I didn't know any better and they didn't know me, but that was best I got during my time there and I feel it was a wasted cycle when I could have had a lucky outcome, esp considering my MC history.
I left utterly confused almost all the time. Like a doc or nurse would say "uh oh" and then that would scare me and make me feel uncomfortable, but I couldn't get any answers about why they said that. Impossible to get anybody on phone.
Describe your experience with Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
Disorganized. No phone support at that time. Given very high expectations. Always left confused, or became confused about treatment cycle after the fact.
Insurance paid their part of it. I had co-pays for blood draws, meds, appointments.
2012 - 2014
Even when we faced difficulties, he [Dr. Jairo Garcia] remained informative, but positive. What was also great about choosing Dr. Garcia was that I got to meet and receive care from other highly trained physicians as well; from sought after Hopkins doctors like Dr. Lisa Kolp. I attribute my successful cycle in large part to her, because she was willing to LISTEN and made a slight modification to my meds (added some thyroid medication to my borderline hypothyroid-ish results).
2012 - 2014
How was your experience with Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
He was great! Extremely smart, knowledgable, caring and reassuring. Even when we faced difficulties, he remained informative, but positive. What was also great about choosing Dr. Garcia was that I got to meet and receive care from other highly trained physicians as well; from sought after Hopkins doctors like Dr. Lisa Kolp. I attribute my successful cycle in large part to her, because she was willing to LISTEN and made a slight modification to my meds (added some thyroid medication to my borderline hypothyroid-ish results). She told us right before transfer during our last (6th) ivf cycle that our embrio was "perfect". That, is still the codename for our baby!!
Be patient!
From the moment we met Dr. Garcia, he treated us with the kindest, most caring, most professional care.
Dr. Garcia cared about how many shots needed to be taken, so he prescribed a protocol that allowed various medications to be combined into one shot. It was a much easier protocol than what I had with Dr. Timmreck. I took 2xMenopurs, 4xBravelles for four days, then reduced the Menopur, then added the Ganirelix, then used Ovidrel. After transfer, I used Endometrin. I have a beautiful two year old.
At Hopkins, every appointment is handled by a doctor. It is amazing and is very reassuring.
Describe your experience with Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
The best. Great doctors, caring staff, all the reasearch and knowledge in one place. With the exception of one Fellow (doctor in training), I was always treated with the greatest care. The office was not the prettiest/newest, but is that really important??
Insurance covered everything, but the copays and the medications.
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
I would recommend Dr. Garcia to anyone. He is very caring and patient, and quick to respond to emails. He is also very up to date with the literature. In addition, all of my procedures and ultrasounds are performed by physicians, never nurses or ultrasound technicians, and I like that...Dr. Garcia has a very warm bedside manner. He is very truthful about prognosis and expectations, but remains very caring. During part of my treatment I did not have insurance coverage and he worked with me to minimize expensive monitoring while still keeping things safe. He is also very quick to respond to emails.
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
All of the nurses are excellent. They also respond to phone calls within a couple hours, even on weekends.
Describe your experience with Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
The financial counselors are not great. I have two insurances and they keep billing the wrong one, which means I have to spend hours on the phone trying to correct this. I keep calling them to ask them to make sure to bill the correct insurance, but they never do. They say the billing is not their fault, although everyone else in the clinic tells me that they do the billing. I do not like wasting my time like this.
Ultrasounds start at 7 in the morning and there is usually a queue already. However, it moves pretty fast, and the medical assistants are very good at keeping things moving.
I paid cash for my first IVF cycle which was around $12,000 including meds. I have been insured for the subsequent cycles and had to pay 20% of costs.
Baltimore
He's [Dr. Jairo Garcia] not terribly sensitive and tends to swallow his words. I wouldn't recommend him for DOR patients - he's not the one to propose different treatment protocols, which is important for poor responders...He did give time for all questions, but sometimes got frustrated when I wanted to know details. The way Hopkins monitoring is set up, you feel like they're trying to herd a lot of cattle through the ultrasounds.
How was your experience with Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
He's not terribly sensitive and tends to swallow his words. I wouldn't recommend him for DOR patients - he's not the one to propose different treatment protocols, which is important for poor responders.
To manage your own care and stay on top of all the details.
High sim with ganirelix priming.
Cattle call! And waits are long.
I paid entirely out of pocket. The finance team tries to help, but...they're up against insurers who don't want to provide coverage. I think one cycle would be more than $10G including meds.
How was your experience with Jairo Garcia at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
Dr Garcia is very nice and caring but not a good communicator for me. I felt that he was not compassionate about my situation of recurrent loss. I switched from Dr Garcia to Dr Kolp at Johns Hopkins. Dr Garcia is very nice but didn't seem as understanding as I needed nor was he willing to think outside of the box to help us. Dr Kolp has a great bedside manner and very open to talking about new and less researched ideas even if she doesn't agree that that is the way to go.
Good for some people but has to communicate in a way that works for you; not good fit for me
Did not always feel that info elaborated as much as I would like. Often did not get response to emails
caring and compassionate