Family Beginnings

Doctor available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Miami
ResidencyIndiana U.
FellowshipMed Col of Georgia
8435 Clearvista Place
Indianapolis, IN 46256
Indianapolis South
5128 E. Stop 11 Road
Indianapolis, IN 46237
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend James Donahue to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Family Beginnings to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
The doctor [Dr. Donahue] met with me to discuss my fertility treatment plan. I am Catholic, so my faith plays a big role in how we proceed. He modified my treatment to match my religious desires while also maximizing our chances for a healthy pregnancy.... He gives his patients his personal cell number so that he is available for questions or concerns if they arise. He does not rush through a visit just to get someone else in the door.
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
Dr. Donahue was amazing. He gives his patients his personal cell number so that he is available for questions or concerns if they arise. He does not rush through a visit just to get someone else in the door. Very rarely do you get a voicemail with this practice - I have already talked to a human when I call. On the rare chance I have had to leave a VM they call you back right away. I feel like a person there and that the truly care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
Their office is not the typical fancy fertility clinic that you would expect. This keeps their prices lower and allows them to focus on the patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
The doctor met with me to discuss my fertility treatment plan. I am Catholic, so my faith plays a big role in how we proceed. He modified my treatment to match my religious desires while also maximizing our chances for a healthy pregnancy. He also told me all of our options. He didn't push us to go straight to IVF unless we wanted to. He let me be active in the decision making process while educating me along the way.
Describe the protocols James Donahue used in your cycles at Family Beginnings and their degree of success.
I am getting ready to start IVF. I experienced a miscarriage the month that we were supposed to start trying. I am waiting on his instructions on how we are going to update my protocol based upon blood work and results from my miscarriage.
Everyone takes their time with the patients. I never left with a questions. If I had a question that I thought of on the way home they were only a phone call away. They always answered all of my questions and then gave me explanations. No test was performed or anything done without me knowing the reason why it was necessary.
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
It is a very small clinic - I see this as a plus. The entire staff is available at all times. I have the dr cell phone number and can use it any time that I need it. After having several losses, it is nice to know that when I am going through this process they are there to not on physically support me to but be there emotionally.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Donahue at Family Beginnings.
The initial visit (without insurance was about $200). I am still going through the process of IVF so I can't comment fully on the price.
Describe James Donahue's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Family Beginnings.
I feel that the entire team has educated me on the risks of transferring one or two with or without testing. They have made it very clear on the risks and why some risks were worth taking and why some weren't. It is one thing to know the risk it is another to know why.
Indianapolis North
Dr. Donahue did my IUIs himself and was easily accessible if I had questions or concerns. I felt like he was very involved in my care.... Dr. Donahue was great! He took whatever time necessary to put my mind at ease regarding the process and was extremely focused on the end goal of getting pregnant. He was definitely more aggressive than a previous dr. in regards to risking multiples as long as I was okay with that.
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
To ask for him to do your IUIs. He indicated that nurses typically did them, but when I told him that was a concern of mine he was happy to do them...even on July 4th!
Dr. James was comfortable giving me higher doses of drugs to produce more follicles/eggs due to the fact that IUI had not been successful in the past. He felt that the likelihood of multiples was slim in my case (although he made it clear, they were possible) He also added progesterone to my treatment to help which my previous doctor had not done.
The nurses were very sweet, even when they had to come in on July 4th for an IUI. They never made me feel like a number and were just very sweet. I had an IUI that was more painful for whatever reason and the nurse (while remaining professional) was also very nurturing and compassionate. I felt like my mom was in the room with me she was so caring.
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
Strengths - extremely small and only one doctor so everyone is aware of your care and in the loop. I felt like I never had to explain what was going on to anyone! Weaknesses - more so for my husband - there is no deposit room so he had to make his deposit at home and transfer it which can be stressful (keeping it the right temperature, getting there in time, etc.)
Our IUIs with Dr. Donahue were a little cheaper I believe. Around $800 (not including medicine)
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
He [Dr. Donahue] is very open, always available for questions, compassionate and soothing. He doesn't hesitate to bring up other treatment options and make sure you understand everything. He will call you personally when something isn't going as planned to check up on you. He involves everyone that is present at each appointment. Very knowledgeable.... He listens to you wants/needs and is very respectful. He truly wants to help you be successful.
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
He is very open, always available for questions, compassionate and soothing. He doesn't hesitate to bring up other treatment options and make sure you understand everything. He will call you personally when something isn't going as planned to check up on you. He involves everyone that is present at each appointment. Very knowledgeable.
Come with questions and be ready for great answers!
Femara, gonal f 50, hcg, iui, progesterone. 1 mature follicle, neg pregnancy test Next increased gonal f to 75 2 mature follicles, chemical preg Next cycle was miscarriage 3months off. Currently increasing gonal f to 150.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Family Beginnings. (Assigned nurse: Gia)
Gia is great. She can run the whole office herself. Always available to talk, explains everything in great depth. Husband loves the way she explains the ultrasounds and whole process.
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
The South office isn't open on Fridays, making for longer travel if my cycle day requires a Friday appointment. My first experience at North office made me not want to go back (u/s tech?). I did go back and it was much better, didn't see the person who ruined my first experience. Sometimes a long wait at both offices, so having early appointment is best.
Reasonable compared to others I have seen. Mini IVF now offered and very reasonable.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
Dr. Donahue is a very nice, down to earth doctor. He explains everything to you, so it's easy to understand. Makes sure he answers any questions...is very open and will answer any and all questions. He explains risks, discusses options and has always been very friendly and available. He got us in immediately both times we experienced problems/miscarriage.
Other, Prefer not to answer
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
Dr. Donahue is very open and will answer any and all questions. He explains risks, discusses options and has always been very friendly and available. He got us in immediately both times we experienced problems/miscarriage.
Come with questions and expect answers! Be ready to explore options.
1. 5mg femara cd3-5. 50iu gonal f cd5-9, ovidrel, IUI, 200mg progesterone suppositories 2. 5mg femara cd3-5. 75iu gonal f cd5-9, ovidrel, IUI, 200mg progesterone suppositories 3. 5mg femara cd3-5. 150iu gonal f. cd5-7, 75 IU gonal f cd8-9, ovidrel, IUI, 200mg progesterone suppositories
Gia is just like Dr. Donahue. Very friendly, available, open to any questions, supportive
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
Strengths: communication to patient, availability, quickness of appointments, all employees are supportive, many treatment options available, including InvoCELL, response time to phone calls/voicemails Weakness: communication between north and south office
No insurance coverage for fertility services. About $2000/per IUI cycle with meds.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Donahue is thoughtful and takes time for patients. He makes himself available for questions and explains everything. He offers his email address and home phone number for emergencies, too. He is friendly when dealing with me and my husband.... We began small, with medicated cycles, then IUI. When I had pelvic pain the Dr. was very responsive and we discovered my endometriosis. Now we are doing a cycle with InvoCell.
Latino, Other
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
Write down questions prior to appointments and call if you think of anything later.
The doctor is very down to earth and takes time with patients.
Nurses were kind and took time. They emphasized that I should call them if I had any questions at all and not worry if I was bothering them.
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
Fair price, great doctors, great nurses. The staff is kind and compassionate. Patients should ask a lot of questions, just as general rule of practice with any doctor. They give you great protocol information and pricing sheets.