Available by cell phone
FellowshipU. Hospitals Cleveland
1000 Auburn Drive
Beachwood, OH 44122
216-285-5028
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend James Goldfarb to a friend?

5.7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University Hospitals Fertility Center to a friend?
Male Factor, Other
[Dr. Goldfarb has] made us feel hope again and has also been realistic...halfway through the first cycle, he wasn’t seeing the follicle growth he wanted, and recommended stopping part way through, then starting a new protocol the next month. He added a long Lupron protocol which worked really well. I got 9 eggs from that cycle!...Because of my age, he recommended a single embryo transfer. It’s also a safer route considering multiple pregnancies are high risk. We felt very comfortable with this and are glad we transferred a single.
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with James Goldfarb at University Hospitals Fertility Center?
He is wonderful. Dr. G is so thorough and caring, and explains everything very well. Amazing bedside manner and treats you like family. He has made this process easier for us, just because we feel so comfortable with him. We love him!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Goldfarb at University Hospitals Fertility Center?
I would say to understand that he is there to support you. Ultimately he is there to guide you in making the best choices, but he wants you to do what you’re most comfortable with. This is just one of the many things we love about him! When going over options, we called with questions and he called us back the same day, after hours, and spent 45 minutes explaining and talking with us. You don’t find that often! He’s made us feel hope again and has also been realistic. We know he has our best interests at heart. I would recommend him to anyone!
Describe the protocols James Goldfarb used in your cycles at University Hospitals Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I don’t remember complete specifics, but halfway through the first cycle, he wasn’t seeing the follicle growth he wanted, and recommended stopping part way through, then starting a new protocol the next month. He added a long Lupron protocol which worked really well. I got 9 eggs from that cycle!
Describe your experience with your nurse at University Hospitals Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Angela )
Angela is absolutely amazing, and a complete blessing to the office! I can’t say enough good things about her. She’s kind, understanding, knowledgeable and available when we need her. She always gets back to us if we have questions. More nurses should be like her! She has felt like family!
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
The clinic is wonderful. Everyone there is so caring and helpful. The only thing I would say at times is there can be some miscommunication between the front office and nurses/doctors. It has always been cleared up quickly though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Goldfarb at University Hospitals Fertility Center.
I believe the total cost for medication and retrieval was about $35,000. The retrieval was about $20,000 of that number
Describe James Goldfarb's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Beachwood

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with James Goldfarb at University Hospitals Fertility Center.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
I have had only good experiences with Dr. Goldfarb he seems to know his stuff, really care, etc. I ... I had 5 failed cycles of IUI where I could not actually do the procedure which was a deficiency in my cycle and body not with the clinic. The last one I had a good experience but did not get pregnant and was advised ... there is no point in continuing with IUIs and I also have endometriosis which just progresses.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
I have had only good experiences with Dr. Goldfarb he seems to know his stuff, really care, etc. I haven't seen him too many times but each time he was extremely thorough and compassionate. He has even suggested potential anecdotal items that might help.
Trust him he is great!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Goldfarb at University Hospitals Fertility Center?
I completely felt like a human, Dr Goldfarb and his entire clinic truly care and treat every patient as if they are the only one.
I had 5 failed cycles of IUI where I could not actually do the procedure which was a deficiency in my cycle and body not with the clinic. The last one I had a good experience but did not get pregnant and was advised by an outside advisor because my husbands sperm is ok that there is no point in continuing with IUIs and I also have endometriosis which just progresses. I then proceeded to my first IVF with my transfer tomorrow! The protocol was progressive follistm and then ganirelix and hcg. My estrogen got pretty high so they reduced the folistim and gave me a Lupron trigger instead. This produced a lot of eggs but my own theory is that is why only 1 embryo survived until day 6 out of 36 mature eggs.
All of the nursing staff is so caring, individualized, clear, on top of things and amazing! I could not be happier. They really help you through every step of the way.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Clinic is great I don't think I can complain about anything honestly..They are so communicative, get back to you always very fast, the nurses always consult with the doctor, they are super compassionate, as flexible as canbe, understanding, always available!
12k for ivf, $500 iui

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Goldfarb prescribed Clomid 50mg for my unexplained infertility, which I am currently taking. He did not prescribe any additional treatment for my recurrent pregnancy loss...After suffering 4 miscarriages and then a year of unexplained infertility after our most recent loss, Dr. Goldfarb was the first doctor to look us in the eyes and say, "You have been through a lot. I am so, so sorry."...is the third RE we've seen in two years, and his bedside manner is unparalleled. He took the time to explain to us his suggested course of treatment, and most importantly, he seemed to understand how what we have been through to this point has affected the kind of treatment (both medical and personal) we need now. With the ever-frustrating dual diagnosis of unexplained infertility and recurrent pregnancy loss, it can feel like we are muddling down a road of uncertainty, but Dr. Goldfarb charted a clear path forward for us while still offering us choices for our treatment.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
At our new patient consultation, Dr. Goldfarb made us feel secure and cared-for from the moment we walked into his office. He took 10 minutes to review our file before we met with him, and once we were sitting with him, his demeanor and calm candor assured us that we were in good hands. Dr. Goldfarb is the third RE we've seen in two years, and his bedside manner is unparalleled. He took the time to explain to us his suggested course of treatment, and most importantly, he seemed to understand how what we have been through to this point has affected the kind of treatment (both medical and personal) we need now. With the ever-frustrating dual diagnosis of unexplained infertility and recurrent pregnancy loss, it can feel like we are muddling down a road of uncertainty, but Dr. Goldfarb charted a clear path forward for us while still offering us choices for our treatment.
Write down your questions ahead of time, and be sure to ask them.
The nursing staff was helpful and friendly.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
The clinic was easy to access, clean, and efficient. The office staff initially got my appointment time mixed up, and one of the women at the front desk told me that I would have to schedule another appointment (I didn't), but the situation was quickly rectified.
I have not yet been billed for my appointment with Dr. Goldfarb. The out-of-pocket cost for one month of Clomid is about $17.
2 IUI, IVF, 5 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Goldfarb is an extremely experienced reproductive endocrinologist... He turned what was a very horrible situation for me, about himself and did nothing to validate my feelings or advocate for me...I found his approach to be unsympathetic, minimizing my experience...I found his approach to be unsympathetic, minimizing my experience....My protocol never changed under Dr. Goldfarb's care....All doses were the maximum that could be prescribed
2 IUI, IVF, 5 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Goldfarb is an extremely experienced reproductive endocrinologist. I felt at times early in my treatment with him that he would talk as though I knew and understood everything related to fertility treatment, which was not the case. I wasn't overly troubled by this initially because I was freezing my eggs for fertility preservation and not actively trying to conceive. I'm also not afraid to speak up for myself so I was able to ask questions if need be. Then, about 5 years after my initial experience with him, there was a freezer malfunction in the lab where my eggs were stored and all of my eggs were destroyed. Following said disaster my interactions with Dr. Goldfarb changed. Given the sensitive nature of the fertility process, my assumption and expectation was that the treating physician would be sensitive and supportive. Then after the freezer malfunction, which made an already sensitive process exponentially more sensitive and emotional, I naively thought my doctor would bend over backwards for me, making sure to handle my case with kid gloves. Unfortunately, this did not happen. I felt I was offered empty apologies, conflicting information and to make matters worse, the doctor regularly told me stories about himself or his family members in an attempt to make me feel better. Clearly his attempts went terribly wrong. To give you an example, after losing my eggs I was told there was a waitlist to start another round of egg freezing. This didn't sit well with me because I felt I would lose more time having to wait. When I expressed my frustration to Dr. Goldfarb he said he completely understood and then proceeded to tell me he had been scheduled for a procedure once that had to be cancelled unexpectedly. This example was not helpful to me. He turned what was a very horrible situation for me, about himself and did nothing to validate my feelings or advocate for me. Furthermore, this happened on more than one occasion. I found his approach to be unsympathetic, minimizing my experience.
Know what you need from your physician and be a strong advocate for yourself.
My answer varies a bit depending on the situation. When I first met Dr. Goldfarb it seemed he saw me as a human. I initially underwent two rounds of egg freezing for fertility preservation. I saw him a few years later to attempt IUI, but I was interacting with the nurses more than the doctor. I began to feel more like a number because the team was rather unorganized and didn't take the time to prepare or review my chart prior to meeting with me and as a result this led to a number of issues. Issues such as making assumptions about me that were not true, confusion about what treatments and procedures I was to have, or had already had, and many miscommunications as well as no communication.
My protocol never changed under Dr. Goldfarb's care. I was on Follistim, Menopur and Ganirelix, with the hcg trigger. All doses were the maximum that could be prescribed. Of note, I have not been diagnosed with fertility issues thus far. I have undergone fertility preservation and two non-medicated iui's. When I presented to re-do my egg freezing after the disaster, my protocol did not change despite being 5 years older. It's my understanding that this group of physicians prefers to keep the protocol the same if the patient has responded well previously.
Nurses in this practice change like the weather. They are not always organized and often communicated differing information. I ended up requesting that I be assigned a primary nurse, which worked for a little while. This is challenging because most of the nurses are not there every day so you're bound to see a few nurses. You also have to stay on top of them because as I mentioned, the primary nurse assignment worked for a bit, but then it reverted to the multiple different nurses again. I often wonder if the caseload is not manageable for the staff they have and perhaps that is why there is disorganization and a lack of, or poor communication. Given these items, I felt more like a number as the nurses often struggled to remember things about me or my cycle between appointments.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
On paper, this clinic is highly reputable. The facility is clean. They struggle with organization, and communication is not their strong suit consistently. I would argue communication with patients and communication amongst the medical team is lacking. I also would've thought that in the aftermath of the freezer malfunction they would try to quickly improve their service delivery from all angles, but this hasn't happened. Again, I strongly encourage you to be an advocate for yourself from day one and keep good notes.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University Hospitals Fertility Center.
This clinic has monitoring hours, but the nurse will ask you what time you want to come in. Even though you select a time, they still take you first come first serve. It is my understanding that they are starting to give actual appointments now. During one of my recent cycles I arrived for monitoring on two occasions and was told I didn't have an appointment. The ultrasound tech, Carmella is fantastic and I've no trouble with the phlebotomist either.
The medications were expensive. If I remember correctly, around $5,000 or so. I do have a fertility benefit under my insurance although it is limited. Nevertheless it has been an expensive endeavor. Sorry I don't have more specifics on cost. Storage fees were $400/yr.
Beachwood

Very good credentials and history of infertility treatments. However, I barely saw my RE through both cycles and I did not communicate with him a lot. He [Dr. Goldfarb] did not go over any thoughts or suggestions for the next cycle. It seemed like he thought our success would be easy with IVF dealing with male factor, but we have not been able to produce strong embryos. The 2nd cycle suggestion was to create more eggs than the first and we ended up getting way less the 2nd time.
Very good credentials and history of infertility treatments. However, I barely saw my RE through both cycles and I did not communicate with him a lot. He did not go over any thoughts or suggestions for the next cycle. It seemed like he thought our success would be easy with IVF dealing with male factor, but we have not been able to produce strong embryos. The 2nd cycle suggestion was to create more eggs than the first and we ended up getting way less the 2nd time. He still wanted to proceed and I was uneasy about it. Of course the 2nd cycle as a fail and only 1 embryo made it. We are very disappointed. No explanation whatsoever from the clinic.
Make him more involved in your treatment.
In the beginning I felt like a human and my tests came out with great results so everyone was optimistic. Then when I had the 2nd retrieval, I barely saw my RE and after the failed transfer, I haven’t heard from him since.
The first was long Lupron with Follistim. Lupron seemed to have made my ovaries not produce so the Follistim dosage kept increasing and my estrogen level was sky high. It produced around 16 eggs. 12 mature. The 2nd cycle was Menopur, Follistim and Ganirelix to try to get more eggs due to my high AMH than the first try. Since they kept my Follistim dosage low at 175 IU and 175 menopur, I only yielded 10 eggs. 1 was transferred and the rest stopped growing. It seemed my estrogen level was more important than number of eggs.
Helpful nursing staff. No complaints.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
The clinic has a terrible billing system. The clinic does not encourage PGS testing on embryos. They also do not grade embryos the way you may see online through other clinics with an “ABC” rating. They do not give you details of the embryo quality.
IVF costs $9800 out of pocket for the first cycle. Drugs and follicle monitoring are not included.
No preference. Max 2 depending on what the embryos looked like.
Beachwood

Dr. Goldfarb is very thorough when discussing treatments. He has a gentle demeanor and is very kind and caring. He doesn’t hesitate to get on the phone and discuss the situation and go over all of the options. I could tell that he really loves his job and enjoys meeting new patients and getting to know them!
I don’t really have any advice. I feel like they cover everything very well during your first couple of visits.
The whole staff is very friendly.
I had already had 3 unsuccessful IUIs with another dr. in another state and 10 years of trying to conceive. Dr. Goldfarb agreed that we should jump right to IVF. I started the injections ganarelix, follistem, HCG. I had 1 follicle that was way too big for IVF, so we opted for an IUI. Dr. Goldfarb put me on Lupron right away just in case our IUI didn’t work so we could jump right back the next month. Our IUI WAS unsuccessful, so I continued Lupron and added follistem and menopur. We are in the process of seeing if this protocol will work.
Every nurse that I’ve worked with has been very knowledgeable. I’ve had a few conversations that were rough for me, but they were kind and offered support.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Everyone is very sweet in the office. The waiting room is comfortable. The office is located in the University Hospital in Beachwood and is very nice. When entering the hospital, I’m always greeted by the valet staff.
I am self pay. Each ultrasound and blood draw is $200. The retrieval and transfer is $10,000. My first round of meds was $1500 and my second round was $1260.
We are not to this point yet.

IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Goldfarb has always been very caring and compassionate towards our individual situation. He met with us in his office rather than an exam room and spoke to us face to face. He explained everything in detail and answered every question we had with no feeling of being rushed. He called to check in on me several times and never made me feel like a bother with all of my questions...Each visit I felt like a priority. It was never an "ok we have 15 minutes scheduled so let's get going". He made sure I was comfortable with every procedure and decision before moving forward. I felt like I was a part of every part of the process, not just an observer. He has the best bedside manner.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Ask a lot of questions and trust him. He's one of the best in the business and he's been doing this for 35 years!
We had to use n egg donor and fortunately we already knew who we were using. He set us up with his secretary nurse who scheduled everything perfectly for us. We had another Dr perform the embryo transfer who was also wonderful. We had great phone and email communication during the entire process. Our donor had the eggs retrieved and they called each day to tell us how they were progressing. When we had the transfer the Dr was very thorough in explaining what to expect and answered all questions.
The nurses also answer every question and return caslls in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
The weaknesses are that sometimes there is a wait for your appointment or they may be running behind a bit, however that is because they take their time with their patients and I appreciate that. They are caring and informative. They even have me options for financing through ARC. They make you feel important and like you matter to them.
It was around $18,000.00. We financed through ARC
He recommended singhle transfer for less risk, however we chose to transfer multiple.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr Goldfarb was always very positive despite our negative outcomes. After multiple miscarriages and failed cycles, my thyroid was found to be deficient. We would need to invest in a third round of IVF to see if that has caused our unexplained infertility...we feel like he overlooked my thyroid...My amh is high so I over responded and the cycle was cancelled. Then, I did two cycles with the same protocol of Follistim, hcg, and ganirelix. I overstimulated the first cycle and did a freeze all. The second cycle I only had 8 eggs compared to 20 in the first cycle.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He's been helpful to some friends, but we feel like he overlooked my thyroid.
Dr Goldfarb personally called me after my miscarriages and also remembered little things that we discussed.
Due to my age, I started a lupron cycle. My amh is high so I over responded and the cycle was cancelled. Then, I did two cycles with the same protocol of Follistim, hcg, and ganirelix. I overstimulated the first cycle and did a freeze all. The second cycle I only had 8 eggs compared to 20 in the first cycle. My cycles were 8 months apart.
The nursing staff was generally helpful and supportive. One nurse. Ashley, tended to be distressing. She would answer questions with i don't know not I'll check with the doctor and let you know. I had a horrible experience with the sonogram tech, Carmela. She tols me my baby had no heartbeat. I miscarried but it was incomplete. When I returned for a saline sonogram with no embryos left, she asked if I was there to prepare for an embryo transfer. There should have been a flag on my file or something to prevent sitting in the same room and getting sucker punched emotionally.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
At this point, they've had a cyro tank malfunction and lost everything. I don't think I would recommend anyone to them. The rotation of doctors to a very pushy, uncaring doctor besides Dr Goldfarb also made the process stressful
I have to drive 2 hours to Beachwood. I was never told that monitoring wax from 7 to 10 am. They just made me 8 or 8:30 appointments and I was called on a first come first served basis. Some mornings there was little wait, other mornings it would be an hour.
We had two grants for IVF. One wax through university hospitals. We still spent $13,000 for meds, IUI's, and transfers.
My doctor let us transfer two embryos if we wanted to.
Beachwood

He [Dr. James Goldfarb] is very knowledgeable and I could tell from the very 1st appointment with him. My husband and myself felt very comfortable and trusted that he had our best interest at heart. He was not pushy and wanted to be more conservative 1st.... I am almost 38 years old and never been pregnant so if the 3rd IUI does not work he recommends laparoscopic surgery to check for scar tissue. I have had one ovary removed and several cysts rupture since I was a young teenager. He would like to do the surgery before moving on to IVF, with hopes that I could possibly become pregnant on my own.
I was referred to see Dr.Goldfarb by a close friend who highly recommended him. He is very knowledgeable and I could tell from the very 1st appointment with him. My husband and myself felt very comfortable and trusted that he had our best interest at heart. He was not pushy and wanted to be more conservative 1st. I was happy with that because financially we can not afford IVF and my insurance does not cover any fertility treatment. I am very hopeful that we will have success, I have had 2 IUI's that have not been successful. I am almost 38 years old and never been pregnant so if the 3rd IUI does not work he recommends laparoscopic surgery to check for scar tissue. I have had one ovary removed and several cysts rupture since I was a young teenager. He would like to do the surgery before moving on to IVF, with hopes that I could possibly become pregnant on my own. My time is limited so I pray God blesses us with out miracle baby soon.
He is very knowledgeable and compassionate.
I was referred to Dr.Goldfarb by a close friend and was told he was the best! He was very compassionate and listened to our concerns, I feel like he is very knowledgeable and he wants to be conservative 1st and then move on to more aggressive treatments. I am glad he is not pushing us to do IVF right away and is trying more affordable avenues. Although i am almost 38 years old and dont have much more time to concieve and have a successful pregnancy. I am very hopeful under his care. I have never been pregnant and want a child of my own, I'm trusting that his expertise will assist in that to one-day soon happening. I can't afford IVF so hoping that my 3rd which is my last IUI he said I can have is successful. If not he recommended having laparoscopic surgery to check for scar tissue and hopefully clear the pathway for a natural pregnancy to occur. I feel if I were just a number or dollar amount to him he would just aim right for the expensive treatment from the start.
3 IUI's with Clomid or letrozole. Laparoscopic surgery to check for and remove scar tissue. IVF final
The nurses and the ultrasound technician were very compassionate and willing to help answer any questions they could. Carmella the ultrasound technician is wonderful.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
I feel that this facility is a great place for woman, families, and couple to come to for assistance. I don't feel that they judge or are pushy about treatment and your personal situation.
The initial consultation appointment was about $300. IUI $420 each procedure

2014 - 2017
Dr. Goldfarb is caring and helpful. He genuinely cares to see each of his patients succeed in their goals. He devotes his life to his work and it shows...he cared and when we saw him with after a negative cycle, he seemed just as disappointed as us. he also let us be incharge of our treatment. he helped us decide which route to go and gave us the information to make a decision with him...So we cancelled IUI #4 and my husband and I decided to stop IUIs. at Dr Goldfarbs recommendation, we are doing every other cycle a medicated cycle (with 7.5mg letrozole) and natural cycles between.
2014 - 2017
Native American, Other
Dr. Goldfarb is caring and helpful. He genuinely cares to see each of his patients succeed in their goals. He devotes his life to his work and it shows. One time I called to speak with him after a failed cycle and wanting to talk about which direction to go next and he had actually, FINALLY, taken time to spend with his family. He is an amazing doctor.
be honest with him. let him know if you are comfortable or not comfortable with something he suggests. Dr Goldfarb wants you to be in control of your treatment, so take control.
Our first IUI we used 5mg of letrozole and 250 Ovidrel. I had 2 nice big follicles. we went ahead and did IUI. It failed. Our second cycle, we kept the same protocol. Went in for my day 12 monitoring appointment and realized I had already ovulated. So the cycle was cancelled. The third attempt, we kept the same protocol but I came in on day 9 for monitoring. I had one follicle. We went ahead with our second IUI. It failed. Our fourth cycle, we kept the same exact protocol. I had one follicle on day 9, we triggered and went ahead with IUI #3 on day 11. It failed. Our fifth cycle, Dr Goldfarb discussed IVF with us. Not being able to afford it, we decided - with Dr Goldfarb - to continue with IUI until we can afford IVF. He suggested we up the letrozole to create more follicles. So I took 7.5mg and went in for my day 9 monitoring. Dr Goldfarb was out of the office and the doc on call decided to trigger the next day and IUI #4 36 hours after. I had ovulated on my own before trigger was due. So we cancelled IUI #4 and my husband and I decided to stop IUIs. at Dr Goldfarbs recommendation, we are doing every other cycle a medicated cycle (with 7.5mg letrozole) and natural cycles between.
One of the nurses, that I know of, is also battling infertility. She can relate to us patients on a personal level that some of the other nurses may not be able to. I really enjoy encountering her. The rest of the staff is friendly and caring as well.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
I love that the clinic doesn't have ultrasounds for pregnancy IN the office. They take you across the hall to the ultrasound lab. I think their billing is a little off and their pricing is extreme, but I do love the staff so i can put all that aside.
They were exuberant. I had lost my insurance and had to pay for bloodwork out of pocket for my monitoring. They have self pay packaging, but it doesn't include the LH and that alone was almost $300. So I opted not to have it done. And we missed my surge. However, Dr. Goldfarb was receptive of this and asked me to email him a statement of why I was opting not to have the LH drawn. He said he was taking my email along with others to the board to get it into package pricing.

2012
5 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. Goldfarb] was honest with me about how low my chances were of getting pregnant with IVF with my own eggs and, though he said it was totally up to me and he would absolutely follow my wishes, he worried I would be throwing money away for really abysmal chances of having a baby...He also made himself 100% available, though I didn't realize it at first as his nurses don't make that clear. At one point I told a nurse who was resistant that I needed to talk to him and she needed to make that happen. Finally, she agreed to let him know. He contacted me immediately.
2012
5 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
As I said earlier, he was honest with me about likely outcomes but willing to do whatever I chose. I feel so fortunate that he told me the truth about my chances with IVF using my own eggs so we could decide ourselves whether it made sense financially. We did a round of IVF drugs with abysmal results and, ultimately, chose to go with a donor. I have friends who went in significant debt only to end up with no child through IVF. it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to hear and he couldn't have handled it better. There was never a bit of pressure to choose a donor egg cycle over trying another cycle with my own eggs. If I'd wanted to proceed with my own eggs, he was willing as long as I understood the probability that we would not end up pregnant. He also made himself 100% available, though I didn't realize it at first as his nurses don't make that clear. At one point I told a nurse who was resistant that I needed to talk to him and she needed to make that happen. Finally, she agreed to let him know. He contacted me immediately. He told me that I could contact him anytime, including by email him. I have incredible respect for him and an unspeakable. I am most grateful for him helping me have this amazing, beautiful child who couldn't be more mine, but also relieved that he handled the message so well that we moved on to using a donor egg rather than emptying our savings trying to use my own eggs in IVF.
Ask for amh and fsh to be tested immediately if you are 36 or above. Tell them you don't want to wait until it's time for IVF because clomid and IUI didn't work. Also, insist with the nurses that you speak to him. In fact, during your first appointment ask how you can reach him if the nurses won't let you talk directly to him about your concerns. Don't get me wrong, the nurses are wonderful in many ways. Also, Dr. Rossi is also wonderful. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to see her instead. They are both wonderful. I give them both credit for this amazing three year old sleeping on my lap.
He had incredible bedside manner. He was honest with me about how low my chances were of getting pregnant with IVF with my own eggs and, though he said it was totally up to me and he would absolutely follow my wishes, he worried I would be throwing money away for really abysmal chances of having a baby. This was so difficult to hear, but I now have the most wonderful, beautiful baby who was undoubtedly meant to be my child through donor eggs and I am so grateful he was honest and we didn't spend our savings plus with own egg ivf to end up doing a donor egg ivf. I also saw Brooke Rossi who performed my surgery and she was just as wonderful.
Don't remember but he was very detailed and willing to give us as much time as we needed to talk through things.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University Hospitals Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Peggy)
There were a number of amazing nurses there. I felt like the donor coordinator nurse could have been a little more organized and a little more on top of our cycle. At the same time, things worked better than I could have ever imagined because I have the most amazing daughter thanks everyone at the office.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Feels a bit like an assembly line, but I've gathered that is how fertility clinics generally feel. Never once saw a pregnant woman in any place at the building and that was emotionally a huge relief. Wish the nurses didn't change with every single appointment until we started the IVF process. Once we started IVF we got consistency and they actually knew something about us.
I believe the ivf cycle was around $13K. I don't remember the total but I think it ended up being $23,000 with donor fee, agency fee for donor, and medications for me and for donor. I think the medications were around $2500, I just can't remember if our total was $23,000 with or without the medications.

2017 - 2019
IUI, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I started with clomid, first dose at 50 mgs, unmonitored. I suffered from a short LP, so cycle unsuccessful. Cycles 2 and 3 were with Clomid 100mg, and progesterone from 3 dpo. Also unsuccessful...I am 36, my father is terminally ill and I need to be aggressive and get this done. He is slow to understand the urgency...lacks aggressive plans when age is primary concern coupled with ovarian reserve issues. I felt as if I needed to prompt more aggressive treatment. On several occasions I followed up with concerns regarding irregular bleeding and early recruitment. It took 3 cycles to get him to understand that this was an issue.
2017 - 2019
European, Other
IUI, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Goldfarb lacks aggressive plans when age is primary concern coupled with ovarian reserve issues. I felt as if I needed to prompt more aggressive treatment. On several occasions I followed up with concerns regarding irregular bleeding and early recruitment. It took 3 cycles to get him to understand that this was an issue.
It may take a while to get anywhere in this office.
I started with clomid, first dose at 50 mgs, unmonitored. I suffered from a short LP, so cycle unsuccessful. Cycles 2 and 3 were with Clomid 100mg, and progesterone from 3 dpo. Also unsuccessful. I took a break and did a cycle with Femara, 2.5 mg. monitored, but unsuccessful. The Femara completely screwed up my cycle and the proceeding 3 cycles had irregular bleeding and early recruitment (Ovulation on CD 12, 9 and 6 respectively). Dr. Goldfarb sisnt seem alarmed. I am 36, my father is terminally ill and I need to be aggressive and get this done. He is slow to understand the urgency.
Nursing staff became argumentative on several occasions. Treated like a number and some of them had attitudes when I had questions.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Well, they are a bit more attentive after the loss of 4000 embryos and eggs with freezer malfunction. However, I feel like you get the run around and they resent patients who have done their homework.
My insurance has covered everything done thus far.
Beachwood

He [Dr. Goldfarb] was very thorough with me and gave me honest opinions rather than the opinions that would benefit him receiving more money.... I didn’t physically see him much but we spoke on the phone quite often. He always took his time to answer all my questions and was always very thorough. There were times I’d be on the phone with him discussing all my options and superstitions for 45 minutes. He was ALWAYS patient with me.
Dr Goldfarb was amazing. I didn’t physically see him much but we spoke on the phone quite often. He always took his time to answer all my questions and was always very thorough. There were times I’d be on the phone with him discussing all my options and superstitions for 45 minutes. He was ALWAYS patient with me.
Ask as many questions as you need to to feel comfortable.
He was very thorough with me and gave me honest opinions rather than the opinions that would benefit him receiving more money.
He had me do 6 rounds of clomid before I moved on to IUI. He never tried to push me to do anything I wasn’t comfortable with. Once I was ready, we moved on to IUI. I did 6 total rounds of that. First, 3 rounds of clomid and the last 3 rounds were with follistim.
The woman who drew my blood in Westlake was terrible and clueless. One nurse was short with me and seemed annoyed when I asked any questions. And one ultrasound tech wasn’t very friendly either. Other than that they were all okay.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Bedside manner could be improved. They are all however very efficient and quick getting you in and out. I rarely had to wait long at all. Appointment times were set for early in the morning and I would typically be in and out in 20 minutes or less for all my monitoring appointments.
The IUI procedure was $420 (including sperm wash). The ultrasounds and bloodwork I don’t remember how much they were and the medicine carried from $15 to $325 a month.
Beachwood

Doctor Goldfarb has called me personally one several occasions. He congratulated me on pregnancy, consoled during miscarriages and called me with testing results. Additionally he has consulted with us twice in person and encourages us to contact him with any concerns on his line.... We have done an IVF cycle with egg retrieval and frozen embryo transfer. He also has done saline ultrasounds to be sure my uterus is clear and ok for implantation. He has discussed change in treatment for me following a second miscarriage.
The doctor is extremely knowledgeable a d has up to date knowledge on effective treatments. The doctor is thorough in his work and willing to discuss any part of the treatment. We feel confident with this doctor that we will achieve a pregnancy and take home a baby!
Just talk with him and trust his expertise.
The nursing staff is prompt, available, kind and knowledgeable. We love the nurses and meet with the same nurse as long as she is in.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
The clinic is well run and efficient. We felt guided in our fertility journey here. The staff is knowledable and follows up with any and all questions we have had. We have had a great experience Highly recommended.
The IVF cost was about 12000 with additional cost of medication. If we do not have a baby at the end of this we may qualify for a grant for a second cycle for free.
Because of my uterine anomaly I am a candidate for only a single embryo transfer.
Beachwood

He [Dr. James Goldfarb] is a genuine man that speaks to your level. His level of knowledge and experience is beyond measure. Available at any time to speak, from initial consultation up until pregnancy available when I needed him...he sat down and made a plan and let us know he had confidence that we would get pregnant and he would do whatever it took. Gave us the facts of our situation. Had empathy.
He is a genuine man that speaks to your level. His level of knowledge and experience is beyond measure. Available at any time to speak, from initial consultation up until pregnancy available when I needed him
No advice
Due to overall knowledge and experience, he sat down and made a plan and let us know he had confidence that we would get pregnant and he would do whatever it took. Gave us the facts of our situation. Had empathy.
Diagnosed with unexplained infertility he recommended iui with clomid for 3 rounds and if that didn't work move to ivf. He did offer iui with injectable meds but he opted out because we were not okay with selective reduction. For egg retrieval I stimulated well but two eggs were always larger than the others so for 2 cycles we did not retrieve due to the cost and only getting 3 eggs. Finally the 3rd time we did retrieval and got 12. We transferred 2 3 day fresh due to higher chance of conceiving.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University Hospitals Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Ashley and Dawn)
Demonstrated compassion, always called back same day, very well educated, if she didn't know the answer Dr. Goldfarb would call me with it.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Embryology department needs to do better at letting patient know and explaining quality of eggs< the only weakness
Very open window, made it easy for me since we live 2 hours away
To date $27,000

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
Dr. Goldfarb did not rush us through our appointment and answered every question. When I had my chemicals he called me personally to talk about tests we should have done to see if we were missing anything and then gave educated us on continuing iui or pursuing ivf. ... I did clomid and letrozole together for 3 cycles alone then when I had iui I used them plus a trigger shot. We monitored hormones and follicles.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
When we experienced our chemicals Dr. Goldfarb and our nurse called us individually and cried with us. Dr. Goldfarb is a very patient man who will answer any and all question and explains his plan of treatment deeply and throughly.
Don’t be afraid to ask him to go over the plan because he is more then willing to go over the parts that were not clear.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University Hospitals Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Angie)
The nursing staff cares about you and makes sure they answer anything you forget to ask the doctor. They make calls for insurance, best pharmacy, etc
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
I don’t have complaints about the clinic. They are friendly and through with their plans. The clinic is available and take time out of their day to meet as a group and discuss the plans set forth for their patients.
Our insurance covered 80% so I cannot complain cost.
He prefers single embryo transfer if your under 30. Is willing to look into multiple.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. James Goldfarb] is an amazing and very knowledgeable. He went over the entire process very thoroughly and took the time to answer all of our questions. He made us feel like he was fully invested in helping us start a family .... He suggested single embryo transfer.... Make sure to bring all your records. Have a list of questions you can get over whelmed during the appointment and forget. Bring a notebook and pen to take any notes.
European, Black or African-American
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
He is an amazing and very knowledgeable. He went over the entire process very thoroughly and took the time to answer all of our questions. He made us feel like he was fully invested in helping us start a family .
The office was very friendly and polite.
We will be doing ivf. Harvesting the eggs,fertilization and implantation.
They were wondeful we went over be medications I’ll be on she showed us how to use them and then made a calander of what the process will look like
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
It was very nice. Everything wa clearly marked and it was beg easy to find the office we were looking for. The parking lot is designed very efficient and parking was really easy. I can’t think if a thing I would consider a weakness.
The office visit wasn’t covered by insurance so we paid for the visits out of Pockect
He suggested single embryo transfer.
Beachwood

Dr. Goldfarb was personable and even called me to give results and discuss steps...was always honest and kind...He made sure I knew everything up front. Dr. Goldfarb would respond to emails right away when I had questions. I loved how he seemed to care so much for me and my family and how he remembered us and our names, children's names...he is a very smart man!
Dr. Goldfarb was always honest and kind. He even called me himself to provide results and discuss treatment. He made sure I knew everything up front. Dr. Goldfarb would respond to emails right away when I had questions. I loved how he seemed to care so much for me and my family and how he remembered us and our names, children's names.
Just trust him to do what is best, he is a very smart man!
Dr. Goldfarb was personable and even called me to give results and discuss steps in car himself. His staff were always kind and caring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University Hospitals Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
I loved Katie. She was so loving and caring. I felt like she was family.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Well everything with the clinic was great until a week ago when I found out that my embryos were lost in a freezer malfunction. I was devastated at the loss of my chance to use those embryos to have another baby. I am very disappointed in the hospital for allowing such a major malfunction.
Beachwood

Dr. Goldfarb was wonderful! He was always so caring and listened to everything my husband and I had to say. We cannot thank him enough for finally understanding what we were going through emotionally and physically. ... Dr. Goldfarb and his nurse [University Hospitals Fertility Center] gave me their email so I could be in contact quickly if I needed. once we were ready to part was Dr. Goldfarb called me personally. ... They were very adaptive to any suggestions [eSET] we had and they worked with us to pick the right number and decide what was best for us.
This office was wonderful! When I called the nurses they got back to me right away. Dr. Goldfarb and his nurse gave me their email so I could be in contact quickly if I needed. once we were ready to part was Dr. Goldfarb called me personally.
Ask any question! He is very happy to answer anything you may come up with.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University Hospitals Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
Ashley was wonderful! She would answer any questions I had and she helped me through a lot of medication problems with the insurance company when they were trying to get some things covered.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Everything about this clinic was amazing. The first clinic we saw was terrible and we did not have very good hopes going into this office. Within seconds of walking through the doors we were finally eager to start the process and become patients with them.
They were very adaptive to any suggestions we had and they worked with us to pick the right number and decide what was best for us.

2012 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Goldfarb [at University Hospitals Fertility Center] is a pioneer in this and going into our cycles I fully trusted his opinions and he always explained the steps of action to me. Although, he is a busy doctor, he was always available for even a 5 minute chat if need be. Our appt. very frequent, sometimes as many as 3 times a week, and I felt that even if I saw him once that week, he knew the status of the cycle and if there were any concerns.
2012 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Goldfarb is a pioneer in this and going into our cycles I fully trusted his opinions and he always explained the steps of action to me. Although, he is a busy doctor, he was always available for even a 5 minute chat if need be. Our appt. very frequent, sometimes as many as 3 times a week, and I felt that even if I saw him once that week, he knew the status of the cycle and if there were any concerns.
To trust Dr. Goldfarb fully. Every piece of advice he gave us, I feel, was to our benefit.
As busy as Dr. Goldfarb is, he was always available and always knew the status of my cycle. Made me feel like he cares that we receive the wanted end results
Fortunately for us, all of our procedures were covered by insurance.

2010 - 2013
[Dr. James Goldfarb] is a wonderful physician. He is patient, kind, understanding and compassionate....I was advised to go directly to IVF because of my situation. I had had multiple abdominal surgeries that left me unable to conceive naturally. He adjusted my protocol as needed.
2010 - 2013
Dr. Goldfarb is a wonderful physician. He is patient, kind, understanding and compassionate.
You will feel very cared for. Don't be scared to ask questions.
He is kind, patient and very caring
They were all very caring.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
the office was well staffed. Onething that was hard was that on any given day I might see a different physician. I did get to inow the other doctors and felt comfortable with them as well.
About $15-20,000 per fresh cycle,$10,000 for frozen. Some wascovered y insurance.
2012 - 2013
Dr. Goldfarb is very caring and does not rush through your appointment. He takes time to talk to you and counsel you, not just push protocol....He is a little bit more conservative with drug protocols, so if you feel like you want to be more aggressive, speak out. But overall, trust his expertise.
2012 - 2013
Dr. Goldfarb is a pioneer in the area of infertility treatment. He helped us have our miracle baby.
It was run very efficiently
Beachwood
Dr. Goldfarb took over an hour to meet with both my husband and myself at the start of our infertility journey. He suggested I do the routine bloodworm and get an HSG to make sure my tubes and levels were ok.... We did 3 cycles with clomid and intercourse, 3 cycles using clomid with IUI and three cycles using injectables with IUI. We moved on to another clinic to do the IVF cycles.
I only went to Goldfarb for IUI's. I started on clomid with intercourse (3 times), then I moved to climid with IUI (3 times), and then I moved onto injectables with IUI (2-3 times). Overall, Goldfarb answered any questions I had and actually called me on a Saturday to discuss Dailed IVF cycles with other clinics and offered his advice and suggestions even though he knew I was not at his clinic anymore. I also used their clinic for outside monitoring and they were always very nice.
Dr. Goldfarb is a very nice and compassionate person. I went to him before hearing about the news of the broken lab equipment and understand that the clinic is going through many different changes to update their systems. I just don't know if I would trust the lab yet due to what happened.
Dr. Goldfarb took over an hour to meet with both my husband and myself at the start of our infertility journey. He suggested I do the routine bloodworm and get an HSG to make sure my tubes and levels were ok. The nursing staff was always prompt with my results and ordered my medications without any issues. There were times that I had to wait over 45 minutes for ultrasound
The nurses were all very kind and understanding. The blood technician was always on time and very prompt. However, there are only one or two ultrasound technicians so sometimes I would have to wait 30-60 minutes to get into her. Overall, the nursing staff did everything they were supposed to do.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Some of the strengths that I appreciated about the clinic is that they accept outside monitoring. It is sometimes very hard to get ultrasounds and blood work when you are sending it to a clinic in another state. They always sent the data and never treated me any different. However, if you need lab/ultrasound on a weekend they don't allow it. Although I begged them one time and they let me in. :) The embryo lab would be the weakness since the equipment failure. However, I believe Goldfarb is doing everything in his power to improve the systems.
I think IUI is around $600.00