Medical SchoolCase Western
ResidencyCornell
FellowshipYale
660 1st Avenue
212-263-7629
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend James Grifo to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend NYU to a friend?
After three transfers and no successful pregnancy, he [Dr. James Grifo] is not only encouraging me to continue but ensures me that this process will result in a baby it is just a matter of time and numbers (at some point it will work). He understands how frustrating that is and is constantly encouraging me and letting me know how well I'm doing despite the anxiety, fear, pain, discomfort and hormonal roller coaster.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr. Grifo is all about numbers. He is extremely smart, continues to do research and I find him to be candid and honest with me. After three transfers and no successful pregnancy, he is not only encouraging me to continue but ensures me that this process will result in a baby it is just a matter of time and numbers (at some point it will work). He understands how frustrating that is and is constantly encouraging me and letting me know how well I'm doing despite the anxiety, fear, pain, discomfort and hormonal roller coaster. I find him open to working with other doctors (even when he doesn't agree with their ideology), he is willing to try different things than what his normal protocol allows for. He is open to my suggestions and patiently answers pages and pages worth of prepared questions I have presented him with after doing my own research. In dealing with autoimmune issues he has been particularly accommodating and his ongoing work on Chronic Endometritis has been extremely informative.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at NYU?
Don't be overwhelmed by the size of the office or the staff.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at NYU?
Nurses know my name, as does Dr. Grifo, all are patient, kind, attentive and in tune with my particular case.
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
First retrieval cycle we did 150 Follistim, 150 Menopur. I had 13 eggs, 11 fertilized with ICSI. Did a fresh transfer and PGS tested the balance. Got 2 PGS normal embryos and 1 Mosaic. After failed fresh transfer we did an endometrial biopsy that was positive for Chronic Endometritis. Took months to treat that, once it cleared I did two frozen transfers that both resulted in chemical pregnancies. The first frozen transfer was done with Estrace and an autoimmune protocol that included Prednisone, Plaquenil and IVIG. The second FET was a natural cycle transfer with autoimmune protocol as well. This current retrieval cycle I am doing 300 Follistim, 150 Menopur and Letrozol.
I love these women! They are exceptional, all of them. Caring, kind, compassionate and HUMAN. They know me by name and are all cheering me on.
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic is big, there are always people in the waiting room. If you want a boutique experience this is not for you. Despite its size, it is extremely well run. Signing in at the computer is arguably the only time I felt like a "number." I have never experienced a mishap or mistake on behalf of the clinic or a missed call etc.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
A lot of women in the waiting room, if you show up at the very end of monitoring hours you will wait for sure. But once you put your name into the system that you arrived, you will be called in turn (usually within 20 minutes at the very longest) and from there it is a well oiled machine. You get to know all the doctors and PA's that are doing the sonograms and you know all the nurses drawing blood.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
For a self-pay full cycle, with PGS testing, transfer and medications the OVERALL cost (everything included) is approximately $24,000.
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU.
Dr. Grifo does not endorse multiple embryo transfer but is willing to do so at the patient's request or insistence.
NY - 1st Ave
You see him [Dr. Grifo] once in a while in the corridors, and if you are lucky, he'll see you for 1 ultrasound out of 15. When you catch him, in your first appointment or a consultation call post PGS results, he is indeed a star. He will give you his full attention, the full truth, and will be blunt about your chances, which I appreciate, but I can see some women not being a fan of. He knows his numbers inside out, which is great, but that in itself can make you feel like another number
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Spotting Grifo in the clinic is like spotting a celebrity. You see him once in a while in the corridors, and if you are lucky, he'll see you for 1 ultrasound out of 15. When you catch him, in your first appointment or a consultation call post PGS results, he is indeed a star. He will give you his full attention, the full truth, and will be blunt about your chances, which I appreciate, but I can see some women not being a fan of. He knows his numbers inside out, which is great, but that in itself can make you feel like another number compounding that average, that median, and keep you on your tip toes secretly hoping for the moment he will pull you aside and say "look, I followed your case day by day, I know a lot about you now, and you are not part of this statistic anymore... you are you and this is what I think!" It's not going to happen, but emotionally I'm in that phase now, as I wait for for my 2nd IVF cycle yet (I'm banking after 1 PGS-tested euploid embryo already frozen). The retrieval is performed by the doctor in attendance that day, so if Grifo is there 1 out of 5 days, your chances of seeing him are 20%. I just went through the embryo transfer course from Fertility IQ and am now freaking out about the performance variances across different doctors within the same clinic. Looking forward to touching base with Grifo to know his POV on this.
Try to take your emotions out of the equation as much as possible. Convince yourself you are making the best possible choice by enduring IVF: 1) you are maximizing your chances, 2) you are controlling the outcome (if you are doing PGS you are screening the best quality embryos in advance, and you are lowering your miscarriage chances to lower rates than mother nature), 3) you are taking an expensive, emotionally tolling, short-cut to starting a family, if time is of the essence for you. Personally, IVF me dread every evening of treatment, but I took one day at a time, and even tried to enjoy the fact that I was taking control over my destiny (vs. years worth of trying, especially if you are retrieving a high number of eggs per cycle --imagine the monthly disappointments, or even mourning a miscarriage (which happened to be in the recent past). Grifo is a matter-of-the-fact person, so if you are able to rationalize all the facts above, he is the doctor for you. He can be personable, funny, and charmingly smart.
You feel like a human when you are seen by the team of doctors and nurses, but once you need a follow up call with one of the doctors or nurses, the answering system is efficient, but does make you feel like just another number. They will call you back, but it's often someone you've never spoken to before. Also, sitting in a packed waiting room and having your name called among other 10 names, definitely feels like a manufacturing plant scale... The 1:1 interactions are great (with with exception of billing), but everything else around it is of inhumane scale.
Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide and Lupron + HCG triggers. My body responded very well to drug stimulation, and all along, doses of Gonal F and Menopur were being adjusted by doctors so my follicles had time to mature appropriately. Cetrotide was taken to prevent early ovulation, and my triggers consisted of 2 days of Lupron and 1 day of HCG, at 36 and 24hrs prior to retrieval. Triggers are to be shot at specific times, so that generates a little anxiety, especially if you have to excuse yourself from a client meeting for a few minutes :( My 1st cycle produced 20+ eggs and 2nd cycle 20+ eggs again. Quality is very different from quantity, so if you can, PGS will give you a good reality check and ensure a lower miscarriage/bad surprises rate. I don't have final results yet as I'm still waiting on 2nd cycle results (1st one yielded 1 euploid embryo that is currently frozen).
The FC NYU is a well-oiled machine. 1:1 interactions with nurses are great. And when you have to call for questions, the message service is tremendously impersonal, but efficient. Nurses will call you back in a couple of hours, and leave very unambiguous voice mails. They are great. A few of them are more talkative and will give you invaluable tips (that should probably be part of orientation), such as: 1) if you are doing PGS, what is the best possible way to optimize timing (brith control pills); 2) if you are using the Gonal F or Follastim pens, don't throw them away if they are not completely finished as you can get a full day worth of dosage in it, or even combine it with a brand new cartridge, representing hundreds of dollars of savings in the end; 3) don't buy all drugs at once, get supplies worth a few days, because you never know how quickly your body will respond to drugs, and you might get stuck with a ton of expensive drugs you can't return.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Not a state-of-the art clinic. Success rates, doctors, equipment were what mattered to me, but if you are looking for premium waiting rooms, 1:1 attention from your doctor during the full length of treatment, immediate responses to follow up calls, this may not be the clinic for you. The academic association of this clinic warrants a team approach, so you will have to trust the team of doctors' best practices, proven protocols, years of research and published papers. The few star doctors of the clinic will be there for you if you really need them. But you will need to be a very patient patient. In FC NYU there are great embryologists, so if you fear your age is determining a lower quality of your eggs, you want that team looking at your embryos and performing biopsies. You also want to go for the PGS testing lab they recommend and trust their interpretation of results. One thing I absolutely loathed about this clinic was the billing department. Staff sitting there is misinformed, inefficient, insecure, and unprofessional. Even if you consider that dealing with any insurance is a dreadful process, the billing team should be 200% better at their jobs. Every time I know I have to deal with them, my adrenaline is through the roof. FC, please reassess billing staff + provide better "client services" training and make measurable improvements ASAP!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Efficient well-oiled machine. Nurses are very personable despite the scale of the clinic. Well-mannered, up beat, rain or shine, as early as 7.30 on a holiday. They are GREAT!
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
Depends. If insurance covers, the value per IVF cycle charged is lower (about $7,500), if you are paying OOP the iVF cycle is about $10,200. Retrieval anesthesia, cryo, transfer, PGS costs, drugs are all separate. I don't have all the info yet because of insurance processing delays, but if you are doing all OOP, costs are as follow (approx. total $: 24,000) - $15,300 retrieval + cryo + PGS - $1,000 retrieval anesthesia - $2,500 PGS lab testing (minimum fee, pending # of biopsied embryos) - $5,000 drugs Insurance scam I leaned about after many hours on the phone amidst my full time job: my Express Scripts insurance drug coverage gives me a lifetime max coverage of $4,000. If I process through insurance 1 pen of Gonal F 900 units, the cost is of $1,900. If I pay OOP, the cost is of $850 through the same pharmacy. So.... with my insurance I was hoping to cover at least 80% of the drugs I needed for 1 cylce, and with 2 pens of Gonal F (approx. 10% of the drugs I actually needed) my life time max was done! Appalling... specially when you read Australian blogs in which women go through 10 cycles of IVF for free...
Not discussed with Grifo yet, but my philosophy is to take as little drugs as possible, especially after the recent bombarding I did to my body, and the fact that I have no issues ovulating and a well functioning endometrium.
NY - 1st Ave
Dr. Griffo barely reviewed my file before meeting with me. He and his staff [at NY] talked about numbers and procedures like I was a machine...My husband and I went to Dr. Grifo for an initial consultation...He then proceeded to show me to a room and asked me to put on a robe so that he would examine me. Not understanding at all why this would be part of an initial consultation, and even though I asked him repeatedly about it, in an effort to do everything I could to have a baby, I ended up submitting myself to an ultrasound and a swab. I was confused, felt completely taken advantage of, and left that place feeling like a machine
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
My husband and I went to Dr. Grifo for an initial consultation. He spoke to us for about an hour without focusing on our case - he just kept referring to statistics, graphs, and numbers. We told him that we had a fertility doctor who had already done all the standard tests on us, but that we had decided to also meet with him to be confident that we were comfortable with our decision. We couldn't have been clearer that we were there to gather information. He then proceeded to show me to a room and asked me to put on a robe so that he would examine me. Not understanding at all why this would be part of an initial consultation, and even though I asked him repeatedly about it, in an effort to do everything I could to have a baby, I ended up submitting myself to an ultrasound and a swab. I was confused, felt completely taken advantage of, and left that place feeling like a machine. A few weeks later, I received a bill, as my insurance was not covering the tests he did on me that day, something I have no doubt he knew. So I ended up having to pay for those completely unnecessary tests that I had never asked for.
Do NOT chose him as your doctor.
Dr. Griffo barely reviewed my file before meeting with me. He and his staff talked about numbers and procedures like I was a machine. I have met with other doctors, this was my worst experience.
All the staff in that office treated us like we were machines. They gave us tons of papers with information, and they kept mentioning dates and enumerate steps of procedures in the most impersonal way I can possibly describe.
Describe your experience with NYU.
It was clean. But being there felt very impersonal, and all the staff were pretty bad communicators. We were guided to at least 4 different desks, where different nurses and admin staff talked to us about different parts of the procedures, and none of them seemed to care about or even realize that I was so overwhelmed I was about to break down in tears. They have no good internal processes, and it ends up being quite upsetting to just even be there.
NY - 1st Ave
Dr. Grifo may come off as cold and standoffish; however, you should not be afraid to ask any questions. I would encourage to ask as many questions as possible and pick his very knowledgeable brain. Be your own advocate!...Dr. Grifo is very straight forward and says it like it is. He is very into his statistics and its all about the numbers. He provides you with the different options for you to make the decision. To me he basically admitted that he has no idea why I am not conceiving and said its a luck game. He even said "If you tried naturally for 5 years you would probably get pregnant". He said if I want to rush he would do IVF(which is costly) but then also suggested I try 3 letrizole IUI cycle after having 3 failed clomid IUI cycles. With Dr. Grifo I tried 1 letrizole cycle which unfortunately failed. I suggested to try an injectable IUI cycle as I wanted to try something new; however, he did not agree with that and said that he would want to do IVF instead of injectables. I did not understand from him or his nurses why it is a problem to try injectables before IVF. Also I have an autoimmune
Middle Eastern, Other
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr. Grifo is very straight forward and says it like it is. He is very into his statistics and its all about the numbers. He provides you with the different options for you to make the decision. To me he basically admitted that he has no idea why I am not conceiving and said its a luck game. He even said "If you tried naturally for 5 years you would probably get pregnant". He said if I want to rush he would do IVF(which is costly) but then also suggested I try 3 letrizole IUI cycle after having 3 failed clomid IUI cycles. With Dr. Grifo I tried 1 letrizole cycle which unfortunately failed. I suggested to try an injectable IUI cycle as I wanted to try something new; however, he did not agree with that and said that he would want to do IVF instead of injectables. I did not understand from him or his nurses why it is a problem to try injectables before IVF. Also I have an autoimmune condition; however, he does not believe it affects my infertility; however, he was open to me being on certain medications such as blood thinners if needed during a cycle. But they would have to be prescribed by another Dr. such as hematologist, rheumatologist , RI. Right now I put a hold on treatment as i am moving apartments, i am looking into a Dr. who will try an injectable IUI
It is a smaller clinic less doctors. The nurses really care and return phone calls/ and emails Promptly
I did 1 Letrizole IUI cycle with ovadril, I produced 2 follicles 1 large the other smaller. Unfortunately it resulted in a negative pregnancy test. He used Letrizole to try something different because I had 3 failed clomid IUI. He also re-tested my platelet count because they appeared to be slightly below the norm. I was very happy they caught the low platelet count because when I was at RMA they missed it. His nurses were reviewing my records from RMA and noticed this low platelet count. I went to a hematologist and turned out to be the platelets were not such a big issue.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Carole and Andrea )
The nurses and other staff are very caring and patient. They return phone calls and emails promptly. When I needed a copy of my records emailed to me they had it done very quickly.
Describe your experience with NYU.
My experience at NYU was pleasant. Wait times were not long and the clinic was not super crowded. The nurses have a good eye as they were able to catch things my previous RE didn't catch. They are all very patient even when I called many times.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
My IUI was covered by insurance; however, I had to pay for the Ovardril approximately $75 and ultra sounds were applied to my deductible which was about a total of $198
I did not do embryo transfers but in my initial consult Dr. Grifo strongly disagrees with transferring more than one embryo.
NY - 1st Ave
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He [Dr. Grifo] was so personal and personable. He humanized this entire, gut-wrenching process of IVF. While being very data driven and showing us statistics regarding success rates at my age and ovarian reserve level, Dr. Grifo also said I was heroic for undergoing such procedures and to stop blaming myself. He shared his personal story of infertility and feelings of helplessness and failure.. During the process, my meds were customized and monitored daily
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr Grifo was transparent from the get go about our chances of success. He used data regularly to supplement his commentary. He was so, so human and made us feel like heroes for undertaking IVF, as opposed to failures who couldn't conceive. He shared his own story of infertility and all of the associated feelings. I felt so comfortable from that first visit; I was depressed, angry and confused, and Dr Grifo was understanding of each of these emotions and offered suggestions to help. He never made me feel like just a number. He was patient in person and by phone, always answering our questions and personalizing his advice.
Go sooner rather than later.
From the initial visit, it was clear Dr. Grifo was different. He was so personal and personable. He humanized this entire, gut-wrenching process of IVF. While being very data driven and showing us statistics regarding success rates at my age and ovarian reserve level, Dr. Grifo also said I was heroic for undergoing such procedures and to stop blaming myself. He shared his personal story of infertility and feelings of helplessness and failure; can you even imagine a pioneer of IVF feeling like this, let alone admitting it? He made me and my husband feel hopeful, but again he utilized data to explain his beliefs and confidence. During the process, my meds were customized and monitored daily (this was certainly not the case at the prior clinic where we went through three, unsuccessful egg retrievals. The nurses were supremely confident, down to earth and competent. Furthermore, I felt like they were rooting for me and knew me. The Dr who performed the transfer (not Grifo) was incredible; she was realistic, yet optimistic and spoke to me like a real human (not just #7 transfer today).
While at first my protocol looked similar to the prior clinic we'd used for 3 rounds of eggs retrievals (all unsuccessful), I quickly saw that NYU was different. The nurses and Drs were constantly evaluating and tweaking my dosage. I took clomid pills, menapur injections, ganerilex injections and double trigger shots. For the transfer there was vaginal and oral estogren pills, as well as other injections. I produced 21 eggs for retrieval, 3 survived until day 5 and 2 tested normal w/ PGS. We transferred 1 embryo and I'm due to have a baby in less than 6 weeks.
NYU has a smaller clinic on the Westside of Manhattan that was a life saver for me w/ all of the early morning blood draws and ultrasounds. I have to be at work by 8am and going to NYU on the East side would've been very stressful. The nurses were accommodating (arriving early for me), sympathetic and I truly felt like they were rooting for me. They were always patient and kind.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Despite the size and being part of an academic institution, I never felt like a number at NYU. My treatments were so customized and the Drs and nurses so personal, I felt like they really knew me. The technology was also great; iPads to sign in quickly, online secure emails and online videos to help w/ injections.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
Dr Grifo did not accept my primary insurance (Cigna) but did take my secondary (UHC). Many things were covered, but this was our fourth egg retrieval in 1 calendar year so we didn't have a lot of coverage left. Out of pocket was ICSI and PGS, and they charged you in advance and refunded the difference (if fewer embryos made/tested).
We had 2 PGS tested embryos at the end of the retrieval and asked Dr Grifo his thoughts on transferring both. He strongly preferred transferring one, saying odds for pregnancy wouldn't increase w/ 2 and given my age (39) why risk both taking and having an even higher risk pregnancy. His rationale was, would you be more upset to not have a 3rd child or lose both and not get the 2nd you've been trying for all this time.
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
I did do an endometrial scratch and we did do PGS [with Dr. Grifo]...Dr. Grifo's strengths: his success rate, his expertise, his compassion. The only weakness is that it's hard to get in touch with him directly and sometimes his assistant does not respond for a few days...Dr. Grifo was immediately empathetic, but realistic. He does not have the "God" complex that I found other IVF doctors had. He is incredibly knowledgeable and compassionate. HIs staff was very professional as well.
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Ask as many questions as you need to. Tell him how important it is for you that HE himself monitors your daily appointments. Listen to his advice, whether good or bad. He does not say things just to be nice, if he thinks you are progressively positiviely, you are!
When my husband and I met with Dr. Grifo, we had been trying to conceive for over 2 years. We had had several miscarriages, ectopic pregnancies, and failed FETs. We were completely heartbroken and full of despair. Dr. Grifo was immediately empathetic, but realistic. He does not have the "God" complex that I found other IVF doctors had. He is incredibly knowledgeable and compassionate. HIs staff was very professional as well.
I cannot recall the medications I took, but I did do an endometrial scratch and we did do PGS.
The nursing staff was very efficient and compassionate. My only complaint is there is no direct phone number to reach them at, you always have to leave a message and they will call you back.
Describe your experience with NYU.
To check in during morning monitoring hours, you check in at a computer. I actually like this set-up, but some people think its impersonal. I did not mind and actually thought it was quite efficient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
My job and home schedule is flexible. I found the monitoring hours (early morning) totally manageable. Weekends were more crowded, but sometimes I was seen right away. I was fine with it.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
We loved Dr Grifo. He was upfront with us and extremely empathetic abut our case. He knows what he is doing and is confident in his approach, which turned out to be the right one for us-- we got pregnant on the first try. He made sure we were fully educated every step of the way. He was understanding and supportive of my anxieties in the operating room at the hospital and during treatments at the fertility center.
He's a busy doctor. It's not always easy to speak to him right away, but he will see you or set up time to talk to you if you are willing to wait a week or so. When I had a question that was easily answered by email, he answered through his assistant quickly. But when I needed treatment, he was right on it. When I needed minor surgery, he scheduled me for surgery two days after diagnosis and he did the surgery himself.
Dr Grifo was empathic and kind in his bedside manner and approach. He was available to speak to us when necessary, happened to be the attending when we had our retrieval and made himself available to us to do our transfer.
Gonadotropin antagonist protocol using Gonal F, Menopour and Ganirelix with a Lupron trigger mixed with A small amount of HCG. 22 eggs retrieved, 16 embryos created, 11 at day 6. 3 PGS normal. One transfered. Positive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU.
Nursing staff was great. Team oriented but my nurse was he one I called with specific questions. Always called back right away with answers to my questions and very thorough and efficient during morning monitoring.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Well oiled machine. Excellent doctors and nursing staff. The only area that I wouldn't rate a 10 is the billing staff. Had to follow up when I had questions about insurance, etc.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Extremely efficient. The only time I had to wait longer than 5 minutes was the day after a big snowstorm. Otherwise, i was always in and out within 15-20 minutes. they do rely on the fellows a lot though. During my IUIs, I was only monitored once by an attending and during IVF monitoring, I'd say it was 50/50. But the fellows took more time with me and were more thorough in answering my questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
With in-network insurance, IVF plus frozen transfer was around 10 and PGS was about 2-3k additional. (Not including the PGS lab)
2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
My doctor [Dr. Grifo] was kind and caring, took his time during examinations and consultations and was always available for questions. He was honest and practical, and did not push more serious interventions before I was ready for them.
2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
I came to Dr. Grifo after having a bad experience at another, very highly renowned practice in NYC. I felt like a number in that office, from the way the billing office and office managers dealt with me, to the nurses whom I saw each morning and even my own doctor. I felt that my doctor had a terrible bedside manner and moved me very quickly through the process with little regard to my feelings or what I was ready for. When I came to Dr. Grifo, I was upset and confused, and he very clearly communicated to me my situation, how difficult it is for anyone (not just the 'infertile') to get pregnant, and how it is important to give it time, but also to be smart about it and maximize your chances for a healthy pregnancy, using all of the available data that we have. My other doctor had seen me through one chemical pregnancy, one frozen embryo transfer which failed, and suggested that I seek surrogacy options immediately. I felt as though she was speaking more to her numbers than me as a patient, and a person.
Make an appointment as early as possible! It can take a few months to get a new patient appointment.
The billing department was extremely transparent and professional. The nursing team was extremely kind and available for questions and follow-up when needed. The office was very well organized and I never felt forgotten or overlooked. My doctor was kind and caring, took his time during examinations and consultations and was always available for questions. He was honest and practical, and did not push more serious interventions before I was ready for them.
Day 2 starter - Follistim (start w 300 units) / menopur (start w 150 units) with daily blood tests and ultrasound HCG ovulation trigger The first cycle with Dr. Grifo was a success.
They were friendly! Such a difference from my last clinic and so important as you see them every morning.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Visit windows were 7 - 9 am, so convenient for me. If you needed to get in quickly, you could arrive before 7 am and be seen very soon. Not too crowded, efficient process.
10 - 15k
6 Eggs Frozen
My issues were always addressed very promptly...Only wish it would be cheaper procedure. My results were not as great as I expected, however in the process I found out that I have a medical condition that would make it hard for me to conceive naturally.
6 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Experience was very satisfactory. Staff was very professional and attentive, very keen for detail and always took care of any issues and addressed any concerns right away. I was surprises to learn that my phone calls can be answered so quickly. Very efficient communication between staff, any issue or questions raised with one staff, always been addressed and responded by appropriate party without initiating same concern twice. I was very impressed with the efficiency and precision NYU Firtility clinic ran. I never had to wait for longer than few minutes to be seem, despite the large volume of patients treated by this facility. I have ben seen by different Providers during my monitoring cycle, yet the communication between all staff was superb. They knew exactly where we left off and where to pick-up and where to go next. Very impressed. No regrets. Only wish it would be cheaper procedure. My results were not as great as I expected, however in the process I found out that I have a medical condition that would make it hard for me to conceive naturally and egg Freezing was a great decision on my part. Hopefully some day it will be worth all the expenses.
I don't think I can think of any at this time.
I was impressed with efficiency and attention to detail from all the staff, superb communication between every level of care, Doctors, Nurse, Secretarial staff. My issues were always addressed very promptly, everyone placed a great afford to make me feel that I was taken care of. All staff was unbelievablely helpful and supportive. Unfortunately, I expected much better outcomes - (more eggs to be retrieved) All the labs looked great, however it turned out that many of the follicles were empty/or filled with fluid instead of mature eggs. Besides the costly price, I would definately use same facility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Shantel)
Compared to all other staff, nurses, care coordinators, My Care-coordinator-Shantel did not impressed me with her care. It was someone difficult to get through to her, get her call returned or my questions answered prompt. Whenever answered, was dry and cold with responses. However, other staff quickly covered, stepped in and addressed all my issues. If I could not get a hold of Shantel, someone else helped me right away regardless of the complexity of issues.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
IT ran very efficiently and quick. Due to my work, I was the one frequently being tardy for my blood work and US-monitoring, yet I never felt uncomfortable for creating inconvenience to the rest of staff. Always been treated kindly, with respect and well taken care of. Not once anyone made me feel guilty for running late, yet I never had to wait for more then few minutes to be seen.
NY - 1st Ave
Dr Grifo is a nice guy but VERY blunt. I am a journalist so I appreciated that candor. He is very statistical in his analysis and doesn't mince words. I was 38 about to turn 39 and he was really honest with me that I might not get great results. To my delight, I got 19 perfect eggs, and a 20th that was a little premature. Even he was a little surprised I think. I will say that when he called me to go over the results, he was way more optimistic and said 20 was a terrific number. That was great. The guy is just honest, but I know some women don't like that approach.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Please see previous description. During the procedure it felt like a mill - there were back to back appointments - I felt that I received great treatment.
You're an adult. He will treat you like one. You can get compassion from your husband and your friends... Grifo will give you numbers, data, statistics. He'll also temper your expectations which I appreciated. Then when I received 20 eggs, it was like Christmas.
Honestly, I was SO focused on this, but since it was 2 years ago, I'd prefer not to. I really don't recall. I do think I was overstimulated given my age. I really truly don't think I needed all the drugs they gave me. They were very surprised that I produced so many eggs mid-way through and reduced my dosage of stims. I could barely walk my ovaries were so full! Seriously. It was brutal as was the recovery.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Francis Hooper)
Loved her. She gave me her email and always emailed right back. There were some problems on the weekend - as you know egg retrieval is a two-week procedure - so I was always a little freaked when I couldn't get through but someone always called right back.
Describe your experience with NYU.
A little crowded in the waiting room - but just because their team is the best and had big write ups in recent news. I saw FIVE friends in the waiting room during the course of my treatment. That was weird. The clinic clean and efficient. Definitely knew what they were doing but it was always packed.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Totally well-oiled machine but definitely packed. Never had a problem though and nurses were great at blood taking which is a huge pain.
15K?
NY - 1st Ave
He's [Dr. James Grifo] extremely knowledgeable. He's honest. He always told me all the pros and cons to each option and there was never any pressure. He pretty much lets you decide how you want to go. And he has an excellent personal manner. I definitely would recommend him to a friend...It's [NYU Fertility] very efficient and well run. It's busy and very popular. It can be somewhat factory like. Honestly, there is just no other efficient way to get that many people through the process. However, they always gave me the time I needed.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
He's extremely knowledgeable. He's honest. He always told me all the pros and cons to each option and there was never any pressure. He pretty much lets you decide how you want to go. And he has an excellent personal manner. I definitely would recommend him to a friend.
Make your appointment ASAP. The wait for a first appointment is like 2 months.
Dr. Grifo is very nice. He was always very pleasant and personable. He is a very caring physican.
The nursing staff is very efficient and nice. They generally got me in and out quickly in the mornings and had a good bedside manner. If I had a question, I generally got a timely call back. The one thing I would say is that the practice is very busy, so sometimes you have to be a little aggressive to make sure you get a call back or get taken care of quickly. However, I never felt like they weren't trying to give me a good experience. It's just hard with so many patients. The quality of the care was always great though.
Describe your experience with NYU.
It's very efficient and well run. It's busy and very popular. It can be somewhat factory like. Honestly, there is just no other efficient way to get that many people through the process. However, they always gave me the time I needed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
My workup was paid for by insurance. My IUI was supposed to be covered by insurance but the insurance said my numbers were low, and they refused to cover IUI without drugs, so I paid for it myself rather than use drugs I didn't think I needed. I got pregnant on the first try. :)
NY - 1st Ave
Dr. Grifo provided excellent care and clearly made us aware of the process and managed expectations appropriately. He made himself available for phone consultations during each step of the process....Made himself accessible for individual phone consultations. Emphasized us knowing about the option of genetic screening, which was important to us.... Dr. Grifo followed a medium aggressive drug plan for me.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Ensure to keep track of your own records of hormones, blood tests etc.
Dr. Grifo followed a medium aggressive drug plan for me. I do not recall the exact protocol, but I did not respond as expected and only ended up having one ovary really respond and 3 eggs retrieved. Luckily, we had one healthy blastocyst that resulted in a healthy pregnancy.
Efficient and always made themselves available for my questions and explaining the next steps of the process.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Strengths: Experience, efficiency, availability Weaknesses: Rotating Dr's every time you go in for an apt.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Very efficient and the Dr's were mostly great to work with.
17,500 for retrieval. Total after implantation and drugs was close to ~25k
I very much agreed with Dr. Grifo's approach of only implanting one embryo and doing genetic testing. He stressed the importance of having a healthy pregnancy - considering the risks to the mother, instead of just focusing on getting pregnant and risking multiples.
31 Eggs Frozen
3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Grifo is incredibly knowledgeable and overall is a great doctor. However, the time taken with me as a patient was higher at other clinics, as was the granularity of answers...Dr. Grifo is a very knowledgeable doctor. My experience overall with NYU was positive, as far as it went... However, it was unclear at the end of it whether I had enough eggs to be a true insurance policy. Additionally the hormone dose used was higher than at other clinics, where my results were similar...
31 Eggs Frozen
Investor
3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr. Grifo is a very knowledgeable doctor. My experience overall with NYU was positive, as far as it went. The process itself was straightforward. However, it was unclear at the end of it whether I had enough eggs to be a true insurance policy. Additionally the hormone dose used was higher than at other clinics, where my results were similar.
Ask his thought process behind the hormone doses he chooses. Also ask his viewpoint on whether eggs or embryos makes more sense, given your age and goals.
300 follistim, 300 menopur, 5 days clomid, ganirelex
The nursing staff is phenomenal at NYU
Describe your experience with NYU.
I had mild OHSS post treatment. There are medications that can be given to diminish this (ganirelex or cetrotide for a few days). While the other clinics I have been to were willing to provide that, NYU will not, which makes the recovery time much more prolonged and difficult.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Efficient and not unpleasant, although assembly line
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
$9200 per egg freeze cycle, $1000 for anesthesia. Med costs were separate and above this
2013 - 2016
Endometriosis, Unexplained
[Dr. Jamie] Grifo is one of very few doctors who doesn't talk down to his patients, but instead equips them with the information they need to decide on a course of action. I really appreciate that! I suspect this is partly because he is *not* insecure and because he is well-informed (partly due to undertaking research himself).
2013 - 2016
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Grifo is a straight-forward communicator, meeting with my husband and I a few times to talk about options and setting up a treatment plan. I felt he was doing evidence-based (rather than anecdote-based) medicine, and I got great results.
Take advantage of his expertise, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
There is a team of people you deal with. I found them all very nice in person. My one complaint is that they could be difficult to reach by phone. My calls, even during business hours to the nursing staff, often went to the answering service. If you have a busy schedule, it can be easy to miss the call they place back resulting in a lot of frustrating phone tag.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Strengths: extremely well-organized, with cutting-edge knowledge of procedures and expertise. Weaknesses: Sometimes it can be hard to get in touch of nurses by phone.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Very easy, usually a wait of less than 20 minutes.
NY - 1st Ave
Unexplained fertility on our part, so we tried 4 IUI's (1 natural, 3 with clomid) which all failed....Dr. Grifo is a highly professional, honest and caring doctor, who doesn't try to 'sell' you on any fertility services. In the several meetings I have had with him, he has always been very frank yet warm, ready to share with us data from his years of research and work, and also understand how that understanding should be applied to us.
Unexplained fertility on our part, so we tried 4 IUI's (1 natural, 3 with clomid) which all failed. This time around we are doing our first IVF with frozen transfer, and I was put on follistim, menopur and cetrotide with lupron trigger. I was responding very well to the medications (estradiol to ~5,000), so the dosage was taken down over the stimulation period.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Orientation session that you must attend is very informative. Billing is straightforward for the most part, however those on the staff who are responsible for processing pre-authorizations of insurance are not the most responsive always -- you need to be persistent at times to get the information you need.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
The costs quickly add up; estimate ~$25-30K for first cycle (including PGS, meds, anaesthesia), that doesn't include the $4K per transfer after the initial.
2012 - 2013
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The first meeting with him was very personal...He had his own history with infertility that helped him connect
2012 - 2013
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
He was very personable and always was around to schedule a call if we had questions. I do think it's important to always read up and be on top of your own care. My thyroid kept spiking and I felt I needed to be on top of it bec no one else was. This may or may not have contributed to infertility as it wasn't that high (3-4 max), but I had read that fertility doctors did need to see it below 2.5 in order for treatment to be effective. So that's my only complaint... But I truly think he is the best.
Always do your own research and be aware of the right questions to ask.
The first meeting with him was very personal. He is a big shot doctor and was on the second to have a successful IVF transfer ever so it was nice to see that he was personal as well. He had his own history with infertility that helped him connect
Very kind but wish that they would call you prior to 12pm- sometimes you had to wait for results until 4/5pm
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Well oiled machine First come first serve between the hours of 7am-9am Cycled you thru
2009 - 2011
We were listened to and treated with respect [by Dr Grifo] - and it was obvious he loved helping people create families. He shared things about his own life as well...We got the results we wanted and were always treated compassionately. I had had a previous bad experience with an HST test and he redid it in a much better way and made me feel like it was the other doctor's fault and not mine. At a time when I felt very vulnerable that my body wasn't doing what it was supposed to do, he never made me feel like it was my fault and he always made me feel like we had options...
2009 - 2011
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Be prepared for a wait to get an appointment but once you're in, it's all good.
We were listened to and treated with respect - and it was obvious he loved helping people create families. He shared things about his own life as well.
Both pregnancies -- Clomid (lowest dose) one cycle with monitoring (ultrasound). IUI at the right time and I got pregnant. Very lucky, I know.
Competent and quick to answer questions. Everyone always friendly, even early in the morning when I usually went in.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Very efficient and professional - checkin with iPads, quick and easy - never a long wait. Staff helpful and friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
I'm sorry - it was a long time ago. I remember they didn't take my insurance so I had to submit by hand, but they always had the paperwork ready for me. It wasn't cheap, but we weren't expecting it to be.
2010 - 2011
IVF, Donor Eggs
Strengths: [Dr. Grifo] was real and honest and encouraged us to 'stir the pot' with the donor eggs which we really liked. Weakness: he was speaking at an event the day of my embryo transfer so he didn't perform the day of the big event, which made me upset.
2010 - 2011
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Strengths: he was real and honest and encouraged us to 'stir the pot' with the donor eggs which we really liked. He showed us pictures of his IVF children and made us feel comfortable with the procedures. Weakness: he was speaking at an event the day of my embryo transfer so he didn't perform the day of the big event, which made me upset. However, like the entire process, I just went with the flow and now have two beautiful and healthy twin girls who I love and adore with all my heart.
Request him to be present at the transfer if important to you.
The entire practice was great. While on the wait-list for a donor, they called me to tell me they typically don't refer patients to agencies, but one had several girls who fit my profile so we ended up using this agency. Ended up 2 girls backed down - 1 2 weeks before she was set to come for the procedure. It was emotional to say the least. I called NYU and they talked us through options and put us at the top of the list since we were off it for about 6 months that we thought we had a donor. The entire practice treated us very kindly and like we were humans throughout this emotional stage.
2014 - 2018
18 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing, IVF
Dr Grifo answers questions, but the process feels disorganized and providers write things illegibly on pieces of paper which both feels disorganized and ineffective. Why don't they prepare material and customize it as needed....Do some research ahead of time. Also, he is a bit conservative...The clinic's [NYU - 1st Ave] strengths is their success with live births. The clinic's weaknesses are their lack of organization and the lack of ease of the process.
2014 - 2018
18 Eggs Frozen
Latino, Prefer not to answer
1 Egg Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Do some research ahead of time. Also, he is a bit conservative. Other doctors in other clinics have different approaches.
Office doesn't call back or follow-up in a timely manner. ... for scheduling and billing. The actual visit feels personal, but the office logistics are impersonal
Menopur
Lots of handwritten instructions
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic's strengths is their success with live births. The clinic's weaknesses are their lack of organization and the lack of ease of the process. Access to the office is difficult even when you are an existing patient.
Electronic check-in works well
Egg freezing was about $17k
He said he would only do single transfers for my age group
NY - 1st Ave
Dr Grifo really gives you the time and attention and has a great demeanor, but it is tough to get an appointment and get him on the phone sometimes because he is so in-demand...He is willing to take risks when necessary and was able to retrieve the most eggs. He is on top of all the most updated studies in the field and i trust his judgement completely. The only concern is that he is not there at every appointment and did not do the retrieval, but he is at the ones that matter.
Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr. Grifo is extremely patient and compassionate.He is also extremely knowledgeable and I highly recommend him. He is willing to take risks when necessary and was able to retrieve the most eggs. He is on top of all the most updated studies in the field and i trust his judgement completely. The only concern is that he is not there at every appointment and did not do the retrieval, but he is at the ones that matter.
Trust him and know you are in good hands
Friendly and efficient!
Describe your experience with NYU.
The one weakness is there is no one nurse assigned to your case to followup with you. Every day a different nurse called. That being said, they were all warm and knowledgeable and always willing to help answer any questions. I never felt like I was falling through the cracks
Quick and efficient
Dr. Grifo is a strong supporter of PGS and single embryo transfer
2005 - 2012
2 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
He [Dr. James Grifo] and his staff were personable... knowledgable, straight forward, reliable and honest. He adjusted treatments in response to results. He and the other physicians in the group were well coordinated, so I never felt as if there was a lapse in care if he was out of the office on the day of my visit...
2005 - 2012
2 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr. Grifo is knowledgable, straight forward, reliable and honest. He adjusted treatments in response to results. He and the other physicians in the group were well coordinated, so I never felt as if there was a lapse in care if he was out of the office on the day of my visit.
Perhaps the only thing I would have advised was only doing IUI once and if that failed to go straight to IVF.
He and his staff were personable
Describe your experience with NYU.
well coordinated. good success rates. Psychologist who evaluates prior to IVF, etc was excellent. Secretaries are efficient and responsive. One thing I do not like is the new answering system that they have created, although efficient it is impersonal
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
I went first thing in the morning. Hours were convenient. Very efficient, was able to always leave clinic and be on time for work. It is a first come first served process so getting there before the doors open is recommended
total over the yrs probably over $150K
I am very happy that they placed 3 embryos at a time. I strongly believe this is the most appropriate option for women who are in their late 30's or older.
2007 - 2011
I really liked him [Dr. James Grifo] and was very knowledgeable. He followed up when the IUI wasn't working and did further testing to find out if I wasn't having a problem. Since I was okay we moved into IVF. The first time was successful...Since I did not really meet with him much it took away for the personal touch
2007 - 2011
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
I really liked him and was very knowledgeable. He followed up when the IUI wasn't working and did further testing to find out if I wasn't having a problem. Since I was okay we moved into IVF. The first time was successful
To be upfront about everything and clear on your history. Be prepared it is group of Doctor's so he may not be the one performing your extractions and implantation.
Since I did not really meet with him much it took away for the personal touch
sorry I do not remember anymore.
they were compassionate and a pleasure to deal with.
Describe your experience with NYU.
smooth running team. the worked well together and got you in and out quickly in the morning.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
there were set monitoring hours and would make sure to go early to beat any waits.
don't remember
He did not provide an feedback on that. I only had 2 good embryos so we went with both of them.