4.8

James Grifo works at

660 1st Avenue
212-263-7629

Treated 2017
Dr. Grifo was always kind and compassionate with every conversation. I only met with him in person once, but he was always available for a conference call with my husband and I and we never felt rushed when on the call. I felt like he really understood how tough this process is and how much of an emotional roller-coaster it can be.... He explained the science and numbers but in a compassionate way. He's clearly seen it all and would give advice, but also understands that every experience is individual and personal and deserves that attention.
Dr. Grifo's assistance was extremely nice and helpful! Everyone else [NYU] was nice, as well. The only issue was the wait time for monitoring was often pretty long. Although you may feel like you're just one of too many, once you see someone they are very nice and always answer questions. Billing was helpful, as well.... There were two main nurses I saw who both did the IUI. Both were nice and chatty in a good way as it relaxed me. With one the procedure hurt, with the other not as much, but both were nice and answered questions I had.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I am so happy I saw Dr. Grifo as my first fertility doctor as he was so great at explaining everything. He explained the science and numbers but in a compassionate way. He's clearly seen it all and would give advice, but also understands that every experience is individual and personal and deserves that attention. My only complaint is that I would have preferred to have seen him in person during my iui's
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Make sure you request phone calls with him since you won't see him in person (if doing an IUI). But he is very responsive and receptive on the phone.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We did 3 IUIs. Each time I took clomid and went in for monitoring. Trigger shot and then the next day came in for the IUI (done by a nurse). My husband gave a fresh sperm sample.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Dr. Grifo's assistance was extremely nice and helpful! Everyone else was nice, as well. The only issue was the wait time for monitoring was often pretty long. Although you may feel like you're just one of too many, once you see someone they are very nice and always answer questions. Billing was helpful, as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My insurance did not cover IUI so I think we paid between 1-2K per cycle
Treated 2014
Dr Grifo is a nice guy but VERY blunt. I am a journalist so I appreciated that candor. He is very statistical in his analysis and doesn't mince words. I was 38 about to turn 39 and he was really honest with me that I might not get great results. To my delight, I got 19 perfect eggs, and a 20th that was a little premature. Even he was a little surprised I think. I will say that when he called me to go over the results, he was way more optimistic and said 20 was a terrific number. That was great. The guy is just honest, but I know some women don't like that approach.
[NYU Fertility was a] totally well-oiled machine but definitely packed. Never had a problem though and nurses were great at blood taking which is a huge pain...A little crowded in the waiting room - but just because their team is the best and had big write ups in recent news. I saw FIVE friends in the waiting room during the course of my treatment. That was weird. The clinic clean and efficient. Definitely knew what they were doing but it was always packed.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Please see previous description. During the procedure it felt like a mill - there were back to back appointments - I felt that I received great treatment.
You're an adult. He will treat you like one. You can get compassion from your husband and your friends... Grifo will give you numbers, data, statistics. He'll also temper your expectations which I appreciated. Then when I received 20 eggs, it was like Christmas.
Honestly, I was SO focused on this, but since it was 2 years ago, I'd prefer not to. I really don't recall. I do think I was overstimulated given my age. I really truly don't think I needed all the drugs they gave me. They were very surprised that I produced so many eggs mid-way through and reduced my dosage of stims. I could barely walk my ovaries were so full! Seriously. It was brutal as was the recovery.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Francis Hooper)
Loved her. She gave me her email and always emailed right back. There were some problems on the weekend - as you know egg retrieval is a two-week procedure - so I was always a little freaked when I couldn't get through but someone always called right back.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Totally well-oiled machine but definitely packed. Never had a problem though and nurses were great at blood taking which is a huge pain.
15K?
NY - 1st Ave
You don't see him [Dr. Grifo] often during your treatment, but he's always happy to get on the phone with you to answer any questions. Thoughtful, informed, and open to collaboration (we tried a med recommendation I'd found in a recent study for PCOS patients that his team hadn't done before: it worked to get me to ovulate but unfortunately did not result in pregnancy.)... Tried clomid + letrozole together for IUI cycle which first time resulted in dominant follicle
Strengths [of RMA NY]: talented team, ease in protocol. Weakness: all communication is mostly via phone, vs results + instruction via e-mail, sometimes harder to get everything straight. Biggest con is far east side location. But team is overall super helpful. Generally quick turnaround for monitoring, though I've waited there once up to an hour.... IUI not covered: $2K. Monitoring and visits covered by insurance.
How was your experience with James Grifo at RMA of New York?
You don't see him often during your treatment, but he's always happy to get on the phone with you to answer any questions. Thoughtful, informed, and open to collaboration (we tried a med recommendation I'd found in a recent study for PCOS patients that his team hadn't done before: it worked to get me to ovulate but unfortunately did not result in pregnancy.)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid of being proactive: and be specific with questions to take advantage of his knowledge.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at RMA of New York?
Thoughtful discussion of my background, warm coupled with insight and knowledge. Conversational, but direct.
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Tried clomid + letrozole together for IUI cycle which first time resulted in dominant follicle and ovulation with trigger shot but did not result in pregnancy. Trying again next cycle did not produce a follicle, neither did just a higher dose of letrozole. Currently preparing for IVF
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I know several of the nurses by name, they are super friendly and helpful, and responsive.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths: talented team, ease in protocol. Weakness: all communication is mostly via phone, vs results + instruction via e-mail, sometimes harder to get everything straight. Biggest con is far east side location. But team is overall super helpful. Generally quick turnaround for monitoring, though I've waited there once up to an hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at RMA of New York.
IUI not covered: $2K. Monitoring and visits covered by insurance.
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
RMA of New York
NY - Downtown
Treated 2015 - 2016
Dr. Grifo provided excellent care and clearly made us aware of the process and managed expectations appropriately. He made himself available for phone consultations during each step of the process....Made himself accessible for individual phone consultations. Emphasized us knowing about the option of genetic screening, which was important to us.... Dr. Grifo followed a medium aggressive drug plan for me.
Strengths [of NYU]: Experience, efficiency, availability Weaknesses: Rotating Dr's every time you go in for an apt.... [The nursing staff were] Efficient and always made themselves available for my questions and explaining the next steps of the process.... 17,500 for retrieval. Total after implantation and drugs was close to ~25k... Dr. Grifo followed a medium aggressive drug plan for me.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Ensure to keep track of your own records of hormones, blood tests etc.
Dr. Grifo followed a medium aggressive drug plan for me. I do not recall the exact protocol, but I did not respond as expected and only ended up having one ovary really respond and 3 eggs retrieved. Luckily, we had one healthy blastocyst that resulted in a healthy pregnancy.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Strengths: Experience, efficiency, availability Weaknesses: Rotating Dr's every time you go in for an apt.
Very efficient and the Dr's were mostly great to work with.
17,500 for retrieval. Total after implantation and drugs was close to ~25k
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I very much agreed with Dr. Grifo's approach of only implanting one embryo and doing genetic testing. He stressed the importance of having a healthy pregnancy - considering the risks to the mother, instead of just focusing on getting pregnant and risking multiples.

Treated 2014 - 2018
Success w/ Doc 18 Eggs Frozen
Dr Grifo answers questions, but the process feels disorganized and providers write things illegibly on pieces of paper which both feels disorganized and ineffective. Why don't they prepare material and customize it as needed....Do some research ahead of time. Also, he is a bit conservative...The clinic's [NYU - 1st Ave] strengths is their success with live births. The clinic's weaknesses are their lack of organization and the lack of ease of the process.
The clinic's [NYU - 1st Ave] strengths is their success with live births. The clinic's weaknesses are their lack of organization and the lack of ease of the process. Access to the office is difficult even when you are an existing patient...Office doesn't call back or follow-up in a timely manner. ... for scheduling and billing. The actual visit feels personal, but the office logistics are impersonal...They also kept saying someone would call me back to discuss billing and no one ever did. In the past, I also mailed and dropped off my checks for annual Oocyte fee and they misposted it.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Do some research ahead of time. Also, he is a bit conservative. Other doctors in other clinics have different approaches.
Menopur
Lots of handwritten instructions
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic's strengths is their success with live births. The clinic's weaknesses are their lack of organization and the lack of ease of the process. Access to the office is difficult even when you are an existing patient.
Electronic check-in works well
Egg freezing was about $17k
He said he would only do single transfers for my age group
What specific things went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I requested my results from 2014 and they kept losing my request form. They also kept saying someone would call me back to discuss billing and no one ever did. In the past, I also mailed and dropped off my checks for annual Oocyte fee and they misposted it.

Treated 2015 - 2016
Success w/ Doc 31 Eggs Frozen
Investor
Dr. Grifo is incredibly knowledgeable and overall is a great doctor. However, the time taken with me as a patient was higher at other clinics, as was the granularity of answers...Dr. Grifo is a very knowledgeable doctor. My experience overall with NYU was positive, as far as it went... However, it was unclear at the end of it whether I had enough eggs to be a true insurance policy. Additionally the hormone dose used was higher than at other clinics, where my results were similar...
The nursing staff is phenomenal at NYU...Efficient and not unpleasant, although assembly line...I had mild OHSS post treatment. There are medications that can be given to diminish this (ganirelex or cetrotide for a few days). While the other clinics I have been to were willing to provide that, NYU will not, which makes the recovery time much more prolonged and difficult...
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo is a very knowledgeable doctor. My experience overall with NYU was positive, as far as it went. The process itself was straightforward. However, it was unclear at the end of it whether I had enough eggs to be a true insurance policy. Additionally the hormone dose used was higher than at other clinics, where my results were similar.
Ask his thought process behind the hormone doses he chooses. Also ask his viewpoint on whether eggs or embryos makes more sense, given your age and goals.
300 follistim, 300 menopur, 5 days clomid, ganirelex
The nursing staff is phenomenal at NYU
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Efficient and not unpleasant, although assembly line
$9200 per egg freeze cycle, $1000 for anesthesia. Med costs were separate and above this