5.1

James Grifo works at

660 1st Avenue
212-263-7629

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
Unexplained fertility on our part, so we tried 4 IUI's (1 natural, 3 with clomid) which all failed....Dr. Grifo is a highly professional, honest and caring doctor, who doesn't try to 'sell' you on any fertility services. In the several meetings I have had with him, he has always been very frank yet warm, ready to share with us data from his years of research and work, and also understand how that understanding should be applied to us.
Orientation session [at NYU] that you must attend is very informative. Billing is straightforward for the most part, however those on the staff who are responsible for processing pre-authorizations of insurance are not the most responsive always -- you need to be persistent at times to get the information you need....The costs quickly add up; estimate ~$25-30K for first cycle (including PGS, meds, anaesthesia), that doesn't include the $4K per transfer after the initial.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Unexplained fertility on our part, so we tried 4 IUI's (1 natural, 3 with clomid) which all failed. This time around we are doing our first IVF with frozen transfer, and I was put on follistim, menopur and cetrotide with lupron trigger. I was responding very well to the medications (estradiol to ~5,000), so the dosage was taken down over the stimulation period.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Orientation session that you must attend is very informative. Billing is straightforward for the most part, however those on the staff who are responsible for processing pre-authorizations of insurance are not the most responsive always -- you need to be persistent at times to get the information you need.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

2012 - 2013, Successful
The first meeting with him was very personal...He had his own history with infertility that helped him connect
Well oiled machine. First come, first served. Between the hours of 7am-9am, cycled you through. [Nurses were] Very kind but wish that they would call you prior to 12pm- sometimes you had to wait for results until 4/5pm.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
He was very personable and always was around to schedule a call if we had questions. I do think it's important to always read up and be on top of your own care. My thyroid kept spiking and I felt I needed to be on top of it bec no one else was. This may or may not have contributed to infertility as it wasn't that high (3-4 max), but I had read that fertility doctors did need to see it below 2.5 in order for treatment to be effective. So that's my only complaint... But I truly think he is the best.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Always do your own research and be aware of the right questions to ask.
The first meeting with him was very personal. He is a big shot doctor and was on the second to have a successful IVF transfer ever so it was nice to see that he was personal as well. He had his own history with infertility that helped him connect
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Well oiled machine First come first serve between the hours of 7am-9am Cycled you thru
2005 - 2012, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Grifo] and his staff were personable... knowledgable, straight forward, reliable and honest. He adjusted treatments in response to results. He and the other physicians in the group were well coordinated, so I never felt as if there was a lapse in care if he was out of the office on the day of my visit...
[NYU is] well coordinated...Psychologist who evaluates prior to IVF, etc was excellent. Secretaries are efficient and responsive. One thing I do not like is the new answering system that they have created, although efficient it is impersonal...[nurses are] helpful...I was mistakingly removed from the egg donor list by one of the nurses...I went first thing in the morning. Hours were convenient. Very efficient, was able to always leave clinic and be on time for work. It is a first come first served process so getting there before the doors open is recommended
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo is knowledgable, straight forward, reliable and honest. He adjusted treatments in response to results. He and the other physicians in the group were well coordinated, so I never felt as if there was a lapse in care if he was out of the office on the day of my visit.
Perhaps the only thing I would have advised was only doing IUI once and if that failed to go straight to IVF.
He and his staff were personable
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
well coordinated. good success rates. Psychologist who evaluates prior to IVF, etc was excellent. Secretaries are efficient and responsive. One thing I do not like is the new answering system that they have created, although efficient it is impersonal
total over the yrs probably over $150K
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I am very happy that they placed 3 embryos at a time. I strongly believe this is the most appropriate option for women who are in their late 30's or older.
What specific things went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I was mistakingly removed from the egg donor list by one of the nurses.

2009 - 2011, Successful
We were listened to and treated with respect [by Dr Grifo] - and it was obvious he loved helping people create families. He shared things about his own life as well...We got the results we wanted and were always treated compassionately. I had had a previous bad experience with an HST test and he redid it in a much better way and made me feel like it was the other doctor's fault and not mine. At a time when I felt very vulnerable that my body wasn't doing what it was supposed to do, he never made me feel like it was my fault and he always made me feel like we had options...
Very efficient and professional [at NYU - NY - 1st Ave] - checkin with iPads, quick and easy - never a long wait. Staff helpful and friendly...Competent and quick to answer questions. Everyone always friendly, even early in the morning when I usually went in...Be prepared for a wait to get an appointment but once you're in, it's all good...
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Be prepared for a wait to get an appointment but once you're in, it's all good.
We were listened to and treated with respect - and it was obvious he loved helping people create families. He shared things about his own life as well.
Both pregnancies -- Clomid (lowest dose) one cycle with monitoring (ultrasound). IUI at the right time and I got pregnant. Very lucky, I know.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Very efficient and professional - checkin with iPads, quick and easy - never a long wait. Staff helpful and friendly.
I'm sorry - it was a long time ago. I remember they didn't take my insurance so I had to submit by hand, but they always had the paperwork ready for me. It wasn't cheap, but we weren't expecting it to be.
2010 - 2011, Successful
Strengths: [Dr. Grifo] was real and honest and encouraged us to 'stir the pot' with the donor eggs which we really liked. Weakness: he was speaking at an event the day of my embryo transfer so he didn't perform the day of the big event, which made me upset.
The entire [NYU] practice was great...I called NYU and they talked us through options and put us at the top of the list since we were off it for about 6 months that we thought we had a donor.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Strengths: he was real and honest and encouraged us to 'stir the pot' with the donor eggs which we really liked. He showed us pictures of his IVF children and made us feel comfortable with the procedures. Weakness: he was speaking at an event the day of my embryo transfer so he didn't perform the day of the big event, which made me upset. However, like the entire process, I just went with the flow and now have two beautiful and healthy twin girls who I love and adore with all my heart.
Request him to be present at the transfer if important to you.
The entire practice was great. While on the wait-list for a donor, they called me to tell me they typically don't refer patients to agencies, but one had several girls who fit my profile so we ended up using this agency. Ended up 2 girls backed down - 1 2 weeks before she was set to come for the procedure. It was emotional to say the least. I called NYU and they talked us through options and put us at the top of the list since we were off it for about 6 months that we thought we had a donor. The entire practice treated us very kindly and like we were humans throughout this emotional stage.
2007 - 2011, Successful
[NYU was a] smooth running team. the worked well together and got you in and out quickly in the morning...Nursing Staff were compassionate and a pleasure to deal with...I really liked him [Dr. James Grifo] and was very knowledgeable. He followed up when the IUI wasn't working and did further testing to find out if I wasn't having a problem. Since I was okay we moved into IVF. The first time was successful...Since I did not really meet with him much it took away for the personal touch
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I really liked him and was very knowledgeable. He followed up when the IUI wasn't working and did further testing to find out if I wasn't having a problem. Since I was okay we moved into IVF. The first time was successful
To be upfront about everything and clear on your history. Be prepared it is group of Doctor's so he may not be the one performing your extractions and implantation.
Since I did not really meet with him much it took away for the personal touch
sorry I do not remember anymore.
they were compassionate and a pleasure to deal with.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
there were set monitoring hours and would make sure to go early to beat any waits.
don't remember
He did not provide an feedback on that. I only had 2 good embryos so we went with both of them.
NY - 1st Ave
He [Dr. James Grifo] always made me feel like I was important. It didn’t matter how busy he was, he made sure to answer all my questions and not rush my appointments... was an absolute genius in his field. Not only was he brilliant and ready to make changes so that I could achieve the best possible results, he was also kind, compassionate and caring. He knew how nervous I was and always made sure to calm me down and be the positivity that I needed.
They are very busy [at NYU] , but the whole process runs smoothly. You will get the best treatment and that is what is most important...I recommend getting to early morning monitoring before 8:55am because otherwise you will have a wait. If you have a question, ask. A nurse will always get right back to you. They really have your best interest at heart. This is a hard process but they are all there to help you every step of the way.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo was an absolute genius in his field. Not only was he brilliant and ready to make changes so that I could achieve the best possible results, he was also kind, compassionate and caring. He knew how nervous I was and always made sure to calm me down and be the positivity that I needed.
Trust him. Even if you don’t like what he has to say, trust that he will do everything he can to get you a baby.
He always made me feel like I was important. It didn’t matter how busy he was, he made sure to answer all my questions and not rush my appointments.
Follistem, Menipour, clomid, trigger shot
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They are very busy, but the whole process runs smoothly. You will get the best treatment and that is what is most important. The lab is one of the best in the city. Know that this is important. I recommend getting to early morning monitoring before 8:55am because otherwise you will have a wait. If you have a question, ask. A nurse will always get right back to you. They really have your best interest at heart. This is a hard process but they are all there to help you every step of the way.
It was covered under my insurance. I only had to pay for PGS testing. Once I was pregnant I had to pay for the sonograms.
NY - 1st Ave

Talk to him [Dr. Grifo] about any doubts and ask questions regarding potential complications... Great patient care, vet knowledgeable, and personable. Good flexibility in connecting through the phone as opposed to only through office visits. Vet patient and personable. But I am still in the middle of the process at this time... Even though they [NYU] have lots of patients the level of care is individual.
Very experienced staff [NYU], well oiled machine. It feels like the do this all the time and know all of the possible complications. Even though they have lots of patients the level of care is individual. I would definitely recommend this center... Good flexibility in connecting through the phone as opposed to only through office visits. Vet patient and personable. But I am still in the middle of the process at this time
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Talk to him about any doubts and ask questions regarding potential complications
Great patient care
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Very experienced staff, well oiled machine. It feels like the do this all the time and know all of the possible complications. Even though they have lots of patients the level of care is individual. I would definitely recommend this center