Nurse available by email
FellowshipU. of Illinois
675 Arapeen Way
SLC, UT 84108
(801) 581‑3834
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend James Hotaling to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 60%Don't recommend: 40%8

5.2

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Utah to a friend?
He [Dr. Hotaling] was not very personal, and we saw his NP more often than him. I wasn't too impressed with his bedside manner, but still would refer him to others because his care was good and got us the desired outcome.... Due to my low sperm count and motility, he put my on Clomid. I've been taking 50mg every other day for a few months. His NP explained to me before-hand that it would take about 3 months for my sperm count to reflect the improvements, and that was correct.
How was your experience with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was not very personal, and we saw his NP more often than him. I wasn't too impressed with his bedside manner, but still would refer him to others because his care was good and got us the desired outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Hotaling at University of Utah?
Just know that he's not going to be the most compassionate, but is known for being the best male-factor infertility doctors around.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was in and out of the appointment quickly. Felt more like the answers to our questions should have been obvious, and he just wanted to move onto treatment and not discuss things as much.
Describe the protocols James Hotaling used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Due to my low sperm count and motility, he put my on Clomid. I've been taking 50mg every other day for a few months. His NP explained to me before-hand that it would take about 3 months for my sperm count to reflect the improvements, and that was correct. I've continued taking it once my counts improved, as we continue treatments for my wife.
We have had a few mixups with medications, and labs being ordered. But the staff was kind and seemed knowledgable, just not all the way put together.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The entire clinic felt more like a machine, and less patient-based than other clinics I've been to. No one seemed to remember me or recall my care plan, despite a few calls and appointments. The clinic was however clean, inviting, and felt reputable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Hotaling at University of Utah.
I don't really remember costs. They seemed to be as we anticipated for specialist visits. The medications prescribed have been reasonably priced.
What specific things went wrong at University of Utah?
SLC

Dr. Hotaling makes a point to get to know you and your lifestyle. He wants your treatment to fit in to what you do, rather than make it a bigger effort than it already is. He scheduled appointments with us outside of his normal hours.... Dr. Hotaling is extremely personable and makes the entire process very confortable. He explains things very directly, and in a way that is digestible. Dr. Hotaling is skilled in his craft.
How was your experience with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
Ask questions! If you don't understand something, ask for clarification.
We are in the beginning stages of our IVF process. My wife has started birth control. While we have just begun our process, we are hoping that our feedback will still be considered.
They were well organized and kind. They made sure we were comfortable. The nursing staff works well as a team.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic does a great job of coordinating care between appointments. The individuals who we booked appointments with worked with both my wife and my working schedule, and aimed to get us in as soon as possible. At times our appointments were delayed, but that was ok with us, because the quality of care was very high.
We are in the beginning of this process, but our total cost is aimed at being close to $18,000.
Describe James Hotaling's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Dr. Hotaling recommends elective single embryo transfer. He suggests this because he would prefer my wife not be at risk for twins. My wife is small in stature and we would prefer to not put her body through the distress of carrying twins.
SLC

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with James Hotaling at University of Utah.

IVF, Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Hotaling] is very knowledgeable, skillful, and things turned out exactly as he had predicted. He also was very compassionate and hopeful. We felt like we could trust in his guidance and counsel 100%, and knew he did all he could to help us.... I had a surgery to try to connect my tubes because they ended up both being blocked just as Dr Hotaling predicated (since my hormone levels were normal). He ended up only being able to connect one side since the other was impossible to.
IVF, Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He is very knowledgeable, skillful, and things turned out exactly as he had predicted. He also was very compassionate and hopeful. We felt like we could trust in his guidance and counsel 100%, and knew he did all he could to help us.
Go see him!
He was very personal and gave us great hope from the moment we met him.
I had a surgery to try to connect my tubes because they ended up both being blocked just as Dr Hotaling predicated (since my hormone levels were normal). He ended up only being able to connect one side since the other was impossible to. He also extracted enough sperm for us to be able to do IVF in the future, but told us we had 18 months for my surgery to work before we needed to go to IVF.
I honestly don't remember my experience with the nursing staff, so I'm sure they were great.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I got the appointment I needed to get the surgery I needed right away, which I was really grateful for. I didn't have to wait for a long period of time, maybe due to my circumstances. They also were very professional and helpful.
Around $11,000 for the surgery, and then about $100 yearly for keeping the frozen sperm.