Island Fertility

Doctor available by emailNurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolSUNY
ResidencySUNY
Commack
500 Commack Road
Commack, NY 11725
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend James Stelling to a friend?
6 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Stelling] spoke quickly and it was hard to catch everything he said at times, but he was willing to answer questions and review information. He was not the doctor who performed the actual retrieval, and I would have preferred knowing this further in advance rather than just before the retrieval. I appreciated that he was honest when assessing the results and acknowledged that it was not what he had expected when going into the retrieval.
6 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with James Stelling at Reproductive Specialists of New York?
He spoke quickly and it was hard to catch everything he said at times, but he was willing to answer questions and review information. He was not the doctor who performed the actual retrieval, and I would have preferred knowing this further in advance rather than just before the retrieval. I appreciated that he was honest when assessing the results and acknowledged that it was not what he had expected when going into the retrieval.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Stelling at Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Ask as many questions as you need to. He is patient and knows he speaks quickly so he is very willing to review information or clarify something he already covered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Stelling at Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Although he spoke quickly, he took time to answer questions and had a decent bedside manner. He was honest when going over the results and I didn’t feel like he was trying to backtrack when the results weren’t as expected. He offered ideas for the second round.
Describe the protocols James Stelling used in your cycles at Reproductive Specialists of New York and their degree of success.
I was prescribed 300 units Follistim and 300 Menopur. I was on the injections for about 13 days because the follicles weren’t reacting as quickly as expected. I ended up with 17 follicles , 13 eggs retrieved, 6 were mature and 6 made it through the freezing process.
Very friendly and approachable. They took time to answer questions and return calls. I felt very comfortable asking for help and speaking to them about the process.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of New York.
The clinic can be very busy. Most often I had a minimal waiting time but a few times it was upwards of 30 minutes. Overall, the staff was the best part of this clinic. The nurses remember very patient and show great empathy. I felt like I mattered.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Specialists of New York.
These went smoothly and the office was well run. I was usually seen close to my scheduled time, and except for one instance, there was no more than a 30 minute wait. The visits were quick and efficient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Stelling at Reproductive Specialists of New York.
It was roughly $4000 (just under) all included, except for medicines and copays. The drugs were separate but were covered by my insurance. Each visit requires my insurance’s copay. Ultimately this was probably about another $450-$500. This price included two months of freezing. After the two months it is $390 for 6 months.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Stony Brook
2009 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He [Dr. James Stelling] was always around but sometimes never got back to you with an email or phone call. I inquired about egg donors and never received any info. He was just not a good talker per se. He explained everything but you had to have it repeated because he spoke way too fast...He spoke sincerely to you and straight forward... I wanted to be more aggressive but he was always safe.
2009 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He was always around but sometimes never got back to you with an email or phone call. I inquired about egg donors and never received any info. He was just not a good talker per se. He explained everything but you had to have it repeated because he spoke way too fast.
He is always in the office so seeing him was never a problem. He spoke sincerely to you and straight forward despite talking fast.
He always spoke too fast. He expressed many options but was hard to comprehend at times. He was though very soft spoken.
I’ve blocked a lot of things after the fact so I don’t remember. I know we tried clomid with IUI. I also know we did GonalF and other drugs with IVF. We also did the birth control pill with hormones after but i don’t remember the protocol. I wanted to be more aggressive but he was always safe.
So loving and helpful. When I didn’t understand they would try to explain things. They always were around and remembered your name. I actually miss the attention they gave.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of New York.
Waiting room could have been more cheerful. Also referrals for support groups and more information for those of us doing things alone. I felt alone during this process. The clinic was nice but once you left you were on your own. When I went to another clinic they didn’t help with getting me my records. I had to pay a lot of money just to get my own records. I was very frustrated.
I did run up some bills but I managed. My insurance covered 3 cycles of IVF but only 75% and an indefinite amount of IUI. I still had to pay for blood work and visits but I’m still paying off the debt accumulated because of additional costs and medicine.
Describe James Stelling's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Specialists of New York.
He was open to transfer as many eggs but I just didn’t produce them or they never fertilized.
Mineola
Although he [Dr. James Stelling] speaks very fast, once you get used to his speed he is quite humorous which put me at ease. Also, on the day we discovered I had had my first miscarriage, he was very comforting. In fact the whole office put my needs first that day. Months later when I was there [at Reproductive Specialists of New York] for another appointment I realized I was waiting much longer than usual. I could sense that another woman was experiencing what I had and now it was her turn to take priority in the office.
Dr. Stelling is hard to read at first but that is mostly because he speaks VERY fast. Once you catch on to his speed he is very thorough, and quite humorous. If I wanted to have another child I would definitely use him again.
Don't be afraid to ask him to repeat himself.
Although he speaks very fast, once you get used to his speed he is quite humorous which put me at ease. Also, on the day we discovered I had had my first miscarriage, he was very comforting. In fact the whole office put my needs first that day. Months later when I was there for another appointment I realized I was waiting much longer than usual. I could sense that another woman was experiencing what I had and now it was her turn to take priority in the office.
With my initial blood work Dr. Stelling started me on thyroid meds for hypothyroidism and Vitamin D for a deficiency. My first four tries were IUIs, each with an HCG trigger shot. After the 4th failed attempt we added Clomid pills which increased the number of follicles and led to pregnancies each time. Try 4 and 5 resulted in miscarriages. After the second miscarriage Dr. Stelling ordered a slue of blood work which revealed I had a slightly elevated clotting factor that may have been causing the miscarriages. So with the 7th try (third pregnancy) I began taking a low dose aspirin daily. That is why my daughter's nick name is Lucky Seven. :-)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Specialists of New York. (Assigned nurse: Linda)
Every staff member in the office was amazing! Loving, caring, sympathetic. In my opinion the staff is more important than the doctor. You will be spending much more time with them and these ladies made me feel at home.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of New York.
From reception, to blood draws, to scans, to shots, to information shared and explained these woman are amazing.
My insurance paid for all the medical expenses. I paid about $1000 a try for the donor sperm.
West Islip
He [Dr. James Stelling] likes to transfer 1 embryo for young patients, but we could convince him to do 2...I felt mostly like a number when I had appts with Dr. Stelling. I always felt like he rushed my appts and didn't really take the time to listen to my concerns... Dr. Stelling did not review our charts before the consult which was concerning to us. He made some jokes that a lot of people would find offensive such as "if your husband had sex with a 19 year old he would probably get her pregnant"
Dr. Stelling talks veryyyyyy fast. It's hard to keep up. I was referred to him from my OBGYN who diagnosed us with male factor infertility. Dr. Stelling did not review our charts before the consult which was concerning to us. He made some jokes that a lot of people would find offensive such as "if your husband had sex with a 19 year old he would probably get her pregnant" He told us that he likes an aggressive approach because he wants to get his patients pregnant asap. He wanted us to do 3 IUIs before moving onto IVF when other doctors would want to do 4-5 IUIs.
He wanted to do 3 medicated IUIs first. I ended up having a chemical pregnancy from my second IUI, so he wanted to "reset the clock" and do an additional 3 more IUIs. We did 2 more cycles which failed, so we told him we were ready to move on to IVF.
The nurses are absolutely amazing at this clinic! They treat you like you are a part of their family.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of New York.
Dr. Stelling has recently left the practice with another doctor to start their own clinic. Because of this, they have been very understaffed and I have to wait at least 45 mins for my appts. They did not notify any of his patients that he had left, which caused a lot of stress.
After I met my $300 deductible I had full coverage for IUI and IVF procedures. Insurance didn't cover anesthesia ($900) and cyro ($1300)
He likes to transfer 1 embryo for young patients, but we could convince him to do 2.
2013 - 2015
2013 - 2015
My husband and I both left Dr. Stelling's office smiling after our first consultation with him. He was personable and understanding of the fact that we're "not millionaires" ready to jump to the most expensive forms of treatment. However, he was just as understanding when we were emotionally spent and worked with us. He was the fourth and final doctor we saw and cannot say enough about him. We have since moved out of state but will be traveling back to Dr. Stelling for our next cycle as opposed to finding a new doctor.
He tells it like it is. He'll use the word "boobs" and tell you and your spouse that he understands you're probably sick of having sex. It may not sound professional to some but it lightens the mood and really creates a more personable and comfortable atmosphere.
My care team was so caring, personable and overall amazing. When our pregnancy test came back positive I got hugs from all the nurses. They were genuinely happy and excited for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Specialists of New York. (Assigned nurse: Susan Marfaglio)
How genuinely happy they were for us when we finally got pregnant. And how they remembered us after 2 years.
Monitoring appointments were run like a well oiled machine. The waiting room was never overflowing and I was always in and out.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Specialists of New York?
2012 - 2013
He [Dr James Stelling] is an intelligent man but looking back he didn't have a great bedside manner and sometimes you hardly saw him and another doctor within the practice was dealing with your case...His strategy was to get me pregnant. I ended up with OHSS and had to delay my transfer. Then I had two frozen medicated transfers and they both failed. I also had a uterine biopsy which was the worst experience of my life. I just felt that although he seemed to have an idea of what To do with me, nothing he actually did was successful.
2012 - 2013
He is an intelligent man but looking back he didn't have a great bedside manner and sometimes you hardly saw him and another doctor within the practice was dealing with your case.
I know people who have gotten pregnant with him so it Cms be successful but I wouldn't waste my time.
Depending on who was working that day was the doctor you saw, it didn't matter who started to give you a treatment plan. There were times I questioned whether they spoke to each other about what they were suggesting.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Specialists of New York. (Assigned nurse: Linda )
Love the nursing staff so much! I cried when I decided to leave them.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of New York.
You see whatever Doctor is in that day which may be a different doctor than you saw the day before.
You made an apptionment and showed up in the morning.
It was covered under insurance so I didn't pay out of pocket besides copay's.
West Islip