Island Fertility

Island Fertility

Commack
500 Commack Road
Commack, NY 11725

He [Dr. James Stelling] likes to transfer 1 embryo for young patients, but we could convince him to do 2...I felt mostly like a number when I had appts with Dr. Stelling. I always felt like he rushed my appts and didn't really take the time to listen to my concerns... Dr. Stelling did not review our charts before the consult which was concerning to us. He made some jokes that a lot of people would find offensive such as "if your husband had sex with a 19 year old he would probably get her pregnant"
The nurses are absolutely amazing at this clinic [Reproductive Specialists of New York]! They treat you like you are a part of their family...Dr. Stelling has recently left the practice with another doctor to start their own clinic. Because of this, they have been very understaffed and I have to wait at least 45 mins for my appts. They did not notify any of his patients that he had left, which caused a lot of stress.
How was your experience with James Stelling at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Dr. Stelling talks veryyyyyy fast. It's hard to keep up. I was referred to him from my OBGYN who diagnosed us with male factor infertility. Dr. Stelling did not review our charts before the consult which was concerning to us. He made some jokes that a lot of people would find offensive such as "if your husband had sex with a 19 year old he would probably get her pregnant" He told us that he likes an aggressive approach because he wants to get his patients pregnant asap. He wanted us to do 3 IUIs before moving onto IVF when other doctors would want to do 4-5 IUIs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Stelling at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Describe the protocols James Stelling used in your cycles at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York and their degree of success.
He wanted to do 3 medicated IUIs first. I ended up having a chemical pregnancy from my second IUI, so he wanted to "reset the clock" and do an additional 3 more IUIs. We did 2 more cycles which failed, so we told him we were ready to move on to IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
The nurses are absolutely amazing at this clinic! They treat you like you are a part of their family.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Stelling at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
After I met my $300 deductible I had full coverage for IUI and IVF procedures. Insurance didn't cover anesthesia ($900) and cyro ($1300)
Describe James Stelling's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
He likes to transfer 1 embryo for young patients, but we could convince him to do 2.
Mineola
2009 - 2017, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. James Stelling] was always around but sometimes never got back to you with an email or phone call. I inquired about egg donors and never received any info. He was just not a good talker per se. He explained everything but you had to have it repeated because he spoke way too fast...He spoke sincerely to you and straight forward... I wanted to be more aggressive but he was always safe.
[The nurses at Reproductive Specialists of New York are] So loving and helpful. When I didn’t understand they would try to explain things. They always were around and remembered your name. I actually miss the attention they gave...Waiting room could have been more cheerful. Also referrals for support groups and more information for those of us doing things alone. I felt alone during this process. The clinic was nice but once you left you were on your own. When I went to another clinic they didn’t help with getting me my records. I had to pay a lot of money just to get my own records. I was very frustrated.
He was always around but sometimes never got back to you with an email or phone call. I inquired about egg donors and never received any info. He was just not a good talker per se. He explained everything but you had to have it repeated because he spoke way too fast.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Stelling at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York?
He is always in the office so seeing him was never a problem. He spoke sincerely to you and straight forward despite talking fast.
He always spoke too fast. He expressed many options but was hard to comprehend at times. He was though very soft spoken.
I’ve blocked a lot of things after the fact so I don’t remember. I know we tried clomid with IUI. I also know we did GonalF and other drugs with IVF. We also did the birth control pill with hormones after but i don’t remember the protocol. I wanted to be more aggressive but he was always safe.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
I did run up some bills but I managed. My insurance covered 3 cycles of IVF but only 75% and an indefinite amount of IUI. I still had to pay for blood work and visits but I’m still paying off the debt accumulated because of additional costs and medicine.
He was open to transfer as many eggs but I just didn’t produce them or they never fertilized.
Mineola
2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
He [Dr James Stelling] is an intelligent man but looking back he didn't have a great bedside manner and sometimes you hardly saw him and another doctor within the practice was dealing with your case...His strategy was to get me pregnant. I ended up with OHSS and had to delay my transfer. Then I had two frozen medicated transfers and they both failed. I also had a uterine biopsy which was the worst experience of my life. I just felt that although he seemed to have an idea of what To do with me, nothing he actually did was successful.
Depending on who was working that day was the doctor you saw, it didn't matter who started to give you a treatment plan. There were times I questioned whether they spoke to each other about what they were suggesting...Love the nursing staff [at Reproductive Specialists of New York] so much! I cried when I decided to leave them...He [Dr James Stelling] is an intelligent man but looking back he didn't have a great bedside manner and sometimes you hardly saw him and another doctor within the practice was dealing with your case.
He is an intelligent man but looking back he didn't have a great bedside manner and sometimes you hardly saw him and another doctor within the practice was dealing with your case.
I know people who have gotten pregnant with him so it Cms be successful but I wouldn't waste my time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York. (Assigned nurse: Linda )
Love the nursing staff so much! I cried when I decided to leave them.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
You see whatever Doctor is in that day which may be a different doctor than you saw the day before.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
You made an apptionment and showed up in the morning.
It was covered under insurance so I didn't pay out of pocket besides copay's.
West Islip