James Stelling

500 Commack Road
Commack, NY 11725

1 patient review filtered by:

2018, 6 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Stelling] spoke quickly and it was hard to catch everything he said at times, but he was willing to answer questions and review information. He was not the doctor who performed the actual retrieval, and I would have preferred knowing this further in advance rather than just before the retrieval. I appreciated that he was honest when assessing the results and acknowledged that it was not what he had expected when going into the retrieval.
The clinic [Long Island IVF] can be very busy. Most often I had a minimal waiting time but a few times it was upwards of 30 minutes. Overall, the staff was the best part of this clinic. The nurses remember very patient and show great empathy. I felt like I mattered.... They took time to answer questions and return calls. I felt very comfortable asking for help and speaking to them about the process.... In the beginning I had great difficulty getting the initial blood work I needed.
How was your experience with James Stelling at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York?
He spoke quickly and it was hard to catch everything he said at times, but he was willing to answer questions and review information. He was not the doctor who performed the actual retrieval, and I would have preferred knowing this further in advance rather than just before the retrieval. I appreciated that he was honest when assessing the results and acknowledged that it was not what he had expected when going into the retrieval.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Stelling at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Ask as many questions as you need to. He is patient and knows he speaks quickly so he is very willing to review information or clarify something he already covered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Stelling at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Although he spoke quickly, he took time to answer questions and had a decent bedside manner. He was honest when going over the results and I didn’t feel like he was trying to backtrack when the results weren’t as expected. He offered ideas for the second round.
Describe the protocols James Stelling used in your cycles at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York and their degree of success.
I was prescribed 300 units Follistim and 300 Menopur. I was on the injections for about 13 days because the follicles weren’t reacting as quickly as expected. I ended up with 17 follicles , 13 eggs retrieved, 6 were mature and 6 made it through the freezing process.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
Very friendly and approachable. They took time to answer questions and return calls. I felt very comfortable asking for help and speaking to them about the process.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
The clinic can be very busy. Most often I had a minimal waiting time but a few times it was upwards of 30 minutes. Overall, the staff was the best part of this clinic. The nurses remember very patient and show great empathy. I felt like I mattered.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
These went smoothly and the office was well run. I was usually seen close to my scheduled time, and except for one instance, there was no more than a 30 minute wait. The visits were quick and efficient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Stelling at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
It was roughly $4000 (just under) all included, except for medicines and copays. The drugs were separate but were covered by my insurance. Each visit requires my insurance’s copay. Ultimately this was probably about another $450-$500. This price included two months of freezing. After the two months it is $390 for 6 months.
What specific things went wrong at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
In the beginning I had great difficulty getting the initial blood work I needed. The clinic told me to get certain tests at my PCP, but the PCP refused to order them. My PCP was the primary problem, but the miscommunication with the clinic and the back and forth calls with both doctors took several hours to resolve. Ultimately the tests were done in house at the clinic and I paid for them. Also when it came time to pay for the procedure, the computer system had different iformation than what had been provided in writing by the financial counselor. It was resolved fairly quickly but I ended up having to go back and pay a different day while they sorted it out. Since the treatment was finished, this was a completely separate extra trip that would have otherwise been unnecessary.
James Stelling