Medical SchoolU. of Toledo
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684
3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend James Young to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend The Fertility Center of Michigan to a friend?
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Young helped us understand the process and all of our options. We had a lot to learn about unexplained infertility and how to maximize our chances of achieving a successful pregnancy, and Dr. Young patiently helped us with that...Dr. Young suggested we consider using donor embryos...2 donor embryos we're thawed, only one survived the thaw. Dr. Young told us it was a very healthy embryo, so chances of implantation we're good. Unfortunately, the cycle ended in a negative pregnancy test. Dr. Young suggested we try another IVF cycle using donor embryos and select a donor with more embryos available. We are scheduled for a second donor embryo transfer in April.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
When we first got married, we never imagined that it would be so difficult to have a baby. Dr. Young helped us understand the process and all of our options. We had a lot to learn about unexplained infertility and how to maximize our chances of achieving a successful pregnancy, and Dr. Young patiently helped us with that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Trust in the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young was very personable, informamativ, and professional throughout our entire journey so far. He has made us feel at ease and confident in his abilities. Although the process has been trying at times, we are glad that Dr. Young has been there to help us.
Describe the protocols James Young used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Dr. Young tried several different strategies and protocols throughout our journey. First, he tried 100mg of Clomid with Ovidril trigger shot, we attempted 3 cycles of this. Then we did a couple of cycles with Clomid, Follistim and Ovidril. None of these cycles resulted in pregnancy. Third, we attempted to do an IVF cycle using the luteal suppression protocol (Lupron and Gonal-F medications). Only one follicle matured, the cycle was cancelled. Since only one follicle matured with the first IVF cycle, Dr. Young recommended we attempt multi-cycle IVF. If he was able to retrieve one or two eggs each cycle, hopefully there would be enough embryos to transfer after the second or third retrieval. The first cycle of the multi-cycle IVF protocol ended up being cancelled due to no mature follicles. At that point Dr. Young suggested we consider using donor embryos. Because it was the most viable option for us financially at that point, we agreed. In January 2018, 2 donor embryos we're thawed, only one survived the thaw. Dr. Young told us it was a very healthy embryo, so chances of implantation we're good. Unfortunately, the cycle ended in a negative pregnancy test. Dr. Young suggested we try another IVF cycle using donor embryos and select a donor with more embryos available. We are scheduled for a second donor embryo transfer in April.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin Strouse)
All of the nurses we encountered were helpful in explaining everything (i.e. timelines, administration of medications, the "what ifs"). If we had a question, they would respond in a timely manner. When the cycles didn't have the outcome we hoped for, they were compassionate and sympathetic. We are extremely happy with the care they have provided thus far.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The entire team of doctors, nurses and office staff are always willing to help with any questions or concerns we have. We feel well cared for and accommodated with every visit. We would like new patients to know that patience is important as they begin their infertility treatment. Also don't hesitate to ask questions even if they seem trivial.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Donor Embryo Transfer: Case Management Fee: $2,225.00 Bundled Fees (testing/screening/program maintenance, profile preparation, record review, MD evaluation, interdisciplinary ART meeting, appointment with Social Worker): $4,000.00 Vaginal Ultrasound: $295.00 Preparation of Cryopreserved Emryos: $1,000.00 Embryo Transfer: $1,025.00 Abdominal Ultrasound: $215.00 Medication: $500.00
Describe James Young's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. James Young] evaluated my past before I came in and knew what tests to run to find the problem. He explains things in terms that we can understand... definitely took his time with us when we would meet to discuss plans. He didn’t rush us out of his office to get on to the next patient. He seems to care about his patients and their past...resulted in 4 eggs retrieved, one embryo frozen (Grade 3). About to start another cycle with same meds but add clomid on day one. We will be doing PGD testing which is why we froze the one embryo.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
At first he seemed quiet and I wasn’t sure what to think of him, but towards the end of our first appointment I knew he was very good at his job just by what he was explaining to us. He evaluated my past before I came in and knew what tests to run to find the problem. He explains things in terms that we can understand.
Ask questions if you are unsure.
I feel like Dr. Young definitely took his time with us when we would meet to discuss plans. He didn’t rush us out of his office to get on to the next patient. He seems to care about his patients and their past.
First cycle used fermara only. Resulted in a pregnancy that ended at 16.5 weeks, no reason found. Second cycle used 375 Gonal F And 75 menopur for about 9 days (ganirelix and HCG shot towards the end also) resulted in 4 eggs retrieved, one embryo frozen (Grade 3). About to start another cycle with same meds but add clomid on day one. We will be doing PGD testing which is why we froze the one embryo.
They know the protocols and if they were unsure how to proceed they would always let me know they would ask the Dr and let me know that day. I always knew what was happening. If I had any questions they would explain everything very well.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Organized, helpful, compassionate workers. Front desk staff very helpful and work with your schedule. So far my experience has only been good there. They get you in quickly and there isn’t much of a wait at any appointment.
My insurance covers all ultrasounds and 4 estrogen blood draws a month. Paid $10,500 for first cycle and $3000 for the next 2 (multi cycle discount up to 3 cycles). Medications cost $130 for first cycle. Office visits were covered by my insurance.
The Dr. seems to want to transfer 2 for our case as I have trouble carrying them so the hope is that at least one will stick.
Grand Rapids
Dr. Young (and other doctors at this office) have always treated me well. They listen to my questions and concerns and address them wuth kindness, patience and understanding. I can't imagine going through this with any other doctor.... He has a dry sense of humor which always makes me smile. He and his wife also went through fertility treatments which give a better understanding of what a patient is going through.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young is kind and understanding. He has a dry sense of humor which always makes me smile. He and his wife also went through fertility treatments which give a better understanding of what a patient is going through.
Ask questions. He likes Ohio State, so you have to look past that flaw. (Go Blue!)
Early on, we used a medication that had the opposite affect on my system, this was adjusted for the next cycle. This was more successful. It's difficult to remember all of the things we have done. Dr. Young was always very honest with us. I felt that he gave us all the facts and helped us to make decisions based on our personal case.
I love the nursing staff. They are very knowledge and go the extra mile to make sure patients are fully prepared throughout the process.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This clinic is amazing. They go above and beyond to communicate with patients and ensure quailty care. Infertility is difficult, and the staff at this clinic make it bearable. One weakness is that certain appointments can only be scheduled at certain a time of day, which is not always convenient.
A round of IUI was generally atounf $1,500 and IVF was around $9,000. You can apply for the Assured program, which costs around $19,000 and you get up to 3 IVF cycles, if they are all unsuccessful you get almost all of your money back.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Young is definitely very wise and I felt I could trust him with our treatments. Personally, I feel like his bedside manners could improve a little. He is very kind and thorough, but somewhat awkward at times. I felt like I had to push treatment changes when things didn't work but that's also largely a part of my personality. He always explained things in an easy-to-understand way.... I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Keep in mind that although he can come off a little quiet or awkward at times, I do believe he has plenty of wisdom and experience to handle direct treatment courses. I'm still undergoing treatment (more aggressive, I'll add) so I'm very curious to see how my thoughts on him will change, if at all!
Dr. Young is very kind and remembered some minor details about my previous cycles, which I really appreciated.
I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course. I was also thankful to move on to Gonal-F for IUI #4, though my dose was small (75iu nightly). I actually responded with fewer follicles than on 5mg Femara. My 5th and final IUI, we tried a higher dose of Follistim (125iu) and I responded very well! Almost too well: 6 follicles. I'm very glad my clinic was upfront and honest with me about the risks and let me make that decision alongside of them. We still went for that IUI and it was a negative, but I feel very good about that last shot IUI: we tried our best and I feel much more comfortable moving forward with IVF, especially since I've gotten comfortable with injections.
Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana. She is SO good at what she does and is insanely sweet and compassionate! I plan on requesting her for all my future scans, when possible.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.
I have zero fertility coverage besides 50% coverage for meds (which I realized was truly nothing since most pharmacies have an agreement and give women who are completely out of pocket a discount, so my med coverage didn't really do anything). Specifically with my clinic, a semen analysis was around $130. IUI including the sperm wash was $500. Most ultrasounds/appointments were in the $100 range, depending on your coverage, of course.
We are just about to start our first IVF cycle with Dr. Young, so I can't speak about embryo transfers yet. But, I did trigger and have an IUI with 6 follicles and they were very straightforward and honest with me about the risks. You could tell it was very important to them that I knew what I was doing.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I really liked him [Dr. James Young] in the beginning. He spent a lot of time with me and my husband. Then as I mentioned, I didn't see him once we started our 3 month treatment plan. And after 3 failed months of Femara, trigger shot and IUI's I haven't been back. Decided to take a small break then try again. They said we would meet with the doctor again for a new plan of action. But after my 3rd failed month and now 4 months since then, not one person or nurse has ever called to check on us and see if we wanted to make our next appointment and get a new treatment plan going. That's when I went from feeling human to feeling like a number. No one cares I guess, that's what it feels like. Just pay your bill and if you come back you come back. Ugh!
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I really liked him in the beginning. He spent a lot of time with me and my husband. Then as I mentioned, I didn't see him once we started our 3 month treatment plan. And after 3 failed months of Femara, trigger shot and IUI's I haven't been back. Decided to take a small break then try again. They said we would meet with the doctor again for a new plan of action. But after my 3rd failed month and now 4 months since then, not one person or nurse has ever called to check on us and see if we wanted to make our next appointment and get a new treatment plan going. That's when I went from feeling human to feeling like a number. No one cares I guess, that's what it feels like. Just pay your bill and if you come back you come back. Ugh!
Dot set deadlines when you'll be pregame. You'll just disappointed when it comes and go's. Be expectant but informed. Really ask all your questions and understand to your best during your first appointments. As I guess you're not guaranteed to see your doctor for awhile.
I didn't feel like a number initially. I saw Dr. Young in the beginning then for all my ultrasounds and IUI's I did now see him! Kind of crazy to me. After 3 failed months on Femara, 2 months I had failed IUI's and 1 month I couldn't do IUI because they think I ovulated early or late. But I never saw or spoke with Dr. Young once the treatment plan started. I don't like that.
I guess I'm not certain. Just that he said Femara and IUI was his opinion what was best for me during our first 3 month treatment plan. He said we would do 3 month treatment plans and if they didn't work we would re-visit and come up with the next plan. I did my research as well, but mostly trust his expert opinions.
They didn't do a bad job. Just did their job. Just went through the motions and wished me licked every time. Like ok see you next time. No big deal that I had 3 months of expensive failed treatments. They did well, nothing exceptional
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They have a good track record and doctors. That's why I went and will go again. They are close to me and well known. I trust them even though I have sometimes felt like a number. They know what they're doing so I can remove myself emotionally. It's expensive and you may leave feeling worse then when you started! I was so confused when one month I couldn't even have an IUI. I didn't even know that was an option. So make sure to ask lots of questions because some information was left out of our discussions because I'm assuming they thought I just knew.
I think it was around $200-250 just every time I stepped in the office. Which some appointments were not even necessary and could have take place with a phone call or email! We paid for mid-cycle ultrasounds and IUI's (separate cost for both my husband & I). Some appointments I paid for we're frustrating because like I mentioned, they weren't necessary and I left with no new information or the appointment was like 10 mins. Every single thing was a different cost. And I felt like some things my doctor could have provided under insurance. Like certain testing that was done in the very beginning. Like bliss work and ultrasounds. Being I had 3 miscarriages already, shouldn't my normal doctors have already done all the testing, blood work and ultrasounds? Why did it take 3 miscarriage and the fertility center and 5 years for me to be diagnosed with recurrent miscarriage and factor 5?! That's crazy to me
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
None, Other
I felt like he actually knew about my history when he came in to see me for appointments, for the retrievals, and for the transfer. He took into account my diminished ovarian reserve and poor response to my first IVF (with another doctor) when recommending a protocol. He recommended doing a multi-cycle IVF to freeze as many embryos as possible before doing a transfer. I received a phone call from him after my positive HCG test, prior to my appointment. I received a phone call one evening from the nurse practitioner because she was "thinking about me" and wanted to suggest opening a different vial of medication because I might not need as much.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
None, Other
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young is very to the point and honest. He (indirectly) validated my concerns with my first doctor. Dr. Young answered all of my questions. He has a relaxed and calm demeanor, which was beneficial during the stress of fertility treatments! My husband felt very comfortable with Dr. Young and his course of treatment.
Ask questions, like you would with any doctor.
A multi-cycle IVF was recommended based on my AMH (1.16) and poor response to my first IVF (with a different clinic). I was NOT placed on birth control prior to beginning the cycle, which allowed my body to dictate the timeline. He recommended less medication. We paid a flat rate for 3 retrievals and 1 transfer. I was on Clomid for 5 days, and then I began Gonal-F (dosage dependent on follicles). My first retrieval resulted in 6 embryos. My second retrieval resulted in 8 embryos. We did not do a 3rd retrieval, as I had a good amount of embryos already. We did a Day 3 frozen transfer of 2 embryos. I am currently pregnant with a singleton. I had a second sac; however, it did not develop past 5 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie )
Everyone was friendly and helpful. I got to know many of the staff throughout my visits. I felt like they cared about their patients. After each follicle monitoring, I met with a nurse practitioner or other care coordinator to discuss my plan. I received a phone call later that day, if anything changed. It was nice to meet with a person face-to-face rather than only speak to someone on the phone.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic had short waits. The longest I waited was 20 minutes. The office staff was helpful. The retrievals and transfer were performed at the clinic in Grand Rapids. It was nice to be taken care of by the actual clinic staff, rather than at a Surgi-Center. The clinic allows acupuncturists come in to perform an acupuncture treatment before and after the transfer.
IVF reserve spot: $1500 Multi-cycle IVF rate: $11,000 (3 retrievals, if needed, 1transfer) Anesthesia: $400 (x2) Ultrasounds: $283 per Bloodwork (some was covered by insurance- bloodwork done off-site at Kalamazoo office): $8 per Total without medication: $16,089
We were given information to help us make a decision. 1-2 were recommended, and we decided to do 2.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Young has always seemed to be very knowledgeable. He could be considered slightly awkward; he is pretty soft spoken. But he is honest, notices and acknowledges when things are or could be tough for my husband and I. He is very encouraging and positive and does take his time with each of us when we meet.... We started with cheaper and less invasive and then worked our way up. But he listened when we wanted to either slow the process or amp it up. He wanted us to be comfortable and confident and as relaxed as we can be on this journey.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Look past his slight awkward quietness. He is kind and knowledgeable. Plus at this clinic, all the doctors seem to work together on things. I have been confident in all of his directions and direction changes that he has made for us. They made sense and we saw results.
He is patient and thorough. He also seems to be pretty perceptive and tries to have good, as normal as possible conversations along with the "work" discussions.
He explained all our options, gave his opinion on direction, and we took his advice. He adjusted accordingly when needed. We started with cheaper and less invasive and then worked our way up. But he listened when we wanted to either slow the process or amp it up. He wanted us to be comfortable and confident and as relaxed as we can be on this journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie S)
All of the nurses are great. Each doctor has a couple nurses for treatments that aren't ivf, and a nurse specifically for ivf. Everyone seems to work super well together and I have always felt like I have gotten very personal care and that they genuinely want what is best for us.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is rough sometimes with scheduleing for multiple reasons that unfortunately are managed as best they can be. We have almost no otger options for fertility treatment centers; these doctors work together at multiple locations hours apart. They do the best they can. And by the time you are coming to see them, you are willing to make your schedule wprk with thiers.
Over the last 2 years and multiple cycles of differing attempts, we've spent about $13,000
Based on what he already knew of our religious beliefs, this was only briefly discussed.
Kalamazoo
He [Dr. Young] poorly described the steps of our treatment. I...After our miscarriage - I wasn't contacted to talk about next steps...We sat down with Dr. Young and he quickly went through what we would do for treatment by scribbling upside down on a sheet of paper. He didn't talk about success rates or what might be causing us to not conceive naturally... I was actually more confused leaving the office... They don't always listen to you...
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He poorly described the steps of our treatment. I knew more from friends who had been in our shoes than I did from our one visit with him. After our miscarriage - I wasn't contacted to talk about next steps.
Treat me like a person dealing with infertility, not someone who is paying you and try to get me out of the office as fast as possible.
We sat down with Dr. Young and he quickly went through what we would do for treatment by scribbling upside down on a sheet of paper. He didn't talk about success rates or what might be causing us to not conceive naturally. I had a couple friends who had been through what we were about to embark on. I knew more about the process from them than I learned from Dr. Young. I was actually more confused leaving the office. Luckily the nurses and schedulers were very helpful when scheduling appointments and telling me what I needed to do next. Additionally, we did an IUI which was successful, but then miscarried. We had to see a different doctor the day we found out we were having a miscarriage. Since then I haven't heard anything from Dr. Young (or the doctor we saw when we learned we were having a miscarriage) about our next steps. I feel like they only care about the money we pay for services, aside from that, they have no vested interest in their patients.
Some of the staff have been ok to work with. They answer questions and can read lab results. However, the day I called to get the results of my bloodwork - after coming in and finding out we may be having a miscarriage the nurse read me my HCG levels and told me everything looked great. Luckily, I knew where my levels should be if I were pregnant. I had to tell the nurse that my levels should be about 100x what they were. I told her this was a new round of HCG testing and that I originally had my levels done two weeks prior. She told me she thought this was my second reading, which I had to tell her it wasn't. She then asked me why I was having my hcg tested again - in which i had to TELL HER, while trying to hold it together, that I had come in for my 6 week appointment that morning and they couldn't find a heartbeat. She was frazzled and told me she understood and in that case I was indeed having a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strength is that they will try to get you in as soon as possible and have early morning appointments for those who work full-time. Weaknesses. 1. They don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage. 2. They don't always listen to you. I was certain I would ovulate on a Friday or Saturday and thought doing an IUI the following Monday would be too late, the nurse acted like I was crazy to think I would ovulate that soon and told me to take my injection Saturday PM. I again told her I was sure I would ovulate sooner, again she told me it was highly unlikely and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about, but told me to do OPK's so I would know. Sure enough I got a positive OPK the following day of my appoitment, a Friday morning. And got scheduled for an IUI that Saturday. If I hadn't known my body and been adament I may have wasted a ton of money on an IUI 2 days later than I needed it. My IUI I was able to get that Saturday morning was Successful! You don't really have any other options in the Grand Rapids area, unless you want to drive to Lansing, but the amount of appointments required makes that hard to do if you live in Greater GR.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Grand Rapids
If you want a doctor who is knowledgeable and confident he is the doctor for you. If you want someone to make you feel warm and fuzzy, not so much.... He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal. ...It was males based infertility so Dr. Young wanted to start off with a less aggressive treatment...At first I found him to be kind of cold but very informative. He told my husband and I the facts and didn't sugar coat. I like warm people, but when spending the kind of money we were about to and the emotional ride we about to get on I preferred having confidence in my chosen doctors ability and he gave me that 10 fold.
If you want a doctor who is knowledgeable and confident he is the doctor for you. If you want someone to make you feel warm and fuzzy, not so much. I had a bad fall shortly after becoming pregnant thought IVF. I called the clinic to ask what I should do and they patched us through to Dr. Young on a Sunday night. He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal. He understands that this is hard and scary and he doesn't down play that. I felt like it was very important for my husband to feel comfortable with the Doctor we chose as much as I did, and he thought Dr. Young was fantastic. Gave him a lot of peace of mind.
At first I found him to be kind of cold but very informative. He told my husband and I the facts and didn't sugar coat. I like warm people, but when spending the kind of money we were about to and the emotional ride we about to get on I preferred having confidence in my chosen doctors ability and he gave me that 10 fold. As time went on and we moved from IUI to IVF he became more involved and was available for questions and concerns and made me feel very important.
It was males based infertility so Dr. Young wanted to start off with a less aggressive treatment. My husband and I started with a round of IUI and were unsuccessful but Dr. Young encouraged us to try at least 3 before moving on to IVF. We did two rounds of IUI and then decided to do IVF. We did a 2 month protocol (the long protocol) and had success.
They were very helpful and always available to answer any questions we had. They were not always warm which sometimes was hard because with all of the hormones I had surging through me I could have used a little more warmth from them.
$14,000 ICSI and time lapse photography were all part of the cost.
Grand Rapids
He [Dr. Young] is the best. Everyone at the clinic is. They actually care and love what they do. His demeanor and nature are both funny, honest, informative and direct...Dr. Young was always honest and realistic from day 1. After 4 failed attempts, he suggested I have a fibroid and a polyp removed. He did the procedure and in less than 2 months, I was pregnant. I consider him to be very intelligent as well as kind, hopeful, really funny and caring. Considering how invasive all the tests & procedures are, his demeanor is top notch. I always felt at ease.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is honest, caring, determined, open and very funny. He is not afraid to be emotional either, as I personally experienced. Dr. Young was always honest and realistic from day 1. After 4 failed attempts, he suggested I have a fibroid and a polyp removed. He did the procedure and in less than 2 months, I was pregnant. I consider him to be very intelligent as well as kind, hopeful, really funny and caring. Considering how invasive all the tests & procedures are, his demeanor is top notch. I always felt at ease. When it was time to transition to my OB, we had an exit interview. We both got emotional. You don't expect that from your Dr. I went back after the birth of my son, so he could meet our miracle :)
be prepared to listen, trust and do everything that he tells you
He is the best. Everyone at the clinic is. They actually care and love what they do. His demeanor and nature are both funny, honest, informative and direct.
IUI 2 and 3 were a combo of Femara and Ovidrel - didn't work IUI 4, 5 and 6 we switched to injections of Gonal F and Ovidrel. #6 worked. The rationale for being aggressive was because I started the process at age 39. I eventually conceived at 41.
I can't think of anything to improve on at the clinic. All of the staff are wonderful. They seem to care and enjoy what they do. I used a donor and I never once felt judged for that. All of the nurses were compassionate and helpful. My questions were always answered and my scrips filled on time. Scheduling was easy & usually very convenient with my work schedule.they are all very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. They all know that time is of the essence
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
there is a wait every time you go but that is to be expected...They are pretty much the only game in town.
every treatment was around $1500 including visits, tests, drugs, etc.
2011 - 2015
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Dr. Young was so easy to talk to. He was understanding, and right to the point. Just what we needed.... Although we didn’t see him on every visit, he was very good at consulting us when needed, and setting a good plan. He explained all options and left us with our choice, and opinion on how to proceed.... After 5 IUI attempts, with clomid we then tried injections. After 2 rounds we decided (Dr. Young) that IVF would be our next option.
2011 - 2015
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Although we didn’t see him on every visit, he was very good at consulting us when needed, and setting a good plan. He explained all options and left us with our choice, and opinion on how to proceed. Our visits didn’t lead to success, but we are hopeful that IVF will be the one that works, and we will definey go back to Dr. Young!!
Go into you appointment with an open mind. Set plans doesn’t always work, and it is easy to get discouraged. Let the expert guide you on your journey.
He suggested using clinics for a few treatments, although we had already done that for a few years. When several rounds didn’t work, we went on to Clomid and IUI. After 5 IUI attempts, with clomid we then tried injections. After 2 rounds we decided (Dr. Young) that IVF would be our next option.
They were very busy, but organized.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very clean, organized and friendly. They seemed to be a little overwhelmed with how busy the office was. We didn’t feel like just a number, but here were a lot of people in and out, and they didn’t remember our names, or anything . But understandable with their amount of people and clients.
Like most facilities, fertility treatments are expensive. They were open to the cost, and posted this prior to visits.
He just mentioned that we should just choose multiple embryo transfer due to our age. He didn’t like to transfer less than 2.
2012 - 2014
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
[Dr Young possess an] absolutely great bedside manner and a wonderful doctor. He made me feel optimistic and well cared for. I would fly across the country to see him. I had a cyst aspirated twice, removed once, went through one failed IUI and one successful IVF. Dr Young was our primary Doctor but we also interacted with Dr Dodds. I even got lab results from the doctor at 9 pm one weeknight. I felt valued as a patient and made to feel like a priority....
2012 - 2014
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Absolutely great bedside manner and a wonderful doctor. He made me feel optimistic and well cared for. I would fly across the country to see him.
Take advantage of the counseling the clinic offers at no fee. This is such an emotional experience and the extra support is amazing. The entire staff at TFC is just great.
The Fertility Center as a whole was amazing. Every person we encountered was polite, respectful and helpful. Receptionists, nurses, doctors and lab staff greeted us by name, never made us feel rushed and wanted to make sure we understood exactly what was happening and (if possible) why. I had a cyst aspirated twice, removed once, went through one failed IUI and one successful IVF. Dr Young was our primary Doctor but we also interacted with Dr Dodds. I even got lab results from the doctor at 9 pm one weeknight. I felt valued as a patient and made to feel like a priority. Whenever I called with a question (billing or medical) my called was returned that same day, usually within an hour or two. The doctors and nurses also made sure to tell us about the free counseling they provide for their patients and the support groups they host. My husband and I felt well taken care of there and they made this whole experience a little better.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Amazing nursing staff
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Other
He [Dr. James Young] has been great. I have had multiple changes in my plan due to firbroids and cysts but he always has a great plan in place. I am currently doing multi-cycle IVF to try to collect as many eggs as possible due to my low AMH. I was worried about it at first but Dr. Young has explained everything.... One round of timed intercourse with menopur. Now multi-cycle IVF. First round we did 300 of Gonal F and Lupron. Second round will be 450 Gonal F and Lupron.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He has been great. I have had multiple changes in my plan due to firbroids and cysts but he always has a great plan in place. I am currently doing multi-cycle IVF to try to collect as many eggs as possible due to my low AMH. I was worried about it at first but Dr. Young has explained everything.
Just to trust the process and ask a lot of questions!
This was our first experience with the IVF process. He explained the entire process and has been very caring and understanding.
We had some issues in the beginning but it’s because my protocol changes a couple times.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strengths would be how much all of the staff care from the front desk staff, billing, nurses, and the doctors. There is also an IVF line where you can call if you are an IVF patient and there is someone there to answer your questions.
We are in the process currently.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Grand Rapids
Dr. Young was very patient with my many questions and made sure I knew exactly what to expect before moving on. He set up a road map of the steps we would take throughout our journey on our first meeting...We are now planning on laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis...Since I had already taken Clomid for 5 cycles we moved on to taking Femara on days 3-7 and taking Ovidrel on day 13 for 3 cycles. I also had an ultrasound on day 13 of each cycle to check on folicle production. The first cycle I had produced 3 large follicles, the 2nd only 2 good sized follicles and the 3rd, one good size and one small follicle.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Be open and completely honest with your goals.
They treated me as an individual and was knowledgable of my case.
Since I had already taken Clomid for 5 cycles we moved on to taking Femara on days 3-7 and taking Ovidrel on day 13 for 3 cycles. I also had an ultrasound on day 13 of each cycle to check on folicle production. The first cycle I had produced 3 large follicles, the 2nd only 2 good sized follicles and the 3rd, one good size and one small follicle. None of these cycles resulted in pregnancy. We are now planning on laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis.
The nursing staff was very informative and always returned my phone calls in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The doctors and nurses at this clinic are very knowledgable and helpful. Unfortunately, this clinic did not accept my insurance so many procedures were expensive.
Ultrasound visits cost around $170. Visits with the Doctor were $190.
2013 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
I was in denial that I even needed to see a specialist. But once I met with him [Dr. Young], he didn't make me feel like it was a bad thing that I needed him. I so much hope when I left our very first meeting. I truly felt that after 5 miscarriages at that time, that we were going to be parents with his help!...I took femara 5mg on cycle days 3-7. On CD 13 I had a follicle scan where they found a large follicle that they were very pleased with. I was then given a shot of ovidrel in the office. Was told to have intercourse two days later. We got pregnant on the first cycle
2013 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I was in denial that I even needed to see a specialist. But once I met with him, he didn't make me feel like it was a bad thing that I needed him. I so much hope when I left our very first meeting. I truly felt that after 5 miscarriages at that time, that we were going to be parents with his help!
Trust him!!
I felt like he cared specifically for me and not for money.
I took femara 5mg on cycle days 3-7. On CD 13 I had a follicle scan where they found a large follicle that they were very pleased with. I was then given a shot of ovidrel in the office. Was told to have intercourse two days later. We got pregnant on the first cycle and now have a healthy 2 yr old!
I felt very comfortable with the nurses. They knew that we had already been through so much heartache and made us feel at peace with the whole process.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have nothing bad to say about this office!
I thought they were much higher than they should have been. For a follicle scan...using the same exact machine as my ob does for an ultrasound, it was $184 not covered by insurance. And then, if you had to meet in the consult room for more than 5 min, it was another $68 I believe. For what we have already been through emotionally, I feel it was way over done.
2012
Anovulation, Other
Dr. Young was very thorough with reviewing things and coming up with a plan of treatment. He made sure our questions were answered and had good bedside manner. He was very kind and also presented all the facts.... t was discovered that I have hypothyroidism, so treatment began immediately for that. Since I was not ovulating, we planned to do 3 cycles with Femara and Ovidrel, and if those were unsuccessful, we would move on to discuss other options. An ultrasound was done during the cycle to see how many eggs there were, the basic quality, and to determine when to do the Ovidrel shot. The first cycle was unsuccessful. The second cycle resulted in a twin pregnancy.
2012
Anovulation, Other
Try not to lose hope.
The staff and Dr. Young were very caring and compassionate with every interaction.
It was discovered that I have hypothyroidism, so treatment began immediately for that. Since I was not ovulating, we planned to do 3 cycles with Femara and Ovidrel, and if those were unsuccessful, we would move on to discuss other options. An ultrasound was done during the cycle to see how many eggs there were, the basic quality, and to determine when to do the Ovidrel shot. The first cycle was unsuccessful. The second cycle resulted in a twin pregnancy.
The staff was wonderful. They were caring and answered any questions we had. They always showed respect.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic was easy to find, professional looking, had a good layout, and was clean. There were pictures of babies that had resulted from the clinic, which could be sensitive for some, but could be encouraging for others.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
He [Dr. James Young] seems to know his stuff yet didn’t make us feel super confident that we would get pregnant. When asked about further testing, he said there wasn’t much else they could do. He seems to care but we would appreciate more compassion... Clomid or femara Day 3-5 ultrasound Mid cycle ultrasound IUI day 12-15 Surgery to remove endometriosis No results
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He seems to know his stuff yet didn’t make us feel super confident that we would get pregnant. When asked about further testing, he said there wasn’t much else they could do. He seems to care but we would appreciate more compassion
Don’t expect compassion
I felt it was all about meds and pushing IVF. There wasn’t much compassion encouraging me that they could help
They were nice and explained everything
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It took a long time to get in to see a doctor. We waited 45 minutes to get into the doc on our first visit. When we got in, the nurses were great. It did not quite meet our expectations as we left feeling a bit discouraged as the main thing the doctor talked about was IVF
I think the clinic is average as to what other clinics cost. They did a good job of helping us find cheaper medication
Grand Rapids
He [Dr. James Young] has a very laid back personality. Did not meet with him every time, but I did not mind because the other doctors and nurses were very friendly and willing to help. I appreciate that the wait time to see him was not super long.... He is always friendly and on time.... I love how they have such a large staff that they are able to go along with my cycle instead of messing with it to fit their time line. I just wished that the 4 IUI's and the IVF round would have worked.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He has a very laid back personality. Did not meet with him every time, but I did not mind because the other doctors and nurses were very friendly and willing to help. I appreciate that the wait time to see him was not super long.
Be patient & try not to get overwhelmed by the process, and the needles. All the many needles.
He is always friendly and on time.
I was on so many, I do not remember. I know I took Clomid, Femara, Gonal F, Progesterone shots in oil, ovidril, and a few others I cannot remember the names of.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Due to my insurance not covering anything, I have paid over $20,000 so far, out of pocket, for our treatments,
He wanted to transfer multiple embryos, and so did we.