Available by cell phone
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684
3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend James Young to a friend?

5.8

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend The Fertility Center of Michigan to a friend?
Dr. Young gave us lots of advice on what treatment options to pursue first and what was best for us. He never judged us for pursuing fertility treatments in our early twenties. My health was always his #1 priority and he would take possible concerns seriously...He encouraged us to try options that were not as financially difficult since we were so young and had only tried clomid before meeting him. He made us feel like we had control over what treatments we would be doing, yet we knew he would not put us in a situation that did not make sense. His humor and social skills are a bit dry, but he is so smart and knows what he is doing. He took time to get to know us and made sure we left the office knowing exactly what to do and what to expect. For our IVF cycle, he would not add more treatments to our plan without asking us and explaining the benefits. We have always trusted Dr. Young to help us make the best decisions for us to start our family. Although we did not see him at every visit, he was always available via phone if needed.
I had my retrieval but was close to overstimulation, so my fresh transfer was cancelled [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...There are no words that could ever describe my love for the nursing staff...They are so compassionate and take the time to really explain our treatment plans. I have never left feeling overwhelmed or confused. They are so encouraging, yet realistic about what to expect. They have asked me what I expect and desire from them (blunt or straight to the point, talking it out vs. letting it sink in, etc). They truly are wonderful and so experienced.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young has always taken us seriously from our first meeting. He encouraged us to try options that were not as financially difficult since we were so young and had only tried clomid before meeting him. He made us feel like we had control over what treatments we would be doing, yet we knew he would not put us in a situation that did not make sense. His humor and social skills are a bit dry, but he is so smart and knows what he is doing. He took time to get to know us and made sure we left the office knowing exactly what to do and what to expect. For our IVF cycle, he would not add more treatments to our plan without asking us and explaining the benefits. We have always trusted Dr. Young to help us make the best decisions for us to start our family. Although we did not see him at every visit, he was always available via phone if needed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Trust that he will help you make the best decisions for your personal and unique situation. Also, that he may not seem as personable/warm in person, however his actions speak wonders of how much he cares and desires for his patients to start their families.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Although his social skills were a bit dry and awkward, Dr. Young gave us lots of advice on what treatment options to pursue first and what was best for us. He never judged us for pursuing fertility treatments in our early twenties. My health was always his #1 priority and he would take possible concerns seriously.
Describe the protocols James Young used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Dr. Young started me on metformin right away due to my pcos. I started at 1000mg and worked up to 1500mg. I continue to receive 6 month blood work checks for this med. When we first started at the fertility center, we had only tried 50mg, 100mg, and 150mg of clomid at our OBGYN. Dr Young suggested clomid along with metformin and ovidrel. We tried 100mg and 150mg, not timed intercourse with no success due to no follicle growth. He then suggested femara 7.5mg with ovidrel. I responded to that and tried that for a few months with timed intercourse. Eventually I did femara, ovidrel and IUI with no success for about 2 months. I then moved to injections (gonal f) and did this for a couple months with IUI with no success. When then decided on IVF. I had my retrieval but was close to overstimulation, so my fresh transfer was cancelled. Our frozen transfer is in October. Dr. Young told us after the first few months of IUIs, that we may need to look into IVF, but he never made us feel pressured to jump into it until we gave it a few more tries.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There are no words that could ever describe my love for the nursing staff at The Fertility Center. They are so compassionate and take the time to really explain our treatment plans. I have never left feeling overwhelmed or confused. They are so encouraging, yet realistic about what to expect. They have asked me what I expect and desire from them (blunt or straight to the point, talking it out vs. letting it sink in, etc). They truly are wonderful and so experienced.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everyone in the office, no matter the role, is friendly and compassionate. If you leave a message, they will get back with you in a timely manner. There is a lot that is not covered by most insurances, but that is not their fault personally, but it’s good to know going into it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My ultrasound and blood work was covered by insurance. IUIs were about $500-$600. And IVF cost roughly $9,000 with the extra cost of FET at $2,000 and meds around $3,000. Time lapse photography was around the upper hundreds to $1,000.
Describe James Young's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Dr. Young told us the benefits and pros/cons of transferring 2 vs. 1. He let us decided based on our preference after educating us on our options.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There was only one time that I had gotten a phone call from a nurse that was supposed to go over my instructions. I had previously met with a nurse at the clinic and had my instructions written down, the phone call was to go over them one last time. The nurse on the phone was giving me different instructions (lower dosage than prescribed and wrong timing). After I said I did not think that was accurate she stated “let me open your chart.” It was concerning that she had called to go over meds, but implied that my chart had never been open to begin with. I complained to the clinic at my next visit, as my instructions were for a new cycle of gonal f, which is expensive medication to have it not work for a cycle.
Grand Rapids

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan.

Dr. Young explained everything about our next steps in treatment in detail. He is straight to the point, but will answer any questions that you have. We never felt rushed in the appointment and were able to have all of our questions answered no matter how small it might be...He has so much knowledge...He discussed why previous treatments hadn’t worked and why he was recommending me to use oral medication and injectables. He discussed why my lab values and PCOS were affecting our fertility each month and how this new plan would help us overcome my medical issues. So far, I have not fallen pregnant, but I am positive that we will get the right treatment plan and positive pregnancy soon.
There are two nurses that I work with [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] every time I go into the office. They are both so compassionate and make me feel like they actually care about each cycle and helping us start our family. They help to explain the treatment plan from the doctor and answer any questions that I might have. I never feel rushed when I am in with my nurses...I don’t know if I have enough words to explain how much I have loved working with this clinic. The staff at the front desk remember me and my preferences, including that I like to pay my bill before I am seen, so that I can get back to work quicker. They are often running early for appointments. Everyone is friendly and caring and make me feel like I am being cared for every step of this journey. Scheduling is often quite easy with my work schedule. If I have to call and leave a message, someone is calling me back in less than an hour... This clinic has given me hope. Clinic Nps
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Have a list of questions ready to ask Dr. Young. He has so much knowledge and was able to answer questions I wasn’t able to find from “Dr. Google”
Dr. Young sat down with my husband and I and explained my treatments in detail and kept asking if we had any questions or concerns throughout the whole visit. He truly listened to us and what we were looking for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
There are two nurses that I work with every time I go into the office. They are both so compassionate and make me feel like they actually care about each cycle and helping us start our family. They help to explain the treatment plan from the doctor and answer any questions that I might have. I never feel rushed when I am in with my nurses.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have copays for every visit with the doctor. I often have $20-40 to pay after insurance for my ultrasounds/screen-scans. Medication has ranged from $10 per cycle to $175 per cycle after insurance.
Kalamazoo

Doctor Young took the time to explain everything in terms that both my husband and I would understand, even drawing pictures at times. He made sure that we both agreed and understood the plan going forward...He also gave us ways to increase our chances such as reduce alcohol use, exercise, eat well, etc... With that and my husband's low motility, he had us start with IUI, first having me take Femera so I would ovulate on time and possibly produce more then one egg, then going to an ultrasound to make sure an egg had formed, and then using ovidrel so they could time the IUI treatment even closer to ovulation.
Because the doctors [The Fert Ctr] rotate to their other offices, it isn't uncommon that you talk to all of them at one point or another. I personally think that is a good thing, because I feel like I get all of their expertise involved in my care. Everyone is very knowledgeable in what they do and they are able to make you feel like you have control going forward and they give you hope again.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He was very good at describing our treatment in easy to understand terms also providing pictures when necessary. He always made sure we understood before moving on to the next area. He took time to ask about what we do and got to know us a little bit and also joked around with us. It helped for us to both feel comfortable and we left feeling like we had some control over the situation again.
Doctor Young will go over everything you need but I think it is always good to know a little background on fertility treatments.
Doctor Young took the time to explain everything in terms that both my husband and I would understand, even drawing pictures at times. He made sure that we both agreed and understood the plan going forward and even took some time to get to know what we both do and joked with us. He made us feel comfortable during a tough discussion and made us feel like we had some small amount of control back.
Before we had met Dr. Young my obgyn had already had me try 4 rounds of clomid because of my irregular cycles. With that and my husband's low motility, he had us start with IUI, first having me take Femera so I would ovulate on time and possibly produce more then one egg, then going to an ultrasound to make sure an egg had formed, and then using ovidrel so they could time the IUI treatment even closer to ovulation. He also gave us ways to increase our chances such as reduce alcohol use, exercise, eat well, etc.
After my ultrasound the nurse sat down with me to do over the next steps for treatment. She made sure I was able to get the medicine I needed on time and that I understood what would happen going forward.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Because the doctors rotate to their other offices, it isn't uncommon that you talk to all of them at one point or another. I personally think that is a good thing, because I feel like I get all of their expertise involved in my care. Everyone is very knowledgeable in what they do and they are able to make you feel like you have control going forward and they give you hope again.
I don't remember the cost of the initial consultation appointment but the ultrasound and meet up with the nurse was around $250 and the actual IUI was $600. They gave me resources to get the ovidrel at a more reasonable cost, which was around $35.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Young is slightly deadpan in his delivery or information. If you’re looking for someone who will tell you his honest opinion, he definitely will. It was comforting to me that he would tell me his thoughts or what would be beat for our treatment instead of laying out all the options and having me decide.... Know that you will not see him at every appointment. The clinic works so that whichever doctor is available is the one that sees you. They are all extremely capable.
I liked all the staff [at The Fertility Ctr of MI], the early hours they were open for appointments, and that they offered a counselor for free to any of their patients. I was slightly disappointed that they close at 3:30, but I understand that they have calls to make to IVF patients at that time.... IVF with FET was 13,000 at the fertility center, 4,000 for meds (not including meds for FET), and 6,000 to do genetic testing with an outside location.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young did a thorough job explaining our options to me. He helped us come to a decision to go forward with IVF.
I am in the middle of my IVF cycle now, so I am not sure the results yet. But I have appreciated that the medicine they wanted me to buy was almost exactly what I needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Everyone was extremely thorough and compassionate. I felt well cared for through every interaction.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I liked all the staff, the early hours they were open for appointments, and that they offered a counselor for free to any of their patients. I was slightly disappointed that they close at 3:30, but I understand that they have calls to make to IVF patients at that time.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had an appointment scheduled for a SHG at 10am, but in the appointment calendar at the clinic it was in for 8am. They could see in their system that I had been scheduled for 10 to check in but for 8am in a room for the procedure. I showed up at 10, and they did find time to fit me in for my procedure. I was thankful they made it right.

2011 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
We have been seeing Dr Young since 2011. He has always taken his time with us, explaining every little detail. He remembers what my husband and I do for a living and what we do for fun. When we lost our daughter at 19 weeks, he called us and shared his condolences. When our last FET failed, he was just as confused and sad that it didn’t work and ordered tests to make sure he wasn’t missing anything before we attempt our last transfer. I may cry in our talks, but I always end up smiling by the time I leave his office.
[Fertility Center of MI's] Weakness: The cost. We have some insurance coverage for treatment (meds, labs, ultrasounds, etc) but the IUIs, Retrieval and FETs all come out of pocket for us. They have a Family Building Fund, but you only if you make less than a certain amount of income, so we don’t qualify for help. Strengths: Everything else. This long, almost 8 year journey that we are still on has been more bearable because of the kind and compassionate care that we have received from everyone in the office
2011 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
There is seriously nothing that My husband and I don’t like about Dr Young. He seems truly vested in us creating our family. When he is doing procedures he walks us through each step and often uses humor, which I appreciate. If there was one thing that I think needs to be improved upon is his handshake. It is very firm/confident and my husband always brings it up after our appts.
Tell him what your goals are and what your timeline is. He won’t make you rush into anything, but he will make sure that he looks into everything before suggesting major procedures
He was very patient with us. He put both my husband and I through testing, then we did some cycles on clomid. When those didnt work he ordered a hystosalpinogram to make sure my clear. When those weren’t successful, he suggested IUIs and we did 2-3 and when those weren’t successful he did laparoscopic surgery to see if there was anything getting in the way. We tried one more IUI before he suggested IVF with ICSI because of my husbands sperm issues
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie S, Julie M, and Ashley)
All of the nurses that I have interacted with have been amazing. Kind, caring, answering all of my questions and returning calls in an incredibly timely manner. They have made this whole journey incredibly more tolerable
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Over the course of our 8 year journey, we have probably spent close to $30,000 to $40,000 out of pocket
Dr Young had us transfer 2 each time and we were good with that. He always explained multiples were possible and the dangers of that, but the rewards out-weighed the risks for us
Kalamazoo

He [Dr. Young] asks personal real life questions. Not all “doctor” stuff. He sat with both my husband and I, and I didn’t feel “rushed”. It is genuine. He’s funny and kind. He talks about his life to so it’s a mutual connection. Humans need connection in life and he provides this. ... He gives guidance on what to change and his knowledge on how to move on to the next step when the last IUI’s failed. ...
When you walk in the front desk [Fertility Center of Michigan] is fast and to the point to get you signed in. ... My IUI that I had performed NOT by dr young was different then how he did it. ... So consistency was off. ... The nurses are thorough and let you know what the need you to do. They help you to relax and answer any questions you have. ... $500 for IUI ...
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
James is a good doctor. He explains the good and the bad. He gives guidance on what to change and his knowledge on how to move on to the next step when the last IUI’s failed. He has improved being relational sense 2014 vists.
Confident.
He asks personal real life questions. Not all “doctor” stuff. He sat with both my husband and I, and I didn’t feel “rushed”. It is genuine. He’s funny and kind. He talks about his life to so it’s a mutual connection. Humans need connection in life and he provides this.
First cycle- femara 2.5mg pills cycle day 3-7. Had four mature eggs. I have one daughter from this cycle. Sencond cycle I was put on femara 2.5mg cycle day 3-7 only produce ONE egg. We backed out of the IUI. Third cycle dr young bumped my femara as I only produced one egg last time using 5mg cycle day 3-7 and had four mature eggs. IUI failed Fourth cycle femara 7.5 cycle day 3-7 had four mature eggs. IUI failed.
Fun enjoyable nice kind knowledgeable
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
When you walk in the front desk is fast and to the point to get you signed in. The nurses are thorough and let you know what the need you to do. They help you to relax and answer any questions you have. One weakness is that one lady in my follow up ultrasound assumes that we had fresh sperm when we ONLY have frozen viles which made me question if she knew what she was doing and made me feel uneasey about having my IUI done. My IUI that I had performed NOT by dr young was different then how he did it. So that was odd. He put a sponge thing to hold in sperm and the other IUI did not have that. So consistency was off.
$500 for IUI

IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Young helped us understand the process and all of our options. We had a lot to learn about unexplained infertility and how to maximize our chances of achieving a successful pregnancy, and Dr. Young patiently helped us with that...Dr. Young suggested we consider using donor embryos...2 donor embryos we're thawed, only one survived the thaw. Dr. Young told us it was a very healthy embryo, so chances of implantation we're good. Unfortunately, the cycle ended in a negative pregnancy test. Dr. Young suggested we try another IVF cycle using donor embryos and select a donor with more embryos available. We are scheduled for a second donor embryo transfer in April.
The entire team of doctors, nurses and office staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are always willing to help with any questions or concerns we have. We feel well cared for and accommodated with every visit...All of the nurses we encountered were helpful in explaining everything (i.e. timelines, administration of medications, the "what ifs"). If we had a question, they would respond in a timely manner. When the cycles didn't have the outcome we hoped for, they were compassionate and sympathetic. We are extremely happy with the care they have provided thus far.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
When we first got married, we never imagined that it would be so difficult to have a baby. Dr. Young helped us understand the process and all of our options. We had a lot to learn about unexplained infertility and how to maximize our chances of achieving a successful pregnancy, and Dr. Young patiently helped us with that.
Trust in the process.
Dr. Young was very personable, informamativ, and professional throughout our entire journey so far. He has made us feel at ease and confident in his abilities. Although the process has been trying at times, we are glad that Dr. Young has been there to help us.
Dr. Young tried several different strategies and protocols throughout our journey. First, he tried 100mg of Clomid with Ovidril trigger shot, we attempted 3 cycles of this. Then we did a couple of cycles with Clomid, Follistim and Ovidril. None of these cycles resulted in pregnancy. Third, we attempted to do an IVF cycle using the luteal suppression protocol (Lupron and Gonal-F medications). Only one follicle matured, the cycle was cancelled. Since only one follicle matured with the first IVF cycle, Dr. Young recommended we attempt multi-cycle IVF. If he was able to retrieve one or two eggs each cycle, hopefully there would be enough embryos to transfer after the second or third retrieval. The first cycle of the multi-cycle IVF protocol ended up being cancelled due to no mature follicles. At that point Dr. Young suggested we consider using donor embryos. Because it was the most viable option for us financially at that point, we agreed. In January 2018, 2 donor embryos we're thawed, only one survived the thaw. Dr. Young told us it was a very healthy embryo, so chances of implantation we're good. Unfortunately, the cycle ended in a negative pregnancy test. Dr. Young suggested we try another IVF cycle using donor embryos and select a donor with more embryos available. We are scheduled for a second donor embryo transfer in April.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin Strouse)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The entire team of doctors, nurses and office staff are always willing to help with any questions or concerns we have. We feel well cared for and accommodated with every visit. We would like new patients to know that patience is important as they begin their infertility treatment. Also don't hesitate to ask questions even if they seem trivial.
Donor Embryo Transfer: Case Management Fee: $2,225.00 Bundled Fees (testing/screening/program maintenance, profile preparation, record review, MD evaluation, interdisciplinary ART meeting, appointment with Social Worker): $4,000.00 Vaginal Ultrasound: $295.00 Preparation of Cryopreserved Emryos: $1,000.00 Embryo Transfer: $1,025.00 Abdominal Ultrasound: $215.00 Medication: $500.00

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. James Young] evaluated my past before I came in and knew what tests to run to find the problem. He explains things in terms that we can understand... definitely took his time with us when we would meet to discuss plans. He didn’t rush us out of his office to get on to the next patient. He seems to care about his patients and their past...resulted in 4 eggs retrieved, one embryo frozen (Grade 3). About to start another cycle with same meds but add clomid on day one. We will be doing PGD testing which is why we froze the one embryo.
They [the nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] know the protocols and if they were unsure how to proceed they would always let me know they would ask the Dr and let me know that day. I always knew what was happening. If I had any questions they would explain everything very well...Paid $10,500 for first cycle and $3000 for the next 2 (multi cycle discount up to 3 cycles). Medications cost $130 for first cycle.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
At first he seemed quiet and I wasn’t sure what to think of him, but towards the end of our first appointment I knew he was very good at his job just by what he was explaining to us. He evaluated my past before I came in and knew what tests to run to find the problem. He explains things in terms that we can understand.
Ask questions if you are unsure.
I feel like Dr. Young definitely took his time with us when we would meet to discuss plans. He didn’t rush us out of his office to get on to the next patient. He seems to care about his patients and their past.
First cycle used fermara only. Resulted in a pregnancy that ended at 16.5 weeks, no reason found. Second cycle used 375 Gonal F And 75 menopur for about 9 days (ganirelix and HCG shot towards the end also) resulted in 4 eggs retrieved, one embryo frozen (Grade 3). About to start another cycle with same meds but add clomid on day one. We will be doing PGD testing which is why we froze the one embryo.
They know the protocols and if they were unsure how to proceed they would always let me know they would ask the Dr and let me know that day. I always knew what was happening. If I had any questions they would explain everything very well.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Organized, helpful, compassionate workers. Front desk staff very helpful and work with your schedule. So far my experience has only been good there. They get you in quickly and there isn’t much of a wait at any appointment.
My insurance covers all ultrasounds and 4 estrogen blood draws a month. Paid $10,500 for first cycle and $3000 for the next 2 (multi cycle discount up to 3 cycles). Medications cost $130 for first cycle. Office visits were covered by my insurance.
The Dr. seems to want to transfer 2 for our case as I have trouble carrying them so the hope is that at least one will stick.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Young (and other doctors at this office) have always treated me well. They listen to my questions and concerns and address them wuth kindness, patience and understanding. I can't imagine going through this with any other doctor.... He has a dry sense of humor which always makes me smile. He and his wife also went through fertility treatments which give a better understanding of what a patient is going through.
This clinic [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] is amazing. They go above and beyond to communicate with patients and ensure quailty care. Infertility is difficult, and the staff at this clinic make it bearable. One weakness is that certain appointments can only be scheduled at certain a time of day, which is not always convenient.... A round of IUI was generally atounf $1,500 and IVF was around $9,000. You can apply for the Assured program, which costs around $19,000 and you get up to 3 IVF cycles, if they are all unsuccessful you get almost all of your money back.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young is kind and understanding. He has a dry sense of humor which always makes me smile. He and his wife also went through fertility treatments which give a better understanding of what a patient is going through.
Ask questions. He likes Ohio State, so you have to look past that flaw. (Go Blue!)
Early on, we used a medication that had the opposite affect on my system, this was adjusted for the next cycle. This was more successful. It's difficult to remember all of the things we have done. Dr. Young was always very honest with us. I felt that he gave us all the facts and helped us to make decisions based on our personal case.
I love the nursing staff. They are very knowledge and go the extra mile to make sure patients are fully prepared throughout the process.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This clinic is amazing. They go above and beyond to communicate with patients and ensure quailty care. Infertility is difficult, and the staff at this clinic make it bearable. One weakness is that certain appointments can only be scheduled at certain a time of day, which is not always convenient.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Young is definitely very wise and I felt I could trust him with our treatments. Personally, I feel like his bedside manners could improve a little. He is very kind and thorough, but somewhat awkward at times. I felt like I had to push treatment changes when things didn't work but that's also largely a part of my personality. He always explained things in an easy-to-understand way.... I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course.
Strengths [Fertility Center of MI]: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.... Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Keep in mind that although he can come off a little quiet or awkward at times, I do believe he has plenty of wisdom and experience to handle direct treatment courses. I'm still undergoing treatment (more aggressive, I'll add) so I'm very curious to see how my thoughts on him will change, if at all!
Dr. Young is very kind and remembered some minor details about my previous cycles, which I really appreciated.
I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course. I was also thankful to move on to Gonal-F for IUI #4, though my dose was small (75iu nightly). I actually responded with fewer follicles than on 5mg Femara. My 5th and final IUI, we tried a higher dose of Follistim (125iu) and I responded very well! Almost too well: 6 follicles. I'm very glad my clinic was upfront and honest with me about the risks and let me make that decision alongside of them. We still went for that IUI and it was a negative, but I feel very good about that last shot IUI: we tried our best and I feel much more comfortable moving forward with IVF, especially since I've gotten comfortable with injections.
Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana. She is SO good at what she does and is insanely sweet and compassionate! I plan on requesting her for all my future scans, when possible.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.
I have zero fertility coverage besides 50% coverage for meds (which I realized was truly nothing since most pharmacies have an agreement and give women who are completely out of pocket a discount, so my med coverage didn't really do anything). Specifically with my clinic, a semen analysis was around $130. IUI including the sperm wash was $500. Most ultrasounds/appointments were in the $100 range, depending on your coverage, of course.
We are just about to start our first IVF cycle with Dr. Young, so I can't speak about embryo transfers yet. But, I did trigger and have an IUI with 6 follicles and they were very straightforward and honest with me about the risks. You could tell it was very important to them that I knew what I was doing.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
He [Dr. Young] was very informative, but yet described things in ways we understood easily. We felt he genuinely cared about our situation. We never felt rushed, and he calmly took all the time we needed during our appointments. After the loss of one of our babies, Dr. Young gave us hugs and was professional and also emotional right along with us...
I have never been anywhere where everyone was so friendly and happy. We love that they were always willing to work with our schedules and greeted us by name upon arrival. They offered us beverages as well as a shoulder to cry on. They prayed with us and celebrated with us. We love our TFC family!...everything was always broke down for us and we were able to make payments that worked for us
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is a caring and friendly person. He gave us hope, when our success rate was so low. He took all the time we needed, and never made us feel rushed. We didn't feel like we were at a typical medical facility, we felt like we were being treated by friends or family.
Never ever give up hope, miracles do happen and Dr. Young can help you get closer to your dream.
From the moment we met him, he was warm and kind. He was very informative, but yet described things in ways we understood easily. We felt he genuinely cared about our situation. We never felt rushed, and he calmly took all the time we needed during our appointments. After the loss of one of our babies, Dr. Young gave us hugs and was professional and also emotional right along with us. He talked to us about the power of prayer, which meant the world to us. We felt like family and not just another patient.
Our infertility journey started 12 years ago. We dealt with several different doctors before hearing about Dr. Young. We have gone through countless rounds of clomid, pills, shots, tests, procedures surgeries...you name it. Nothing worked. We had given up all hope until we met Dr. Young. He convinced us to try one more time, and that one more time led us to our son!
They were so sweet. Greeted us at the door with a smile, and showed great compassion in our sorrow. They celebrated us when we achieved pregnancy. They were wonderful!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It was pretty expensive, but the costs were less than we had assumed. Although I cannot remember the exact costs, everything was always broke down for us and we were able to make payments that worked for us.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
The way the clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] runs, I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. ...Dr. Young is very intelligent and explained everything slowly and in depth, answering all questions. He used evidence based information and cited/provided studies. He’s not the warm and fuzzy type but I don’t need that in a provider. My main critique would be for more follow through from Dr. Young himself but I also understand that’s not possible with how the office is run.
The way the clinic runs [Fertility Center of Michigan], I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. ... I was able to start treatment the day of my consultation. The staff is caring and kind and mostly runs on time. They do not batch patients and office runs 7 days a week. It would be nice if there were more morning appointment times for ultrasounds, they also need a program for those paying out of pocket. Only have assured program which many don’t qualify for.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young is very intelligent and explained everything slowly and in depth, answering all questions. He used evidence based information and cited/provided studies. He’s not the warm and fuzzy type but I don’t need that in a provider. My main critique would be for more follow through from Dr. Young himself but I also understand that’s not possible with how the office is run. I always hear from the nurses who are wonderful but don’t always receive the details I want.
He will do everything he can to customize the protocols to your needs and to meet your requests. While he isn’t the warm and fuzzy type, he’s professional, intelligent, and experienced. I would suggest to anyone to bring a list of questions to a consult and i my experience he was happy to explain discuss all my questions and concerns.
The way the clinic runs, I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. The IVF nurses are my main contact. I would feel more supported If I had more contact with Dr. Young and received more follow up.
I did 2 rounds of clomid and 4 with femara doing timed intercourse, followed by 3 IUI’s with femara (none with injectables d/t lack of insurance coverage. Currently undergoing micro flare IVF. Microdose lupron with gonal -f. I have DOR.
The staff is wonderful, usually runs on time, good communicators and are very caring. They do their best to have my primary nurse see me and call.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUI -$500 without meds IVF >$10,000 not including ultrasound, blood draws, HSG, Mock embryo transfer, and meds meds are usually $3,000-$6,000 each US about $250 each E2 $115 each progesterone draw $115.
I haven’t transferred yet, but the office provides information with studies on the topic and Dr. Young discussed it at length in the consultation as well as the IVF nurse in the prep prior to starting IVF.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I really liked him [Dr. James Young] in the beginning. He spent a lot of time with me and my husband. Then as I mentioned, I didn't see him once we started our 3 month treatment plan. And after 3 failed months of Femara, trigger shot and IUI's I haven't been back. Decided to take a small break then try again. They said we would meet with the doctor again for a new plan of action. But after my 3rd failed month and now 4 months since then, not one person or nurse has ever called to check on us and see if we wanted to make our next appointment and get a new treatment plan going. That's when I went from feeling human to feeling like a number. No one cares I guess, that's what it feels like. Just pay your bill and if you come back you come back. Ugh!
They have a good track record and doctors. That's why I went and will go again. They are close to me and well known. I trust them even though I have sometimes felt like a number. They know what they're doing so I can remove myself emotionally. It's expensive and you may leave feeling worse then when you started! I was so confused when one month I couldn't even have an IUI. I didn't even know that was an option. So make sure to ask lots of questions because some information was left out of our discussions because I'm assuming they thought I just knew.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I really liked him in the beginning. He spent a lot of time with me and my husband. Then as I mentioned, I didn't see him once we started our 3 month treatment plan. And after 3 failed months of Femara, trigger shot and IUI's I haven't been back. Decided to take a small break then try again. They said we would meet with the doctor again for a new plan of action. But after my 3rd failed month and now 4 months since then, not one person or nurse has ever called to check on us and see if we wanted to make our next appointment and get a new treatment plan going. That's when I went from feeling human to feeling like a number. No one cares I guess, that's what it feels like. Just pay your bill and if you come back you come back. Ugh!
Dot set deadlines when you'll be pregame. You'll just disappointed when it comes and go's. Be expectant but informed. Really ask all your questions and understand to your best during your first appointments. As I guess you're not guaranteed to see your doctor for awhile.
I didn't feel like a number initially. I saw Dr. Young in the beginning then for all my ultrasounds and IUI's I did now see him! Kind of crazy to me. After 3 failed months on Femara, 2 months I had failed IUI's and 1 month I couldn't do IUI because they think I ovulated early or late. But I never saw or spoke with Dr. Young once the treatment plan started. I don't like that.
I guess I'm not certain. Just that he said Femara and IUI was his opinion what was best for me during our first 3 month treatment plan. He said we would do 3 month treatment plans and if they didn't work we would re-visit and come up with the next plan. I did my research as well, but mostly trust his expert opinions.
They didn't do a bad job. Just did their job. Just went through the motions and wished me licked every time. Like ok see you next time. No big deal that I had 3 months of expensive failed treatments. They did well, nothing exceptional
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think it was around $200-250 just every time I stepped in the office. Which some appointments were not even necessary and could have take place with a phone call or email! We paid for mid-cycle ultrasounds and IUI's (separate cost for both my husband & I). Some appointments I paid for we're frustrating because like I mentioned, they weren't necessary and I left with no new information or the appointment was like 10 mins. Every single thing was a different cost. And I felt like some things my doctor could have provided under insurance. Like certain testing that was done in the very beginning. Like bliss work and ultrasounds. Being I had 3 miscarriages already, shouldn't my normal doctors have already done all the testing, blood work and ultrasounds? Why did it take 3 miscarriage and the fertility center and 5 years for me to be diagnosed with recurrent miscarriage and factor 5?! That's crazy to me

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
I felt like he actually knew about my history when he came in to see me for appointments, for the retrievals, and for the transfer. He took into account my diminished ovarian reserve and poor response to my first IVF (with another doctor) when recommending a protocol. He recommended doing a multi-cycle IVF to freeze as many embryos as possible before doing a transfer. I received a phone call from him after my positive HCG test, prior to my appointment. I received a phone call one evening from the nurse practitioner because she was "thinking about me" and wanted to suggest opening a different vial of medication because I might not need as much.
The clinic [The Fertility Center] had short waits. The longest I waited was 20 minutes. The office staff was helpful. The retrievals and transfer were performed at the clinic in Grand Rapids. It was nice to be taken care of by the actual clinic staff, rather than at a Surgi-Center. The clinic allows acupuncturists come in to perform an acupuncture treatment before and after the transfer.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young is very to the point and honest. He (indirectly) validated my concerns with my first doctor. Dr. Young answered all of my questions. He has a relaxed and calm demeanor, which was beneficial during the stress of fertility treatments! My husband felt very comfortable with Dr. Young and his course of treatment.
Ask questions, like you would with any doctor.
A multi-cycle IVF was recommended based on my AMH (1.16) and poor response to my first IVF (with a different clinic). I was NOT placed on birth control prior to beginning the cycle, which allowed my body to dictate the timeline. He recommended less medication. We paid a flat rate for 3 retrievals and 1 transfer. I was on Clomid for 5 days, and then I began Gonal-F (dosage dependent on follicles). My first retrieval resulted in 6 embryos. My second retrieval resulted in 8 embryos. We did not do a 3rd retrieval, as I had a good amount of embryos already. We did a Day 3 frozen transfer of 2 embryos. I am currently pregnant with a singleton. I had a second sac; however, it did not develop past 5 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie )
Everyone was friendly and helpful. I got to know many of the staff throughout my visits. I felt like they cared about their patients. After each follicle monitoring, I met with a nurse practitioner or other care coordinator to discuss my plan. I received a phone call later that day, if anything changed. It was nice to meet with a person face-to-face rather than only speak to someone on the phone.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic had short waits. The longest I waited was 20 minutes. The office staff was helpful. The retrievals and transfer were performed at the clinic in Grand Rapids. It was nice to be taken care of by the actual clinic staff, rather than at a Surgi-Center. The clinic allows acupuncturists come in to perform an acupuncture treatment before and after the transfer.
IVF reserve spot: $1500 Multi-cycle IVF rate: $11,000 (3 retrievals, if needed, 1transfer) Anesthesia: $400 (x2) Ultrasounds: $283 per Bloodwork (some was covered by insurance- bloodwork done off-site at Kalamazoo office): $8 per Total without medication: $16,089
We were given information to help us make a decision. 1-2 were recommended, and we decided to do 2.

Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Young has always seemed to be very knowledgeable. He could be considered slightly awkward; he is pretty soft spoken. But he is honest, notices and acknowledges when things are or could be tough for my husband and I. He is very encouraging and positive and does take his time with each of us when we meet.... We started with cheaper and less invasive and then worked our way up. But he listened when we wanted to either slow the process or amp it up. He wanted us to be comfortable and confident and as relaxed as we can be on this journey.
All of the nurses [at The Fertility Center of MI] are great. Each doctor has a couple nurses for treatments that aren't ivf, and a nurse specifically for ivf. Everyone seems to work super well together and I have always felt like I have gotten very personal care and that they genuinely want what is best for us.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Look past his slight awkward quietness. He is kind and knowledgeable. Plus at this clinic, all the doctors seem to work together on things. I have been confident in all of his directions and direction changes that he has made for us. They made sense and we saw results.
He is patient and thorough. He also seems to be pretty perceptive and tries to have good, as normal as possible conversations along with the "work" discussions.
He explained all our options, gave his opinion on direction, and we took his advice. He adjusted accordingly when needed. We started with cheaper and less invasive and then worked our way up. But he listened when we wanted to either slow the process or amp it up. He wanted us to be comfortable and confident and as relaxed as we can be on this journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie S)
All of the nurses are great. Each doctor has a couple nurses for treatments that aren't ivf, and a nurse specifically for ivf. Everyone seems to work super well together and I have always felt like I have gotten very personal care and that they genuinely want what is best for us.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is rough sometimes with scheduleing for multiple reasons that unfortunately are managed as best they can be. We have almost no otger options for fertility treatment centers; these doctors work together at multiple locations hours apart. They do the best they can. And by the time you are coming to see them, you are willing to make your schedule wprk with thiers.
Over the last 2 years and multiple cycles of differing attempts, we've spent about $13,000
Based on what he already knew of our religious beliefs, this was only briefly discussed.
Kalamazoo

He [Dr. Young] poorly described the steps of our treatment. I...After our miscarriage - I wasn't contacted to talk about next steps...We sat down with Dr. Young and he quickly went through what we would do for treatment by scribbling upside down on a sheet of paper. He didn't talk about success rates or what might be causing us to not conceive naturally... I was actually more confused leaving the office... They don't always listen to you...
Weaknesses. 1. They [The Fertility Center] don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage, I had to explain to the nurse why I was having a blood draw after coming in for my 6 week appointment and them not being able to find a heartbeat and tell her my HCG levels were dropping not increasing meaning I was going to miscarry. 2. They don't always listen to you....
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He poorly described the steps of our treatment. I knew more from friends who had been in our shoes than I did from our one visit with him. After our miscarriage - I wasn't contacted to talk about next steps.
Treat me like a person dealing with infertility, not someone who is paying you and try to get me out of the office as fast as possible.
We sat down with Dr. Young and he quickly went through what we would do for treatment by scribbling upside down on a sheet of paper. He didn't talk about success rates or what might be causing us to not conceive naturally. I had a couple friends who had been through what we were about to embark on. I knew more about the process from them than I learned from Dr. Young. I was actually more confused leaving the office. Luckily the nurses and schedulers were very helpful when scheduling appointments and telling me what I needed to do next. Additionally, we did an IUI which was successful, but then miscarried. We had to see a different doctor the day we found out we were having a miscarriage. Since then I haven't heard anything from Dr. Young (or the doctor we saw when we learned we were having a miscarriage) about our next steps. I feel like they only care about the money we pay for services, aside from that, they have no vested interest in their patients.
Some of the staff have been ok to work with. They answer questions and can read lab results. However, the day I called to get the results of my bloodwork - after coming in and finding out we may be having a miscarriage the nurse read me my HCG levels and told me everything looked great. Luckily, I knew where my levels should be if I were pregnant. I had to tell the nurse that my levels should be about 100x what they were. I told her this was a new round of HCG testing and that I originally had my levels done two weeks prior. She told me she thought this was my second reading, which I had to tell her it wasn't. She then asked me why I was having my hcg tested again - in which i had to TELL HER, while trying to hold it together, that I had come in for my 6 week appointment that morning and they couldn't find a heartbeat. She was frazzled and told me she understood and in that case I was indeed having a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strength is that they will try to get you in as soon as possible and have early morning appointments for those who work full-time. Weaknesses. 1. They don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage. 2. They don't always listen to you. I was certain I would ovulate on a Friday or Saturday and thought doing an IUI the following Monday would be too late, the nurse acted like I was crazy to think I would ovulate that soon and told me to take my injection Saturday PM. I again told her I was sure I would ovulate sooner, again she told me it was highly unlikely and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about, but told me to do OPK's so I would know. Sure enough I got a positive OPK the following day of my appoitment, a Friday morning. And got scheduled for an IUI that Saturday. If I hadn't known my body and been adament I may have wasted a ton of money on an IUI 2 days later than I needed it. My IUI I was able to get that Saturday morning was Successful! You don't really have any other options in the Grand Rapids area, unless you want to drive to Lansing, but the amount of appointments required makes that hard to do if you live in Greater GR.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Weaknesses. 1. They don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage, I had to explain to the nurse why I was having a blood draw after coming in for my 6 week appointment and them not being able to find a heartbeat and tell her my HCG levels were dropping not increasing meaning I was going to miscarry. 2. They don't always listen to you. I was certain I would ovulate on a Friday or Saturday and thought doing an IUI the following Monday would be too late, the nurse acted like I was crazy to think I would ovulate that soon and told me to take my injection Saturday PM. I again told her I was sure I would ovulate sooner, again she told me it was highly unlikely and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about, but told me to do OPK's so I would know. Sure enough I got a positive OPK the following day of my appoitment, a Friday morning. And got scheduled for an IUI that Saturday. If I hadn't known my body and been adament I may have wasted a ton of money on an IUI 2 days later than I needed it. My IUI I was able to get that Saturday morning was Successful!
Grand Rapids

If you want a doctor who is knowledgeable and confident he is the doctor for you. If you want someone to make you feel warm and fuzzy, not so much.... He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal. ...It was males based infertility so Dr. Young wanted to start off with a less aggressive treatment...At first I found him to be kind of cold but very informative. He told my husband and I the facts and didn't sugar coat. I like warm people, but when spending the kind of money we were about to and the emotional ride we about to get on I preferred having confidence in my chosen doctors ability and he gave me that 10 fold.
[Nursing Staff at The Fertility Center] They were very helpful and always available to answer any questions we had. They were not always warm which sometimes was hard because with all of the hormones I had surging through me I could have used a little more warmth from them... $14,000 ICSI and time lapse photography were all part of the cost....I had a bad fall shortly after becoming pregnant thought IVF. I called the clinic to ask what I should do and they patched us through to Dr. Young on a Sunday night. He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal.
If you want a doctor who is knowledgeable and confident he is the doctor for you. If you want someone to make you feel warm and fuzzy, not so much. I had a bad fall shortly after becoming pregnant thought IVF. I called the clinic to ask what I should do and they patched us through to Dr. Young on a Sunday night. He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal. He understands that this is hard and scary and he doesn't down play that. I felt like it was very important for my husband to feel comfortable with the Doctor we chose as much as I did, and he thought Dr. Young was fantastic. Gave him a lot of peace of mind.
At first I found him to be kind of cold but very informative. He told my husband and I the facts and didn't sugar coat. I like warm people, but when spending the kind of money we were about to and the emotional ride we about to get on I preferred having confidence in my chosen doctors ability and he gave me that 10 fold. As time went on and we moved from IUI to IVF he became more involved and was available for questions and concerns and made me feel very important.
It was males based infertility so Dr. Young wanted to start off with a less aggressive treatment. My husband and I started with a round of IUI and were unsuccessful but Dr. Young encouraged us to try at least 3 before moving on to IVF. We did two rounds of IUI and then decided to do IVF. We did a 2 month protocol (the long protocol) and had success.
$14,000 ICSI and time lapse photography were all part of the cost.
Grand Rapids

He [Dr. Young] is the best. Everyone at the clinic is. They actually care and love what they do. His demeanor and nature are both funny, honest, informative and direct...Dr. Young was always honest and realistic from day 1. After 4 failed attempts, he suggested I have a fibroid and a polyp removed. He did the procedure and in less than 2 months, I was pregnant. I consider him to be very intelligent as well as kind, hopeful, really funny and caring. Considering how invasive all the tests & procedures are, his demeanor is top notch. I always felt at ease.
I can't think of anything to improve on at the [The Fertility Center of Michigan] clinic. All of the staff are wonderful. They seem to care and enjoy what they do. I used a donor and I never once felt judged for that. All of the nurses were compassionate and helpful. My questions were always answered and my scrips filled on time. Scheduling was easy & usually very convenient with my work schedule.they are all very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. They all know that time is of the essence
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is honest, caring, determined, open and very funny. He is not afraid to be emotional either, as I personally experienced. Dr. Young was always honest and realistic from day 1. After 4 failed attempts, he suggested I have a fibroid and a polyp removed. He did the procedure and in less than 2 months, I was pregnant. I consider him to be very intelligent as well as kind, hopeful, really funny and caring. Considering how invasive all the tests & procedures are, his demeanor is top notch. I always felt at ease. When it was time to transition to my OB, we had an exit interview. We both got emotional. You don't expect that from your Dr. I went back after the birth of my son, so he could meet our miracle :)
be prepared to listen, trust and do everything that he tells you
He is the best. Everyone at the clinic is. They actually care and love what they do. His demeanor and nature are both funny, honest, informative and direct.
IUI 2 and 3 were a combo of Femara and Ovidrel - didn't work IUI 4, 5 and 6 we switched to injections of Gonal F and Ovidrel. #6 worked. The rationale for being aggressive was because I started the process at age 39. I eventually conceived at 41.
I can't think of anything to improve on at the clinic. All of the staff are wonderful. They seem to care and enjoy what they do. I used a donor and I never once felt judged for that. All of the nurses were compassionate and helpful. My questions were always answered and my scrips filled on time. Scheduling was easy & usually very convenient with my work schedule.they are all very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. They all know that time is of the essence
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
there is a wait every time you go but that is to be expected...They are pretty much the only game in town.
every treatment was around $1500 including visits, tests, drugs, etc.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Young was very thorough in explaining everything to us in a way we would understand. He breaks everything down so we know exactly what we will be dealing with. He knows what the end goal for us is and is helping us do whatever it takes to get there.... We did quite a few rounds of fertility medications, one round of injectable and two IUI treatments. All were unsuccessful so now we must move on to IVF.
The clinics strengths are that they [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] have a very professional and supportive staff. From the receptionist to the nurses and doctors, everyone is there for a common purpose of helping couples achieve pregnancy....All of the nurses at the clinic are very professional and so friendly. They understand the sensitive nature of their job so it is so great that they try to be positive for their patients (when it is sometimes hard for the patient themselves to be positive).
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Tell him everything you want to get out of your time at the clinic and express all concerns and fears.
Dr. Young gave us his undivided attention when addressing all of our concerns and fears.
We did quite a few rounds of fertility medications, one round of injectable and two IUI treatments. All were unsuccessful so now we must move on to IVF. Dr. Young gave many chances to get pregnant before having to move to the most invasive and expensive treatment.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinics strengths are that they have a very professional and supportive staff. From the receptionist to the nurses and doctors, everyone is there for a common purpose of helping couples achieve pregnancy.
I cannot remember exact costs of certain treatments but I do know part of the ultrasounds have been covered by our insurance. There is an office visit cost as well. All medications are out of pocket. The billing dept is pretty easy to deal with and you can make payments on your account.

2016 - 2019
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
He [Dr. Young] was kind but always straight to the point- which is what I wanted. He always gave his advice and allowed us time to process it and make the best decisions for us ... My situation was unexplainable infertility . Started with clomid 3 rounds - then took a break - 3 more rounds - then chlomid with injections 3 rounds - sperm test - 3 rounds IUI - then IVF ...
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are typically always on time . Quick, knowledgeable and understanding it’s an emotional journey . Billing lady is a little defensive. I’m sure she deals with a lot of people questioning their bill. However, if you call and ask her anything just expect her to sound annoyed with you and quick to defend herself rather then listen to you. ... [nursing staff] Always kind and efficient
2016 - 2019
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is black and white. I never felt like he just wanted our money. He educated us and told us his recommendation. His recommendation was typically the fastest route to a baby which is what we wanted. He didn’t make us try everything and waste all our money. He was specific with our situation.
He is not their to console you. Appreciate his knowledge and take his advice.
He was kind but always straight to the point- which is what I wanted. He always gave his advice and allowed us time to process it and make the best decisions for us.
Everyone’s situation is different. My situation was unexplainable infertility . Started with clomid 3 rounds - then took a break - 3 more rounds - then chlomid with injections 3 rounds - sperm test - 3 rounds IUI - then IVF
Always kind and efficient
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are typically always on time . Quick, knowledgeable and understanding it’s an emotional journey . Billing lady is a little defensive. I’m sure she deals with a lot of people questioning their bill. However, if you call and ask her anything just expect her to sound annoyed with you and quick to defend herself rather then listen to you.
Expensive. I don’t know exacts , lucky my insurance at the time covered some ultrasounds . I paid around $100 a visit $8,000+ in Meds $10,000 in treatments
I’m not sure my doctors approach ... he recommended to put two in. I did and after 4 embryos I have a healthy baby boy
Grand Rapids

Respectful, honest, and open. [Dr. Young] Answered all my questions. ... Wrote notes out for me, assisted me in coming up with the best plan. Gave me assurance when I had crazy questions and explained things to me in a way I could understand. Was real about my situation, allowed me to do things in my own timeline. Was available by phone. ... Glad I transferred 2 embryos. With the cost and my age. ...
More access to clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] by phone or email. Some of the treatment is time sensitive. Once I ran out of progesterone shots and some things were not early explained in advance by nurse staff. Just making sure Ivf prtocal is very well explained including pharmacy and injection information ... Nursing staff did not call in prescriptions timely on multiple occasions ...All the docs at the clinic I saw treated me kindly and with respect.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Respectful, honest, and open. Answered all my questions. Wouldn’t have a growing family without him. Wrote notes out for me, assisted me in coming up with the best plan. Gave me assurance when I had crazy questions and explained things to me in a way I could understand. Was real about my situation, allowed me to do things in my own timeline. Was available by phone.
Stay positive. Trust the process!
All the docs at the clinic I saw treated me kindly and with respect. This process was confusing and heartbreaking and I wouldn’t be pregnant with twins right now without these physicians. I support and respect all 4 of them.
Started with blood testing, hormones, etc, semen analysis. Moved in to fertility drugs, moved in to iuis, moved in to hsg and sono, removes uterine polyps and proceeded with one last iui before moving in to Ivf. Ivf was very successful for me. Currently 8 months pregnant with boy/girl
Most were compassionate and sometimes they wouldn’t answer or call back right away. Ivf nurses were better
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
More access to clinic by phone or email. Some of the treatment is time sensitive. Once I ran out of progesterone shots and some things were not early explained in advance by nurse staff. Just making sure Ivf prtocal is very well explained including pharmacy and injection information
Glad I transferred 2 embryos. With the cost and my age.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Nursing staff did not call in prescriptions timely on multiple occasions

2012 - 2016
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Young was great, he didn’t sugar coat anything, and gave us options without making us “spend money”. He was very personable, and easy to follow. Great doctor!... He described our scenario to us, using drawings to better describe and understand. While using others as examples, and what we could or should do with all of our options.... The whole team at the Fertility Center were fantastic. We always felt welcomed, and not just another number. Clean, and organized, as with well put together rooms. From the waiting room, to the clinician rooms, everything was well put together.
The whole team at the Fertility Center were fantastic. We always felt welcomed, and not just another number. Clean, and organized, as with well put together rooms. From the waiting room, to the clinician rooms, everything was well put together.... I wish there would have been more options for financial help/care. You paid before you left, and could not be billed. Cost were a average with other clinics.... Most of the nurses were warm, knowledgeable and helpful.
2012 - 2016
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Go for it! Don’t wait, or hesitate. We waited, in fear of answers, but didn’t need to. Wish we would have went in sooner!
They were thorough, but busy as most nurses are.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Doctors, and atmosphere were great strengths. Most of the nurses were warm, knowledgeable and helpful. There was a nurse or 2 that were a little Flustered and overwhelmed. They seems rushed, and not very helpful with questions. The nurse phone line is always hard to get to. You have to wait for a call back.
We were told that with our age, and fertility issues on both sides, we should do a multiple embryo transfer.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
There was 1 time we didn’t get an appointment schedule correctly, and had to come at a different time.

2012 - 2015
Dr. Young was very thorough with telling us our options and the risks and chances we had with conception. He always seemed up-to-date with the technology and techniques. He was warm and helpful to both me and my husband ... He was very personable and we felt like we were the most important patient when were sitting in front of him. ... At first he seems to be very serious and to the point, but he warms up the more you see him.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] don't make you wait in the waiting room for too long. .... They were all compassionate and knew that it was a tough time for us. They explained everything in detail. They were very professional. ... The only problem I had was a patient and her husband had their 2 year old with them and they stood in the waiting room looking at new ultrasound pictures showing a pregnancy. ... While it wasn't the fault of the clinic totally, I wish they did something to either keep it away from patients who are sensitive or remind the patients that there are still sensitive patients.
2012 - 2015
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young was very thorough with telling us our options and the risks and chances we had with conception. He always seemed up-to-date with the technology and techniques. He was warm and helpful to both me and my husband.
That he is a good doctor. At first he seems to be very serious and to the point, but he warms up the more you see him.
I don't remember. I do remember that there were a few things changes from the first retrieval cycle and the second.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They don't make you wait in the waiting room for too long. The only problem I had was a patient and her husband had their 2 year old with them and they stood in the waiting room looking at new ultrasound pictures showing a pregnancy. It was great for them but I was waiting in the waiting area for the nurse to take me back for my 4th embryo transfer. While it wasn't the fault of the clinic totally, I wish they did something to either keep it away from patients who are sensitive or remind the patients that there are still sensitive patients.
Drugs, ultrasounds, transfer, retrieval.
2011 - 2015
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Dr. Young was so easy to talk to. He was understanding, and right to the point. Just what we needed.... Although we didn’t see him on every visit, he was very good at consulting us when needed, and setting a good plan. He explained all options and left us with our choice, and opinion on how to proceed.... After 5 IUI attempts, with clomid we then tried injections. After 2 rounds we decided (Dr. Young) that IVF would be our next option.
Very clean, organized and friendly. They [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] seemed to be a little overwhelmed with how busy the office was. We didn’t feel like just a number, but here were a lot of people in and out, and they didn’t remember our names, or anything . But understandable with their amount of people and clients.... Like most facilities, fertility treatments are expensive. They were open to the cost, and posted this prior to visits.
2011 - 2015
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Although we didn’t see him on every visit, he was very good at consulting us when needed, and setting a good plan. He explained all options and left us with our choice, and opinion on how to proceed. Our visits didn’t lead to success, but we are hopeful that IVF will be the one that works, and we will definey go back to Dr. Young!!
Go into you appointment with an open mind. Set plans doesn’t always work, and it is easy to get discouraged. Let the expert guide you on your journey.
He suggested using clinics for a few treatments, although we had already done that for a few years. When several rounds didn’t work, we went on to Clomid and IUI. After 5 IUI attempts, with clomid we then tried injections. After 2 rounds we decided (Dr. Young) that IVF would be our next option.
They were very busy, but organized.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very clean, organized and friendly. They seemed to be a little overwhelmed with how busy the office was. We didn’t feel like just a number, but here were a lot of people in and out, and they didn’t remember our names, or anything . But understandable with their amount of people and clients.
He just mentioned that we should just choose multiple embryo transfer due to our age. He didn’t like to transfer less than 2.

2012 - 2014
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
[Dr Young possess an] absolutely great bedside manner and a wonderful doctor. He made me feel optimistic and well cared for. I would fly across the country to see him. I had a cyst aspirated twice, removed once, went through one failed IUI and one successful IVF. Dr Young was our primary Doctor but we also interacted with Dr Dodds. I even got lab results from the doctor at 9 pm one weeknight. I felt valued as a patient and made to feel like a priority....
The Fertility Center [of Michigan] as a whole was amazing. Every person we encountered was polite, respectful and helpful. Receptionists, nurses, doctors and lab staff greeted us by name, never made us feel rushed and wanted to make sure we understood exactly what was happening and (if possible) why....Whenever I called with a question (billing or medical) my called was returned that same day, usually within an hour or two. The doctors and nurses also made sure to tell us about the free counseling they provide for their patients and the support groups they host. My husband and I felt well taken care of there and they made this whole experience a little better.
2012 - 2014
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Absolutely great bedside manner and a wonderful doctor. He made me feel optimistic and well cared for. I would fly across the country to see him.
Take advantage of the counseling the clinic offers at no fee. This is such an emotional experience and the extra support is amazing. The entire staff at TFC is just great.
The Fertility Center as a whole was amazing. Every person we encountered was polite, respectful and helpful. Receptionists, nurses, doctors and lab staff greeted us by name, never made us feel rushed and wanted to make sure we understood exactly what was happening and (if possible) why. I had a cyst aspirated twice, removed once, went through one failed IUI and one successful IVF. Dr Young was our primary Doctor but we also interacted with Dr Dodds. I even got lab results from the doctor at 9 pm one weeknight. I felt valued as a patient and made to feel like a priority. Whenever I called with a question (billing or medical) my called was returned that same day, usually within an hour or two. The doctors and nurses also made sure to tell us about the free counseling they provide for their patients and the support groups they host. My husband and I felt well taken care of there and they made this whole experience a little better.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Amazing nursing staff