5.7

3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525

1 patient review filtered by:

Treated 2016 - 2017
He [Dr. Young] poorly described the steps of our treatment. I...After our miscarriage - I wasn't contacted to talk about next steps...We sat down with Dr. Young and he quickly went through what we would do for treatment by scribbling upside down on a sheet of paper. He didn't talk about success rates or what might be causing us to not conceive naturally... I was actually more confused leaving the office... They don't always listen to you...
Weaknesses. 1. They [The Fertility Center] don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage, I had to explain to the nurse why I was having a blood draw after coming in for my 6 week appointment and them not being able to find a heartbeat and tell her my HCG levels were dropping not increasing meaning I was going to miscarry. 2. They don't always listen to you....
How was your experience with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He poorly described the steps of our treatment. I knew more from friends who had been in our shoes than I did from our one visit with him. After our miscarriage - I wasn't contacted to talk about next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Treat me like a person dealing with infertility, not someone who is paying you and try to get me out of the office as fast as possible.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We sat down with Dr. Young and he quickly went through what we would do for treatment by scribbling upside down on a sheet of paper. He didn't talk about success rates or what might be causing us to not conceive naturally. I had a couple friends who had been through what we were about to embark on. I knew more about the process from them than I learned from Dr. Young. I was actually more confused leaving the office. Luckily the nurses and schedulers were very helpful when scheduling appointments and telling me what I needed to do next. Additionally, we did an IUI which was successful, but then miscarried. We had to see a different doctor the day we found out we were having a miscarriage. Since then I haven't heard anything from Dr. Young (or the doctor we saw when we learned we were having a miscarriage) about our next steps. I feel like they only care about the money we pay for services, aside from that, they have no vested interest in their patients.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Some of the staff have been ok to work with. They answer questions and can read lab results. However, the day I called to get the results of my bloodwork - after coming in and finding out we may be having a miscarriage the nurse read me my HCG levels and told me everything looked great. Luckily, I knew where my levels should be if I were pregnant. I had to tell the nurse that my levels should be about 100x what they were. I told her this was a new round of HCG testing and that I originally had my levels done two weeks prior. She told me she thought this was my second reading, which I had to tell her it wasn't. She then asked me why I was having my hcg tested again - in which i had to TELL HER, while trying to hold it together, that I had come in for my 6 week appointment that morning and they couldn't find a heartbeat. She was frazzled and told me she understood and in that case I was indeed having a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strength is that they will try to get you in as soon as possible and have early morning appointments for those who work full-time. Weaknesses. 1. They don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage. 2. They don't always listen to you. I was certain I would ovulate on a Friday or Saturday and thought doing an IUI the following Monday would be too late, the nurse acted like I was crazy to think I would ovulate that soon and told me to take my injection Saturday PM. I again told her I was sure I would ovulate sooner, again she told me it was highly unlikely and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about, but told me to do OPK's so I would know. Sure enough I got a positive OPK the following day of my appoitment, a Friday morning. And got scheduled for an IUI that Saturday. If I hadn't known my body and been adament I may have wasted a ton of money on an IUI 2 days later than I needed it. My IUI I was able to get that Saturday morning was Successful! You don't really have any other options in the Grand Rapids area, unless you want to drive to Lansing, but the amount of appointments required makes that hard to do if you live in Greater GR.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Weaknesses. 1. They don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage, I had to explain to the nurse why I was having a blood draw after coming in for my 6 week appointment and them not being able to find a heartbeat and tell her my HCG levels were dropping not increasing meaning I was going to miscarry. 2. They don't always listen to you. I was certain I would ovulate on a Friday or Saturday and thought doing an IUI the following Monday would be too late, the nurse acted like I was crazy to think I would ovulate that soon and told me to take my injection Saturday PM. I again told her I was sure I would ovulate sooner, again she told me it was highly unlikely and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about, but told me to do OPK's so I would know. Sure enough I got a positive OPK the following day of my appoitment, a Friday morning. And got scheduled for an IUI that Saturday. If I hadn't known my body and been adament I may have wasted a ton of money on an IUI 2 days later than I needed it. My IUI I was able to get that Saturday morning was Successful!
James Young (retired)