5.7

Traverse City, MI 49684
3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Treated 2018 - 2020
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us... is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us...Just be aware he is flat affected so if you're expecting an upbeat personality, you won't get that from him. It's not that he doesn't care, it's just not his personality
We love Libby [nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan]! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question...For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000...Strengths: They treat you really well when you're doing IVF Weaknesses: When asked what I needed to do differently according to diet, exercise, etc. They said nothing when other clinics would give me a list of things to do to help our chances.
How was your experience with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Young is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby )
We love Libby! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000
Grand Rapids
Dr. Young is slightly deadpan in his delivery or information. If you’re looking for someone who will tell you his honest opinion, he definitely will. It was comforting to me that he would tell me his thoughts or what would be beat for our treatment instead of laying out all the options and having me decide.... Know that you will not see him at every appointment. The clinic works so that whichever doctor is available is the one that sees you. They are all extremely capable.
I liked all the staff [at The Fertility Ctr of MI], the early hours they were open for appointments, and that they offered a counselor for free to any of their patients. I was slightly disappointed that they close at 3:30, but I understand that they have calls to make to IVF patients at that time.... IVF with FET was 13,000 at the fertility center, 4,000 for meds (not including meds for FET), and 6,000 to do genetic testing with an outside location.
Dr. Young did a thorough job explaining our options to me. He helped us come to a decision to go forward with IVF.
Describe the protocols James Young (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
I am in the middle of my IVF cycle now, so I am not sure the results yet. But I have appreciated that the medicine they wanted me to buy was almost exactly what I needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Everyone was extremely thorough and compassionate. I felt well cared for through every interaction.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I liked all the staff, the early hours they were open for appointments, and that they offered a counselor for free to any of their patients. I was slightly disappointed that they close at 3:30, but I understand that they have calls to make to IVF patients at that time.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I had an appointment scheduled for a SHG at 10am, but in the appointment calendar at the clinic it was in for 8am. They could see in their system that I had been scheduled for 10 to check in but for 8am in a room for the procedure. I showed up at 10, and they did find time to fit me in for my procedure. I was thankful they made it right.
Grand Rapids
Doctor Young took the time to explain everything in terms that both my husband and I would understand, even drawing pictures at times. He made sure that we both agreed and understood the plan going forward...He also gave us ways to increase our chances such as reduce alcohol use, exercise, eat well, etc... With that and my husband's low motility, he had us start with IUI, first having me take Femera so I would ovulate on time and possibly produce more then one egg, then going to an ultrasound to make sure an egg had formed, and then using ovidrel so they could time the IUI treatment even closer to ovulation.
Because the doctors [The Fert Ctr] rotate to their other offices, it isn't uncommon that you talk to all of them at one point or another. I personally think that is a good thing, because I feel like I get all of their expertise involved in my care. Everyone is very knowledgeable in what they do and they are able to make you feel like you have control going forward and they give you hope again.
He was very good at describing our treatment in easy to understand terms also providing pictures when necessary. He always made sure we understood before moving on to the next area. He took time to ask about what we do and got to know us a little bit and also joked around with us. It helped for us to both feel comfortable and we left feeling like we had some control over the situation again.
Doctor Young will go over everything you need but I think it is always good to know a little background on fertility treatments.
Doctor Young took the time to explain everything in terms that both my husband and I would understand, even drawing pictures at times. He made sure that we both agreed and understood the plan going forward and even took some time to get to know what we both do and joked with us. He made us feel comfortable during a tough discussion and made us feel like we had some small amount of control back.
Before we had met Dr. Young my obgyn had already had me try 4 rounds of clomid because of my irregular cycles. With that and my husband's low motility, he had us start with IUI, first having me take Femera so I would ovulate on time and possibly produce more then one egg, then going to an ultrasound to make sure an egg had formed, and then using ovidrel so they could time the IUI treatment even closer to ovulation. He also gave us ways to increase our chances such as reduce alcohol use, exercise, eat well, etc.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
After my ultrasound the nurse sat down with me to do over the next steps for treatment. She made sure I was able to get the medicine I needed on time and that I understood what would happen going forward.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Because the doctors rotate to their other offices, it isn't uncommon that you talk to all of them at one point or another. I personally think that is a good thing, because I feel like I get all of their expertise involved in my care. Everyone is very knowledgeable in what they do and they are able to make you feel like you have control going forward and they give you hope again.
I don't remember the cost of the initial consultation appointment but the ultrasound and meet up with the nurse was around $250 and the actual IUI was $600. They gave me resources to get the ovidrel at a more reasonable cost, which was around $35.

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Young was very thorough in explaining everything to us in a way we would understand. He breaks everything down so we know exactly what we will be dealing with. He knows what the end goal for us is and is helping us do whatever it takes to get there.... We did quite a few rounds of fertility medications, one round of injectable and two IUI treatments. All were unsuccessful so now we must move on to IVF.
The clinics strengths are that they [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] have a very professional and supportive staff. From the receptionist to the nurses and doctors, everyone is there for a common purpose of helping couples achieve pregnancy....All of the nurses at the clinic are very professional and so friendly. They understand the sensitive nature of their job so it is so great that they try to be positive for their patients (when it is sometimes hard for the patient themselves to be positive).
Tell him everything you want to get out of your time at the clinic and express all concerns and fears.
Dr. Young gave us his undivided attention when addressing all of our concerns and fears.
We did quite a few rounds of fertility medications, one round of injectable and two IUI treatments. All were unsuccessful so now we must move on to IVF. Dr. Young gave many chances to get pregnant before having to move to the most invasive and expensive treatment.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinics strengths are that they have a very professional and supportive staff. From the receptionist to the nurses and doctors, everyone is there for a common purpose of helping couples achieve pregnancy.
I cannot remember exact costs of certain treatments but I do know part of the ultrasounds have been covered by our insurance. There is an office visit cost as well. All medications are out of pocket. The billing dept is pretty easy to deal with and you can make payments on your account.
Treated 2018 - 2019
He [Dr. Young] was candid and straight forward about treatment and our options. I feel like he followed SART guidelines and ethics protocol. I am very detail oriented so I would have preferred more in depth explanations, but overall he communicated well...He has a dry sense of humor which can come off as insensitive and might be off putting to some. My husband thinks he is hilarious... Protocol was chosen based on age, single Fallopian tube, prior ectopic pregnancy and normal AMH & FSH values. Currently stimulating for first egg retrieval.
Approximately $9500 for egg retrieval and transfer [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...They have a good track record, are organized, kind, compassionate, nice facility, offer services like genetic counseling, a fertility counselor, and support group. They have 4 offices throughout the state and are relatively easier to reach. They coordinate with my local clinic for monitoring which has been very helpful...[nurses is a] Very effective communicator. Took into consideration my personality (Type A) when giving info (eg I want all the details, numbers,etc) Friendly and excellent at organization.
He was candid and straight forward about treatment and our options. I feel like he followed SART guidelines and ethics protocol. I am very detail oriented so I would have preferred more in depth explanations, but overall he communicated well.
He remembered details about my husband and myself, kept a sense of humor and conversed with us about non fertility topics.
Antagonist protocol (BCP, 150 Gonal f, 75 menopur, cetrotide, hCG & Lupron trigger). I used Gonal during IUI so we had a good idea how I would respond. Protocol was chosen based on age, single Fallopian tube, prior ectopic pregnancy and normal AMH & FSH values. Currently stimulating for first egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Approximately $9500 for egg retrieval and transfer - totally out of pocket. After partial insurance about $100 for mock transfer/sonohytogram. Insurance covered office visits with $20 co pay. $400 annually for embryo storage. All the remaining lab testing and ultrasounds are partially covered by insurance, and balances vary based on type of test and remaining deductible.
Describe James Young (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Based on age I knew transferring 2 was a possibility, but was surprised that we could transfer up to 3. Otherwise, i trust that my doctor will only transfer the number of embryos he believes is healthy and safe.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Young is a very knowledgeable guy. He has a very dry sense of humor but he always made me feel comfortable. He always explained everything pretty clearly but it never seemed like he was talking down to us. He keeps an extremely tidy office... For IUI- We did femara along with injectables to hopefully get a better number of mature eggs without the extra cost of doing all injectables. For 3 cycles that worked.
I really have nothing great to say about the nurses [Fertility Center of MI]. None of them were particularly friendly. They never took the time to get to know us and never remembered us. We honestly had to explain our situation at every appointment. The ultrasound tech, Jillian, was the only one I felt comfortable with. Almost always when calling I had to leave a message and they would usually wait until the end of the day to return my call. They often returned it after they shut their phones off (at 3:30pm!) and if I didn't catch their call I would have to wait until the following day to speak with them.
Dr. Young is a very knowledgeable guy. He has a very dry sense of humor but he always made me feel comfortable. He always explained everything pretty clearly but it never seemed like he was talking down to us. He keeps an extremely tidy office, which seems to be rare for most doctors I have visited. He has a very steady hand and that always made me feel more at ease with him.
Ask as many questions as you can think of, he will answer them all. Don't ever leave, wishing you had the courage to ask something that may seem dumb. He will take his time and explain everything to you.
Every time we met with a nurse or doctor, we had to explain everything to them. They almost never remembered that we were using donor sperm... I hated repeating that over and over. Not a single person in 2 years remembered our names.
For IUI- We did femara along with injectables to hopefully get a better number of mature eggs without the extra cost of doing all injectables. For 3 cycles that worked. On the 4th and 5th, we had absolutely no response to the meds and the IUI was cancelled. All 3 cycles produced negative results. We also used the ovidrel trigger shot 24 hours before IUI. IVF- we started with birth control the month before to hopefully "align" the follicles. We began the cycle with Gonal-F and Menopur, added lupron to prevent early ovulation. When the majority of the follicles reach 18-20mm, we used an HCG trigger. Exactly 35 hours, we had the egg retrieval. The 12 eggs were fertilized using ICSI and 7 actually fertilized. All 7 made it to day 2, two 4 cell "day two embryos" were transferred and the other 5 were frozen. Both embryos implanted but only one progressed to have a heartbeat, the other disappeared over the next 16 weeks. We gave birth to a healthy son at 38 weeks.
I really have nothing great to say about the nurses. None of them were particularly friendly. They never took the time to get to know us and never remembered us. We honestly had to explain our situation at every appointment. The ultrasound tech, Jillian, was the only one I felt comfortable with. Almost always when calling I had to leave a message and they would usually wait until the end of the day to return my call. They often returned it after they shut their phones off (at 3:30pm!) and if I didn't catch their call I would have to wait until the following day to speak with them. It was extremely frustrating, especially when we are dealing with a time sensitive issue.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You have to strongly advocate for yourself. You will get lost in the mountain of patients otherwise. If you feel like the treatment they have you on isn't working, speak up. They let us keep going until we said "stop". We were 8 IUIs in when we finally realized this.
IUI procedure was about $400 Full ivf was about $12,000
They explained it to us but really left the choice up to us. They allowed us to transfer 2
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The nurse setting up my hsg did not tell me, until the morning of the procedure, that I needed an antibiotic. I had to rush around and get it. After my hsg the nurse told me that I had a "shaggy lining" I asked if it was an issue, if we should put off our IUI that was scheduled for that week... She said she would check with the Dr. (Shavell at the time) but it shouldn't be an issue. We never received a call to tell us wether or not to go ahead with the IUI so we came to our appointment anyway. I asked if Dr. Shavell had reviewed the results of my hsg and the nurse didn't give a clear response but basically said "yes, it's fine. It's just a little shaggy". 2 days after our IUI we got a phone call from a nurse telling us that Dr. Shavell was concerned with what she saw and was ordering a 3D ultrasound to get a better look. I ended up having multiple polyps and a fibroid. We wasted a bunch of money for absolutely no good reason... All because no one actually looked at the results of my hsg.
Treated 2017 - 2019
He [Dr. James Young] is very knowledgeable and helpful...I underwent three months of femara and iui unsuccessfully. Then three with clomid that were unsuccessful. I moved on to ivf. My first retrieval did not go as planned. I had very few embryos. I can't remember the exact name of the protocol, but this next round we are going with the flare protocol... recommended multiple embryo transfer due to my age...was very calm and did a good job explaining procedures and answering my questions.
All the nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] was amazing. Heidi was my favorite because she was the most understanding and compassionate...Always return calls in a timely manner. Willing to answer any questions and offer support when needed. They definitely go the distance for their patients. I feel very comfortable with them and appreciate their help...I underwent three months of femara and iui unsuccessfully. Then three with clomid that were unsuccessful. I moved on to ivf. My first retrieval did not go as planned. I had very few embryos. I can't remember the exact name of the protocol, but this next round we are going with the flare protocol.
Very calm and patient, almost too much so. Did a great job explaining procedures and answering any questions or concerns. I always felt safe and comfortable. If I was worried or nervous, he did a great job to ease my fears.
Ask questions about your treatment if you have them. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Dr. Young was very calm and did a good job explaining procedures and answering my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
All the nursing staff was amazing. Heidi was my favorite because she was the most understanding and compassionate.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very compassionate. Always return calls in a timely manner. Willing to answer any questions and offer support when needed. They definitely go the distance for their patients. I feel very comfortable with them and appreciate their help.
Most of my cost was out of pocket. Some treatments were covered by insurance.
My doctor recommended multiple embryo transfer due to my age. It made sense to me and I felt comfortable with his decision.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Young is friendly, compassionate, and caring. He will tell you everything that is going on, which made me as a patient, feel very comforted. I do not see Dr. Young when I go in for my routine appointments, sometimes that is a little frustrating, although I do understand he is very busy. ... The first three months I was a patient of Dr. Young’s he had me doing timed cycles. We had a consultation shortly into month four and didn’t want to skip a month so we did another timed cycle. After those four months we have done 2 unsuccessful IUIs and just completed our third IUI, currently awaiting the results. All IUIs have been with Gonal-F injection
The Kalamazoo clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very friendly. From the minute you walk in the door they greet you by name with a smile. The staff is generally the same people which makes you feel more comfortable and less like a number. ... The nurse I generally see is amazing, supportive, honest, and informative. They are right there with you, encouraging you to stay strong but also understand you will have days you want to cry and scream.
Dr. Young takes the time to ensure you are comfortable.
The first three months I was a patient of Dr. Young’s he had me doing timed cycles. We had a consultation shortly into month four and didn’t want to skip a month so we did another timed cycle. After those four months we have done 2 unsuccessful IUIs and just completed our third IUI, currently awaiting the results. All IUIs have been with Gonal-F injections.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Kalamazoo clinic is very friendly. From the minute you walk in the door they greet you by name with a smile. The staff is generally the same people which makes you feel more comfortable and less like a number.
The cost for timed cycles, with my insurance, was covered except for the medication deductible of $40. The cost for IUI cycles, with my insurance, was $600, $40 for ovulation shot, and $40 per box of injections.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Young is definitely very wise and I felt I could trust him with our treatments. Personally, I feel like his bedside manners could improve a little. He is very kind and thorough, but somewhat awkward at times. I felt like I had to push treatment changes when things didn't work but that's also largely a part of my personality. He always explained things in an easy-to-understand way.... I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course.
Strengths [Fertility Center of MI]: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.... Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana.
Keep in mind that although he can come off a little quiet or awkward at times, I do believe he has plenty of wisdom and experience to handle direct treatment courses. I'm still undergoing treatment (more aggressive, I'll add) so I'm very curious to see how my thoughts on him will change, if at all!
Dr. Young is very kind and remembered some minor details about my previous cycles, which I really appreciated.
I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course. I was also thankful to move on to Gonal-F for IUI #4, though my dose was small (75iu nightly). I actually responded with fewer follicles than on 5mg Femara. My 5th and final IUI, we tried a higher dose of Follistim (125iu) and I responded very well! Almost too well: 6 follicles. I'm very glad my clinic was upfront and honest with me about the risks and let me make that decision alongside of them. We still went for that IUI and it was a negative, but I feel very good about that last shot IUI: we tried our best and I feel much more comfortable moving forward with IVF, especially since I've gotten comfortable with injections.
Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana. She is SO good at what she does and is insanely sweet and compassionate! I plan on requesting her for all my future scans, when possible.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.
I have zero fertility coverage besides 50% coverage for meds (which I realized was truly nothing since most pharmacies have an agreement and give women who are completely out of pocket a discount, so my med coverage didn't really do anything). Specifically with my clinic, a semen analysis was around $130. IUI including the sperm wash was $500. Most ultrasounds/appointments were in the $100 range, depending on your coverage, of course.
We are just about to start our first IVF cycle with Dr. Young, so I can't speak about embryo transfers yet. But, I did trigger and have an IUI with 6 follicles and they were very straightforward and honest with me about the risks. You could tell it was very important to them that I knew what I was doing.
Grand Rapids
The way the clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] runs, I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. ...Dr. Young is very intelligent and explained everything slowly and in depth, answering all questions. He used evidence based information and cited/provided studies. He’s not the warm and fuzzy type but I don’t need that in a provider. My main critique would be for more follow through from Dr. Young himself but I also understand that’s not possible with how the office is run.
The way the clinic runs [Fertility Center of Michigan], I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. ... I was able to start treatment the day of my consultation. The staff is caring and kind and mostly runs on time. They do not batch patients and office runs 7 days a week. It would be nice if there were more morning appointment times for ultrasounds, they also need a program for those paying out of pocket. Only have assured program which many don’t qualify for.
Dr. Young is very intelligent and explained everything slowly and in depth, answering all questions. He used evidence based information and cited/provided studies. He’s not the warm and fuzzy type but I don’t need that in a provider. My main critique would be for more follow through from Dr. Young himself but I also understand that’s not possible with how the office is run. I always hear from the nurses who are wonderful but don’t always receive the details I want.
He will do everything he can to customize the protocols to your needs and to meet your requests. While he isn’t the warm and fuzzy type, he’s professional, intelligent, and experienced. I would suggest to anyone to bring a list of questions to a consult and i my experience he was happy to explain discuss all my questions and concerns.
The way the clinic runs, I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. The IVF nurses are my main contact. I would feel more supported If I had more contact with Dr. Young and received more follow up.
I did 2 rounds of clomid and 4 with femara doing timed intercourse, followed by 3 IUI’s with femara (none with injectables d/t lack of insurance coverage. Currently undergoing micro flare IVF. Microdose lupron with gonal -f. I have DOR.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
The staff is wonderful, usually runs on time, good communicators and are very caring. They do their best to have my primary nurse see me and call.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUI -$500 without meds IVF >$10,000 not including ultrasound, blood draws, HSG, Mock embryo transfer, and meds meds are usually $3,000-$6,000 each US about $250 each E2 $115 each progesterone draw $115.
I haven’t transferred yet, but the office provides information with studies on the topic and Dr. Young discussed it at length in the consultation as well as the IVF nurse in the prep prior to starting IVF.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Young is very dry, but you can tell he cares deeply about his patients and what he does. He doesn’t sugar coat anything, which is exactly the type of doctor I love. He always provided different options but was respectful of your decision. ... We started with Clomid and moved our way up through treatment options. ... I appreciated how upfront Dr. Young was and I never felt like he was trying to rush me out.
This place [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is wonderful! We are now going back for round two now that our IVF daughter is 16 months! Everyone is so helpful and caring. They go above and beyond to make you feel validated, cared for, and comforted when needed. ... I love the nursing staff at the fertility center! They are fantastic people who truly care about the physical and emotional well-being of their patients.
He is very blunt and dry but a great Doctor!
We started with Clomid and moved our way up through treatment options.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This place is wonderful! We are now going back for round two now that our IVF daughter is 16 months! Everyone is so helpful and caring. They go above and beyond to make you feel validated, cared for, and comforted when needed.
Everything was expensive! I remember joking with the billing department if they wanted a kidney or a liver four different appointments. However, they were willing to work with you and let you know how much everything was upfront. Dori in billing is extremely helpful! Unfortunately, this go around our insurance no longer covers 50%. That 50% coverage was essential when going through the first round of IVF.

Treated 2016 - 2017
I really liked him [Dr. James Young] in the beginning. He spent a lot of time with me and my husband. Then as I mentioned, I didn't see him once we started our 3 month treatment plan. And after 3 failed months of Femara, trigger shot and IUI's I haven't been back. Decided to take a small break then try again. They said we would meet with the doctor again for a new plan of action. But after my 3rd failed month and now 4 months since then, not one person or nurse has ever called to check on us and see if we wanted to make our next appointment and get a new treatment plan going. That's when I went from feeling human to feeling like a number. No one cares I guess, that's what it feels like. Just pay your bill and if you come back you come back. Ugh!
They have a good track record and doctors. That's why I went and will go again. They are close to me and well known. I trust them even though I have sometimes felt like a number. They know what they're doing so I can remove myself emotionally. It's expensive and you may leave feeling worse then when you started! I was so confused when one month I couldn't even have an IUI. I didn't even know that was an option. So make sure to ask lots of questions because some information was left out of our discussions because I'm assuming they thought I just knew.
I really liked him in the beginning. He spent a lot of time with me and my husband. Then as I mentioned, I didn't see him once we started our 3 month treatment plan. And after 3 failed months of Femara, trigger shot and IUI's I haven't been back. Decided to take a small break then try again. They said we would meet with the doctor again for a new plan of action. But after my 3rd failed month and now 4 months since then, not one person or nurse has ever called to check on us and see if we wanted to make our next appointment and get a new treatment plan going. That's when I went from feeling human to feeling like a number. No one cares I guess, that's what it feels like. Just pay your bill and if you come back you come back. Ugh!
Dot set deadlines when you'll be pregame. You'll just disappointed when it comes and go's. Be expectant but informed. Really ask all your questions and understand to your best during your first appointments. As I guess you're not guaranteed to see your doctor for awhile.
I didn't feel like a number initially. I saw Dr. Young in the beginning then for all my ultrasounds and IUI's I did now see him! Kind of crazy to me. After 3 failed months on Femara, 2 months I had failed IUI's and 1 month I couldn't do IUI because they think I ovulated early or late. But I never saw or spoke with Dr. Young once the treatment plan started. I don't like that.
I guess I'm not certain. Just that he said Femara and IUI was his opinion what was best for me during our first 3 month treatment plan. He said we would do 3 month treatment plans and if they didn't work we would re-visit and come up with the next plan. I did my research as well, but mostly trust his expert opinions.
They didn't do a bad job. Just did their job. Just went through the motions and wished me licked every time. Like ok see you next time. No big deal that I had 3 months of expensive failed treatments. They did well, nothing exceptional
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think it was around $200-250 just every time I stepped in the office. Which some appointments were not even necessary and could have take place with a phone call or email! We paid for mid-cycle ultrasounds and IUI's (separate cost for both my husband & I). Some appointments I paid for we're frustrating because like I mentioned, they weren't necessary and I left with no new information or the appointment was like 10 mins. Every single thing was a different cost. And I felt like some things my doctor could have provided under insurance. Like certain testing that was done in the very beginning. Like bliss work and ultrasounds. Being I had 3 miscarriages already, shouldn't my normal doctors have already done all the testing, blood work and ultrasounds? Why did it take 3 miscarriage and the fertility center and 5 years for me to be diagnosed with recurrent miscarriage and factor 5?! That's crazy to me

Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Young has always seemed to be very knowledgeable. He could be considered slightly awkward; he is pretty soft spoken. But he is honest, notices and acknowledges when things are or could be tough for my husband and I. He is very encouraging and positive and does take his time with each of us when we meet.... We started with cheaper and less invasive and then worked our way up. But he listened when we wanted to either slow the process or amp it up. He wanted us to be comfortable and confident and as relaxed as we can be on this journey.
All of the nurses [at The Fertility Center of MI] are great. Each doctor has a couple nurses for treatments that aren't ivf, and a nurse specifically for ivf. Everyone seems to work super well together and I have always felt like I have gotten very personal care and that they genuinely want what is best for us.
Look past his slight awkward quietness. He is kind and knowledgeable. Plus at this clinic, all the doctors seem to work together on things. I have been confident in all of his directions and direction changes that he has made for us. They made sense and we saw results.
He is patient and thorough. He also seems to be pretty perceptive and tries to have good, as normal as possible conversations along with the "work" discussions.
He explained all our options, gave his opinion on direction, and we took his advice. He adjusted accordingly when needed. We started with cheaper and less invasive and then worked our way up. But he listened when we wanted to either slow the process or amp it up. He wanted us to be comfortable and confident and as relaxed as we can be on this journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie S)
All of the nurses are great. Each doctor has a couple nurses for treatments that aren't ivf, and a nurse specifically for ivf. Everyone seems to work super well together and I have always felt like I have gotten very personal care and that they genuinely want what is best for us.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is rough sometimes with scheduleing for multiple reasons that unfortunately are managed as best they can be. We have almost no otger options for fertility treatment centers; these doctors work together at multiple locations hours apart. They do the best they can. And by the time you are coming to see them, you are willing to make your schedule wprk with thiers.
Over the last 2 years and multiple cycles of differing attempts, we've spent about $13,000
Based on what he already knew of our religious beliefs, this was only briefly discussed.
Treated 2017
Dr. Young was very patient with my many questions and made sure I knew exactly what to expect before moving on. He set up a road map of the steps we would take throughout our journey on our first meeting...We are now planning on laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis...Since I had already taken Clomid for 5 cycles we moved on to taking Femara on days 3-7 and taking Ovidrel on day 13 for 3 cycles. I also had an ultrasound on day 13 of each cycle to check on folicle production. The first cycle I had produced 3 large follicles, the 2nd only 2 good sized follicles and the 3rd, one good size and one small follicle.
The nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] was very informative and always returned my phone calls in a timely manner...Ultrasound visits cost around $170. Visits with the Doctor were $190...The doctors and nurses at this clinic are very knowledgable and helpful...Since I had already taken Clomid for 5 cycles we moved on to taking Femara on days 3-7 and taking Ovidrel on day 13 for 3 cycles. I also had an ultrasound on day 13 of each cycle to check on folicle production. The first cycle I had produced 3 large follicles, the 2nd only 2 good sized follicles and the 3rd, one good size and one small follicle. None of these cycles resulted in pregnancy. We are now planning on laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis.
Be open and completely honest with your goals.
They treated me as an individual and was knowledgable of my case.
The nursing staff was very informative and always returned my phone calls in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The doctors and nurses at this clinic are very knowledgable and helpful. Unfortunately, this clinic did not accept my insurance so many procedures were expensive.
Ultrasound visits cost around $170. Visits with the Doctor were $190.
Treated 2016 - 2017
He [Dr. James Young] has a very laid back personality. Did not meet with him every time, but I did not mind because the other doctors and nurses were very friendly and willing to help. I appreciate that the wait time to see him was not super long.... He is always friendly and on time.... I love how they have such a large staff that they are able to go along with my cycle instead of messing with it to fit their time line. I just wished that the 4 IUI's and the IVF round would have worked.
I love how they have such a large staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] that they are able to go along with my cycle instead of messing with it to fit their time line. I just wished that the 4 IUI's and the IVF round would have worked.... He has a very laid back personality. Did not meet with him every time, but I did not mind because the other doctors and nurses were very friendly and willing to help. I appreciate that the wait time to see him was not super long.... He is always friendly and on time.
Be patient & try not to get overwhelmed by the process, and the needles. All the many needles.
He is always friendly and on time.
I was on so many, I do not remember. I know I took Clomid, Femara, Gonal F, Progesterone shots in oil, ovidril, and a few others I cannot remember the names of.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Due to my insurance not covering anything, I have paid over $20,000 so far, out of pocket, for our treatments,
He wanted to transfer multiple embryos, and so did we.
Treated 2015 - 2016
If you want a doctor who is knowledgeable and confident he is the doctor for you. If you want someone to make you feel warm and fuzzy, not so much.... He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal. ...It was males based infertility so Dr. Young wanted to start off with a less aggressive treatment...At first I found him to be kind of cold but very informative. He told my husband and I the facts and didn't sugar coat. I like warm people, but when spending the kind of money we were about to and the emotional ride we about to get on I preferred having confidence in my chosen doctors ability and he gave me that 10 fold.
[Nursing Staff at The Fertility Center] They were very helpful and always available to answer any questions we had. They were not always warm which sometimes was hard because with all of the hormones I had surging through me I could have used a little more warmth from them... $14,000 ICSI and time lapse photography were all part of the cost....I had a bad fall shortly after becoming pregnant thought IVF. I called the clinic to ask what I should do and they patched us through to Dr. Young on a Sunday night. He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal.
If you want a doctor who is knowledgeable and confident he is the doctor for you. If you want someone to make you feel warm and fuzzy, not so much. I had a bad fall shortly after becoming pregnant thought IVF. I called the clinic to ask what I should do and they patched us through to Dr. Young on a Sunday night. He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal. He understands that this is hard and scary and he doesn't down play that. I felt like it was very important for my husband to feel comfortable with the Doctor we chose as much as I did, and he thought Dr. Young was fantastic. Gave him a lot of peace of mind.
At first I found him to be kind of cold but very informative. He told my husband and I the facts and didn't sugar coat. I like warm people, but when spending the kind of money we were about to and the emotional ride we about to get on I preferred having confidence in my chosen doctors ability and he gave me that 10 fold. As time went on and we moved from IUI to IVF he became more involved and was available for questions and concerns and made me feel very important.
It was males based infertility so Dr. Young wanted to start off with a less aggressive treatment. My husband and I started with a round of IUI and were unsuccessful but Dr. Young encouraged us to try at least 3 before moving on to IVF. We did two rounds of IUI and then decided to do IVF. We did a 2 month protocol (the long protocol) and had success.
$14,000 ICSI and time lapse photography were all part of the cost.