5.8

Traverse City, MI 49684
3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us... is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us...Just be aware he is flat affected so if you're expecting an upbeat personality, you won't get that from him. It's not that he doesn't care, it's just not his personality
We love Libby [nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan]! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question...For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000...Strengths: They treat you really well when you're doing IVF Weaknesses: When asked what I needed to do differently according to diet, exercise, etc. They said nothing when other clinics would give me a list of things to do to help our chances.
How was your experience with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Young is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby )
We love Libby! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000
Grand Rapids
He [Dr. James Young] has been great. I have had multiple changes in my plan due to firbroids and cysts but he always has a great plan in place. I am currently doing multi-cycle IVF to try to collect as many eggs as possible due to my low AMH. I was worried about it at first but Dr. Young has explained everything.... One round of timed intercourse with menopur. Now multi-cycle IVF. First round we did 300 of Gonal F and Lupron. Second round will be 450 Gonal F and Lupron.
The strengths [of The Fertility Center of MI-Grand Rapids] would be how much all of the staff care from the front desk staff, billing, nurses, and the doctors. There is also an IVF line where you can call if you are an IVF patient and there is someone there to answer your questions.... I have had multiple changes in my plan due to firbroids and cysts but he always has a great plan in place. I am currently doing multi-cycle IVF to try to collect as many eggs as possible due to my low AMH.
He has been great. I have had multiple changes in my plan due to firbroids and cysts but he always has a great plan in place. I am currently doing multi-cycle IVF to try to collect as many eggs as possible due to my low AMH. I was worried about it at first but Dr. Young has explained everything.
Just to trust the process and ask a lot of questions!
This was our first experience with the IVF process. He explained the entire process and has been very caring and understanding.
Describe the protocols James Young (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
We had some issues in the beginning but it’s because my protocol changes a couple times.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strengths would be how much all of the staff care from the front desk staff, billing, nurses, and the doctors. There is also an IVF line where you can call if you are an IVF patient and there is someone there to answer your questions.
We are in the process currently.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Just some paperwork misplaced but we were able to get the issue resolved.
Grand Rapids
Dr Young was very adamant in finding the cause of infertility with a variety of blood work, ultrasounds, and other exams. He was very conscious of our financial situation and worked with us. I think we need to strongly consider IVF. It was never pushed on us as we could only afford iui, but he was realistic and very forth coming as to what needs to happen next.... We did multiple iui's all medicated and with ultrasounds. He closely monitored ovulation with ultrasound.
They [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] treated us like family. They were very knowledgeable and easily accessible for any questions or concerns.... Strengths; their communication was great, cleanliness in their office and surrounding area, very informative and knowledgeable staff... seems like everyone works well with each other. Weaknesses; making appointments for new patients should be sooner.
Please document all treatments and test results so that your dr can better help you achieve your goals in a timely matter.
The staff was great and walked my husband and myself through every step.
They treated us like family. They were very knowledgeable and easily accessible for any questions or concerns.
Under $10,000
Grand Rapids
Dr. Young was very patient with my many questions and made sure I knew exactly what to expect before moving on. He set up a road map of the steps we would take throughout our journey on our first meeting...We are now planning on laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis...Since I had already taken Clomid for 5 cycles we moved on to taking Femara on days 3-7 and taking Ovidrel on day 13 for 3 cycles. I also had an ultrasound on day 13 of each cycle to check on folicle production. The first cycle I had produced 3 large follicles, the 2nd only 2 good sized follicles and the 3rd, one good size and one small follicle.
The nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] was very informative and always returned my phone calls in a timely manner...Ultrasound visits cost around $170. Visits with the Doctor were $190...The doctors and nurses at this clinic are very knowledgable and helpful...Since I had already taken Clomid for 5 cycles we moved on to taking Femara on days 3-7 and taking Ovidrel on day 13 for 3 cycles. I also had an ultrasound on day 13 of each cycle to check on folicle production. The first cycle I had produced 3 large follicles, the 2nd only 2 good sized follicles and the 3rd, one good size and one small follicle. None of these cycles resulted in pregnancy. We are now planning on laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis.
Be open and completely honest with your goals.
They treated me as an individual and was knowledgable of my case.
The nursing staff was very informative and always returned my phone calls in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The doctors and nurses at this clinic are very knowledgable and helpful. Unfortunately, this clinic did not accept my insurance so many procedures were expensive.
Ultrasound visits cost around $170. Visits with the Doctor were $190.
2013 - 2016, Successful
I was in denial that I even needed to see a specialist. But once I met with him [Dr. Young], he didn't make me feel like it was a bad thing that I needed him. I so much hope when I left our very first meeting. I truly felt that after 5 miscarriages at that time, that we were going to be parents with his help!...I took femara 5mg on cycle days 3-7. On CD 13 I had a follicle scan where they found a large follicle that they were very pleased with. I was then given a shot of ovidrel in the office. Was told to have intercourse two days later. We got pregnant on the first cycle
I have nothing bad to say about this office [The Fertility Center]!...I felt very comfortable with the nurses. They knew that we had already been through so much heartache and made us feel at peace with the whole process....I thought they were much higher than they should have been. For a follicle scan...using the same exact machine as my ob does for an ultrasound, it was $184 not covered by insurance. And then, if you had to meet in the consult room for more than 5 min, it was another $68 I believe. For what we have already been through emotionally, I feel it was way over done.
I was in denial that I even needed to see a specialist. But once I met with him, he didn't make me feel like it was a bad thing that I needed him. I so much hope when I left our very first meeting. I truly felt that after 5 miscarriages at that time, that we were going to be parents with his help!
Trust him!!
I felt like he cared specifically for me and not for money.
I took femara 5mg on cycle days 3-7. On CD 13 I had a follicle scan where they found a large follicle that they were very pleased with. I was then given a shot of ovidrel in the office. Was told to have intercourse two days later. We got pregnant on the first cycle and now have a healthy 2 yr old!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have nothing bad to say about this office!
2012, Successful
Dr. Young was very thorough with reviewing things and coming up with a plan of treatment. He made sure our questions were answered and had good bedside manner. He was very kind and also presented all the facts.... t was discovered that I have hypothyroidism, so treatment began immediately for that. Since I was not ovulating, we planned to do 3 cycles with Femara and Ovidrel, and if those were unsuccessful, we would move on to discuss other options. An ultrasound was done during the cycle to see how many eggs there were, the basic quality, and to determine when to do the Ovidrel shot. The first cycle was unsuccessful. The second cycle resulted in a twin pregnancy.
The clinic [Fertility Center of MI] was easy to find, professional looking, had a good layout, and was clean. There were pictures of babies that had resulted from the clinic, which could be sensitive for some, but could be encouraging for others.... The staff was wonderful. They were caring and answered any questions we had. They always showed respect.... The staff and Dr. Young were very caring and compassionate with every interaction.
Try not to lose hope.
It was discovered that I have hypothyroidism, so treatment began immediately for that. Since I was not ovulating, we planned to do 3 cycles with Femara and Ovidrel, and if those were unsuccessful, we would move on to discuss other options. An ultrasound was done during the cycle to see how many eggs there were, the basic quality, and to determine when to do the Ovidrel shot. The first cycle was unsuccessful. The second cycle resulted in a twin pregnancy.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic was easy to find, professional looking, had a good layout, and was clean. There were pictures of babies that had resulted from the clinic, which could be sensitive for some, but could be encouraging for others.
Grand Rapids
He [Dr. James Young] has a very laid back personality. Did not meet with him every time, but I did not mind because the other doctors and nurses were very friendly and willing to help. I appreciate that the wait time to see him was not super long.... He is always friendly and on time.... I love how they have such a large staff that they are able to go along with my cycle instead of messing with it to fit their time line. I just wished that the 4 IUI's and the IVF round would have worked.
I love how they have such a large staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] that they are able to go along with my cycle instead of messing with it to fit their time line. I just wished that the 4 IUI's and the IVF round would have worked.... He has a very laid back personality. Did not meet with him every time, but I did not mind because the other doctors and nurses were very friendly and willing to help. I appreciate that the wait time to see him was not super long.... He is always friendly and on time.
Be patient & try not to get overwhelmed by the process, and the needles. All the many needles.
He is always friendly and on time.
I was on so many, I do not remember. I know I took Clomid, Femara, Gonal F, Progesterone shots in oil, ovidril, and a few others I cannot remember the names of.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Due to my insurance not covering anything, I have paid over $20,000 so far, out of pocket, for our treatments,
Describe James Young (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
He wanted to transfer multiple embryos, and so did we.
Grand Rapids
Dr Young has a flat affect, but we loved his dry humor, and he still had a decent bedside manner. He was always kind, just not extremely bubbly personality, more dry than Dr Dodds. He got us pregnant though! He was always professional, and honest with us about success chances. He was super aggressive with advancement of options to get pregnant, which we appreciated.
[The Fertility Center of MI- Grand Rapids] always made sure there was availability for appointments as you needed. must pay for everything up front. they definitely made sure you paid for everything before you started scheduling. some times you wouldn’t get phone calls back in the amount of time you had hoped or were promised. other than that, the staff was very caring, supportive, sensitive to your needs, and collaborated well with physicians
See past the dry humor, he really cares.
he was straight with us, but knew our goals and was set out to achieve them
I don’t recall specifics
Very sweet.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
always made sure there was availability for appointments as you needed. must pay for everything up front. they definitely made sure you paid for everything before you started scheduling. some times you wouldn’t get phone calls back in the amount of time you had hoped or were promised. other than that, the staff was very caring, supportive, sensitive to your needs, and collaborated well with physicians.
multiple got us pregnant with multiples!
James Young (retired)

He was very thorough in explaining everything and telling us what the next course of treatment should be was very caring and compassionate as well I would recommend him...He treated me like a person explained everything thoroughly and didn't rush us through...He is very nice n will answer all type questions...He had my on clomid for an iui procedure to help produce multiple eggs wich ended in not getting pregnant due to my husbands low sperm count n low motility he then told us after the failed iui ivf was are next step
For the iui [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] it was roughly 800 after all the appointments and medications have not done ivf yet due to the high cost...They are all great caring and compassionate and explain everything thoroughly the office n staff are all great and very welcoming never had to wait long at my appointments and even brought me in on a Saturday for a test I needed done...They [nurses] were all great explaining everything caring and compassionate and if they did not know something they would go ask the Dr to get tyne answer
He was very thorough in explaining everything and telling us what the next course of treatment should be was very caring and compassionate as well I would recommend him and all lol the other Dr's at the fertillity center
He is very nice n will answer all type questions
They were all great explaining everything caring and compassionate and if they did not know something they would go ask the Dr to get tyne answer
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
For the iui it was roughly 800 after all the appointments and medications have not done ivf yet due to the high cost
2012 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] was so incredibly kind and caring and treated me like a person...He was very informative and compassionate with us and wanted to make sure he helped us in our very way he could. He explained in detail what would work for us and our chances of receiving pregnancy. Talked through the procedure and what to do and expect...I had cysts for a few months and one cycle needed to be canceled because there weren’t many follicles. We did another cycle and ER and ET resulting in a pregnancy.
[The nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan were] Very caring and compassionate...trustworthy staff. Everyone on the team is like and treats you like family. They want to know about you and help you in anyway they can. They are helpful in any questions you have or concerns you may have...I had cysts for a few months and one cycle needed to be canceled because there weren’t many follicles. We did another cycle and ER and ET resulting in a pregnancy.
He truly cares for his patients
He was so incredibly kind and caring and treated me like a person.
Very caring and compassionate
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very nice, caring, compassionate, trustworthy staff. Everyone on the team is like and treats you like family. They want to know about you and help you in anyway they can. They are helpful in any questions you have or concerns you may have.

2014 - 2019, Successful
We loved Dr. Young. He was so down to earth and compassionate. Yet at the same time very knowledgeable and professional. He has a great sense of humor, which is similar to my husbands, very witty. ... He takes everything step by step. Trying to do least invasive first before jumping to big guns. He started with timed intercourse with a trigger shot, a surgery to make sure everything was healthy, to IUI’s, the to IVf.
It’s a busy office [The Fertility Center of Michigan], so you first appointment will be a ways out. But once you start treatment they are on top of getting your appointments. ... They cared for me physically, mentally and emotionally. ... And very rarely do they call to move or change them. You can call anytime day or night and get answers! It’s amazing
We loved Dr. Young. He was so down to earth and compassionate. Yet at the same time very knowledgeable and professional. He has a great sense of humor, which is similar to my husbands, very witty. Which made me feel so comfortable and cared for!
Be patient through the whole process. He has a reason for his process and you have to trust it. He can seem very dry at times but once you have a few visits he is very open, caring and funny!
Dr.Young and staff always made be feel like I was a human. They cared for me physically, mentally and emotionally. They were always there for my questions and concerns. They were rooting for us just as hard as we were rooting for ourselves!
He takes everything step by step. Trying to do least invasive first before jumping to big guns. He started with timed intercourse with a trigger shot, a surgery to make sure everything was healthy, to IUI’s, the to IVf. He wants to give you a family just as much as you want one. But I also believe he wants to try all your options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our first Ivf cycle with egg retrieval, to being hyper stimulated and having to freeze rather then do a fresh. I was devastated. But the nurses assured me that this was best. For my health and any potential babies. And they were right! They held my hand and helped wipes my tears through the whole process. And the second transfer when it didn’t work, I could tell on the line that my nurse was just as devastated as I was. And I felt comfort in that. Knowing they are truly rooting for you
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It’s a busy office, so you first appointment will be a ways out. But once you start treatment they are on top of getting your appointments. And very rarely do they call to move or change them. You can call anytime day or night and get answers! It’s amazing
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Monitoring appointments where usually on time and down to the point. It was nice to just get the information you needed and move On to the next steps. No waiting for results. You got them right the.
It’s not cheap! This is the biggest down fall. I would say from our very first visit 5 yrs ago to date. On ALL treatments, meds, procedures, and lab work we have spent 20,000 (ball park )

2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] can be a bit dry but overall very personable. I felt very comfortable discussing my concerns with him. I feel that he was keeping my best interests in mind during the course of my treatment. There was one instance where he forgot my name but I didn't take it personal...He will be thorough if you ask the questions...My 3rd IVF cycle followed the same protocol as my 2nd cycle but was cancelled prior to the frozen embryo transfer because my uterine lining was possibly over-stimulated by the hormones and was not suitable for pregnancy.
Approximately $8000 for egg retrieval and fresh transfer [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] including medications and ultrasounds...It's a beautiful clinic with friendly and knowledgeable staff. The clinic is up-to-date and very clean. My favorite part is that they offer an on-site fertility counselor free of charge. The fertility counselor has been a great resource for managing my anxiety through my fertility treatments... She [nurse] communicates to me via email (at my request) as it is difficult for me to answer phone calls discussing personal matters while I'm at work. She is always very thorough in her instructions and answers ALL of my questions. I feel very comfortable communicating with her and am so glad that I was blessed with such an amazing IVF nurse.
He can be a bit dry but overall very personable. I felt very comfortable discussing my concerns with him. I feel that he was keeping my best interests in mind during the course of my treatment. There was one instance where he forgot my name but I didn't take it personal.
Be open, honest, and express all of your concerns. He will be thorough if you ask the questions.
He always was very thorough in answering my questions and explaining our fertility treatment plan. He apologized and showed concern when the outcome of our treatment was negative.
My first cycle was an embryo retrieval and fresh transfer of 2 embryos. If I remember correctly, gonal-f, hcg trigger were used and then progesterone through the 11th week of pregnancy. This procedure resulted in a successful pregnancy and birth of my daughter. My 2nd IVF cycle was a long protocol with frozen embryo transfer. The medications were Lupron, estradiol, and progesterone. This cycle did not result in pregnancy. My 3rd IVF cycle followed the same protocol as my 2nd cycle but was cancelled prior to the frozen embryo transfer because my uterine lining was possibly over-stimulated by the hormones and was not suitable for pregnancy. I am currently on my 4th IVF cycle. I have reverted back to the same protocol as my first cycle but with lower dose gonal-f as I do not require multiple follicle production. I do not yet know if the transfer produced a positive pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kim Helm)
Kim Helm is the most kind-hearted, caring, and knowledgeable nurse I've ever communicated with. She communicates to me via email (at my request) as it is difficult for me to answer phone calls discussing personal matters while I'm at work. She is always very thorough in her instructions and answers ALL of my questions. I feel very comfortable communicating with her and am so glad that I was blessed with such an amazing IVF nurse.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Approximately $8000 for egg retrieval and fresh transfer including medications and ultrasounds. Approximately $5000 for frozen embryo transfer including medications and ultrasounds.
Dr. Young is responsible with selecting the number of embryos to transfer. He has always suggested 2 embryos for my transfers in hopes of single or double births but no more than that as multiple births come with added risks and potential complications.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I once was not informed of estradiol results which resulted in a slight delay of my cycle.

2012 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] doesn't give false hope, he tells it like it is. I like his dry sense of humor. He really knows his stuff and is up to date on the latest things to try...you can message him questions on MyHealth if you think of any later. He is very receptive to questions...Long med protocol IVF, uterine scratch (worth a try, knew it might not help), grew embryo to blastocyst, next time doing a clotting factor panel and and ERA biopsy before transferring another embryo, will thaw all remaining and grow them all to blast to see how many keep going. No pregnancy yet, but we have embryos left. If the next round doesn't stick he said we can look into gestational carriers. Nursing Staff
[The Fertility Center of Michigan] is clean and pretty...The staff all work well together. The billing ladies are very helpful, too...There is one nurse that mixed up the date of our pregnancy test, which led to me seeing results before I was prepared to. Other than that, they have been excellent. Some have even shared their own fertility journeys. That was very helpful...We are at 25,000 out of pocket after three IVF cycles. The office covered the $800 time lapse photography for free for our last egg retrieval.
Dr. Young is very up front and honest. He explains things without making you feel dumb for asking. After each of our three failed IVF cycles, he made a personal phone call to express his condolences after. He answered calls from the on call doctor on a Saturday to make the best decision for some time sensitive treatment. He doesn't give false hope, he tells it like it is. I like his dry sense of humor. He really knows his stuff and is up to date on the latest things to try.
Ask questions about anything you don't understand. Take notes and you can message him questions on MyHealth if you think of any later. He is very receptive to questions.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is clean and pretty. I hate the fish tank though, when you have a procedure that requires a full bladder the running water noise on the tank makes you want to pee more! The staff all work well together. The billing ladies are very helpful, too.
They let me transfer 2 at once, but said 3 was too risky with my younger age of 36 and embryo quality.

2013 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. James Young] was always patient with our concerns and questions...has a wonderful and caring personality. He can put the most nervous or upset person at ease. He was very patient during our appointments. He made us feel completely comfortable and confident with the care we were receiving...I had 2 embryos transferred which resulted in our healthy baby girl being born...We used the antagonist protocol with bravelle and menopur to stimulate follicle production for about 11 days.
They [nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were super comforting throughout the process. Very good communication and made sure we knew exactly what to do and what to expect...Monitoring appointments were held during a window of time in the morning. I loved this because I was able to go before work. It allowed me to minimize using my personal time off for appointments...Approximately $12,000 total for blood work, ultrasounds, medications, egg retrieval, and transfer.
Dr. Young has a wonderful and caring personality. He can put the most nervous or upset person at ease. He was very patient during our appointments. He made us feel completely comfortable and confident with the care we were receiving.
Write down any questions or concerns you have before your appointment. Then you won't forget to ask them. I always wrote the answers down so I could remember later. Sometimes being nervous you may forget to ask questions or forget the information you were given. You could always call back and clarify if you need to.
He was always patient with our concerns and questions.
We used the antagonist protocol with bravelle and menopur to stimulate follicle production for about 11 days. After a few days of taking stimulation medicine they also added a morning injection of ganirelix to prevent premature ovulation. After 12 nights of stimulation Injections I had to administer a Lipton trigger shot to mature the eggs. I had my egg retrieval the next morning. The day of egg retrieval I started progesterone in oil injections. 2 days after retrieval I had 2 embryos transferred which resulted in our healthy baby girl being born.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They were super comforting throughout the process. Very good communication and made sure we knew exactly what to do and what to expect.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I felt welcomed to the fertility clinic during the first call to schedule my new patient consultation. The receptionists were very knowledgeable and friendly. The medical assistants and nurses were always reassuring. The doctors always made us feel safe, comfortable, and confident in our next step of treatment. We even got a personal call from our doctor congratulating us on our positive pregnancy test. Great office all around. You will not be disappointed.
Grand Rapids

He [Dr. Young] was candid and straight forward about treatment and our options. I feel like he followed SART guidelines and ethics protocol. I am very detail oriented so I would have preferred more in depth explanations, but overall he communicated well...He has a dry sense of humor which can come off as insensitive and might be off putting to some. My husband thinks he is hilarious... Protocol was chosen based on age, single Fallopian tube, prior ectopic pregnancy and normal AMH & FSH values. Currently stimulating for first egg retrieval.
Approximately $9500 for egg retrieval and transfer [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...They have a good track record, are organized, kind, compassionate, nice facility, offer services like genetic counseling, a fertility counselor, and support group. They have 4 offices throughout the state and are relatively easier to reach. They coordinate with my local clinic for monitoring which has been very helpful...[nurses is a] Very effective communicator. Took into consideration my personality (Type A) when giving info (eg I want all the details, numbers,etc) Friendly and excellent at organization.
He was candid and straight forward about treatment and our options. I feel like he followed SART guidelines and ethics protocol. I am very detail oriented so I would have preferred more in depth explanations, but overall he communicated well.
He remembered details about my husband and myself, kept a sense of humor and conversed with us about non fertility topics.
Antagonist protocol (BCP, 150 Gonal f, 75 menopur, cetrotide, hCG & Lupron trigger). I used Gonal during IUI so we had a good idea how I would respond. Protocol was chosen based on age, single Fallopian tube, prior ectopic pregnancy and normal AMH & FSH values. Currently stimulating for first egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Approximately $9500 for egg retrieval and transfer - totally out of pocket. After partial insurance about $100 for mock transfer/sonohytogram. Insurance covered office visits with $20 co pay. $400 annually for embryo storage. All the remaining lab testing and ultrasounds are partially covered by insurance, and balances vary based on type of test and remaining deductible.
Based on age I knew transferring 2 was a possibility, but was surprised that we could transfer up to 3. Otherwise, i trust that my doctor will only transfer the number of embryos he believes is healthy and safe.
Grand Rapids

if you want someone who will shoot you straight, and push forward without haste, then Dr. Young will be a great fit...may seem quiet and reserved at first, but he will become a fierce advocate, giving you nothing but his best...I have PCOS, so the first treatment strategy was Clomid with monitoring to see if that would help me ovulate. The outcome was little to no results.next I was put on Metformin (indefinitely). The next strategy was a combination of Clomid, Follistim, Ovidrel and timed intercourse. This treatment was successful in getting me to ovulate, but unfortunately it didn’t result in a pregnancy. With the help of Dr. Young we decided to stop current treatments and move forward with IVF. Within a month of stopping treatment, we got pregnant naturally but unfortunately suffered a chemical pregnancy. We are currently saving for IVF.
Every single nurse [at The Fertility Center of Michigan], every single time, from a long visit to a quick in and out visit, was nothing but caring, respectful, honest and empathetic. The nursing staff was prompt to respond to every message I left, little issue or big...The office was determined to find me the best deal for medicines that weren’t covered by insurance. They work with an online fertility pharmacy, and would give me the information to figure out what pharmacies near me had the best price for meds.
There was never a time that I left Dr. Young feeling confused about treatment, unheard about my feelings or concerns, or worried about what would be next. From the very beginning, my husband and I felt a sense of relief and calmness from our meetings with Dr. Young. He is soft spoken, but delivers news, treatment plans and options with conviction. If you want a Dr. that is going to tip-toe and proceed with caution, Dr. Young may not be the doctor for you. But if you want someone who will shoot you straight, and push forward without haste, then Dr. Young will be a great fit.
Know that Dr. Young may seem quiet and reserved at first, but he will become a fierce advocate, giving you nothing but his best.
Although Dr. Young is very thorough, it is sometimes his emotion, or lack of, during delivery of information that can seem a bit cold. I could see how, to some, the lack of emotion could equate to feeling like a number. However, with a matter such as infertility, I would rather have a Dr. be completely honest, straightforward, with less emotion, than a Dr. that sugar coats and withholds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy and Julie)
I have zero constructive criticism for the nursing staff. Every single nurse, every single time, from a long visit to a quick in and out visit, was nothing but caring, respectful, honest and empathetic. The nursing staff was prompt to respond to every message I left, little issue or big. If they didn’t have the answer, they would assure me that they would work until they found it, and they did. I can’t imagine this journey without them!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are busy, so make sure if you’re a new patient, to plan ahead! Initially it took a month and a half to get my first appointment. Now that I’m an established patient, I never have any issues getting appointments. The front desk staff is always on the ball, and accommodating. They have always tried their hardest to make sure that we have all of the information we need, and have worked with my strange work schedule on many occasions to make sure I got the appointment I needed. The first visit can be overwhelming, but very informative. You receive a large packet of all of the information discussed, in case you can’t remember it all. The staff is always there to answer any questions you may have.
My Insurance does not cover infertility treatments, however the billing staff would work with me to code things appropriately to save me the most money. Each visit I had a copay of $35. My medicines were sometimes covered, sometimes not. Although I believe this has to do with my insurance, not the provider. Clomid- $45. Metformin-$15. Follistim- $300/300iu $600/600iu. Ovidrel- $107. The office was determined to find me the best deal for medicines that weren’t covered by insurance. They work with an online fertility pharmacy, and would give me the information to figure out what pharmacies near me had the best price for meds.
Kalamazoo
Dr. Young is a very knowledgeable guy. He has a very dry sense of humor but he always made me feel comfortable. He always explained everything pretty clearly but it never seemed like he was talking down to us. He keeps an extremely tidy office... For IUI- We did femara along with injectables to hopefully get a better number of mature eggs without the extra cost of doing all injectables. For 3 cycles that worked.
I really have nothing great to say about the nurses [Fertility Center of MI]. None of them were particularly friendly. They never took the time to get to know us and never remembered us. We honestly had to explain our situation at every appointment. The ultrasound tech, Jillian, was the only one I felt comfortable with. Almost always when calling I had to leave a message and they would usually wait until the end of the day to return my call. They often returned it after they shut their phones off (at 3:30pm!) and if I didn't catch their call I would have to wait until the following day to speak with them.
Dr. Young is a very knowledgeable guy. He has a very dry sense of humor but he always made me feel comfortable. He always explained everything pretty clearly but it never seemed like he was talking down to us. He keeps an extremely tidy office, which seems to be rare for most doctors I have visited. He has a very steady hand and that always made me feel more at ease with him.
Ask as many questions as you can think of, he will answer them all. Don't ever leave, wishing you had the courage to ask something that may seem dumb. He will take his time and explain everything to you.
Every time we met with a nurse or doctor, we had to explain everything to them. They almost never remembered that we were using donor sperm... I hated repeating that over and over. Not a single person in 2 years remembered our names.
For IUI- We did femara along with injectables to hopefully get a better number of mature eggs without the extra cost of doing all injectables. For 3 cycles that worked. On the 4th and 5th, we had absolutely no response to the meds and the IUI was cancelled. All 3 cycles produced negative results. We also used the ovidrel trigger shot 24 hours before IUI. IVF- we started with birth control the month before to hopefully "align" the follicles. We began the cycle with Gonal-F and Menopur, added lupron to prevent early ovulation. When the majority of the follicles reach 18-20mm, we used an HCG trigger. Exactly 35 hours, we had the egg retrieval. The 12 eggs were fertilized using ICSI and 7 actually fertilized. All 7 made it to day 2, two 4 cell "day two embryos" were transferred and the other 5 were frozen. Both embryos implanted but only one progressed to have a heartbeat, the other disappeared over the next 16 weeks. We gave birth to a healthy son at 38 weeks.
I really have nothing great to say about the nurses. None of them were particularly friendly. They never took the time to get to know us and never remembered us. We honestly had to explain our situation at every appointment. The ultrasound tech, Jillian, was the only one I felt comfortable with. Almost always when calling I had to leave a message and they would usually wait until the end of the day to return my call. They often returned it after they shut their phones off (at 3:30pm!) and if I didn't catch their call I would have to wait until the following day to speak with them. It was extremely frustrating, especially when we are dealing with a time sensitive issue.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You have to strongly advocate for yourself. You will get lost in the mountain of patients otherwise. If you feel like the treatment they have you on isn't working, speak up. They let us keep going until we said "stop". We were 8 IUIs in when we finally realized this.
IUI procedure was about $400 Full ivf was about $12,000
They explained it to us but really left the choice up to us. They allowed us to transfer 2
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The nurse setting up my hsg did not tell me, until the morning of the procedure, that I needed an antibiotic. I had to rush around and get it. After my hsg the nurse told me that I had a "shaggy lining" I asked if it was an issue, if we should put off our IUI that was scheduled for that week... She said she would check with the Dr. (Shavell at the time) but it shouldn't be an issue. We never received a call to tell us wether or not to go ahead with the IUI so we came to our appointment anyway. I asked if Dr. Shavell had reviewed the results of my hsg and the nurse didn't give a clear response but basically said "yes, it's fine. It's just a little shaggy". 2 days after our IUI we got a phone call from a nurse telling us that Dr. Shavell was concerned with what she saw and was ordering a 3D ultrasound to get a better look. I ended up having multiple polyps and a fibroid. We wasted a bunch of money for absolutely no good reason... All because no one actually looked at the results of my hsg.

2012 - 2018, Successful
Dr Young always took time to explain everything and keep us informed of all options and advise us. ... He was compassionate and supportive of us and the decisions we made. Very thankful he was our physician. ... Our infertility was due to male factor. After multiple failed IUIs we tried IVF. After a fresh transfer resulted in a pregnancy loss we did a frozen transfer using the long protocol
It is clean, comfortable, and feels private. All of the staff [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are friendly and helpful and really seem to go above and beyond. You always know what to expect and feel safe in their hands. All of the physicians I encountered were amazing. Although we did not utilize them, support groups and counselors are offered to help you with this difficult journey. The nursing staff are all awesome as well. They almost feel like and family and are some of your biggest supporters and cheerleaders throughout the IVF process
Awesome doctor! He always explained everything clearly and answered our questions thoroughly. We always felt like he genuinely cared and was rooting for us. He was compassionate and supportive of us and the decisions we made. Very thankful he was our physician.
This is not an easy journey to be on. Be open and honest. Ask any questions you may have
Dr Young always took time to explain everything and keep us informed of all options and advise us. He seemed to genuinely care about us and helping us have a family
Wonderful! All were very supportive and helpful throughout the entire process. They cheered with you and were empathetic when things did not go as hoped. They made sure you understood everything from meds to procedures and were always available to answer questions
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is clean, comfortable, and feels private. All of the staff are friendly and helpful and really seem to go above and beyond. You always know what to expect and feel safe in their hands. All of the physicians I encountered were amazing. Although we did not utilize them, support groups and counselors are offered to help you with this difficult journey. The nursing staff are all awesome as well. They almost feel like and family and are some of your biggest supporters and cheerleaders throughout the IVF process
My health insurance did not cover anything. Overall with medications and treatment we spent around $20,000
I’m glad we transferred two. I had a singleton pregnancy but would have been okay with two babies as I always hoped to have a large family
Grand Rapids
I was very nervous going into TFC as my husband and I had been trying for 7+ years ...Dr. Young had me do a medication to induce a period (i can’t remember the name) and then chlomid after that. I was told when to take the ovidrel injection shot to make me ovulate. ... Dr. Young was extremely kind. ... Dr. Young tells you like it is. He is going to come up with the best plan to get you to your end goal.
I was very nervous going into TFC as my husband and I had been trying for 7+ years. All the staff were extremely friendly and helped make the process less nerve racking. ... Everyone is so friendly and compassionate to your situation. I wouldn’t change a thing. All of the staff from the check-in to check-out were marvelous. Everyone always had a smile on their face.
I was very nervous going into TFC as my husband and I had been trying for 7+ years. All the staff were extremely friendly and helped make the process less nerve racking. Dr. Young has explained that i should do a second hysterosalpingogram and when he could tell that i was visibly upset, he was able to ease my mind about it. I am so happy i listens because after that HSG, Dr. Young was able to help us come up with a good treatment plan and on our very first round of meds and injections we we blessed with our miracle baby! Avery is now 8 months old and as healthy as ever. This would have never happened without Dr. Young and the fertility center. We are forever thankful!
Dr. Young was extremely kind. He explained to me that i should get a second hysterosalpingogram and he could tell that i was visibly upset about having to go through that again and he talked me through it to put my mind at ease.
Dr. Young had me do a medication to induce a period (i can’t remember the name) and then chlomid after that. I was told when to take the ovidrel injection shot to make me ovulate. Then i went in for multiple ultrasounds of my ovaries so they could tell us when to do the timed intercourse. After our last ultrasound they told us when to do the times intercourse and then we were pregnant! On our first try!!
All the nurses were very friendly and helpful!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everyone is so friendly and compassionate to your situation. I wouldn’t change a thing. All of the staff from the check-in to check-out were marvelous. Everyone always had a smile on their face. Dr. Young was so kind and helpful. My husband and so are forever greatful to Dr. Young and all of the staff at TFC for our miracle baby!
I was extremely surprised. My doctors bills leading up to TFC were way more than any i got from TFC

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] is very knowledgeable and helpful...I underwent three months of femara and iui unsuccessfully. Then three with clomid that were unsuccessful. I moved on to ivf. My first retrieval did not go as planned. I had very few embryos. I can't remember the exact name of the protocol, but this next round we are going with the flare protocol... recommended multiple embryo transfer due to my age...was very calm and did a good job explaining procedures and answering my questions.
All the nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] was amazing. Heidi was my favorite because she was the most understanding and compassionate...Always return calls in a timely manner. Willing to answer any questions and offer support when needed. They definitely go the distance for their patients. I feel very comfortable with them and appreciate their help...I underwent three months of femara and iui unsuccessfully. Then three with clomid that were unsuccessful. I moved on to ivf. My first retrieval did not go as planned. I had very few embryos. I can't remember the exact name of the protocol, but this next round we are going with the flare protocol.
Very calm and patient, almost too much so. Did a great job explaining procedures and answering any questions or concerns. I always felt safe and comfortable. If I was worried or nervous, he did a great job to ease my fears.
Ask questions about your treatment if you have them. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Dr. Young was very calm and did a good job explaining procedures and answering my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
All the nursing staff was amazing. Heidi was my favorite because she was the most understanding and compassionate.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very compassionate. Always return calls in a timely manner. Willing to answer any questions and offer support when needed. They definitely go the distance for their patients. I feel very comfortable with them and appreciate their help.
Most of my cost was out of pocket. Some treatments were covered by insurance.
My doctor recommended multiple embryo transfer due to my age. It made sense to me and I felt comfortable with his decision.
Kalamazoo
Dr. Young is friendly, compassionate, and caring. He will tell you everything that is going on, which made me as a patient, feel very comforted. I do not see Dr. Young when I go in for my routine appointments, sometimes that is a little frustrating, although I do understand he is very busy. ... The first three months I was a patient of Dr. Young’s he had me doing timed cycles. We had a consultation shortly into month four and didn’t want to skip a month so we did another timed cycle. After those four months we have done 2 unsuccessful IUIs and just completed our third IUI, currently awaiting the results. All IUIs have been with Gonal-F injection
The Kalamazoo clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very friendly. From the minute you walk in the door they greet you by name with a smile. The staff is generally the same people which makes you feel more comfortable and less like a number. ... The nurse I generally see is amazing, supportive, honest, and informative. They are right there with you, encouraging you to stay strong but also understand you will have days you want to cry and scream.
Dr. Young takes the time to ensure you are comfortable.
The first three months I was a patient of Dr. Young’s he had me doing timed cycles. We had a consultation shortly into month four and didn’t want to skip a month so we did another timed cycle. After those four months we have done 2 unsuccessful IUIs and just completed our third IUI, currently awaiting the results. All IUIs have been with Gonal-F injections.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Kalamazoo clinic is very friendly. From the minute you walk in the door they greet you by name with a smile. The staff is generally the same people which makes you feel more comfortable and less like a number.
The cost for timed cycles, with my insurance, was covered except for the medication deductible of $40. The cost for IUI cycles, with my insurance, was $600, $40 for ovulation shot, and $40 per box of injections.
Kalamazoo

He [Dr. Young] is very caring and down to earth. Wants the best for us and truly wants to help.... He goes over every detail including the percentages/results from people my age with infertility issues and why he thinks we should try this. He wants to help us and get us results of a pregnancy. He truly cares about my husband and I.... First timed medicated cycle. I did gonel-f at 50 for 6 days and than ovudril after ultrasound/bloodwork said I was going to ovulate.
Very on top of everything. And always there to answer questions you have. Office staff [Fertility Center of Michigan] is always very friendly. And happy to help anytime you need it. No weaknesses. This office rocks. I definitely would tell a new patient to try to not be nervous. They truly want to help....Medicine cost was $40-$900 depending on my insurance. Ultrasound was half covered so that was $190. Bloodwork was covered. Office visit was $50
Nothing. He is a wonderful doctor.
He is very caring and down to earth. Wants the best for us and truly wants to help.
First timed medicated cycle. I did gonel-f at 50 for 6 days and than ovudril after ultrasound/bloodwork said I was going to ovulate. Second I did another medicated cycle. This time doing gonel-f at 75 for 7 days than the ultrasound/bloodwork. Than ovudril as directed
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy Brown)
Very informative & funny. Makes you feel better about the issues.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very on top of everything. And always there to answer questions you have. Office staff is always very friendly. And happy to help anytime you need it. No weaknesses. This office rocks. I definitely would tell a new patient to try to not be nervous. They truly want to help.
Kalamazoo

Dr. Young is very dry, but you can tell he cares deeply about his patients and what he does. He doesn’t sugar coat anything, which is exactly the type of doctor I love. He always provided different options but was respectful of your decision. ... We started with Clomid and moved our way up through treatment options. ... I appreciated how upfront Dr. Young was and I never felt like he was trying to rush me out.
This place [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is wonderful! We are now going back for round two now that our IVF daughter is 16 months! Everyone is so helpful and caring. They go above and beyond to make you feel validated, cared for, and comforted when needed. ... I love the nursing staff at the fertility center! They are fantastic people who truly care about the physical and emotional well-being of their patients.
He is very blunt and dry but a great Doctor!
We started with Clomid and moved our way up through treatment options.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This place is wonderful! We are now going back for round two now that our IVF daughter is 16 months! Everyone is so helpful and caring. They go above and beyond to make you feel validated, cared for, and comforted when needed.
Everything was expensive! I remember joking with the billing department if they wanted a kidney or a liver four different appointments. However, they were willing to work with you and let you know how much everything was upfront. Dori in billing is extremely helpful! Unfortunately, this go around our insurance no longer covers 50%. That 50% coverage was essential when going through the first round of IVF.
Grand Rapids

I have no weaknesses to report. The fertility center is amazing. All staff is always polite, kind and compassionate...The nursing staff and staff at the fertility center in general is amazing!...[Dr. James Young] is very patient but also straight forward and factual. I never feel confused when he is talking about treatment and what could come next...Although we are still not pregnant, dr young has been very clear each visit on what might come next, leaving no surprises for us. We love that he is very “to the point”. We have no doubt that he is setting our treatment plan in our best interest. Hoping we see a miracle soon...
Like any patient going through infertility I would encourage they come with a set of questions for their doctor! It can all be very confusing and you want the answers while you’re able to speak with them versus when you’re at home with no one to answer the questions
Dr young is very patient but also straight forward and factual. I never feel confused when he is talking about treatment and what could come next.
AMH year in April showing positive for PCOS, first round ovidrol and Femara in May-, also hsg showing blocked right tube, in May one follicle, second round in June 2 follicles on blocked side, surgery in July to open tube, third round in August, 2 follicles on left side- right side open from surgery, fourth round September- midcycle ultrasound tomorrow
The nursing staff and staff at the fertility center in general is amazing!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have no weaknesses to report. The fertility center is amazing. All staff is always polite, kind and compassionate. As said before, as a new patient be prepared to come with a list of potential questions so you can be ready to get all the answers you’d been waiting for for so long!
Affordable. Insurance covers ultra sounds, meds are around 70 a month, and surgeries were what was costly. Hsg around 400 and laparoscopy around 2500

2014 - 2019, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. James Young] is a very kind hearted person that my husband and i can talk to without feeling lots of grief when all we have in our mind is why? Why isn't anything working for us. He has went through many options with us to try and find some answers for us in our journey...When we would have appointments he would draw things out and explain word for word what we would expect and things he recommended we try...
the billing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] along with dr. young has worked with me with my insurance to get some things covered as we know not a lot of fertility is covered. The staff has also given me a couple numbers for medications so im not paying hundreds of dollars on one month of something. They have been very easy with taking payments on things...Its very homey and you just feel very comfortable. There is a lot of privacy in all the rooms so you dont feel awkward. I like where its at because when you walk in you know everyone is there for the same thing.
When we would have appointments he would draw things out and explain word for word what we would expect and things he recommended we try. He knew that we did want to spend a lot of money because things are expansive so he told us different options to try first before jumping into spending thousands of dollars. He looked out for the best interest of my husband and myself. He knew our struggle as we had a miscarriage before all the fertilty treatments. He knows how bad we want to be parents and is trying to get that to happen and find the outcome as he knows it can happen.
Listen to him, he knows what hes talking about. He is not just your doctor. Hes a ear that will listen to you and give you advice and make sure its what YOU want for yourself. He wants to give eveyone the wish of becoming a parent.
He is a very kind hearted person that my husband and i can talk to without feeling lots of grief when all we have in our mind is why? Why isn't anything working for us. He has went through many options with us to try and find some answers for us in our journey.
When we met with Dr. Young we first went over everything that he needed to know we had been trying to conceive for a year. I was referred by my family doctor to him. We explained how we had a miscarriage 2 years prior to coming here. He went over different things and treaments for us. We decided to start on femara. That wasn't working so he suggested i do a HSG. We did that it came back that my one tube was clear and good. The other one they couldn't see at all. The doctor didnt know if i had one or if it was there but inflamed as i had a person training and i tensed up. I was on the femera for quite awhile so he then put me on clomid in addition to injections. That still wasnt working so he upped ny dose. My husband then was tested and it showed he motility was low. So he then had us do a iui along with my injections and clomid throughout the whole time being at the fertilty clinic he also had me take progesterone pills. We are now to the point of having a laperscopic surgery to get some more answers as to why we still cant conceive. We are hoping for some good news. In all of this he has expalined to us every bit of the procedure and what will go in my body. He has told us different over the counter medications for myself and my husband to take to also help with conceiving.
All the nursing staff are so nice. They definitely all have a heart. And some have been in the same position as myself and others. They are so easy to talk to and always have a smile on there face. They always try to make you feel better or put you in a good mood. They always know what to say when you may feel discouraged or feel like giving up. They are definitely there because they love there job.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think everything about this clinic is perfect. Its very homey and you just feel very comfortable. There is a lot of privacy in all the rooms so you dont feel awkward. I like where its at because when you walk in you know everyone is there for the same thing.
They had specific days and times that you needed to come in. It may have messed with my work schedule. But it had nothing to do with the place. Its just how our body works. I know there are many people going through what i am so i understand. There are only certain days we can be seen at the clinic but that is because thats when they will be able to see things better in our body because of the cycle day we are on our what it looks like for the month. You cant have a baby any day of the month and they know that, thats why they plan accordingly to your cycle and when is best for your body
Everything has been very expensive. But the billing staff along with dr. young has worked with me with my insurance to get some things covered as we know not a lot of fertility is covered. The staff has also given me a couple numbers for medications so im not paying hundreds of dollars on one month of something. They have been very easy with taking payments on things. The only thing i wish they did was payments on iui or ivf. Instead of needing money up front. It can get discouraging knowing your doing all this paying all this for a possibility a what if. And if it doesn't happen you spend that all over again. I wish there was better payment options like that.
He is very productive in what he does.