5.8

Traverse City, MI 49684
3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525

2018 - 2020, Successful
Dr. Young treated me like a human being and not like a broken patient. He took time to ensure that I understood ad agreed with each of my treatment plan...I kept developing uterine polyps from the estrogen prime while we attempted to prepare for FET. After multiple removals I consulted with Dr. Young. We stopped estrogen and did a Femara protocol to shut down my estrogen. This worked and I was able to do a FET weeks later.
[issues with Fertility Center of Michigan] I would have to call for results, remind of tests the doctor wanted me to have, RXs were called in when I was allergic...We did a multi cycle IVF for around $12,000 add in what insurance didn't cover and it's closer to $20,000...I met nearly all nurses having been with the clinic for 2 years. Most are amazing...[Billing Dept.] sometime claiming I owed when it was part of a package
How was your experience with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young treated me like a human being and not like a broken patient. He took time to ensure that I understood ad agreed with each of my treatment plan. When I felt frustrated he sensed it and took extra time to reassure and educate me. When a doctor is passionate and authentic about their chosen field it's obvious. And Dr. Young is one of those doctors.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Don't be afraid to come with questions because he will spend the time to explain and review with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Human. He took so much time to ensure I understood and agreed with the treatment plan.
Describe the protocols James Young (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I met nearly all nurses having been with the clinic for 2 years. Most are amazing. All are kind. Some more organized than others.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The administrative staff has some weaknesses. The billing Dept wasn't always friendly. I paid tens of thousands and it seemed they thought no was trying to skip out on paying a few hundred. Or sometime claiming I owed when it was part of a package. Their tone would become forceful. The nurses genuinely cares for me and some even reached out during the quarentine to check up on me. The office is clean and typically runs very efficently. The sonographers are also very important people at the clinic and were all amazingly kind.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe James Young (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The quality of my embryos were suspect so we we froze all, each cycle, on day 2. We did not take them to day 5 prior to transfer and instead chose to transfer 2 good quality embroys.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Depending on the nurse I had during the that time, some being better than others, I would have to call for results, remind of tests the doctor wanted me to have, RXs were called in when I was allergic but overall, in the 2 years, these were few instances.

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Young is very professional he has good knowledge of endometriosis and the paths to take to pregnancy...He is dry and witty and has a way of making you feel comfortable...we started with famera and were going to move on to IUI. When an endometrioma was discovered before my first IUI cycle, we pivoted to egg retrieval...
the nurses [of Fertility Center of Michigan] are all very friendly. They know my name and always are able to answer my questions/get back to me in a timely manor...doctors are very compassionate, everyone is willing to answer questions and the doctors have a warm sense of humor...but sometimes you have to ask for things or remind them of situations...[cost]17k plus meds so far
Dr Young is very professional he has good knowledge of endometriosis and the paths to take to pregnancy. I am confidant I will get where I want to be with him as my doctor. He is dry and witty and has a way of making you feel comfortable
ask lots of questions
the nurses and doctors are very compassionate, everyone is willing to answer questions and the doctors have a warm sense of humor
we started with famera and were going to move on to IUI. When an endometrioma was discovered before my first IUI cycle, we pivoted to egg retrieval. This proved difficult, as I needed higher and higher doses to get my follicles to develop. My first cycle i had 5 follicles, got one egg and one embryo. Thankfully, TFC has a multi egg retrieval program where for only 3 thousand dollars more than one cycle and transfer you can do 3 revivals, bank your eggs and do a transfer after your third retrieval. Eventually we got 6 embryos and froze them all. I then had endo surgery and had a transfer that failed. We tried for another transfer but canceled it due to a hormone producing ovarian cyst. We treated that with birth control, and while waiting we decided to do the recurrent pregnancy loss workup where we found polyps in my uterus. I had surgery scheduled to remove the polyps but that was canceled due to Corona virus.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: it was a team)
the nurses are all very friendly. They know my name and always are able to answer my questions/get back to me in a timely manor
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
they're smart, but sometimes you have to ask for things or remind them of situations. I asked for the recurrent miscarriage workup, eset, etc. Or remind them I have endo so thats why I think this way.
17k plus meds so far
I asked to do one in our next transfer, he had no problem with it, but it was not offered
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had a nurse prescribe a certain amount of injections, but didn't call in the correct size vial

2015 - 2020, Successful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Young is very dry, so if you need a touchy feely person, he is not the doctor for you. However, I like that personality, and I appreciated how matter of fact he was. While he didn't sugar coat anything, I felt he cared about me as a person and the heartbreak I was going through...I feel he always did what was best for us but allowed us to make the decisions...He truly cares about his patients.
The only weakness [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is the hours. It would be nice if they were open later in the evening for ultrasounds and consultations. Everyone in the office is extremely personable, compassionate, and helpful. The Billing department has the best "customer service" I have ever received! They are so helpful when dealing with insurance companies and trying to pay for expensive procedures.
He truly cares about his patients.
I never felt rushed. Dr. Young always answered all of my questions, and when I would have a negative result, he personally called me to express how sorry he was at the result.
Oh man, what didn't we do? Dr. Young was always very upfront with the results and didn't sugar coat anything. After two failed IUIs, he ordered more testing for the sperm. Instead of allowing us to continue with IUIs, even though there was a chance, he recommended IVF as the best option. I feel he always did what was best for us but allowed us to make the decisions.
The nurses at the center are fantastic. When going through IVF, you get to know them well. The whole staff deeply care about their patients and want to make the experience has painless as possible. I know giving negative results isn't easy, but they do it with compassion and empathy.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The only weakness is the hours. It would be nice if they were open later in the evening for ultrasounds and consultations. Everyone in the office is extremely personable, compassionate, and helpful. The Billing department has the best "customer service" I have ever received! They are so helpful when dealing with insurance companies and trying to pay for expensive procedures.
We were lucky and during our first procedure our insurance covered 50% of procedures. However, even with that, I'm certain we have spent over $20,000 over the course of our treatment.

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
[Dr. Young] helped guide us through the process of genetic testing and the services offered by the clinic...My husband and I were exploring the possibility of IVF to insure our child wouldn't inherit a potentially dangerous gene carried by my partner...helped us to determine that my husband was NOT carrying that gene...was discovered that I did in fact struggle with infertility...His confidence has inspired us to not lose hope that we may add a child to our family someday
[The Fertility Center of Michigan] is convenient because it offers multiple locations and the staff is always working hard to fit everyone in smoothly...The nursing staff is always adept at returning calls and communicating effectively. As the primary patient contacts, they are always thinking ahead...Only one minor inconvenience when my script was not sent in one month. Staff corrected the issue promptly and apologized
When we first met Dr. Young we had not anticipated infertility issues. My husband and I were exploring the possibility of IVF to insure our child wouldn't inherit a potentially dangerous gene carried by my partner. He helped guide us through the process of genetic testing and the services offered by the clinic. It helped us to determine that my husband was NOT carrying that gene after all. We were able to pivot smoothly when after a year it was discovered that I did in fact struggle with infertility after all. His confidence has inspired us to not lose hope that we may add a child to our family someday.
Be prepared and listen. Dr. Young is an excellent communicator, and I'm confident he can answer any question posed or at least work to find the answer.
Dr. Young and staff are always careful to treat their patients with dignity, respect, and sensitivity to the problems at hand. They do not see you as a number, or even a name - they see the whole person and treat the whole person.
Femara 2.5mg (1 round) - ineffective Femara 5mg (1 round) - ineffective Femara 7.5mg (6 rounds) - increase in follicle production every time. 1 successful conception ending in ectopic pregnancy. IVF - Referred but on hold due to Covid-19 pandemic.
The nursing staff is always adept at returning calls and communicating effectively. As the primary patient contacts, they are always thinking ahead and working hard to help their patients feel confident.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is convenient because it offers multiple locations and the staff is always working hard to fit everyone in smoothly. With fertility matters, treatment isn't always "black and white", but the clinic is very adept at remaining flexible to suit the client's needs.
Costs run about $300 - $400 per month for my follicle scans, consults, and meds.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Only one minor inconvenience when my script was not sent in one month. Staff corrected the issue promptly and apologized.
2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us... is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us...Just be aware he is flat affected so if you're expecting an upbeat personality, you won't get that from him. It's not that he doesn't care, it's just not his personality
We love Libby [nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan]! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question...For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000...Strengths: They treat you really well when you're doing IVF Weaknesses: When asked what I needed to do differently according to diet, exercise, etc. They said nothing when other clinics would give me a list of things to do to help our chances.
Dr Young is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us.
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby )
We love Libby! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question.
For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000
2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
[Dr. Young] was very calm, patient, and reassuring when he explained our options and how we would proceed through our plan. He took time to draw diagrams of our plan. He asked questions of us in order to get to know us outside of our treatment...I have PCOS. We began by doing 2 cycles of trying on our own treated with Femara, gonal-f, ovidrel, and progesterone. Next, we did a cycle of IUI using those same medications....
[The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very clean and welcoming. The waiting area is relaxed. All of the staff I've seen have been polite and helpful...The nurses are very helpful and responsive. You always receive a call back the same day...They forgot to order a lab, but it was corrected the same day...Approx $600 for an IUI..I have PCOS. We began by doing 2 cycles of trying on our own treated with Femara, gonal-f, ovidrel, and progesterone. Next, we did a cycle of IUI using those same medications.
He was very calm, patient, and reassuring when he explained our options and how we would proceed through our plan. He took time to draw diagrams of our plan. He asked questions of us in order to get to know us outside of our treatment.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. He's very thoughtful and thorough with his answers.
He took the time to explain our options. He used pictures and diagrams to show us exactly how our process would work.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is very clean and welcoming. The waiting area is relaxed. All of the staff I've seen have been polite and helpful. There have been a few instances where I received a bill when I actually had a credit, but that is due to special circumstances.
Approx $600 for an IUI
He said they typically transfer 2 embryos, but we have not reached that step yet.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
They forgot to order a lab, but it was corrected the same day.

1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr Young did my embryo transfer procedure. He called and left a message with my egg retrieval results and said “we retrieved 11 eggs but only 1 fertilized. It’s mediocre with little or no chance of surviving. We can see if you still want to transfer.” So I called him back, was put on hold for a half an hour, hung up, called back 3-5 more times. He finally called me back and laughed when he answered. He said well you’re in you’re 30s right? And I said no I’m 28. He laughed and said “close enough, I guess we can transfer.” When we got to transfer day, he did not greet us, did not explain what he was going, the lab door leading in to the room was open the whole time, we waited probably 15 min for the lab to bring in the embryo. During that time I had the speculum and ultrasound going. So I was sitting there in the stirrups with a door in front of me wide open. No one spoke. No congratulations. I felt like a lab rat.
The Kalamazoo clinic [of Fertility Center of Michigan] is ok. The front desk staff and ultrasound tech I had were great. They do not send appointment reminders. They seem to have lost sight of what IVF patients are going through and what it means to need IVF...When we got to transfer day, he [Dr. Young] did not greet us, did not explain what he was going, the lab door leading in to the room was open the whole time, we waited probably 15 min for the lab to bring in the embryo. During that time I had the speculum and ultrasound going. So I was sitting there in the stirrups with a door in front of me wide open. No one spoke. No congratulations. I felt like a lab rat.
Don’t see him! Find another doctor who cares.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Kalamazoo clinic is ok. The front desk staff and ultrasound tech I had were great. They do not send appointment reminders. They seem to have lost sight of what IVF patients are going through and what it means to need IVF.
Grand Rapids
[Dr. James Young was] Very understanding without being too direct. Answered all my questions and never made us feel uncared for or unheard. I was hesitant to have a male RE, however after seeing him I trust him 100 percent... Sometimes he forgot what we have done while in the appointment...Not a fan of my anxiety medical jokes haha
I am question asker and so is my husband but I feel as though they could be more forthright with information [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...I never can call and get an appointment, I have to leave a message and wait for them to call me back. Sometimes I have to call twice...I had a very important appointment that I scheduled but was never I put into the system, so when I showed they had no record of it. They got me in but it was a very rushed appointment and I had to wait 30 minutes...
Not a fan of my anxiety medical jokes haha
Sometimes he forgot what we have done while in the appointment
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Communication is the things that pops out. I am question asker and so is my husband but I feel as though they could be more forthright with information. This is unknown territory for most walking in off the street.
We’ve spent well over 5000
Grand Rapids

Dr. Young is slightly deadpan in his delivery or information. If you’re looking for someone who will tell you his honest opinion, he definitely will. It was comforting to me that he would tell me his thoughts or what would be beat for our treatment instead of laying out all the options and having me decide.... Know that you will not see him at every appointment. The clinic works so that whichever doctor is available is the one that sees you. They are all extremely capable.
I liked all the staff [at The Fertility Ctr of MI], the early hours they were open for appointments, and that they offered a counselor for free to any of their patients. I was slightly disappointed that they close at 3:30, but I understand that they have calls to make to IVF patients at that time.... IVF with FET was 13,000 at the fertility center, 4,000 for meds (not including meds for FET), and 6,000 to do genetic testing with an outside location.
Dr. Young did a thorough job explaining our options to me. He helped us come to a decision to go forward with IVF.
I am in the middle of my IVF cycle now, so I am not sure the results yet. But I have appreciated that the medicine they wanted me to buy was almost exactly what I needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Everyone was extremely thorough and compassionate. I felt well cared for through every interaction.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I liked all the staff, the early hours they were open for appointments, and that they offered a counselor for free to any of their patients. I was slightly disappointed that they close at 3:30, but I understand that they have calls to make to IVF patients at that time.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had an appointment scheduled for a SHG at 10am, but in the appointment calendar at the clinic it was in for 8am. They could see in their system that I had been scheduled for 10 to check in but for 8am in a room for the procedure. I showed up at 10, and they did find time to fit me in for my procedure. I was thankful they made it right.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Young explained everything about our next steps in treatment in detail. He is straight to the point, but will answer any questions that you have. We never felt rushed in the appointment and were able to have all of our questions answered no matter how small it might be...He has so much knowledge...He discussed why previous treatments hadn’t worked and why he was recommending me to use oral medication and injectables. He discussed why my lab values and PCOS were affecting our fertility each month and how this new plan would help us overcome my medical issues. So far, I have not fallen pregnant, but I am positive that we will get the right treatment plan and positive pregnancy soon.
There are two nurses that I work with [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] every time I go into the office. They are both so compassionate and make me feel like they actually care about each cycle and helping us start our family. They help to explain the treatment plan from the doctor and answer any questions that I might have. I never feel rushed when I am in with my nurses...I don’t know if I have enough words to explain how much I have loved working with this clinic. The staff at the front desk remember me and my preferences, including that I like to pay my bill before I am seen, so that I can get back to work quicker. They are often running early for appointments. Everyone is friendly and caring and make me feel like I am being cared for every step of this journey. Scheduling is often quite easy with my work schedule. If I have to call and leave a message, someone is calling me back in less than an hour... This clinic has given me hope. Clinic Nps
Have a list of questions ready to ask Dr. Young. He has so much knowledge and was able to answer questions I wasn’t able to find from “Dr. Google”
Dr. Young sat down with my husband and I and explained my treatments in detail and kept asking if we had any questions or concerns throughout the whole visit. He truly listened to us and what we were looking for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
There are two nurses that I work with every time I go into the office. They are both so compassionate and make me feel like they actually care about each cycle and helping us start our family. They help to explain the treatment plan from the doctor and answer any questions that I might have. I never feel rushed when I am in with my nurses.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have copays for every visit with the doctor. I often have $20-40 to pay after insurance for my ultrasounds/screen-scans. Medication has ranged from $10 per cycle to $175 per cycle after insurance.
Kalamazoo

Dr. Young gave us lots of advice on what treatment options to pursue first and what was best for us. He never judged us for pursuing fertility treatments in our early twenties. My health was always his #1 priority and he would take possible concerns seriously...He encouraged us to try options that were not as financially difficult since we were so young and had only tried clomid before meeting him. He made us feel like we had control over what treatments we would be doing, yet we knew he would not put us in a situation that did not make sense. His humor and social skills are a bit dry, but he is so smart and knows what he is doing. He took time to get to know us and made sure we left the office knowing exactly what to do and what to expect. For our IVF cycle, he would not add more treatments to our plan without asking us and explaining the benefits. We have always trusted Dr. Young to help us make the best decisions for us to start our family. Although we did not see him at every visit, he was always available via phone if needed.
I had my retrieval but was close to overstimulation, so my fresh transfer was cancelled [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...There are no words that could ever describe my love for the nursing staff...They are so compassionate and take the time to really explain our treatment plans. I have never left feeling overwhelmed or confused. They are so encouraging, yet realistic about what to expect. They have asked me what I expect and desire from them (blunt or straight to the point, talking it out vs. letting it sink in, etc). They truly are wonderful and so experienced.
Dr. Young has always taken us seriously from our first meeting. He encouraged us to try options that were not as financially difficult since we were so young and had only tried clomid before meeting him. He made us feel like we had control over what treatments we would be doing, yet we knew he would not put us in a situation that did not make sense. His humor and social skills are a bit dry, but he is so smart and knows what he is doing. He took time to get to know us and made sure we left the office knowing exactly what to do and what to expect. For our IVF cycle, he would not add more treatments to our plan without asking us and explaining the benefits. We have always trusted Dr. Young to help us make the best decisions for us to start our family. Although we did not see him at every visit, he was always available via phone if needed.
Trust that he will help you make the best decisions for your personal and unique situation. Also, that he may not seem as personable/warm in person, however his actions speak wonders of how much he cares and desires for his patients to start their families.
Although his social skills were a bit dry and awkward, Dr. Young gave us lots of advice on what treatment options to pursue first and what was best for us. He never judged us for pursuing fertility treatments in our early twenties. My health was always his #1 priority and he would take possible concerns seriously.
Dr. Young started me on metformin right away due to my pcos. I started at 1000mg and worked up to 1500mg. I continue to receive 6 month blood work checks for this med. When we first started at the fertility center, we had only tried 50mg, 100mg, and 150mg of clomid at our OBGYN. Dr Young suggested clomid along with metformin and ovidrel. We tried 100mg and 150mg, not timed intercourse with no success due to no follicle growth. He then suggested femara 7.5mg with ovidrel. I responded to that and tried that for a few months with timed intercourse. Eventually I did femara, ovidrel and IUI with no success for about 2 months. I then moved to injections (gonal f) and did this for a couple months with IUI with no success. When then decided on IVF. I had my retrieval but was close to overstimulation, so my fresh transfer was cancelled. Our frozen transfer is in October. Dr. Young told us after the first few months of IUIs, that we may need to look into IVF, but he never made us feel pressured to jump into it until we gave it a few more tries.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There are no words that could ever describe my love for the nursing staff at The Fertility Center. They are so compassionate and take the time to really explain our treatment plans. I have never left feeling overwhelmed or confused. They are so encouraging, yet realistic about what to expect. They have asked me what I expect and desire from them (blunt or straight to the point, talking it out vs. letting it sink in, etc). They truly are wonderful and so experienced.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everyone in the office, no matter the role, is friendly and compassionate. If you leave a message, they will get back with you in a timely manner. There is a lot that is not covered by most insurances, but that is not their fault personally, but it’s good to know going into it.
My ultrasound and blood work was covered by insurance. IUIs were about $500-$600. And IVF cost roughly $9,000 with the extra cost of FET at $2,000 and meds around $3,000. Time lapse photography was around the upper hundreds to $1,000.
Dr. Young told us the benefits and pros/cons of transferring 2 vs. 1. He let us decided based on our preference after educating us on our options.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
There was only one time that I had gotten a phone call from a nurse that was supposed to go over my instructions. I had previously met with a nurse at the clinic and had my instructions written down, the phone call was to go over them one last time. The nurse on the phone was giving me different instructions (lower dosage than prescribed and wrong timing). After I said I did not think that was accurate she stated “let me open your chart.” It was concerning that she had called to go over meds, but implied that my chart had never been open to begin with. I complained to the clinic at my next visit, as my instructions were for a new cycle of gonal f, which is expensive medication to have it not work for a cycle.
Grand Rapids

Doctor Young took the time to explain everything in terms that both my husband and I would understand, even drawing pictures at times. He made sure that we both agreed and understood the plan going forward...He also gave us ways to increase our chances such as reduce alcohol use, exercise, eat well, etc... With that and my husband's low motility, he had us start with IUI, first having me take Femera so I would ovulate on time and possibly produce more then one egg, then going to an ultrasound to make sure an egg had formed, and then using ovidrel so they could time the IUI treatment even closer to ovulation.
Because the doctors [The Fert Ctr] rotate to their other offices, it isn't uncommon that you talk to all of them at one point or another. I personally think that is a good thing, because I feel like I get all of their expertise involved in my care. Everyone is very knowledgeable in what they do and they are able to make you feel like you have control going forward and they give you hope again.
He was very good at describing our treatment in easy to understand terms also providing pictures when necessary. He always made sure we understood before moving on to the next area. He took time to ask about what we do and got to know us a little bit and also joked around with us. It helped for us to both feel comfortable and we left feeling like we had some control over the situation again.
Doctor Young will go over everything you need but I think it is always good to know a little background on fertility treatments.
Doctor Young took the time to explain everything in terms that both my husband and I would understand, even drawing pictures at times. He made sure that we both agreed and understood the plan going forward and even took some time to get to know what we both do and joked with us. He made us feel comfortable during a tough discussion and made us feel like we had some small amount of control back.
Before we had met Dr. Young my obgyn had already had me try 4 rounds of clomid because of my irregular cycles. With that and my husband's low motility, he had us start with IUI, first having me take Femera so I would ovulate on time and possibly produce more then one egg, then going to an ultrasound to make sure an egg had formed, and then using ovidrel so they could time the IUI treatment even closer to ovulation. He also gave us ways to increase our chances such as reduce alcohol use, exercise, eat well, etc.
After my ultrasound the nurse sat down with me to do over the next steps for treatment. She made sure I was able to get the medicine I needed on time and that I understood what would happen going forward.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Because the doctors rotate to their other offices, it isn't uncommon that you talk to all of them at one point or another. I personally think that is a good thing, because I feel like I get all of their expertise involved in my care. Everyone is very knowledgeable in what they do and they are able to make you feel like you have control going forward and they give you hope again.
I don't remember the cost of the initial consultation appointment but the ultrasound and meet up with the nurse was around $250 and the actual IUI was $600. They gave me resources to get the ovidrel at a more reasonable cost, which was around $35.

2016 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. Young] was kind but always straight to the point- which is what I wanted. He always gave his advice and allowed us time to process it and make the best decisions for us ... My situation was unexplainable infertility . Started with clomid 3 rounds - then took a break - 3 more rounds - then chlomid with injections 3 rounds - sperm test - 3 rounds IUI - then IVF ...
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are typically always on time . Quick, knowledgeable and understanding it’s an emotional journey . Billing lady is a little defensive. I’m sure she deals with a lot of people questioning their bill. However, if you call and ask her anything just expect her to sound annoyed with you and quick to defend herself rather then listen to you. ... [nursing staff] Always kind and efficient
He is black and white. I never felt like he just wanted our money. He educated us and told us his recommendation. His recommendation was typically the fastest route to a baby which is what we wanted. He didn’t make us try everything and waste all our money. He was specific with our situation.
He is not their to console you. Appreciate his knowledge and take his advice.
He was kind but always straight to the point- which is what I wanted. He always gave his advice and allowed us time to process it and make the best decisions for us.
Everyone’s situation is different. My situation was unexplainable infertility . Started with clomid 3 rounds - then took a break - 3 more rounds - then chlomid with injections 3 rounds - sperm test - 3 rounds IUI - then IVF
Always kind and efficient
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are typically always on time . Quick, knowledgeable and understanding it’s an emotional journey . Billing lady is a little defensive. I’m sure she deals with a lot of people questioning their bill. However, if you call and ask her anything just expect her to sound annoyed with you and quick to defend herself rather then listen to you.
Expensive. I don’t know exacts , lucky my insurance at the time covered some ultrasounds . I paid around $100 a visit $8,000+ in Meds $10,000 in treatments
I’m not sure my doctors approach ... he recommended to put two in. I did and after 4 embryos I have a healthy baby boy
Grand Rapids

Dr. Young was very thorough in explaining everything to us in a way we would understand. He breaks everything down so we know exactly what we will be dealing with. He knows what the end goal for us is and is helping us do whatever it takes to get there.... We did quite a few rounds of fertility medications, one round of injectable and two IUI treatments. All were unsuccessful so now we must move on to IVF.
The clinics strengths are that they [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] have a very professional and supportive staff. From the receptionist to the nurses and doctors, everyone is there for a common purpose of helping couples achieve pregnancy....All of the nurses at the clinic are very professional and so friendly. They understand the sensitive nature of their job so it is so great that they try to be positive for their patients (when it is sometimes hard for the patient themselves to be positive).
Tell him everything you want to get out of your time at the clinic and express all concerns and fears.
Dr. Young gave us his undivided attention when addressing all of our concerns and fears.
We did quite a few rounds of fertility medications, one round of injectable and two IUI treatments. All were unsuccessful so now we must move on to IVF. Dr. Young gave many chances to get pregnant before having to move to the most invasive and expensive treatment.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinics strengths are that they have a very professional and supportive staff. From the receptionist to the nurses and doctors, everyone is there for a common purpose of helping couples achieve pregnancy.
I cannot remember exact costs of certain treatments but I do know part of the ultrasounds have been covered by our insurance. There is an office visit cost as well. All medications are out of pocket. The billing dept is pretty easy to deal with and you can make payments on your account.
2012 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] was so incredibly kind and caring and treated me like a person...He was very informative and compassionate with us and wanted to make sure he helped us in our very way he could. He explained in detail what would work for us and our chances of receiving pregnancy. Talked through the procedure and what to do and expect...I had cysts for a few months and one cycle needed to be canceled because there weren’t many follicles. We did another cycle and ER and ET resulting in a pregnancy.
[The nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan were] Very caring and compassionate...trustworthy staff. Everyone on the team is like and treats you like family. They want to know about you and help you in anyway they can. They are helpful in any questions you have or concerns you may have...I had cysts for a few months and one cycle needed to be canceled because there weren’t many follicles. We did another cycle and ER and ET resulting in a pregnancy.
He truly cares for his patients
He was so incredibly kind and caring and treated me like a person.
Very caring and compassionate
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very nice, caring, compassionate, trustworthy staff. Everyone on the team is like and treats you like family. They want to know about you and help you in anyway they can. They are helpful in any questions you have or concerns you may have.
Grand Rapids
Dr. Young was very professional. We could tell he had many years of experience but that he had removed his ability to get attached or emotional about patients. He knows what he is talking about and is good at explaining the game plan...I took clomid to force me to ovulate when we wanted. I went in for an x ray to see the follicles and tell me when to take my injection.
[Fertility Center of Michigan] It’s a very clean area. Very professional and very knowledgeable. They will go out of their way to help you understand how everything works and off tops and tricks that have helped their other patients in the past...[Dr. Young] He knows what he is talking about and is good at explaining the game plan.
Dr Young was very professional. We could tell he had many years of experience but that he had removed his ability to get attached or emotional about patients. He knows what he is talking about and is good at explaining the game plan.
Be ready to go full force with whatever option you so choose.
He was very straightforward and unattached. However we were getting to know him more. He was dedicated to getting results in the best way possible
I took clomid to force me to ovulate when we wanted. I went in for an x ray to see the follicles and tell me when to take my injection. Then I would come back when I had ovulated for Insemination. Then told to wait until period came and if it did come call back to set up next cycle.
They were very kind.

2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] can be a bit dry but overall very personable. I felt very comfortable discussing my concerns with him. I feel that he was keeping my best interests in mind during the course of my treatment. There was one instance where he forgot my name but I didn't take it personal...He will be thorough if you ask the questions...My 3rd IVF cycle followed the same protocol as my 2nd cycle but was cancelled prior to the frozen embryo transfer because my uterine lining was possibly over-stimulated by the hormones and was not suitable for pregnancy.
Approximately $8000 for egg retrieval and fresh transfer [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] including medications and ultrasounds...It's a beautiful clinic with friendly and knowledgeable staff. The clinic is up-to-date and very clean. My favorite part is that they offer an on-site fertility counselor free of charge. The fertility counselor has been a great resource for managing my anxiety through my fertility treatments... She [nurse] communicates to me via email (at my request) as it is difficult for me to answer phone calls discussing personal matters while I'm at work. She is always very thorough in her instructions and answers ALL of my questions. I feel very comfortable communicating with her and am so glad that I was blessed with such an amazing IVF nurse.
He can be a bit dry but overall very personable. I felt very comfortable discussing my concerns with him. I feel that he was keeping my best interests in mind during the course of my treatment. There was one instance where he forgot my name but I didn't take it personal.
Be open, honest, and express all of your concerns. He will be thorough if you ask the questions.
He always was very thorough in answering my questions and explaining our fertility treatment plan. He apologized and showed concern when the outcome of our treatment was negative.
My first cycle was an embryo retrieval and fresh transfer of 2 embryos. If I remember correctly, gonal-f, hcg trigger were used and then progesterone through the 11th week of pregnancy. This procedure resulted in a successful pregnancy and birth of my daughter. My 2nd IVF cycle was a long protocol with frozen embryo transfer. The medications were Lupron, estradiol, and progesterone. This cycle did not result in pregnancy. My 3rd IVF cycle followed the same protocol as my 2nd cycle but was cancelled prior to the frozen embryo transfer because my uterine lining was possibly over-stimulated by the hormones and was not suitable for pregnancy. I am currently on my 4th IVF cycle. I have reverted back to the same protocol as my first cycle but with lower dose gonal-f as I do not require multiple follicle production. I do not yet know if the transfer produced a positive pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kim Helm)
Kim Helm is the most kind-hearted, caring, and knowledgeable nurse I've ever communicated with. She communicates to me via email (at my request) as it is difficult for me to answer phone calls discussing personal matters while I'm at work. She is always very thorough in her instructions and answers ALL of my questions. I feel very comfortable communicating with her and am so glad that I was blessed with such an amazing IVF nurse.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Approximately $8000 for egg retrieval and fresh transfer including medications and ultrasounds. Approximately $5000 for frozen embryo transfer including medications and ultrasounds.
Dr. Young is responsible with selecting the number of embryos to transfer. He has always suggested 2 embryos for my transfers in hopes of single or double births but no more than that as multiple births come with added risks and potential complications.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I once was not informed of estradiol results which resulted in a slight delay of my cycle.

2014 - 2019, Successful
We loved Dr. Young. He was so down to earth and compassionate. Yet at the same time very knowledgeable and professional. He has a great sense of humor, which is similar to my husbands, very witty. ... He takes everything step by step. Trying to do least invasive first before jumping to big guns. He started with timed intercourse with a trigger shot, a surgery to make sure everything was healthy, to IUI’s, the to IVf.
It’s a busy office [The Fertility Center of Michigan], so you first appointment will be a ways out. But once you start treatment they are on top of getting your appointments. ... They cared for me physically, mentally and emotionally. ... And very rarely do they call to move or change them. You can call anytime day or night and get answers! It’s amazing
We loved Dr. Young. He was so down to earth and compassionate. Yet at the same time very knowledgeable and professional. He has a great sense of humor, which is similar to my husbands, very witty. Which made me feel so comfortable and cared for!
Be patient through the whole process. He has a reason for his process and you have to trust it. He can seem very dry at times but once you have a few visits he is very open, caring and funny!
Dr.Young and staff always made be feel like I was a human. They cared for me physically, mentally and emotionally. They were always there for my questions and concerns. They were rooting for us just as hard as we were rooting for ourselves!
He takes everything step by step. Trying to do least invasive first before jumping to big guns. He started with timed intercourse with a trigger shot, a surgery to make sure everything was healthy, to IUI’s, the to IVf. He wants to give you a family just as much as you want one. But I also believe he wants to try all your options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our first Ivf cycle with egg retrieval, to being hyper stimulated and having to freeze rather then do a fresh. I was devastated. But the nurses assured me that this was best. For my health and any potential babies. And they were right! They held my hand and helped wipes my tears through the whole process. And the second transfer when it didn’t work, I could tell on the line that my nurse was just as devastated as I was. And I felt comfort in that. Knowing they are truly rooting for you
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It’s a busy office, so you first appointment will be a ways out. But once you start treatment they are on top of getting your appointments. And very rarely do they call to move or change them. You can call anytime day or night and get answers! It’s amazing
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Monitoring appointments where usually on time and down to the point. It was nice to just get the information you needed and move On to the next steps. No waiting for results. You got them right the.
It’s not cheap! This is the biggest down fall. I would say from our very first visit 5 yrs ago to date. On ALL treatments, meds, procedures, and lab work we have spent 20,000 (ball park )
Grand Rapids

if you want someone who will shoot you straight, and push forward without haste, then Dr. Young will be a great fit...may seem quiet and reserved at first, but he will become a fierce advocate, giving you nothing but his best...I have PCOS, so the first treatment strategy was Clomid with monitoring to see if that would help me ovulate. The outcome was little to no results.next I was put on Metformin (indefinitely). The next strategy was a combination of Clomid, Follistim, Ovidrel and timed intercourse. This treatment was successful in getting me to ovulate, but unfortunately it didn’t result in a pregnancy. With the help of Dr. Young we decided to stop current treatments and move forward with IVF. Within a month of stopping treatment, we got pregnant naturally but unfortunately suffered a chemical pregnancy. We are currently saving for IVF.
Every single nurse [at The Fertility Center of Michigan], every single time, from a long visit to a quick in and out visit, was nothing but caring, respectful, honest and empathetic. The nursing staff was prompt to respond to every message I left, little issue or big...The office was determined to find me the best deal for medicines that weren’t covered by insurance. They work with an online fertility pharmacy, and would give me the information to figure out what pharmacies near me had the best price for meds.
There was never a time that I left Dr. Young feeling confused about treatment, unheard about my feelings or concerns, or worried about what would be next. From the very beginning, my husband and I felt a sense of relief and calmness from our meetings with Dr. Young. He is soft spoken, but delivers news, treatment plans and options with conviction. If you want a Dr. that is going to tip-toe and proceed with caution, Dr. Young may not be the doctor for you. But if you want someone who will shoot you straight, and push forward without haste, then Dr. Young will be a great fit.
Know that Dr. Young may seem quiet and reserved at first, but he will become a fierce advocate, giving you nothing but his best.
Although Dr. Young is very thorough, it is sometimes his emotion, or lack of, during delivery of information that can seem a bit cold. I could see how, to some, the lack of emotion could equate to feeling like a number. However, with a matter such as infertility, I would rather have a Dr. be completely honest, straightforward, with less emotion, than a Dr. that sugar coats and withholds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy and Julie)
I have zero constructive criticism for the nursing staff. Every single nurse, every single time, from a long visit to a quick in and out visit, was nothing but caring, respectful, honest and empathetic. The nursing staff was prompt to respond to every message I left, little issue or big. If they didn’t have the answer, they would assure me that they would work until they found it, and they did. I can’t imagine this journey without them!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are busy, so make sure if you’re a new patient, to plan ahead! Initially it took a month and a half to get my first appointment. Now that I’m an established patient, I never have any issues getting appointments. The front desk staff is always on the ball, and accommodating. They have always tried their hardest to make sure that we have all of the information we need, and have worked with my strange work schedule on many occasions to make sure I got the appointment I needed. The first visit can be overwhelming, but very informative. You receive a large packet of all of the information discussed, in case you can’t remember it all. The staff is always there to answer any questions you may have.
My Insurance does not cover infertility treatments, however the billing staff would work with me to code things appropriately to save me the most money. Each visit I had a copay of $35. My medicines were sometimes covered, sometimes not. Although I believe this has to do with my insurance, not the provider. Clomid- $45. Metformin-$15. Follistim- $300/300iu $600/600iu. Ovidrel- $107. The office was determined to find me the best deal for medicines that weren’t covered by insurance. They work with an online fertility pharmacy, and would give me the information to figure out what pharmacies near me had the best price for meds.
Kalamazoo

He [Dr. Young] was candid and straight forward about treatment and our options. I feel like he followed SART guidelines and ethics protocol. I am very detail oriented so I would have preferred more in depth explanations, but overall he communicated well...He has a dry sense of humor which can come off as insensitive and might be off putting to some. My husband thinks he is hilarious... Protocol was chosen based on age, single Fallopian tube, prior ectopic pregnancy and normal AMH & FSH values. Currently stimulating for first egg retrieval.
Approximately $9500 for egg retrieval and transfer [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...They have a good track record, are organized, kind, compassionate, nice facility, offer services like genetic counseling, a fertility counselor, and support group. They have 4 offices throughout the state and are relatively easier to reach. They coordinate with my local clinic for monitoring which has been very helpful...[nurses is a] Very effective communicator. Took into consideration my personality (Type A) when giving info (eg I want all the details, numbers,etc) Friendly and excellent at organization.
He was candid and straight forward about treatment and our options. I feel like he followed SART guidelines and ethics protocol. I am very detail oriented so I would have preferred more in depth explanations, but overall he communicated well.
He remembered details about my husband and myself, kept a sense of humor and conversed with us about non fertility topics.
Antagonist protocol (BCP, 150 Gonal f, 75 menopur, cetrotide, hCG & Lupron trigger). I used Gonal during IUI so we had a good idea how I would respond. Protocol was chosen based on age, single Fallopian tube, prior ectopic pregnancy and normal AMH & FSH values. Currently stimulating for first egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Approximately $9500 for egg retrieval and transfer - totally out of pocket. After partial insurance about $100 for mock transfer/sonohytogram. Insurance covered office visits with $20 co pay. $400 annually for embryo storage. All the remaining lab testing and ultrasounds are partially covered by insurance, and balances vary based on type of test and remaining deductible.
Based on age I knew transferring 2 was a possibility, but was surprised that we could transfer up to 3. Otherwise, i trust that my doctor will only transfer the number of embryos he believes is healthy and safe.

2013 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. James Young] was always patient with our concerns and questions...has a wonderful and caring personality. He can put the most nervous or upset person at ease. He was very patient during our appointments. He made us feel completely comfortable and confident with the care we were receiving...I had 2 embryos transferred which resulted in our healthy baby girl being born...We used the antagonist protocol with bravelle and menopur to stimulate follicle production for about 11 days.
They [nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were super comforting throughout the process. Very good communication and made sure we knew exactly what to do and what to expect...Monitoring appointments were held during a window of time in the morning. I loved this because I was able to go before work. It allowed me to minimize using my personal time off for appointments...Approximately $12,000 total for blood work, ultrasounds, medications, egg retrieval, and transfer.
Dr. Young has a wonderful and caring personality. He can put the most nervous or upset person at ease. He was very patient during our appointments. He made us feel completely comfortable and confident with the care we were receiving.
Write down any questions or concerns you have before your appointment. Then you won't forget to ask them. I always wrote the answers down so I could remember later. Sometimes being nervous you may forget to ask questions or forget the information you were given. You could always call back and clarify if you need to.
He was always patient with our concerns and questions.
We used the antagonist protocol with bravelle and menopur to stimulate follicle production for about 11 days. After a few days of taking stimulation medicine they also added a morning injection of ganirelix to prevent premature ovulation. After 12 nights of stimulation Injections I had to administer a Lipton trigger shot to mature the eggs. I had my egg retrieval the next morning. The day of egg retrieval I started progesterone in oil injections. 2 days after retrieval I had 2 embryos transferred which resulted in our healthy baby girl being born.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They were super comforting throughout the process. Very good communication and made sure we knew exactly what to do and what to expect.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I felt welcomed to the fertility clinic during the first call to schedule my new patient consultation. The receptionists were very knowledgeable and friendly. The medical assistants and nurses were always reassuring. The doctors always made us feel safe, comfortable, and confident in our next step of treatment. We even got a personal call from our doctor congratulating us on our positive pregnancy test. Great office all around. You will not be disappointed.

2012 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] doesn't give false hope, he tells it like it is. I like his dry sense of humor. He really knows his stuff and is up to date on the latest things to try...you can message him questions on MyHealth if you think of any later. He is very receptive to questions...Long med protocol IVF, uterine scratch (worth a try, knew it might not help), grew embryo to blastocyst, next time doing a clotting factor panel and and ERA biopsy before transferring another embryo, will thaw all remaining and grow them all to blast to see how many keep going. No pregnancy yet, but we have embryos left. If the next round doesn't stick he said we can look into gestational carriers. Nursing Staff
[The Fertility Center of Michigan] is clean and pretty...The staff all work well together. The billing ladies are very helpful, too...There is one nurse that mixed up the date of our pregnancy test, which led to me seeing results before I was prepared to. Other than that, they have been excellent. Some have even shared their own fertility journeys. That was very helpful...We are at 25,000 out of pocket after three IVF cycles. The office covered the $800 time lapse photography for free for our last egg retrieval.
Dr. Young is very up front and honest. He explains things without making you feel dumb for asking. After each of our three failed IVF cycles, he made a personal phone call to express his condolences after. He answered calls from the on call doctor on a Saturday to make the best decision for some time sensitive treatment. He doesn't give false hope, he tells it like it is. I like his dry sense of humor. He really knows his stuff and is up to date on the latest things to try.
Ask questions about anything you don't understand. Take notes and you can message him questions on MyHealth if you think of any later. He is very receptive to questions.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is clean and pretty. I hate the fish tank though, when you have a procedure that requires a full bladder the running water noise on the tank makes you want to pee more! The staff all work well together. The billing ladies are very helpful, too.
They let me transfer 2 at once, but said 3 was too risky with my younger age of 36 and embryo quality.
Grand Rapids
Dr. Young is a very knowledgeable guy. He has a very dry sense of humor but he always made me feel comfortable. He always explained everything pretty clearly but it never seemed like he was talking down to us. He keeps an extremely tidy office... For IUI- We did femara along with injectables to hopefully get a better number of mature eggs without the extra cost of doing all injectables. For 3 cycles that worked.
I really have nothing great to say about the nurses [Fertility Center of MI]. None of them were particularly friendly. They never took the time to get to know us and never remembered us. We honestly had to explain our situation at every appointment. The ultrasound tech, Jillian, was the only one I felt comfortable with. Almost always when calling I had to leave a message and they would usually wait until the end of the day to return my call. They often returned it after they shut their phones off (at 3:30pm!) and if I didn't catch their call I would have to wait until the following day to speak with them.
Dr. Young is a very knowledgeable guy. He has a very dry sense of humor but he always made me feel comfortable. He always explained everything pretty clearly but it never seemed like he was talking down to us. He keeps an extremely tidy office, which seems to be rare for most doctors I have visited. He has a very steady hand and that always made me feel more at ease with him.
Ask as many questions as you can think of, he will answer them all. Don't ever leave, wishing you had the courage to ask something that may seem dumb. He will take his time and explain everything to you.
Every time we met with a nurse or doctor, we had to explain everything to them. They almost never remembered that we were using donor sperm... I hated repeating that over and over. Not a single person in 2 years remembered our names.
For IUI- We did femara along with injectables to hopefully get a better number of mature eggs without the extra cost of doing all injectables. For 3 cycles that worked. On the 4th and 5th, we had absolutely no response to the meds and the IUI was cancelled. All 3 cycles produced negative results. We also used the ovidrel trigger shot 24 hours before IUI. IVF- we started with birth control the month before to hopefully "align" the follicles. We began the cycle with Gonal-F and Menopur, added lupron to prevent early ovulation. When the majority of the follicles reach 18-20mm, we used an HCG trigger. Exactly 35 hours, we had the egg retrieval. The 12 eggs were fertilized using ICSI and 7 actually fertilized. All 7 made it to day 2, two 4 cell "day two embryos" were transferred and the other 5 were frozen. Both embryos implanted but only one progressed to have a heartbeat, the other disappeared over the next 16 weeks. We gave birth to a healthy son at 38 weeks.
I really have nothing great to say about the nurses. None of them were particularly friendly. They never took the time to get to know us and never remembered us. We honestly had to explain our situation at every appointment. The ultrasound tech, Jillian, was the only one I felt comfortable with. Almost always when calling I had to leave a message and they would usually wait until the end of the day to return my call. They often returned it after they shut their phones off (at 3:30pm!) and if I didn't catch their call I would have to wait until the following day to speak with them. It was extremely frustrating, especially when we are dealing with a time sensitive issue.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You have to strongly advocate for yourself. You will get lost in the mountain of patients otherwise. If you feel like the treatment they have you on isn't working, speak up. They let us keep going until we said "stop". We were 8 IUIs in when we finally realized this.
IUI procedure was about $400 Full ivf was about $12,000
They explained it to us but really left the choice up to us. They allowed us to transfer 2
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The nurse setting up my hsg did not tell me, until the morning of the procedure, that I needed an antibiotic. I had to rush around and get it. After my hsg the nurse told me that I had a "shaggy lining" I asked if it was an issue, if we should put off our IUI that was scheduled for that week... She said she would check with the Dr. (Shavell at the time) but it shouldn't be an issue. We never received a call to tell us wether or not to go ahead with the IUI so we came to our appointment anyway. I asked if Dr. Shavell had reviewed the results of my hsg and the nurse didn't give a clear response but basically said "yes, it's fine. It's just a little shaggy". 2 days after our IUI we got a phone call from a nurse telling us that Dr. Shavell was concerned with what she saw and was ordering a 3D ultrasound to get a better look. I ended up having multiple polyps and a fibroid. We wasted a bunch of money for absolutely no good reason... All because no one actually looked at the results of my hsg.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] is very knowledgeable and helpful...I underwent three months of femara and iui unsuccessfully. Then three with clomid that were unsuccessful. I moved on to ivf. My first retrieval did not go as planned. I had very few embryos. I can't remember the exact name of the protocol, but this next round we are going with the flare protocol... recommended multiple embryo transfer due to my age...was very calm and did a good job explaining procedures and answering my questions.
All the nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] was amazing. Heidi was my favorite because she was the most understanding and compassionate...Always return calls in a timely manner. Willing to answer any questions and offer support when needed. They definitely go the distance for their patients. I feel very comfortable with them and appreciate their help...I underwent three months of femara and iui unsuccessfully. Then three with clomid that were unsuccessful. I moved on to ivf. My first retrieval did not go as planned. I had very few embryos. I can't remember the exact name of the protocol, but this next round we are going with the flare protocol.
Very calm and patient, almost too much so. Did a great job explaining procedures and answering any questions or concerns. I always felt safe and comfortable. If I was worried or nervous, he did a great job to ease my fears.
Ask questions about your treatment if you have them. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Dr. Young was very calm and did a good job explaining procedures and answering my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
All the nursing staff was amazing. Heidi was my favorite because she was the most understanding and compassionate.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very compassionate. Always return calls in a timely manner. Willing to answer any questions and offer support when needed. They definitely go the distance for their patients. I feel very comfortable with them and appreciate their help.
Most of my cost was out of pocket. Some treatments were covered by insurance.
My doctor recommended multiple embryo transfer due to my age. It made sense to me and I felt comfortable with his decision.
Kalamazoo
Dr. Young is friendly, compassionate, and caring. He will tell you everything that is going on, which made me as a patient, feel very comforted. I do not see Dr. Young when I go in for my routine appointments, sometimes that is a little frustrating, although I do understand he is very busy. ... The first three months I was a patient of Dr. Young’s he had me doing timed cycles. We had a consultation shortly into month four and didn’t want to skip a month so we did another timed cycle. After those four months we have done 2 unsuccessful IUIs and just completed our third IUI, currently awaiting the results. All IUIs have been with Gonal-F injection
The Kalamazoo clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very friendly. From the minute you walk in the door they greet you by name with a smile. The staff is generally the same people which makes you feel more comfortable and less like a number. ... The nurse I generally see is amazing, supportive, honest, and informative. They are right there with you, encouraging you to stay strong but also understand you will have days you want to cry and scream.
Dr. Young takes the time to ensure you are comfortable.
The first three months I was a patient of Dr. Young’s he had me doing timed cycles. We had a consultation shortly into month four and didn’t want to skip a month so we did another timed cycle. After those four months we have done 2 unsuccessful IUIs and just completed our third IUI, currently awaiting the results. All IUIs have been with Gonal-F injections.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Kalamazoo clinic is very friendly. From the minute you walk in the door they greet you by name with a smile. The staff is generally the same people which makes you feel more comfortable and less like a number.
The cost for timed cycles, with my insurance, was covered except for the medication deductible of $40. The cost for IUI cycles, with my insurance, was $600, $40 for ovulation shot, and $40 per box of injections.