5.8

Traverse City, MI 49684
3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us... is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us...Just be aware he is flat affected so if you're expecting an upbeat personality, you won't get that from him. It's not that he doesn't care, it's just not his personality
We love Libby [nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan]! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question...For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000...Strengths: They treat you really well when you're doing IVF Weaknesses: When asked what I needed to do differently according to diet, exercise, etc. They said nothing when other clinics would give me a list of things to do to help our chances.
How was your experience with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Young is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby )
We love Libby! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000
Grand Rapids

Dr. Young is slightly deadpan in his delivery or information. If you’re looking for someone who will tell you his honest opinion, he definitely will. It was comforting to me that he would tell me his thoughts or what would be beat for our treatment instead of laying out all the options and having me decide.... Know that you will not see him at every appointment. The clinic works so that whichever doctor is available is the one that sees you. They are all extremely capable.
I liked all the staff [at The Fertility Ctr of MI], the early hours they were open for appointments, and that they offered a counselor for free to any of their patients. I was slightly disappointed that they close at 3:30, but I understand that they have calls to make to IVF patients at that time.... IVF with FET was 13,000 at the fertility center, 4,000 for meds (not including meds for FET), and 6,000 to do genetic testing with an outside location.
Dr. Young did a thorough job explaining our options to me. He helped us come to a decision to go forward with IVF.
Describe the protocols James Young (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
I am in the middle of my IVF cycle now, so I am not sure the results yet. But I have appreciated that the medicine they wanted me to buy was almost exactly what I needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Everyone was extremely thorough and compassionate. I felt well cared for through every interaction.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I liked all the staff, the early hours they were open for appointments, and that they offered a counselor for free to any of their patients. I was slightly disappointed that they close at 3:30, but I understand that they have calls to make to IVF patients at that time.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I had an appointment scheduled for a SHG at 10am, but in the appointment calendar at the clinic it was in for 8am. They could see in their system that I had been scheduled for 10 to check in but for 8am in a room for the procedure. I showed up at 10, and they did find time to fit me in for my procedure. I was thankful they made it right.
Grand Rapids

Doctor Young took the time to explain everything in terms that both my husband and I would understand, even drawing pictures at times. He made sure that we both agreed and understood the plan going forward...He also gave us ways to increase our chances such as reduce alcohol use, exercise, eat well, etc... With that and my husband's low motility, he had us start with IUI, first having me take Femera so I would ovulate on time and possibly produce more then one egg, then going to an ultrasound to make sure an egg had formed, and then using ovidrel so they could time the IUI treatment even closer to ovulation.
Because the doctors [The Fert Ctr] rotate to their other offices, it isn't uncommon that you talk to all of them at one point or another. I personally think that is a good thing, because I feel like I get all of their expertise involved in my care. Everyone is very knowledgeable in what they do and they are able to make you feel like you have control going forward and they give you hope again.
He was very good at describing our treatment in easy to understand terms also providing pictures when necessary. He always made sure we understood before moving on to the next area. He took time to ask about what we do and got to know us a little bit and also joked around with us. It helped for us to both feel comfortable and we left feeling like we had some control over the situation again.
Doctor Young will go over everything you need but I think it is always good to know a little background on fertility treatments.
Doctor Young took the time to explain everything in terms that both my husband and I would understand, even drawing pictures at times. He made sure that we both agreed and understood the plan going forward and even took some time to get to know what we both do and joked with us. He made us feel comfortable during a tough discussion and made us feel like we had some small amount of control back.
Before we had met Dr. Young my obgyn had already had me try 4 rounds of clomid because of my irregular cycles. With that and my husband's low motility, he had us start with IUI, first having me take Femera so I would ovulate on time and possibly produce more then one egg, then going to an ultrasound to make sure an egg had formed, and then using ovidrel so they could time the IUI treatment even closer to ovulation. He also gave us ways to increase our chances such as reduce alcohol use, exercise, eat well, etc.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
After my ultrasound the nurse sat down with me to do over the next steps for treatment. She made sure I was able to get the medicine I needed on time and that I understood what would happen going forward.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Because the doctors rotate to their other offices, it isn't uncommon that you talk to all of them at one point or another. I personally think that is a good thing, because I feel like I get all of their expertise involved in my care. Everyone is very knowledgeable in what they do and they are able to make you feel like you have control going forward and they give you hope again.
I don't remember the cost of the initial consultation appointment but the ultrasound and meet up with the nurse was around $250 and the actual IUI was $600. They gave me resources to get the ovidrel at a more reasonable cost, which was around $35.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Young explained everything about our next steps in treatment in detail. He is straight to the point, but will answer any questions that you have. We never felt rushed in the appointment and were able to have all of our questions answered no matter how small it might be...He has so much knowledge...He discussed why previous treatments hadn’t worked and why he was recommending me to use oral medication and injectables. He discussed why my lab values and PCOS were affecting our fertility each month and how this new plan would help us overcome my medical issues. So far, I have not fallen pregnant, but I am positive that we will get the right treatment plan and positive pregnancy soon.
There are two nurses that I work with [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] every time I go into the office. They are both so compassionate and make me feel like they actually care about each cycle and helping us start our family. They help to explain the treatment plan from the doctor and answer any questions that I might have. I never feel rushed when I am in with my nurses...I don’t know if I have enough words to explain how much I have loved working with this clinic. The staff at the front desk remember me and my preferences, including that I like to pay my bill before I am seen, so that I can get back to work quicker. They are often running early for appointments. Everyone is friendly and caring and make me feel like I am being cared for every step of this journey. Scheduling is often quite easy with my work schedule. If I have to call and leave a message, someone is calling me back in less than an hour... This clinic has given me hope. Clinic Nps
Have a list of questions ready to ask Dr. Young. He has so much knowledge and was able to answer questions I wasn’t able to find from “Dr. Google”
Dr. Young sat down with my husband and I and explained my treatments in detail and kept asking if we had any questions or concerns throughout the whole visit. He truly listened to us and what we were looking for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
There are two nurses that I work with every time I go into the office. They are both so compassionate and make me feel like they actually care about each cycle and helping us start our family. They help to explain the treatment plan from the doctor and answer any questions that I might have. I never feel rushed when I am in with my nurses.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have copays for every visit with the doctor. I often have $20-40 to pay after insurance for my ultrasounds/screen-scans. Medication has ranged from $10 per cycle to $175 per cycle after insurance.
Kalamazoo

Dr. Young gave us lots of advice on what treatment options to pursue first and what was best for us. He never judged us for pursuing fertility treatments in our early twenties. My health was always his #1 priority and he would take possible concerns seriously...He encouraged us to try options that were not as financially difficult since we were so young and had only tried clomid before meeting him. He made us feel like we had control over what treatments we would be doing, yet we knew he would not put us in a situation that did not make sense. His humor and social skills are a bit dry, but he is so smart and knows what he is doing. He took time to get to know us and made sure we left the office knowing exactly what to do and what to expect. For our IVF cycle, he would not add more treatments to our plan without asking us and explaining the benefits. We have always trusted Dr. Young to help us make the best decisions for us to start our family. Although we did not see him at every visit, he was always available via phone if needed.
I had my retrieval but was close to overstimulation, so my fresh transfer was cancelled [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...There are no words that could ever describe my love for the nursing staff...They are so compassionate and take the time to really explain our treatment plans. I have never left feeling overwhelmed or confused. They are so encouraging, yet realistic about what to expect. They have asked me what I expect and desire from them (blunt or straight to the point, talking it out vs. letting it sink in, etc). They truly are wonderful and so experienced.
Dr. Young has always taken us seriously from our first meeting. He encouraged us to try options that were not as financially difficult since we were so young and had only tried clomid before meeting him. He made us feel like we had control over what treatments we would be doing, yet we knew he would not put us in a situation that did not make sense. His humor and social skills are a bit dry, but he is so smart and knows what he is doing. He took time to get to know us and made sure we left the office knowing exactly what to do and what to expect. For our IVF cycle, he would not add more treatments to our plan without asking us and explaining the benefits. We have always trusted Dr. Young to help us make the best decisions for us to start our family. Although we did not see him at every visit, he was always available via phone if needed.
Trust that he will help you make the best decisions for your personal and unique situation. Also, that he may not seem as personable/warm in person, however his actions speak wonders of how much he cares and desires for his patients to start their families.
Although his social skills were a bit dry and awkward, Dr. Young gave us lots of advice on what treatment options to pursue first and what was best for us. He never judged us for pursuing fertility treatments in our early twenties. My health was always his #1 priority and he would take possible concerns seriously.
Dr. Young started me on metformin right away due to my pcos. I started at 1000mg and worked up to 1500mg. I continue to receive 6 month blood work checks for this med. When we first started at the fertility center, we had only tried 50mg, 100mg, and 150mg of clomid at our OBGYN. Dr Young suggested clomid along with metformin and ovidrel. We tried 100mg and 150mg, not timed intercourse with no success due to no follicle growth. He then suggested femara 7.5mg with ovidrel. I responded to that and tried that for a few months with timed intercourse. Eventually I did femara, ovidrel and IUI with no success for about 2 months. I then moved to injections (gonal f) and did this for a couple months with IUI with no success. When then decided on IVF. I had my retrieval but was close to overstimulation, so my fresh transfer was cancelled. Our frozen transfer is in October. Dr. Young told us after the first few months of IUIs, that we may need to look into IVF, but he never made us feel pressured to jump into it until we gave it a few more tries.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There are no words that could ever describe my love for the nursing staff at The Fertility Center. They are so compassionate and take the time to really explain our treatment plans. I have never left feeling overwhelmed or confused. They are so encouraging, yet realistic about what to expect. They have asked me what I expect and desire from them (blunt or straight to the point, talking it out vs. letting it sink in, etc). They truly are wonderful and so experienced.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everyone in the office, no matter the role, is friendly and compassionate. If you leave a message, they will get back with you in a timely manner. There is a lot that is not covered by most insurances, but that is not their fault personally, but it’s good to know going into it.
My ultrasound and blood work was covered by insurance. IUIs were about $500-$600. And IVF cost roughly $9,000 with the extra cost of FET at $2,000 and meds around $3,000. Time lapse photography was around the upper hundreds to $1,000.
Describe James Young (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Dr. Young told us the benefits and pros/cons of transferring 2 vs. 1. He let us decided based on our preference after educating us on our options.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
There was only one time that I had gotten a phone call from a nurse that was supposed to go over my instructions. I had previously met with a nurse at the clinic and had my instructions written down, the phone call was to go over them one last time. The nurse on the phone was giving me different instructions (lower dosage than prescribed and wrong timing). After I said I did not think that was accurate she stated “let me open your chart.” It was concerning that she had called to go over meds, but implied that my chart had never been open to begin with. I complained to the clinic at my next visit, as my instructions were for a new cycle of gonal f, which is expensive medication to have it not work for a cycle.

2016 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. Young] was kind but always straight to the point- which is what I wanted. He always gave his advice and allowed us time to process it and make the best decisions for us ... My situation was unexplainable infertility . Started with clomid 3 rounds - then took a break - 3 more rounds - then chlomid with injections 3 rounds - sperm test - 3 rounds IUI - then IVF ...
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are typically always on time . Quick, knowledgeable and understanding it’s an emotional journey . Billing lady is a little defensive. I’m sure she deals with a lot of people questioning their bill. However, if you call and ask her anything just expect her to sound annoyed with you and quick to defend herself rather then listen to you. ... [nursing staff] Always kind and efficient
He is black and white. I never felt like he just wanted our money. He educated us and told us his recommendation. His recommendation was typically the fastest route to a baby which is what we wanted. He didn’t make us try everything and waste all our money. He was specific with our situation.
He is not their to console you. Appreciate his knowledge and take his advice.
He was kind but always straight to the point- which is what I wanted. He always gave his advice and allowed us time to process it and make the best decisions for us.
Everyone’s situation is different. My situation was unexplainable infertility . Started with clomid 3 rounds - then took a break - 3 more rounds - then chlomid with injections 3 rounds - sperm test - 3 rounds IUI - then IVF
Always kind and efficient
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are typically always on time . Quick, knowledgeable and understanding it’s an emotional journey . Billing lady is a little defensive. I’m sure she deals with a lot of people questioning their bill. However, if you call and ask her anything just expect her to sound annoyed with you and quick to defend herself rather then listen to you.
Expensive. I don’t know exacts , lucky my insurance at the time covered some ultrasounds . I paid around $100 a visit $8,000+ in Meds $10,000 in treatments
I’m not sure my doctors approach ... he recommended to put two in. I did and after 4 embryos I have a healthy baby boy
Grand Rapids

Dr. Young was very thorough in explaining everything to us in a way we would understand. He breaks everything down so we know exactly what we will be dealing with. He knows what the end goal for us is and is helping us do whatever it takes to get there.... We did quite a few rounds of fertility medications, one round of injectable and two IUI treatments. All were unsuccessful so now we must move on to IVF.
The clinics strengths are that they [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] have a very professional and supportive staff. From the receptionist to the nurses and doctors, everyone is there for a common purpose of helping couples achieve pregnancy....All of the nurses at the clinic are very professional and so friendly. They understand the sensitive nature of their job so it is so great that they try to be positive for their patients (when it is sometimes hard for the patient themselves to be positive).
Tell him everything you want to get out of your time at the clinic and express all concerns and fears.
Dr. Young gave us his undivided attention when addressing all of our concerns and fears.
We did quite a few rounds of fertility medications, one round of injectable and two IUI treatments. All were unsuccessful so now we must move on to IVF. Dr. Young gave many chances to get pregnant before having to move to the most invasive and expensive treatment.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinics strengths are that they have a very professional and supportive staff. From the receptionist to the nurses and doctors, everyone is there for a common purpose of helping couples achieve pregnancy.
I cannot remember exact costs of certain treatments but I do know part of the ultrasounds have been covered by our insurance. There is an office visit cost as well. All medications are out of pocket. The billing dept is pretty easy to deal with and you can make payments on your account.
2012 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] was so incredibly kind and caring and treated me like a person...He was very informative and compassionate with us and wanted to make sure he helped us in our very way he could. He explained in detail what would work for us and our chances of receiving pregnancy. Talked through the procedure and what to do and expect...I had cysts for a few months and one cycle needed to be canceled because there weren’t many follicles. We did another cycle and ER and ET resulting in a pregnancy.
[The nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan were] Very caring and compassionate...trustworthy staff. Everyone on the team is like and treats you like family. They want to know about you and help you in anyway they can. They are helpful in any questions you have or concerns you may have...I had cysts for a few months and one cycle needed to be canceled because there weren’t many follicles. We did another cycle and ER and ET resulting in a pregnancy.
He truly cares for his patients
He was so incredibly kind and caring and treated me like a person.
Very caring and compassionate
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very nice, caring, compassionate, trustworthy staff. Everyone on the team is like and treats you like family. They want to know about you and help you in anyway they can. They are helpful in any questions you have or concerns you may have.
Grand Rapids

if you want someone who will shoot you straight, and push forward without haste, then Dr. Young will be a great fit...may seem quiet and reserved at first, but he will become a fierce advocate, giving you nothing but his best...I have PCOS, so the first treatment strategy was Clomid with monitoring to see if that would help me ovulate. The outcome was little to no results.next I was put on Metformin (indefinitely). The next strategy was a combination of Clomid, Follistim, Ovidrel and timed intercourse. This treatment was successful in getting me to ovulate, but unfortunately it didn’t result in a pregnancy. With the help of Dr. Young we decided to stop current treatments and move forward with IVF. Within a month of stopping treatment, we got pregnant naturally but unfortunately suffered a chemical pregnancy. We are currently saving for IVF.
Every single nurse [at The Fertility Center of Michigan], every single time, from a long visit to a quick in and out visit, was nothing but caring, respectful, honest and empathetic. The nursing staff was prompt to respond to every message I left, little issue or big...The office was determined to find me the best deal for medicines that weren’t covered by insurance. They work with an online fertility pharmacy, and would give me the information to figure out what pharmacies near me had the best price for meds.
There was never a time that I left Dr. Young feeling confused about treatment, unheard about my feelings or concerns, or worried about what would be next. From the very beginning, my husband and I felt a sense of relief and calmness from our meetings with Dr. Young. He is soft spoken, but delivers news, treatment plans and options with conviction. If you want a Dr. that is going to tip-toe and proceed with caution, Dr. Young may not be the doctor for you. But if you want someone who will shoot you straight, and push forward without haste, then Dr. Young will be a great fit.
Know that Dr. Young may seem quiet and reserved at first, but he will become a fierce advocate, giving you nothing but his best.
Although Dr. Young is very thorough, it is sometimes his emotion, or lack of, during delivery of information that can seem a bit cold. I could see how, to some, the lack of emotion could equate to feeling like a number. However, with a matter such as infertility, I would rather have a Dr. be completely honest, straightforward, with less emotion, than a Dr. that sugar coats and withholds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy and Julie)
I have zero constructive criticism for the nursing staff. Every single nurse, every single time, from a long visit to a quick in and out visit, was nothing but caring, respectful, honest and empathetic. The nursing staff was prompt to respond to every message I left, little issue or big. If they didn’t have the answer, they would assure me that they would work until they found it, and they did. I can’t imagine this journey without them!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are busy, so make sure if you’re a new patient, to plan ahead! Initially it took a month and a half to get my first appointment. Now that I’m an established patient, I never have any issues getting appointments. The front desk staff is always on the ball, and accommodating. They have always tried their hardest to make sure that we have all of the information we need, and have worked with my strange work schedule on many occasions to make sure I got the appointment I needed. The first visit can be overwhelming, but very informative. You receive a large packet of all of the information discussed, in case you can’t remember it all. The staff is always there to answer any questions you may have.
My Insurance does not cover infertility treatments, however the billing staff would work with me to code things appropriately to save me the most money. Each visit I had a copay of $35. My medicines were sometimes covered, sometimes not. Although I believe this has to do with my insurance, not the provider. Clomid- $45. Metformin-$15. Follistim- $300/300iu $600/600iu. Ovidrel- $107. The office was determined to find me the best deal for medicines that weren’t covered by insurance. They work with an online fertility pharmacy, and would give me the information to figure out what pharmacies near me had the best price for meds.
Kalamazoo

He [Dr. Young] was candid and straight forward about treatment and our options. I feel like he followed SART guidelines and ethics protocol. I am very detail oriented so I would have preferred more in depth explanations, but overall he communicated well...He has a dry sense of humor which can come off as insensitive and might be off putting to some. My husband thinks he is hilarious... Protocol was chosen based on age, single Fallopian tube, prior ectopic pregnancy and normal AMH & FSH values. Currently stimulating for first egg retrieval.
Approximately $9500 for egg retrieval and transfer [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...They have a good track record, are organized, kind, compassionate, nice facility, offer services like genetic counseling, a fertility counselor, and support group. They have 4 offices throughout the state and are relatively easier to reach. They coordinate with my local clinic for monitoring which has been very helpful...[nurses is a] Very effective communicator. Took into consideration my personality (Type A) when giving info (eg I want all the details, numbers,etc) Friendly and excellent at organization.
He was candid and straight forward about treatment and our options. I feel like he followed SART guidelines and ethics protocol. I am very detail oriented so I would have preferred more in depth explanations, but overall he communicated well.
He remembered details about my husband and myself, kept a sense of humor and conversed with us about non fertility topics.
Antagonist protocol (BCP, 150 Gonal f, 75 menopur, cetrotide, hCG & Lupron trigger). I used Gonal during IUI so we had a good idea how I would respond. Protocol was chosen based on age, single Fallopian tube, prior ectopic pregnancy and normal AMH & FSH values. Currently stimulating for first egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Approximately $9500 for egg retrieval and transfer - totally out of pocket. After partial insurance about $100 for mock transfer/sonohytogram. Insurance covered office visits with $20 co pay. $400 annually for embryo storage. All the remaining lab testing and ultrasounds are partially covered by insurance, and balances vary based on type of test and remaining deductible.
Based on age I knew transferring 2 was a possibility, but was surprised that we could transfer up to 3. Otherwise, i trust that my doctor will only transfer the number of embryos he believes is healthy and safe.

2013 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. James Young] was always patient with our concerns and questions...has a wonderful and caring personality. He can put the most nervous or upset person at ease. He was very patient during our appointments. He made us feel completely comfortable and confident with the care we were receiving...I had 2 embryos transferred which resulted in our healthy baby girl being born...We used the antagonist protocol with bravelle and menopur to stimulate follicle production for about 11 days.
They [nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were super comforting throughout the process. Very good communication and made sure we knew exactly what to do and what to expect...Monitoring appointments were held during a window of time in the morning. I loved this because I was able to go before work. It allowed me to minimize using my personal time off for appointments...Approximately $12,000 total for blood work, ultrasounds, medications, egg retrieval, and transfer.
Dr. Young has a wonderful and caring personality. He can put the most nervous or upset person at ease. He was very patient during our appointments. He made us feel completely comfortable and confident with the care we were receiving.
Write down any questions or concerns you have before your appointment. Then you won't forget to ask them. I always wrote the answers down so I could remember later. Sometimes being nervous you may forget to ask questions or forget the information you were given. You could always call back and clarify if you need to.
He was always patient with our concerns and questions.
We used the antagonist protocol with bravelle and menopur to stimulate follicle production for about 11 days. After a few days of taking stimulation medicine they also added a morning injection of ganirelix to prevent premature ovulation. After 12 nights of stimulation Injections I had to administer a Lipton trigger shot to mature the eggs. I had my egg retrieval the next morning. The day of egg retrieval I started progesterone in oil injections. 2 days after retrieval I had 2 embryos transferred which resulted in our healthy baby girl being born.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They were super comforting throughout the process. Very good communication and made sure we knew exactly what to do and what to expect.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I felt welcomed to the fertility clinic during the first call to schedule my new patient consultation. The receptionists were very knowledgeable and friendly. The medical assistants and nurses were always reassuring. The doctors always made us feel safe, comfortable, and confident in our next step of treatment. We even got a personal call from our doctor congratulating us on our positive pregnancy test. Great office all around. You will not be disappointed.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.

2014 - 2019, Successful
We loved Dr. Young. He was so down to earth and compassionate. Yet at the same time very knowledgeable and professional. He has a great sense of humor, which is similar to my husbands, very witty. ... He takes everything step by step. Trying to do least invasive first before jumping to big guns. He started with timed intercourse with a trigger shot, a surgery to make sure everything was healthy, to IUI’s, the to IVf.
It’s a busy office [The Fertility Center of Michigan], so you first appointment will be a ways out. But once you start treatment they are on top of getting your appointments. ... They cared for me physically, mentally and emotionally. ... And very rarely do they call to move or change them. You can call anytime day or night and get answers! It’s amazing
We loved Dr. Young. He was so down to earth and compassionate. Yet at the same time very knowledgeable and professional. He has a great sense of humor, which is similar to my husbands, very witty. Which made me feel so comfortable and cared for!
Be patient through the whole process. He has a reason for his process and you have to trust it. He can seem very dry at times but once you have a few visits he is very open, caring and funny!
Dr.Young and staff always made be feel like I was a human. They cared for me physically, mentally and emotionally. They were always there for my questions and concerns. They were rooting for us just as hard as we were rooting for ourselves!
He takes everything step by step. Trying to do least invasive first before jumping to big guns. He started with timed intercourse with a trigger shot, a surgery to make sure everything was healthy, to IUI’s, the to IVf. He wants to give you a family just as much as you want one. But I also believe he wants to try all your options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our first Ivf cycle with egg retrieval, to being hyper stimulated and having to freeze rather then do a fresh. I was devastated. But the nurses assured me that this was best. For my health and any potential babies. And they were right! They held my hand and helped wipes my tears through the whole process. And the second transfer when it didn’t work, I could tell on the line that my nurse was just as devastated as I was. And I felt comfort in that. Knowing they are truly rooting for you
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It’s a busy office, so you first appointment will be a ways out. But once you start treatment they are on top of getting your appointments. And very rarely do they call to move or change them. You can call anytime day or night and get answers! It’s amazing
Monitoring appointments where usually on time and down to the point. It was nice to just get the information you needed and move On to the next steps. No waiting for results. You got them right the.
It’s not cheap! This is the biggest down fall. I would say from our very first visit 5 yrs ago to date. On ALL treatments, meds, procedures, and lab work we have spent 20,000 (ball park )

2012 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] doesn't give false hope, he tells it like it is. I like his dry sense of humor. He really knows his stuff and is up to date on the latest things to try...you can message him questions on MyHealth if you think of any later. He is very receptive to questions...Long med protocol IVF, uterine scratch (worth a try, knew it might not help), grew embryo to blastocyst, next time doing a clotting factor panel and and ERA biopsy before transferring another embryo, will thaw all remaining and grow them all to blast to see how many keep going. No pregnancy yet, but we have embryos left. If the next round doesn't stick he said we can look into gestational carriers. Nursing Staff
[The Fertility Center of Michigan] is clean and pretty...The staff all work well together. The billing ladies are very helpful, too...There is one nurse that mixed up the date of our pregnancy test, which led to me seeing results before I was prepared to. Other than that, they have been excellent. Some have even shared their own fertility journeys. That was very helpful...We are at 25,000 out of pocket after three IVF cycles. The office covered the $800 time lapse photography for free for our last egg retrieval.
Dr. Young is very up front and honest. He explains things without making you feel dumb for asking. After each of our three failed IVF cycles, he made a personal phone call to express his condolences after. He answered calls from the on call doctor on a Saturday to make the best decision for some time sensitive treatment. He doesn't give false hope, he tells it like it is. I like his dry sense of humor. He really knows his stuff and is up to date on the latest things to try.
Ask questions about anything you don't understand. Take notes and you can message him questions on MyHealth if you think of any later. He is very receptive to questions.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is clean and pretty. I hate the fish tank though, when you have a procedure that requires a full bladder the running water noise on the tank makes you want to pee more! The staff all work well together. The billing ladies are very helpful, too.
They let me transfer 2 at once, but said 3 was too risky with my younger age of 36 and embryo quality.

2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] can be a bit dry but overall very personable. I felt very comfortable discussing my concerns with him. I feel that he was keeping my best interests in mind during the course of my treatment. There was one instance where he forgot my name but I didn't take it personal...He will be thorough if you ask the questions...My 3rd IVF cycle followed the same protocol as my 2nd cycle but was cancelled prior to the frozen embryo transfer because my uterine lining was possibly over-stimulated by the hormones and was not suitable for pregnancy.
Approximately $8000 for egg retrieval and fresh transfer [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] including medications and ultrasounds...It's a beautiful clinic with friendly and knowledgeable staff. The clinic is up-to-date and very clean. My favorite part is that they offer an on-site fertility counselor free of charge. The fertility counselor has been a great resource for managing my anxiety through my fertility treatments... She [nurse] communicates to me via email (at my request) as it is difficult for me to answer phone calls discussing personal matters while I'm at work. She is always very thorough in her instructions and answers ALL of my questions. I feel very comfortable communicating with her and am so glad that I was blessed with such an amazing IVF nurse.
He can be a bit dry but overall very personable. I felt very comfortable discussing my concerns with him. I feel that he was keeping my best interests in mind during the course of my treatment. There was one instance where he forgot my name but I didn't take it personal.
Be open, honest, and express all of your concerns. He will be thorough if you ask the questions.
He always was very thorough in answering my questions and explaining our fertility treatment plan. He apologized and showed concern when the outcome of our treatment was negative.
My first cycle was an embryo retrieval and fresh transfer of 2 embryos. If I remember correctly, gonal-f, hcg trigger were used and then progesterone through the 11th week of pregnancy. This procedure resulted in a successful pregnancy and birth of my daughter. My 2nd IVF cycle was a long protocol with frozen embryo transfer. The medications were Lupron, estradiol, and progesterone. This cycle did not result in pregnancy. My 3rd IVF cycle followed the same protocol as my 2nd cycle but was cancelled prior to the frozen embryo transfer because my uterine lining was possibly over-stimulated by the hormones and was not suitable for pregnancy. I am currently on my 4th IVF cycle. I have reverted back to the same protocol as my first cycle but with lower dose gonal-f as I do not require multiple follicle production. I do not yet know if the transfer produced a positive pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kim Helm)
Kim Helm is the most kind-hearted, caring, and knowledgeable nurse I've ever communicated with. She communicates to me via email (at my request) as it is difficult for me to answer phone calls discussing personal matters while I'm at work. She is always very thorough in her instructions and answers ALL of my questions. I feel very comfortable communicating with her and am so glad that I was blessed with such an amazing IVF nurse.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Approximately $8000 for egg retrieval and fresh transfer including medications and ultrasounds. Approximately $5000 for frozen embryo transfer including medications and ultrasounds.
Dr. Young is responsible with selecting the number of embryos to transfer. He has always suggested 2 embryos for my transfers in hopes of single or double births but no more than that as multiple births come with added risks and potential complications.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I once was not informed of estradiol results which resulted in a slight delay of my cycle.
Grand Rapids
Dr. Young is a very knowledgeable guy. He has a very dry sense of humor but he always made me feel comfortable. He always explained everything pretty clearly but it never seemed like he was talking down to us. He keeps an extremely tidy office... For IUI- We did femara along with injectables to hopefully get a better number of mature eggs without the extra cost of doing all injectables. For 3 cycles that worked.
I really have nothing great to say about the nurses [Fertility Center of MI]. None of them were particularly friendly. They never took the time to get to know us and never remembered us. We honestly had to explain our situation at every appointment. The ultrasound tech, Jillian, was the only one I felt comfortable with. Almost always when calling I had to leave a message and they would usually wait until the end of the day to return my call. They often returned it after they shut their phones off (at 3:30pm!) and if I didn't catch their call I would have to wait until the following day to speak with them.
Dr. Young is a very knowledgeable guy. He has a very dry sense of humor but he always made me feel comfortable. He always explained everything pretty clearly but it never seemed like he was talking down to us. He keeps an extremely tidy office, which seems to be rare for most doctors I have visited. He has a very steady hand and that always made me feel more at ease with him.
Ask as many questions as you can think of, he will answer them all. Don't ever leave, wishing you had the courage to ask something that may seem dumb. He will take his time and explain everything to you.
Every time we met with a nurse or doctor, we had to explain everything to them. They almost never remembered that we were using donor sperm... I hated repeating that over and over. Not a single person in 2 years remembered our names.
For IUI- We did femara along with injectables to hopefully get a better number of mature eggs without the extra cost of doing all injectables. For 3 cycles that worked. On the 4th and 5th, we had absolutely no response to the meds and the IUI was cancelled. All 3 cycles produced negative results. We also used the ovidrel trigger shot 24 hours before IUI. IVF- we started with birth control the month before to hopefully "align" the follicles. We began the cycle with Gonal-F and Menopur, added lupron to prevent early ovulation. When the majority of the follicles reach 18-20mm, we used an HCG trigger. Exactly 35 hours, we had the egg retrieval. The 12 eggs were fertilized using ICSI and 7 actually fertilized. All 7 made it to day 2, two 4 cell "day two embryos" were transferred and the other 5 were frozen. Both embryos implanted but only one progressed to have a heartbeat, the other disappeared over the next 16 weeks. We gave birth to a healthy son at 38 weeks.
I really have nothing great to say about the nurses. None of them were particularly friendly. They never took the time to get to know us and never remembered us. We honestly had to explain our situation at every appointment. The ultrasound tech, Jillian, was the only one I felt comfortable with. Almost always when calling I had to leave a message and they would usually wait until the end of the day to return my call. They often returned it after they shut their phones off (at 3:30pm!) and if I didn't catch their call I would have to wait until the following day to speak with them. It was extremely frustrating, especially when we are dealing with a time sensitive issue.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You have to strongly advocate for yourself. You will get lost in the mountain of patients otherwise. If you feel like the treatment they have you on isn't working, speak up. They let us keep going until we said "stop". We were 8 IUIs in when we finally realized this.
IUI procedure was about $400 Full ivf was about $12,000
They explained it to us but really left the choice up to us. They allowed us to transfer 2
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The nurse setting up my hsg did not tell me, until the morning of the procedure, that I needed an antibiotic. I had to rush around and get it. After my hsg the nurse told me that I had a "shaggy lining" I asked if it was an issue, if we should put off our IUI that was scheduled for that week... She said she would check with the Dr. (Shavell at the time) but it shouldn't be an issue. We never received a call to tell us wether or not to go ahead with the IUI so we came to our appointment anyway. I asked if Dr. Shavell had reviewed the results of my hsg and the nurse didn't give a clear response but basically said "yes, it's fine. It's just a little shaggy". 2 days after our IUI we got a phone call from a nurse telling us that Dr. Shavell was concerned with what she saw and was ordering a 3D ultrasound to get a better look. I ended up having multiple polyps and a fibroid. We wasted a bunch of money for absolutely no good reason... All because no one actually looked at the results of my hsg.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. James Young] is very knowledgeable and helpful...I underwent three months of femara and iui unsuccessfully. Then three with clomid that were unsuccessful. I moved on to ivf. My first retrieval did not go as planned. I had very few embryos. I can't remember the exact name of the protocol, but this next round we are going with the flare protocol... recommended multiple embryo transfer due to my age...was very calm and did a good job explaining procedures and answering my questions.
All the nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] was amazing. Heidi was my favorite because she was the most understanding and compassionate...Always return calls in a timely manner. Willing to answer any questions and offer support when needed. They definitely go the distance for their patients. I feel very comfortable with them and appreciate their help...I underwent three months of femara and iui unsuccessfully. Then three with clomid that were unsuccessful. I moved on to ivf. My first retrieval did not go as planned. I had very few embryos. I can't remember the exact name of the protocol, but this next round we are going with the flare protocol.
Very calm and patient, almost too much so. Did a great job explaining procedures and answering any questions or concerns. I always felt safe and comfortable. If I was worried or nervous, he did a great job to ease my fears.
Ask questions about your treatment if you have them. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Dr. Young was very calm and did a good job explaining procedures and answering my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
All the nursing staff was amazing. Heidi was my favorite because she was the most understanding and compassionate.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very compassionate. Always return calls in a timely manner. Willing to answer any questions and offer support when needed. They definitely go the distance for their patients. I feel very comfortable with them and appreciate their help.
Most of my cost was out of pocket. Some treatments were covered by insurance.
My doctor recommended multiple embryo transfer due to my age. It made sense to me and I felt comfortable with his decision.
Kalamazoo
Dr. Young is friendly, compassionate, and caring. He will tell you everything that is going on, which made me as a patient, feel very comforted. I do not see Dr. Young when I go in for my routine appointments, sometimes that is a little frustrating, although I do understand he is very busy. ... The first three months I was a patient of Dr. Young’s he had me doing timed cycles. We had a consultation shortly into month four and didn’t want to skip a month so we did another timed cycle. After those four months we have done 2 unsuccessful IUIs and just completed our third IUI, currently awaiting the results. All IUIs have been with Gonal-F injection
The Kalamazoo clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very friendly. From the minute you walk in the door they greet you by name with a smile. The staff is generally the same people which makes you feel more comfortable and less like a number. ... The nurse I generally see is amazing, supportive, honest, and informative. They are right there with you, encouraging you to stay strong but also understand you will have days you want to cry and scream.
Dr. Young takes the time to ensure you are comfortable.
The first three months I was a patient of Dr. Young’s he had me doing timed cycles. We had a consultation shortly into month four and didn’t want to skip a month so we did another timed cycle. After those four months we have done 2 unsuccessful IUIs and just completed our third IUI, currently awaiting the results. All IUIs have been with Gonal-F injections.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Kalamazoo clinic is very friendly. From the minute you walk in the door they greet you by name with a smile. The staff is generally the same people which makes you feel more comfortable and less like a number.
The cost for timed cycles, with my insurance, was covered except for the medication deductible of $40. The cost for IUI cycles, with my insurance, was $600, $40 for ovulation shot, and $40 per box of injections.
Kalamazoo

He [Dr. Young] is very caring and down to earth. Wants the best for us and truly wants to help.... He goes over every detail including the percentages/results from people my age with infertility issues and why he thinks we should try this. He wants to help us and get us results of a pregnancy. He truly cares about my husband and I.... First timed medicated cycle. I did gonel-f at 50 for 6 days and than ovudril after ultrasound/bloodwork said I was going to ovulate.
Very on top of everything. And always there to answer questions you have. Office staff [Fertility Center of Michigan] is always very friendly. And happy to help anytime you need it. No weaknesses. This office rocks. I definitely would tell a new patient to try to not be nervous. They truly want to help....Medicine cost was $40-$900 depending on my insurance. Ultrasound was half covered so that was $190. Bloodwork was covered. Office visit was $50
Nothing. He is a wonderful doctor.
He is very caring and down to earth. Wants the best for us and truly wants to help.
First timed medicated cycle. I did gonel-f at 50 for 6 days and than ovudril after ultrasound/bloodwork said I was going to ovulate. Second I did another medicated cycle. This time doing gonel-f at 75 for 7 days than the ultrasound/bloodwork. Than ovudril as directed
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy Brown)
Very informative & funny. Makes you feel better about the issues.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very on top of everything. And always there to answer questions you have. Office staff is always very friendly. And happy to help anytime you need it. No weaknesses. This office rocks. I definitely would tell a new patient to try to not be nervous. They truly want to help.
Kalamazoo

He [Dr. James Young] listened to my concerns and what I was saying and going on with my body...He knew what he was talking about and was able to word it so then I understood what steps we were going to be doing. At each appointment he would explain in a way that made sense to me and my husband and we looked forward to seeing him at appointment and knew he would answer all of our questions that we had about the meds and timing with everything.
They [nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are amazing and very caring about their patience and they are very encouraging and able to talk to them about things that are on your mind...They are very caring and encourage of your well being and ask how you are as soon as you walk I to the office. They dont have any weakness that I see. The office is always clean and maintained. If you have something going on in your life that your struggling with and need a hug they will give you words of encouragement and a hug. They are awesome
Just go with the flow
He listened to my concerns and what I was saying and going on with my body.
So as of right now we are doing the ultrasound on day 3 or 4 of period then injection shots for 5 days then blood work and ultrasound one more day of gonal f injection shot then ovidil injection shot then intercourse the next 3 nights then start prtestrone on Friday April 19 then two weeks in home pregnancy test call with results. Supposed to do IUI but don't have the extra money right now for it.
They are amazing and very caring about their patience and they are very encouraging and able to talk to them about things that are on your mind
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
So we had to pay out of pocket for some of our ultrasounds some meds, all IUI if we did ivf office visit copays. Insurance did cover like 3 things office visits, ultrasounds and meds with copay
Kalamazoo

I have no weaknesses to report. The fertility center is amazing. All staff is always polite, kind and compassionate...The nursing staff and staff at the fertility center in general is amazing!...[Dr. James Young] is very patient but also straight forward and factual. I never feel confused when he is talking about treatment and what could come next...Although we are still not pregnant, dr young has been very clear each visit on what might come next, leaving no surprises for us. We love that he is very “to the point”. We have no doubt that he is setting our treatment plan in our best interest. Hoping we see a miracle soon...
Like any patient going through infertility I would encourage they come with a set of questions for their doctor! It can all be very confusing and you want the answers while you’re able to speak with them versus when you’re at home with no one to answer the questions
Dr young is very patient but also straight forward and factual. I never feel confused when he is talking about treatment and what could come next.
AMH year in April showing positive for PCOS, first round ovidrol and Femara in May-, also hsg showing blocked right tube, in May one follicle, second round in June 2 follicles on blocked side, surgery in July to open tube, third round in August, 2 follicles on left side- right side open from surgery, fourth round September- midcycle ultrasound tomorrow
The nursing staff and staff at the fertility center in general is amazing!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have no weaknesses to report. The fertility center is amazing. All staff is always polite, kind and compassionate. As said before, as a new patient be prepared to come with a list of potential questions so you can be ready to get all the answers you’d been waiting for for so long!
Affordable. Insurance covers ultra sounds, meds are around 70 a month, and surgeries were what was costly. Hsg around 400 and laparoscopy around 2500

2014 - 2019, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. James Young] is a very kind hearted person that my husband and i can talk to without feeling lots of grief when all we have in our mind is why? Why isn't anything working for us. He has went through many options with us to try and find some answers for us in our journey...When we would have appointments he would draw things out and explain word for word what we would expect and things he recommended we try...
the billing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] along with dr. young has worked with me with my insurance to get some things covered as we know not a lot of fertility is covered. The staff has also given me a couple numbers for medications so im not paying hundreds of dollars on one month of something. They have been very easy with taking payments on things...Its very homey and you just feel very comfortable. There is a lot of privacy in all the rooms so you dont feel awkward. I like where its at because when you walk in you know everyone is there for the same thing.
When we would have appointments he would draw things out and explain word for word what we would expect and things he recommended we try. He knew that we did want to spend a lot of money because things are expansive so he told us different options to try first before jumping into spending thousands of dollars. He looked out for the best interest of my husband and myself. He knew our struggle as we had a miscarriage before all the fertilty treatments. He knows how bad we want to be parents and is trying to get that to happen and find the outcome as he knows it can happen.
Listen to him, he knows what hes talking about. He is not just your doctor. Hes a ear that will listen to you and give you advice and make sure its what YOU want for yourself. He wants to give eveyone the wish of becoming a parent.
He is a very kind hearted person that my husband and i can talk to without feeling lots of grief when all we have in our mind is why? Why isn't anything working for us. He has went through many options with us to try and find some answers for us in our journey.
When we met with Dr. Young we first went over everything that he needed to know we had been trying to conceive for a year. I was referred by my family doctor to him. We explained how we had a miscarriage 2 years prior to coming here. He went over different things and treaments for us. We decided to start on femara. That wasn't working so he suggested i do a HSG. We did that it came back that my one tube was clear and good. The other one they couldn't see at all. The doctor didnt know if i had one or if it was there but inflamed as i had a person training and i tensed up. I was on the femera for quite awhile so he then put me on clomid in addition to injections. That still wasnt working so he upped ny dose. My husband then was tested and it showed he motility was low. So he then had us do a iui along with my injections and clomid throughout the whole time being at the fertilty clinic he also had me take progesterone pills. We are now to the point of having a laperscopic surgery to get some more answers as to why we still cant conceive. We are hoping for some good news. In all of this he has expalined to us every bit of the procedure and what will go in my body. He has told us different over the counter medications for myself and my husband to take to also help with conceiving.
All the nursing staff are so nice. They definitely all have a heart. And some have been in the same position as myself and others. They are so easy to talk to and always have a smile on there face. They always try to make you feel better or put you in a good mood. They always know what to say when you may feel discouraged or feel like giving up. They are definitely there because they love there job.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think everything about this clinic is perfect. Its very homey and you just feel very comfortable. There is a lot of privacy in all the rooms so you dont feel awkward. I like where its at because when you walk in you know everyone is there for the same thing.
They had specific days and times that you needed to come in. It may have messed with my work schedule. But it had nothing to do with the place. Its just how our body works. I know there are many people going through what i am so i understand. There are only certain days we can be seen at the clinic but that is because thats when they will be able to see things better in our body because of the cycle day we are on our what it looks like for the month. You cant have a baby any day of the month and they know that, thats why they plan accordingly to your cycle and when is best for your body
Everything has been very expensive. But the billing staff along with dr. young has worked with me with my insurance to get some things covered as we know not a lot of fertility is covered. The staff has also given me a couple numbers for medications so im not paying hundreds of dollars on one month of something. They have been very easy with taking payments on things. The only thing i wish they did was payments on iui or ivf. Instead of needing money up front. It can get discouraging knowing your doing all this paying all this for a possibility a what if. And if it doesn't happen you spend that all over again. I wish there was better payment options like that.
He is very productive in what he does.

2015 - 2018, Successful
He [Dr. Young] asks personal real life questions. Not all “doctor” stuff. He sat with both my husband and I, and I didn’t feel “rushed”. It is genuine. He’s funny and kind. He talks about his life to so it’s a mutual connection. Humans need connection in life and he provides this. ... He gives guidance on what to change and his knowledge on how to move on to the next step when the last IUI’s failed. ...
When you walk in the front desk [Fertility Center of Michigan] is fast and to the point to get you signed in. ... My IUI that I had performed NOT by dr young was different then how he did it. ... So consistency was off. ... The nurses are thorough and let you know what the need you to do. They help you to relax and answer any questions you have. ... $500 for IUI ...
James is a good doctor. He explains the good and the bad. He gives guidance on what to change and his knowledge on how to move on to the next step when the last IUI’s failed. He has improved being relational sense 2014 vists.
Confident.
He asks personal real life questions. Not all “doctor” stuff. He sat with both my husband and I, and I didn’t feel “rushed”. It is genuine. He’s funny and kind. He talks about his life to so it’s a mutual connection. Humans need connection in life and he provides this.
First cycle- femara 2.5mg pills cycle day 3-7. Had four mature eggs. I have one daughter from this cycle. Sencond cycle I was put on femara 2.5mg cycle day 3-7 only produce ONE egg. We backed out of the IUI. Third cycle dr young bumped my femara as I only produced one egg last time using 5mg cycle day 3-7 and had four mature eggs. IUI failed Fourth cycle femara 7.5 cycle day 3-7 had four mature eggs. IUI failed.
Fun enjoyable nice kind knowledgeable
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
When you walk in the front desk is fast and to the point to get you signed in. The nurses are thorough and let you know what the need you to do. They help you to relax and answer any questions you have. One weakness is that one lady in my follow up ultrasound assumes that we had fresh sperm when we ONLY have frozen viles which made me question if she knew what she was doing and made me feel uneasey about having my IUI done. My IUI that I had performed NOT by dr young was different then how he did it. So that was odd. He put a sponge thing to hold in sperm and the other IUI did not have that. So consistency was off.
$500 for IUI
Grand Rapids

Dr. Young is definitely very wise and I felt I could trust him with our treatments. Personally, I feel like his bedside manners could improve a little. He is very kind and thorough, but somewhat awkward at times. I felt like I had to push treatment changes when things didn't work but that's also largely a part of my personality. He always explained things in an easy-to-understand way.... I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course.
Strengths [Fertility Center of MI]: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.... Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana.
Keep in mind that although he can come off a little quiet or awkward at times, I do believe he has plenty of wisdom and experience to handle direct treatment courses. I'm still undergoing treatment (more aggressive, I'll add) so I'm very curious to see how my thoughts on him will change, if at all!
Dr. Young is very kind and remembered some minor details about my previous cycles, which I really appreciated.
I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course. I was also thankful to move on to Gonal-F for IUI #4, though my dose was small (75iu nightly). I actually responded with fewer follicles than on 5mg Femara. My 5th and final IUI, we tried a higher dose of Follistim (125iu) and I responded very well! Almost too well: 6 follicles. I'm very glad my clinic was upfront and honest with me about the risks and let me make that decision alongside of them. We still went for that IUI and it was a negative, but I feel very good about that last shot IUI: we tried our best and I feel much more comfortable moving forward with IVF, especially since I've gotten comfortable with injections.
Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana. She is SO good at what she does and is insanely sweet and compassionate! I plan on requesting her for all my future scans, when possible.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.
I have zero fertility coverage besides 50% coverage for meds (which I realized was truly nothing since most pharmacies have an agreement and give women who are completely out of pocket a discount, so my med coverage didn't really do anything). Specifically with my clinic, a semen analysis was around $130. IUI including the sperm wash was $500. Most ultrasounds/appointments were in the $100 range, depending on your coverage, of course.
We are just about to start our first IVF cycle with Dr. Young, so I can't speak about embryo transfers yet. But, I did trigger and have an IUI with 6 follicles and they were very straightforward and honest with me about the risks. You could tell it was very important to them that I knew what I was doing.

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Young (and other doctors at this office) have always treated me well. They listen to my questions and concerns and address them wuth kindness, patience and understanding. I can't imagine going through this with any other doctor.... He has a dry sense of humor which always makes me smile. He and his wife also went through fertility treatments which give a better understanding of what a patient is going through.
This clinic [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] is amazing. They go above and beyond to communicate with patients and ensure quailty care. Infertility is difficult, and the staff at this clinic make it bearable. One weakness is that certain appointments can only be scheduled at certain a time of day, which is not always convenient.... A round of IUI was generally atounf $1,500 and IVF was around $9,000. You can apply for the Assured program, which costs around $19,000 and you get up to 3 IVF cycles, if they are all unsuccessful you get almost all of your money back.
Dr. Young is kind and understanding. He has a dry sense of humor which always makes me smile. He and his wife also went through fertility treatments which give a better understanding of what a patient is going through.
Ask questions. He likes Ohio State, so you have to look past that flaw. (Go Blue!)
Early on, we used a medication that had the opposite affect on my system, this was adjusted for the next cycle. This was more successful. It's difficult to remember all of the things we have done. Dr. Young was always very honest with us. I felt that he gave us all the facts and helped us to make decisions based on our personal case.
I love the nursing staff. They are very knowledge and go the extra mile to make sure patients are fully prepared throughout the process.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This clinic is amazing. They go above and beyond to communicate with patients and ensure quailty care. Infertility is difficult, and the staff at this clinic make it bearable. One weakness is that certain appointments can only be scheduled at certain a time of day, which is not always convenient.
Grand Rapids

He [Dr. James Young] evaluated my past before I came in and knew what tests to run to find the problem. He explains things in terms that we can understand... definitely took his time with us when we would meet to discuss plans. He didn’t rush us out of his office to get on to the next patient. He seems to care about his patients and their past...resulted in 4 eggs retrieved, one embryo frozen (Grade 3). About to start another cycle with same meds but add clomid on day one. We will be doing PGD testing which is why we froze the one embryo.
They [the nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] know the protocols and if they were unsure how to proceed they would always let me know they would ask the Dr and let me know that day. I always knew what was happening. If I had any questions they would explain everything very well...Paid $10,500 for first cycle and $3000 for the next 2 (multi cycle discount up to 3 cycles). Medications cost $130 for first cycle.
At first he seemed quiet and I wasn’t sure what to think of him, but towards the end of our first appointment I knew he was very good at his job just by what he was explaining to us. He evaluated my past before I came in and knew what tests to run to find the problem. He explains things in terms that we can understand.
Ask questions if you are unsure.
I feel like Dr. Young definitely took his time with us when we would meet to discuss plans. He didn’t rush us out of his office to get on to the next patient. He seems to care about his patients and their past.
First cycle used fermara only. Resulted in a pregnancy that ended at 16.5 weeks, no reason found. Second cycle used 375 Gonal F And 75 menopur for about 9 days (ganirelix and HCG shot towards the end also) resulted in 4 eggs retrieved, one embryo frozen (Grade 3). About to start another cycle with same meds but add clomid on day one. We will be doing PGD testing which is why we froze the one embryo.
They know the protocols and if they were unsure how to proceed they would always let me know they would ask the Dr and let me know that day. I always knew what was happening. If I had any questions they would explain everything very well.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Organized, helpful, compassionate workers. Front desk staff very helpful and work with your schedule. So far my experience has only been good there. They get you in quickly and there isn’t much of a wait at any appointment.
My insurance covers all ultrasounds and 4 estrogen blood draws a month. Paid $10,500 for first cycle and $3000 for the next 2 (multi cycle discount up to 3 cycles). Medications cost $130 for first cycle. Office visits were covered by my insurance.
The Dr. seems to want to transfer 2 for our case as I have trouble carrying them so the hope is that at least one will stick.