Freyja Clinic

Doctor available by emailNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolStanford U.
ResidencyStanford U.
570 Price Avenue
Redwood City, CA 94063
650.701.1882
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jan Rydfors to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Freyja Clinic to a friend?
2009 - 2011
6 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Immunological
He [Dr. Rydfors] cares a lot, and is very up to date on current science. He thinks creatively about your problems and will recommend other providers if he thinks that's your best course of action. He treated me for about 9 months (Femara + IUI, and Injectables + IUI), diagnosed my immunological issues and endometriosis, and recommended a clinic for IVF when it was clear I'd need to move onto IVF. He saw me through 4 devastating miscarriages (during IVF) and delivered my first son (through IVF)...Femara (he prefers it to Clomid in every way) + IUI, Gonal-F + IUI. Intralipids for treating immunological issues.
2009 - 2011
6 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Immunological
How was your experience with Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
He runs behind in his appointments, but that's because he spends all the time you need when he's with you. (He was running more than 3 hours late for our first appointment, and it's a credit to him that my husband still agreed we should work with him!) He cares a lot, and is very up to date on current science. He thinks creatively about your problems and will recommend other providers if he thinks that's your best course of action. He treated me for about 9 months (Femara + IUI, and Injectables + IUI), diagnosed my immunological issues and endometriosis, and recommended a clinic for IVF when it was clear I'd need to move onto IVF. He saw me through 4 devastating miscarriages (during IVF) and delivered my first son (through IVF).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
Schedule the first appointment in the morning so you're less likely to have to wait. And if you get pregnant, book all your appointments up front.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
Dr. Rydfors has the best bedside manner of any doctor I've ever worked with. He saw me through four devastating miscarriages, and delivered my first son. He cares immensely.
Describe the protocols Jan Rydfors used in your cycles at Freyja Clinic and their degree of success.
The nursing staff is fine, but the office is very disorganized. The individuals are very nice, but managing Dr. Rydfors' chaotic schedule has to be incredibly challenging, and appointments were always a problem. Eventually I learned to always call first to see what time I should actually show up (but then often couldn't get through to a person in the office).
Describe your experience with Freyja Clinic.
Dr. Rydfors is amazing, but the rest of his team is more mixed. The office is super chaotic, and his appointments are almost never on time. That said, he's worth it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic.
Insurance covered diagnostics and treatment with Dr. Rydfors.
Describe Jan Rydfors's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Freyja Clinic.
n/a - I didn't do IVF with Dr. Rydfors.
What specific things went wrong at Freyja Clinic?
Redwood City
I just felt like out of everyone I saw, he cared most about my actual well-being and cared how all this treatment was affecting me. He's has more alternative leanings than most fertility doctors (e.g., supports supplements, diet changes, minimal procedures, natural birth) and that's not everyone's cup of tea.
How was your experience with Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
I answered this question earlier.
He's has more alternative leanings than most fertility doctors (e.g., supports supplements, diet changes, minimal procedures, natural birth) and that's not everyone's cup of tea. But if you are open to it and are desparate to get pregnanat, I'd suggest going to see him for a consult if nothing else. It helps to get another opinion and you never know what you may learn. In my case, his suggestions on diet changes to help manage my PCOS has made so much difference.
Dr Rydfors is really personable. Part of it is because he's Swedish and has a foreign air that is very charming. But mostly, I just felt like out of everyone I saw, he cared most about my actual well-being and cared how all this treatment was affecting me. On my first (and only) appointment, he went above and beyond, offering to perform an ultrasound free of charge when I was very insistent that I did not need yet another ultrasound. He said he felt it was important for a comprehensive and meaningful first visit and while I acquiesed, he discovered that I was already pregnant :) That's my kind of doctor!
It's hard to believe, but Dr Rydfors care team is even more frustrating to deal with than the ones at UCSF. Unbelievable. Never answer the phone, don't always call back, patients don't get assigned to anyone in particular, hard to know if anyone's looking at your emails, no one person on top of your case, etc etc. So much time spent being on hold getting nowhere!
What specific things went wrong at Freyja Clinic?
2013 - 2014
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I was DONE when I was convinced to go see Dr. Rydfors... Dr. R spent an hour with me at my first appointment, explaining to me what he thought the problem was... the first person who could actually tell me WHY I couldn't get pregnant.
2013 - 2014
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
I was DONE when I was convinced to go see Dr. Rydfors. I'd been told that IVF was my only option and that even that was iffy. Dr. R spent an hour with me at my first appointment, explaining to me what he thought the problem was. He even drew pictures. He was thought and convincing and was the first person who could actually tell me WHY I couldn't get pregnant. He went over a treatment plan with me and told me to give him three months. I was pregnant with twins two months later. Dr. R oversaw my entire pregnancy and delivered my twins. He was incredibly caring and involved the entire time. He's very good at what he does, and he's an amazing person.
Dr. Rydfors is often very behind on appointments. It's tough to deal with, but you come to realize that it's worth it. He gives every patient the time they need and deserve, and he makes it a point to deliver as many babies as he can.
Dr. Rydfors is incredible and makes you feel like you're the only patient he has. When it was necessary, he called me from home at night and on the weekends. When on vacation, he still kept tabs on my care.. Everyone in the office knew me and was invested in my experience.
They knew what they were doing and were directed by Dr. Rydfors at all times. They were also very caring and invested.
2009 - 2014
Endometriosis, PCOS, Immunological
A wonderful, knowledgeable doctor who truly cares for his patients and is very empathetic and available. [Dr. Rydfors] spent time on my case outside of regular office hours to give me the best treatment possible.
2009 - 2014
Endometriosis, PCOS, Immunological
How was your experience with Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
A wonderful, knowledgable doctor who truly cares for his patients and is very empathetic and available.
Although he may run late, once you are in with him he will give you his undivided attention for how ever long is necessary.
Dr Ryfors empathized with me and my husband from day one as he and his wife also experienced infertility. He spent time on my case outside of regular office hours to give me the best treatment possible. He always responded to emails and was very patient and thorough with me.
Friendly