Massachusetts General Hospital

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolHarvard
Danvers
104 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923
978-882-6767
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jan Shifren to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 75%Don't recommend: 25%8
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Massachusetts General Hospital to a friend?
2012 - 2014
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Other
Dr. Shifren was great; very warm and friendly but honest. She was encouraging about our chances but realistic that it might be a rough road (which it was). Any time we hit a setback or made progress she personally called me with comfort or congrats. The only downside is that I didn't often see her in my regular (sometimes daily) clinic visits, but I wasn't bothered because I found all the doctors to be great and she was deifnitely reachable if needed.
2012 - 2014
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Be patient....I think that's probably universal in the fertility process though.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Shifted is extremely warm and empathetic. I never felt rushed or like I couldn't talk with her. She personally called to check in with me several times outside of regular visits. All of the other doctors and nurses I saw were always positive, warm, and friendly. Even though they had tons of other patients lined up I felt like I got personal attention.
They were always warm, funny, and friendly. I really never had a bad experience with a nurse that I can remember. The office seems to run really efficiently. I rarely had a long wait. The front desk staff was a little blase but the interaction with them is minimal (and they were never unfriendly).
2013 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Doctor Shifren is very compassionate and caring, but there is a point in which her demeanor is almost too sensitive that felt like I was a baby myself. I got to see her a lot though, which is comforting....Dr. Shifren and team agreed to giving me one try at IVF with my own eggs due to DOR/poor egg quality. Needed a salpingectomy, then started an aggressive Lupron Flare protocol.
2013 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Doctor Shiffren is very compassionate and caring, but there is a point in which her demeanor is almost too sensitive that felt like I was a baby myself. I got to see her a lot though, which is comforting.
If you prefer a very gentle and coddling personality, she's definitely for you. If you're more straightforward and "down to business," I recommend another doctor.
Dr. Shiffren and team were very warm but it was clear decisions were based on published statistics that make the clinic "successful."
Describe the protocols Jan Shifren used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Shiffren and team agreed to giving me one try at IVF with my own eggs due to DOR/poor egg quality. Needed a salpingectomy, then started an aggressive Lupron Flare protocol.
Awesome!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Well run and efficient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital.
There were monitoring hours but you made an appointment. It was very well run and efficient. The best part was, you were almost always monitored by a doctor who would tell you what was happening while you were there. You would still get a call later from a nurse with instructions, but at the monitoring appointment, you would know how things were progressing. No anxious waiting involved.
2010 - 2014
1 IUI, IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I would say to trust her. Dr. Shifren knows what she's doing. She's not overly aggressive with the treatments like some doctors...She was thorough but very efficient at the same time.
2010 - 2014
1 IUI, IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
dr Shifren was professional and very thorough in explaining everything. i would say she's one of the best in her field. she was thorough but very efficient at the same time. she had great bedside manner as well. when I miscarried she called to say how sorry she was, and when I got pregnant (twice) she called to congratulate me and say how happy she is for me. I loved the nurse that supports her as well. I still frequently send her and dr Shifren photos of my daughters who she helped me bring to this world!
I would say to trust her. she knows what she's doing. she's not overly aggressive with the treatments like some doctors who gets you pregnant but will multiples which is high risk. she helped me get pregnant twice and I ended up with two singletons. Two healthy girls.
I talked to her nurse, Judy all the time. She was very caring and thorough with the instructions given to me for all the medications etc. They remembered details of my husband as well although he did not visit the clinic as much as I did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Judy Shankman)
Compassionate, organized, and trustworthy
2007 - 2012
She [Dr. Shifren] was very kind, knowledgeable, and honest. I was feeling very fragile and disheartened and she found a way to give hope but not false hope. She was non judgemental. She made you feel like she remembers every patient who walks through her door....She was very personable, did not rush me, was very empathetic....Very personable. Felt like everyone [at MGH] knew me, my struggles, and my hopes. Felt like they were my team and that I mattered.
2007 - 2012
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She was very kind, knowledgeable, and honest. I was feeling very fragile and disheartened and she found a way to give hope but not false hope. She was non judgemental. She made you feel like she remembers every patient who walks through her door.
She was very personable, did not rush me, was very empathetic.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very personable. Felt like everyone knew me, my struggles, and my hopes. Felt like they were my team and that I mattered. Well organized and efficient. Location wasn't ideal to where I lived and worked at the time. Parking was kind of a pain.