6.5

23961 Calle de la Magdalena
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
500 Superior Ave
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Their [HRC Fertility] encrypted message system had problems. It only worked for certain employees, it was frustrating extra work getting medical records and lab results to them initially...I do feel like she [nurse] cared about me. She found me on my lining check day to wish me luck and give me a hug. She also e-mailed me about my negative beta, and responded with empathy
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Simply put, we paid Dr. Frederick $41,631.68 for 10 dead embryos. We'd had prior success with Dr. Nelson at HRC Pasadena, which I will review separately. We switched to Dr. Frederick in OC because it was a far distance to the Pasadena office where Dr. Nelson is. When we had our initial consultation with her, we told her that this would be our last try, and asked her if she recommended that we use donor eggs. She said that she didn't think it was necessary, and recommended trying with my own eggs. She insisted that we do PGS, which we did not agree with, and I've previously stated. We considered going back to Dr. Nelson, but decided to go forward with the treatment with her. At my saline sonogram, a 2 cm intermural fibroid was identified by the tech. She stated that she wanted to do a freeze all cycle for PGS, so she would address the fibroid via hysteroscopy after "the harvest." This essentially took any fresh transfer of untested embryos off the table for us and limited our options to those that she'd already chosen for us. She recommended ICSI due to my husband's age, even though his SA came back good. IVF #1- Antagonist protocol- Follistim 450, Menopur 75, Ganrelix 250x2, and Doxycycline. 7 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 2 biopsied and frozen for PGS. I asked to be informed about how many embryos that I still had on day 5 before they took a biopsy because if it was fewer than 4, it would not be a cost effective choice, I would just transfer all embryos. I was refused that information about my own embryos by Dr. Frederick. She would not give the report until after the biopsy. She is completely inethical. At that point, I could refuse PGS, but my embryos were already damaged and the cells already taken. Since I only had 2 embryos to PGS test, Dr. Frederick recommended we do another retrieval cycle and send the additional embryos together to be PGS tested at once. Since we wanted to maximize our chances, and we felt that the PGS testing fee was so high that we needed to check more embryos, we agreed to do another IVF retrieval. IVF#2- Lupron microdose Flare 40mcg/0.2mcg with Omnitrope 5.8 units, Follistim 450, Ovidrel 250x2. 8 retrieved, 6 fertilized, 2 sent to PGS. PGS results: one normal female three abnormal males. The normal embryo was from the first retrieval. Hysteroscopy: She determined that she had no need to remove my intermural fibroid, but advocated timely transfer in case it became large enough to affect implantation. She repeated over and over. "You only have one embryo", even on my transfer day. And yet, she did not recommend an ERA, even when I asked her, she said that she didn't think I'd need one. Transfer. I was unhappy with the scarcity of labs done for my transfer. Progesterone was not checked at baseline, only estrogen, and again at my lining check, only estrogen. She was not specific about the timing of starting the progesterone in oil, or the timing of when I would do my shot. I know that this timing and level is important for uterine receptivity. I felt like she had my money and she was going to do as little monitoring as possible for it. Since the FET failed, she could blame my body for it. My lining was an 8 at lining check. When I voiced my concerns that it was too thin, she pushed my concerns aside. On day 4 post transfer I found my embryo in my underwear and my beta was less than 2. At my post appointment she was ready to take more money- to do more cycles with us, or do donor eggs or donor embryos. I told her, "We are done." She failed. I also mentioned donor cycles in CZ, and that seemed to hit a button with her. She said, "We don't know how those people are screened." We are now facing the emotional and financial loss. Even if we did have the resources to continue, it would not be with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Find someone else. Anyone else would probably be better.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Frederick heard me, but she didn't listen. We had no say in the trajectory of our treatment. For example, when we told her that we did not want to do PGS because we felt that it is morally wrong for us, she did not respond, but later had her assistant tell us that she would not give us treatment if we did not do it. We also had to agree to allow the clinic to destroy our abnormal embryos in order to do the PGS that we did not want to do. Besides just being a number, she took away our rights over our own embryos. It was also very difficult to get information about what sort of chances that the treatment would have from her or why she was recommending the protocols that she was recommending, for example, why an 8mm lining was acceptable for transfer to her.
Describe the protocols Jane Frederick used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
I mentioned this already, but the reason that she said that she wanted to change protocols is that she was hoping that the Lupron flare would yield more embryos. Unfortunately, we had the same amount, and the 2 from that cycle were PGS abnormal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle and Liz)
Liz was nice, although she was the voice of Dr. Frederick in most cases, and I do feel like she cared about me. She found me on my lining check day to wish me luck and give me a hug. She also e-mailed me about my negative beta, and responded with empathy. Michelle was disorganized and did a rather poor job of delivering the bad news of my negative beta. Her FET med protocol sheet was confusing to follow. because of the way it was formatted, I misunderstood the instructions missed the first 3 days of Estrodial. When I realized what had happened, I contacted her, and she reached out to Dr. Frederick, who said, just follow the instructions as of today, and don't try to make up the missed doses. When she gave me the bad news, I can't say specifically what she did wrong, but just that she really didn't seem to know what to say. No empathy. She passed me off to Erika via e-mail to schedule my follow up appointment, and Erika didn't respond. So, I had to wait about a week without an idea of when my closure would come. It took an email to all of them stating that I was unhappy with the way that it was handled for Erika to follow through. Also, many of the phlebotomists at this location seem inexperienced. At many of my labs blood draws, many of them poked me more than once to get a vein. One phlebotomist poked me three times trying to find my vein and I became dizzy, and started to pass out twice. Another phlebotomist had to step in after I'd had juice and sat with my head below heart level.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
HRC Newport (OC) has relatively good SART scores. That was one of the reasons, besides the close to home location that made me choose it. If you are a glutton for financial and emotional punishment, having your concerns ignored, and being batched out on birth control pill with many other patients, then this is where you need to go.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility.
$41,631.68 out of pocket
Describe Jane Frederick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
She repeated "you only have one embryo to transfer". How negative.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Their encrypted message system had problems. It only worked for certain employees, it was frustrating extra work getting medical records and lab results to them initially. Daisy the onboarding coordinator kept referring me to Liz to get medical records to the office, and Liz wasn't responding. We paid $18,000 cash out of pocket for my first retrieval over the phone ahead of time and they asked for $18,000 again when I went in for the baseline. Jessica in the financial department had made a clerical error and the payment was missing. There are more things that went wrong. I was understanding and assertive about it, and approached the staff with kindness and a sense of humor to make working together go smoother.
Newport Beach

We only talked to the doctor [Dr. Frederick] twice in a 13 month period...Dr. Frederick didn't contact us when we decided to use frozen eggs. She should've contacted us and reviewed the pros and cons of this route...Dr. Frederick was well aware of our finances and showed complete lack of compassion to us....Honestly how was I supposed to be hopeful when the doctor was so negative. After she transferred our 1 embroyo that made it after 5 days,
We only talked to our patient coordinator [at HRC] (who was amazing!) During each visit the tech who did my blood work and checked my uterine lining never knew what was going on with my appts. It felt like we were telling them what to do vs. them being aware of our appt...Natalie was great, through in her communication, quick, compassionate, and always accommodated our appt times....The clinic was great. The only odd thing was that they always played kids movies in the waiting room.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Since we only saw her twice in over a year I can't speak to her strengths. Maybe except she always got back to the nurse fairly quickly. After her giving the go ahead to use frozen donor eggs she only communicatedthat they had a lower success rate but proceeded since we were doing PGS testing. The day of our transfer she walked in and said "well frozen wasn't the way to go, the red flag was that we had to thaw 14 to get 5." That was the first thing she said to us! Then proceeded to say our embryo was a B/C grade and that she would go ahead and transfer it but the odds weren't good. Honestly how was I supposed to be hopeful when the doctor was so negative. After she transferred our 1 embroyo that made it after 5 days, and PGS testing she said "well if this doesn't work let's re-group and do a fresh transfer". I started crying uncontrollable how could she think we just had another $30,000 laying around! No compassion at all. Financially we opted for frozen eggs vs fresh because that's what we had to start a family. Dr. Frederick was well aware of our finances and showed complete lack of compassion to us.
Make sure you're okay with only communicating to a nurse coordinator.
We only talked to the doctor twice in a 13 month period. We only talked to our patient coordinator (who was amazing!) During each visit the tech who did my blood work and checked my uterine lining never knew what was going on with my appts. It felt like we were telling them what to do vs. them being aware of our appt.
I was put on birth control pills, progesterone in oil, estrace, and one more injection that I can't recall the name. My protocol made sense and everything went smoothly. My uterine lining was thick enough to move forward with a transfer. She did try and put me on a ton of supplements that I purchased once. When I was finished I went to Whole Foods and purchased my own.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Castillo Rubio)
Natalie was great, through in her communication, quick, compassionate, and always accommodated our appt times. I wish she was contracted so she could work with other doctors!
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic was great. The only odd thing was that they always played kids movies in the waiting room. The surgical center where they do the transfer never had enough seating and for some reason there were a lot of children (not babies but children). The only time we had to wait longer than 10 minutes was the day of our transfer.
All of our fees were paid to the egg donor agency except the PGS testing fee which was $5,050
We only had 1embryo to transfer.
Newport Beach

Dr. Frederick is a nice woman, however, I don’t feel like she thinks outside the box. I felt like she had a set protocol no matter who the patient is. She didn’t take the time to really find out what the cause of our infertility was.... I felt like Dr. Frederick didn’t take the time to see what the best protocol would be for me. I felt like she had 2 protocols and she didn’t tailor the protocols to me. It felt like she didn’t take the time to do simple tests to see if there were any other issues that could be contributing to our infertility.
HRC has great facilities that are easily accessible. The facilities are very clean. The support staff and nurses were all very welcoming and make me feel comfortable, especially when I first went and was in uncomfortable positions 😬 One weakness is that the Newport Beach Office is more often than not running late.... Allyn Ann was absolutely amazing! I wish she were a fertility doctor so she could help us have a baby. She went above and beyond what an average nurse would do. Natalie was so great too. She was very responsive and compassionate. Highly recommend both.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Frederick is a nice woman, however, I don’t feel like she thinks outside the box. I felt like she had a set protocol no matter who the patient is. She didn’t take the time to really find out what the cause of our infertility was. She doesn’t have any bedside manners either, which is fine because my husband and I didn’t need the extra handholding. That being said, it would have been nice to have some compassion when none of our embryos passed genetic testing our first cycle or when we only had one healthy embryo the second cycle and then miscarried.
Don’t expect to have your protocol tailored to you and don’t expect her to have good bedside manners.
Honestly, I don’t remember because it was all a blur. However, it’s my understanding that she uses two protocols and she tried both on me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allyn Ann and Natalie)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The costs for Dr. Frederick were about $20,000 and the medications were about $5,000
We only had one healthy embryo so we didn’t have a choice.
Newport Beach

Dr. Frederick has a set protocol for all her patients. The treatment plan was not customized. In spite of my diminished ovarian reserve and poor egg quality, she put me on birth control pill for 31 days before the injectables in order to accommodate her busy schedule with all her patients. My eggs were retrieved before they were matured and they all could not survive 3 days after retrieval. After the treatment, Dr. Frederick told me to consider donor eggs because she " could not make miracle happen."
Clinic [HRC] is a chaos. Too many patients are waited to be seen. There are tons of patient but not enough seats. Some patients have to sit on the floor and some of them has to wait outside of the clinic. It is a disaster....Dr. Frederick has many patients so the care coordinator is also very busy. I could not understand why it took her 7 days to notify me my day 3 blood test results after I had started my ivf cycle with my injectables. It is totally not acceptable....
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
A few hours after the very first consultation with Dr. Frederick, we were given the calendar of dates for the injectable, the dosage and also the egg retrieval date without her doing any physical exam or ultrasound on me. Because of her reported high success rate, I chose to trust her even though I felt I was being treated like a number.
Try harder.
Antagonist protocol with Gonal F 450 unit and Menopur 75 unit together from the beginning till the end. No dosage adjustment at all throughout the treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Priscilla Davalos)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Clinic is a chaos. Too many patients are waited to be seen. There are tons of patient but not enough seats. Some patients have to sit on the floor and some of them has to wait outside of the clinic. It is a disaster.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC Fertility.
I lived 1.5 hours away from HRC orange county, so I did my monitoring ultrasounds at HRC oceanside branch. What bothered me was that, the ultrasound technician refused to told me what she saw in the ultrasound. She said the doctor would explain to me, but the doctor never did. I went in for couple of ultrasounds for my ivf cycle and I had no clue of how my body responded to the injectables. I was kept away from the information of how the cycle went.
I signed up for 2 cycle banking of embryos, which is $23K. After 1st cycle failed, we decided to find another doctor and we got the refund from HRC for $11K. So this failed cycle cost us $12K with only egg retrieval, no PGS done, no transfer, and injectables not included.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
At the first, I asked the coordinator for injectable prescriptions so I could get injectables overseas. Latter I told her that I would not be able to get injectables and I would need her to call in the local pharmacy. She said she would call in when the cycle was about to start. 4 days before I was told to start the injectables, I reminded her to call in the pharmacy to order meds for me, she was upset and said I told her I would get meds overseas. I attached the email that I wrote to her that I could not get meds overseas and she promised me to call in local pharmacy for me. Then she realized she made a mistake and she called in the pharmacy. I almost ended up with no injectables and unable to start my cycle after taking 31 days of birth control pill.
Newport Beach

Did one retrieval with her [Dr. Frederick], transferred zero embryos. We tried for a second round and she cancelled the round before retrieval because I didn't have any follicles. She and I were in an examination room alone when she told me this. After she said we were cancelling the round, she said at the end, "I will see you in the front," as if there were more things to talk about in the front. I finished up and waited in the front. After waiting 5 mins while she talked with other patients, I went up to her and asked her if she needed anything else from me. She said, "Who are you?"
Although my appointment was at a specific time, the order in which I would be seen was dependent on what time I signed in. For the same exact appointment time, I have waited 5 mins and other times I waited an hour. The wait for Frederick wasn't as bad as Potter. I was very disappointed with the lab team [HRC Newport] as there was one person who draw my blood and leave me black and blue for days. The front office team was well coordinated.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
She was worse than Potter on remembering patients and the only reason I went with her is because our insurance at the time covered ART and HRC was on the list of approved providers. I didnt want to deal with waiting with Potter, so I thought we could manage with Frederick. She was a good salesperson as she makes you feel like she is competent but when it comes to the outcome, not so much. For example, when I had my two failed rounds and I suggested egg donor, she wrote back in an email, "We have excellent donors." She was lying, as HRC is not affiliated with any donor agencies and their donor coordinator was horrible at searching for donors. I stopped responding at that point because our benefits ran out at that time.
Be prepared to be in your hospital gown, on your hospital bed, with two other patients with you at the surgery center and she tells each one of you the same thing... Definitely felt like a number then, too.
Did one retrieval with her, transferred zero embryos. We tried for a second round and she cancelled the round before retrieval because I didn't have any follicles. She and I were in an examination room alone when she told me this. After she said we were cancelling the round, she said at the end, "I will see you in the front," as if there were more things to talk about in the front. I finished up and waited in the front. After waiting 5 mins while she talked with other patients, I went up to her and asked her if she needed anything else from me. She said, "Who are you?"
First round called for Follistim, second round called for Menopur. I don't have many eggs to choose from so I don't think she had much choice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Priscilla)
I do my best to be accountable in my actions and responsive in my communication. I believe the high price of IVF services demands high quality customer care and I believe the protocols of HRC helped Priscilla do her job well but over time I ended up having to prompt her for every step which was frustrating.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The wait for Frederick wasn't as bad as Potter. I was very disappointed with the lab team as there was one person who draw my blood and leave me black and blue for days. The front office team was well coordinated.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC Fertility.
I don't remember, sorry.
We didn't get this far.

2009 - 2012, Unsuccessful
We followed the calendar to a tee [with Dr. Jane Frederick] and didn’t need to make any adjustments...Didn’t feel a connection with her. I didn’t feel she explained much at all with me...She was nice but I didn’t feel that She explained much to me. No conversation was had in detail on trying to figure out the “why” behind our infertility. I felt like we jumped right into IVF which was ok but I would have liked more in depth conversation.
[HRC is a] Very busy clinic. It was very clean and inviting. It was located in an medical office building setting. Small waiting room...[nurses are] Polite and caring...No cost. We won a free IVF...She [Dr. Jane Frederick] was nice but I didn’t feel that She explained much to me. No conversation was had in detail on trying to figure out the “why” behind our infertility. I felt like we jumped right into IVF which was ok but I would have liked more in depth conversation.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Make sure you bring up everything you want to know. Don’t let your appointment go fast without having a true understanding of what is going on.
I used Lupron. I don’t remember much details about all the mess used. We followed the calendar to a tee and didn’t need to make any adjustments.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
Polite and caring.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Very busy clinic. It was very clean and inviting. It was located in an medical office building setting. Small waiting room. It has been a while since I have been there but i do remember the room had a TV for entertainment while waiting.
No cost. We won a free IVF.
She was comfortable doing a total of 2 embryos. No more than that.