Medical SchoolYale
ResidencyHarvard
FellowshipYale
115 East 57th St
NYC, NY 10022
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Janelle Luk to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Generation Next Fertility to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Luk always takes the time to explain everything and to answer my questions thoroughly. Dr. Luk and her staff always call with timely phone calls to explain results and for instruction. I also feel that she truly cares and customizes a protocol for myself and other patients... is very good at being informative and setting realistic expectations. With that being said, she is very compassionate and hopeful in her outlook. She is a great communicator and is very accessible whether by phone or email.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Generation Next Fertility?
Dr. Luk is very good at being informative and setting realistic expectations. With that being said, she is very compassionate and hopeful in her outlook. She is a great communicator and is very accessible whether by phone or email.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janelle Luk at Generation Next Fertility?
To make sure to ask as many questions as you need
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janelle Luk at Generation Next Fertility?
Describe the protocols Janelle Luk used in your cycles at Generation Next Fertility and their degree of success.
Cycle 1) Gonal F only as we started late in my cycle due to travel. It turned into a natural IVF cycle. My antral follicle count is low and she was able to retrieve one egg that went on to become a 5 day embryo (5AB) and frozen Cycle 2) Estrogen patch primed for 4 days (one patch for every 3 days) Then half a pill of Clomid and Gonal F 75. My FSH jumped up very quickly so medications were discontinued. This cycle turned into a natural IVF cycle
The nurses are very caring and communicate very well. They are constantly calling and emailing with results and to inform me of what to do next.
Describe your experience with Generation Next Fertility.
The clinic is very clean and organized. The set up with the reception/waiting area is unique but doesn't detract from the overall effectiveness of the practice. The labs seem to operate very quickly and accurately
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Generation Next Fertility.
There is always a wait, but the monitoring is done very smoothly. I can always count on being done within an hour of arrival
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janelle Luk at Generation Next Fertility.
A natural cycle IVF is $4800 self pay. If you have insurance it covers the monitoring, if not then that is $1000/cycle
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Generation Next Fertility?
As I said before, Dr. Luk is available and present for the majority of appointments. You have the opportunity to get comfortable with her. I believe she truly wants you to be successful in your treatment and happy with your experience with her practice. She talks fast, but she is responsive to questions. I believe she is extremely intelligent, but sometimes has difficulty communicating effectively and comes across "scattered". On a few occasions I felt she didn't look over my chart to refresh her memory as to what was going on with me.
Ask her to repeat or clarify information if you do not understand.
Dr. Luk tries to see every patient throughout the cycle, including the monitoring process. She makes sure your questions get answered by the nurse or she will call you herself.
Protocol Type: ART - Antagonist Suppression Meds: Gonal F - 300iu; Menopur 75iu for 7 days and 150iu for last 5 days. Added Ganerelix on day 8-12. Ovidrel Trigger. Results: Retrieved 5 eggs, fertilized 4 and 2 made it to blastocysts. After PGS testing 0 for transfer.
Friendly. Dr. Luk made sure her team was respectful to patients.
Describe your experience with Generation Next Fertility.
The clinic is small and intimate. As a commuter to NYC, it was difficult to get clear explanations on the schedule to come in. I tried to get them to provide advance notice if I would need back to back appointments, so that I could make plans to stay in the city. I had to remind them several times and it wasn't always communicated.
Monitoring hours lasted until 9:30, I appreciated this as a commuter.
I explored many clinics and Generation Next seemed to be the most reasonable.
Describe Janelle Luk's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Generation Next Fertility.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
On all of my monitoring visits, Dr. Luk would ask me why I was there. I'm unsure if this ws her method to check in and assess my insight and understanding about the process, but it upset and frustrated me, and my perception was that she did not remember who I was...Dr. Luk's communication style was extremely direct and rushed, and sometimes there was a tone of condescension when I posed questions to her, particularly questions we'd discussed before for which I was looking for further clarification.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
Dr. Luk's communication style was extremely direct and rushed, and sometimes there was a tone of condescension when I posed questions to her, particularly questions we'd discussed before for which I was looking for further clarification. One of the visits that stuck with me most was a monitoring cycle for natural IUI. I was instructed to come for bloods and ultrasound. After I gave a blood sample, I was taken to an ultrasound room, but then the nurse said "oh, actually no ultrasound" and I was not given any further information. I sat waiting for Dr. Luk for 45 mins before insisting I speak with her and ask why no ultrasound and what was the next step. She informed me that I would not have an ultrasound and IUI would be tomorrow. I have the feeling if I hadn't demanded to speak with her, I wold have left the clinic without any information regarding my visit nor instruction about returning for IUI. This is the kind of interaction that characterized my interactions with her and ultimately lead to me changing doctors within the practice.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
Choose another doctor who is less rushed and has more time for her patients. Also, not to expect a warm and empathic bedside manner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
On all of my monitoring visits, Dr. Luk would ask me why I was there. I'm unsure if this ws her method to check in and assess my insight and understanding about the process, but it upset and frustrated me, and my perception was that she did not remember who I was. Considering monitoring happens a couple of times per week in that final week leading up to the trigger and IUI, I was always taken aback by her lack of memory about why I was there.
Describe the protocols Janelle Luk used in your cycles at Neway Medical and their degree of success.
My first two cycles of IUI were not stimulated with any drugs, as that was my request. This was one element I was happy with regarding having her as my doctor (i.e., she allowed me to do natural cycles despite low chances of success which she communicated). As I was ovulating naturally, we then attempted one IUI with Ovidrel trigger shot, with the rational that we could time IUI better.
The nursing staff were always pleasant for blood draws and prepping for ultrasound. If I asked them questions, they often replied with "I'm new here and I'm not sure", but they would check with the doctor. Phone conversations with them are always pleasant.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
The clinic's strengths are the ease of scheduling monitoring and the easy monitoring hours which allows visits prior to work in the morning. I think this leads to very busy morning hours where the wait can be up to an hour for blood work and ultrasound.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janelle Luk at Neway Medical.
Most of the IUI was covered by my insurance but I can say the I paid a co-pay of $40 each visit. I think she once quoted me $700 for an IUI procedure including semen wash and analysis (this was during a period where I had changed insurance provider and coverage for IUI was still being determined by my insurance).
Describe Janelle Luk's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Neway Medical.
Her approach to medications was always recommending medications over natural cycle to improve chances of pregnancy.
2014 - 2017
Sh [Dr. Junalle Luk] e took the time to understand my history and tailored a treatment plan to me. Everyone in the clinic called me by name and recognized me. Appointments were efficient. Most important, Dr. Luk came in on her day off to do my first successful embryo transfer to ensure it went smoothly.... Dr. Luk combined low dose IVF injections with the oral medication (Letrozole) that I had responded to favorably during IUI cycles. Her rationale was that I had responded well to the oral medication and increasing the injections would likely cause my body to continue to fail to respond - a combination of low dose injections and the oral medication would be more favorable. With only injections, my first IVF cycle was cancelled with another physician and their plan was to increase the dosage. Dr. Luk's plan worked and we obtained three high-quality, five-day embryos from the first cycle with her. This cycle resulted in a healthy singleton birth. For my second cycle, we repeated the same protocol. My response was much lower (my DOR had worsened), but this, too, resulted in a healthy singleton pregnancy, which is in progress.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
I cannot recommend Dr. Luk enough. Most important, she helped me to achieve two healthy pregnancies in record time, where other doctors were not able to get me to respond to IVF meds. adequately. For my first cycle with Dr. Luk (which followed a cancelled cycle at CWRC and undiagnosed DOR), I was pregnant within two months. Dr. Luk took the time to understand my history and devise an effective, creative treatment plan. She’s a brilliant physician with a huge heart. For my second cycle, two years later, my response to the medication decreased dramatically, but where other doctors would have cancelled, Dr. Luk continued the cycle. I achieved a successful pregnancy with the single embryo that resulted. Her compassion and willingness to work with patients is unparalleled.
Don't hesitate to schedule a consultation with her. I would look nowhere else.
She took the time to understand my history and tailored a treatment plan to me. Everyone in the clinic called me by name and recognized me. Appointments were efficient. Most important, Dr. Luk came in on her day off to do my first successful embryo transfer to ensure it went smoothly. And it did result in a healthy pregnancy!
The nurses were extremely kind, personable, and attentive. There were times when instructions regarding next steps could have been more clear, but I could not have asked for a more engaged, caring team.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
N/A - Dr. Luk is now with Generation Next Fertility. I strongly recommend Dr. Luk and would recommend patients follow her to her new location.
Dr. Luk allowed my to choose whether to choose 1 or 2 embryos with our first and second transfers. She educated me on the options, but was flexible.
Neway Medical
DR. Luk's unique, low medication approach coupled with the individualized treatment plan got me pregnant in one transfer!...R. LUK is driven to find and fix each individual patients needs...was always very attentive to me. She changed my treatment plan every month according to my blood levels...Dr. Luk was always available for questions...We only used injectables just a few days before retrieval to make sure premature ovulation didn't occur
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Generation Next Fertility?
Dr. Luk at Generation Next Fertility clinic on 115 East 57th Street is simply the best RE in the world. I've been to 9 different high profile IVF centers. None of them could help me and they all recommended donor eggs. DR. Luk's unique, low medication approach coupled with the individualized treatment plan got me pregnant in one transfer! She is truly the best doctor I've ever come across in my life. All the other clinics have a 'one size fits all' treatment plan but DR. LUK is driven to find and fix each individual patients needs. She is amazing, super smart and down to Earth. Thank you Dr. Luk!
Listen to her advice and don't try to outsmart her. She really knows what she is doing.
Dr. Janelle Luk at Generation Next Fertility was always very attentive to me. She changed my treatment plan every month according to my blood levels. All other clinics just repeated the same protocols over and over. Dr. Luk was always available for questions. At other clinics, I had to wait weeks sometimes to get a face to face with a doctor. Dr. Luk is simply the best.
The nurses working with Dr. Janelle Luk were great. They remembered my name, didn't treat me like cattle like they usually do at the big clinics. They were great at drawing blood (no bruising) and they were great at answering question and making sure I was always well taken care of.
Describe your experience with Generation Next Fertility.
Generation Next Fertility is beautifully remodeled and located in Midtown Manhattan at a super convenient location.
100%. Covered by insurance
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
The number one reason why I like Dr. Luk is because it feels like she's really thinking about your cycle and about her own treatment philosophy. She's neither stuck on purely cookie-cutter conventional methods nor drawn to the latest trends. She seems to have a lot of confidence in her own opinion, which appeals to me. I also like that she's flexible in a way that I imagine is only possible in a small clinic like this; if I arbitrarily want to use one brand of medication instead of another because of something I read, she's willing to accommodate. If I want to come for monitoring a day early for my peace of mind, or more often than is strictly necessary, she is okay with it. My only complaint is that her style of communication can be disorganized; sometimes it seems her brain is moving too fast and she skips from one view to another without explaining what changed her mind. She also could improve her listening skills, stopping to fully hear a patient's question or concern before answering; it's not that her answers are dismissive, more like she's so eager to clarify or reassure you that she sometimes misses the specific point you were trying to get to.
You can trust her intentions completely. But make sure you understand why she wants to do certain things; sometimes she seems to give too much weight to what the patient might want based on something they said (e.g. she might push a less expensive protocol if she knows money is an issue) and so she'll advise accordingly when in fact the patient wants only to know what works best and can weigh factors like money or discomfort on their own.
Dr. Luk brings a lot of energy and enthusiasm into the exam room. She always seems happy to see you, even when the monitoring hours are busy with lots of patients. While her style of communication can be a bit chaotic, it feels as if she's thinking about your case, and her approach doesn't feel rote or one-size-fits-all. She seems willing to tweak protocols, either to satisfy the patient's psychological needs (as long as it's not harmful) or to account for specific issues that arise.
I underwent an IUI (my second-- the first was with another doctor) with letrozole, which went smoothly but no pregnancy. Then had a diagnostic hysteroscopy and some other monitoring and eventually did an IVF cycle (antagonist with estrogen priming), using ICSI and freeze-all (for hormonal reasons) with later medicated FET. Achieved pregnancy but miscarried due to chromosomal abnormality.
This is tough because a couple of excellent nurses have left the practice in the time I've been there and I really feel their absence; hopefully someone will fill their shoes soon. The current nurses (as of early 2017) are pleasant enough, and they are reasonably available by phone or when you're in the office and want to have a chat about something. They always call promptly with the day's results. But some of the current nursing staff aren't as precise with their knowledge and communication as the ones that left. I'm fairly demanding, though, and extremely well-informed, so I may be a tough patient to impress in this regard.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
The truly great thing about this clinic is that as a smaller operation, there's room for flexibility in treatment, ease in communicating with (or across) various departments (nursing, billing, phlebotomy, etc.) and a comfortable, familiar feeling when you're there and seeing the same faces all the time. You don't feel as if you're in a factory. I find it very empowering to be able to stick my head into the billing office and ask a quick question, or to ask the person doing the blood draw to add a specific test at the last minute. My impression (based on my own experience) is that the embryology lab is strong. The word I keep returning to in my mind is flexibility. Going through infertility can be extra nightmarish for a control freak, so it helps a lot to go to a clinic that allows some customization (whether in IVF protocols, billing decisions, scheduling, etc.). Over time the prices have gone up and everything has gotten more busy, but it's still pretty good compared to what I hear about larger clinics.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Neway Medical.
For morning monitoring, which is first-come first-served, most of the time I only had to wait a short time, for maybe one or two patients, before being called in for blood or ultrasound. Every now and then, maybe one out of five times, the wait was longer.
Costs have gone up since we last paid for treatment so these prices are no longer relevant. In early 2016 we paid $800 for each of two IUIs. Then we paid $8900 for a conventional IVF cycle, but $1600 of that ended up being subtracted and applied to a later FET cycle, the total cost of which was $3200. Neway provides a discount for the second IVF attempt if the first one fails.
Her approach seems balanced. Very ready to transfer two blastocysts (not so risky for me given advanced maternal age). I'm not sure if she'd transfer more than two blastocysts.
Neway Medical
Due to her [Dr. Luk] cultural background, she's fairly candid and blunt. But I always felt she was compassionate and personally invested in my care. She did her absolute best to make sure that I was taken care of by her staff, and did her personal best to help me through any other issues that she could...She was trying to balance not over medicating me, but also hoping to get enough good eggs knowing that I have zero IVF insurance coverage...
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
Due to her cultural background, she's fairly candid and blunt. But I always felt she was compassionate and personally invested in my care. She did her absolute best to make sure that I was taken care of by her staff, and did her personal best to help me through any other issues that she could.
She can come across as blunt and not quite as warm, but she is very warm and personable once you get to know who she is. It was easier for me to get past it because I have friend's moms who are just like her and I realized it's more of a cultural thing.
I was personally spoken to or emailed on every single occasion.
For first round IVF (undiagnosed infertility, I'm almost 35), I think she started with a fairly normal regiment of meds (based on what I read from online forums). My eggs/follicles weren't progressing (on one side) as much as she liked, so she started to increase the medications in hopes of a good cycle. She was trying to balance not over medicating me, but also hoping to get enough good eggs knowing that I have zero IVF insurance coverage. In the end, we were able to retrieve 9 eggs, but only 2 embryos made it for PGD testing.
I like that it's easy to communicate with the nurses via a secure emailing system. I could send an email and get a response from someone within 24 hours. If they could answer the question, they would. If they couldn't, they would have a doctor get back to me very quickly. Though I did prefer some nurses over others because I felt some were more thorough in email explanations, you get whoever is answering emails.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
Strength: organized, easy to get a hold of someone, treated like a person and not a number, little details like pads/tampons in the exam rooms are appreciated, everything can be done over email (which I prefer because I can't be making private calls at work all the time) Weakness: They're pretty aggressive about billing. Immediately phoning for payment as soon as a procedure is done. Even phoning for payment for a procedure that hasn't even been fully decided on yet by the doctor (that was annoying to keep explaining that we haven't even fully decided yet if we're doing this procedure, so I'm definitely not paying yet).
I have zero IVF insurance coverage and everything was out of pocket. These were my approximate expenses: 16,500 for IVF (including all monitoring and bloodwork), anesthesia for egg retrieval, PGD/freezing process, and upcoming FET Not including: Medications and genetic testing done at third party labs
I'm not at the point in the cycle for a transfer, so cannot give insight on this.
Neway Medical
Dr. Luk was recommended to me from a friend and we had a great experience with her. She is an incredibly smart and amazing surgeon and is very direct, which is important. She also called and emailed a lot which was really nice. But as someone who asks a ton of questions, I sometimes had a hard time understanding her answers (due to her being ESL and the fact that she is (understandably) always going a hundred miles per minute) Because of Dr. Luk's scheduling and being out of the office when I was ovulating, we ended up getting all three of my IUI's done with Dr Nejat. Dr. Nejat is much more thorough in answering questions and a little more gentle.
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
I would recommend asking her to repeat her answers if you don't understand them. She was very patient with us in repeating herself and we found it very helpful!
Dr. Luk took time out of her day to call me whenever I had questions.
Before my first IUI, I had a polyp on my ovary that she discovered and removed. The first IUI I did naturally without medication. For the second and third, I would take clomid the first 5 days after my period, have my blood taken after to determine ovulation, go in to have an ultrasound of my ovaries, and then the nurses would call in a prescription for a trigger shot. I would then go in for the IUI exactly 36 hours after the shot.
They were extremely helpful and caring.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
The clinic was awesome, always on top of everything. I felt comfortable there and always felt like I was in good hands. I believe Dr. Luk and Dr. Nejat no longer work there, and I would possibly consider going back anyway, because the staff was so friendly, helpful and accommodating.
co-pay - $25 per visit
1 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
As this is the 3rd clinic I've used and the 7th clinic I've interviewed...she [Dr Luk] and her team have been incredibly responsive to email / requests. Also, leading up to my procedure, she almost had me come in daily for ultrasound / blood of which I think at least one could have been skipped. As these are all included in her package, this just meant additional cost to her.
1 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
Dr. Luk can be aggressive in her suggestions as appropriate. I think this is her nature and her trying her hardest to get her patients pregnant. A more cynical person would say this is also good for business. Our first consultation she said I was 2-3 days from ovulating so she could perform an egg retrieval that week! During the IUI/IVF cycle, we had initially discussed a mild stimulation but upon discovering that I had potential for up to 9 eggs, she immediately wanted to change course for a more aggressive treatment. As this is the 3rd clinic I've used and the 7th clinic I've interviewed, I pretty much know what to expect so I can not comment as to her patience for education. However she and her team have been incredibly responsive to email / requests. Also, leading up to my procedure, she almost had me come in daily for ultrasound / blood of which I think at least one could have been skipped. As these are all included in her package, this just meant additional cost to her.
As with all IVF clinics/doctors, the more you know about the procedure, the more you can understand what could/will happen. Of the clinics I've visited though, I like Neway the best. Just be prepared for Dr. Luk's approach or ask her to explain her reasoning so that you don't accidentally get pushed into treatment you don't want.
Dr Luk has a somewhat brusque manner but she makes statements that show she still cares about the patient. In addition, knowing that I am international, she has responded to my emails herself out of office hours and reminded her staff that my situation is slightly unique to others. She is a busy person so will not always be available to hold your hand but her and her team are responsive.
I started with Mild IVF, 100mg Clomid, which is on the high side. To try and push that last 1-2 eggs, I started 150 gonal-F halfway through the cycle.
I met with 3 different nurses for some reason depending on who was in the office that day. They all seemed relatively knowledgeable about my case. As a "veteran", I already knew most of the information although they happily reviewed the key points, like medication, just to make sure. They responded quickly to my concerns and explained when things were not appropriate. For instance, they gave me a choice of pharmacies to use to fulfill my medication prescriptions. I do think some of them are more knowledgeable than others so there is still some luck of the draw but all seemed competent.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
This is one of the only clinics I saw that offered outcome based fees. While more complicated, I think the break even point is around 7-9 eggs where if you produce less than 7 eggs, this is a more affordable clinic. 7-9 eggs it's about the same price, more than 9 eggs and it may be slightly more expensive. Please double check as their pricing is subject to change. That helps to ease the pain of a less than successful IVF. However, having said that, they do have some extraneous fees that no other clinic mentioned such as an "outside monitoring fee" which apparently is for nurses who need to coordinate with external clinics if you don't go to Neway for your blood tests/ ultrasound. Also the fee to thaw frozen eggs for IVF seems higher than another clinic. On the positive side, they just moved into a brand new facility which is gorgeous. It's a very easy 2-3 block walk from 4 subway lines. Their operation consent form was concise and full of information, I actually highly suggest every patient read it. Their monitoring procedure was the most straightforward and procedural like. Upon giving your name to registration (anytime between 7:30-9:30am), you were sent to blood draw which was usually fast, then down to ultrasound. The busiest days are Mondays/Fridays where I may have waited 30 minutes. On Tuesday, I was in and out of ultrasound in less than an hour which is a record. After ultrasound, the nurse sits with you as needed and answers all your questions or notes them for the doctor. The only thing I would say is that their operation procedure times seem to be later in the morning after monitoring. If you are fasting before your operation for general anesthesia that means no food/liquids until probably noon the next day.
Conventional IVF - 8,900 (1st time), 7,100 (2nd time). Mild IVF (clomid) - 5700 (3-6 eggs), 6900 (7+ eggs). FET cycle - 3200.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Immunological
I have DOR, and she [Dr Janelle Luk] put me on almost the opposite protocol from the clinic I had been at prior. I was skeptical at first but I got results every cycle. Based on what was happening in the cycles and how I responded to the drugs she adjusted the types of medications I was taking. After several chemical pregnancies I was ready to move on to IVF. Other clinics wouldn't do IVF for me due to the fact I only get 1-2 eggs per month, but she said she would collect those eggs over several cycles. I ended up not needing to go forward with that as she had me
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Immunological
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
I felt very well taken care of by Dr. Luk. She was always calm and optimistic, even when I experienced set backs. I felt comfortable with her, and felt like she knew who I was even though she sees many patients every single day.
I imagine her bedside manner is not for everyone, although it was great for me. I felt comfortable in a personal interactions although I could see some people finding the treatment to be too informal.
She was very friendly and sat down to speak with me at all of my monitoring sessions and really explain what was going on and answer questions. She always asked how I was feeling, and tried to keep the overall tone lighter and happy.
I have DOR, and she put me on almost the opposite protocol from the clinic I had been at prior. I was skeptical at first but I got results every cycle. Based on what was happening in the cycles and how I responded to the drugs she adjusted the types of medications I was taking. After several chemical pregnancies I was ready to move on to IVF. Other clinics wouldn't do IVF for me due to the fact I only get 1-2 eggs per month, but she said she would collect those eggs over several cycles. I ended up not needing to go forward with that as she had me do one last IUI.She had suspected I had built up an immune response to pregnancy that was resulting in the chemical pregnancies I kept experiencing. She put me on prednisone in addition to progesterone, and I got pregnant that cycle.
the nurses are all friendly, younger girls that were always very pleasant to deal with. I got familiar with some of the nurses, but I also noticed that there seemed to be a high amount of turnover and frequent new faces. I am not totally sure, but I got the impression that there may have been a few nurses on staff but that there was a good amount of medical assistants instead of nurses. That is speculation though, and all the staff was excellent regardless of their certification
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
Strengths- smaller practice, more personal feel, innovative care. Weaknesses- longer wait times for monitoring, less doctors on staff. Not allowed to go up to the clinic before 7am monitoring starts, you are forced to wait in the lobby in the elevator bank, and then people don't necessarily get seen on a first come first serve basis (some people will budge ahead of people waiting longer when getting off the elevator to be at the reception first). Harder to reach outside of office hours.
Insurance covered some of the monitoring, but not the IUI or medications. It came to about 900$/month
Neway Medical
Janelle took lots of time to explain the IVF process as related to a person like me, who is a carrier of a genetic disease. She answered all of my questions in a way I could easily understand. She also personally saw that I was connected with the lab that is completing my PGS...I would say that she almost seemed too excited to work with me, based on my Fragile X carrier status...Janelle is incredibly knowledgeable. She has a lot of experience and made me feel very comfortable.
European, Middle Eastern
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Generation Next Fertility?
Janelle is incredibly knowledgeable. She has a lot of experience and made me feel very comfortable. I would say that she almost seemed too excited to work with me, based on my Fragile X carrier status. It almost felt like I was going to be a fun experiment, but as we continued to work together it appeared that she's just really into what she does. That's who I want as my doctor. Someone who loves what they do and knows how to do it well.
She talks VERY fast. If you don't understand something, just ask her to slow down and explain it again.
Very kind! They have an excellent demeanor and they are all very knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Generation Next Fertility.
It's a beautiful facility very close to train access. For me, personally, it's a bit far from home in Brooklyn. I would only recommend going there if you need a specialist in genetic factors. The office itself is very welcoming. The rooms feel private and the furniture is very comfy. All the suites are decked out with large screens so you can see what's happening during your sono.
Conventional IVF 13,000 Anesthesia 500 Meds $1,000+ Monitoring $1000 PGD Testing $2000 Egg Freezing $2000
She decided what was best based on the odds of my genetic situation. I went with her opinion because she provided strong rationale.
East Side
[Dr. Luk is] Highly capable and intelligent, very relational, detail-oriented, great sense of humor, goes to lengths to explain things and make sure we understand, good listener and good communicator, feel very taken care of, generally very enthusiastic but emotionally sensitive as needed, fights for us when the need arises, get the sense she is working hard for us behind the scenes.
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
No constructive criticisms - she has been amazing for us. She is already working on the one big change/move that should make her services even more outstanding, which is leaving her current situation. We will definitely look her up to find her when she moves.
Takes an above and beyond personal interest in us, at least once called by personal cell phone number, has verbally (and otherwise) expressed that she really likes us and really wants to help us (and I believe those were not just words she says to all of her patients).
Genetic probe and PGD testing to be able to navigate genetic abnormality. IVF cycle with ICSI, egg retrieval resulted in 8 eggs retrieved, 3 embryos created, 1 viable for transfer. In progress.
While some nurses have done very well with email follow-up, recent high turnover in Neway (including our patient coordinator) caused some communication/continuity problems.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
Recent high turnover caused some communication lapses.
Had to pay out of pocket, but Dr. Luk did her best to see how she could help us out.
Neway Medical
She [Dr. Luk] was effective and understanding, with a low medication intervention approach. I got pregnant with her at the age of 41 with just 3 IUIs. When the clinic made a mistake, she took responsibility and steps to make sure it didn't happen again...She was no nonsense, and told me things in a straightforward way but with empathy and tact...Make sure to ask to see her if you feel more comfortable, ask staff to explain all the steps to you, and what's next, and make sure you're on top of what you need done, because they can miss some details...
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
She was effective and understanding, with a low medication intervention approach. I got pregnant with her at the age of 41 with just 3 IUIs. When the clinic made a mistake, she took responsibility and steps to make sure it didn't happen again.
One natural IUI, then 2 cycles with chlomid. The 3rd IUI resulted in pregnancy. I wanted to try as little medication and intervention as possible. Used donor sperm.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Neway Medical. (Assigned nurse: Marlene Garcia)
I didn't have a lot of in person contact with her, she was only assigned when the clinic made a mistake, and the nursing staff seemed pretty disorganized. I'd have to remind them to do tests that I needed.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
The clinic is pretty disorganized and they forget to tell patients all the steps to expect. You have to stay on top of them about things that need to happen. It's better if you have contact with the doctor; you can request to do so.
It was covered by my insurance. I did have to pay for an out of network anesthesiologist for a hysteroscopy.
Neway Medical
I was overmedicated several times [with Dr. Janelle Luk] and had to cancel cycles. Inappropriate medications used...clomid, then letrazole, then injectables (gonal f)...Overstimulated several times. Took medications for many months without even being able to try to conceive.
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
very disorganized practice. They did not even call with results that we found out after we left the practice. I was overmedicated several times and had to cancel cycles. Inappropriate medications used.
Consider otherwise. I wasted a lot of time and insurance benefits, had a very aggravating and depressing experience, and was only able to get the proper care to get me pregnant when I left. I went there because they were in my insurance and left to an out of network provider- best move I ever made. I would still be pumping my body full of hormones (inappropriate for my diagnosis and often overstimulated) and having gotten nowhere.
clomid, then letrazole, then injectables (gonal f)
Disorganized in the early morning crazy monitoring slots. Not knowledgable. Sometimes weak English.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
Strength: nice facilities Weaknesses: inappropriate care, disorganization, slow, not communicative
Most of my costs were covered my insurance, which is why I went there, but the billing department would often not update my chart and I had to advocate for myself often to get my coverage.
none. I left before getting to ivf there.
Neway Medical
I liked Dr Luk personally, but NeWay is understaffed. Dr Luk's only method is mini IVF.... First IUI: Supposed to take clomid for 5 days but nobody told me how long to take it and I wound up taking it for 10 days which caused health problems. This was on account of poor nursing staff. IVF 1 & 2: Mini IVF - clomid to start then low dose menopure and follistim. Strengths: Saw Doctor often Weaknesses: Unorganized and incompetent staff made for a dreadful experience and poor results overall. Overall, I would strongly advise against going to neway. I feel that I wasted my insurance money on procedures and medication that would have been better spent with more advanced clinics.
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
I liked Dr Luk personally, but NeWay is understaffed. Dr Luk's only method is mini IVF. There were countless mistakes made by her staff, and terrible communication. I felt my 3 cycles with Neway wasted my time and money.
With so many other options in NYC, I would strongly recommend attending another, more progressive and organized, clinic. I truly believe I wasted money and time with Neway and would hate to see others do the same.
Nurses were meant to email protocols by end of day, many times I had to call to remind them. Many times they gave the wrong protocol and I had to confirm with the doctor. Instructions were often incorrect and delayed and medications and procedures were often ordered incorrectly. Truly abysmal.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Neway Medical.
In general, monitoring was relatively quick. Usually max wait was 15 minutes.
estimated, $12k per cycle
She had no preference.
Neway Medical
Dr Luk is very smart, personable, and reassuring to work with. She made the process much more manageable for me. I would recommend her without hesitation. I also really liked working with her partner Dr. Nejat who did my retrieval.... Dr Luk and her partner Dr Nejat make the process much more personalized. They both have excellent bedside manner and personally follow-up
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Generation Next Fertility?
She is accessible for additional questions and will support you along the way
IVF with menopur, follistim, ganarellix, hcg and lupron trigger. 19 retrieved, 13 mature and all fertilized, ICSI performed, 7 day 5/6, 4 PGS normal
Compassionate and reliable. They are a fairly small team, and I feel like I got to know them well. Checked up on me multiple times post-retrieval
Describe your experience with Generation Next Fertility.
helpful front desk, monitoring hours 7:30-9:30 and generally in and out within 30 min. overall well-organized and compassionate staff. embyrologists also communicated well. highly recommend. treatment is personalized
7:30-9:30 am, generally in and out in about 30 min
10% co-insurance, $30 co-pays per visit, $200 deductible
recommends eSET
East Side
Dr. Luk makes you feel like you are working as a team all together. She is very positive and encouraging. She gets to know you as a person not just as a body...She is great. We feel like we are in good hands. While this road is not without bumps it helps to much to have great communication and follow up.
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
Be sure to ask her lots of questions and to explain the pros/cons of possible treatments.
Mini IVF cycle-no need for traditional IVF since we have male factor and have already tried several IUIs. Now trying IUIs again before a possible second try at Mini IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Neway Medical. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
Excellent---one nurse spent 2 hours with us reviewing how to do the injections. They are very responsive via email and always answer your questions.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
It is a lovely atmosphere...it feels patient centered and the space is beautiful. They do not seem too busy or crowded which is reassuring. It's great to have only 2 doctors so you can know them both and be more comfortable. The lab seems well run and very clean.
Reasonable with insurance co-pays.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr Luk is compassionate and very smart. She is very knowledgable in her field. I have never left her office with questions unanswered. She always has a smile on her face which is nice to see at a place like a fertility clinic. I have recommended Dr Luk to many friends and acquaintances...I felt like a human because that is how she treated me. She called me from home on the weekends. When I had an emergency situation I called her at 2am and she returned my call. She knew my case top to bottom.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
She will try everything in her power to get you pregnant.
Two different drug protocols were used. The first wasn't the right for me but the second one was perfect. I was also placed on baby Aspirin and Estrace daily for the second time.
Very kind and caring.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
Very clean, pretty and comfortable.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Neway Medical.
They saw you even when you were late in arriving for the specific monitoring window. They also always had a smile when you were late.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
She [Dr. Janelle Luk] is very knowledgeable and has good bedside manner. I like that she chooses the most natural route possible. She seemed to know the details of my case which I appreciate. She is warm, but direct and allows you to make the final decisions with treatment after informing you of the options...We did mild stimulation for IVF egg retrieval. I have low amh, so a milder protocol was chosen to focus on egg quality instead of quantity.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
She is very knowledgeable and has good bedside manner. I like that she chooses the most natural route possible. She seemed to know the details of my case which I appreciate. She is warm, but direct and allows you to make the final decisions with treatment after informing you of the options.
Ask lots of questions
Her bedside manner was very good and all of the nurses were warm and helpful.Dr. Luk also remembered the details of my case.
Very warm and helpful. I felt like the clinic was very well staffed
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
The space is nice and the location is good. It was nice being close to Central Park for visits after the clinic.
We spent about $10k for a cycle of mild ivf and will be spending an additional $4k for a frozen transfer.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr. Luk is the partner of Dr. Nejat, my primary fertility doctor at Neway. I consulted with her first when I started with the practice, but I found that she didn't listen to my medical history or read my file carfully before saying what treatment plan she wanted; she just has firm ideas about going with minimal stimulation and mini-IVF, which wouldn't have been appropriate given my age and history. I chose Dr. Nejat instead and he is wonderful and skilled, but I have occasionally had to see Dr. Luk if he's away. I just get the general sense that she isn't paying close enough attention to me as a patient and I worry that she's not aware of my medical conditions and history when she's treating me.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Other
I would advise the patient not to see Dr. Luk at all, but to go with her partner, Dr. Nejat.
Neway Medical
Dr. Janelle [Luk] explained to me and my husband how PCOS contributes to a difficult pregnancy. As I received the treatment more months in her office, I did not really see her around anymore. Either she was busy with other patients or she was dealing with her pregnancy (she was pregnant and working hard everyday).
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Neway Medical?
She is knowledgable and experienced. She is open to talk and she talks fast. She adjusted my prescription from Clomids to Letrozol when I showed no sign of responding. She did not force me to perform IUI, but I had once with her colleague and failed.
Her office is short of doctors, so do not expect to see her all the time and be ready to wait at least 20 minutes for your round.
Dr. Janelle explained to me and my husband how PCOS contributes to a difficult pregnancy. As I received the treatment more months in her office, I did not really see her around anymore. Either she was busy with other patients or she was dealing with her pregnancy (she was pregnant and working hard everyday).
Letrozol+HCG shot+IUI/Natural try Blood draw EVERY TIME!
caring, bilingual, efficient. Always reply to my emails fast.
2013
She [Dr. Luk] is a very good doctor and she took her time to explain everything to us. She not only shared the clinical aspects of the procedure but took the time to make sure we were feeling ok with the abundance of information. I didn’t feel pressured to make any decision and felt completely comfortable with the choices that we did make. She was excited for our success, which showed at every visit and ultrasound.
2013
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at New Hope Fertility Center?
She is a very good doctor and she took her time to explain everything to us. She not only shared the clinical aspects of the procedure but took the time to make sure we were feeling ok with the abundance of information. I didn’t feel pressured to make any decision and felt completely comfortable with the choices that we did make. She was excited for our success, which showed at every visit and ultrasound.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janelle Luk at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask whatever questions or concerns you have and she will give you an honest answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janelle Luk at New Hope Fertility Center?
She took her time to explain all the options we had, told me the options she would choose and shared personal stories of her own pregnancy.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
At the time of treatment Dr. Luk was actually working at a different clinic. She was part of New Hope Fertility and I had a great experience there. They were great at communication about all the test results and ultrasounds. The nurses and staff were friendly and polite which makes a big difference.
New Hope Fertility Center
2013 - 2017
7 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Uterine Fibroids, Other
My testimonial and concerns were heard via what I perceived was empathic listening and Dr. Luk collaborated with me, as she included me in decisions regarding my plan of care, with genuine disclosure....in my opinion, Dr. Luk is a "doctors' doctor". She rendered quality care and compassion to me as a patient. She listened, processed and responded to my concerns, which for me was a "rarity" throughout my years as a struggling, downtrodden fertility patient.
2013 - 2017
7 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at Generation Next Fertility?
May your experience be as good as mine or better.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Generation Next Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Marlene)
Professional
Describe your experience with Generation Next Fertility.
Attractive, clean, quiet, conveniently located.
not applicable