Alabama Fertility Specialists

FellowshipU of PA
2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Janet Bouknight to a friend?

6.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alabama Fertility Specialists to a friend?
She [Dr. Janet Bouknight] joked with us, spoke with us at length...My only negative would be that I feel, for my own sanity, the access to responses and answers aren't fast enough. I wish I had an email address to ask simple questions instead of having to wait for a call back or an appointment...She is very personable and doesn't rush either of us. She focuses on both me and my husband and tries to accommodate both of our fears and concerns.
European, Other
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
She is very personable and doesn't rush either of us. She focuses on both me and my husband and tries to accommodate both of our fears and concerns. She will joke around with us to keep things from getting too emotional. My only negative would be that I feel, for my own sanity, the access to responses and answers aren't fast enough. I wish I had an email address to ask simple questions instead of having to wait for a call back or an appointment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Don't compare yourself to others and come in with all your questions. She doesn't mind a type A personality.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
She joked with us, spoke with us at length... the nurses would call and ask about our lives not just the treatment.
Describe the protocols Janet Bouknight used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
We started with just letrozole and timed intercourse. Then, after three months, we started IUI's with letrozole moving onto injections with letrozole for the last two IUI's. Three total IUIs. The first was just meds and the uterine lining wasn't enough. The second, things looked better (2 follicles). The third, injections of the FSH stayed the same at 75 iui's and results were even better (4 follicles). However, it failed. Dr. is suggesting IVF next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
They are great. They call and chit chat about life and treatment. It's not just about fertility but she will call me back within a few hours.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
Strengths: They are attentive and no nonsense. Half of my fertility support group goes to this facility and they are realistic. They will suggest what works and they don't waste your time doing tests that they think are meaningless. They will discuss new technologies and I like how responsive they are. Weak: They are very very busy. Sometimes when you show up for an IUI .. you'll end up there for much longer than intended. I once waited almost 2 hours past my time to get the IUI. It seems that they are very popular which is good for them but can be stressful if you are working.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
So far, we've spent about 5k on medications and IUI's
Describe Janet Bouknight's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
no comments. She said she prefers single because of our age.
Alabama Fertility Specialists
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists.

[Dr. Bouknight has] By far the best bedside manor I have ever experienced...an amazing doctor and person! She always listens to our concerns and our ideas regarding our treatment. Also due to our commute (4 hours to clinic), she always adjusted her schedule/our appointments to accommodate...The best way to communicate is through the patient portal. She will always answer within a few hours or the following day.
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Bouknight is an amazing doctor and person! She always listens to our concerns and our ideas regarding our treatment. Also due to our commute (4 hours to clinic), she always adjusted her schedule/our appointments to accommodate. By far the best bedside manor I have ever experienced. She truly care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Bouknight is extremely compassionate. She is always willing to listen and answer any question I had. She was very understanding of our circumstances (travel distance, money, etc) and always worked with us. She always heard us out and let us be involved in our treatment.
Describe the protocols Janet Bouknight used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
My husband and I are considered unexplained infertility. We started treatments with clomid and timed intercourse. Which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. From there we moved onto clomid with IUIs (3). All resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Finally we tried injections with timed intercourse through ultrasound monitoring. This proved to be unsuccessful also. In June 2017, we will complete our first IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham.
The nurse was always very kid and understanding. She always returned my calls or emails promptly and sent out all prescriptions on time.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Their team is truly amazing and I say team because that is what they are. The few times I had to see a different doctor they were always up to speed with my treatment plan and our family's obstacles. It was very comforting to know everyone cared from receptionists, lab analysts, doctors and nurses.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Up until this point we have paid our regular co-pays ($12 each), medication costs, and IUI costs ($300 each). This summer will will have to pay for a full cycle of IVF with medications out of pocket ($17,000 roughly).
University of Alabama Birmingham
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham.

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
[Dr. Bouknight] Strengths- sweet person, genuinely wants what's best for you, will do everything she can to get you pregnant, excellent listener weaknesses- sometimes is hard to read, isn't the "warmest" at first but will open up more the more you work with her, doesn't always call with results or get back to you when she says she will (very frustrating especially during a IVF cycle)...Make sure you feel confident in talking to her, staying on top of your own treatments and goals, standing up for yourself and calling/bugging the clinic when you want something done.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Make sure you feel confident in talking to her, staying on top of your own treatments and goals, standing up for yourself and calling/bugging the clinic when you want something done. If you don't feel like you can do that, I'd find another clinic.
At times I felt like I got lost in the shuffle. I would say definitely be an advocate for yourself and stay on top of your treatment schedule.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Worked with Laura most of the time. She gets things done on time (calls prescriptions, etc) but sometimes seems like she's got too much going on. Doesn't always call back same day. The portal seems to be the best way to communicate with anyone there on the team.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
most of the time short wait time, excellent hours available before work hours (before 8am), easy to work with and accommodating. Clean and nice clinic too.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Alabama Birmingham.
monitoring appointments were super quick and easy to schedule. definitely a plus!
I want to say IVF was around 12-15K for all the meds and retrieval cycle w/ ICSI, IUIs were a couple hundred $, and frozen transfers were around 2500 + medication.
What specific things went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham?
University of Alabama Birmingham