Medical SchoolHarvard
FellowshipU of PA
2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Janet Bouknight to a friend?
9.8

9.8

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alabama Fertility Specialists to a friend?
2017 - 2019
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She [Dr. Bouknight] is on the conservative side when it comes to treatments options, so if you want to be more aggressive, I would seek a different path. She genuinely cares for her patients, spending time with them and being completely honest with them...discussed with us the fact that she does not perform selective reduction. She informed us we would not be transferring more than 2 embryos at a time. This hasn't been an issue for us since each IVF cycle has produced 2 or less embryos.
2017 - 2019
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Bouknight is obviously one of the smartest individuals I have ever communicated with, yet she can explain things to us in an understandable manner. Over the course of this journey, she has become more like family than our doctor. She still exemplifies the pinnacle of fertility care, but also exhibits compassion, which is so important when facing infertility. She is the first one to hug us at every visit, and ask about our entire family. She is conservative and methodical when it comes to selecting a treatment plan; she will never subject your body to more than it can handle. I have no doubt she wants us to leave this experience with a baby as much as we do.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Prepare to be cared for by one of the best in the business. She is on the conservative side when it comes to treatments options, so if you want to be more aggressive, I would seek a different path. She genuinely cares for her patients, spending time with them and being completely honest with them. You will probably have to wait a few months for an appointment, as the practice has grown tremendously over the past few years.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Bouknight has always spoken to us as though she genuinely cared for us. I have no doubt she is doing everything she can to get us a healthy baby. She jokes with us, laughs with us, and even identifies herself as "Janet" when she calls us.
Describe the protocols Janet Bouknight used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
Clomid was prescribed to me several months in advance before trying to get pregnant. I took this for several months before even attempting an IUI. Treatment #1: IUI with Clomid=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #2: IUI with Clomid=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #3: IUI with Clomid=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #4: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #5: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl (increased dose)=negative (Bouknight) Treatment #6: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl (increased dose)=negative (Bouknight) Treatment #7: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl (increased dose)=negative (Bouknight) Treatment #8: IVF/Antagonist Protocol: Estrace, Gonal-F, Cetrotide, Menopur, Pregnyl, PIO (after transfer)=2 embryos created, frozen, transferred-positive pregnancy test/Chemical pregnancy Treatment #9: IVF/Flare Protocol: Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur, Pregnyl -this cycle was changed to an IUI after ultrasounds showed fewer follicles than anticipated-PIO shots continued after procedure until a negative pregnancy test. Treatment #10: IVF/Antagonist Protocol: Estrace, Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Novarel: 1 embryo created and frozen-planning to transfer in June
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kendall Bolling)
Kendall has always answered any questions we might have, never hesitating to contact a physician if she was unsure of what to tell us. During our miscarriage, which was over a weekend, she responded to an email within less than 5 minutes by calling us directly. This is a great example of the compassion she exhibits during procedures and consultations.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
Alabama Fertility Specialists have been providing us with care for over 10 years now (my partner carried our first child, who is now 9). Over the years they have become like a family to us. They genuinely care about our family and sending us home with a baby after all of this is over. The only weakness I can think of is the fact they have grown so much over the past few years they are outgrowing their office space. When you have so many success stories and are paving the way for fertility treatments, patients flock to you!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
IUI=$324 each Monitoring visits=$30 each Egg retrieval procedure=$9,000 Frozen embryo transfer=$2,000 Sperm sample refreeze=$400 Various surgical procedures (copay)=$250-$400 Medications=around $4,000-$5,000 for IVF rounds
Describe Janet Bouknight's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
Dr. Bouknight discussed with us the fact that she does not perform selective reduction. She informed us we would not be transferring more than 2 embryos at a time. This hasn't been an issue for us since each IVF cycle has produced 2 or less embryos.
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists.

2015 - 2019
She [Dr. Bouknight] treats the patient, not just the symptoms. She is candid without being caustic. She is personable, approachable, and warm...Due to my age at the time of implantation (mid 30's), the high quality of the embryo, and the fact that we had them genetically tested, she preferred to do one the first round. I was happy with that decision....She is willing to try anything, even if the odds are low. She will tell you the odds are low, and she will manage your expectations appropriately. She is positive and optimistic, yet pragmatic and real at the same time....
2015 - 2019
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Bouknight is not just a fertility doctor. She is a fertility wizard. Anyone I know who is having fertility issues, I send to her. She is willing to try anything, even if the odds are low. She will tell you the odds are low, and she will manage your expectations appropriately. She is positive and optimistic, yet pragmatic and real at the same time. As I mentioned before, she actually cares if her patients conceive and carry to term. She also attracts great talent and has a great team. You can see she truly loves what she does, and her work speaks for itself.
Be honest and candid with her. Trust the process and the science.
The difference between Dr. Bouknight and other fertility doctors is she cares. She cares that you get the result you want. She cares if you get pregnant. She treats the patient, not just the symptoms. She is candid without being caustic. She is personable, approachable, and warm.
As a preface, my husband had a fertility tanking brain tumor. He had an extremely low count and low mobility. We were told by previous doctors that our only option was IVF with ICSI. We wanted to try IUI because it was the cheaper option, just to see. We changed over to Dr. Bouknight, who also wanted to try IUI first. She told us the odds were low, but there was about a 10-20% chance it would work. We tried it, and it did not work. We then went to the egg harvest and ICSI process producing four embryos. We genetically tested them because it increased the chances of getting and staying pregnant from 50% to 75%. All four of them came back healthy. We implanted in October 2016, and I tested positive for pregnancy 2 weeks later. We had our first child, a healthy, adorable boy (our preference), in June 2017.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kendall)
Dr. Bouknight attracts a talented, high-quality team. All of them are operating at the top of their game. Kendall is organized, responsive, and helpful. The nurses are friendly and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
The office is in a non-descript office building in Birmingham, Alabama near Mountain Brook. The office itself is clean, organized, albeit painted an interesting shade of blue. On your initial visit there is a lot of information thrown at you, so make sure you have your list of questions ready.
I don't remember the costs associated.
Birmingham

She [Dr. Janet Bouknight] joked with us, spoke with us at length...My only negative would be that I feel, for my own sanity, the access to responses and answers aren't fast enough. I wish I had an email address to ask simple questions instead of having to wait for a call back or an appointment...She is very personable and doesn't rush either of us. She focuses on both me and my husband and tries to accommodate both of our fears and concerns.
European, Other
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
She is very personable and doesn't rush either of us. She focuses on both me and my husband and tries to accommodate both of our fears and concerns. She will joke around with us to keep things from getting too emotional. My only negative would be that I feel, for my own sanity, the access to responses and answers aren't fast enough. I wish I had an email address to ask simple questions instead of having to wait for a call back or an appointment.
Don't compare yourself to others and come in with all your questions. She doesn't mind a type A personality.
She joked with us, spoke with us at length... the nurses would call and ask about our lives not just the treatment.
We started with just letrozole and timed intercourse. Then, after three months, we started IUI's with letrozole moving onto injections with letrozole for the last two IUI's. Three total IUIs. The first was just meds and the uterine lining wasn't enough. The second, things looked better (2 follicles). The third, injections of the FSH stayed the same at 75 iui's and results were even better (4 follicles). However, it failed. Dr. is suggesting IVF next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
They are great. They call and chit chat about life and treatment. It's not just about fertility but she will call me back within a few hours.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
Strengths: They are attentive and no nonsense. Half of my fertility support group goes to this facility and they are realistic. They will suggest what works and they don't waste your time doing tests that they think are meaningless. They will discuss new technologies and I like how responsive they are. Weak: They are very very busy. Sometimes when you show up for an IUI .. you'll end up there for much longer than intended. I once waited almost 2 hours past my time to get the IUI. It seems that they are very popular which is good for them but can be stressful if you are working.
So far, we've spent about 5k on medications and IUI's
no comments. She said she prefers single because of our age.
Birmingham

She [Dr. Janet Bouknight] takes her time, walks through the procedure/surgery with you and explains anything that is unclear.... I highly suggest seeing Dr. Bouknight. She makes you feel comfortable and can give you good next steps that are manageable. As someone whose insurance does not cover fertility, she always make sure I’m not given something I don’t need. I appreciate that.... First I had surgery to remove a bad cyst that wouldn’t go away and was causing extreme pain. While in surgery she found that I had stage 3 endometriosis and she burnt it away. Second we planned two IUI and I was taking 5mg of Letrozole for 5 days. Neither of those worked. We just finished a third IUI, this time we added Gonal-F injections as well as the Letrozole. Waiting to see the outcome of that.
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
My GYN recommended that I go to AFS because I had been trying for 5 years to get pregnant and I had a cyst that was causing extreme pain. Dr. Bouknight was immediate to address the problem and put together a time line of what’s next. The first thing she addressed was all the pain I was having. She pays attention to detail and is an excellent communicator. Every time I go to the office I feel like she truly cares about me and about helping me get pregnant.
If your scared or on the fence about going, I highly suggest seeing Dr. Bouknight. She makes you feel comfortable and can give you good next steps that are manageable. As someone whose insurance does not cover fertility, she always make sure I’m not given something I don’t need. I appreciate that.
She takes her time, walks through the procedure/surgery with you and explains anything that is unclear.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
Once you are a patient, you never speak to someone on the phone when you call, you leave a message and then they return your phone call. The only time that doesn’t apply is when you call for the first time.
Surgery - $1,700 (with insurance) IUI - $400 per procedure (done 3) (no insurance) Injections - $400 (no insurance coverage)
Birmingham

[Dr. Bouknight has] By far the best bedside manor I have ever experienced...an amazing doctor and person! She always listens to our concerns and our ideas regarding our treatment. Also due to our commute (4 hours to clinic), she always adjusted her schedule/our appointments to accommodate...The best way to communicate is through the patient portal. She will always answer within a few hours or the following day.
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Bouknight is an amazing doctor and person! She always listens to our concerns and our ideas regarding our treatment. Also due to our commute (4 hours to clinic), she always adjusted her schedule/our appointments to accommodate. By far the best bedside manor I have ever experienced. She truly care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Bouknight is extremely compassionate. She is always willing to listen and answer any question I had. She was very understanding of our circumstances (travel distance, money, etc) and always worked with us. She always heard us out and let us be involved in our treatment.
Describe the protocols Janet Bouknight used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
My husband and I are considered unexplained infertility. We started treatments with clomid and timed intercourse. Which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. From there we moved onto clomid with IUIs (3). All resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Finally we tried injections with timed intercourse through ultrasound monitoring. This proved to be unsuccessful also. In June 2017, we will complete our first IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham.
The nurse was always very kid and understanding. She always returned my calls or emails promptly and sent out all prescriptions on time.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Their team is truly amazing and I say team because that is what they are. The few times I had to see a different doctor they were always up to speed with my treatment plan and our family's obstacles. It was very comforting to know everyone cared from receptionists, lab analysts, doctors and nurses.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Up until this point we have paid our regular co-pays ($12 each), medication costs, and IUI costs ($300 each). This summer will will have to pay for a full cycle of IVF with medications out of pocket ($17,000 roughly).
University of Alabama Birmingham

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
[Dr. Bouknight] Strengths- sweet person, genuinely wants what's best for you, will do everything she can to get you pregnant, excellent listener weaknesses- sometimes is hard to read, isn't the "warmest" at first but will open up more the more you work with her, doesn't always call with results or get back to you when she says she will (very frustrating especially during a IVF cycle)...Make sure you feel confident in talking to her, staying on top of your own treatments and goals, standing up for yourself and calling/bugging the clinic when you want something done.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Make sure you feel confident in talking to her, staying on top of your own treatments and goals, standing up for yourself and calling/bugging the clinic when you want something done. If you don't feel like you can do that, I'd find another clinic.
At times I felt like I got lost in the shuffle. I would say definitely be an advocate for yourself and stay on top of your treatment schedule.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Worked with Laura most of the time. She gets things done on time (calls prescriptions, etc) but sometimes seems like she's got too much going on. Doesn't always call back same day. The portal seems to be the best way to communicate with anyone there on the team.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
most of the time short wait time, excellent hours available before work hours (before 8am), easy to work with and accommodating. Clean and nice clinic too.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Alabama Birmingham.
monitoring appointments were super quick and easy to schedule. definitely a plus!
I want to say IVF was around 12-15K for all the meds and retrieval cycle w/ ICSI, IUIs were a couple hundred $, and frozen transfers were around 2500 + medication.
What specific things went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham?
University of Alabama Birmingham
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham.