Medical SchoolU. of Wisconsin
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905
2101 Woodwinds Drive
Woodbury, MN 55125
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jani Jensen to a friend?

6.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mayo Clinic to a friend?
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Be prepared for [Dr. Jani Jensen's] strong, bubbly personality. It may come off as a lot at first, but she really is an amazing doctor that know what she's doing!...We've done 3 single 5 day embryo transfers so far. None have taken & now we're prepping for an ERA cycle...has amazing bedside manner & makes you feel like she is completely invested in you & getting positive results. Our results haven't been what she expected & I can feel her frustration that we aren't getting the results we wanted. She's just as invested in this as we are.
We qualified for the warranty program & also got a first responder discount [at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates], as my husband is a police officer. We paid $15,000 up front, for 3 cycles...I've delt with quite a few nurses in our time here. Some are absolutely amazing & others left me questioning things. Thankfully I have the email & know the name of the head scheduling nurse & if I have any questions on anything, I touch base with her. She has been absolutely amazing & very helpful.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Dr. Jensen has a very bubbly personality & you can tell she really loves what she does. She gets to know us more everytime we see her & remembers things we discussed the next time, which helps us feel like more than a number. She is very knowledgeable & is able to explain things in an easy way for us to understand. She's available for questions at all times & is so accommodating. We are very happy with her & our experience with RMIA.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Be prepared for her strong, bubbly personality. It may come off as a lot at first, but she really is an amazing doctor that know what she's doing!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Dr. Jensen has amazing bedside manner & makes you feel like she is completely invested in you & getting positive results. Our results haven't been what she expected & I can feel her frustration that we aren't getting the results we wanted. She's just as invested in this as we are.
Describe the protocols Jani Jensen used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
If you have a question for a nurse, tell the front desk you need to leave a message for a nurse, don't ask for anyone in specific, unless they told you to. When I asked for someone in specific, I got some attitude from the front desk. I've since learned to ask it a different way. I brought this up to the head scheduling nurse & the issue was resolved.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
I did my monitoring off-site at a satellite clinic, since I live 2-1/2 hours from my clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
We qualified for the warranty program & also got a first responder discount, as my husband is a police officer. We paid $15,000 up front, for 3 cycles.
Describe Jani Jensen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
Two has always been an option for us, but her main goal is a healthy pregnancy. We may switch to 2 embryos for the next transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.

IVF, Donor Eggs
She [Dr. Jani Jensen] is always ready with a smile, which is helpful on the bad days. She explains medical theories with lay man terms for our understanding, and she gives great illustrations. She has been very accommodating of our situation; we are having my sister be our egg donor, my sister lives in a different country and Dr. Jensen has been able to re-arrange her schedule to meet with us, she availed is with medication specifications such that my sister could get her meds wherever she is, we definitely don’t feel like she is pushing us to or away from a specific angle with medication, as we have felt with other doctors.
There has been a 1000$ administrative cost [at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates]...it feels more like a hotel lobby and that’s great...takes your mind off things for a while. The front desk could be better, most times we’ve been there, they kind of are rude about how busy they are. They’ll be on the phone and wave at you to wait, and then when they’re done, they’ll talk to each other for a while then get to you and it’s not the funnest thing in the world.
IVF, Donor Eggs
My experience with Dr. Jensen has been great so far. She is always ready with a smile, which is helpful on the bad days. She explains medical theories with lay man terms for our understanding, and she gives great illustrations. She has been very accommodating of our situation; we are having my sister be our egg donor, my sister lives in a different country and Dr. Jensen has been able to re-arrange her schedule to meet with us, she availed is with medication specifications such that my sister could get her meds wherever she is, we definitely don’t feel like she is pushing us to or away from a specific angle with medication, as we have felt with other doctors. We are able to do our research on the treatments she recommends and when we discuss our concerns with her, she is very knowledgeable and isn’t caught offguard by any questions. I’ve had doctors in the past have to pull up a google page to look up what am asking and that’s not right. I feel that Dr. Jensen has taken the time to know us, she remembers that my sister is out of the country, that my sister has kids, and she makes us feel like she’s taken interest in our life generally, that’s very helpful because it portrays that she cares and isn’t coming in to see us with another patient’s history or accidentally referring to us as someone else...it’s happened at another clinic before. So yes, so far, happy with our doctor.
Do your research, have questions ready, because she will answer them all. Don’t feel intimidated by the process, be sure to bring up everything that’s going on because she will try her best to work around your circumstances, and make things work out. So be honest and put all your cards out there.
Dr. Jensen is warm and cheerful, she passes on information to me carefully and is patient with my questions, making sure my husband and I understand her before she leaves the room. She hasn’t set any wild expectations, and she hasn’t crushed our expectations either, I believe she has a happy balance between our excitement and the scientific research showing our odds for pregnancy through donor egg IVF. She has a great assistant who is prompt with communication and is also very cheerful, I only find this a bonus trait because the infertility journey can be sad and gloomy most of the way, so to work with a cheerful team that puts a smile on my face is a huge plus. We haven’t yet started the retrieval process and are still at the stage of taking prenatal vitamins and oral contraceptives, however so far, my husband and I are comfortable and happy with our team.
Our journey has just started with Dr. Jensen, so far my sister is on Yazmin the oral contraceptive, since she will be our egg donor, and I am taking my prenatals, and I am wearing an estrogen patch. We start on an actual cycle next month and I can be sure to update my review then.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Katisha Bishop)
Katisha has awesome spirit, she laughs as makes jokes and makes the process kind of fun, it’s definately nice to go see her. This is just really important when going through such a rough time with infertility - to not be sad and frustrated or uncomfortable with them team, but to actually enjoy your time with them. We are currently enjoying the visits we have with Katisha. She is great at getting back to us with important information, very timely and detailed. She listens to what it is we are looking for and she gives recommendations based on our needs and our journey.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The clinic has a great atmosphere, they have chocolate for you in the lobby so that’s fun. It’s not a tropical clinic waiting area, it feels more like a hotel lobby and that’s great...takes your mind off things for a while. The front desk could be better, most times we’ve been there, they kind of are rude about how busy they are. They’ll be on the phone and wave at you to wait, and then when they’re done, they’ll talk to each other for a while then get to you and it’s not the funnest thing in the world. The water dispenser could be a little more visible, you are bound to need to fill up for altra sounds so it would make sense to have the water dispenser not be tucked off in a corner. But I get that it wouldn’t go with the decor. The rooms in which you meet the doctor and nurses are pretty and calming. There are no children allowed at the clinic so as you plan your clinic visit, you should make arrangements for any children you might have in your care. There’s great parking space, so there’s no need to worry about that, and the clinic is easy to locate.
There has been a 1000$ administrative cost We have talked to a psychologist for about 300$ We have had blood work done for myself, my husband and sister, which costs we haven’t gotten yet. My husband has had a demented analysis which cost we haven’t got. My sister’s Yazmin, and altrasounds too have some costs associated that we haven’t yet got. So far that’s all we have done.
We haven’t discussed this in detail yet, again, I shall update my review once we have gone through the full IVF cycle.
+ Read more- Read less

Jani [Jensen] is a very positive person and balances that well with being candid and not artificially inflating our chances of success....She has extensively chatted with us every time we come in for a checkup or procedure. She seems to actively be investing in our fertility journey.... She gave us the statistics regarding eSET or transferring 2 embryos and we were hoping to transfer 2, but only had 1 usable egg from the retrieval.
This clinic has friendly, competent doctors and friendly staff as well. They have 2 locations and the one that is closer for us, Edina, is frustratingly under-equipped. We chose RMIA - in part - because of the convenience of going to the Edina locaiton, but they seem to have very limited equipment, staff and hours for performing vital IVF check-up procedures at that location and they are always trying to get us to drive 4 times as far to their Woodbury location.
Jani is a very positive person and balances that well with being candid and not artificially inflating our chances of success. She has been much better at relating to us and the frustrations associated with infertility than our previous doctor.
I would be sure to talk through all of the additional costs for the various medications - on top of the IVF or IUI fees. We weren't prepared for exactly how many drugs and how expensive they were.
We did one round of IUI using Menopur and a few other drugs along with timed intercourse. Since we had already tried IUI 4 times at our previous clinic, we were ready to move on to IVF. We used a combination of Menopur, Gonal-F and a few oral medications. We only were able to get one usable egg from the retrieval and we implanted it after 3 days. Still waiting to see if it takes.
They struggled getting my wife's IV inserted when she went in for the egg retrieval. It took 2 nurses 4+ attempts and was difficult for my wife. They were very positive and seem to be invested in our hopes to get pregnant. Very friendly and sensitive.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
$23,000 for a warranty program that allowed up to 3 IVF cycles and an 80% refund if not successful. This did not include all drugs and a program start fee of $2,000.
+ Read more- Read less

Jani Jensen is a compassionate and intelligent doctor. She was open with us after each procedure did not go as planned, or failed completely....The first 2 protocols used were the usual. I did not respond well to stims, and they needed to be increased greatly. After my second cycle it was noted that I have poor egg quality and another protocol was tried to increase the quality of my eggs. I cannot recall the name. Though it required more prep time. That cycle caused more eggs to be retrieved, but I got OHSS and my lining was not ready so we have to do a freeze all on day one in November, 2018 and wait to transfer January, 2019. Sadly, this did not seem to increase the quality of the eggs and we lost the majority of our embryos. None making it to freeze, outside of the 1-day freeze all that was done in November.
We communicated with several different nurses [at RMIA-Woodbury]. At times, some not knowing the full story about our procedures and even put wrong information on our medication protocol. If I would not have questioned the nurses, I would have taken medications that were not supposed to have been prescribed to me for some cycles. One of the nurses apologized saying that the information is auto-populated and they forgot to delete it when giving me my medication schedule. That caused me undue stress when this procedure is already so stressful.
Jani Jensen is a compassionate and intelligent doctor. She was open with us after each procedure did not go as planned, or failed completely. Having done 3 cycles of IVF without good results, I wish that the clinic would be more upfront ahead of time on some of the things that could go wrong. I appreciate the optimism, but it was so much more difficult when things did not go as planned.
Ask questions, she will tell you the answers. She will not make you feel uncomfortable for asking. She is caring.
Jani acknowledged our pain when the cycles failed. She spoke with us about our treatments, but also asked about our lives in general.
We communicated with several different nurses. At times, some not knowing the full story about our procedures and even put wrong information on our medication protocol. If I would not have questioned the nurses, I would have taken medications that were not supposed to have been prescribed to me for some cycles. One of the nurses apologized saying that the information is auto-populated and they forgot to delete it when giving me my medication schedule. That caused me undue stress when this procedure is already so stressful.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The clinic is cleanly and organized. The waiting rooms prior to the egg retrieval were quite small and separated by curtains only. This made it quite easy to hear the conversations of other patients and doctors. It was hard to hear other patients come out of egg retrieval and get more eggs then we did. I wish that this area would be more personal and private.
We did not do monitoring at this clinic as we live 1.5 hours from them. We did them at our local clinic instead and had results faxed.
We did the 3 cycle IVF warranty program which was approximately $30,000 for procedures only.
Our doctor, due to my age (just turned 40) elected to transfer multiple embryos, which is something we were comfortable with doing.
+ Read more- Read less

As treatment progressed, I never heard from Dr. Jensen (only via email in a templated letter that stated the same thing every cycle). I felt after each IUI I was never given feedback about my progress or my cycle and reasoning for increasing my clomid dosage. I felt like just another person on her list of patients to review each month and that my treatment was not at all tailored to my personal situation.
This clinic [RMIA- Edina] is split between two locations which are extremely far apart from each other. One is in Minneapolis and the other in St. Paul. One would think the two locations would actually be more convenient for those who live on the other side of town. Unfortunately, the two clinics have the same nurses and doctors and the staff is forced to commute back and forth between them. This means that making an appointment for something simple like blood work or an ultrasound is actually difficult if you are not flexible with the hours that you can come in.
European, Latino
After my initial consultation with Dr. Jensen I felt confident that she knew what she was doing and that there was a real chance that IUI would work for us. However, as treatment progressed, I never heard from Dr. Jensen (only via email in a templated letter that stated the same thing every cycle). I felt after each IUI I was never given feedback about my progress or my cycle and reasoning for increasing my clomid dosage. I felt like just another person on her list of patients to review each month and that my treatment was not at all tailored to my personal situation.
Ask every single question you can think of at your consultation. This is literally the only time you will ever have a conversation with your actual doctor so even small questions like diet, exercise, be sure to ask her up front because she will not be available to meet with you after your consultation. Be prepared to work only with your nurses and to be in charge of your own treatment. Ask LOTS of questions every time you visit the clinic and make sure you understand what is happening each time you go. Barely any information is ever given at appointments so if you are unsure of something you need to be sure you ask -- the nurses will not provide you with any more than the bare minimum unless you ask. This clinic loves to do a blood draw even if you have a negative pregnancy test so be prepared to pay for your beta test every, single, cycle regardless of the outcome.
When I came to the clinic, I saw a new nurse every time I was there. I never had a chance to build a relationship with any person that made me feel as though my treatment was customized or personal in any way. It felt like a cattle call -- like I was a room of many women just going through the motions of the same procedures with no real reasoning or feedback throughout treatment.
When I met with Dr. Jensen, I had already had all of the basic workup done for my infertility diagnosis by my OB-GYN. My blood work, HSG, pap results, and even my husband's semen analysis had all been provided to Dr. Jensen prior to my appointment and all results led to an unexplained infertility diagnosis. While meeting with her, I asked if further testing could be done or would be required, and I was told that no further testing would be needed and that moving on to treatment was my best option as I had a 3% chance of conceiving naturally each month at this point. The overall strategy from Dr. Jensen was to try three medicated cycles of IUI with HCG Trigger shot before moving on to IVF. The first cycle, I was prescribed 50 milligrams of Clomid for 5 days beginning on cycle day 5, with ultrasound on cycle day 10. After analyzing the size of my two follicles, I was then instructed to use the trigger shot on day 13 and come back for IUI on day 14. This cycle was unsuccessful and on day 28 I came in for a beta test to confirm negative results. I was told everything looked normal and to try again for IUI #2. The next cycle I was told to follow the same steps as the previous cycle. When I came in for my baseline ultrasound on day 10, I was told that I had one cyst and one follicle that was almost ready. I did the trigger shot on day 13 and came in day 14 for IUI when I was told the cyst was actually just a small follicle that never matured fully but that the other follicle was adequate in size. This was another unsuccessful cycle and my beta test on day 28 confirmed the negative results. The next cycle I was told to follow the same steps as before, but my Clomid dosage was increased from 50 milligrams to 100. On day 10 I was told that I did in fact have a cyst (not a small follicle as previously determined), but also had a very large follicle that was ready to go. My body was naturally surging on its own, so I triggered that night and came back on day 12 for IUI. This was another unsuccessful cycle. I was then told to come back for round 4 of IUI with another increase of clomid to 150 milligrams. It was at this point that I decided to stop coming back to RMIA. I was initially told by Dr. Jensen that after three failed IUIs, the likelihood that more attempts would work decreased dramatically. So, I was very confused when I received yet another, templated letter from the doctor stating to try again with just an increase in medication. I felt extremely frustrated that in 3 months I hadn't had any face time with my doctor and even after the strategy we had mapped out was complete, I still got no further feedback from her and the reasoning for another attempt was extremely unclear.
Many of the nurses I met with were incredibly kind, warm, and informative about the process. However, many other nurses were cold, direct, and impersonal. Some nurses would ask for me to record my own measurements during ultrasounds which I found to be odd and uncomfortable. Although I had many nurses I truly liked working with, I never felt a connection or close to any one in particular because I saw a different nurse each time I went. I never felt that I had a specific contact to reach out to or that anyone could answer my questions directly.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
This clinic is very clean, quiet and comfortable. There is usually no wait to see a nurse or for treatment and the nurses are fast and reliable. Someone is always available to answer the phone and I felt that communication was very quick. However, this clinic is split between two locations which are extremely far apart from each other. One is in Minneapolis and the other in St. Paul. One would think the two locations would actually be more convenient for those who live on the other side of town. Unfortunately, the two clinics have the same nurses and doctors and the staff is forced to commute back and forth between them. This means that making an appointment for something simple like blood work or an ultrasound is actually difficult if you are not flexible with the hours that you can come in. I found myself driving over an hour just to get a blood draw or to have a baseline ultrasound because one clinic would be closed or the nurse I needed to see was not available at that location on that day. With IUI being extremely dependent on where you are in your cycle, there is not much room for flexibility and driving back and forth while working a full-time job was extremely stressful for me. Furthermore, IUIs were only performed at the clinic farthest away from me on the days I needed to have my procedure so I ended up actually driving to the farther clinic 75% of the time. I initially went with Dr. Jensen because of the two doctors at RMIA, she was the one available in the closer location. But, in the end I drove farther so it was not worth it. Overall, this clinic has the basics you would look for in a fertility clinic, but it's lacking in customer service, patient communication, and personalized treatment.
I only went to Dr. Jensen for IUI. Overall, I felt that her pricing was steep compared to others I had spoken to. Each aspect of treatment was priced differently, but overall for insemination, blood work, ultrasounds, each cycle totaled to about $1,200. Medications were separate from this cost. This is higher than I have heard others have paid ($800), and I did always feel pressured to have blood work done even if I knew I was not pregnant (negative pregnancy test on day 28 of my cycle, or spotting). This cost me almost $300 each time I had blood drawn, and I felt that was a cost that could have been cut if the clinic had personalized my treatment more, or had been more aware of saving their patients money.
+ Read more- Read less

We've really enjoyed having Dr. Jensen as our RE. She is very personable and truly cares about her patients. She has been open and honest about each step in the process - detailing information on infertility, procedures, and the anticipated results... For each of our 4 IUIs, we did 5 days of Clomid 50mg, taking each dose at night in-between days 3-7 and a single insemination taking place around CD 12-15. While we had 3-4 large follicles and good sperm counts, none of these resulted in a positive pregnancy test. In-between IUIs 2 and 3, we had to wait for cysts to go away and I was on birth control for 40 days. After failed IUI 4, we moved to IVF.
For the most part, we've been happy with our clinic [RMIA-Edina] and haven't had many complaints until recently. We had no problems during our IUIs or getting IVF scheduled, but post-egg retrieval communication in trying to schedule our FET has been spotty at best... Because I was in rough shape on the day of egg retrieval (right ovary was in significant pain), they canceled my fresh transfer and put me on birth control. And while there was a delay in getting our PGS results back (over 3 weeks post-egg retrieval), we had to wait another week for our post-IVF consultation and almost had to wait another week to talk to scheduling about our FET.
Dr. Jensen is very personable. She cares about you as a patient and truly wants to help you achieve a successful pregnancy. She takes the time to sit down and have conversations about the intricate details of infertility, procedures, and anticipated results.
For each of our 4 IUIs, we did 5 days of Clomid 50mg, taking each dose at night in-between days 3-7 and a single insemination taking place around CD 12-15. While we had 3-4 large follicles and good sperm counts, none of these resulted in a positive pregnancy test. In-between IUIs 2 and 3, we had to wait for cysts to go away and I was on birth control for 40 days. After failed IUI 4, we moved to IVF. I took birth control for a month before starting stims including a week of Estrace. This was followed by a week of Ganirelix due to high estrogen. I started stims (2 vials of Menopur and 75iu of Follistim daily in the morning). A week in, I dropped Follistim and added Ganirelix at night. For a trigger, I used both a Lupron and an HCG trigger. 48 hours later, 13 eggs were retrieved, 11 mature, 10 fertilized, 4 made it to blast, and 3 were tested normal.
The nursing staff has been hit or miss. Some are great - very thorough, communicative, empathic. And others are just okay.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
For the most part, we've been happy with our clinic and haven't had many complaints until recently. We had no problems during our IUIs or getting IVF scheduled, but post-egg retrieval communication in trying to schedule our FET has been spotty at best.
If embryos are PGS tested as normal, they recommend one embryo transfer.

IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
She was so nice and very informative. She made sure my husband understood every step as he doesn’t know much about medical information, which made him feel very comfortable.... when things didn’t turn out as planned, she personally called me to talk about our negative results and express her feelings of sadness with us.... She is very knowledgeable, but does also ask for advice from her colleagues as well so that we can have the best possible outcome.
Everything with this clinic [Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates] went very smoothly all the way up through our transfer. Scheduling was easy and they often were able to get me in for ultrasounds when we showed up early for our appts. I do wish we had more updates on our embryos as they were growing.... We did a cost warranty program that cost $19,500. It included up to three fresh cycles and unlimited frozen cycles in a year.
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
She was so nice and very informative. She made sure my husband understood every step as he doesn’t know much about medical information, which made him feel very comfortable. She even talked about farming with him! She made sure to listen to and answer every question we had. And when things didn’t turn out as planned, she personally called me to talk about our negative results and express her feelings of sadness with us. She seemed just as disappointed as we were. She is very knowledgeable, but does also ask for advice from her colleagues as well so that we can have the best possible outcome.
Don’t be nervous for your first appointment! Your nerves will be put to rest the minute she walks in the room! She is very nice and has a bubbly personality!
During the first appointment she spent quite a bit of time just getting to know us. She asked about our families, our occupations, and what our hopes were for our family someday. She talked a lot on the phone and in writing with our previous Dr in order to really get to know us and our situation.
I was put on birth control pills until starting the cycle. We did 3 vials of menopur and 275 units of follistim. After our first scan they increased the dosage of follistim to 375 units. There was concern at one point that I had developed a dominant follicle, but they gave me an opportunity to return after the weekend to see how things had progressed. My next scan was great! I cycled for 12 days as I had slow growing follicles. We ended up with 10 eggs and 6 of them were mature. This was the number we were hoping for.
Most of the nurses were great! Very friendly and willing to answer any questions we had.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
Everything with this clinic went very smoothly all the way up through our transfer. Scheduling was easy and they often were able to get me in for ultrasounds when we showed up early for our appts. I do wish we had more updates on our embryos as they were growing.
We did a cost warranty program that cost $19,500. It included up to three fresh cycles and unlimited frozen cycles in a year. Medications and ultrasounds were not included in this price.
Dr. Jensen follows the guidelines with embryo transfer. She did offer elective single embryo transfer if we preferred. We went with whatever recommendations she had based on the guidelines.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other, Unexplained
[Dr. Jani Jensen's] Bedside manner and communication skills EXCELLENT. Warm, positive, super quick to pick up on everything, and great sense of humor. Also I'd consider her the BEST of all the RE's I've seen on our very, very long journey. Wish I had met her first!!!...She was ON IT and put me through the ringer, yes - but I feel was the most accurate and detailed in her diagnosis and proposed treatment of our situation (recurrent loss, unexplained infertility)
Had we done IVF here it Mayo only would accept a small % of our insurance so I think it was going to cost $9500 of $18000 if I recall correctly...Mayo doesn't screw around. They are very, very serious about what they do. It was 150% worth it to drive from MSP to Rochester. You will be grilled, you will be put through the ringer, they will test everything under the sun if deemed at all necessary. It's what we needed with our "unexplained" diagnosis and recurrent losses.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Jensen was wonderful. I wish I had known about her first, instead of weaving my way through multiple other docs (one clinic closed, one clinic really wasn't our jam). She was ON IT and put me through the ringer, yes - but I feel was the most accurate and detailed in her diagnosis and proposed treatment of our situation (recurrent loss, unexplained infertility)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
She will grill you. But it is worth it. She's nice about it and has a great sense of humor - like, you'd be happy to have a margarita with her after this crappy season of your life is over!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
Describe the protocols Jani Jensen used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
We went to Dr. Jensen at Mayo for a 3rd opinion - they were also the only other place who maybe would accept our insurance. She conducted a very detailed history, exam, consultation. She gave us the closest anyone could give us (legally), as to the "odds" of IVF working for our specific situation.
Don't recall; interaction very brief
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
It was a consultation and testing, covered by insurance. Had we done IVF here it Mayo only would accept a small % of our insurance so I think it was going to cost $9500 of $18000 if I recall correctly
Describe Jani Jensen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
+ Read more- Read less

[At Mayo Clinic Fertility] pricing is $9,900 for one round of IVf, which includes everything except for male testing/collection (which I believe was around $300 - $400), embryo storage ($300-$400) and ICSI (around $1,100). It also does not include medications. With my transfer being cancelled, the frozen transfer will be included as well as I had viable embryos.
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
We made the trek from the Twin Cities down to Rochester for all of our appointments based on the quality of care we received from Dr. Jensen. In addition, and although you can see any of the doctors for appointments, I only scheduled my appointments with her, (though for my retrieval I didn't have any choice in the matter as they are on a schedule for retrievals). She is the type of person I respond best to - "Get $(#% Done" - but does so in a way that still comes off as compassionate and caring. I'm still in the middle of my care, but I feel like she is doing everything in her power to make it successful.
Be straight and to the point with your objectives for care and how much (or how little) information you may want from her.
You know when you go out on a first date and you just click with the other person? That was my experience with Dr. Jensen. She took the time to get to know my husband and me, did an amazing job of picking up on we needed from her in terms of type of information and how it was presented, made sure all of our questions were answered, suggested a second opinion from a "baby or your money back" clinic when we finally needed to be moved to IVF, and even took her lunch break to come back and talk to us during one appointment.
4 rounds of letrozole + timed intercourse. 3 were suggested, we did a bonus round because we were going to be out of town and couldn't do an IUI that month. 3 IUIs. We were a good candidate for this being successful given the diagnosis of unexplained infertility, quality of husband's sperm, and our overall age/health. We were given the option of doing IVF right away, but after reviewing the statistics with Dr. Jensen, 3 IUI cycles seemed like the right choice. Currently in the middle our first round of IVF. After 3 IUIs, were were told the chance of it being successful dropped significantly so we should try to be more aggressive. We were given options on meds to help with pricing, so it was a Folistim/Gonal-F + Menopur cycle, with Ganirelix for a few days before the Pregnyl trigger. Egg retrieval - 16 total, 12 mature, 10 fertilized without ICSI. ICSI is standard at Mayo for unexplained infertility, but given the additional cost and the studies I looked at (percentage of live births with/without ICSI for unexplained infertility couples with no MFI) we opted against it. Slightly elevated progesterone on the day of trigger (2.0), so the fresh transfer was cancelled and all embryos were frozen on Day 1. Next step is another consult with Dr. Jensen, then a protocol for a frozen transfer which will be 7-8 weeks out.
The regular ultrasound tech is fantastic, as is the phone staff. Anna was also a stand out for us in terms of care. One nurse had a difficult time with our first IUI, and seemed freaked out when it was not going well so she had someone else come in to finish the job (turned out to be Anna). She didn't have the same problems, which was good.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
On-time appointments and the quality of care from top to bottom are fantastic. Some of the appointments for education can be a bit repetitive and seemingly useless, especially if you are traveling from out of town. That said, I also don't think they did a good job of explaining their ICSI policy to us at any point, which is an area they can improve on.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
Lori Kingsley in the billing office is great, but her co-worker is terrible. Make sure you work with Lori instead. Pricing is $9,900 for one round of IVf, which includes everything except for male testing/collection (which I believe was around $300 - $400), embryo storage ($300-$400) and ICSI (around $1,100). It also does not include medications. With my transfer being cancelled, the frozen transfer will be included as well as I had viable embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Don’t be afraid to tell her [Dr. Jensen] you’ve heard of something or done your own research. She will be honest and let you know if that applies to your situation or not...She took the time to get to know us personally. Asked questions about our lives and remembered things we had talked about at previous appointments. She always had all of our paperwork with her and always was informative and allowed us to ask questions along the way.
The nursing staff [at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates] was excellent! They always called with results promptly and had great bedside manner in delivering the news, good or bad. They answered all questions...The costs were average with what IVF/iui costs in MN...The clinic was well maintained and everyone was really helpful. They don’t have a 24/7 on call nursing line but during the day you can leave a message and someone will call you back within 2 hours. They delivered messages well and gave detailed instructions on next steps.they were all very helpful.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She is warm and caring but also extremely smart and knows her stuff. She was patient as we asked questions. We never felt rushed or as if she didn’t have time for us. She was understanding about how hard this was after my second miscarriage.
Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to tell her you’ve heard of something or done your own research. She will be honest and let you know if that applies to your situation or not.
The nursing staff was excellent! They always called with results promptly and had great bedside manner in delivering the news, good or bad. They answered all questions.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The clinic was well maintained and everyone was really helpful. They don’t have a 24/7 on call nursing line but during the day you can leave a message and someone will call you back within 2 hours. They delivered messages well and gave detailed instructions on next steps.they were all very helpful. Xxzzxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxzxxxxx
The costs were average with what IVF/iui costs in MN. We had excellent insurance overage though so we didn’t have to pay much at all for our 8 rounds of IUI.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
When we met when Jani [Dr. Jensen], she throughly explained herself. She even drew examples for us which was very helpful!...However, I was surprised she wasn’t the one that performed my IUI’s. After my first IUI once I built “relationships” with the nurses, I felt more comfortable with the actual IUI procedure...Each IUI consisted of 5 days of clomid (100mg). Then an ovidril shot 1-2days before procedure. Then a progesterone suppository 2 times a day after the IUI procedure until I go in for blood work
The nursing staff [at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates] has made me feel very comfortable. My only comment would be I wish the experienced nurses could have performed my IUI, but the way my body reacted to the medication would not allow for that to happen...Two of my IUI were changed last minute because of the way my body reacted to medication. Which meant I had to go to Woodbury instead of Edina for the procedure. Both times they couldn’t find my husbands paperwork. Not a big issue to me at all
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Our consultation with Jani was great. However, I was surprised she wasn’t the one that performed my IUI’s. After my first IUI once I built “relationships” with the nurses, I felt more comfortable with the actual IUI procedure.
Be patient - this takes time and the actual plan you set with them may change depending on how your body reacts to the medication.
When we met when Jani, she throughly explained herself. She even drew examples for us which was very helpful!
The nursing staff has made me feel very comfortable. My only comment would be I wish the experienced nurses could have performed my IUI, but the way my body reacted to the medication would not allow for that to happen.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The Edina clinic could use a revamp. The Woodbury clinic seems newer, but the procedure room is very small. However, I do like how they have a tv on the wall to watch my ultrasound procedure. Can’t see anything at the Edina location.
Unfortunately I do not have my bills with me. However, my insurance does assist up to IUI’s.
Not at this time.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Jensen went above and beyond when the actual IUI procedure didn't go as planned....Dr. Jensen did a mock IUI to be sure it was possible before we started treatment. I am a cervical cancer survivor so there is a lot of damage to the little cervix that I have left. When the nurses couldn't perform the IUI, Dr. Jensen performed it and all of the cycles after that....50 mg Clomid, 250 ug/0.5 ml ovidrel, 200 mg progesterone 2 x daily... all 3 rounds
The clinic [RMIA] has an easy, fast system for IUI that allows for cycles while working your job without having to take a lot of time off. The clinic offers earlier hours for ultrasounds, which allowed be to stop on my way to work....The nursing staff tried everything to get the IUI to go perfectly. When it didn't work well, they quickly made alternative plans to ensure we didn't waste money on a cancelled IUI....It was just under $6,000 for 3 rounds of IUI
I can't think of anything.
50 mg Clomid, 250 ug/0.5 ml ovidrel, 200 mg progesterone 2 x daily... all 3 rounds... all BFN
The nursing staff tried everything to get the IUI to go perfectly. When it didn't work well, they quickly made alternative plans to ensure we didn't waste money on a cancelled IUI. The problems that were encountered were due to the damage caused by my cancer treatments.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The clinic has an easy, fast system for IUI that allows for cycles while working your job without having to take a lot of time off. The clinic offers earlier hours for ultrasounds, which allowed be to stop on my way to work.
It was just under $6,000 for 3 rounds of IUI with no coverage under insurance.
We are hoping to do IVF this year. My doctor had a strong opinion about limiting the number of embryos due to my extremely shortened cervix, which agrees with my oncologist and MFMs.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Jensen went above and beyond to get us pregnant. When the other doctors suggested a sperm donor she went to the urologist to convince him to take our case. For that reason alone we have our babies created with my husbands sperm.... Dr. Jensen is friendly and compassionate. She is exactly the type of doctor you need while going through infertility. She will go above and beyond to get you the results you are seeking. I worked with many doctors while at Mayo and she was the one who really made a difference.
At times communication seemed to be an issue. We had billing problems that took some effort to get them to fix but with work they were fixed. Always advocate for yourself and watch the bills. Don’t be afraid to get your questions answered. We are paying for a service.... They [Mayo Clinic Nurses] were always very nice but often a little disorganized.... A test wasn’t ordered so I had to make an additional trip. They were apologetic and it wasn’t a big deal.
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
Be open and honest. Don’t hold back anything. Give her the chance to answer your questions.
We used an antagonist protocol. The first cycle I did 150 ml of gonal-f and 50 ml of menopur and I overstimulated. The second cycle we started out with less GF and a lupron trigger and it was a perfect retrieval.
They were always very nice but often a little disorganized.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
The consult was $350, the mock transfer and sono was $2k and the Ivf package was around $8700.
Mayo encourages eSET but are open to transferring two of you are aware of all risks.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?

PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Jensen] was very kind and understanding. She made us feel very comfortable and listened.... She was so kind, respectful and supportive. We always felt like she had our best interest at heart. After 3 IUI procedures, she made it clear that she would continue them if we wanted, but that it probably wasn't the best course to take. We ended up taking some time away to think things through and ended up getting pregnant!... We tried Clomid on its own for a few cycles and then 3 IUI procedures.
It was easy to set up appointments. They have high quality employees. They were helpful in finding out how much procedures would cost ahead of time. There is a tendency to start to feel like just a number at Mayo since it is such a huge place....They were helpful and had compassion.... She [Dr. Jensen] was so kind, respectful and supportive. We always felt like she had our best interest at heart. After 3 IUI procedures, she made it clear that she would continue them if we wanted
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
Be honest and forthcoming with all of your information. It makes it much easier to get the best treatment possible.
She was very kind and understanding. She made us feel very comfortable and listened.
We tried Clomid on its own for a few cycles and then 3 IUI procedures.
They were helpful and had compassion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
We had insurance that covered our treatments.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
we did blood work [with Dr. Jani Jensen] to check on clotting disorder and vitamin d...scar tissue was found again so we did a hysteroscopy...She is very open and honest but makes you feel important and that you are not just a pay check. She is willing to try a new treatment regimen example after our hysteroscopy since it was my second one, first one with her I asked about the hormone therapy she said because this being my second one she would do it even though nothing has been proven it helping 100% but that is was worth a shot since the first time we did not do hormone therapy and low and behold I believe it helped
For the little bit we have had to work with them [nurses at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates] they have been good always email or call back promptly which is appreciated...There is a person for every job which is nice but can be stressful the nurse can’t just schedule me an appointment...I have to wait a call by the scheduling coordinator to schedule that part I wish was a little different but other than that there great and have a nice flow to their practice.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She is very open and honest but makes you feel important and that you are not just a pay check. She is willing to try a new treatment regimen example after our hysteroscopy since it was my second one, first one with her I asked about the hormone therapy she said because this being my second one she would do it even though nothing has been proven it helping 100% but that is was worth a shot since the first time we did not do hormone therapy and low and behold I believe it helped as we had a clear ultrasound a month after surgery and the hormone therapy. She is very considerate that we drive three hours to see her for appointments and when we debated on doing another iui after switching to her from our other doctor she was honest that it would not be worth our time or money to drive all the way up for a small chance it may work if we had a place closer to home to do iui she encouraged that my husband and I go there if that was on our hearts but if we wanted to do the iui with her she was still have to do it justadr sure we understood the small percent it would be successful after 3 failed attempts. we were truly amazed and that was the first moment we felt she truly cared for us as people not as a paycheck. She always answers all my emails promptly and the appointments have been scheduled in a reasonable amount of time. She is very knowledgeable and is always willing to learn new treatment protocols and educate her self on things that are new in infertility research. she flew across state for one day to a conference to hear them talk about a new ivf technique even though she felt it would not be as productive she wanted to be able to fully educate patients on her reasons why they would or wouldn’t do it. She was open about her own life when asked and that helped to get to know her on a personal level. This is my first time in a private practice and I love it. Dr jensen and her team at RMIA are amazing and we fully appreciate their help and knowledge and have full confidence they will help us have a healthy baby.
Be open on what you want and don’t stop advocating for yourself.
Her bed aide manner was amazing she told me how happy she was to help me she listened to me and informed me well was always positive and helpful!
At this point we have not done a treatment regimen yet we switched to her from our other re in nov 2018. we did some work ups after our consult we did blood work to check on clotting disorder and vitamin d, we did an sis ultrasound where scar tissue was found again so we did a hysteroscopy in Jan 2019 to remove scar tissue and hormone therapy we went back for another sis ultrasound in feb 2019 and agreed we’d try on our own for 6 months if we are not successful we would move forward with IVF.
For the little bit we have had to work with them they have been good always email or call back promptly which is appreciated.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
There is a person for every job which is nice but can be stressful the nurse can’t just schedule me an appointment t I have to wait a call by the scheduling coordinator to schedule that part I wish was a little different but other than that there great and have a nice flow to their practice.
So far our insurance has covered surgery and initial things but if we move forward to ivf or were to do an iui our insurance would cover nothing!

PCOS, Other
She [Dr. Jensen] didn’t seem rushed and spent time answering all of our questions. She also spent the time to tell us a little bit about herself and her family which is nice and something you usually don’t get from a doctor. She made us feel hopeful which we didn’t get from our other clinic... The second we met Jani Jenson we felt that we made the right decision. We are currently only on our first round of iui with this clinic, but already feel so comfortable and confident that we will get a successful outcome.
The clinic [RMIA] is very good at communication and the nurses will always call you back in a timely manner to answer any questions. The only weakness I would have is that the billing can be confusing and I have been double charged for blood tests, which did get reversed right away when I called...I believe my first iui will be around $2000 out of pocket...She [Dr. Jensen] didn’t seem rushed and spent time answering all of our questions.
PCOS, Other
We came to RMIA because we didn’t feel like we were getting the best care from our previous clinic in regards to fertility treatments. The second we met Jani Jenson we felt that we made the right decision. We are currently only on our first round of iui with this clinic, but already feel so comfortable and confident that we will get a successful outcome. She took the time to answer the many questions we had and we never felt like it was rushed or just a number. She even talked to us a little bit about her family which is something I really appreciate coming from a doctor. She is so kind and makes sure we know exactly what the plan is going forward.
She didn’t seem rushed and spent time answering all of our questions. She also spent the time to tell us a little bit about herself and her family which is nice and something you usually don’t get from a doctor. She made us feel hopeful which we didn’t get from our other clinic.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The clinic is very good at communication and the nurses will always call you back in a timely manner to answer any questions. The only weakness I would have is that the billing can be confusing and I have been double charged for blood tests, which did get reversed right away when I called.
I believe my first iui will be around $2000 out of pocket