Mayo Clinic

200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905
2101 Woodwinds Drive
Woodbury, MN 55125
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jani Jensen to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mayo Clinic to a friend?
We've really enjoyed having Dr. Jensen as our RE. She is very personable and truly cares about her patients. She has been open and honest about each step in the process - detailing information on infertility, procedures, and the anticipated results... For each of our 4 IUIs, we did 5 days of Clomid 50mg, taking each dose at night in-between days 3-7 and a single insemination taking place around CD 12-15. While we had 3-4 large follicles and good sperm counts, none of these resulted in a positive pregnancy test. In-between IUIs 2 and 3, we had to wait for cysts to go away and I was on birth control for 40 days. After failed IUI 4, we moved to IVF.
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Dr. Jensen is very personable. She cares about you as a patient and truly wants to help you achieve a successful pregnancy. She takes the time to sit down and have conversations about the intricate details of infertility, procedures, and anticipated results.
Describe the protocols Jani Jensen used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates and their degree of success.
For each of our 4 IUIs, we did 5 days of Clomid 50mg, taking each dose at night in-between days 3-7 and a single insemination taking place around CD 12-15. While we had 3-4 large follicles and good sperm counts, none of these resulted in a positive pregnancy test. In-between IUIs 2 and 3, we had to wait for cysts to go away and I was on birth control for 40 days. After failed IUI 4, we moved to IVF. I took birth control for a month before starting stims including a week of Estrace. This was followed by a week of Ganirelix due to high estrogen. I started stims (2 vials of Menopur and 75iu of Follistim daily in the morning). A week in, I dropped Follistim and added Ganirelix at night. For a trigger, I used both a Lupron and an HCG trigger. 48 hours later, 13 eggs were retrieved, 11 mature, 10 fertilized, 4 made it to blast, and 3 were tested normal.
The nursing staff has been hit or miss. Some are great - very thorough, communicative, empathic. And others are just okay.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
For the most part, we've been happy with our clinic and haven't had many complaints until recently. We had no problems during our IUIs or getting IVF scheduled, but post-egg retrieval communication in trying to schedule our FET has been spotty at best.
Describe Jani Jensen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
If embryos are PGS tested as normal, they recommend one embryo transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Edina
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
She was so nice and very informative. She made sure my husband understood every step as he doesn’t know much about medical information, which made him feel very comfortable.... when things didn’t turn out as planned, she personally called me to talk about our negative results and express her feelings of sadness with us.... She is very knowledgeable, but does also ask for advice from her colleagues as well so that we can have the best possible outcome.
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
She was so nice and very informative. She made sure my husband understood every step as he doesn’t know much about medical information, which made him feel very comfortable. She even talked about farming with him! She made sure to listen to and answer every question we had. And when things didn’t turn out as planned, she personally called me to talk about our negative results and express her feelings of sadness with us. She seemed just as disappointed as we were. She is very knowledgeable, but does also ask for advice from her colleagues as well so that we can have the best possible outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Don’t be nervous for your first appointment! Your nerves will be put to rest the minute she walks in the room! She is very nice and has a bubbly personality!
During the first appointment she spent quite a bit of time just getting to know us. She asked about our families, our occupations, and what our hopes were for our family someday. She talked a lot on the phone and in writing with our previous Dr in order to really get to know us and our situation.
I was put on birth control pills until starting the cycle. We did 3 vials of menopur and 275 units of follistim. After our first scan they increased the dosage of follistim to 375 units. There was concern at one point that I had developed a dominant follicle, but they gave me an opportunity to return after the weekend to see how things had progressed. My next scan was great! I cycled for 12 days as I had slow growing follicles. We ended up with 10 eggs and 6 of them were mature. This was the number we were hoping for.
Most of the nurses were great! Very friendly and willing to answer any questions we had.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
Everything with this clinic went very smoothly all the way up through our transfer. Scheduling was easy and they often were able to get me in for ultrasounds when we showed up early for our appts. I do wish we had more updates on our embryos as they were growing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
We did a cost warranty program that cost $19,500. It included up to three fresh cycles and unlimited frozen cycles in a year. Medications and ultrasounds were not included in this price.
Dr. Jensen follows the guidelines with embryo transfer. She did offer elective single embryo transfer if we preferred. We went with whatever recommendations she had based on the guidelines.
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Jensen has had a positive attitude during our experience. While I was in the stimulation phase it was very slow, but she gave me more time and medicine and I was able to grow follicles and have some eggs retrieved. During our first meeting she let me know I had a good supply of eggs, though I was somewhat disappointed when only 8 were retrieved and 6 matured.... I am diagnosed with PCOS, so hyper stimulation is a concern usually...for me, it ended up not being an issue.
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Jensen has had a positive attitude during our experience. While I was in the stimulation phase it was very slow, but she gave me more time and medicine and I was able to grow follicles and have some eggs retrieved. During our first meeting she let me know I had a good supply of eggs, though I was somewhat disappointed when only 8 were retrieved and 6 matured. We ended up not being able to freeze 4 of them and implanted 2. Still waiting to see if that takes.
Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for more explanation. She was open to our questions and did not seem burden by us at all.
She took time to get to know us. She was open to sharing a little bit about herself as well. I felt like she was rooting for us during the process, and still is.
When we started stimulation we had a low amount of Follistim. I was a "slow grower" and the Follistim needed to be increased quite a bit. If I do need to start another cycle, I am hopeful that the Follistim dose will start out higher so there will be less time spent trying to stimulate. I am diagnosed with PCOS, so hyper stimulation is a concern usually...for me, it ended up not being an issue.
When I went for my retrieval the nurse had to try 3 times to get my IV in. She ended up having someone else come and do it which was done on the first try. The nurse was very sorry for not being able to do so. Nursing staff seemed to care about my treatment.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The clinic does a nice job of providing updated calendars for treatment. We called the office at times to get input or ask questions of nurses. Some were very helpful, though one told my husband she was very busy with other calls. I don't think that is something she needed to let me husband know. She could have been a little more compassionate to our concerns. Also, it was hard to get an email from the embryologist letting us know that our other 4 embryos were not good enough to freeze. I would have appreciated a phone call so that we could ask questions.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
Monitoring appointments were made for me at Mankato Clinic.
We opted for the warranty program. The program cost $32,000. The first office visit and sonohystogram was $1950. The medications and ultrasounds were purchased and done elsewhere. Though we did purchase the first round of Menopur for $2900 at RMIA.
Dr. Jensen was very honest with us that we should transfer 2 embryos if possible due to my age (39). We ended up with one embryo in the correct stage for transfer and one that was almost there. We decided to transfer both and are awaiting to see if it was successful.
Woodbury
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
We made the trek from the Twin Cities down to Rochester for all of our appointments based on the quality of care we received from Dr. Jensen. In addition, and although you can see any of the doctors for appointments, I only scheduled my appointments with her, (though for my retrieval I didn't have any choice in the matter as they are on a schedule for retrievals). She is the type of person I respond best to - "Get $(#% Done" - but does so in a way that still comes off as compassionate and caring. I'm still in the middle of my care, but I feel like she is doing everything in her power to make it successful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
Be straight and to the point with your objectives for care and how much (or how little) information you may want from her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
You know when you go out on a first date and you just click with the other person? That was my experience with Dr. Jensen. She took the time to get to know my husband and me, did an amazing job of picking up on we needed from her in terms of type of information and how it was presented, made sure all of our questions were answered, suggested a second opinion from a "baby or your money back" clinic when we finally needed to be moved to IVF, and even took her lunch break to come back and talk to us during one appointment.
Describe the protocols Jani Jensen used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
4 rounds of letrozole + timed intercourse. 3 were suggested, we did a bonus round because we were going to be out of town and couldn't do an IUI that month. 3 IUIs. We were a good candidate for this being successful given the diagnosis of unexplained infertility, quality of husband's sperm, and our overall age/health. We were given the option of doing IVF right away, but after reviewing the statistics with Dr. Jensen, 3 IUI cycles seemed like the right choice. Currently in the middle our first round of IVF. After 3 IUIs, were were told the chance of it being successful dropped significantly so we should try to be more aggressive. We were given options on meds to help with pricing, so it was a Folistim/Gonal-F + Menopur cycle, with Ganirelix for a few days before the Pregnyl trigger. Egg retrieval - 16 total, 12 mature, 10 fertilized without ICSI. ICSI is standard at Mayo for unexplained infertility, but given the additional cost and the studies I looked at (percentage of live births with/without ICSI for unexplained infertility couples with no MFI) we opted against it. Slightly elevated progesterone on the day of trigger (2.0), so the fresh transfer was cancelled and all embryos were frozen on Day 1. Next step is another consult with Dr. Jensen, then a protocol for a frozen transfer which will be 7-8 weeks out.
The regular ultrasound tech is fantastic, as is the phone staff. Anna was also a stand out for us in terms of care. One nurse had a difficult time with our first IUI, and seemed freaked out when it was not going well so she had someone else come in to finish the job (turned out to be Anna). She didn't have the same problems, which was good.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
On-time appointments and the quality of care from top to bottom are fantastic. Some of the appointments for education can be a bit repetitive and seemingly useless, especially if you are traveling from out of town. That said, I also don't think they did a good job of explaining their ICSI policy to us at any point, which is an area they can improve on.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
Lori Kingsley in the billing office is great, but her co-worker is terrible. Make sure you work with Lori instead. Pricing is $9,900 for one round of IVf, which includes everything except for male testing/collection (which I believe was around $300 - $400), embryo storage ($300-$400) and ICSI (around $1,100). It also does not include medications. With my transfer being cancelled, the frozen transfer will be included as well as I had viable embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
Mayo Clinic
Rochester
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Don’t be afraid to tell her [Dr. Jensen] you’ve heard of something or done your own research. She will be honest and let you know if that applies to your situation or not...She took the time to get to know us personally. Asked questions about our lives and remembered things we had talked about at previous appointments. She always had all of our paperwork with her and always was informative and allowed us to ask questions along the way.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She is warm and caring but also extremely smart and knows her stuff. She was patient as we asked questions. We never felt rushed or as if she didn’t have time for us. She was understanding about how hard this was after my second miscarriage.
Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to tell her you’ve heard of something or done your own research. She will be honest and let you know if that applies to your situation or not.
The nursing staff was excellent! They always called with results promptly and had great bedside manner in delivering the news, good or bad. They answered all questions.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The clinic was well maintained and everyone was really helpful. They don’t have a 24/7 on call nursing line but during the day you can leave a message and someone will call you back within 2 hours. They delivered messages well and gave detailed instructions on next steps.they were all very helpful. Xxzzxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxzxxxxx
The costs were average with what IVF/iui costs in MN. We had excellent insurance overage though so we didn’t have to pay much at all for our 8 rounds of IUI.
Woodbury
Dr. Jensen went above and beyond when the actual IUI procedure didn't go as planned....Dr. Jensen did a mock IUI to be sure it was possible before we started treatment. I am a cervical cancer survivor so there is a lot of damage to the little cervix that I have left. When the nurses couldn't perform the IUI, Dr. Jensen performed it and all of the cycles after that....50 mg Clomid, 250 ug/0.5 ml ovidrel, 200 mg progesterone 2 x daily... all 3 rounds
I can't think of anything.
50 mg Clomid, 250 ug/0.5 ml ovidrel, 200 mg progesterone 2 x daily... all 3 rounds... all BFN
The nursing staff tried everything to get the IUI to go perfectly. When it didn't work well, they quickly made alternative plans to ensure we didn't waste money on a cancelled IUI. The problems that were encountered were due to the damage caused by my cancer treatments.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The clinic has an easy, fast system for IUI that allows for cycles while working your job without having to take a lot of time off. The clinic offers earlier hours for ultrasounds, which allowed be to stop on my way to work.
It was just under $6,000 for 3 rounds of IUI with no coverage under insurance.
We are hoping to do IVF this year. My doctor had a strong opinion about limiting the number of embryos due to my extremely shortened cervix, which agrees with my oncologist and MFMs.