Medical SchoolU. of Wisconsin
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905
2101 Woodwinds Drive
Woodbury, MN 55125
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jani Jensen to a friend?

6.1

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mayo Clinic to a friend?
Jani Jensen is a compassionate and intelligent doctor. She was open with us after each procedure did not go as planned, or failed completely....The first 2 protocols used were the usual. I did not respond well to stims, and they needed to be increased greatly. After my second cycle it was noted that I have poor egg quality and another protocol was tried to increase the quality of my eggs. I cannot recall the name. Though it required more prep time. That cycle caused more eggs to be retrieved, but I got OHSS and my lining was not ready so we have to do a freeze all on day one in November, 2018 and wait to transfer January, 2019. Sadly, this did not seem to increase the quality of the eggs and we lost the majority of our embryos. None making it to freeze, outside of the 1-day freeze all that was done in November.
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Jani Jensen is a compassionate and intelligent doctor. She was open with us after each procedure did not go as planned, or failed completely. Having done 3 cycles of IVF without good results, I wish that the clinic would be more upfront ahead of time on some of the things that could go wrong. I appreciate the optimism, but it was so much more difficult when things did not go as planned.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Ask questions, she will tell you the answers. She will not make you feel uncomfortable for asking. She is caring.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Jani acknowledged our pain when the cycles failed. She spoke with us about our treatments, but also asked about our lives in general.
Describe the protocols Jani Jensen used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates and their degree of success.
We communicated with several different nurses. At times, some not knowing the full story about our procedures and even put wrong information on our medication protocol. If I would not have questioned the nurses, I would have taken medications that were not supposed to have been prescribed to me for some cycles. One of the nurses apologized saying that the information is auto-populated and they forgot to delete it when giving me my medication schedule. That caused me undue stress when this procedure is already so stressful.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The clinic is cleanly and organized. The waiting rooms prior to the egg retrieval were quite small and separated by curtains only. This made it quite easy to hear the conversations of other patients and doctors. It was hard to hear other patients come out of egg retrieval and get more eggs then we did. I wish that this area would be more personal and private.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
We did not do monitoring at this clinic as we live 1.5 hours from them. We did them at our local clinic instead and had results faxed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
We did the 3 cycle IVF warranty program which was approximately $30,000 for procedures only.
Describe Jani Jensen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
Our doctor, due to my age (just turned 40) elected to transfer multiple embryos, which is something we were comfortable with doing.
Woodbury

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jani Jensen at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.

As treatment progressed, I never heard from Dr. Jensen (only via email in a templated letter that stated the same thing every cycle). I felt after each IUI I was never given feedback about my progress or my cycle and reasoning for increasing my clomid dosage. I felt like just another person on her list of patients to review each month and that my treatment was not at all tailored to my personal situation.
European, Latino
After my initial consultation with Dr. Jensen I felt confident that she knew what she was doing and that there was a real chance that IUI would work for us. However, as treatment progressed, I never heard from Dr. Jensen (only via email in a templated letter that stated the same thing every cycle). I felt after each IUI I was never given feedback about my progress or my cycle and reasoning for increasing my clomid dosage. I felt like just another person on her list of patients to review each month and that my treatment was not at all tailored to my personal situation.
Ask every single question you can think of at your consultation. This is literally the only time you will ever have a conversation with your actual doctor so even small questions like diet, exercise, be sure to ask her up front because she will not be available to meet with you after your consultation. Be prepared to work only with your nurses and to be in charge of your own treatment. Ask LOTS of questions every time you visit the clinic and make sure you understand what is happening each time you go. Barely any information is ever given at appointments so if you are unsure of something you need to be sure you ask -- the nurses will not provide you with any more than the bare minimum unless you ask. This clinic loves to do a blood draw even if you have a negative pregnancy test so be prepared to pay for your beta test every, single, cycle regardless of the outcome.
When I came to the clinic, I saw a new nurse every time I was there. I never had a chance to build a relationship with any person that made me feel as though my treatment was customized or personal in any way. It felt like a cattle call -- like I was a room of many women just going through the motions of the same procedures with no real reasoning or feedback throughout treatment.
When I met with Dr. Jensen, I had already had all of the basic workup done for my infertility diagnosis by my OB-GYN. My blood work, HSG, pap results, and even my husband's semen analysis had all been provided to Dr. Jensen prior to my appointment and all results led to an unexplained infertility diagnosis. While meeting with her, I asked if further testing could be done or would be required, and I was told that no further testing would be needed and that moving on to treatment was my best option as I had a 3% chance of conceiving naturally each month at this point. The overall strategy from Dr. Jensen was to try three medicated cycles of IUI with HCG Trigger shot before moving on to IVF. The first cycle, I was prescribed 50 milligrams of Clomid for 5 days beginning on cycle day 5, with ultrasound on cycle day 10. After analyzing the size of my two follicles, I was then instructed to use the trigger shot on day 13 and come back for IUI on day 14. This cycle was unsuccessful and on day 28 I came in for a beta test to confirm negative results. I was told everything looked normal and to try again for IUI #2. The next cycle I was told to follow the same steps as the previous cycle. When I came in for my baseline ultrasound on day 10, I was told that I had one cyst and one follicle that was almost ready. I did the trigger shot on day 13 and came in day 14 for IUI when I was told the cyst was actually just a small follicle that never matured fully but that the other follicle was adequate in size. This was another unsuccessful cycle and my beta test on day 28 confirmed the negative results. The next cycle I was told to follow the same steps as before, but my Clomid dosage was increased from 50 milligrams to 100. On day 10 I was told that I did in fact have a cyst (not a small follicle as previously determined), but also had a very large follicle that was ready to go. My body was naturally surging on its own, so I triggered that night and came back on day 12 for IUI. This was another unsuccessful cycle. I was then told to come back for round 4 of IUI with another increase of clomid to 150 milligrams. It was at this point that I decided to stop coming back to RMIA. I was initially told by Dr. Jensen that after three failed IUIs, the likelihood that more attempts would work decreased dramatically. So, I was very confused when I received yet another, templated letter from the doctor stating to try again with just an increase in medication. I felt extremely frustrated that in 3 months I hadn't had any face time with my doctor and even after the strategy we had mapped out was complete, I still got no further feedback from her and the reasoning for another attempt was extremely unclear.
Many of the nurses I met with were incredibly kind, warm, and informative about the process. However, many other nurses were cold, direct, and impersonal. Some nurses would ask for me to record my own measurements during ultrasounds which I found to be odd and uncomfortable. Although I had many nurses I truly liked working with, I never felt a connection or close to any one in particular because I saw a different nurse each time I went. I never felt that I had a specific contact to reach out to or that anyone could answer my questions directly.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
This clinic is very clean, quiet and comfortable. There is usually no wait to see a nurse or for treatment and the nurses are fast and reliable. Someone is always available to answer the phone and I felt that communication was very quick. However, this clinic is split between two locations which are extremely far apart from each other. One is in Minneapolis and the other in St. Paul. One would think the two locations would actually be more convenient for those who live on the other side of town. Unfortunately, the two clinics have the same nurses and doctors and the staff is forced to commute back and forth between them. This means that making an appointment for something simple like blood work or an ultrasound is actually difficult if you are not flexible with the hours that you can come in. I found myself driving over an hour just to get a blood draw or to have a baseline ultrasound because one clinic would be closed or the nurse I needed to see was not available at that location on that day. With IUI being extremely dependent on where you are in your cycle, there is not much room for flexibility and driving back and forth while working a full-time job was extremely stressful for me. Furthermore, IUIs were only performed at the clinic farthest away from me on the days I needed to have my procedure so I ended up actually driving to the farther clinic 75% of the time. I initially went with Dr. Jensen because of the two doctors at RMIA, she was the one available in the closer location. But, in the end I drove farther so it was not worth it. Overall, this clinic has the basics you would look for in a fertility clinic, but it's lacking in customer service, patient communication, and personalized treatment.
I only went to Dr. Jensen for IUI. Overall, I felt that her pricing was steep compared to others I had spoken to. Each aspect of treatment was priced differently, but overall for insemination, blood work, ultrasounds, each cycle totaled to about $1,200. Medications were separate from this cost. This is higher than I have heard others have paid ($800), and I did always feel pressured to have blood work done even if I knew I was not pregnant (negative pregnancy test on day 28 of my cycle, or spotting). This cost me almost $300 each time I had blood drawn, and I felt that was a cost that could have been cut if the clinic had personalized my treatment more, or had been more aware of saving their patients money.
Edina

We've really enjoyed having Dr. Jensen as our RE. She is very personable and truly cares about her patients. She has been open and honest about each step in the process - detailing information on infertility, procedures, and the anticipated results... For each of our 4 IUIs, we did 5 days of Clomid 50mg, taking each dose at night in-between days 3-7 and a single insemination taking place around CD 12-15. While we had 3-4 large follicles and good sperm counts, none of these resulted in a positive pregnancy test. In-between IUIs 2 and 3, we had to wait for cysts to go away and I was on birth control for 40 days. After failed IUI 4, we moved to IVF.
Dr. Jensen is very personable. She cares about you as a patient and truly wants to help you achieve a successful pregnancy. She takes the time to sit down and have conversations about the intricate details of infertility, procedures, and anticipated results.
For each of our 4 IUIs, we did 5 days of Clomid 50mg, taking each dose at night in-between days 3-7 and a single insemination taking place around CD 12-15. While we had 3-4 large follicles and good sperm counts, none of these resulted in a positive pregnancy test. In-between IUIs 2 and 3, we had to wait for cysts to go away and I was on birth control for 40 days. After failed IUI 4, we moved to IVF. I took birth control for a month before starting stims including a week of Estrace. This was followed by a week of Ganirelix due to high estrogen. I started stims (2 vials of Menopur and 75iu of Follistim daily in the morning). A week in, I dropped Follistim and added Ganirelix at night. For a trigger, I used both a Lupron and an HCG trigger. 48 hours later, 13 eggs were retrieved, 11 mature, 10 fertilized, 4 made it to blast, and 3 were tested normal.
The nursing staff has been hit or miss. Some are great - very thorough, communicative, empathic. And others are just okay.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
For the most part, we've been happy with our clinic and haven't had many complaints until recently. We had no problems during our IUIs or getting IVF scheduled, but post-egg retrieval communication in trying to schedule our FET has been spotty at best.
If embryos are PGS tested as normal, they recommend one embryo transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Edina

IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
She was so nice and very informative. She made sure my husband understood every step as he doesn’t know much about medical information, which made him feel very comfortable.... when things didn’t turn out as planned, she personally called me to talk about our negative results and express her feelings of sadness with us.... She is very knowledgeable, but does also ask for advice from her colleagues as well so that we can have the best possible outcome.
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
She was so nice and very informative. She made sure my husband understood every step as he doesn’t know much about medical information, which made him feel very comfortable. She even talked about farming with him! She made sure to listen to and answer every question we had. And when things didn’t turn out as planned, she personally called me to talk about our negative results and express her feelings of sadness with us. She seemed just as disappointed as we were. She is very knowledgeable, but does also ask for advice from her colleagues as well so that we can have the best possible outcome.
Don’t be nervous for your first appointment! Your nerves will be put to rest the minute she walks in the room! She is very nice and has a bubbly personality!
During the first appointment she spent quite a bit of time just getting to know us. She asked about our families, our occupations, and what our hopes were for our family someday. She talked a lot on the phone and in writing with our previous Dr in order to really get to know us and our situation.
I was put on birth control pills until starting the cycle. We did 3 vials of menopur and 275 units of follistim. After our first scan they increased the dosage of follistim to 375 units. There was concern at one point that I had developed a dominant follicle, but they gave me an opportunity to return after the weekend to see how things had progressed. My next scan was great! I cycled for 12 days as I had slow growing follicles. We ended up with 10 eggs and 6 of them were mature. This was the number we were hoping for.
Most of the nurses were great! Very friendly and willing to answer any questions we had.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
Everything with this clinic went very smoothly all the way up through our transfer. Scheduling was easy and they often were able to get me in for ultrasounds when we showed up early for our appts. I do wish we had more updates on our embryos as they were growing.
We did a cost warranty program that cost $19,500. It included up to three fresh cycles and unlimited frozen cycles in a year. Medications and ultrasounds were not included in this price.
Dr. Jensen follows the guidelines with embryo transfer. She did offer elective single embryo transfer if we preferred. We went with whatever recommendations she had based on the guidelines.
Woodbury

How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
We made the trek from the Twin Cities down to Rochester for all of our appointments based on the quality of care we received from Dr. Jensen. In addition, and although you can see any of the doctors for appointments, I only scheduled my appointments with her, (though for my retrieval I didn't have any choice in the matter as they are on a schedule for retrievals). She is the type of person I respond best to - "Get $(#% Done" - but does so in a way that still comes off as compassionate and caring. I'm still in the middle of my care, but I feel like she is doing everything in her power to make it successful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
Be straight and to the point with your objectives for care and how much (or how little) information you may want from her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
You know when you go out on a first date and you just click with the other person? That was my experience with Dr. Jensen. She took the time to get to know my husband and me, did an amazing job of picking up on we needed from her in terms of type of information and how it was presented, made sure all of our questions were answered, suggested a second opinion from a "baby or your money back" clinic when we finally needed to be moved to IVF, and even took her lunch break to come back and talk to us during one appointment.
Describe the protocols Jani Jensen used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
4 rounds of letrozole + timed intercourse. 3 were suggested, we did a bonus round because we were going to be out of town and couldn't do an IUI that month. 3 IUIs. We were a good candidate for this being successful given the diagnosis of unexplained infertility, quality of husband's sperm, and our overall age/health. We were given the option of doing IVF right away, but after reviewing the statistics with Dr. Jensen, 3 IUI cycles seemed like the right choice. Currently in the middle our first round of IVF. After 3 IUIs, were were told the chance of it being successful dropped significantly so we should try to be more aggressive. We were given options on meds to help with pricing, so it was a Folistim/Gonal-F + Menopur cycle, with Ganirelix for a few days before the Pregnyl trigger. Egg retrieval - 16 total, 12 mature, 10 fertilized without ICSI. ICSI is standard at Mayo for unexplained infertility, but given the additional cost and the studies I looked at (percentage of live births with/without ICSI for unexplained infertility couples with no MFI) we opted against it. Slightly elevated progesterone on the day of trigger (2.0), so the fresh transfer was cancelled and all embryos were frozen on Day 1. Next step is another consult with Dr. Jensen, then a protocol for a frozen transfer which will be 7-8 weeks out.
The regular ultrasound tech is fantastic, as is the phone staff. Anna was also a stand out for us in terms of care. One nurse had a difficult time with our first IUI, and seemed freaked out when it was not going well so she had someone else come in to finish the job (turned out to be Anna). She didn't have the same problems, which was good.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
On-time appointments and the quality of care from top to bottom are fantastic. Some of the appointments for education can be a bit repetitive and seemingly useless, especially if you are traveling from out of town. That said, I also don't think they did a good job of explaining their ICSI policy to us at any point, which is an area they can improve on.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
Lori Kingsley in the billing office is great, but her co-worker is terrible. Make sure you work with Lori instead. Pricing is $9,900 for one round of IVf, which includes everything except for male testing/collection (which I believe was around $300 - $400), embryo storage ($300-$400) and ICSI (around $1,100). It also does not include medications. With my transfer being cancelled, the frozen transfer will be included as well as I had viable embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Don’t be afraid to tell her [Dr. Jensen] you’ve heard of something or done your own research. She will be honest and let you know if that applies to your situation or not...She took the time to get to know us personally. Asked questions about our lives and remembered things we had talked about at previous appointments. She always had all of our paperwork with her and always was informative and allowed us to ask questions along the way.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She is warm and caring but also extremely smart and knows her stuff. She was patient as we asked questions. We never felt rushed or as if she didn’t have time for us. She was understanding about how hard this was after my second miscarriage.
Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to tell her you’ve heard of something or done your own research. She will be honest and let you know if that applies to your situation or not.
The nursing staff was excellent! They always called with results promptly and had great bedside manner in delivering the news, good or bad. They answered all questions.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The clinic was well maintained and everyone was really helpful. They don’t have a 24/7 on call nursing line but during the day you can leave a message and someone will call you back within 2 hours. They delivered messages well and gave detailed instructions on next steps.they were all very helpful. Xxzzxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxzxxxxx
The costs were average with what IVF/iui costs in MN. We had excellent insurance overage though so we didn’t have to pay much at all for our 8 rounds of IUI.
Woodbury
Dr. Jensen went above and beyond when the actual IUI procedure didn't go as planned....Dr. Jensen did a mock IUI to be sure it was possible before we started treatment. I am a cervical cancer survivor so there is a lot of damage to the little cervix that I have left. When the nurses couldn't perform the IUI, Dr. Jensen performed it and all of the cycles after that....50 mg Clomid, 250 ug/0.5 ml ovidrel, 200 mg progesterone 2 x daily... all 3 rounds
I can't think of anything.
50 mg Clomid, 250 ug/0.5 ml ovidrel, 200 mg progesterone 2 x daily... all 3 rounds... all BFN
The nursing staff tried everything to get the IUI to go perfectly. When it didn't work well, they quickly made alternative plans to ensure we didn't waste money on a cancelled IUI. The problems that were encountered were due to the damage caused by my cancer treatments.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The clinic has an easy, fast system for IUI that allows for cycles while working your job without having to take a lot of time off. The clinic offers earlier hours for ultrasounds, which allowed be to stop on my way to work.
It was just under $6,000 for 3 rounds of IUI with no coverage under insurance.
We are hoping to do IVF this year. My doctor had a strong opinion about limiting the number of embryos due to my extremely shortened cervix, which agrees with my oncologist and MFMs.
Woodbury

Dr. Jensen went above and beyond to get us pregnant. When the other doctors suggested a sperm donor she went to the urologist to convince him to take our case. For that reason alone we have our babies created with my husbands sperm.... Dr. Jensen is friendly and compassionate. She is exactly the type of doctor you need while going through infertility. She will go above and beyond to get you the results you are seeking. I worked with many doctors while at Mayo and she was the one who really made a difference.
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
Be open and honest. Don’t hold back anything. Give her the chance to answer your questions.
We used an antagonist protocol. The first cycle I did 150 ml of gonal-f and 50 ml of menopur and I overstimulated. The second cycle we started out with less GF and a lupron trigger and it was a perfect retrieval.
They were always very nice but often a little disorganized.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
At times communication seemed to be an issue. We had billing problems that took some effort to get them to fix but with work they were fixed. Always advocate for yourself and watch the bills. Don’t be afraid to get your questions answered. We are paying for a service.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
The consult was $350, the mock transfer and sono was $2k and the Ivf package was around $8700.
Describe Jani Jensen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo encourages eSET but are open to transferring two of you are aware of all risks.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?